dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted before I'd finished icon_mad.gif

That's not to say there isn't an issue here, if people are experiencing games with more than 10 goals regularly then there is a problem. Just because there may be a bug, it doesn't mean to say it will affect everyone straight away.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Not everybody is having the problem. so to say you wont post updates on a forum anymore because of one person IS extreem. You can do what you wish, im not here to ask anything of you. But Jimbo is obviously experiencing it as a bug, just like i am. Since my 17-0 i've had ample 12/11 -0's with one more 15-0 game... (granted, FA Cup L2 v Non-League), and theres a 7/8/9 - 0 Game in the league every week. usually more than one. That to me is a bug. End of.

if jimbo is experiencing these type of results hes not mentioned it all he keeps doing is banging on at others about their results and telling them to post as they must be a bug but says nothing about his results

if he is experiencing this problem lets see him post his fixtures list showing us that hes getting results like these then we might agree with him that its bug

if hes not getting these type of results he should just stop telling people they have bugs because its annoying when you know you've got a squad and tactics that can walkover these mediocre teams in the bsp/s/n every week

Dafuge I know this is not a rule but Rashidi1 has pressed upon this before, a great deal of revenue can be brought in by arranging cup competitions for your reserves and Under 19's. Myself see this as putting other players at an disadvantage, would this be something you would decide to add to the rules?

Originally posted by Evertonbloke:

I just got Super Kyle in my second season on a free. Hes going to struggle to get a game though, my coaches have him down as the 5th best striker in the squad icon_frown.gif

Also my Keeper just scored from his own area icon_smile.gif Blinding!

Keep us update because there is an challenge thread in here about keepers scoring.

Originally posted by ntfc:

Dafuge I know this is not a rule but Rashidi1 has pressed upon this before, a great deal of revenue can be brought in by arranging cup competitions for your reserves and Under 19's. Myself see this as putting other players at an disadvantage, would this be something you would decide to add to the rules?

Trouble is, it is hard to draw a line over what is acceptable and what isn't. I think most of us in the first season have needed to arrange friendlies for our reserves since they have no league to play in. All I can say is that people should be sensible about it. If people are deliberately choosing friendlies to make money, they should know themselves they are playing the system.

If a rule was to be introduced limiting teams for friendlies, it is another thing that has to be checked. When I started this challenge I wanted as few rules as possible, so people could get on with their games and not have to worry about checking other people's games to see if they are cheating. I wanted to leave it fairly open, so it was up to individuals to decide exactly how they wanted to play their games. I think that has worked quite well, and has stopped this challenge becoming a competition and more of a collective experience.

4 Games into the season the Wimbles Are going great 4 wins out of 4. Last game being an outstanding shocker for our opponents losing an astonishing 5-0 and them being the favorites to win this match we sure shocked them, they never feilded a full strength squad thinking they could beat us easily, yet our loans from crystal palace (my parent club) have been outstanding for us, outrunning every player they meet and scoring at the right times. So we have went 4 games out of 4 without conceeding 1 goal! 10 For 0 Agg. We hope to continue this form. We are currently Second in the league. 1st place to 3rd are all tied on 12 points.

Starting to think maybe my 2 seasons of poor form has something to do with playing my home games at Griffin Park for most of the season as they've uprgaded my ground.

Didn't really pay much notice but my form last season picked up when it was completed & I went back to my own stadium & I won't play there until end of Feb this year. My form has again struggled badly, whilst my squad isn't the best I think I should be able to avoid relegation with ease rather then a mass struggle.

Has this effected anyone else's form whilst there stadium was out of use or am I being paranoid? icon_razz.gif

Tiverton BSS Season 1 07/08

Ok, this will just be a quick update, i had quite an average season, and manged to save my team from relegation, finished 16th.

Gonna have to stock my team up with better players to try and make a challenge for the league.

heres my screenshots for the season.

Final League Table

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/david_ashcroft89/TivBSS0708.jpg

League Positions Graph

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/david_ashcroft89/TivGraph0708.jpg

Best Player

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/david_ashcroft89/TivBest0708.jpg

see you next season!

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfc:

Trouble is, it is hard to draw a line over what is acceptable and what isn't. I think most of us in the first season have needed to arrange friendlies for our reserves since they have no league to play in. All I can say is that people should be sensible about it. If people are deliberately choosing friendlies to make money, they should know themselves they are playing the system.

If a rule was to be introduced limiting teams for friendlies, it is another thing that has to be checked. When I started this challenge I wanted as few rules as possible, so people could get on with their games and not have to worry about checking other people's games to see if they are cheating. I wanted to leave it fairly open, so it was up to individuals to decide exactly how they wanted to play their games. I think that has worked quite well, and has stopped this challenge becoming a competition and more of a collective experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree its always been an experience, and those that do so in the spirit of it all have my respect and admiration.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfc:

If a rule was to be introduced limiting teams for friendlies, it is another thing that has to be checked. When I started this challenge I wanted as few rules as possible, so people could get on with their games and not have to worry about checking other people's games to see if they are cheating. I wanted to leave it fairly open, so it was up to individuals to decide exactly how they wanted to play their games. I think that has worked quite well, and has stopped this challenge becoming a competition and more of a collective experience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I come to think of it, what is this challenge about? Personal enjoyment. Not competition. Taking that into consideration, it is up to the people playing the challenge to decide whats morally right or wrong.

Originally posted by andy139s:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Not everybody is having the problem. so to say you wont post updates on a forum anymore because of one person IS extreem. You can do what you wish, im not here to ask anything of you. But Jimbo is obviously experiencing it as a bug, just like i am. Since my 17-0 i've had ample 12/11 -0's with one more 15-0 game... (granted, FA Cup L2 v Non-League), and theres a 7/8/9 - 0 Game in the league every week. usually more than one. That to me is a bug. End of.

if jimbo is experiencing these type of results hes not mentioned it all he keeps doing is banging on at others about their results and telling them to post as they must be a bug but says nothing about his results

if he is experiencing this problem lets see him post his fixtures list showing us that hes getting results like these then we might agree with him that its bug

if hes not getting these type of results he should just stop telling people they have bugs because its annoying when you know you've got a squad and tactics that can walkover these mediocre teams in the bsp/s/n every week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy and Spurs - why so defensive??

SI are concerened about problems with the match engine leading to large scores (total goals not just large wins). They have asked people who experience this to upload the .pkm file so they try and understand why and hopefully fix in a future patch (I assume).

Jim asked politley if you could do this as you mentioned these sorts of scores. In the post to Spurs he did also (if I remember rghtly) congratulate you on turning your form around but you have chosen to ignore this and take his request as an attack on your achivements.

Andy - you say Jim has not mentioned any of these scores in his game - well he posted about a 4-5 playoff final earlier today. As I have already said it is not only 12-0 that is a problem but 6-4 7-3 5-4 etc etc

Ofcourse scores like 7-4 do happen once a twice a saeson (I should know I am a Reading fan) and so they are ok to be in records for the season but if there is match with a total of 10+ goals every week in every divison then this would appear to be a problem to me and obviously SI as well.

If you guys are happy with the game as is the fine, no problem please continue to keep us informed with your progess but please also realise that Jim only wants to help improve the game and (I believe) the vast majority of people in here agree with him that if there are 10+ goal games every week something is wrong which we would all like fixed

icon14.gif Well said Dafuge!

If I want a debate about bugs I'll goto the bugs thread but seeing as this is the Dafuge challenge thread can everyone just please leave this subject alone please. I personally am sick to death coming to this thread to see everything but comments about what is a great game & I think we should all just respect Dafuge & turn this back into what it was.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

If I want a debate about bugs I'll goto the bugs thread but seeing as this is the Dafuge challenge thread can everyone just please leave this subject alone please. I personally am sick to death coming to this thread to see everything but comments about what is a great game & I think we should all just respect Dafuge & turn this back into what it was.

Well said too! I am out of work at 7pm and heading straight back home to begin my 4th season in the BSS.. can't wait!

Guiseley - May 2009 - Blue Square North

Made it to the playoffs icon_cool.gif Just. After a rather miserable first half of the season, we turned things around in the new year and climbed the table to take 5th place.

The improvements was mainly thanks to our two strikers. Glenn Murray's form after joining on loan from Rochdale got the ball rolling, before Lawrence Lambley finished the season off quite brilliantly. Lambley's improvement came as a result of a tactical change. He's lightning quick (Accel 15, Pace 18) so I switched to using him as a target man with supply instructions of 'Run onto Ball'. It worked wonders, and he'd have been getting hattricks every game if he was remotely competent when it comes to one-on-ones.

League Table

Position Graph - Bit of a rollercoaster, but finished the season very strongly, unbeaten in the last 16 games.

So onwards to the playoffs, where we take on Burscough who finished 2nd. We lost 3-0 at their place earlier this season but won 1-0 at home. We have a chance, but they should really be too strong for us.

King's Lynn - 07/08 End of Season Review

As per usual with these challenges, my first season was meant to be spent avoiding relegation and stabilizing the club. However I had ambitions for the play-offs when I got these two from Parent club Norwich.

Wayne Brown

Chris Martin

Both far too good for my league, I felt a little guilty having them at times especially when one or both smashed teams between them. However I wasn't the only team with stupid loan signings so what's good for the goose is good for the...

The season went well but we lacked any consistency to make an meaningful charge on the the title, but it was clear at the halfway point that we'd be in the play-offs. Wayne Brown ended up as our most creative player while his fellow Norwich buddy Martin ended up top scorer with 40 league goals! This wasn't enough to earn him the BSN golden boot as he was beaten by a striker on loan from West Brom.

League Table

League Graph

Season Summary

So onto the play-offs and were up against Tamworth. A team we recently beat 4-3 and earlier that year we drew 0-0. They played with 4 strikers and a lot of width, we're narrow and straight down the middle.

1st Leg

The Norwich factor saw us through, as it was a tight game with those two giving me the quality to walk away with the win.

2nd Leg

They carried on with their 4 strikers and 2 man midfield and were utterly dominated by our midfield. Potter and Torpey were my wingers but play in a narrow midfield, despite this they had too much time and space and we won easily.

Onto the final and no surprises to see Kettering in the final with us, they were a cut above everyone other than the champions this year. However we had beaten them before and with Martin and Brown anything is possible.

Play-Off Final

It was a tight game, tighter than it should have been when they got a player sent off in the 12th min. However it cost me Martin who got an injury. I moved Torpey upfront and he repaid my faith in him and scored what I thought would be the winner. Their equaliser came late but was perhaps deserved. Extra time was dull as we both failed to mount any serious attack. Until the last seconds when Torpey found himself through on goal with no one near him. He shot ata bout 30 yards for no reason and of course missed! Thank god we won on penalties!

Mathew Bailey ended up with Supporters Player of the Year. Despite not scoring a header!

Hendon - League 1 - 2012/2013 Season Review

Well another tough season just as I expected where I started off with ok form but it tailed off towards the middle & after trying pretty much every player in my squad in hope maybe 1 of these youngsters is a hidden star I started to pick up some form. I ended up using a new tactic that was tweaked from my original successfull one & it paid some dividends, I ended up finishing in 15th place & on the face of things it looks like I had a safe year. I can assure you though I really believed I'd get relegated halfway through the season, I just can't seem to stop teams from scoring at all but that's no surprise as my defenders all seem very average & the key DMC spot I couldn't fill with a loan star so used a MC I didn't really want to use there.

I now face the situation where I may get this confidence bug appear, I am in the 3rd year of my contract so I hope this doesn't effect me, I've made a backup save just incase though & will obviously report back if it does indeed happen. I've got another tough summer ahead & I really can't see myself being able to strengthen alot but I feel I have to sell some of my backup to create some funds to at least try & be able to do something.

League 1 Final Table

Season 20/12/2013 Transfers

End Of Season Club Finances

dafuge re my earlier conversation with jimbo and others about managing heybridge after unfairly getting boot at whitby. done one holidayish season with them as whitby won fa trophy but not promoted. Would it be possible if they have not reached a higher level (BSP) to manage them again as it was me who took them that level?

Originally posted by shaggy61:

dafuge re my earlier conversation with jimbo and others about managing heybridge after unfairly getting boot at whitby. done one holidayish season with them as whitby won fa trophy but not promoted. Would it be possible if they have not reached a higher level (BSP) to manage them again as it was me who took them that level?

That's an interesting one, and a question that I don't think has ever been asked in the 3 year history of this challenge.

I think that the original rules could still be adhered to in this situation, which would mean that as soon as your old club has been managed by someone else, they become ineligible.

Des Tiny's Gateshead - Blue Square North - June 08

Following promotion into the Blue Squares the chairman of Gateshead went a little crazy and fired all his staff, both back room and players. All the board could do to save the position was convince a few youngsters to stay . Next they went in search of a new manager. Des Tiny had been a fan of Gateshead as a child and had dreamed of leading them to the Champions league, with a three nil victory over Barca in the final. He submitted his application and with no other applicants, following rumors of the Chairman being insane, he was given the job. Des was handed a small wage budget and no transfer money with the challenge of a safe mid table position. Des agreed to these terms and set out to find some players.

On a side note I am uploading a few save games to my site, they include the following 19 teams, so if you would like the liks please just reply here. Thanks.

Bedford, Gateshead, Hitchen, Worksop, Billericay, Guiseley, Merthyr Tydfil, Chippenham, Marine, Whitby, Chelmsford, Witton Albion, Tiverton, Halesowen, Kings Lynn, Wimbledon, Matlock, Margate & Hednesford.

All are on medium databse.

Originally posted by Gricehead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsar:

i am 6k over my wage budget though which is a little worrying

Ah those Jones boyos. Get you every time icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should have quoted the next post down, obv

Originally posted by Gricehead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsar:

i am 6k over my wage budget though which is a little worrying

Ah those Jones boyos. Get you every time icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jones boyos????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shaggy61:

That's an interesting one, and a question that I don't think has ever been asked in the 3 year history of this challenge.

I think that the original rules could still be adhered to in this situation, which would mean that as soon as your old club has been managed by someone else, they become ineligible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok chap not a problem, its an honour to pose the problem itself icon14.gif

starting to enjoy the challenge of heybridge a little more. Only 5 let in in 7 games but only 2 scored need some strikers!! icon13.gif

however on 3 year contract and just starting 2nd year the club confidence factor doesn't look good, again! icon_mad.gif

deja vu

November 2009

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Kettering 0 - 3 Harrow

Barron

Stech

Ephraim

Harrow 2 - 0 Grimsby (FA Cup 1st Round)

Ephraim (2)

Harrow 0 - 0 Weymouth

Harrow 2 - 0 Rushden

Mackenzie

Ephraim

Oxford 1 - 0 Harrow

Torquay 0 - 2 Harrow (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Hinshelwood (OG)

Ephraim</pre>

Not such a good month in the league for me. We got distracted by our FA Cup campaign. A mighty performance against Grimsby as we gave them a total footballing lesson. We played Arsenal style first time passing and restricted Grimsby to one off target shot. Best performance I've had in this game. We also knocked Torquay out to get into the cash cow that is the third round, only to get an away draw against Accrington Stanley. Who are they ffs? icon_wink.gif Marek Stech my goalkeeper scored. A free-kick from 40 yards, which was later awarded as Goal of the Month and deservedly so. Need to pick up on the league form, and hopefully beat Stanley in the FA Cup to get a real cash cow of a tie.

Current Position: 13th

FA Cup Progress: 3rd Round

Bedford Town - Blue Square South 2010/11 - End of Season Update

Bit late with this one, guys, so my screencaps are limited. i'll try better next season.

the season started well. after a draw, a win and a defeat in the first 3 games we went on a 13 game unbeaten league run, lost one, then a further 17 game unbeaten run.

our defence was awful. truly terrible. looking back we kept only 11 clean sheets all season in 42 game, but our scoring was immense. top scorers in the league with 119 goals. that's an average of 2.83 per game!

most of this was due to our player of the season for the thrid year running, Andy Caton. he scored over 50 goals in all competitions and led the team in goals, assists, MOM's and average rating.

All this led us to sitting in first place with 5 games to go and 2 points in front of our nearest rivals, chelmsford. it was ours to throw away. and throw it away we did. we lost the next game, chelmsford won. this meant they needed to lose for us to get top spot. they didn't. so we finished 2nd. onto the playoffs...

we beat weston super mare home and away with little stress and after a close run game with margate in the final we clinched it in the 93rd minute!!

so its onto the Blue Square Premier.

I got a new contract offered and, against all the odds and a £250k offer accepted by the chairman, i held onto our superstar, at least until january...

i've got a media prediction of dead last and the board have given me 5 years to survive in the division. for some unknown reason i thought i'd tell the board i could achieve a mid-table finish in my first season. i think i was inspired by you guys who did promotions in back to back seasons.

anyway, so far 1've been hammered twice[0-3 and 1-5], taken a lucky 1-1 draw and an even luckier 1-0 victory over fellow newcomers chelmsford. they had 3 goals disallowed...

here's some stuff from last season:

league table

Caton's stats

So i guess i'm in for a struggle this year, but i'll be back to update you all as to my misery. wish me luck icon_smile.gif

first big update

Caton has just torn a groin muscle and is out for the next 2 months... great

Originally posted by migwar:

disenchanted with the lack of quality in the peterborough reserves, i severed my links and set my board off looking for a new one...

the results

great...icon_frown.gif

At least your board looked. I'm now in the Blue Square Premier, and my board still cant see the point in creating links with other clubs. I'm parentless and feederless and just starting season 2012/13.

Ive started as AFC Wimbledon as there were no Sub 1000 teams. icon_frown.gif

Signings

All are on frees

Paul Caton

Asaba

Bennett

Forbes

L.Ellington

Friendly results

AFC Wimbledon 1-2 Norwich

AFC Scorers

A.Caton

Droylsdon 2-0 AFC Wimbledon

AFC Wimbledon 0-0 Boston

So not the best Pre Season especially considering in those 3 games i got 7 Red Cards with them all on Easy Tackling.

Next match is in the League

Originally posted by rashidi1:

I'm shattered...I got me club on the mersey...Marine..but then they have a great rep.......I'm so tempted...will work hard now to get Buxton!!

If you do get Buxton, please please upload the save! I'm about 200 yards from Silverlands as I type..

Life at the New Manor Ground - Continued

2008/09 in the Blue Square North, January and February update

Another poor couple of months, dropping from 7th to 10th and more or less waving goodbye to the playoffs. Even a change of tactics to a more defensive 5-3-2, and the signing of two new strikers hasn't really helped. The board have shut up about Lee Dodgson, and are now whinging on about one of the players our parent club sent to us on loan. Surely that's not right.

January

New Year, new beginning? No, more of the same, as fellow promotees Kings Lynn beat us 4-2 at our place. Matt Somner was dismissed towards the end of the game, causing more midfield selection difficulties. Loanees Ross Davidson from Port Vale and Magnus Fagerli-Spanthus from Sheff Weds came in for the visit to Nuneaton, but were helpless as they overran us 4-0. Desparate measures saw us blow our wage budget by £400 to bring in Juan Ugarte and Poul Hübertz. The two combined excellently, scoring three, to give us our first win of the year against Redditch, but the match was marred yet again by injuries and sendings off. Centre Back Joe Storer, another gift from Mansfield, was the dismissed party, whilst shockingly, Danny Holmes - only two minutes after resuming his season from the bench, hobbled off with a knee injury. This turned out to be ligament damage, and we would miss our star midfielder for another two months.

We scored three again at Farsley Celtic. Sadly, they scored 6. The media now had a new public enemy number one, in our keeper Chris Wright. It wasn't the first time, and it wouldn't be the last time either, that I would find myself trying to defend him to eager journalists. We won (again!), scoring three (again!) before the month was out, against struggling Burscough, but we finished with a disappointing visit to high-flying Witton. They scored 3. We scored zip.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">03/01/09 vs Kings Lynn 2-4 (G: Owen Story, Tom Clarke. SO: Matt Somner) Att: 638

10/01/09 at Nuneaton 0-4

17/01/09 vs Redditch 3-1 (G: Juan Ugarte (2), Poul Hübertz. SO: Joe Storer) Att: 421

24/01/09 at Farsley 3-6 (G: Poul Hübertz (2), Tom Clarke. SO Ross Davidson)

27/01/09 vs Burscough 3-2 (G: Simon Marpley, Juan Ugarte, Poul Hübertz) Att: 551

31/01/09 at Witton 0-3</pre>

February

New month, new tactic? Yes. The 5-3-2 was rolled out, and initial results were promising, although it took a couple of late goals from top scorer Clarke to beat Hucknall. No such look as we visited relatively inferior Worcester and lost. In a last gasp effort to plug the breach, we brough in goalie Barry Breen from Aldershot. He was thrown straight into the first team, and kept a clean sheet as we beat a strong Workington side. A new glimpse of optimism was quickly extinguished by Tamworth at the end of the month. It was a game we should have won, but we were beaten convincingly. Now goals seemed to be the problem again.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">07/02/09 vs Hucknall 2-1 (G: Tom Clarke (2)) Att: 581

14/02/09 at Worcester 1-3 (G: Lee Hoolickin)

21/02/09 vs Workington 1-0 (G: Poul Hübertz) Att: 577

28/02/09 vs Tamworth 1-3 (G: Tom Clarke) Att: 627</pre>

10th P33 W12 D9 L12 GD-10 Pts45

Nine games to go, and we're 11 points off the playoffs, so that's pretty much out of the question. Kettering (82) lead by eleven from Hinckley (71), then it's 8 back to Harrogate (63), followed by Nuneaton (58) and Workington (56).

Poul Hübertz rockets to the top of the best player pile, and it's a mark of our poor form that Danny Holmes is the only other player with a average rating higher than 7. Our finances remain good, a profit of £89k over the season despite a small monthly loss at the moment due to a combination of increased wage budget, decreased attendances and zero cup income.

Coming up: The end of the season, and the end of the link with Mansfield Town icon_mad.gif

Archived