dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by chrishunt1212:

Has anyone managed to get a club with a really low rep? like Ashford Town, Brackley Town, Swindon Supermarine or someone like them with a rep under about 700. I have reloaded my save about 50 or 60 times but the team with the lowest rep was Mangotsfield with a rep of 850.

I tried for ages but no luck

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Which Spurs youngsters did you get by the way? I've currently got 6 that I picked up on free transfers & have Danny Rose, Dag Aleksander Olsen both on loans.

icon_biggrin.gif

Chris Rilley and Andrew Bercham. I'm working on building friendships with everyone in the prem now, haha!

Hendon - League 2 - 2010/2011

Just a short review as I'm about to go do dinner but I have finished the season now & to my amazement won the league pretty comfortably. Was solid all the way through the season & didn't have any bad patches of form to note, just the odd defeat as you'd expect.

League Table Club Finances Full List Of Season Transfers

I've already started to prepare for next season by selling some of my backup players from this season, I'm not entirely sure what my plan is player wise for next season as I feel quite a few of this squad is league 2 standard but are over-performing for me. Do I risk it that they'll handle league 1 or try to get in quite a few new plaers ........

kanovi

i agree. i'm getting mine from league one team peterborough, and i consider this scenario highly unlikely...

chrishunt

it was documented early on that some had tried hundreds of reloads, and no really low clubs appeared, with the exception of the submarine, but the save vanished from the users computer, or something, the next day...

i personally really wanted team bath, but as they have the lowest rep the chances are miniscule...

Originally posted by kaNovi:

I find it very unrealistic you can get that good loans so far down the leagues.. i do not believe that happenes in real life footy icon_smile.gif

I think SI should look at this for sure.

I think it's realistic to get loans when in league 2 or league 1 from premiership teams as alot have partnerships in real life. You have to remember though that the cpu teams also loan players, if you didn't try to compete with your own you would really be at a disadvantage.

Tactics are still the main priority imo, get that sorted & you can mix/match some decent players of your own with some quality loan signings.

I find it very unrealistic you can get that good loans so far down the leagues.. i do not believe that happenes in real life footy icon_smile.gif

I think it is too easy to get good players on loan in the BSN and BSS in the game.

However, I feel in the game it is too easy to sign players full stop (not just on loan)

Also seeing as Reading youngsters have been mentioned above I think I should point out that this season in real life Reading have 2 young players on loan to BSP sides (Curtis Osano at Rushden and Scott Davies at Aldershot)

For league side i kinda agree that it would be ok to get players from prem teams.. But in the BSN/S and getting players from CH/PRM teams are unlikely, maybee you could get a couple but they shouldnt be that good..

In my first season ive got 3 players who could play in a championship side.. that was over the top =)

Thought I'd try to get a new parent club this summer as Fulham were likely to release the players I'd loan this season giving me few players to really go for next season & to my shock I was offered either Chelsea, QPR or Millwall!

Can't wait to see who they offer me

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Question: If I cancel my affiliation with a parent club part way through a season, do the players I currently have on loan get returned or do I keep them until their loan expires?

Yeah they do so do it in the summer like I just did, as long as you cancel you should still get a club around the same level as the one you had but a chance of someone much better.

It is worth the risk if you get promoted as you become more desired to loan players to.

Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

Question: If I cancel my affiliation with a parent club part way through a season, do the players I currently have on loan get returned or do I keep them until their loan expires?

I think that when you cancel a link it does not happen immediately but at the end of the season as you have the argeement till then - so loans and argeement will stay

Another thing to consider is that all the prem players I've got are under twenty one and with the exception of the Reading players almost all are only on a couple of hundred a week.

As noted above prem players do go on loan to low league teams, the primary reason they do this is because it's probably made clear to them that they only have a one year contract and should probably consider their career as they're not going to be staying with the club. Either that or that even the ammount of reserves team football they'll get will be limited.

Has anyone had luck signing released higher league players that have been on loan with their team?

I've often found even if they end up with the club as a favorite they still want silly money to sign for me or just plain don't want to in earlier versions of FM.

Originally posted by Spagbol:

Another thing to consider is that all the prem players I've got are under twenty one and with the exception of the Reading players almost all are only on a couple of hundred a week.

As noted above prem players do go on loan to low league teams, the primary reason they do this is because it's probably made clear to them that they only have a one year contract and should probably consider their career as they're not going to be staying with the club. Either that or that even the ammount of reserves team football they'll get will be limited.

Argeed - I seem to be taking both sides here!! - however, I still feel it is too easy to get the loans. In real life (as you suggest) the Reading players on loan in the BSP are very unlikely to make it at Reading (and also as noted above Osano often gets released in the game!) so loaned as far as down as the conference is realistic. However, the players you mentioned are actually much more highly rated and in real life would / have / are only be loaned to League 1 or Championship sides

Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnnyquest409:

I think that when you cancel a link it does not happen immediately but at the end of the season as you have the argeement till then - so loans and argeement will stay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.. the loans will end, im 90% sure

So to clarify what I am saying....

1) Players at Prem clubs do in real life get loaned down to the divisions we are talking about but....

2) Players at Prem clubs who are thought to have future at the club do not get loaned down this far

3) So SI (and our rules here) should not impose a maximum number of leagues between clubs in a loan deal but the system should be modified maybe using the players status (i.e. no hot prospects being loaned from Prem to anyone below League 1)

IRL Watford have sent 18 year old players to Wealdstone for some experience, last year it was Theo Robinson (currently on loan to League 2 Hereford) and John-Joe O'Toole who probably will be playing against Palace tonight.

Avinel is at BSP Stafford Rangers and so was Scott Loach until Poom was injured.

So it does happen, just no where near as often in the game.

I think Jimbo is right and perhaps for next years challenge dafuge should add some rules regarding loans and possibly parent clubs.

So loan and parent clubs sould only be a maximum of two league up the chain, e.g. in the BSS/BSN League 2.

If a club starts with anything higher then that then the link needs to be cancelled.

Carshalton - End of season Update!

Manager - Craig Douglas

Final League Position - 14th (BSP)

Carshalton Information

Transfers

Team Sheet

Star Players

Stephen Maher (AMC)

Joe Thompson (AM RL / ST)

Sam Collier (GK) - Potential Legend

Summary -

After an indifferent first half to the season, Carshalton found themselves only 5 points out of the relegation zone. With the manager Craig Douglas getting ever worried, it was time for a change. So, i hired a New Scout and he got straight down to business. In the January transfer window, i strengthened the squad with some top new defenders and midfilders, and a better back up GK. and boy did it show. The second half of the season saw a much better performance from carshalton, who ended up an impressive 14th, winning no less than 9 of thier final 12 games.!!!

Things to note:

Im not very impressed with the amount of goals scored this season in the league, with Oxford scoring over 100 goals and the bottom two teams conceeding over 100 goals each with Nuneaton conceeding a whopping 154 goals.

Anyway, i've already got a new striker coming in next season, so hopefully i will be able to improve on a 14th place, and get closer to the playoffs.

Hmm.. im having some big problems.. last 10 games i have conceded AND in every match the opposition has scored on a header. i dont understand this, my defenders are better header and jumpers than those who score..

Any1 else having this problem ?

I'm not too sure about adding rules about loans and parent clubs.

The bottom line is if you fill out your team with youth loans from the prem, you're still paying their higher wages and you're making sure none of your own players are getting games. Thus rather then developing your own prospects for sale you're pushing your resources for no future gain.

I've got loads of prem kids at the moment, but even if I romp BSS I'm not going to have a team next season as most of my wage limit's gone on kids and they're all going home come June.

It's a definate early advantage, but it's a huge second season set back as well. It's something that needs proper debate really, probably in it's own thread.

Originally posted by Spagbol:

The bottom line is if you fill out your team with youth loans from the prem, you're still paying their higher wages

I've yet to pay the wages for a single loanee and I'm not just talking about players sent by the parent club.

Ungface - unlucky mate! Still 15 match unbeaten is fantastic, the best I've done is 6 and that was touch and go, relying on cup games and replays.

jamesf18 - Well done mate, the play-off's were my best friend on last years challenge too!

I'll be my first update in a bit...

Damn this season is going to be tough in league 1, I managed to get 1 really decent loan player from Chelsea but so far everyone else is rejecting any loan bids. Even those who were at Hendon last season in the league 2 refuse to come now we're in league 1.

Just hope my new scouting brings up a few gems or I'll be 3 or 4 players short of having a decent squad this season I feel.

King's Lynn - 08/09 - Update

I went into this hoping to get a team with a lower reputation than King's Lynn, but after holidaying to the 19th it seems that all the teams were promoted. Could have sworn it was the 20th last time round, so my mistake meant that I was stuck with what I got first time round. Hitchin and King's Lynn were the 'best' that I got and I didn't fancy Hitchin.

Kings started with two players on loan from parent club Norwich, Chris Martin I could believe how could he was and promptly extended the Coldplay singer's loan. Encouraged by the signing of Martin I looked to raid Norwich further, getting a 17yr old keeper for back up, but the real quality steal was for this guy Wayne Brown. These two and Mathew Bailey (I could have kissed my scout for this 1) were going to be the spine of the side.

We've been really inconsistent so far this season, we won our first 2 games and then lost our next 2, it's a trend that has continued thus far, we do however find ourselves in 5th place. I would be delighted to finish there! Part of the problem was that Martin despite being brilliant was missing plenty of chances and I decided to give him a kick up the backside and tell the guy that I expected a performance from him against Hednesford. That worked then. It only works with a high morale though, which is a pain. But that result helped me et some nice praise.

All in all a good start, hopefully we can make the play-offs but I doubt that we'll have the consistency to actually win them.

P.S I hope the links work, I haven't looked at photobucket since last years challenge and it's different and confusing.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Damn this season is going to be tough in league 1, I managed to get 1 really decent loan player from Chelsea but so far everyone else is rejecting any loan bids. Even those who were at Hendon last season in the league 2 refuse to come now we're in league 1.

Just hope my new scouting brings up a few gems or I'll be 3 or 4 players short of having a decent squad this season I feel.

That's what it was like for me in last years challenge, nobody wants to got to you. So you have to rely on scouting, I'd recommend looking at Ireland and Wales. The problem with that is once those players get good you're forced to sell them and you end up with loads of money but with no one to spend it on!

Originally posted by Storzy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

That's what it was like for me in last years challenge, nobody wants to got to you. So you have to rely on scouting, I'd recommend looking at Ireland and Wales. The problem with that is once those players get good you're forced to sell them and you end up with loads of money but with no one to spend it on! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a budget of £150k this season after selling some squad players from last season but the kinda players I want to sign are all too much. I'm currently trying to sign Ben Alnwick from Tottenham but they won't go below £190k which is just above my budget & would take most of my wages left if I transfer it over so don't really want to.

As for free transfers I've not got to the stage of players leaving who were out of contract this season so hope to pick 1 or 2 up. The youth that has been released has been pretty poor so I'm relying on my scouts finding some regens to look at.

Failing that I am struggling loan wise massively now but I am pleased to have got 2 players from Chelsea in Tom Taiwo & Gael Kakuta.

I still need to buy myself a goalkeeper, left back, centre back & a striker before the season starts to quite a bit of work to go.

HELP.!

I think im about to get the SACK.!

I finished 3rd in my first season (BSN) but got promoted through the play-offs.

Now in the second season, i've finished 14th in the BSN, but my 'Long term expectations is at rock bottom, because naturally, im not going to WIN the BSN. How do i get myself out of this predicament.!

I wont continue with my game until i get an answer, because i dont want to get fired for being TOO good.!

(P.S - pre-season, i ticked the 'fight bravely against relegation' for the BSP')

Nepenthez if I was you make a backup save at this save just incase you do as it would clearly be a bug that could be fixed with a patch so you could continue.

I don't think they will actually sack you if you're in the BSP when your target is BSN winners and it is just a bit too confused.

Thanks for the support mate icon_biggrin.gif

I did just that, and made a back up save. They seem to be happy with me here still, since i've given them this season expectations already, and again they want me to fight bravly against relegation, and again i have stated i will avoid relegation.!

Guys, have been reading this topic and last year's version with great interest. Having just got 08 a couple of days ago (but not having had time to play), I've decided to make this challenge my first game on then new version. I'm really excited to manage in the depths of the lower leagues as it's not something I've been known to do in FM. Would it be okay if I started in unpatched game (as the patch for WWSM has yet to be released)?

Originally posted by Aario:

So to clarify what I am saying....

1) Players at Prem clubs do in real life get loaned down to the divisions we are talking about but....

2) Players at Prem clubs who are thought to have future at the club do not get loaned down this far

3) So SI (and our rules here) should not impose a maximum number of leagues between clubs in a loan deal but the system should be modified maybe using the players status (i.e. no hot prospects being loaned from Prem to anyone below League 1)

Can you tell me the name of 1 single player that has been loaned from a Premiership club to a Conference North/South club?

I've just seen the post about Theo Robinson. I guess that I have to stand corrected on that.

Still, you would agree that this sort of thing is the exception rather than the rule. In reality, young Premiership players usually don't go down lower than League 2. This is partly to both the standard and type of football played lower down, but also the leval of both facilities and coaching available at that level.

I'm honestly surprised that that Watford would let a "kid" go to Wealdstone for as long as they did, but..... they did.

In any case, now that it has been proved that it does happen, I must change my argument slightly in that it does happens "too much in the game".

I am already playing under my own self regulated rules which mean that I will only ask a player to drop doen a maximum of 3 divisions. I honestly believe that this area of the game is not accurate and the way I am playing is more accurate to real life. I'm not trying to shove these rules down anyone else's throat, but I would ask that they be at least considered for next years challenge.

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

HELP.!

Now in the second season, i've finished 14th in the BSN, but my 'Long term expectations is at rock bottom, because naturally, im not going to WIN the BSN. How do i get myself out of this predicament.!

I wont continue with my game until i get an answer, because i dont want to get fired for being TOO good.!

(P.S - pre-season, i ticked the 'fight bravely against relegation' for the BSP')

its a known bug.. and a real shitty one ! if your contract is up for renewal, you might not get a new one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

HELP.!

its a known bug.. and a real shitty one ! if your contract is up for renewal, you might not get a new one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well i should be ok for a while, i had a 5 year contract at the start, and am only 2 years into it...

Archived