dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st Match Vs AFC Wimbledon

3-1 (W)

Fortune-West,Crooks,Lokando

My first win in BSP, and it was 38 year old Fortune West who grabbed the equaliser and set me on my way

2nd Match Vs Macclesfield

0-2 (L)

A dissapointing performance, especially after my hammering of them in pre-season, but maybe 6/6 is too much to expect in my first season, where i'm predicted to finish 22nd

3rd Match Vs Grays

0-1 (L)

I missed loads of chances, but couldn't find a way through

4th match Vs Crawley

0-0 (D)

At least i got a point and a clean sheet, but it could have been more did Lokando not push the keeper in the last minute, an incident that resulted in a touchline ban for me.

5th match Vs Kidderminster

1-2 (L)

Lokando

Kidderminster took the lead, but an equaliser by Lokando seemed to have got me a point, until Constable scored a free kick just before the hour mark

6th Match Vs York

0-2 (L)

A match against the team placed first couldn't be expected to yield much, and thats how it turned out, leaving me in 18th at the end of the month with 4 points and a GD of -4. Still, could be worse, could be managing AFC Wimbledon, who are still to even draw a game, and their only goal came against me.

Table

Also, 2 more loans were bought in from Norwich, Chris Smith returning for 3 moths and Archie Campbell coming over for the whole season. Campbell in particular looks to be a star, with the report predicting an ability rivalling many Championship players.

Campbell report

Smith report

Originally posted by Swindon69:

Don't you just love it when teams try to buy your 30 goal striker for £5k when you've told them 10 times it's not enough.

I'm getting constant bids for my Premier League and Championship quality players, despite asking for £2.5m they just keep on bidding around £200k. It is getting annoying now, one of them even managed to unsettle one of my players the day before the playoff final which I lost, that annoyed me.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Nice touch.

I quite like that, although it gets a bit annoying if you play the same club a few times in a short space of time.

I had to make comments on an ex player three times in one season, whatever I said he seemed to have the match of his life.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Nice touch.

I quite like that, although it gets a bit annoying if you play the same club a few times in a short space of time.

I had to make comments on an ex player three times in one season, whatever I said he seemed to have the match of his life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said we knew his game well and would look to nullify the threat and he did nothing all game icon_cool.gif September update imminent. It's prettier this time.

September Update

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Stevenage 2 - 1 Harrow

McGarry

Harrow 1 - 2 Farsley

Jailow

Burton 0 - 1 Harrow

Ephraim

Southport 1 - 1 Harrow

Jailow

Harrow 0 - 0 Rochdale

Harrow 7 - 0 Northwich

Barron (2)

Jailow

Ephraim (3)

Osano

Boston Utd 1 - 3 Harrow

Mackenzie

Ephraim

Dimov</pre>

I got Ephraim and Tomkins back on loan from West Ham, and also Stech from the Hammers after the Farley game. What a difference they've made. Stech is just incredible, got two man of the match awards already as I look a lot more solid, Tomkins came 2nd in the player of the month award in central defence. I just love it when the unexpected happens, I get 1 game a season so far where everything just goes perfectly, last season it was St. Albans, this season Northwich faced my wrath.

Current Position: 19th

Originally posted by birdy123:

Does anybody have a list of reputations for the original BS N/S teams, or know the teams with the lowest reputation? I want to try out with a team with low reputation on the demo to get a feel for what my challenge will be like when I get the full game.

Can I suggest Barrow?

I've got no idea what their reputation is like, but it will give you something to measure your success on before starting this one.

End of Season Update - 2010/2011 (Ilkeston Town)

2008/2009 - 14th Blue Square North

2009/2010 - 15th Blue Square North

2010/2011 - 2nd Blue Square North (promoted via playoffs)

New season, new tactics, new parent club, newfound success!!

We'd struggled in previous seasons but after sacking Mansfield Town as our parent club, we were delighted to found a new relationship with Nottingham Forest, and it's in a big part down to the generosity of Forest that Ilkeston Town will be playing in the Blue Square Premier next year.

1 keeper, 1 defender, 2 midfielders and a striker came on loan from Forest, and they gelled incredibly well with my existing players in a 5-3-2 counter attacking formation.

47 goals from 44 appearances made Jamie Guy my star player.

Home grown(ish) Zac Richardson bagged 36 from 43, although there are some bigger clubs sniffing around him now - i hope to hold on to him.

We were beaten in the final of the FA Trophy by Rochdale which would have only added to a superb season from the boys, especially considering we were only supposed to claim a mid-table finish.

The playoff final itsself was a nail biter - 3-1 up with only 6 minutes to go we conceded twice to take it to an uneventful extra time. Penalties it was - and fortunaltely Telford missed all of theirs while we only missed 4 out of 5!

Screenprints below. Damn this game is addictive icon_smile.gif

League Table

Squad

Squad Stats

Playoff Final

Jamie Guy - Star Striker

Zac Richardson - Other Star Striker

David Jones - Excellent from Midfield

David Funnell - Very promising midfielder

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

Does anybody have a list of reputations for the original BS N/S teams, or know the teams with the lowest reputation? I want to try out with a team with low reputation on the demo to get a feel for what my challenge will be like when I get the full game.

Can I suggest Barrow?

I've got no idea what their reputation is like, but it will give you something to measure your success on before starting this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyou, will give it a go.

Hope dafuge doesnt mind this off-topic question icon_smile.gif - but could I just ask what specs PC people are playing this challenge on.

I am looking at getting a new PC (not much money to spend though), and seeing as some people whizz through the seasons, what spec PC do you have?

Aario - Halesowen - season 1 (08/09) BSN -Mid term update

I seem to be very slow at this as have only just to January in my first season in charge of Halesowen

Anyway - I have signed a load of players but still have 4 or 5 original players around the first team squad. We are out of all the cups but currently sit 4th in the BSN. Had a terrible end of November and begining of December when all my strickers were injured so the goals dried up and we have never been that great at the back so we lost our unbeaten home record, went out of all the cups and dropped from 2nd to 5th. However, a win on boxing day looks like it may have got us back on track. Boston appear to be running away with the league so it looks like the playoffs are the best I can hope for. I have Kidderminster as a parent club but the only players they have offered to loan me so far have been from their U18's and have not been any better (or even as good) as my squad but they have just said that they may be sending me a half decent looking player (if he decides he wants to join me) so I will probably take him but still only a squad player / sub rather then someone who will really help

Anyhow best get on with it now

Originally posted by Master T:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master T:

Ok kkkkkkkk, something just went wrong.

As you know Bedford start in Blue Square South but for some reason this has happened this season:

Say whattttt

Don't know what to do now.

Well they don't start there put you get my point. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's to do with where Bedford is. If you take all of the 44 teams across Blue Square North and South at the beginning of each season, the 22 teams that are furthest south get put in BSS and the 22 furthest north teams are put in BSN. So I would say that Blue Square North and South as a whole gained a team, either by promotion or relegation, that is further south than Bedford, which pushed Bedfore into BSN. Geddit?

Originally posted by alexdodo:

End of Season Update - 2010/2011 (Ilkeston Town)

We'd struggled in previous seasons but after sacking Mansfield Town as our parent club, we were delighted to found a new relationship with Nottingham Forest, and it's in a big part down to the generosity of Forest that Ilkeston Town will be playing in the Blue Square Premier next year.

Hmm. I'm joining others in thinking that Parent Clubs play a little bit too much of a part in playing in the lower leagues. I'm also playing Ilkeston (although much more slowly than you) and am coming to the conclusion that having Mansfield as a parent club is a disability too far. Teams like Kings Lynn absolutely hammering me thanks to their £550k midfield loanee from Norwich who basically dominates the game.

Just marking time now to the end of the season so I can sack Mansfield.

Originally posted by jsufc88:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master T:

As you know Bedford start in Blue Square South but for some reason this has happened this season:

Say whattttt

Well they don't start there put you get my point. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's to do with where Bedford is. If you take all of the 44 teams across Blue Square North and South at the beginning of each season, the 22 teams that are furthest south get put in BSS and the 22 furthest north teams are put in BSN. So I would say that Blue Square North and South as a whole gained a team, either by promotion or relegation, that is further south than Bedford, which pushed Bedfore into BSN. Geddit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh i do squire, thank you very much.

Was pooing my pants for a second then. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Master T:

Say whattttt

Bedford's probably on the edge of the dividing line for the North and South divisions, and if the teams promoted up to and relegated down to them are balanced more towards either the north or the south (in this case, let's say all 4 teams coming down from the Blue Square Premier are in London or south, and maybe the two teams coming up from the Isthmian League are in Bristol or somewhere else around there, along with the teams coming from the Southern League they'd all have to go to the South, so the Blue Square South would be promoting 2 teams, relegating 3, but gaining 8, leaving them with 3 extra. Since the North would only be gaining the 2 teams from the Northern League, they'd be 3 teams short, and thus the 3 northernmost teams from the South would move up to the north. It probably wouldn't happen this way, but it's going to happen that teams will have to switch divisions if they're on the borderline and there's an uneven split in promotion and relegation.

Was that explanation complicated enough for you? :p

Well, I decided to say I'd mount a title challenge this year, so my wage budget is £5000... I was spending about £3600 last season, overbudget by about £1000, so it's good to have some breathing room to sign some more quality players.

Just lost to Whitby in the second round of the Setanta Shield, to be greeted with 3 physio messages of players injured for up to a month, and also 2 players regretting their errors that gifted Whitby with 2 out of their 3 goals.

Of my top 4 strikers 2 are out through injury and 1 still has 2 games left to go on his ban. This cant be good for my next few matches.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Just lost to Whitby in the second round of the Setanta Shield, to be greeted with 3 physio messages of players injured for up to a month, and also 2 players regretting their errors that gifted Whitby with 2 out of their 3 goals.

Of my top 4 strikers 2 are out through injury and 1 still has 2 games left to go on his ban. This cant be good for my next few matches.

About to play my next game, and its a total of 5 players injured, 1 suspended and 2 on international duty. All but 1 of these players are regulars.

King's Lynn - Season 2008-2009 review

After the very harsh September things continued the same way. Hard fought victories time from time, and losses just as often. Luckily - only Kettering and Southport were doing great, while the rest stumbled as often as I did.

6 games to the end of the season found me falling to the 5th place, but a good finish saw me go up to 3rd after all. League positions graph

That meant play-offs for me. And the Nuneaton as my opponent in the semis. To say I was extremely pleased with that is a massive understatement. Lost my home game in the season to them 2-4, but the away game was the best I had in the year - Nuneaton away

The semis started with the easy part - the away game icon_wink.gif.

Blue Square North Playoff Semi Final Leg 1

The hattrick of Chris Martin made it 10 goals scored in 3 games for him against Nuneaton icon_biggrin.gif. However, the confident victory came with a price. A knock recieved by Michael Spillane, my only brilliant midfielder put him out for 1-3 weeks. And that meant missing the Playoff final if I got there. A real tragedy for King's Lynn.

Blue Square North Playoff Semi Final Leg 2

A man of the match performance from my GK meant the mini-tradition of away victories between our clubs was broken. King's Lynn were through to the Final icon14.gif However this time with the only semi-decent LB getting a knock.

On the day of the Final against Southport the mood was pessimistic. Lost both league games to them, and Spillane and the LB only resumed light training and were at 70% condition both. I was so desperate for at least a chance of winning the Final though, that both of them went into the starting 11.

After me telling the lads that they can win it, the game started. And on the 29th minute the genius that is Chris Martin put us one up. It fell apart quickly after that. 1-2 down at HT icon_frown.gif

Gave them the same talk. You can win it icon_biggrin.gif And inspired by my words Martin scored the equalizer just seconds after the game re-started. We simply couldn't lose this game anymore. And after withstanding heavy pressure for the rest of the 2-nd half Martin ran away on a counter-attack and got himself a hat-trick on the 88th minute. Absolutely brilliant game, and King's Lynn are getting promoted icon_smile.gif

Spillane and the LB played all 90 minutes icon_razz.gif

Blue Square North Playoff Final

Chris Martin with 54 goals in 48 games deservedly won the Player of the Season in the league, while I was 2nd in the Manager of the Season.

Cups

FA Cup

2nd Qual. Rnd

King's Lynn 2-2 Harlow

Harlow 2-4 King's Lynn

3rd Qual. Rnd

Braintree 0-3 King's Lynn

4th Qual. Rnd

King's Lynn 2-0 Histon

1st Round

King's Lynn 1-6 Bristol Rovers icon_biggrin.gif

Setanta Shield

1st Rnd

King's Lynn 6-1 Workington

2nd Rnd

Harrogate 2-3 King's Lynn

3rd Rnd

Stalybridge 3-2 King's Lynn

FA Trophy

1st Rnd

Kettering 2-2 King's Lynn

King's Lynn 1-0 Kettering

2nd Rnd

King's Lynn 1-1 Chester

Chester 3-1 King's Lynn (after ET)

Board delighted with all cup performances

That's about it icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Ive signed a couple of broad knowing coaches, and im pleased with my knowledge for a league 2 team! take a look:

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10282007171913np0.jpg

How much do you other guys have ?

Is it just me or has it taken you about a day to reach League 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Game was started yesterday and all updates made yesterday, striaght promotions.

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Ive signed a couple of broad knowing coaches, and im pleased with my knowledge for a league 2 team! take a look:

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10282007171913np0.jpg

How much do you other guys have ?

Is it just me or has it taken you about a day to reach League 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Game was started yesterday and all updates made yesterday, striaght promotions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty amazing, how do you manage to play so fast?

I can manage about one season a day if I put aside non essential things like eating/sleeping.

Archived