dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by stinger061:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I picked whoever Cole Skuse and Frankie Artus were at and I got Slocombe too, but I got players from the other Bristol club and a couple of other clubs too.

We were just so much better than the opposition once the players were match fit that it was silly.

Maybe I was just lucky.

I've certainly been making up for it since icon_rolleyes.gif.

Sounds like you were really lucky, I've never had more than two players from my parent club and they have never been that much better than my existing squad.

I've never gone out looking for loans though, just accepted the two players my parent sent me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also intend to follow this theory. I'll take what im offered but wont specifically go out asking to take players on loan so as to avoid crowding my squad with loan players who are far to good for the league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us cannot fill our teams with loan players anyway - I've only managed to get one player on loan icon_frown.gif

Even my Parent Team Blue Square Premier Side Southport wouldn't send me any players on loan, not that they have anyone worth loaning icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

The board have FINALLY agreed to upgrade the training and youth facilities.

Get some "Super Kids" next season.

Do you know how long this takes? Mine said they were upgrading them and it shouldnt take long in june, and now its august and they arent upgraded

Okay, question time.

I, like someone earlier, signed Bontcho Guentchev without a trial, and I did not notice whether I could scout him or not because I didn't have any scouts when I found him. But, I found him when he was still at Hendon, and started attempting to sign him at that point. By the time the deal was done, he'd been released on a free (and may or may not have been scoutable, but I didn't notice since I was already trying to sign him). Was this a legal signing?

Originally posted by Donald-Duck:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3Sixty:

The board have FINALLY agreed to upgrade the training and youth facilities.

Get some "Super Kids" next season.

Do you know how long this takes? Mine said they were upgrading them and it shouldnt take long in june, and now its august and they arent upgraded </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea, they have been upgrading my training since about May im now in November.

Originally posted by Master T:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

Well, after getting bored of reloading to try and get Staines or Leek Town, I have decided to go with Chippenham.

My Profile

How come you have lots of knowledge for other countries? I only have England on mine. icon_confused.gif

icon_frown.gif I don't get this knowledge stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't get it either. I have American set as my only nationality and have no coaches/players with anything other than England/Wales and yet Holland/Germany/Belgium show in my knowledge? icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Master T:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

Well, after getting bored of reloading to try and get Staines or Leek Town, I have decided to go with Chippenham.

My Profile

How come you have lots of knowledge for other countries? I only have England on mine. icon_confused.gif

Hes american. Knowledge is based on your country

Ok, after a rather disastrous start to the challenge, I decided to start over (still with Billericay and still with the same manager profile) and it's going much better now.

I finally got my tactics under control (sort of) and I'm about to start the season after having played 5 pre-season friendies (4 wins and 1 draw).

So i'm hoping it's gonna be better this time. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by SonicAD:

Okay, question time.

I, like someone earlier, signed Bontcho Guentchev without a trial, and I did not notice whether I could scout him or not because I didn't have any scouts when I found him. But, I found him when he was still at Hendon, and started attempting to sign him at that point. By the time the deal was done, he'd been released on a free (and may or may not have been scoutable, but I didn't notice since I was already trying to sign him). Was this a legal signing?

Yes that's fine, you are able to scout foreign free transfers who's last club was English, it's the foreign free transfers who have not played in England that you can't scout.

Originally posted by mfarrelly1:

will give the update soon, as not at my house, but with tiverton in the second season i made 5th and the playoffs

media prediction was 16th and in the playoff 1st leg i was beaten 2-0 at home

straight after this, the board say they are not renewing my contract and the media are speculating about who will take my job!

I havent even played the 2nd leg yet! i Just wondered whether i am allowed to apply for the new jobs with the teams that have come up, or do i have to start new user? thanks

You are allowed to apply for jobs, provided the clubs meet the original criteria. Alternatively, you could add a new user or start a new game.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley:

7points behind Leigh RMI who don't actually conceed goals. They conceded 12 after 24 games and were flying away with it.

I'll take the credit for RMI's excellent season as i'm their club researcher. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one, kept that one quiet didn't you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think i mentioned it briefly in last seasons challenge thread. I been doing it since FM05 and still going. They became my favorite non-league side when they took Fulham to a replay in the FA Cup 1n 1999 i think it was.

I started going to most of their home games and thought i'd apply for their club researcher vacancy, the rest is history as they say. icon_cool.gif

*correct icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

Guess what?

I went to almost every home game of theirs between '97 and '01 including the Fulham game you speak of, both the replay at home and the original tie at Craven Cottage. Went to a few away games too, including one up in Wales. Was much more fun than supporting a big team imo.

I lived about 10 minutes from their ground too. I remember the season they won the Unibond First Division, Steve Jones now of Burnley banging them in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quality aaberdeenn, small world heh. icon14.gif

Steve Jones was a super player for us, i was gutted to see him leave (although RMI benefited hugely from the £75,000 transfer fee they received). I've currently got a little RMI save on the go at present. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. icon14.gif

I still followed them up until I moved up here about 5 years ago now. Now it's Aberdeen home & away. icon_wink.gif The good life. icon_cool.gif

Aye, he was class, ex England semi-pro too.

I might have a blast with them at some point. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Master T:

My Profile

I really don't get it either. I have American set as my only nationality and have no coaches/players with anything other than England/Wales and yet Holland/Germany/Belgium show in my knowledge? icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange icon_frown.gif

Welp Ive finally gotten to sit down and get my game with Matlock going. The pre-season wasnt very good as I only managed to beat my reserve team. The start of the season wasnt any better. My top signing striker and central defender were injured in the first 21 minutes of the opener. Lost the frist three games. Then the team started to get it. Ran off a 6 game unbeaten streak with 4 wins. Climbed from bottom of the table to 12th.

Managed to get Sheffield Wednesday as my parent club and they sent me Sean McAllister who has dominated the center of the park every game. Unfortunately I couldnt play him in my first FA Cup qual game and lost that 2-0 a couple minutes ago. Gonna sit down and hopefully bang out the rest of the season this afternoon. If I can finish between 8-12 I will consider it a good season as Ive never been that good of a FM player lol. Keep ya posted.

Off to a horrid start so far. Have only scored one goal in 3 games and have allowed 9. I'm having a horrible time getting coaches to sign and my players are horribly out of shape as a result.

Despite the patch notes saying it was fixed, and individual instructions (which i rarely ever use) tell my strikers specifically to make forward runs (with and without the ball), they seem to prefer to just sit in the middle of the park and stand on the ball when they get it until they either find someone to pass to or lose it. Its driving me insane.

Ok so I reached the play-offs. Here's the semi-final result. Let's just hope this coding works :/

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Blue Square South Play Off Semi Final Leg 1

Billericay 2-3 Merthyr Tydfil

Ben Lea, 32 Derek Asamoah, 5,42

Mick Hay, 34 Joe Gatting, 53 </pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Blue Square South Play Off Semi Final Leg 2

Merthyr Tydfil 1-1 Billericay

Derek Asamoah, 23 AJ Leitch-Smith, 55 </pre>

So I got through to the final icon_cool.gif

Wish me luckicon14.gif

Sorry if the coding dosent work icon_wink.gif

Halesowen 08/09 Conf South

After waiting a week for the game to arrive though the post i've finally been able to start. After 30 reloads only sub 1000 team i've got is Halesowen twice, so its clearly meant to be. Strangely they have a full squad already 42 players in fact!

Well i've had a pretty good start to my 3rd season in the BSN. I'm top and seem to be scoring goals quite well.

I thought i should highlight the record of a certain player of mine who i've had at the club for the past 3 seasons on loan from West Brom.

Stuart Nicholson has what i consider to be probably the best record for goalscoring of any player i've ever used on FM.

Played 93 (6) and scored 98 goals!!!

Hopefully he will carry on this amazing record for the next 6-7 months and get me promoted.

Kanovi - You say noone else is using Prescott, well as soon as I recieve a copy of the game here in New Zealand I will be taking over as the manager of Prescot Cables, when I saw noone else wanted them it made sense, and now I guess there will be two of us.

Spurs1979 - Hendon - 2009/2010 - Blue Square Premier

Well I just finished my summer transfer movements & totally adjusted alot within the club on both a staff level as well as playing level.

I got rid of every staff member I had as they were pretty awfull & I'd only had them on a 1 year contract just so I could scout & have coaches etc. None of my staff that came in are really shocking but I feel they're decent enough for this level that we're at. My new assistant manager is Tunisian national Dino Maamria who brings with him knowledge of Tunisia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon & Algeria not that I've signed anywhere on this knowledge yet but it might prove helpfull during the season.

Staff ins & outs

My first task was to release no fewer then 12 players from there contracts after they had run out, I didn't intend on any of these to be more then a short term option for the first season so am happy to have released some funds for my wage bill.

On the playing front I decided to attempt to bring in 3 or 4 quality players & this was helped mainly thanks to my new status as a feeder club for Fulham FC. Immediately after me reccomending them I was offered 2 players & a 3rd soon after that which I duly added to help add some quality to my very thin squad. In came Adrian Leijer who has fitted straight into the centre of my defence to partner Curtis Obeng who is still attracting interest from various league sides. Also coming in on loan from Fulham were full back Jamie Hatch & attacking midfielder Nabil El Zhar who is playing in the role Junior Dadson had occupied last season to great effect.

Also coming in were free transfers Wayne Curtis & Andreas Arestidou who have gone straight into my starting 11. Charlie Henry, James Wilson, Nathan Jarman & Leon Osborne were also bought in on free transfers to provide cover for the bench & squad.

Transfers in & out

Season Targets

Well when asked what my targets were I decided to be brave this season seeing as I only said avoid relegation the first season & gained promotion through the play offs this season I decided to say I will obtain a midtable position. As things stood early on in the summer window I was starting to regret this as I was struggling to bring any players in & hadn't had the offer of Fulham as my parent club yet. I am glad to say now I feel confident of coming somewhere around mid table & maybe a cup run along the way.

Financially I am £17k in debt mainly due to my wage bill last season just being too much but this season my wage bill is £2100 p/w below my wage budget so I feel I should be able to bring that back closer to a positive figure soon. My club sold 282 season tickets with the expectation of selling another 100 before the deadline, my average attendance the first season was 1092 so hopefully I can improve on that this season but we will see.

Now for season 2 to start icon14.gif

Billericay 2007/08 Blue Square South

just finished 1st season in 9th but should have done better as seen from graph season was a bit win a couple lost a couple from about game 10

bought in 22 players released 7 to lower wage budget transfers

1st team and the star player was on loan from my parent club

as i said finances were a problem so will have to release a few highly paid players and get in some decent cheap players next season

and finally my profile and the boards confidence in me

PROMOTION a must next season

Stamford - Conference North - 2009/10 End of Season Update

Pretty good season, finished 9th in the League and got to the 2nd round of the FA Trophy. Form Graph

Made some great transfers including the Bulgarian, Super Simeon and Jimbo's favourite. The squad is pretty strong but needs some more work.

However my contract hasnt been renewed as of the last day of the league, despite great confidence, so I am marginally worried.

Goals for next season:

Pray for a new contract

Pray for achievable new long term plan

Bring in new better stronger players (hopefully some Bulgarians, islanders and Spaniards (got a Spanish coach))

Get into playoffs

Find some consistency

My main aim is to not get sacked. My 3rd season in charge of almost all FM games I have is a bogey season ands usually ends in disaster so wish me luck!

Four games in now, 3 wins and 1 draw. icon14.gif

I've made a few observation: why on earth is my players unable to throw the ball to team-mate during a throw-in, it (nearly) always goes to an opponnent. icon_rolleyes.gif

Then there's the moment when 3-4 defenders can't seem to be bothered with going after a loose ball and therefor an opponent gets the ball and scores (and this in the 91st minute) icon_mad.gif

and for the first I've seen players (not my players this time) going after the linesman and complaining about a possible off-side, this ending with one of them getting a yellow card. icon_biggrin.gif

One of my midfielders just scored a fluke of a goal.

After a throw-in the ball ends up at his feet and he shoots it upfield. Since he's about halfway down on my side there's about 70 meters to the opponent goal but the ball is heading right for it. The opponent goalkeeper sees this and goes out to get the ball but he misses it completely and it gently flies on and crosses the line with the goealkeeper, 2 defenders and 2 of my strikers in hot pursuit. icon_cool.gif

Just lost again St. Albans.

Ex-Striker was playing for them, he had scored 3 in 22 for them this season, and then goes and scores against me icon_frown.gif he then gets injured but i still lose 1-0.

Shocking display from my strikers though 6 shots none on target.

Matlock 09/10 Season Start Blue Sq. Premier

I´ve had a terrific start to the season, 3 wins and 1 draw in the first 4 games, and yet to concede a goal. My new goalie Rob Lainton, has been a living wall (got him from Bolton where he was released) icon_eek.gif

Looking at other sqauds in the Premier I didn´t think I´d stand a chance, but new found optimissm is growing in me, hopefully it´s not just a streak, and I´ll be able to maintain a consistent form throughout the season

3sixty's Chppenham Town Update 2011-2012 - January

After making just 2 signings in the close season i soon found out there was quite a gulf in class between L2 and BSP.

So i would need so high quality back up for my first team.

Transfers

After selling Richard Smallwood for 220k plus 40% of next fee i was able to buy my first ever player icon_biggrin.gif

The Table

Been in just about every position this season, trying to find some consistency.

The Squad

Still a few guys from season one.

Manager Overview

Archived