dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by RockLobster:

icon_confused.gif p...proof of trial? you have to have them on trial first? icon_eek.gif

Unless you can scout them, yes.

If your player was playing in the English league before you signed him it's not a problem, since you could have got a scout report for them.

Originally posted by dafuge:

The Rules

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I think it's too esay with Chippenham.

When i started with them I got Cole Skuse and Frankie Artus in on loan and well as about 6 other loaness and I would have romped the league.

It was boring icon13.gif.

You were lucky, I only got two loanees, one of which was unimpressive, the other I signed a year later.

Who was your Parent club?

Mine was Bristol Rovers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked whoever Cole Skuse and Frankie Artus were at and I got Slocombe too, but I got players from the other Bristol club and a couple of other clubs too.

We were just so much better than the opposition once the players were match fit that it was silly.

Maybe I was just lucky.

I've certainly been making up for it since icon_rolleyes.gif.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I picked whoever Cole Skuse and Frankie Artus were at and I got Slocombe too, but I got players from the other Bristol club and a couple of other clubs too.

We were just so much better than the opposition once the players were match fit that it was silly.

Maybe I was just lucky.

Sounds like you were really lucky, I've never had more than two players from my parent club and they have never been that much better than my existing squad.

I've never gone out looking for loans though, just accepted the two players my parent sent me.

Originally posted by RockLobster:

This means I'm disqualified doesn't it.... icon13.gif

Mistakes happen, could you scout him when you wanted to sign him? If not & you didn't do a trial then no he doesn't apply as valid. Nobody will judge you as a cheat though as honest mistakes are easily made & seeing as I'm new myself I double check everything myself right now.

Just re-start & try not to make the same mistake icon14.gif

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RockLobster:

This means I'm disqualified doesn't it.... icon13.gif

Mistakes happen, could you scout him when you wanted to sign him? If not & you didn't do a trial then no he doesn't apply as valid. Nobody will judge you as a cheat though as honest mistakes are easily made & seeing as I'm new myself I double check everything myself right now.

Just re-start & try not to make the same mistake icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what he said, make sure you are clear with the rules first, if you are not sure, ask first, there is bound to be someone here that can help.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Check out Ademeno linked above mate, exactly the same as you, totally shocked me his form but he keeps scoring from anywhere on the pitch he's just lethal

Yeah i was quite suprised with that, because i saw him in my own game, but didnt think he could make it at this level icon_smile.gif

hehe feel slightly harsh that this season is extremely strong compared to most tables. With 49 points from 22 games I'm only 4th & still 9 points away from Histon who are top.

See people who have been top with 45 points at this stage let alone in 4th place icon_frown.gif

Beating Histon 2-0 at home as we speak so hopefully they will lose 1 or 2 more after this defeat.

Don't personally think he's a good gk, he's conceeded 26 goals from 28 games but that's mainly down to my defence. I seem to limit teams to below 5 shots a game so don't concede that many.

James Bittner is my gk but I'll probably replace him in the summer, I signed 3 who were all free transfers just incase I got a dodgy one & neither have progressed that well but my scout found 1 who he gives 7 stars to & his stats look decent so I might try to lure him this summer.

You've got Lee Ellington? I picked him up when I started, he looked really awesome, but I just couldn't get him to perform at all. Picked up Jonathan Pringle as a replacement, never really looked back. King Clutch, that one is. Scored only nine goals over the course of the season, but I bet most of them were winners.

My GK's Veiga right now, he's absolutely great at the N/S level. Getting on in age a bit though, and I'm worried about him for the Premier. I think I'm probably gonna replace him with my Irish backup by the end of the season.

Most of my best players are coming off of the piles of Irish/Welsh schoolboy free transfers. By "most" I basically mean "all." One of them, Coulson (Couleson?) is slated to be a leading Championship player by one of my coaches. Exciting stuff, that.

My parent club are Chesterfield, that's kinda rubbish, I'm probably gonna cancel that link and hope for someone better with our new reputation icon_biggrin.gif

Pictures of everyone (moderately) important on the BSP's newest side, Ilkeston! Yay!

Danny Cardoza - Very promising young defender with a very unpromising hairstyle. Not much else to say about big Danny, 'cept his goal came directly off of a corner kick. Like, he was the corner kicker.

John Mousinho - It was surprising to see we had a League 2 quality player in the free transfer bin just waiting to play for Ilkeston for low wages, but there he was. Hopefully he'll stay with us a while, he's a very solid player.

Jonathan Pringle - Legend.

Jordan Savage - I'm worried with his pace he'll get completely devoured in the new league. Shame, he's by far our smartest player. And he looks like he should be punched in the face for some reason.

Neil Douglas - He runs fast, he gets hurt a lot and my coaches all disagree about how good he actually is. Maybe he'll be a revelation, maybe he'll be pawned off to a Conference North side as we (hopefully) climb up the league.

Richard Harris - Promising looking Irish fellow, arguably our best center back. He was peripherally involved in Pringle's promotion goal.

Ryan Beswick - A very solid, versatile left-sided player who's done what has been asked of him. Not sure about how he's gonna do in the Premier, but it's worth it to give him a shot.

Steve Lawrence - Probably the best player on the team. Absolutely dominates the pace of the game with his passing and mental attributes.

Thomas Cooper-Richards - My only good loanee from Chesterfield. I'd love to have him back for a season, but it doesn't look as if C'field are renewing his contract, and he (understandably) doesn't want a full deal here.

Veiga - Starting goalkeeper, I'm a bit worried about his making the step up. If I can get a particularly exceptional loanee or trialist in, he might just be on his way out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stinger061:

Been sitting re-loading for quite some time now waiting to get Chippenham however i am now thinking i will just go with a random team that is eligible and join Jimbo and the many others to restart when the patch is released.

I will simply use the next couple of weeks to get an idea for the tactics and the like on the new version and start afresh with Chippenham later on.

I think it's too esay with Chippenham.

When i started with them I got Cole Skuse and Frankie Artus in on loan and well as about 6 other loaness and I would have romped the league.

It was boring icon13.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May well be the case but as dafuge mentioned he didn't have the same luck. My wish to play as Chippenham is purely down to the fact that i can't use my beloved Bath City that i have used in the previous 2 challenges and to the best of my knowledge, (excuse the lack of knowledge of English geography) Chippenham is the closest team to Bath that is eligible for this year challenge (excluding Team Bath who share a stadium with City but simply aren't going to be promoted).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Maybe I was just lucky.

Sounds like you were really lucky, I've never had more than two players from my parent club and they have never been that much better than my existing squad.

I've never gone out looking for loans though, just accepted the two players my parent sent me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also intend to follow this theory. I'll take what im offered but wont specifically go out asking to take players on loan so as to avoid crowding my squad with loan players who are far to good for the league.

Just started this.

First dafuge challenge - so I took a club with over 1000 rep. - King's Lynn. To be frank it was the only club that I felt comfortable with at once because of the name and colours. Just felt right icon_smile.gif

Transfers of summer 1

Some may notice I signed Hadji. Really apologize for this minor blip - it won't repeat again. I guess I couldn't scout him, as he played in Luxembourg - but hope it will be forgiven. Noticed it after I signed him already and as it's my first time here - be kind icon_smile.gif

Managed to sign all but 2 of the players on full-time contracts. Got 2 scouts, a coach, assistant and a player/coach icon14.gif Wage budget under control - still have 25pounds p/w left to spend icon_biggrin.gif

Chose avoid relegation as the season ambition, as I had no clue how my team of free transfers would perform. Well - they turned out to be decent lads after all icon_biggrin.gif

Standings after 4 league games

Fixtures

More than pleased with the start

Pre-Season update - Whitby Town 2008/09

Well it has all gone wrong. After success with King's Lynn (2nd in the league just after Xmas before computer crashed) Whitby is a completely different ball game.

I have managed to lose all four pre-season friendlies v world beaters Ash, Barking, Glossop and Yaxley, conceding 10 and scoring just 2 in the process. The fans hate me already (I know what Gary Megson must feel like) and I dont know my best team (well, least worse team anyway), or which tactic to use.

If we carry this form into the season proper, which is just a week away, we wont get a point all season. But then again I probably wont last til Xmas.

Yikes! I sign up 5 or so days ago, come back to the thread and there's some 18 pages of entries to catch up on... anyway, here goes the update!

Hendon - October 2008 update

Taking over Hendon, I notice that they have very few decent players... Bontcho Guentchev and a few regens make up the motley crew I've been tasked with moulding into a decent Blue Square South team.

The board announce their expectations, and they don't expect much: battle against relegation. Fair enough. I upgrade the expectations and tell them that I definately will be avoiding relegation. Since I'll be sacked regardless if I fail, it doesn't seem like too much of a risk.

Now, time to find a parent club. I'm offered Chelsea, but since the chances of any of their players coming on loan are probably slim to none, I plump for Crystal Palace and am offered what are probably still my two best players; James Dayton and Ryan Hall.

To join these guys, I sign the following bunch:

Hendon Squad

Mike Garrity has so far been the star for me - an absolute rock in midfield and, apart from the loanees, my best player.

The season started reasonably well, with 10 points from the first 6 games. My first ever goal in the league proper was this wonder strike from Craig Kirk:

He shoots...

He scores!

Apart from that, highlights have included a come-from-behind 3-2 win in the Setanta Shield (we were down 2-0 after 89 minutes) and our amazing knack of turning certain losses into draws.

Of course, one low point (completely my fault!) was the amount of easy injuries we seemed to sustain early in the season with long recovery times. That'll teach me to forget to hire a physio!

Coming into the start of November now, and the dreaded inconsistency has started to creep in - I thought it would have been the other way around, but there you go. After being in touch with the leaders until late September, for some reason we started receiving floggings on a regular basis.

As I type this, we have just turned it around with a new tactic, so all is not lost! Currently sitting 17th in the Blue Square South after a high so far of 6th, but still plenty left to play.

Fingers crossed the success continues!

Originally posted by stinger061:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Maybe I was just lucky.

I've never gone out looking for loans though, just accepted the two players my parent sent me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also intend to follow this theory. I'll take what im offered but wont specifically go out asking to take players on loan so as to avoid crowding my squad with loan players who are far to good for the league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the moment I'm not getting any loan players in at all, but I think when I do I will impose a maximum of 3 divison drop for all loans, but then I will be far more pro-active in searching them out.

What do you lot think about introducing this for next years chalenge?

Finally my copy of the game has arrived!! I've been itching to get this started having begun the 07 challenge so late in the day. Thanks to Allan for putting the links up to the save games on the website. As the trend seems to be sub 1000 this time round, I'll be attempting the challenge with Hendon Town

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/saab693/Hendon.jpg

Here we go!

At the moment I'm not getting any loan players in at all, but I think when I do I will impose a maximum of 3 divison drop for all loans, but then I will be far more pro-active in searching them out.

What do you lot think about introducing this for next years chalenge?

It's a tricky one, and another thing that people would have to check other people's games on. I would like to think that clubs would not not loan out players to a league that they are far too good for, but it sounds like this isn't the case.

I have 3 loans in from my parent club Norwich

The coach reports say 1 would be a leading star for any Championship side, 1 a leading star for any League 2 side, and 1 a good signing for any League 1 side.

All 3 are way way above the standard of the league.

However I can't get anyone on loan not from Norwich

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Just got prescot cables promoted, but i do not like that yellow colour! icon_frown.gif i doesnt seem like there is any playing them ?

Just curious, why don´t you like the yellow color?? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha tyler, you are actually right, its beceause of BIF =)

But im not FCK.. im AGF icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by jvovk22:

The coach reports say 1 would be a leading star for any Championship side, 1 a leading star for any League 2 side, and 1 a good signing for any League 1 side.

The game is a lot better at location on this one, so look for loans from clubs close to King's Lynn.

As that might not be common knowledge in Ukraine - Ipswich, Lincoln, Grimsby might all be worth a try..

Originally posted by spotg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jvovk22:

The game is a lot better at location on this one, so look for loans from clubs close to King's Lynn.

As that might not be common knowledge in Ukraine - Ipswich, Lincoln, Grimsby might all be worth a try.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers spotg - will give them a try. I get the loan offers accepted, just the players who are worse than the one's I have from Norwich don't want to come. Even transfer-listed ones.

And I only have 5 defenders at the club - 2 of which are LB's icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyler_Durden:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Just got prescot cables promoted, but i do not like that yellow colour! icon_frown.gif i doesnt seem like there is any playing them ?

Just curious, why don´t you like the yellow color?? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha tyler, you are actually right, its beceause of BIF =)

But im not FCK.. im AGF icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually quite like that yellow color..he he

Oh and sorry about beating you guys last week icon_smile.gif

Archived