dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gloucester City - Conference South - June 2008

John Colby has pulled his old tracksuit out of the wardrobe and taken the manager's position at Gloucester City.

The board seem to have reasonable expectations. Fight against relegation this year and aim to win the Conference South in five years time. Hopefully this means I have a patient chairman!

Personally, I'm delighted to finally get the chance to manage "The Tigers". I have plans to combine an Ajax-esque youth training approach with Brazilian-style football flair on the pitch. There'll be a heavy emphasis on bringing through Gloucester-born youth players into the first team and I hope that I'll be able to achieve success with this policy.

Originally posted by dafuge:

Where has Nathan Jarman gone?

I have found that a lot of the players that we were able to sign in the demo, (because they were unattached), are no longer in the game by the time that we have holidayed.

I guess it's because they weren't offered contracts and have simply retired.

It's a REAL shame that players such as Joey Hutchison & Nathan Jarman have to retire. Very unrealistic icon13.gif.

Originally posted by NUFCSean:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

My fans are criticising my signing who my ass man considers to be the best at the club in his position icon_confused.gif

that's happened to me about 4 times now. its rather confusing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I found that no matter how the majority of my signings performed, they were still annoyed about my poorest one. I always sign LOADS of players and I'm bound to sign some Turkeys. Why concentrate on some eegit who plays in the Reserves when I have brought in some real quality on a free icon_confused.gif?

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Where has Nathan Jarman gone?

I have found that a lot of the players that we were able to sign in the demo, (because they were unattached), are no longer in the game by the time that we have holidayed.

I guess it's because they weren't offered contracts and have simply retired.

It's a REAL shame that players such as Joey Hutchison & Nathan Jarman have to retire. Very unrealistic icon13.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought this would happen to a lot of players, but not players like Jarman, he was one of the best strikers in the league.

And using a piddly little medium database, Jimbo has a choice of........

Conference North.

Hednesford Town 1300 icon13.gif.

Witton Albion 1250 icon13.gif.

Conference South.

Borehamwood 950 icon14.gif. (under 1000 and local).

Chelmsford. 1250 icon13.gif.

Chippenham 900 icon14.gif. (that's who I chose on large database).

Kings Lynn 1100 icon13.gif.

Bedford - Blue Square North - Quick Spetember Report

After a desastrous pre-season (got 2 shots on target in 5 games, scoring once), our guys picked it up for the beginning of the season. We're currently standing in 3rd place, with the media prediction being 19th. Nice difference... icon_biggrin.gif

I've managed to set up a link with Luton, who sent me a nice striker. had to rebuild the squad, with no less than 15 signings.

More details at half-season, with more screenshots. Pretty enjoyable game so far... icon_biggrin.gif

Gateshead - 08/09 Season Review

Preseason was nonexistant due to me being slow signing players and staff.. After a midtable start, we were freefalling from November and until February.

But the gods were on our side. A 12 match unbeaten run saw us climb up the table and end in a predicted 15th.

Oh, and my board thinks it's not necessary to get a parent club icon_mad.gif

League Table

Squad

Transfers

Still waiting for my copy here on the east coast of the States, but am going to give this a go. I will also be looking for a MANLY sub-1000 club, if I can get one. I usually play 3-1-4-2 recently anyway, but I don't try to force personnel into a tactic. If I don't have a reasonable DM (or defender that can learn to play it), then I go a different way. Good luck to all and hope to be on the pitch shortly.

Just some intersting information about Stamford for you all!

* We are known as the Daniels as we are named after "the fattest man in English history" Daniel Lambert.His weight at the time of his death was 739 pounds (336 kg), his height was 5 feet 11 inches, and his waist measurement was 9 feet 4 inches! He is buried in St Martins Churchyard in Stamford! I wondered where that nickname came from! icon_redface.gif

Originally posted by davidbowie:

The downloads section on the site should have a save that is already on the 18th of june, so players can just download the save and then continue.

Or even better, several different saves from the 19th uploaded that contain teams under 1000 in reputation icon_razz.gif

I can't believe I'm still up at 5am, definitely going to bed now.

Guest trina5432

Haven't posted on these forums for a long, long time but this made me want to.icon_smile.gif I found dafuge's 2007 challenge a few months ago and thanks to it I became interested in FM again after a long break... icon_razz.gif

Anyway, after 20 million reloads trying to get Ramsgate or Tonbridge failed I settled for Halesowen.

a quick tip.

3 teams which have managers already are kings lynn, wimbledon and chelmsoford.

If you get 4 clubs on the "Home" button but you do not want any of them (the manager overview, with avaliable jobs), check the Blue Square south, and if you see Wimbeldon and Chemlsford you can safely reload.

If you get 3 clubs on that screen you don't like, you should check the South for Wimbeldon and Chemlmsofrd, and then North of Kings Lynn.

If 1 or more of those teams are not in the league, you may have a lower rep club to choose from that have a manager, so take a quick check of the leagues to see if you have any club that are low.

Also, most of these clubs have no logo, and instead have the default "shield". I'm not sure if the original conf clubs have regular icons, but if you get a logo pack you should be able to easily see which clubs are from the conference and which are from below.

I'm doing some reloads using a medium database because I'm sure that I won't be the only person trying to play FM08 on an old PC.

Perhaps someone could let me know how I go about hosting it so that Allan can put them on the site.

Reputations of 1000 and below will be in bold.

I'm gonna do 10 to start with.

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Matlock 1150

Merthyr Tydfil 1100

Hednesford 1300

Kings Lynn 1100

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Billericay 1100

Merthyr Tydfil 1100

Hednesford 1300

Kings Lynn 1100

Witton 1250

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Hitchin 1000

Merthyr 1100

Whitby 1100

Worksop 1200

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Bedford 1000

Margate 1100

Ilkeston 1050

Kings Lynn 1100

Witton 1250

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Merthyr Tydfil 1100

Halesowen 900

Hednesford 1300

Matlock 1150

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Hitchin 1000

Margate 1100

Merthyr 1100

Marine 1250

Witton 1250

AFC Wimbledon 1350.

Bedford 1000

Chelmsford 1250

Chippenham 900

Gateshead 1200

Marine 1250

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Tiverton 1000

Halesowen 900

Marine 1250

Witton 1250

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Halesowen 900Hednesford 1300

Kings Lynn 1100

Worksop 1200

AFC Wimbledon 1350

Chelmsford 1250

Chippenham 900

Merthyr Tydfil 1100

Guiseley 1200

Hednesford 1300

Michelle. Save #8 has Tuverton but remember that it's only a medium database.

If someone could explain to me, (in very basic terms), how I do whatever it is that i need to do to get it up on the website then I, (and Michelle), would be grateful.

Email in profile.

Thanks icon14.gif.

If you have a decent net connection the upload should not take too long. If you are on dial-up or poor ADSL it might take some time, perhaps too long to do.

1. Go to http://www.filefront.com/

2. Register an account. Validate it and whatever, and login.

3. Click: Add File on the side menu.

4. Choose the file to upload. Start the upload.

5. Once the upload is done, go to "My Page".

6. Click the name of the file you uploaded.

7. Copy the link/url of this file.

8. Post it here. Email the site owner to put either the link or the full file on the dafuge site.

Thanks david, but the first link liiks to be enough, (even for me). It's just like photobucket but with a file instead of a pic.

Anyway, uploaded save# 8 and I have mailed Allan via the download dection of the website with the info.

So that Michelle doesn't have to wait.... here is the link for the MEDIUM DATABASE save for you to download

(If it works the same as linking to pics then that shouuld work).

I'm doing some reloads using a medium database because I'm sure that I won't be the only person trying to play FM08 on an old PC.

Jimbo I too am playing on a medium database due to my PC being too slow for the large one.

I'm not sure what difference it will make, but I am sure we have always used Medium on Dafuge 07 and 06.

Yeah, I have always used medium.

I've just checked last seasons thread and that was a medium databse too. I think what happened was that Gundo used a large database for his challenge last season and it worked, so dafuge is following suit, (but has said that we can use medium if we want).

I;m gonna keep re-loading for a while to see what other teams I can get and then upload them all and send Allan the details for the website.

I can't believe it.

I've just re-loaded and it's only the 3rd time, (out of 16), that Chelmsford haven't been promoted. More than that, it's the 1st time that AFC Wimbledon haven't been promoted.

And all I get for my troubles are Billericay, Hitchin, Margate, Merthyr, Witton & Worksop icon_rolleyes.gif.

Thanks david, but the first link liiks to be enough, (even for me). It's just like photobucket but with a file instead of a pic.

Anyway, uploaded save# 8 and I have mailed Allan via the download dection of the website with the info.

So that Michelle doesn't have to wait.... here is the link for the MEDIUM DATABASE save for you to download

(If it works the same as linking to pics then that shouuld work).

Thanks Jimbokav, I was in May 2008, so saves me some time. Anyone else notice how many managers seem to get sacked? I think so far only 7 clubs in the Premier League still have their original managers. Seems rather high.

Originally posted by Michelle:

As for the rules, does that mean we cannot sign unattached players or does our scout have to find them first?

Your scouts don't have to find them, you can search for the players however you want. Once you have found them though, you must either be able to get a scout report on them or bring them on trial at the club.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michelle:

As for the rules, does that mean we cannot sign unattached players or does our scout have to find them first?

Your scouts don't have to find them, you can search for the players however you want. Once you have found them though, you must either be able to get a scout report on them or bring them on trial at the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On this point. When i got to the middle of November i checked my player search screen, due to the fact i had an injury problem, and found around 10-15 young Anguillan players?!?! I offered them all trials as i couldn't scout them and about 4 of them are league 2 quality, does that mean i could sign them now, it just seems a little unrealistic to me, but i could use do with them.

Jimbo - yes i seem to remember Gundo using a large database - and i think i am right in saying you still used a medium one. I think i used a large database for Gundo's challenge, but it was less work for the PC because there were only 2 leagues.

Dafuge - if you can help I would be greatful. I sent an email to the creator of the website (dafuges08challenge) about me being called "supermas" on the website, yet "Supermas2" on these forums - i was wondering if you thought it would be any problem.

Although it would mean i appear as "supermas" on the list, yet "Supermas2" on my posts, due to the closeness of the two names, everyone will know it is me?

Originally posted by Supermas2:

Dafuge - if you can help I would be greatful. I sent an email to the creator of the website (dafuges08challenge) about me being called "supermas" on the website, yet "Supermas2" on these forums - i was wondering if you thought it would be any problem.

Although it would mean i appear as "supermas" on the list, yet "Supermas2" on my posts, due to the closeness of the two names, everyone will know it is me?

I can't see any problem with that.

Refs still helping me out quite a bit with games like this. Moscatiello's goal in the 2nd minute of injury time was perfectly valid, but Hunter was clearly offside when scoring his in the 5th injury time minute (of the 3 announced!). Must be the 4th or 5th time this has happened this season. icon14.gif

Archived