dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MARINE UPDATE BSN 09/10

Rihjt well this update is lacking a bit as I rushed in to the next season before saving screenshots!

Predicted to finish 19th(where i ended last year) I ended 5th. Sounds good but was upset in the end, started well and took top spot after 9 games and stayed top for the next 14 games. For the rest of the season me, Droylsden, Northwich, Hitchen, and Kings Lynn shared top between us.

Come the last day I syarted 2nd 1 point behind Northwich, I was away to Histon who were in 5th. Leading 1-0 at half time I was top and champions but ended up conceding 2 in the last 10 mins allowing Kings Lynn to nip in for the title icon_frown.gif

This left me in the play off against my old friends Histon!

Won the first leg 1-0 but lost 2nd 4-1 aet.

SO its a 3rd season in the BSN for me, but i am confident of promtion for the first time.

Season has already started played 4 won 3 lost 1.

These 3 are my 3 star players

Jack Baker

Michael Hall

Scott Moffatt

GLoucester Update BSS 08/09

Overall a great first season for me with Gloucester as i managed to win the league which was a bit suprising as for most of the season i was in about third or fourth place and at one point i was about 8 points behind the leaders Dorchester but an unbeaten run of 13 games to end the season which included a club record 10 wins in a row saw us sneak the title by 2 points in the end. Table

In the cups we were a bit dissapointing though especially in the FA Cup as we lost in the second qualifying round but im not overly disappointed as the title more than makes up for it.

I've already started played 4 games in the BSP and i'm currently unbeaten and sitting 2nd in the table which is a suprise.

BSP Table

Squad

MARINE UPDATE BSN 10/11

This was my third season in the blue square north and was pretty sick of it! After steady progress over the last 2 years (19th place followed by 5th) I was looking for a tittle challenge this year. Although that never really got started that was more to do with the dominance of Rushden who only lost once all season. I hit second spot after 12 games and stayed here for the rest of the season.

This meant I played Barrow in the playoffs and after doing the double over them in the league meant i was confident going into these games, however the first leg was a struggle and thanks to a 76th min pen a scrapped a 1-1 draw at home. In the away game it was even tighter and thanks to my young cb scott moffatt i won 1-0 with the goal coming in th 87th min !

The final was against a Nuneaton side i'd yetb to bet this year. It was a carp and scrappy game that was won in the 83rd min thanks to scotty again. 1-0! Promotion! icon_cool.gif

League table

Star Player

No real mention of the cups, lost in first round in sententa and fa trophey and 3rd qual round of FA

Off to the blue square premier now wish me luck!

I have chosen to join this challenge I first thought I could just post mu regular game as I have followed the rules and taken AFC Wimbledon to the Champions League already though I dont have any screenshots so I will start a new game with a thougher team.

I have chosen King´s Lynn and I will be back with screenshots at the end of the season.

Have been bad weather were I live so I have been playing for three days straight.

Anyway to more seasons here.

No promotion yet but were atleast making improvements and we won the conference cup the last season. The next season looks promising with a new keeper and I hope on reaching the play ofs.

BSP 10/11

BSP 11/12

AFC Hornchurch - Season 2019/20 - The Premiership

Final Table

Graph

FA Cup Semi Final

FA Cup Final

AFC Hornchurch - Season 2020/21 - The Premiership

Final Table

Graph

UEFA Cup Semi 1st Leg

2nd Leg

UEFA Cup Final

Luke Thomas - Amazing Striker

£22 Million Striker - Uche Brown

My First Wonderkid

Sorry for the crappy update, dodgy internet connection at the minute.

MANAGER'S PROFILE

Well, here I go. Just been appointed the new manager at Maidstone United. It's going to be a rollercoaster ride with goals galore (trust me). For some reason after a couple of season teams regularly score 100 goals per season and judging from some threads I've seen it's the norm.

***I am actually doing this as the "National Pride" challenge. My game is exactly the same as a daffy challenge except we're only employing English players/staff.

Let's hope I can really get into it because so far FM08 hasn't impressed me even though I'm very successful. icon_wink.gif

MikaelS – Season 14/15- Chippenham in Premier League

Well a beating was expected, but I actually did quite well considering. A much deserved 9th place in my first season in PL. We scored a lot but damn we conceived a lot as well.

League Table

League Position

League Cup:

Won the final with 4-2 against Middlesbrough

FA Cup:

Won the final with 4-2 after penalty against Chelsea

Player stats:

Chippenham player stats

PL overall player stats

Season Summary

The U-18 won their league:

U-18 league Table

U-18 League Position

Chippenham U-18 player stats

U-18 league overall player stats

Players worth mentioning:

Martin Hansen

He performed well, considering the amount of goals that went by him.

Oskar Karlsson

Amazing season. 48 goals in 47 matches. He is really stepping up his game! He has 142 goals in 143 matches (only counting league)

Craig Alcock

Bought this kid from Colchester as a sub to Oskar. He did well with 14 goals in 15 matches.

Kieran Gibbs

I put my trust in Gibbs and he repaid me with 10 assists and 10 goals.

Patrick Husted

Contributed with 13 assists. Played well together with Mike Jensen.

Mike Jensen

Mike was released from Brøndby so I picked him up and he said thanks with 19 assists.

Adrian Ropotan

Bought Adrian from Dinamo Bucarest and he has been solid as defensive midfielder.

Danny Morse

New kid on the Block. Danny was bought as sub for Gibbs and even though he only played 13 matches he still made 5 assists.

Allan Dinesen

I expected a lot from Allan considering his stats, but he played crap constantly. I guess I played him the most because I hoped he would start to play better. 6.50 av. Rating is not acceptable after 44 matches.

Fredrik Johansson

One of the players that has been with me for 110 matches or so. He played well in the beginning but I think his time is due. He is my hard hitter with 15 yellow cards.

Trond Edinsen

Good season by Trond again.

Players I’m hoping a lot from

Peter Hesek

Young Slovakian player bought from Artmedia.

Victor Moses

Got him on free. Will be a great backup for Husted and Jensen.

Transfers 1

Transfers 2

Well the board gave me money so I spent it icon_smile.gif Best buy I would say Alcock or Marek Stech.

Finances

Finally something positive in finances. I guess getting into PL really boosts finances. Of course winning FA and League cup also provides good money.

Wage budget

They have been good all season.

Manager screen

Awards:

Oskar 3rd in European Striker of the Year

Oskar 3rd in English Footballer of the Year

Oskar Top Goalscorer of the Year

Husted English Players’ Young Player of the Year

I got runners up on the Manager of the Year

Oskar got on the English Players’ Premier Divison Selection

Oskar getting the European Golden Boot

Oskar gets Fans’ player of the Year

Other news:

A new stadium – Chippenham Stadium. 24781 and undersoil heating. It will take around 2 years though ;-(

Upgrade to youth and training facilities.

Yeeh no more debt :-)

Best Eleven

Best Eleven lineup

Overall best Eleven

Goals for this season

1. Don't get relegated = OK

2. Decrease wages = OK (well keep them in check)

3. Decrease finances = OK (I think I mean increase :-))

4. Keep Oskar at Chippenham = OK (yeeeeeeees!)

5. Enjoy while doing it = OK

Goals for next season

1. Improve 9th position

2. Get a stronger defence

3. Improve youth and training facilities.

4. Keep Oskar at Chippenham

5. Enjoy while doing it

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Oskar Karlsson has phenominal Technical Attributes for a ST..!! Congrats on signing him (just read back over your past few updates) - Certainly has the perfect setup to be a world class striker.

If I look back his stats, he certainly has improved alot on his technical side. I haven't really done anything in particular regarding his training, so I guess my coaches do a great job icon_smile.gif

Chelseadaft Prescot Cables 08/09 Season 1 BSN

Hi all. Well i took over the side and straight away formed an alliance with Everton. The board asked me to achieve mid-table security so used the loan options available to the max and did alot better than i thought.

I lost in the play off semi final but am pleased with my teams efforts in the first season and hope to build for promotion in the 2nd season.

Here are my screenies for the 1st season:

Table

Squad

Transfers

Finances

Star Man

Updates to follow!

Heybridge Swift Mass Update

Having had a little time away from Dafuge's Challenge due to work and other commitments Shaggy has returned to update all on how progress has been made in the past 5 seasons.

A little update to all those that dont know i started this challenge with Whitby Town way back in October and was one of the first victims of the well known "confidence bug", with Dafuge's permission i was allowed to take over at Heybridge in effect after 4 seasons into the game as Heybridge matched the original criteria.

Progress has been slow and steady and we have now reached 2022 when we had managed to stay in league one.

2022-23 L1 Finished 24th 31points relegated

2023-24 L2 Finished 3rd 82points promoted

2024-25 L1 Finished 14th 59points

2025-26 L1 Finished 11th 68points

2026-27 L1 Finished 9th 73points

I do approach the game in a softly softly manner and will nearly always allow players to move on in order for them to reach their potential. The end of 2023 saw a big clearout of players and a return to youth policy that has always been a target of my game play. Being such a small club in terms of stature, ground and finance meant hard work and players without doubt left me when i would have liked them to have stayed.

Having reduced the wage bill and restructured the squad we were able to build the ground up and currently hold just over 10000 people(going up by 3000 more currently). Slowly hand over fist the squad took shape and more money started to be generated through player sales.

The 2027 season culminated in just missing out on play-offs and winning the Johnstones paint trophy at Wembley. In the past 2 seasons we sold 3 full backs for 1m Plus 950k a year later, 1.5mil +30% and 1mil Plus player+35% in addition to one player i shall touch on in a minute.

So by october 2027 the clubs finances look like thisfinances

but you can see from my profile how this has been bought about

I am now regarded as a talented manager and have been linked to numerous topflight jobs including Man Utd and 2026 Treble winners (league, FA, League Cup) Watford! However the Swifts now hold close to my heart and i shall not rest until the challenge has been completed.

The squad i now posess is the strongest by far 5 strikers rated at championship level, 4 strong central midfielders,a solid defensive base and the million pound keeper who left me 4 years previously on a Bosman.

However one thing has happened in the past 3 seasons which has restored my faith(not in the game) but in the processes and that i have potentially produced a superstar. "Super Kyle" will always be reveered by many of the lower league managers but i can honestly say i have found my very own "Super Jack."

This was his profile at the end of his first season 2024 when we were promoted back to league 1.

super jack 2024

There was a player with potential but according to my coaches unlikely to be much better than league 1 in the future. I should have known when he played for the under 19's and 21's he always scored and two more years learning the trade at Heybridge saw him become a better all round player. The second half of 2026 season scouts were eyeing him up and i knew he would move. Although only valued at a million pounds as soon as Liverpool offered 3.5m(over 24 months)+30% my board took control and he was on his way to New Anfield.

At this point Liverpool were only just back in the championship having won league 1 the previous season but super Jack showed his class firing them to the title before moving to Chelsea for 9.5Mil. The extra 2.9mil to the transfer was well received now at 6.4mil at total not to be sniffed at for league 1.

9 games into the premiership he's got 5 and now an England international with 3 in 2 games. This in my opinion is what FM is about, in the past i signed good young prospects that you know will make it to top level, and i have had at premiership level arrive looking like the business. But this kid arrived at a league 2 side and in 4 years is now leading the line for the national side.

current proflie

personal

history

Fair play super Jack i shall continue to watch you career and smile, wondering one day if i can sign you back! As you can see he is regarded as a wonderkid and myself and two of my backroom staff are his favourite person's. Just check out his pictures too, spotty teenager to long haired legend!

Come on the Swifts!

Season 1 08/09 Season Preview

Board Expectations: Attempt to avoid relegation (I tell them I will to get more of a wage budget icon_wink.gif)

Media expectation: 21st

My Expectation: 16th

No squad (except for a few new crappy regens), small wage budget (4.3K), and no transfer budget.

Let the fun begin icon_cool.gif

I've done 2 seasons so far as I haven't had the internet and I've had a lot of free time (probably too much icon_biggrin.gif)

So here's the updates (I'll split them in two and do the second later on):

Gateshead - Season 08/09

So I trialed a lot of players and in the end had a pretty balanced squad, experienced faces like Arnison (the captain), Kuipers and Opinel, promising youngsters like Millar and Morrison and then your recently released League 1 or 2 players. Starting okay we slipped down into midtable mediocrity and stayed for there for about half a season, at Christmas time we managed to beat the previously unbeaten Kettering 7-3 iirc and then went on a run, going in and out of the playoff places, and with ten games to go we were in the top 3.

The last game of the season was simply unbelievable, we were top, unbeaten in 11 games and had to play away whilst second placed Tamworth were hosted by third placed Kettering. Points-wise we were on 87 points, Tamworth were on 86 and Kettering 84. So the games start and horror, the opposition score. It carries on the same until the 70th minute or so and Tamworth take the lead against Kettering and then we concede again to make it 2-0, balls, I was pretty damn deflated, then as the Kettering match reaches the final 10 minutes a glimmer of hope as Kettering score, Gateshead are back on course to gain automatic promotion, and on the 82nd minute, they score again to my delight and seal the 3 points in the 90th minute. We finished 1st to my surprise.

League table

Promotion by two goals. Haha, Kettering rule.

We did proud in the cups as well gaining a bit of revenue.

We had our problems though, we couldn't get a parent club and those 4 players I loaned were actually the only players I could loan, no-one wants to come to Gateshead. Credit to Boro, Sunderland and Hartlepool who helped us.

Squad screen

Notable players:

Hartley on loan from Sunderland was phenomenal. 26 goals in 48 appearances (no corner cheat).

Millar has potential and did well in his first season.

Fairhurst was the top goalscorer and won our player of the year.

AFC Hornchurch - Premier League - Season 2021/22

Final League Table - Champions

Graph - Top throughout the season and was always pulling away.

Solitary league defeat

Record 8-0 league win

My second 8-0 league win

My best game of the season

Onto the European games -

Super Cup Win

European Cup Group

Euro 2nd Round Leg 1

Leg 2

Euro Quarter Final Leg 1

Leg 2

Euro Cup Semi Final Leg 1

Leg 2

Champions League Final

My double winning players -

Goalkeeper - Dejan Ilic A fantastic goalie who hardly ever makes any mistakes, signed for free from Maribor 6 years ago and has only missed 4 league games in that time.

Right back - Antonio Vieira My only Wonderkid since i started and he has the overall stats that make him the complete fullback. Signed from Boavista for £1.6 million 3.5 years ago.

Left back - Filip Chladek Only joined 2 years ago for £1.2 milion but already proven his worth with lots of goals from penalties and a couple of freekicks.

Centre back - Ludek Adam One of my favouite players and also the club captain, Ludek joined the club when we were in League One 8 years ago and since then has only missed 17 league games.

Centre back - Eugenio Oliva Joined from Mallorca when we were in the Championship and never averaged under 7 for a season.

Right Wing - Gilles Roger Signed for a then club record £11 million at the start of last season he averages the highest amount of dribbles in the league and always pops up with an assist when it's needed.

Left Wing - Jose Luis Vega A brilliant addition and a steal at £3.6 million from Real Madrid. Deadly accuracy at both freekicks and corners has led to an incredible 40 assists in only 67 league games.

Central Midfield - Mick Morris Probably my worst player, sits in midfield and stops the opposition attcking.

Central Midfield - Maycol Rossi Signed from Man Utd for £1.5 million when they were relegated. My creative midfieler who is very consistent.

Striker - Uche Brown My only worldclass player and also my record signing at £22 million. Scores a load of goals and also sets alot up. 100 games, 72 goals and 42 assists.

Striker - Luke Thomas Easily my best player, scores alot of hat-tricks especially in important games, his overall record is 211 games and 190 goals.

Reserve Defender - Rob Saxton

Reserve Midfielder - Brochard

Reserve Midfielder - Josh Taylor

Reserve Striker - Martinez (looks rubbish because he's two footed)

Potential Worldclass youth player through my academy

The Best 11 Players in the World -

Goalkeeper

Right Back

Left Back

Centre Back

Centre Back

Right Winger - Probably the best player i've ever seen on FM

Left Wing

Defensive Midfield

Attacking Midfield

Target Striker

Speed Striker

Originally posted by bluuuuuuuuuuuud:

Just out of interest what tactics have the players who have taken teams to the premier league used

I always use my own tactics, I started out with a 442 then went to 451 for leagues 1 and 2, 4312 in the Championship and finally back to 442 in the last 5 seasons including winning the Prem and Champions League. I always play short or mixed passing, medium tempo, plenty of width with an attacking mentality of about 17/20. The players tactics differ depending on the players i choose for the match with more defensive minded players in the away games.

Originally posted by bluuuuuuuuuuuud:

Just out of interest what tactics have the players who have taken teams to the premier league used

in the lower leagues - BSS/BSP/L2 i used my own 4-4-2, but from L1 and up I use kimz 4-2-3-1 with a counterattack-version away. It works okay although very inconsistent.

Gateshead - 09/10 (second season)

Well, well, after our surprise promotion I went about adding to the squad for our first season in the Blue Square Premier. My aim was pretty simple, to stay up and possibly gain a bit of revenue through the cups. I felt that my squad was strong enough to stay in the division so promising youngsters who had successful trials were added to give us more depth, most were Scottish and had great potential according to my Assman and scouts. Again the club weren't interested in us having a parent club and I couldn't get Grounds back in on loan due to him being sent to Bohemians, but thankfully Hartley rejoined, apart from that, no other loan signings, and not much experience was added due to my wage budget.

We started well enough, undefeated for 3 or so games but then slipped, dipping in and out of the relegation zone for the first quarter of the season. After changes in personell, results improved a tad and we manage to get away from the relegation zone. Around Christmas we'd opened a ten-point gap and from there onwards it remained roundabout there. With 5 games to go we were mathematically safe and I was happy. The cups on the other hand were nothing special, pleasing expectations but not getting to play any of the Premiership or Championship big-boys. Overall, it was a long hard season with few rewards, we were around midtable for the majority of the season and couldn't really get a run going.

League Table

As you can see, scoring wasn't a problem, it was defense, we leaked more than an old man at a retirement home. Quite a few goals were conceded from direct free-kicks so if I can solve that then we can knock off 20 or so goals and theoretically that should get us in the top half. We wom most of our games against either the top teams (beating Aldershot and Bury away and home) and the bottom teams but were hopeless against the ones around us.

Just a side note, Bognor Regis played the whole season with a striker in central defense, he had a 2 for tackling ffs! In fact their defense minded players consisted of a Right-back who could play centre back as well, a Right-back and 2 Left-backs/wingers. Haha, madness. And we also relegated Tamworth which made me happy.

Squad

Finally, the squad.

Goalkeeper - McKellar played mostly because Kuipers missed the start of the season through injury. Both were average but I still don't know who's better. My staff rate McKellar highly "twice the player of Kuipers" but I don't see it. He's young so time will tell.

Right back - Originally, I placed King at right back but he was pretty poor so Kerr came in and claimed the position as his, he did reasonably well but offers nothing going forward.

Left back - Well, this was our problem position. Anderson started for a quarter of the season but he was rubbish, absolutely awful, my worst signing ever, I later sold him on to my rivals Blyth for 4K and a sell on fee, he did very well, getting an average rating of 5.something. icon_wink.gif On to the next one, Opinel who played until Christmas time, he was too old, slow and prone to mistakes, he was dropped for consecutive poor performances and never played again. Our last left back was a retrained King who played for the rest of the season, he did a decent job but I'll be looking to strengthen.

Centre-backs - Hartley was a rock, but didn't score as many goals as last season, he played every single game, total legend. Kerr played alongside him but was dropped due to poor from and Andy Brown came in; a Scottish regen, he did very well and he's rated highly by the coaching staff.

Right Winger - Right wing was tricky. Arnison was injured and never really recovered so I brought in "Ooh, Betsy" who did a decent job. I'll look to strenthen here as Betsy doesn't respond well to pre-match comments, the wimp. icon13.gif

Left Winger - Ledgy was superb, played every game, got a decent cross, provides height to win the ball, scores freekicks, my favourite player and favourite with the fans.

Central Midfield - Bell and Phelan carried on for most of the season, Bell as always did consistantly well and Phelan had a better season than our last, but still isn't clinical enough for me. Morrison took over for the final games and impressed, he'll be the attacking midfielder for us next season but I am worried about his tackling stat.

Strikers - I got rid of Koffi and McCarthy and brought in Mangan and Watt. Fairhurst proved to be an invaluable asset for us, he can win the ball and hold it up, plus he's got a decent finish too. Mangan was superb, his pace tortures defenses and he got a good goal return. Watt played more as a sub but still did well, and his stats look superb for this level, the staff rave about him and he's got a bright future. Morrison also started the season upfront and impressed.

Subs -

Bayley - Filled in and did his job but nothing special.

Blackwood - Played backup and will be released.

Ross - Filled in on the Right-Wing and has some potential.

McKenna - Impressed on loan at Newcastle Blue Stars and has some potential.

Thank you bermybhoy!

Season 1 - 2008/2009

Media prediction: 22nd

Finish: 8th

League

Graph

So it was my first season guiding Chippenham through the league experience. My first priorities were to bring in some back room staff as there were none; so in came an assistant manager, 2 scouts and a coach. None were spectacualr, but got the job done. On a £2.29k p/w wage budget I couldn't afford to be extravagent!

Transfer wise I found it very hard to find any quality players that would actually sign for Chippenham, therefore the squad lacked much quality & depth.

Squad

As you can see, very small! At times I relied on grey players icon_biggrin.gif

The standouts were Fairhurst and Mycoe.

For most of the season we were languishing just above the relegation places, but around Jan/Feb I managed to get Ribeiro on loan from Bristol City and he was influencial in our league rise. With about 6 games to go we were in with a shout of grabbing a playoff spot, but results didn't go our way.

I am very encouraged with the way our season ended, and am confident that we can get atleast a playoff spot next season with some added quality to the squad icon_smile.gif

Marine - Premier League 2032/33

After snatching the title from Newcastle last season, this season would be a lot harder. Squad Depth was going to be a problem this season, on the plus side after losing so many players over the last few seasons I'm running out of players to sell. My Strike Force would be hit hard this season Spanish Striker Jose Carlos Vargas joined A.Madrid for £15m after wanting out last season and Brazilian Striker Ricardo joined Espanyol for £20m, after he started moaning before I'd even had a chance to play him this season, this would leave Rowlands and Lasarte as my only real strikers (whilst Wingers Radice and Volkov could play upfront they were more effective on the wings).

Transfers in wise I poached a couple of promising English youngsters - Newcastle again churning out the most promising youngsters, I also signed a promising Serbian Tomic from Paris for £12.5m who can play in midfield, on the left or upfront however he didn't get a Work Permit and was loaned out to Spain, he did actually get a Permit after the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers however for some reason I forgot to include a recall clause in his loan icon_frown.gif

In addition to that my Feeder Clubs actually produced a couple of promising players - Australian Rocky Mullins who can play at centre-back or upfront was signed, but he also didn't get a Work Permit, but he managed to get one in April and was promptly recalled. My last signing was a promising Mexican Striker Cristobal Michel who would join in Jan when he turned 18 and rather surprisingly he actually got a Work Permit.

Also at the beginning of the season I took the Croatian National Job when offered it, to further expand the languages my manager knows - which maybe a mistake as there is a serious lack of decent players, however we have an easy group with just NIreland and Turkey providing competition.

Back to Marine and the season got off to a fantastic start we destroyed Man City 5-0 in the Community Shield, however after that our goals dried up (apart from a 4-0 hammering of Mboro), we just seemed to lack any ability to attack let alone score - looks like the PremierLeague sides had adapted to my tactics - in the past we ripped apart teams who gave us space, but struggled against defensive sides, this season saw nearly everyone go defensive and we'd spent nearly every game assaulting the other teams goal, however our final ball would let us down - the final pass would more often go nowhere near my striker, and when it did my Striker managed to smash the ball away from the goal.

After nine games we'd only managed to win 2 of them, on the plus side we drew the other 7 as my defence for the most part was unbeatable. In October we finally picked up some form winning four games in a row before suffering our first defeat in 23 league games to a Newcastle team who were also struggling, like us they were unbeatable but were drawing most games, and had also managed to play three games less than the rest of us. (Rather annoyingly we were one game short of equaling Chelsea's 24 game unbeaten run from 2025/26 and to add insult to injury Newcastle would last to Feb this season -25 games- before losing at home to Liverpool.

We followed the Newcastle game with a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal after Volkov missed a late pen, and that game was surronded by three 0-0 home draws, which took us upto Chrismas and saw us sat in 8th place in the league - thanks to us now being three games behind everyone else and having drawn 8 of our 18 games so far.

We then won our next 7 league games only conceeding one goal, bringing us into February where things were starting to get interesting (outside of the league anyway - we only had two league games in Feb - 1st and 5th, that didn't help our of League Position).

We had the small matter of only our second Carling Cup Final - we beat Championship Side Charlton 2-0 in the Third Round, then needed extra-time to beat Wolves 3-2, we also needed extra-time to beat Man City in the Quarter Final with Centre-Back Bonomi scoring from a corner in the 120th minute after he'd only been brought on to take a pen (he was only on the bench in the first place, as he'd been dropped from my first team due to his refusal to sign a new contract, that he eventually signed when he realized nobody was interested in him). This set up a Semi-Final against Newcastle, whilst we lost the first leg 2-1 in Newcastle, we took them apart in the second leg at home, John Brittain but us ahead on away goals just after the hour, and new signing Michel booked our place in the final with two debut goals in the last 10mins after he'd been brought on for a woeful Lasarte who was in the middle of a 15hour goal drought.

In the Final we'd be taking on Title rivals Arsenal, and we didn't get off to the best of starts - Arsenal took the lead after 5mins with a free header from a corner, but midway through the first half Lasarte brought us level - he'd finally rediscovered his scoring touch with a double against Huddersfield in the FA Cup the previous week. And in the second half Arsenal again took an early lead, Racic again scoring from a corner icon_frown.gif but midway through the second half we again equalisled Centre-back Johnson scoring from a corner, after that we finally found our feet in the game and assaulted Arsenals goal but just couldn't score as the game went into Extra-time we still couldn't find a way past Arsenal's Keeper, and so pens it would be. We then endured possibly the worst pen shootout I've since, both our Brazilian Defenders scored the opening pens. We then blasted our 2nd pen over the bar, whilst Arsenal sent it wide of the post, both the Third pens were saved by the Keepers, before Bonomi gave us a chance when Barton saved Arsenal's 4th, however Arsenal's Keeper saved our 5th pen and Arsenal scored to send it to sudden-death, we blasted our first over the bar again, whilst Barton saved theirs, then Rowland blasted his against the post and Arsenal's last taker a German Weber scored to give Arsenal the Carling Cup icon_frown.gif

We'd follow up the Carling Cup Final with some more poor pens in the Champions League this time - we'd again breezed through the Group stage, smashing 7 goals past Sporting, and beating Lazio and FC Twente 1-0, whilst we lost the reverse fixtures to FC Twente and Lazio we still went through top. In the Knockout round we'd make another trip to Russia to play Zenit this time, after a woeful 0-0 in Russia I was confident of a home win, however with Zenit content to draw 0-0, we just couldn't take our chances, and in the 89th minute we had a golden chance to win it with the ref giving us a pen, but Ollie Clayton's poor pen was easily saved by the Keeper, so Extra-Time it would be.

In the 93rd minute the ref turned down our appeals for a second pen, but then awarded us one in the 100th minute when Marcio was tripped, upstepped Johnson but he smashed his pen wide of the post icon_frown.gif

With us unable to find a winner in extra-time the game would go to a shootout icon_frown.gif

What resulted was the most one sided shootout I've seen - Johnson and Clayton madeup for their early misses, whilst Zenit sent one wide and skied the other.

We followed our pen victory against Zenit by destroying Bolton 4-1 in the FA Cup 6th Round - after having beaten Spurs 1-0 in the Third Round and needed a 114th minute pen in a replay against Soton to make it past the 4th round, we then destroyed Huddersfield 5-0 in the 5th Round thanks to a double from Lasarte who finally ended his 15 hour goal drought and my young Mexican Striker Michel also helped himself to a double.

In the middle of March we got back to playing in the League beating Bolton 3-0 just after we'd beaten them in the FA Cup and Birmingham 1-0 - With the end of the season approaching we were now third in the League, only one point behind Liverpool with a game in hand, and 9 points behind leaders Newcastle with three games in hand on them - so if we won our games in hand we'd be back in the title race.

However things started to fall apart we went to New Anfield and lost 3-1, where we helpfuly gifted Liverpool all three goals icon_frown.gif This left us still third but we now only had one game in hand over both Liverpool and Newcastle who were four and six points clear of us.

Then the International break ripped my team apart - Midfielders Volkov, Brittain and Richard all picked up injuries on International duty that would keep them out for a month, then two more of my midfielders got injuried Wingers Cook and Taylor, leaving me with no cover in midfield. With my team down to the bare bones we then lost 2-1 to WBA thanks to gifting them two late goals, even worse the Scorer was one of my ex-players, who's two goals against me were the only ones he scored all season icon_frown.gif Liverpool and Newcastle were now both 7pts clear of me, but at least Liverpool had played one more game and Newcastle two, whilst I had just 8 games of the season left to catch up.

Though the chase for the title would again take a break - two weeks this time whilst we played in the Champions League and FA Cup.

In the Champions League Quarter-Finals we'd be meeting AC Milan for the first time, and the first leg in Italy didn't go well Milan won 1-0 and Left Winger Radice got himself injured and would miss the second leg.

Next up was the FA Cup Semi-Final and yet again we'd be playing Newcastle - this was our 7th FA Cup meeting in 15 years. The game actualy turned out rather poor for a change, neither of us were able to get our shots on goal, until after the 94th minute (when time should have been up), the ref gave Newcastle a pen for a trip and sent off my capatain Bonomi, Newcastle then scored the pen with the last kick off the game icon_frown.gif (Showing how poor the game was, was the fact that Bonomi even with his red card still won man of the match!)

So we now had the small matter of having to beat AC Milan at home, with most of my midfield injured and on the back of four straight defeats.

So I decided to change my formation, I replaced my DM with an AM, as the DM wasn't getting into games this season, and dropped my wingers back from the AMLR positions to the MLR positions. In came Luke Rowlands as my AM as Richard was still injured, whilst Lasarte was given the nod as the Striker (Both Lasarte and Rowlands can play in the AM pos). The new formation worked a treat, we were able to keep the ball upfront longer with Rowlands finding plenty of space, and both Rowlands and Lasarte scored giving us a 2-0 win putting us through to the Semi's, one slight problem was Lasarte getting injured after he scored and he'd miss the rest of the season, and we were now in trouble with Rowlands in the hole I didn't have a proven striker.

Back in the League we could only draw 0-0 against Newcastle, as a half-fit Radice and Mexican Youngster Michel failed to impress upfront, we'd now also fallen down to 5th in the league, as Birmingham and Portsmouth had gone past me by a couple of points due to having played three more games than me, Newcastle were 7pts ahead having played two more games, whilst Liverpool were looking good for the League sitting 9pts clear of me with just one game extra.

We finally started to get some luck Australian Mullins scored his first two goals for the club in a 3-0 win over Soton, whilst both Liverpool and Newcastle crashed 1-0 away. We then beat Man Utd 1-0 at Old Trafford thanks to a 2nd minute goal from Rowlands who I was subbing when it looked like the game was won as he was my last first choice attacking player still fit, we were also given a bit of luck as Liverpool could only draw 0-0 to Arsenal. We were now back into Third place having played 33 games, two points and two games behind Newcastle but four points and one game behind Liverpool.

We then had to the distraction of the Champions League Semi-Final where we'd play Arsenal for the second season in a row and again we destroyed them in the first leg 4-0 this time, with a fit again Richard pulling the strings from the hole, taking the pressure off of Rowlands. (The fit again John Brittain grabbing a double helped aswell).

Back in the League Morale was high and we pounded Everton with 23 shots (14 on target) without reply, but couldn't add to our 2nd minute goal, but a 1-0 win was enough and with Newcatle losing in the evening to Arsenal, we took Second place for the First time this season (only took 34 games and until the end of April).

In the Champions League Arsenal reclaimed some pride managing to beat us 1-0, as I fielded a defensive second string that limited Arsenal to half chances, and they were never in danger of scoring 4 or more.

It was a good thing I didn't need a result in the second leg, because after playing Arsenal in London on the Tuesday we'd face them at home in the League on the Thursday! My nicely rested team smashed Arsenal 4-0 again, though Volkov getting injured wasn't part of the plan.

This meant after 35 games we were four points clear of Newcastle and four points behind Liverpool with one game in hand on each of them.

Our last three league games would see us play Man Utd (the other game had been postponed from around October orginaly, so we ended up playing them twice in 3 weeks) and Man City at Home and finish with Leeds away.

We managed to beat Man Utd 1-0 again thanks to Rowlands, but Liverpool and Newcastle both won, but Newcastle were now out of the title race and would have to settle for their second third place finish in a row. The Man City game turned out to be a walk in the park, they didn't turn up for a change and we won 4-0, though Radice getting injured again wasn't in the plan and he'd struggle to recover for the UCL Final.

So with one game left we were just one point behind Liverpool and a better GD meant if Liverpool lost and we at least drew the title would be ours, we'd win the title if we won and Liverpool didn't, whereas Liverpool would win the title with a win or if we lost.

Whilst we were away to Leeds, Liverpool would travel to Mboro. We started well against Leeds and in the 4th minute Bettney scored the rebound from a Volkov free-kick that was deflected, however despite having nearly all the possesion our shooting let us down and we couldn't add to our tally, but it didn't matter as Leeds never threatened and we managed to claim our 8th 1-0 win of the season.

All we needed now was for Liverpool not to have won at MBoro - Boro took the lead in the 58th minute, but Liverpool's £45m striker Ciobanu equalised in the 88th minute, but then in injury time Boro scored the Winner to send the title to Marine icon_smile.gif

Table - My Defense won the title for us this season, we only conceeded 16 goals and only three at home - we haven't conceeded a home goal since September in the league, though drawing 7 home games nearly proved costly - we had 7 0-0 draws this season, whilst we kept a clean sheet in 28 league games this season!

POS Graph shows we were only top of the league after the last game, if we didn't spent nearly all season three games behind we could have claimed the title a lot earlier.

I'm also apparently a fans' favourite now, though not enough to get onto the favoured panel.

Team of the Season was a little disapointing only three players making it - Flannagan, Rowlands and Academy player Knowles, as again my players get snubed in the awards, though an Italian Midfielder I loaned to Sheff Utd did claim Young Player of the Year.

The season wasn't over yet as we still had the Champions League Final against Inter Milan to play, but again we failed to impress and Inter scored the only goal of the game in the 69th minute, giving us our second defeat in a row icon_frown.gif

Marine Squad - World-Class Keeper Kevin Barton had a fine season when called upon, not that the ratings reflect that, whilst his value has shot upto £18m making him my most valuable player. My defence also had a sold season, with English Right-Back Will Cartwright becoming my latest Wonderkid, and with Bonomi the oldest at 27 they should get better, provided they don't start moaning.

In midfield DM's Romeo and Lopez didn't impress mainly due to not having much to do, though Romeo did improve when he was moved into midfield but at 31 is likely to find his chances limited as I have several promising young midfielders. Towards the end of the season with a change in formation and injuries piling up Ollie Clayton looks to have claimed the midfield position alongside World-Class Midfielder Colin Bettney. On the Wings Radice and Taylor continue on the left, whilst Barrow and Volkov have the right.

The Attacking Midfield spot will hopefully be Richards, though Luke Rowlands impressed he's needed up front as Eduardo Lasarte had his worst season in years, though I do have another Academy player Joe Cook providing cover in the AM position or on the right wing. Providing cover upfront this season were two new signings from my feeder clubs - Mexican Cristobal Michel was used as a sub to rest Lasarte and Rowlands once games were won, and he seemed to like the cups grabbing 5 goals from 4 sub appearances, whilst Australian Rocky Mullins was called upon when I had no-one else.

Snapshot - We conceeded one goal ever two games, whilst my Croatian career got off to a good start - we beat Malta and Turkey 1-0 before smashing Slovakia 5-0, though in March we could only draw 1-1 to Azer who scored in the 90th minute, in the summer we beat N.Ireland 4-0 and Malta 2-0, but then lost 2-1 to Turkey and drew 0-0 to Slovakia after losing several players to injuries and retirement, there is also not much depth in the Croatian ranks. And with two games left we are 1pt ahead of N.Ireland and 3 ahead of Turkey.

Profile - no real change, though being manager of Croatia seems to gain you more knowledge of Bosnia than Croatia.

Club Infomation - we finally reach Worldwide Reputation, and the board expand the ground past 70,000. Whilst on the rich list we are worth nearly £1B more than the second side Barcelona, currently at the moment we are worth more than £1B more than the Second Richest English Side Arsenal (1.23B to £172m), and we could actually afford to buy out most of the other Premiership clubs (It'd be fun to spend £171m on buying Liverpool and turning them into a Marine B side icon_smile.gif)

Whilst England wise I actually have two of Englands three star players - Barton and Flanagan, I also currently have Englands first choice Keeper (Barton), Centre-backs (Flanagan and Johnson) and Central-Midfielders (Bettney and Clayton) whilst my Wingers Barrow and Taylor are in the squad, Rowlands would be but he is injured. Now just need to get all three star players, see how many players I can get into the England squad without buying them and get some Academy players into the squad.

And Finally get only my second non-UK or Irish Academy player this season, a young DC/DM from Uzbekistan, after I'd obtained a feeder club from their the season before. (The only other none UK/Irish youth player I had was a Danish Defender, though I supose you could count the Turkish Born English Keeper I got one season).

michaeltmurrayuk - it's nice to see someone keeping going with their club and seeing exactly how big they can become. I've done it in previous years but I just couldn't do it this time.

Fantastic updates as always icon14.gif

We did a lot better than I thought, i was only expecting to finish around the lower mid table area. But a good start to the season and little spurts of good form propelled us up and I almost never left the top five. The season did end on a sad note but i'm optimistic for the next season.

table

final

My squad was made up entirely of free transfers with just a few loan signings throughout the season. My goalkeeper (Steven Arnold) did a decent job but I'll most likely replace him, my defenders were average (with the exception of my left back, Sean Mountford), My first choice midfield was pretty good and my backups after that were not great, and my strikers were amazing with Malcolm Christie getting 37 in 52 and Sam Higgins getting 31 in 49. I do plan on adjusting every area of my squad.

end of year squad

overall best eleven

Player Of The Year

Well what lies ahead for next season? The foolish media are predicting me to finish 17th, but I'm going for a playoff spot, although i wont rule out a 1st place finish icon_biggrin.gif

Archived