dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Best eleven

kaNovi.

Is Scott Gardner the ex Bolton player with Luxembourg as a 1st or 2nd nationality? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes an ex leeds player, and yes Luxembourg is hes second nationality..

He has been great for me

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2384/12012007021710rm3.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4746/12012007021732of3.jpg

He might be leaving me though, hes contract is running out, and im not willing to meet his wage demands.. ill try to wait a bit before renewing it to see if he lowers hes demands </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it, Leeds, not Bolton icon14.gif.

I stumbled accross him in FM06 and he has been a firm favourite ever since, (but I have to sdmit it he was a bit soft and lazy for my liking in FM07) icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hes not the best winger, but i play through the middle and that seems to fit him quite good.. hes been leading my assist the last couple of seasons!

ill say hes great in this version icon_smile.gif

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Annihilator666:

hmm, how important is balance for your defenders ?

I dunno, I never really look for balance. The only things I look for in a defender are: Marking, Tackling, Positioning and Pace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah usually i dont look for balance, but my scout came up with a great dutch defender and the only bad thing about him i could find was hes balance

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9647/12012007033433lu9.jpg

Tiverton 10-11

A really good first season in BSP. Finished 6th, only 4 pts from being in the playoffs. Season didnt start of too well thu, but as the graph will show, it picked up after new year and especially after i got a few mid season signings. Most noteworthy was Eugen Bopp and Charlie Ager. Also Anthony Mason, which has been with me for all the game so far, has started to turn into a very good player. Originally came from loan from Plymouth, but after the first season he left plymouth and luckily i was able to sign him.

Cup runs was as expected in the FA and FAT, but in some strange way, we managed to win the Setanta shield.

FA cup -

4th rnd qual vs Forest Green (1-1) and away (1-2)

1st rnd vs Chelmsford home (4-0)

2nd rnd vs Doncaster home (1-8) not one to look proudly back on.

FAT -

1st rnd vs Farsley away (4-2)

2nd rnd vs Grimsby away (1-2) lost with 9 man, so result was ok.

S.Shld -

4th rnd vs Marine home (2-0)

5th rnd vs Billericay home (2-0)

qtr final vs Kidderminster home (4-2) was behind 1-0 at halftime, really good match!

semi final vs Burton away (1-0)

final vs Hereford (3-1) (txt) Hereford had their manager sacked up to this game. And personally i didnt think we would have a chance, top striker Joe Mason got injured for 2 months just before the game.

Transfers

Overview

Finances

Information

Final League Table

Originally posted by kaNovi:

hmm, how important is balance for your defenders ?

My best defender has 8 for balance, so while it's probably helpful I don't think it's an essential attribute for a centrehalf. I usually look for Tackling, Marking, Heading, Concentration, Decisions, Positioning, Jumping, Strength, and if they're not going to play man marking Anticipation.

countyfan52 - Ilkston Town - Season 2008/09 - Blue Square South

Finally finished my first season. After telling my board we would finish mid table, we then didn't get out of relegation until about 5 games from the end of the season, which was a little disappointing.

Finally finished my first season. After telling my board we would finish mid table, we then didn't get out of relegation until about 5 games from the end of the season, which was a little disappointing.

We ended up 17th so hopefully we can improve next season.

Our best player was undoubtedly Jarman, who I only signed part way through the season. He also won Blue Square North Player of the Season which was nice!

The other star was Obeng who was a rock in the defence. However clubs came in the summer and he was sold for £40k to Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Shame but we needed the money...

Onwards and upwards.

Originally posted by countyfan52:

We ended up 17th so hopefully we can improve next season.

Our best player was undoubtedly Jarman, who I only signed part way through the season. He also won Blue Square North Player of the Season which was nice!

The other star was Obeng who was a rock in the defence. However clubs came in the summer and he was sold for £40k to Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Shame but we needed the money...

Onwards and upwards.

Ok we actually finished 16th.

Missing link:

Blue Square North Player of the Season

Originally posted by dafuge:

Is anyone else using their coaches to get opinions on potential signings rather than their scouts?

It seems that by taking a player on trial you can get far better advice about the player than if you get your scouts to look at him.

I know that this won't apply later on, but I'm in my 5th season and I'm yet to spend a penny on a player.

Well when you've got this guy as your ass man you do tend to listen to what he says about a player. I even send him out to watch players that I am really interested in signing.

Tiverton - Blue Square South - 2009/10 End of Season Update

After a struggling first season in Tiverton, I decided to try and give confidence to the guys who kept us up, and do just a few signings in some key positions. After expanding a few loans, signing a new right winger, and re-loaning Ashley Barnes (who got seriously injured last season after only a few games with us, and had to return home to Plymouth), we were almost set for a new challenge.

Part of the reason of this lack of new signings was an awesome new batch of youngsters. Three of them (Wharton, Bettney, Brooks) went straight into the first team, and filled some glaring gaps we had in both defense and midfield with ease.

After fiddling a bit with the tactics, I settled on a classic 4-1-3-2, which proved a massive improvement over last season's 4-4-2. Pre-season already showed promise, with a 3W-2D-2L record.

The season was pretty calm, with Dorchester taking an early lead and keeping it until the end, and a bunch of 6-7 teams fighting for the playoff spots, Tiverton amongst them. We were in the 2nd-3rd spot for most of the season, and secured a playoff spot with three games left in the regular season.

With the season close to the end, we loaned two extra players from Plymouth (nice thing having them as associates), Adam Young and a fellow spaniard forward named Daniel Pacheco, who managed to win all by himself the playoff semifinal against Braintree, scoring five goals amongst both matches.

The final put us against Lewes, a team we had never managed to beat along the season (we hadn't even scored a goal against them!). To make things worse, Pacheco got a surprise call-up to the Spanish U19 team, so we were left without our most in-form forward. Things looked bad, but... well... in the end we did it. So, yay, promotion!

The final standings show the big improvement we've made in a year, specially in defense, where we went from most goals received in the whole league, to least. The cups went quite well, too, with a nice run up to the 5th round of the Setanta Shield as the highlight.

The best player of the squad was without a doubt Ashley Barnes, who despite battling against minor injuries throughtout the season managed to score 44 goals in 48 matches, with 3 assists, 20 MoMs, and a 7.31 average rating to round it up. Last year's man of the season, Lenell John-Lewis, had a good follow-up in a more supporting role with 14 goals and 14 assists, for a 7.10 rating.

In other news, Chelsea won the Premiership on goal average over Man Utd, Villa got the FA Cup, and Arsenal the League Cup. In Europe, italian teams filled the two finals, with Juventus beating Inter in the Champions Cup, and Lazio winning the Euro Cup agains Milan.

Updated profile. Now, if only I could change the language of the game to English most of that text would be understandable to you all. Grmpf.

Season 2012/13 Review - Tiverton Town in League 2

Following last season's playoff win, I was expecting a tough season as I stepped into the football league for the first time. I told the board I would avoid relegation, with a view to finishing in the top half.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Started off badly, looking like relegation was on the cards. Slowly during the season I started to pick up a few good results putting me in midtable. I finished the season in flying form with 7 wins and a draw in my last 8 games which secured me a playoff place on the final day of the season. With a bit of luck I can take some of that form into the playoffs.

Squad

Transfers

The loans from my parent clubs have become completely useless, so I cancelled both of my parent clubs. My chairman now can't see the point in getting a new one. Picked up a few youngsters on frees from Palace which helped my season, especially as one of them was a half decent keeper, a position I have been struggling with for ages.

Star Player

Signed for nothing, he did the lot up front. Just a shame he can't take penalties.

Oh well, it's those lovely playoffs yet again...

I've finally run the course on my Newcastle game so I've decided to take the home town team to glory - Chelmsford City. Game's on holiday at the moment.

What tactics do people play? I've only had a quick look through the thread, but the main problem I have is tactics getting found out and exploited, yet you guys are having success years down the line. How?

King's Lynn End of August 2008 update

I am very happy with me and my teams start. I have a good feeling we are going to get promoted at the first attempt. Although, this is only because my parent club rocks!!! My Transfer- Can you guess who my parent club are?. The results and permances in all my games so far have been very good, August Results. I also won manager of the month becasue look where we are

Originally posted by Britrock:

I've finally run the course on my Newcastle game so I've decided to take the home town team to glory - Chelmsford City. Game's on holiday at the moment.

What tactics do people play? I've only had a quick look through the thread, but the main problem I have is tactics getting found out and exploited, yet you guys are having success years down the line. How?

I'm playing my sexy football tactic, and haven't changed it much. Every now and again I switch to a direct style when playing much stronger opposition, but my first tactic has done well without changing it over time.

Originally posted by slappy_bag:

i can't get a parent club. every time the board search the come back empty handed. is there any way to improve my chances of getting a parent club?

btw westhamrob what is that skin your using?

I can't get one either. I had two at the start of the game but after cancelling them the chairman doesn't think it is worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by slappy_bag:

i can't get a parent club. every time the board search the come back empty handed. is there any way to improve my chances of getting a parent club?

btw westhamrob what is that skin your using?

I can't get one either. I had two at the start of the game but after cancelling them the chairman doesn't think it is worth it.

i already had norwich as a parent club, i tried to get another one but the bpard couldnt get one.. I am using the flex skin, go into the graphics and skinning board its in their somewhere.

Hitchin League 1 - 2011/2012

After Successive promotions and titles from BSS to League 2 I wondered if this could be one promotion too far.

For quite a while I thought that it could be especially at the end of 2011 when we were about midtable. Then the transfer window re-opened and I managed to sign a couple of players that turned my season around.

We then went on an unbeaten league run which included the 3rd round of the FA cup against Premier League Side Burnley. Which we won on a replay to face another EPL side Reading at home.

Again we managed to hold them, but the replay was a whole different matter where they thrashed us 7-1

At one point in the league we were 2nd, then another bad patch of form happened and eventually dropped us to 6th in the league

Then onto the playoffs.

The first leg went well with Baidoo getting the only goal, but we also had the midfield playmaker out injured for a week.

The second leg was very tough and wasn't helped by having the captain sent off for violent conduct just after half time. But we managed to hold on and went on to meet Swansea in the playoff final.

The final was not very nice. My players didn't play as well as they could do and the Swans won it 1-0

Homepage - the finances aren't too bad but I do sometimes go over the wage budget and that's something that I'll need to keep an eye on.

Information - both myself and Keith Gilroy are on the favoured personnel list. The board have updated the facilities a bit, but not by too much so far. Still no stadium expansion despite getting more or less sell out crowds for most of the season.

Transfers 1 Transfers 2

Squad

Shabazz Baidoo - released by QPR and now due to the 2 years he spent at Hitchin on loan is the clubs record scorer with 75 goals. He was the fans's player of the year as well. He did have a couple of dry spells that caused us to slip up in the league.

Scott Davies - free transfer from Exeter. A little injury prone, but a good creative midfielder.

James Hayter - revitalised the season when he joined. I suspect that he won't be playing as major a part next season as my tactics relies on pace in the strikers.

Pay Kanyuka - another ex-loanee from QPR. He provides some much needed pace to central defence.

Tim Ewing - one of 3 newgens that I believe have a good future at the club. I may be sending him out on loan next season as he needs some first team action.

Neil McLaughlin - this striker is more then a little arrogant as he refuses to be tutored by other players. He could be a good player in the future for us.

Guy Nicholls - without a doubt this is potentially the best player at the club. He does have some problems with discipline taht I may need to beat out of him. If it wasn't for the fact that Keith Gilroy has been playing out of his skin then he would be a first team regular.

Next Season

Improve the squad with at least 2 first team members (1 has already been signed)

Use the loan system to better effect. None of the season long loan players really forced their way into the first team on a regular basis.

Get another feeder and aparent club. I have QPR who narrowly evaded relegation from the Championship last season and Fisher who aren't in a playable league.

One bit of really good news is that there will be a new stadium but having to pay £100k in bank fees per month means that we need a cup run or two and/or promotion to help pay for it. 3800 fans won't be able to do it themselves.

So I may have the board sell some players over my head if I'm not too careful with the finaces.

Witton Albion - 11/12 - Rodrigo De La Vega

A long hard season. I told the board we would avoid relegation and we did, finishing 19th instead of the predicted 24th icon_smile.gif

League

The team was really inconsistant but new boy Anson and on loan Cedric Evina made the difference in the end.

Got some good news at the end of the season in the form of a stadium expansion. Only 600ish seats but it's a start. More seats, more money and then better players. It's a progression I like icon_biggrin.gif

Expansion 1

Expansion 2

Hopefully I'll be able to get some new players in that can shore up the team and move us up.

Originally posted by dirty1982dec:

well done dafuge. but you were bound to go through against my local team. "what? you've got lincoln in the play-offs? you're gonna win." jesus, what were the odds on that game. you must have been even money. if not, i would have had my house on you winning.

icon_biggrin.gif

Lincoln's record in the playoffs recently makes mine look amazing

Archived