Tactical Theorems & Frameworks

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the kind words, Ssaun, but we will do our best to correct those mistakes and make sure we don't make them again.

If anyone notices anything glaringly wrong, please PM or e-mail me (thinktank@fm-britain.co.uk) and I'll try to fix it for the next release.

Appreciate the kind words, Ssaun, but we will do our best to correct those mistakes and make sure we don't make them again.

If anyone notices anything glaringly wrong, please PM or e-mail me (thinktank@fm-britain.co.uk) and I'll try to fix it for the next release.

Millie / wwfan, excuse me asking a specific tactic question in this thread but can you advise or point me in the direction of officially how to make 4141 work.

To be more specific, I use the FM10 Guide Doc in conjunction with the wizard doc for FM09 to clarify settings (the FM2010 tactic creator is great but sometimes I need the structured guidance on how to set it up, though the actual setting up process has been streamlined & simplified), however last years document did not cover 4141 specifically.

Thanks

Millie / wwfan, excuse me asking a specific tactic question in this thread but can you advise or point me in the direction of officially how to make 4141 work.

To be more specific, I use the FM10 Guide Doc in conjunction with the wizard doc for FM09 to clarify settings (the FM2010 tactic creator is great but sometimes I need the structured guidance on how to set it up, though the actual setting up process has been streamlined & simplified), however last years document did not cover 4141 specifically.

Thanks

I take it you still want to make tactics using the classic slider system, then, tigerh?

I suppose it depends on what sort of 4-1-4-1 you're trying to make. First, I would say that the striker has to be a FCd. Then you need to work out how you would provide support to him. Naturally, it would come from at least on central midfielder and the wingers. So, having one MC as a support box-to-box type and one as an attacking central midfielder (of some type - perhaps a CM, perhaps an adv. play maker). And then the wide players should probably be on an attack duty with winger or wide midfielder roles.

Forgive me, but I don't tend to use the sliders very much at all now. All my mentality and other frameworks are done using the tactics creator, with the occassional tweak in the advanced settings. So the only advice I can give you on the basic framework would be to use the TC and then convert it.

Philosophy wise, playing a slightly more fluid philosophy (balanced or fluid) might help the players play close enough together to stop the FC being isolated. More rigid ones may be more defensively stable, but then the FC might pretty much be on his own.

I take it you still want to make tactics using the classic slider system, then, tigerh?

I suppose it depends on what sort of 4-1-4-1 you're trying to make. First, I would say that the striker has to be a FCd. Then you need to work out how you would provide support to him. Naturally, it would come from at least on central midfielder and the wingers. So, having one MC as a support box-to-box type and one as an attacking central midfielder (of some type - perhaps a CM, perhaps an adv. play maker). And then the wide players should probably be on an attack duty with winger or wide midfielder roles.

Forgive me, but I don't tend to use the sliders very much at all now. All my mentality and other frameworks are done using the tactics creator, with the occassional tweak in the advanced settings. So the only advice I can give you on the basic framework would be to use the TC and then convert it.

Philosophy wise, playing a slightly more fluid philosophy (balanced or fluid) might help the players play close enough together to stop the FC being isolated. More rigid ones may be more defensively stable, but then the FC might pretty much be on his own.

Thanks Millie, but no, no, I do not like the sliders, never have! - tactic creator all the way for me now!. But even setting up with the creator I found that the FM09 wizard can be of some help.

Thanks Millie, but no, no, I do not like the sliders, never have! - tactic creator all the way for me now!. But even setting up with the creator I found that the FM09 wizard can be of some help.

Ah, I see. Well, I tend to use the creator to build the tactic, but then use the interface to make changes through the game, alongside the opposition instructions and the touchline instructions. I don't see the TC as creating a tactic file, more setting up a style of play which you can then modify as you go.

Millie, I have a few questions regarding the new TC...

1) When is it good to use Roaming, and when is it good to Stick to Postion?

2) If I was a Relegation candidate would I choose Rigid?

3) Can I play an Attacking Strategy against Everton if I was Hull, If I used 'Very Rigid'?

Roaming is useful for a player who you want to move around and make space. Some players you will want to stick fast; others you'd want to move around. There's no right answer to this, but on the whole teams who want to keep a good shape and focus on defence will keep almost all of their players in position. More creative sides might look to get their players to roam.

Philosophy is down to how you want your team to play. Poor sides don't have to use a rigid philosophy, but it can help. I find that in the more traditional shapes (like 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, etc.), the more rigid philosophies help keep the players together and defensively sound. However, right now I'm using a 4-1-3-2 (with DC, DC; WBL, DMC, WBR; MC, MC, MC; FC, FC), and I find that because of the weight of numbers at the back and the isolation of my front two that playing with a fluid philosophy helps keep the team together more and allows players to cover spaces if they get left.

All I would say is that the more fluid philosophies will tend to disrupt the shape of the team in defence in favour of fluidity in the attack. So, you will need very gifted players to play a very fluid system well if you don't take steps to make sure your defence is covered. In my case, I have at most times 8 players who between them patrol the back of the field - but my trade off for that is far less attacking ability.

As for attacking strategies - it really depends on what the game requires. Plenty of teams get points against "bigger" teams by "having a go" and getting stuck in from the first minute. They catch the opposition off guard and exploit the holes they leave as they attack. So, yes, of course you can play attacking with a very rigid philosophy. But it may not be the best option overall.

Don't equate "rigidity" with "defensiveness" though. It is easier to play defensive football with a rigid structure. But a very fluid team can doggedly defend well for 90 minutes just as a very rigid team can play sublime attacking football. Philosophy controls the gaps between players, defines which players attack and which defend and generally dictates how much overlap there is between the defensive and attacking players on the team. It is only loosely related, but not dependent upon, strategy.

Roaming is useful for a player who you want to move around and make space. Some players you will want to stick fast; others you'd want to move around. There's no right answer to this, but on the whole teams who want to keep a good shape and focus on defence will keep almost all of their players in position. More creative sides might look to get their players to roam.

Philosophy is down to how you want your team to play. Poor sides don't have to use a rigid philosophy, but it can help. I find that in the more traditional shapes (like 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, etc.), the more rigid philosophies help keep the players together and defensively sound. However, right now I'm using a 4-1-3-2 (with DC, DC; WBL, DMC, WBR; MC, MC, MC; FC, FC), and I find that because of the weight of numbers at the back and the isolation of my front two that playing with a fluid philosophy helps keep the team together more and allows players to cover spaces if they get left.

All I would say is that the more fluid philosophies will tend to disrupt the shape of the team in defence in favour of fluidity in the attack. So, you will need very gifted players to play a very fluid system well if you don't take steps to make sure your defence is covered. In my case, I have at most times 8 players who between them patrol the back of the field - but my trade off for that is far less attacking ability.

As for attacking strategies - it really depends on what the game requires. Plenty of teams get points against "bigger" teams by "having a go" and getting stuck in from the first minute. They catch the opposition off guard and exploit the holes they leave as they attack. So, yes, of course you can play attacking with a very rigid philosophy. But it may not be the best option overall.

Don't equate "rigidity" with "defensiveness" though. It is easier to play defensive football with a rigid structure. But a very fluid team can doggedly defend well for 90 minutes just as a very rigid team can play sublime attacking football. Philosophy controls the gaps between players, defines which players attack and which defend and generally dictates how much overlap there is between the defensive and attacking players on the team. It is only loosely related, but not dependent upon, strategy.

Thanks Millie, Great response :)

@any one having trouble with the e-mail system - it's still up. Check your spam folders, and if you haven't got anything then e-mail us at support@fm-britian.co.uk and we'll get it to you as soon as we possibly can.

@celebritykiller: roaming is simply the new name for the "free role". As far as I'm aware, it still behaves in roughly the same way, but I've never looked at hidden attributes so I can't say how closely linked the old FR positional rating and playing with a free role now are.

Good job, no doubt. But I think the last TT ('09) had a much better explanation and were more useful. Maybe it is because of new creator.

Which explanations did you find more useful, kurach? This version of the guide has a lot more information in it, so if we've lost something since the previous version we'd like to know.

Other than the sliders (which we deliberately left out for obvious reasons), I would say there's a lot more information in the guide this time around. But we'd love to hear your feedback.

I would like to see more general guide, like wich passing is best with width/narrow width, when to use press of more, and stand of more closing down, and some "stuff" like this.

Also, what I don't like is that, often there is sentence "Experiment to see what is the best".

Maybe I am wrong, but...

Well, experimentation is the best way to learn. There are no right answers. There is no best passing to use with narrow width.

But we will take that on board and aim to give greater clarity to the relationship between different settings. :thup:

@ Millie and/or Gareth

Laindrain from fmleague.net should have contacted you for German translation. It's nearly complete (only visions are missing) and so Laindrain now does the formatting to your FMB-design.

I also have written to one of you about exploring some German teams. I'll have that still in mind and would like to contribute with Hoffenheim and Leverkusen. But this must wait till end of february after my exams at university. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick question regarding the Touchline Instructions in TT&T 10

How long does it take before the instruction takes effect & whether or not you it is right?

I think they're supposed to take effect the next time the ball goes out of play, so can be a few seconds or few minutes. When it's pending the box will 'grey out' and when it becomes active both the box will go normal and a commentary line will say 'changed tactics'.

I tried to download it at your website, but when I click on download, it only goes to the bottom of the page. I cannot click anything anywhere there to go to the download. Is it possible to get the download in any other way, please?

I think they're supposed to take effect the next time the ball goes out of play, so can be a few seconds or few minutes. When it's pending the box will 'grey out' and when it becomes active both the box will go normal and a commentary line will say 'changed tactics'.

Cheers Phnompenhandy

I assume that Ass Man comments change when the Touchline Instruction is right?

Cheers Phnompenhandy

I assume that Ass Man comments change when the Touchline Instruction is right?

There is no "right" touchline instruction - the ass man will just give feedback based on his preferred tactical set up. Although, once you agree with him, he should stop moaning. :)

There is no "right" touchline instruction - the ass man will just give feedback based on his preferred tactical set up. Although, once you agree with him, he should stop moaning. :)

Cheers Millie.

Its just that on certain instructions they change as soon as the ball goes out of play where as other instructions don't seem to be taking effect. That's why I queried the shouts :p

Millie,

Sorry to bother you again but, I just need clarification on one point in the Touchline Instructions.

In Performance when the Ass Man says play more long balls forward and/or having success with long balls should you either use "Pump Ball Into Box" or "Clear Ball To Flanks" as they conflict with each other. This normally comes up with "We Are Having A Lot of Success With Our Crosses" in Statistics.

That really depends on what you're aiming to do. If you're having success with longer passes, then how you are playing seems to be working. If he's asking for more long balls, you could use the shouts, or you could change the passing settings to "more direct".

The advice from the assistant doesn't marry up exactly with any shouts - it just gives statistical analysis, pointing out where the team are doing well, where they're doing badly and offering a solution based on how the ass man would play. He's not always right, either. If, however, you agree with him, then the best thing to do is to work out how to keep doing what you're doing well while minimising the damage.

Pump ball into box will tell the more defensive players to play longer passes to the forwards. Clear ball to flanks will tell the team to lengthen the passing and focus it down the wings. Which choice you make will depend on how you want the team to play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Which explanations did you find more useful, kurach? This version of the guide has a lot more information in it, so if we've lost something since the previous version we'd like to know.

Other than the sliders (which we deliberately left out for obvious reasons), I would say there's a lot more information in the guide this time around. But we'd love to hear your feedback.

I would say opposition instructions lost a bit of detail compared to 2009 tbh, I still find myself referring to that iteration regarding OI.

I like the new layout used for C&PW btw, much better not having to scroll down the pages.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is there a disadvantage to giving alot of OI's? Like say I apply OI's to 8 out of the 10 opposition outfield players, would there be a disadvantage here?

Secondly, if the opposition is closing down my playmaker all the time, what can I change to have him perform despite this other than changing the entire team's tempo?

Also, if my cross completion ratio is extremely low consistently, mostly because my strikers are poor in the air. What can I do to change this beside buying a striker that is strong in the air?

Thanks

Shiraz

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, is there a disadvantage to giving alot of OI's? Like say I apply OI's to 8 out of the 10 opposition outfield players, would there be a disadvantage here?

Secondly, if the opposition is closing down my playmaker all the time, what can I change to have him perform despite this other than changing the entire team's tempo?

Also, if my cross completion ratio is extremely low consistently, mostly because my strikers are poor in the air. What can I do to change this beside buying a striker that is strong in the air?

Thanks

Shiraz

1. A lot of OI instructions will destroy the shape of your own team as your players get dragged around closing down, tight-marking etc.

2. IMO best bet is set him to roaming

3. If you have quick strkers you could go to team instructions and set crossing to "drill", otherwise tell your players not to cross - concentrating on either through-balls or passing into feet (think of Spain in the 2010 World Cup)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been answered already, but I'd appreciate some insight.

I've filled out the form 5 times now--twice on my hotmail account, another two times on one of my gmail accounts, and just now, separate from the first four times (which were over 12 hours ago!!), I tried it using another one of my gmail accounts.

It has almost 7 AM where I am now and I believe I registered the first four times over 10 hours ago, and still, nothing...not in my Inbox or junkmail/spam folders...

What can I do??

Don't know if this has been answered already, but I'd appreciate some insight.

I've filled out the form 5 times now--twice on my hotmail account, another two times on one of my gmail accounts, and just now, separate from the first four times (which were over 12 hours ago!!), I tried it using another one of my gmail accounts.

It has almost 7 AM where I am now and I believe I registered the first four times over 10 hours ago, and still, nothing...not in my Inbox or junkmail/spam folders...

What can I do??

E-mail us at support@fm-britain.co.uk

Archived