Tactical Theorems & Frameworks

Thanks ever so much for the support you guys have given us. We had nearly a hundred downloads before we even officially announced that the guide was up and ready to download. So thank you. If you have any problems whatsoever, e-mail us at support@fm-britain.co.uk , and we'll do our very best to get you the guide as soon as possible.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Get your team playing exactly how you want, with in-depth discussion and analysis of the new tactics creator from the people who helped SI develop it. The guide not only looks to show you the nuts and bolts of tactic design, but also how to respond to in match situations.

The guide includes:

• Over 60 pages of tactical advice
  • A comprehensive guide to the new tactical interface
  • Foreword by one of the co-founders of Sports Interactive, Ov Collyer
  • A special bonus guide to real-world football tactics, Tactical Visions, from new Think Tank member playmaker
  • An appendix, giving brief portraits of tactical styles in FM – with links to the forums, encouraging you to contribute to the guide’s development

This year, TT10 is the start of a full season of tactical guides from FM-Britain’s Tactical Think Tank. We will be regularly writing articles for the main site, stimulating discussions on our message boards, and publishing e-books which will bring all of our collective knowledge straight to you in an easy-to-read format.

Unlike previous versions of the guide, TT10 will not cover slider “frameworks”, nor will it attempt to fully analyse the way that tactics are composed using the advanced or “classic” tactical system. We have completely re-written Tactical Theorems for the second time in two years not because we think the philosophy behind it has been superseded but because we feel we now have more room to elaborate on that philosophy. Now that Football Manager 10 can create the frameworks for us, we believe it is more important to teach people how to conceptualise football tactics using this new system and using real-world football terminology. The frameworks will, however, be covered in future Tactical Bible and Tactical Frameworks 10 articles. TT10 will therefore concentrate on the following:

Manager Style: distinct managerial styles require distinct managerial philosophies. While these philosophies are, to an extent, catered for using the “philosophy” settings, there are many other contributing factors including football culture, climate, standard of players, level of competition, importance of result, and, ultimately personal preference. We will try to help these different styles flourish by outlining the basic facets of different styles and how they can be effected in-game.

Match Strategies: Choosing the correct strategy at the correct time is vital to good football management. This is probably the most important macro-tool in the new tactical arsenal.

Formation Theories: 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 3-5-2 are meaningless terms without the theoretical information to back them up. We will look at how formations are constructed, why they have developed in the modern game and what their pros and cons are in relation to performance, style and player abilities.

Player Role Theory: Player roles are important to giving shape and structure to formations beyond the basic positioning of players on the field. They also help add colour to different strategies within the same formation. TT10 will explore how they are used by the new interface and how best to use them in your tactics.

Individual Position Theories: TT10 explains what each of the player roles in FM10 means and how to get the most out of each player. In conjunction with duties and formation, these are the key building blocks to creating your team’s style.

Choosing Your Pitch Size: Key to getting the most of your players is ensuring they play on a suitable ground. Though it may seem trivial, both choosing a suitable pitch to play on at home and adapting to different conditions away can be a significant contributor to good results.

“Shouts”: These are the most dynamic and revolutionary instructions in the new creator, and proper use of these “shouts” can make the world of difference to your team’s performance. TT10 will explore how the touchline instructions can help turn a match in your favour by plugging holes in your own strategy and exploiting the weaknesses of the opposition.

Opposition Instructions: OIs can be vital in combating formations which do not exactly mirror your own, as well as to counter particularly troublesome opposition players. We will attempt to cover the basics as to when to employ them in a match and the positives and negatives of each instruction.

Reading the Match Engine: Throughout, our concern will be about trying to teach players how to better read the changes that go on during a match so that they can better use shouts and instructions; change strategies; combat opposition changes; realise the weaknesses in both their own and their opponent’s systems; and ultimately win football matches.

We wouldn’t have been able to write the guide without the generous help of our community. So, a big thank you to everyone who downloaded Tactical Theorems and Frameworks ’09 (some 200,000 of you, it seems!) and for all the input we have received over the years. We hope that this year’s offering has even more information for you to digest, and we’d love to hear your thoughts.

So, if you’ve got any feedback, good or bad, how about telling us? Follow us via twitter @FM-Britain, or find our face book page by searching for us on your main page. Alternatively, find us on our community forums, or, if you want to contact the authors directly, e-mail us at thinktank@fm-britain.co.uk.

You can download Tactical Theorems ’10 right now by heading to it’s product page and following the instructions!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never had much success with this in the past and always found my own way assisted by other great posters..... that said... providing I did not take the information to literal then there was a wealth of information available in it!

Looking forward to the read!

Congratulation again..... I can only imagine the amount of effort that goes into this!

LAM

I apologize if any of you are having problems downloading the guide... Millie & I are working here together non-stop to make sure that every single person who wants TT10 gets it as easily and quickly as possible.

I've looked into the confirmation e-mail that is sent out... I believe there is just a minor issue that some e-mail clients set to display HTML formatting are mixing up the link tag with the actual URL. The URL itself *should* be valid and I suggest if you are having problems, please cut & paste the full URL (which ends like this: /emd/c/186/6/0/0/0/1MDNTCM6SJHVM/1) into your browser window. This should pull up the download link properly.

I'm aware that this may be an inconvenience and is just a work-around for now. I am currently diving into our opt-in scripting software that handles this and correcting the issue so no further people will have a problem in this regard. Hopefully, this can be resolved within the next hour, but if not, please e-mail us at support@fm-britain.co.uk and we will try to help you as best as we can.

We're absolutely amazed at all the support the community has given us and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts! Really! :-)

What a read, i thought inverting the pyramid was good but this is something else.

Well done and thankyou to everyone who has took time to put tactical theorems 10 together.

Truly outstanding work.

My link doesnt end in "/emd/c/186/6/0/0/0/1MDNTCM6SJHVM/1"

My link is "http://womsend.com/emd/c/454/6/0/0/0/ADVG7UDM420VU/1">http://womsend.com/emd/c/454/6/0/0/0/ADVG7UDM420VU/1</a"

When i changed the ending to "/emd/c/186/6/0/0/0/1MDNTCM6SJHVM/1" it came up "You are not in our database or you have already confirmed your subscription!"

I changed my URL to "http://womsend.com/emd/c/454/6/0/0/0/ADVG7UDM420VU/1" and got the link! :) So, this might solve a few peoples problems. Huge amount of effort put into this!

I changed my URL to "http://womsend.com/emd/c/454/6/0/0/0/ADVG7UDM420VU/1" and got the link! :) So, this might solve a few peoples problems. Huge amount of effort put into this!

Thanks Big-Murph for helping out!

The issue has just boiled down to some e-mail clients "chopping" off the URL link. From what I gather, those using Hotmail, Windows Live or Thunderbird are the most effected by this.

I am on the line right now with the programmer who handles our scripting for this and I expect this problem to be resolved shortly.

Please e-mail support@fm-britain.co.uk if you have ANY problems whatsoever and I will take care of you personally!

@JordanC / @Millie

I've signed up and received my link, however when I follow the link I get the following error ...

You are not in our database or you have already confirmed your subscription![/Quote]

Any ideas ? I'm really keen on getting my hands on this =)

Thanks

-Mic

ive got a hotmail.com email address and am not gettin sent the link anyone else havin the same issues with hotmail.

It's been reported that Hotmail is marking our confirmation e-mail as spam.

I'd check in the proper "spam" folder for the message and/or go to your spam filter settings and allow "@womsend.com" or "gameworldone@womsend.com" permission to be received.

I'm not an expert on the Hotmail interface, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to speak up. I'm going to try to check the Hotmail settings myself and post back here with any further information that will help you receive our confirmation e-mail on that provider.

I've signed up and received my link, however when I follow the link I get the following error ...

Any ideas ? I'm really keen on getting my hands on this =)

Thanks

-Mic

Mic: e-mail support@fm-britain.co.uk under the same e-mail address you submitted. I'll find you in our database and take care of you personally.

Apparently, the confirmation link is VERY sensitive. I believe it's scripted so that it's only valid once - meaning that if for some reason an error occurs, it confirms your address in our database but then fails to direct you to the download page.

This is why I suggest, as a work-around, to cut and paste the proper URL from the e-mail message directly into your browser window.

I'm working with our scripter right now and correcting the formatting of the confirmation mail so that these issues with the link being broken will be resolved. Be aware that this seems to only be affecting a small % of people as I have records showing hundreds of successful downloads of the eBook. Even so, I'm still committed to getting every single person a copy of TT10 as easy and as quickly as possible.

Mic: e-mail support@fm-britain.co.uk under the same e-mail address you submitted. I'll find you in our database and take care of you personally.

Apparently, the confirmation link is VERY sensitive. I believe it's scripted so that it's only valid once - meaning that if for some reason an error occurs, it confirms your address in our database but then fails to direct you to the download page.

This is why I suggest, as a work-around, to cut and paste the proper URL from the e-mail message directly into your browser window.

I'm working with our scripter right now and correcting the formatting of the confirmation mail so that these issues with the link being broken will be resolved. Be aware that this seems to only be affecting a small % of people as I have records showing hundreds of successful downloads of the eBook. Even so, I'm still committed to getting every single person a copy of TT10 as easy and as quickly as possible.

Hi JordanC

Thanks for the prompt response.

I emailed you about 5 minutes ago, copying in the original email you sent me.

I'll look forward to your response.

Thanks

-Mic

@bax01 and ANYONE THAT IS USING HOTMAIL:

I've talked to our opt-in/download scripter as well as Hotmail support.

I've been informed by both parties that the e-mail confirmations are indeed being sent properly to Hotmail users. It's not specifically being marked as spam, but there is a significant delay between the time it hits Hotmail's server and it appears in your inbox.

I've even tested this out myself and it took 22 minutes before the message appeared in my inbox. Other users have also informed me that it has taken even up to an hour.

I know it's pretty tough to be patient when you want to get your hands on TT10 as quickly as possible. Everyone at FM-Britain wants the same thing - having you download this in a timely manner and fully enjoying our guide. As always, if you are still having further problems, don't hesitate at all to e-mail us at support@fm-britain.co.uk and either Millie or I will take care of your needs personally!

The best tactic is the one that make you win. So all tactics are good if you WIN!

It may be a 433, a 452, 4411, 4141, 442, 352, 343 and so on...and you could apply lots of theorems and stuff, but tactics are good if they could reach us wins.

I prefer reading the game engine, instead of follow this teories...but there always something to learn and stimulate critical thinking with this theorems...

keep up

o my dayz! this is like winnig the lotto. I don't really hang out much in forum reading all thread but a thread lead me to this.

jeeez! I'm goona enjoy FM even more with this. my dream of having many season unbeaten can become true! good

Are you guys gonna release a set of tactics like you's did with last years release?

Possibly later on once we've all had a good play with the retail version! The TT10 Appendix which comes with the guide includes some debates on real world styles, which might help you experiment with the new system. But, yes, I'm sure at some point we'll release some basic tactics for people - though I think there's less need this year, what with the new creator doing a lot of the frameworks work for you.

Possibly later on once we've all had a good play with the retail version! The TT10 Appendix which comes with the guide includes some debates on real world styles, which might help you experiment with the new system. But, yes, I'm sure at some point we'll release some basic tactics for people - though I think there's less need this year, what with the new creator doing a lot of the frameworks work for you.

A really liked the TT10 Apendix. It gives good ideas about certain set-ups. But what made you guys include the two bulgarian teams? FYI, i'm bulgarian living in USA for the past 10 years.

It was interesting for me to read your take on Barca tactics. Have you tested this?

Good job and thank you for TT10!

A really liked the TT10 Apendix. It gives good ideas about certain set-ups. But what made you guys include the two bulgarian teams? FYI, i'm bulgarian living in USA for the past 10 years.

It was interesting for me to read your take on Barca tactics. Have you tested this?

Good job and thank you for TT10!

One of the think tank members is Bulgarian.

Really?! That's interesting, is he on this forum? Did he tell you how the bulgarian players set up in the nightclubs :-)

Anyway, I've been using some your advice from the apendix about Barca. It made my tactic a little bit better and more like the real Barcelona. I was using Balanced Philosophy but since I switched to Fluid I've been keeping possession better and getting more chances. Good stuff!

Well, if you follow the link in the Appendix, some of the guys at FM-B have suggested some changes to the Barca tactic to make it even more realistic, so it might be worth following.

His name's cagiva. Whether he frequents these parts, I'm not certain.

Well, if you follow the link in the Appendix, some of the guys at FM-B have suggested some changes to the Barca tactic to make it even more realistic, so it might be worth following.

His name's cagiva. Whether he frequents these parts, I'm not certain.

That link doesn't take me there. It took me to some search site for Britain. So I went to FM Britain myself but couldn't find the correct one. The one I found is from FM09. Could post the correct link here?

Oh, and I saw cagiva on FM Britain. He seems big Liverpool fan....and full of tactical know-how.

Archived