From acorns do oak trees grow.

Graeme

Released list

Adam Hammill - Didn't really do anything to suggest he would go on to be a quality player.

Peter Band - Getting on, and the Conference National is probably a step too far nowadays.

Liam Cockerill - Always OK, but never really fulfilled his potential for me so I will replace him.

Darren Mansaram - At £500/week, never delivered the performances expected.

In terms of signings, the bigegst thing we need to do is to improve our ailing defence. We need to have some real infuluence in there as we currently have no natural leaders anywhere. We also need more solid players in the middle, and someone to partner Gilhaney who will also score 20 goals a season.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 2008

And it's freebie month! Before I can sign anyone though, Nuneaton bid £4k for Phil Gulliver which I accept so he signs for them.

The platers I signed are as follows:

T.J. McClory-Cuthbertson, released by Portsmouth. A striker who can play right-wing, and an exciting aquisition.

Tommy Jaszczun, released by Rochdale. A left back with a solid history and an influential character.

Luke Malcher, released by Hudderfield. An attacking midfielder or forward with potential.

Matt Goodwin, released by Leicester. A left back who can also play in the middle of the defence.

Rostyn Griffiths, released by Bristol City. An attacking midfielder who looks a good player.

Tim Deasy is signed on a free from Watford. A goalkeeper who will give experience alongside Smiths raw talent.

Chris Adams agrees a £1k transfer to Darlington, and signs for them.

Pre-Season Friendlies Start

Training was well under way, and the fixtures started to flow amidst players going in and out of the club.

Southport 2 - 0 Altrincham

ATT: 893

Goals:

(16)

(72)

Southport looked better prepared and hungrier following their relegation. They deserved the win, but it was a close game overall.

Millwall make an enquiry about Scott Wells. I ask for £60k and a 20% sell-on clause. They accept this, and it goes to personal terms.

Altrincham 0 - 3 Blackburn Rovers

ATT: 6030

Goals:

(5)

(17)

(72)

A good performance against a full Blackburn side, with their second being scored by Bellamy. We could have had 2 ourselves, but naturally Blackburn had the cutting edge.

Tony Carss, released by Huddersfield signs. An experienced and influential defensive midfielder who will be important now Wells is off.

Wells agrees term with Millwall, and goes for the £60k plus 20% sell-on clause.

A bid also comes in from Rochdale for Adam Smith. I ask for £50k, 20% sell-on clause and a friendly. They accept and Smith goes to discuss personal terms.

Altrincham 0 - 4 Leicester City

ATT: 6020

Goals:

(15)

(25)

(36)

(pen 90)

Not as good a performance, but Leicester just won promotion to the Premiership, so playing their full side with good players discussing moves or just gone, we would always have struggled.

With the sale of Wells, 2 big friendlies and the £100k in Conference TV money, we are now £189k in the black as a club with no debts. This is awesome, and only likely to increase further as the season progresses.

Simon Spender of Wrexham signs on a free transfer. A right back who looks a decent player will improve my defence.

Darran Kempson of Sheffield United signs on a free. A centre back on great talent and leadership is the player I have been looking for to build my defence around.

Matthew Gill, released by Exeter signs. A defensive midfielder with potential to cover if Carss doesn't work out.

Loads of bids from a massive amount of league clubs are coming in for Adam Smith. I ensure they are all at least what I asked of Rochdale, and accept them.

Bad news though, Spender damaged his foot in his first training session and will miss the start of the season.

Fisher Athletic 1 - 3 Altrincham

ATT: 69

Goals:

Klein-Davis 23

(Pen 62)

TJ 79, 89

We dominated this one as you would expect in front of virtually noone at Fisher. It was a stark contrast to our previous games, and a good incentive not to get relegated.

Derek Duncan, released by Leyton Orient signs. A left winger with potential to cover for Smiths impending departure.

Altrincham 1 - 2 Doncaster

ATT: 6027

Goals:

(2)

Gilhaney 49

(79)

We were unlucky to lose this one, and hit the woodwork twice. That is good against a league team, and proof that the side is starting to come together. Another big crowd swells the coffers even further.

Of about 20 clubs that bid for winger Adam Smith, he agrees a deal with Cardiff City and signs for them in a deal worth an initial £50k, with a 20% sell on clause and a friendly to be arranged. A shame, as he was one I thought woudl drive us forward this season.

Altrincham 0 - 4 Cheltenham

ATT: 55

Goals:

(19)

(32)

(pen 45)

(pen 85)

The game arranged as part of the Les Afful transfer managed to attract 55 spectators, why did I bother. We were never in the game though and deserved the walloping.

End of Pre-Season

With pre-season over, we now head towards the league campaign. Brown unfortunately broke his ankle against Cheltenham and faces 3 months on the side lines. Spender started training though, but will miss the first couple of games as he get fit.

Daniel Flack is signed from Accrington on a free transfer. A right winger who will provide further cover after Smiths departure.

Kelly and Gill are both out for 2 weeks with a facial injury and flu respectively. Neither were going to start, so it's not too big a blow.

We are made 100/1 by the bookies for the title. That's 2.5 time the 40/1 we were quoted last season. I think we are a better side, but I still have reservations about the squad. Fortunately, we will kick off the league season with over £260k in the bank which will help.

In terms of the team I really wanted, I am missing a few players and have missed out on plenty. Managing a side like Alty is like doing a jugsaw where you only get a new piece on birthdays and christmases. It's frustrating. Bids are constantly hijacked at the last minute by league clubs who then never play the lad, and any slight change in the selling clubs situation leads many to reject us after we meet their contract demands. I am happier with my defence, with Kempson, Laight, Roberts, Spender and Jaszczun fighting for spots. I would have liked another top centre back and a top left back, but we'll see if I can sort that out during the season. I seem to have failed to bring a compliment to Gilhaney in though. TJ will hopefully come on and be that, but will probably need nurturing and time to achieve it. To say I am nervous about what is a make or break season for me personally is an understatement. If I can establish Alty as a mid-table club, I will have succeeded and can hopefully get a league job as a result. Anything less and the side won't have progressed and I will probably struggle. Over the summer, I was rejected for 3 jobs, from 2 league sides and 1 Conference outfit.

The League Season

Before the league season go underway, I signed Tommy Stewart from Wolves on a free. He is a striker that is a flair player, who will hopefully deflect attention from Gilhaney and bag some himself.

Altrincham 1 - 0 Forest Green Rovers

ATT: 495

Goal:

Stewart 29

We had a Forest Green onslaught early on but managed to weather the storm. After we scored, FGR seemed deflated and we controlled the game only giving up a further 2 chances very late on in the game. We created another 10 chances, but failed to make them pay. Still, getting off to a winning start is always welcome!

Tamworth 0 - 2 Altrincham

ATT: 366

Goals:

Flack 4

Stewart 71

We controlled this game from start to finish, and should have won by more. It was good to have 2 of the easier games to start off, as getting some points in the bag early makes it a lot easier. Flack's debut goal was a crisp volley on the far post from a left wing cross by Murphy. Stewart rolled in a rebound from a Gilhaney strike. Apart from that, Gilhaney, Lumsdon, Flack and TJ could have made the score more comprehensive, but I'll settle for 2-0.

Altrincham 0 - 2 Weymouth

ATT: 895

Goals:

(5)

(90)

This was a competitive game from start to finish. We largely failed to cope with the powerful Weymouth forward Chuckie Erribenne though and this proved to be the difference between the sides. His flicked header in the 5th minute gave Weymouth the lead, and he got his brace by robbing Deasy of the ball in the last minute of the game and slotting home. We created a few chances ourselves, especially in the second half, but Weymouth always looked the most dangerous side and probably deserved their win.

Stevenage 5 - 1 Altrincham

ATT: 2169

Goals:

(20)

(31)

(41)

(44)

Gilhaney 45

(75)

We looked wonderful for 15 minutes, and should have been 3-0 up but for some good keeping and some wasteful finishing. After that though, Stevenage scored with their first chance and our heads dropped totally. We were then inept until we scored on the stroke of half time. We were much better after a rollocking from me at the interval, but went down to a deserved thrashing in the end.

After the Stevenage thrashing, I sat down and talked heart-to-heart with my assistant, Dalton Steele. I was unsure about carrying on with Alty, and I thought I had taken them as far as I could. With the difficulty of signing players to a part-time team so evident, I questioned everything we had at the club.

At the end of some very heartfelt exchanges between the two of us, I resolved to carry on. What we did decide to do though was to Go back to a 4-1-3-2 formation, and abandon wingers. Since Adam Smiths departure, we don't seem to have the same penetration out wide. I also failed in about a dozen bids for a target man to accompany the pacey Gilhaney up-front, so wingers are going to be less effective. We decided on a few subtle differences though on the formation we had used when I first came to Altrincham though, as that had ultimately proved unsuccessful.

Altrincham 2 - 0 Crawley

ATT: 529

Goals:

OG 59

Murphy 81

This was a tight affair with early pace setters Crawley. The own goal was from a left wing cross and I thought Stewart had actually headed it in. It turned out to be the defender under immense pressure. Murphys goal, his first ever for Alty in a competitive match, was a beauty from the edge of the area that fizzed in. We did deserve the win, as we looked more dangerous going forward than Crawley, but overall it was a close game.

Northwich 1 - 2 Altrincham

ATT: 444

Goals:

Murphy 1

Griffiths 30

(79)

Again a close encounter, but we were more dominant. This is starting to look very good for us, compact and tight in defence, and expressive going forward. Gilhaney is injured currently but different people are now weighing in with goals, such as 2 in 2 from Murphy.

These two wins have restored my faith slightly in what I am building at Alty. I still want to move on, I still want to progress, and it's still very difficult to attract players, but I am more positive about sticking it out until the right offer eventually comes along.

Cambridge United 1-2 Altrincham

ATT: 1954

Goals:

Gilhaney 77

Klein-Davis 82

(90)

This was so close, and whilst it was marginal, Cambridge were the better side. However, we defended excellently throughout and were creating chances. We were definitely more clinical in front of goal, and both finishes were tidy and well placed. Conceding a late goal left us with a nervous couple of minutes, but we held on. We maybe got away with one here, but who cares, I like winning games!

Altrincham 1-0 Torquay United

ATT: 2538

Goal:

Gilhaney 26

Another one where probably the better team on the day didn't win. In front of by far the largest home league gate of the season so far, we got away with another sneaky win. Gilhaney was again the best player on the pitch though, and he continues to prove he is one of the best strikers at non-league level. Quite how I have managed to keep hold of him I do not know.

Altrincham 1-1 Accrington Stanley

ATT: 2259

Goals:

(27)

TJ 77

This is one of the closest and tightest games I have ever been involved in. Both sides attacked wonderfully, but defended better. Despite the fact that on paper it looked like a dour one-all, this was a game full of skill and endeavor, and a credit to non-league football. This game deserved to be a draw, as neither side deserved to lose it, so I was delighted when TJ popped up with our equaliser.

Dagenham & Redbridge 1-2 Altrincham

ATT: 740

Goals:

Klein-Davis 17

Laight pen 42

Spender OFF 71

(81)

This was a game separated very much into two parts, pre and post sending off. We totally dominated proceedings up until Spender committed his professional foul and was deservedly sent off. We should actually have put the game to bed much earlier and gone on to get a few more, but as is always our way we didn't. A very nervous last 20 minutes during which time we conceded one, but managed to hold out for what was a narrow win that could have been so much more.

The table having completed 10 games looks very rosy for Altrincham, as is as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Crawley | | 10 | 7 | 2 | 1 | 18 | 8 | +10 | 23 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Grays | | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 20 | 15 | +5 | 22 |

| 3rd | | Altrincham | | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 22 |

| 4th | | Woking | | 10 | 6 | 3 | 1 | 20 | 8 | +12 | 21 |

| 5th | | Aldershot | | 10 | 6 | 3 | 1 | 12 | 4 | +8 | 21 |

| 6th | | Weymouth | | 10 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 15 | 6 | +9 | 19 |

| 7th | | Stevenage | | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 12 | +1 | 17 |

| 8th | | Southend | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 7 | +2 | 16 |

| 9th | | Kidderminster | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 16 | 12 | +4 | 15 |

| 10th | | Morecambe | | 10 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 14 | 16 | -2 | 15 |

| 11th | | York | | 10 | 3 | 5 | 2 | 15 | 12 | +3 | 14 |

| 12th | | Scarborough | | 10 | 3 | 5 | 2 | 16 | 16 | 0 | 14 |

| 13th | | Rushden | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 16 | 14 | +2 | 13 |

| 14th | | Kettering | | 10 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 15 | 13 | +2 | 13 |

| 15th | | Gravesend | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 11 | 11 | 0 | 12 |

| 16th | | Dag & Red | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 12 | 14 | -2 | 12 |

| 17th | | Cambridge | | 10 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 12 | 13 | -1 | 10 |

| 18th | | Torquay | | 10 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 11 | 16 | -5 | 10 |

| 19th | | Hinckley | | 10 | 3 | 0 | 7 | 8 | 10 | -2 | 9 |

| 20th | | Forest Green | | 10 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 10 | 15 | -5 | 8 |

| 21st | | Tamworth | | 10 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 8 | 16 | -8 | 8 |

| 22nd | | Accrington | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 16 | 21 | -5 | 7 |

| 23rd | | Northwich | | 10 | 1 | 1 | 8 | 5 | 18 | -13 | 4 |

| 24th | | Lewes | | 10 | 1 | 0 | 9 | 3 | 21 | -18 | 3 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Third place and only a point off top was not where I expected to be, but I fully intend to make hay while the sun shines and the longer we can keep picking up wins and points, and stay in and around the promotion and playoff places the better our season will become.

Altrincham 1-1 Kettering Town

ATT: 2573

Goals:

(18)

(OFF 76)

Stewart 90

Our biggest attendance of the season so far against old adversaries Kettering saw us dominate the game. We seem to have a mental block when it comes to this lot, and struggle to score against them always, irrespective of the number of chances we create. This game looked to be heading the same way, as we dominated again, but fell behind in the first half. Continued domination paid off when a professional foul from a kettering defender reduced them to 10 men. Despite a total battering, Kettering held out until injury time when we finally forced a goal.

It was a point, but we should have won by a country mile. What is it about Kettering that makes us unable to beat them?

Rushden & Diamonds 1-0 Altrincham

ATT: 2539

Goal:

(9)

Mark Gilhaney going off injured in the second minute didn't help us one bit. Our best player and somewhat of a talisman. His loss will be greatly felt by us for the few weeks or so he is unavailable for.

In this game, we managed to be extremely tight, and defended well. Rushdens early goal settled the game, but it should have been a draw as both sides were so evenly matched. A game of very few chances, but it was very pleasing to see us competing so closely with a club like Rushden. Despite the loss, I was upbeat on the game.

******* Transfer News ********

Just before the transfer window closed, I managed to sign American midfielder Jay Denny on a free from Shrewsbury. He is a quality player, and another piece in my jigsaw that is taking so much time to complete due to the clubs status and stature.

Altrincham 0-2 York City

ATT: 1882

Goals:

(26)

(67)

A goal in each half was what York deserved as we looked lacklustre for the first time in a long while. Perhaps the Rushden defeat took some of the heart we had built up over the season out of us, but we were never really in the game. Gilhaney being absent too didn't help, and we looked toothless up front. Plenty to think about though.

Good news though, Gilhaney made a much more rapid recovery from injury than expected, and could figure in teh following game. This is a real boost for me, and such a welcome piece of news.

Woking 2-1 Altrincham

ATT: 2969

Goals:

(9)

TJ Injured 45

(52)

Denny 72

A more positive game, but one we lost as well. Gilhaney didn't quite make the game, but we looked much better. TJ getting injured did not help one bit, but it was good for Denny to get off the mark with a stunning free kick. We could have got an equaliser though, as we piled on a great deal of pressure in the second half. Woking were the better side in the first half, but we were in the second. A draw would have been a fair result. Despite this, our 3rd loss in succession was the result, and one that is not at all welcome.

Kidderminster 2-4 Altrincham

ATT: 2625

Goals:

(21)

Stewart 26

Gilhaney 50

(56)

TJ 78

Gilhaney 86

Fortunately, TJ's injury wasn't serious at all, and he could be a sub here. Gilhaney was also back, and back to form too. THe game was so open, as games between us and Kiddie have been, but I was delighted that we showed the cutting edge in the last 15 minutes that we had lacked in the last few games. We looked dangerous going forward, as did Kiddie, but we both looked vulnerable to conceding. Fortunately, we had the clinical edge and won the game, but it could have gone either way.

With 15 games now gone, the table was as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| 1st | | Crawley | | 15 | 10 | 3 | 2 | 26 | 12 | +14 | 33 |

| 2nd | | Aldershot | | 15 | 9 | 5 | 1 | 21 | 7 | +14 | 32 |

| 3rd | | Weymouth | | 15 | 9 | 4 | 2 | 26 | 13 | +13 | 31 |

| 4th | | Woking | | 15 | 9 | 3 | 3 | 27 | 17 | +10 | 30 |

| 5th | | Altrincham | | 15 | 8 | 2 | 5 | 20 | 19 | +1 | 26 |

| 6th | | Grays | | 14 | 8 | 1 | 5 | 24 | 21 | +3 | 25 |

| 7th | | Stevenage | | 15 | 7 | 4 | 4 | 16 | 15 | +1 | 25 |

| 8th | | Kidderminster | | 15 | 6 | 4 | 5 | 26 | 24 | +2 | 22 |

| 9th | | Gravesend | | 15 | 5 | 6 | 4 | 20 | 15 | +5 | 21 |

| 10th | | Morecambe | | 15 | 6 | 3 | 6 | 22 | 23 | -1 | 21 |

| 11th | | York | | 15 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 23 | 18 | +5 | 20 |

| 12th | | Kettering | | 15 | 6 | 2 | 7 | 20 | 18 | +2 | 20 |

| 13th | | Southend | | 15 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 13 | 17 | -4 | 20 |

| 14th | | Rushden | | 15 | 4 | 7 | 4 | 21 | 19 | +2 | 19 |

| 15th | | Cambridge | | 15 | 4 | 7 | 4 | 21 | 20 | +1 | 19 |

| 16th | | Torquay | | 15 | 4 | 6 | 5 | 20 | 21 | -1 | 18 |

| 17th | | Scarborough | | 15 | 4 | 6 | 5 | 19 | 22 | -3 | 18 |

| 18th | | Dag & Red | | 15 | 5 | 3 | 7 | 18 | 22 | -4 | 18 |

| 19th | | Tamworth | | 15 | 5 | 3 | 7 | 14 | 21 | -7 | 18 |

| 20th | | Forest Green | | 15 | 4 | 3 | 8 | 17 | 20 | -3 | 15 |

| 21st | | Accrington | | 14 | 3 | 4 | 7 | 21 | 28 | -7 | 13 |

| 22nd | | Northwich | | 15 | 3 | 2 | 10 | 13 | 25 | -12 | 11 |

| 23rd | | Hinckley | | 15 | 3 | 1 | 11 | 11 | 20 | -9 | 10 |

| 24th | | Lewes | | 15 | 2 | 1 | 12 | 7 | 29 | -22 | 7 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Despite keeping in the playoff places, the biggest joy for me was seeing that we were 13 points above the relegation zone already. My target for this season is 60 points, having managed 51 last season and been nearly relegated. 60 points should see us a bit higher up the table, and consolidated as Conference National competitors.

****** Authors Note ******

Unfortunately there will be no more tables until much later on in the season. At the time I was playing this part of the season, there was so much going on in my life that I neglected the story and forgot about getting the tables off as I was going. This was when I didn't post for a while, but we're back now, and looking good. I will try to keep positions etc. updated, as I have the graph of positions printed after x games instead of tables

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

Basingstoke 0-3 Altrincham

ATT: 1640

Goals:

Klein-Davis 12

Murphy 18

Denny 90

A much changed line-up faced Basingstoke, and I gave chances to many fringe players here. The result was never in doubt though really, and being 2 up in 20 minutes effectively killed the game off. It was an impressive performance, and one that a few of the lads involved may use as a springboard to play a bit more regularly.

Altrincham 3-1 Aldershot

ATT: 2069

Goals:

Stewart 9, 37

(71)

Gilhaney 76

Another positive result and performance against a big side in the division. We controlled the first half entirely, and thoroughly deserved to be 2-0 up at the break courtesy of 2 accomplished strikes by Tommy Stewart. Aldershot cam back at us a bit after the interval, but we were still largely in control of the game. The thing I was most pleased with though was the reaction to conceding, in that we came straight back at them and scored again ourselves, rather than going backwards trying to protect our advantage. Our third killed the game, and we were very satisfied with the result.

FA Cup Round 1

Altrincham 4-0 Eastbourne Boro

ATT: 1001

Goals:

Gilhaney 29

TJ 69, 77

Carss pen 90

A trickier tie than the Basingstoke qualifier, but nevertheless, I still shuffled it around a bit and gave some of the fringe lads a run. It was more of a mix though between some of my first choices and the fringe lads, but we were again in control. My only disappointment here really was that we didn't finish the game off earlier. That aside, Eastbourne were never likely to get back into it, and our class eventually told. Roll on round 2, and hopefully then a massive tie against one of the big boys.

Hinckley 1-0 Altrincham

ATT: 226

Goal:

(45)

Well, after some really good performances comes a stinker. We were in it all the way through, but just couldn't put the pigs bladder in the onion bag. With only 226 people watching, I guess that could explain such a flat performance from both sides, but you would really have hoped for more. We missed about a dozen opportunities, and Hinckley had less than half that, but it's goals that count and this is my most disappointing result in the Conference national I think.

Altrincham 0-0 Gravesend & Northfleet

ATT: 2075

A very close game, that should have been more one sided in our favour. We still looked lacklustre here after the Hinckley disappointment, but at least we didn't concede. Gravesend are also somewhat of a bogey side to us, as we rarely seem to play well against them. It was tight and tense though, but ultimately not a spectacle for a neutral. Still, a point is a point, and we move on to 30 points for the season.

Grays Athletic 0-2 Altrincham

ATT: 2323

Goals:

Gilhaney 42, 58

(OFF 70)

This game, like the Kidderminster game, was end to end stuff. We always looked like conceding, but were dangerous going forward. Grays are known as a very attacking side, but fortunately we managed to keep them at bay and Gilhaney scored two wonderful goals that had me leaping off the bench in delight. The red card for Grays didn't seem to make a difference to the game, as they were already piling players forward to try to rescue the match. Fortunately they couldn't, and we won. The score could have been anything really from a big Grays victory right through to a big Alty victory, but we were very satisfied that it fell our way.

Altrincham 1-1 Southend United

ATT: 2253

Goals:

(25)

Gilhaney 47

This game against a big club including players like talismanic forward Freddy Eastwood should have been a home win. But, if you had offered me a draw against a side like this before the season started I would have accepted. Because of our relative league positions however, a draw was disappointing. It was very much a case again of not being able to finish off some excellent work, and we should have had 3 or 4. Most disappointing though was the knock Gilhaney took after scoring. He could have carried on but we took himn off as a precaution. This proved wise as he will now be out for quite a while with a knee injury. Damnit.

So, 20 games gone and we were in 4th place on 34 points. We had got 8 points from our last 5 games, not a bad haul but not what we should have got. We should be nearer 40 points now if we had only managed to score a few more goals. The worrying thing is that the chasing teams are starting to get their form together and are closing. We need to keep picking up results if we are to stay ahead, but this will be made all the more difficult without Mark Gilhaney for the next while.

Archived