Lunchtime Legends Presents: The Return of Cartagena

Dixie Flatline

11th of January 2007

Javier Araújo rejects my last-gasp offer and joins Villarreal for £2.5 million. Surprisingly, the Villarreal fans react negatively to the acquisition, with the fans association publicly speculating that his arrival will disrupt harmony amongst the squad. Personally, I’m disappointed to see him leave, but not surprised, as we couldn’t match either the financial package presented by Villarreal to the Colombian or the possibility of playing in La Liga: Javier Araújo (22 y/o, COL 17 caps, 2 goals, AM RLC): 36(1) apps, 11 goals, 15 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.70

His departure allows me to include Oswaldo Chaurant in the registered playing squad for the first time since his arrival last season from Numancia.

14th of January 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 22: Salamanca v Cartagena

I’m greatly disappointed this afternoon with our first match post Araújo as we drop all three points to a team that wanted the win more. Landry Bonnefoi’s crucial error on 78 minutes condemned us to our fourth loss of the campaign, when he accidentally fumbled the ball, which had pinged off the post thanks to a ricochet off a Cartagena defender, over the line for the winning goal. Earlier, Raúl Sánchez notched up his 100th league goal with a wonderful run and finish, exploiting our lack of pace down the flanks and cutting inside Cristian Green without a care in the world, to score on 42 minutes. Sívori pegged the goal back on 62 minutes, thanks to a lovely pass from Conget, a neat shimmy past a Salamanca defender before rounding the keeper to score. But Bonnefoi’s error was crucial, even though he had previously pulled off a great save to keep the score deadlocked at 1-1 apiece. I’m not going to be too hard on the lad, as he is still learning the caper, but we can’t afford errors that cost points like that, with promotion still a wide open race at the half-way point in the season.

Losing Matteini to injury during the week, having Adu unavailable due to international commitments and Míchel not yet fit enough to resume playing probably didn’t help, but against a relegation-threatened side, we should have done better.

Salamanca (4-1-2-1-2): Sergio Aragoneses; Aurelio, Alexis, Curro Montoya (Jeffrey 62), Javi; Pablo García; David Cano, Rogério; Sestelo; Raúl Sánchez © (Busto 73), González (Deus 62).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Javi Paredes (Ferrón 45), Corino, Mullins, Green; Svärd; Chaurant (De Pedro 71), Stevanovic, Conget ©; Sívori, Vucko (Ongala 71).

Final score: Salamanca 2:1 Cartagena

MoM – Dalibor Stevanovic

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15th of January 2007

Sebastian Svärd is named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

19th of January 2007

I reject an offer from Las Palmas for Sipho Nunens, valuing him at just £170,000.

I’m offered £1.5 million by Atlético Madrid for Sebastian Svärd. I respond by asking that we receive 10% of any sale, £250,000 after six months, £750,000 if he plays ten league games and £500,000 if he plays an international game for Denmark.

20th of January 2007

As Alain notches up his twentieth league game for Recreativo, we receive £250,000.

My attempt to sign Australian international defensive utility Patrick Kisnorbo from Leicester has foundered on my inability to offer terms agreeable to the player.

21st of January 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 23: Numancia v Cartagena

Javi Paredes fails a late fitness test and I omit him in favour of Jordi Ferrón, and swapping Cristian Green to the left. Davide Matteini is also unavailable for selection, as he is still recuperating from his leg injury. Míchel, however, is good to go and comes in at the expense of Oswaldo Chaurant, who stays on the place. De Pedro is dropped.

On 11 minutes, Vucko is the recipient of a beautiful pass from Míchel, but the Croat still has plenty to do as he goes past two defenders before sliding the ball home past the Numancia keeper at his near post. A nicely taken goal, that, and my spirits are boosted. However, Numancia equalizes shortly before half-time when Miguel leaves Mullins for dead, latches on to Pignol’s free kick and blasts it home past Bonnefoi. icon_mad.gif For most of the second half, Numancia lays siege to Bonnefoi’s goal, but the young French keeper stands up to the punishment remarkably well, electing to fist the ball to safety on many occasions as Numancia rains crosses down on our penalty box and saving well whenever Numancia has a shot on target. Then on 86 minutes, substitute Chaurant fires home the winning goal, accepting Conget’s pass and delivering the ball into the far corner. icon_smile.gif

Numancia (4-4-2): Ãlvaro Núñez; Tchato, Labaka, Biliskov ©, Pignol (Moreno 71); Reina, Palacios (Otxoa 71), Carlos Merino, Raúl Martín (Miguel Ãngel Núñez 61); Miguel, Fernandez.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic (Chaurant 75), Conget ©; Sívori, Vucko (Samba 75).

Final score: Numancia 1:2 Cartagena

MoM – Landry Bonnefoi

The Board is pleased with the hard-fought victory, as am I, as it gets our season underway for the second half.

Atlético Madrid withdraws its offer for Svärd.

I reject an offer from Levante of £210,000 for Riccardo Cazzola. The Italian is beginning to mature as a player and I’m not prepared to let him go at this stage.

22nd of January 2007

Sebastian Svärd, Cristian Green, Sergio Corino and Míchel are all selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

Freddy Adu came off the bench to score the USA’s third goal in their 3-0 win over El Salvador in the North American Gold Cup.

23rd of January 2007

I reject an offer from Rayo Vallecano of just £325,000 for Eduardo Conget. I’m not prepared to sell the club’s captain for that amount of money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ricardo Sousa to join Cartagena on Bosman free transfer

Portuguese attacking midfielder Ricardo Sousa today agreed to join Segunda Liga promotion hopeful Cartagena on a Bosman free transfer in the summer. The 28 year old Hannover 96 midfielder has been unhappy in Germany and welcomed the opportunity to move clubs in the summer.

Señor Flatline said that he believed Sousa was a classy ball-playing midfielder who had the vision and ability to unlock even the tightest of defences and he hoped that Sousa would be a valuable asset to Cartagena next season.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

24th of January 2007

Freddy Adu plays the first 34 minutes of the USA’s game against Saint Martin, before being substituted as a precaution after he picked up a knock.

28th of January 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 24: Cartagena v Real Madrid B

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Cartagena smashes 8 past Real Madrid B in a powerful display of attacking football

Cartagena piled on the goals in front of a small, but delighted home crowd, as they consolidated their grip upon a promotion place in the second half of the season.

Braces from Sívori and Svärd were accompanied by goals from Conget, Matteini, Stevanovic and Vucko as Cartagena ran rings around their opponents. Míchel was instrumental in the dismantling of Real Madrid B, as he played the part of supplier for many of Cartagena’s forward thrusts, and was personally responsible for creating two of the eight goals scored. The only thing lacking was a goal for the former Murcia midfielder, who tantalized the crowd with vision and creativity. In the end, Cartagena racked up 26 shots at Real Madrid B’s goal, to none, in a totally lopsided encounter.

The avalanche began on 3 minutes when Matteini’s flick-on was put into the path of Sívori by Stevanovic and from the edge of the box, the Spanish forward bent a delightful shot into the top corner. On 13 minutes, a wonderful ball by right back Jordi Ferrón put Sívori in the clear, but he needed two bites at the cherry to convert the chance. On 32 minutes, Sívori teed up Svärd and the Danish midfielder scored a long-range effort, with the assistance of a slight deflection off a Real Madrid B defender. Three minutes later, Real Madrid B unaccountably left Conget unmarked on the edge of the box at a corner, and the Cartagena captain gleefully struck his side’s fourth goal of the game. The Real Madrid B defence then completely lost Svärd and he was picked out by a wonderful Míchel pass. The Dane had no problems heading home his second goal from six yards.

Cartagena’s five goal cushion at half-time extended to six when on 58 minutes, Stevanovic drew defenders to him like honey draws bees, before laying off for Matteini to hit a curving powerful drive into the keeper’s top left corner. With Real Madrid B solely concentrating on limiting the damage, Cartagena added a seventh goal on 76 minutes when Cherno Samba, on as a substitute for Conget, picked out the onrushing Stevanovic, who calmly headed home to claim his goal. Cartagena’s eighth and final goal came on 84 minutes when Chaurant crossed from the left for Vucko to climb above his marker and head coolly home. Cartagena continued to pepper the Real Madrid B goal, but could not add to the already impressive score-line.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that was a fantastic game! icon_wink.gif By the end of it, it really was just a training drill as we completely outplayed our opponent. To be fair to Real Madrid B, departures means that the squad is considerably depleted from the same side that comprehensively thrashed us last year, but we can only play the eleven players out on the pitch, so it was a great, morale-boosting win, not to mention easy on the goal difference column!

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Samba 74), Stevanovic, Conget © (Chaurant 45); Sívori, Matteini (Vucko 74).

Real Madrid B (4-4-2): Cruz; José (Mario 45), Costa, Rubén (s/o 90), Rojas ©; Ortega, Ordóñez (Francis 59), Alè, Juanfran; Riki, Manu (Serrano 59).

Cartagena 8:0 Real Madrid B

MoM – Míchel

29th of January 2007

Six players are named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week, namely Sebastian Svärd, Sergio Corino, Jordi Ferrón, Míchel, Dalibor Stevanovic and Sívori.

31st of January 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 25: Cartagena v Real Unión

This match is a little underwhelming after our 8-0 demolish of Real Madrid B last weekend. We win the game, thanks to Sergio Corino’s second goal of the season, scored on 9 minutes, when Míchel’s free kick is only partially cleared and lands at the feet of the defender. The shot seems to take a slight deflection on the way into the back of the net, but that’s not going to stop the defender claming a rare goal! icon14.gif To be truthful, we should have closed this game much, much more quickly than we did, but we seem to leave our shooting boots back in the sheds, and in the end we have to settle for the 1-0 victory. Perhaps a better side than relegation-threatened Real Unión would have troubled us more with our profligacy in front of goal, but a win is a win, and I’m grateful for it.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Chaurant 45), Stevanovic, Conget © (Samba 68); Sívori, Matteini (Vucko 89).

Real Unión (4-4-2): Otermín; Alberto (Cordón 61), Larrainzar, Antía, Goikoetxea (Joseba 66); David Zarzudo, Iturralde, Andrés (Garmendia 61), Badiola ©; Sukia, Gorka.

Final score: Cartagena 1:0 Real Unión

MoM – Xabier Otermín

3rd of February 2008

Alexandr Mostovoy decides to retire from playing football. He will now concentrate solely upon coaching. His contract with the club is up for renewal this summer, but I’ve decided, after working with him so far this season, that he is not up to the standard I want in my coaches, and he will be allowed to pursue other ventures.

Segunda Liga – Game 26: Xerez v Cartagena

Cartagena remains on track for promotion after defeating Xerez 2-0

Cartagena showed again that they remain the team to beat in the race for promotion this season after a comfortable 2-0 win over fellow promotion hopeful Xerez, in Jerez. Goals on 5 minutes and 87 minutes to Stevanovic and Samba (his first for Cartagena) sealed the win for the league leader. The only sour note to Cartagena’s win was an injury suffered by striker Davide Matteini on 11 minutes. The club later confirmed that the Italian will miss up to a month of football with strained knee ligaments.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’m very happy with our performance today. Coming off a mid-week game with only two full days recovery time is no easy feat, and I toyed with the idea of changing the eleven. But a settled eleven, even when slightly down on fitness, is a better prospect, in my opinion, for getting all three points. Even though we lost Matteini early to injury, the quick-fire start, thanks to Stevanovic’s cleverly placed shot, was enough to settle our nerves and to essentially control the game. Cherno Samba earned his goal through his willingness to run, and he showed that with some good coaching and a patient approach to his game, he could be a handful for defenders in a few seasons. All in all, a satisfying run-out on live television.

Xerez (4-4-2): Jáuregi; Bertin, Franz, Aira (s/o 90), Sergio Ramos; Slovak, Dani Pendín ©, Quiñónez (Rios 61), Pablo Ãlvarez (Epitié 61); Lekic (Camuñas 45), Diego Torres.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino (Gaardsøe 81), Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic, Conget ©; Sívori (Samba 81), Matteini (Vucko 11).

Final score: Xerez 0:2 Cartagena

MoM – Míchel

5th of February 2007

Alexandr Mostovoy now seems to be a much better coach after hanging up the boots, so I quickly conclude a contract extension with the former Russian international midfielder.

Míchel is named, again, the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

Chema scores a very quick goal in Spain U-19’s win over Russia U-19s in Santander this evening.

7th of February 2007

We have several players involved in internationals this evening. Oswaldo Chaurant scored a brace for Venezuela in its 4-0 win over Anguilla. He also took out man of the match honours. Freddy Adu played on the right of midfield for the USA as they comfortably defeated Barbados 3-0. Adu set up a goal. Out of favour Kaviedes played 51 minutes for Ecuador in its 3-0 win over the US Virgin Islands. Dalibor Stevanovic was a 66th minute substitute for Slovenia in its 2-2 draw with Ireland. He wasn’t particularly effective. Sipho Nunens was a 61st minute substitute for South Africa in its 2-0 loss away to the Netherlands. He didn’t touch the ball overly often but tried hard.

Signing off, for the moment... icon_wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Dedicated to my daughter

10th of February 2007

A day after my birthday, Elche’s manager Señor Chus Pereda, obviously feeling the pressure of his team’s poor performance this season (they’re threatened by relegation), tries to sink the boot in, saying he hopes that my club doesn’t go up this season and he wants to dent our promotion chances.

I’m feeling magnanimous today and respond by saying that while others might think he isn’t any good, I believe Señor Pereda is the right man for the job. icon_wink.gif

11th of February 2007

Hearing my comments about him, Señor Pereda changes his tune and tells La Marça that I’m doing a very good job at Cartagena. That’s dandy.

Segunda Liga – Game 27: Cartagena v Elche

Ten men Cartagena triumph over relegation-threatened Elche

Despite having its captain, Eduardo Conget, sent off for two yellow cards early in the second half, Cartagena held firm to record a 2-0 win over relegation battler Elche to increase the pressure on manager Señor Pereda. Cartagena’s twentieth league victory of the campaign was secured by goals (on 61 minutes) to Sívori and in injury time at the end of the game to Oswaldo Chaurant. Sívori was the beneficiary of good work down the right channel by Jordi Ferrón and Jurica Vucko, rounding the keeper and scoring neatly. Thirty seconds into injury time, Míchel sent a wonderful ball across the back four of Elche to find the onrushing Chaurant, and the Venezuelan international had no problems finding the back of the net with a tidy shot at the near post.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn’t perform all that well today, to be honest and I’m sure my counterpart feels a little aggrieved that he didn’t come away with at least a point. However, when we went a man down in the second half, that seemed to spur us on a little, and helped us find the route to goal that we lacked in the first half. Míchel is such a clever player and represents the best £250,000 I’ve spent so far at this club. Without him, we may be successfully avoiding relegation, but he creates so many opportunities that the forwards just can’t help scoring. He’s a great player. icon14.gif

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Míchel, Stevanovic, Conget © (s/o 52); Sívori, Vucko (Chaurant 83)

Elche (4-4-2): Unanua; Ayoze, Pepe Saavedra, Turiel, Lizarazo ©; Rubén (Gil 61), Ibán Espadas (Txiki 45), Esteban, Elías (Jesús 61); Cadu, Nino.

Final score: Cartagena 2:0 Elche

MoM – Sergio Corino

After the game, I call Conget into my office and ask for an explanation as to why he was sent off. He blames the referee, saying that his approach to the game was overly strict. I find the explanation plausible but in the end, unsatisfactory, and tell him that he can consider himself officially warned. Conget does not take too kindly to being officially warned, telling me that he thinks I’m being harsh about this affair.

12th of February 2007

Sergio Corino and Míchel are named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

14th of February 2007

Vicente leaks to the press details of a meeting he requested with me earlier today, in which he pleaded his case to be included in the first eleven. I’d like nothing more than to put the experienced midfielder in the side, but Svärd has been doing a sterling job since I put the Dane into the eleven, and I’m going to find it difficult to leave him out in favour of Vicente, at this stage.

18th of February 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 28: Mallorca B v Cartagena

Six-goal haul as Cartagena thrashes Mallorca B

Cartagena almost matched the dizzying heights of their 8-0 over Real Madrid B earlier this season, by smashing Mallorca B 6-0 in Majorca.

Oswaldo Chaurant, in for suspended skipper Eduardo Conget, got things going on 12 minutes when he raced in to head home Sívori’s cross. Cartagena earned a penalty on 17 minutes, which Sergio Corino had no problem in converting. On 26 minutes, Stevanovic extended Cartagena’s lead to 3-0 with a rasping drive from Chaurant’s cross and Cartagena looked unstoppable.

Cartagena’s buffer was extended just seconds into the second half when Míchel and Stevanovic combined to tee up Vucko, who slotted the ball nicely at the near post. On 56 minutes, Vucko doubled his own tally and took Cartagena to a 5-0 lead when he easily beat the Mallorca keeper, who failed to hold on to the Croat’s initial strike, allowing Vucko to tap in to an empty net. Stevanovic then completed the rout on 81 minutes, scoring his second goal of the game when he accepted Vucko’s pass at the edge of the box, skipped past a defender and buried the ball in the back of the net.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another excellent performance by my boys and the big victory does no harm (of course) to our already healthy goal difference column. Stevanovic and Vucko, in particular, were excellent, and Míchel was not really required. Everybody pitched in, though, and it was a good all-round effort.

Mallorca B (4-4-2): Javi; Padilla, Valdés (Giménez 71), Martín, Dani González; Carmona, Ãlvarez, Fran (Edu 45), Llorente (Miguel 47); David Eto’o, Busi ©.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (De Pedro 73), Stevanovic, Chaurant (Samba 73); Sívori (Ongala 73), Vucko.

Final score: Mallorca B 0:6 Cartagena

MoM – Jurica Vucko

19th of February 2007

Sergio Corino, Míchel, Dalibor Stevanovic and Jurica Vucko are all named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

Getafe striker, Míchel, agrees to join Cartagena

Getafe striker, Míchel, rejected Getafe’s offer of a new contract in favour of joining promotion favourite, Cartagena, on a Bosman free transfer on 1st of August 2007. The 29 year old powerful striker saw Cartagena as a better bet than his current club, which in the last couple of seasons has left the striker out in the cold.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

21st of February 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 29: Cartagena v Sporting Gijón

We continued our latest winning streak in fine style, despite making several changes to the first eleven to rest some players and to get some match fitness into others. I leave out Cristian Green, Jordi Ferrón, Sebastian Svärd and Oswaldo Chaurant, bringing Javi Paredes, Riccardo Cazzola, Vicente and Eduardo Conget into the eleven.

However, we didn’t skip a beat, as Jurica Vucko continued his fine run of form of late, bending a wonderful free kick around the Sporting wall and into the back of the net after just 2 minutes of play. Sívori then doubled our lead shortly into the second half when the Sporting defence made an error trying to generate some forward momentum, allowing Sívori to pick off a pass and drive straight towards goal. icon14.gif Sporting’s misery was completed on 83 minutes when the referee decided to pluck out a penalty and Sergio Corino easily converted.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Javi Paredes, Corino, Mullins, Cazzola; Vicente; Míchel, Stevanovic (Chaurant 79), Conget ©; Sívori (Samba 79), Vucko.

Sporting Gijón (3-5-2): Roberto; Vázquez, Supusepa, Spada; Dorado, Schirra (Markic 33), Samuel, Dani Borreguero (Pérez 61), Diego Alegre ©; Calandria, Lombardo (Ismael 61).

Final score: Cartagena 3:0 Sporting Gijón

MoM – Sívori

22nd of February 2007

Vicente is ruled out of contention for a place in the eleven for a fortnight with a groin strain, suffered in training.

24th of February 2007

The manager of my forthcoming opponent Ejido, Señor Pepe Mel, expresses his doubts to Gazzetto della Sport about the promotion credentials of my team. Asked for a response, I decide to play the friendship card, speaking of my great friendship with my colleague, and hoping that Ejido will do well this season. Let’s see if the reverse psychological ploy works tomorrow.

25th of February 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 30: Ejido v Cartagena

We continued our fantastic sequence of not conceding a goal in league football for more than 630 minutes as we kept a clean sheet against Ejido and scored two goals of our own. With Vicente out injured, Svärd came back into the side, while Javi Paredes was rested in favour of Cristian Green, and Riccardo Cazzola made way for Jordi Ferrón.

The first goal came on 9 minutes when Ferrón picked off Ejido keeper Oliva’s clearance, headed it to Conget, who found Vucko inside. The Croat passed the ball for Stevanovic to try his luck. Oliva managed to palm the shot away, but it fell nicely for Sívori to crash home, despite close attention being paid to my forward by Urbano, an Ejido defender.

From then on, we seemed to enjoy the better passages of play, but Oliva was playing an inspired game of football in goal and always seemed to have his angles just right. As the game wore on without us consolidating our lead, Ejido picked up on the confidence its keeper was displaying and the forwards came more into the play. Bonnefoi had to make some nice saves to preserve our lead, but on 86 minutes, we could breathe a little easier, as the referee plucked out a penalty for a foul on Vucko. Sergio Corino, our designated penalty taker in the absence of Matteini, calmly converted past Oliva, and we had the second goal to make the game safe.

Ejido (4-4-2): Oliva; Sergio, Pedro, Iglesias (Jesule 72), Urbano; Sendoa (Limones 72), Font (Manolo 45), Harbuzi, Sierra ©; Toedtli, Aranda.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic (Chaurant 77), Conget © (Samba 77); Sívori, Vucko.

Final score: Ejido 0:2 Cartagena

MoM – Jordi Ferrón

After the game, I reserve some special praise for the recent performances of Míchel, whom I sincerely believe is responsible for our great season to date.

26th of February 2007

Jordi Ferrón, Sebastian Svärd and Sívori are all selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

My comments praising Míchel are echoed by the fans on the various internet forums maintained by the fans.

4th of March 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 31: Cartagena v Ourense

Cartagena concedes first goal in 717 minutes of football, but still wins

Cartagena conceded its first goal in 8 league games this evening, as Ourense’s Tevenet scored on 87 minutes. However, it was no more than a consolation for the visitors, who lost the match 2-1, thanks to goals from Míchel and Sívori. After a subdued and scoreless first half, Cartagena came out looking to put their stamp on the match, and they did so on 63 minutes, when Sívori teed up Míchel who blasted the ball past Basauri at his near post for just his second goal of the season. On 76 minutes, Sívori headed Stevanovic’s cross past Basauri to put the game beyond Ourense’s reach. Luis Tevenet grabbed a nice goal on 87 minutes, taking advantage of a lapse in concentration by the Cartagena defence, but it was too little, too late for the visitors.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was nice to see Míchel score a goal. He’s done so much in setting up other people to score goals this season, but has not really had a good time in front of goals himself. This goal, however, was nicely taken and I hope isn’t the last time we see his name on the scoresheet. Sívori’s goal was a good headed goal, timing his leap to beat the onrushing Ourense keeper to Stevanovic’s pass, who has been a great acquisition for us so far this season. It was disappointing to concede the late goal, as that put us under needless pressure to keep things tight at the back, but I’ve grown tired of paying Bonnefoi clean sheet bonuses every week, so that makes for a silver lining! icon_wink.gif

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic, Conget ©; Sívori, Vucko (Samba 65).

Ourense (4-4-2): Basauri; Bermudo, Pablo, Ormazábal, Javi; Aitor, Edgar (Vladimir 64), Redondo ©, Adrián (Roberto 64); Tevenet, Durán (Martínez 49).

Final score: Cartagena 2:1 Ourense

MoM – Míchel

The game sets a couple of milestones for the club. First, it’s nine wins in a row, which betters our previous best record of eight wins in a row. icon_wink.gif Secondly, Míchel has been named a record nine times as man of the match.

5th of March 2007

Despite being named man of the match in our most recent win, Míchel is surprisingly not selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week. In fact, only Sebastian Svärd is so honoured.

11th of March 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 32: Albacete v Cartagena

Cartagena seemingly unstoppable march towards promotion continues

The burning question on everybody’s lips is how to stop Cartagena as they notched up their tenth straight league win over bottom-placed Albacete with a comfortable 2-0 victory away from home.

Goals in each half from Sívori and Oswaldo Chaurant put paid to Albacete’s hopes of snatching a shock win over the competition’s leader. On 42 minutes, Vucko took the ball from a cleared corner and raced away down the right channel, before cutting the ball inside for midfield maestro Míchel. The midfielder created the opportunity for Sívori who, brushing aside any suspicion of off-side, planted the ball in the back of the net at the keeper’s near post. On 73 minutes, Sívori turned provider, laying on the final pass for Chaurant to bend a rasping drive inside the far post to seal the win for the visitors. Míchel and substitute Francisco Javier De Pedro were both involved in the build-up.

Albacete struggled manfully to contain Cartagena, but the visitors were clearly the superior side on the day and deserved their victory. It now leaves them 17 points clear at the top of Real Vallodolid, with both clubs having played 32 games. Cádiz remains in third place, two points behind Real Vallodolid and a point clear of Córdoba. Down the bottom, Albacete, Real Unión, Melilla and Sporting Gijón are in a relegation battle.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An efficient performance nets us three points today. The only problem with the win is that three key players, Eduardo Conget, Sívori and Jurica Vucko are left with injuries following some meaty tackles by our opponents. All are out for about up to a week, which means all three will be touch and go for our next game. It means we could go into the game with an undersized forward line, with Matteini still recuperating from his knee injury, I have only Cherno Samba and Kali Ongala as forwards fit for selection at this stage.

Albacete (4-3-3): Casto; Stoyanov, Lembi, Gaspar, Coira (Reyes 62); Buadés, Iriney, Ãlvaro ©; Defour (García 62), Toché, Arrieta (Pachecho 72).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic (De Pedro 63), Conget © (Chaurant 45); Sívori, Vucko (Samba 63).

Final score: Albacete 0:2 Cartagena

MoM – Míchel

12th of March 2007

Sergio Corino and Míchel are named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

18th March 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 33: Cartagena v Pontevedra

Cartagena’s winning streak continues, at expense of injuries

Cartagena continued its winning form with a solid but unspectacular 1-0 win over Pontevedra at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena. Oswaldo Chaurant scored the only goal of the game from a corner orchestrated by Míchel on 20 minutes. However, the big news is the injuries suffered by both Chaurant and Míchel later in the game. The club refused to speculate on the extent of the injuries, but it is expected that both will miss at least 1-2 matches.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I can tell you that Chaurant will be out for a week and Míchel out for two weeks. The Venezuelan damaged a foot, while Míchel strained a groin muscle.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (De Pedro 85), Stevanovic, Chaurant (Conget 38); Sívori (Samba 62), Matteini.

Pontevedra (4-4-2): Moso; Clavero, Unai, Benja (Frassetto 71), Izquierdo; Salcedo, Kiko Torres, Mikel Alonso, Elm (Padín 71); Calle (Romo 61), Javi Rodríguez ©.

Final score: Cartagena 1:0 Pontevedra

MoM – Míchel

19th of March 2007

Further bad news on the injury front, with club captain Eduardo Conget, ruling himself out for a week by badly spraining a wrist in training this morning.

Once more, Míchel is named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

24th of March 2007

Dalibor Stevanovic is a 65th minute substitute for Slovenia in his country’s 3-0 loss to Wales at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff in a European Championship qualifier.

25th of March 2007

Arsene Wenger’s time at Arsenal is at an end as he is sacked today by club chairman, Mr Peter Hill-Wood, who believed that a fresh approach to the team would bring better results, as the club sits sixth in the English Premier League and well off the pace being set by league leader Chelsea.

26th of March 2007

Arsenal acts quickly to fill the void left by Wenger’s departure, hiring out of work manager, Rafa Benítez, to replace the Frenchman. Benítez was sacked in November last year by Valencia after the club lured him back to Spain from Liverpool.

28th of March 2007

Three Cartagena players are involved in international friendlies this evening. Dalibor Stevanovic was a 61st minute substitute for Slovenia in its 1-0 loss to Russia in Moscow.

Iván Kaviedes was a half-time substitute for Ecuador and helped set up Agustín Delgado’s injury time goal in Ecuador’s 2-0 win over Saint Martin.

Sipho Nunens played well in the heart of South Africa’s midfield as they defeated Sierra Leone 2-0 in Cape Town. He was substituted after 68 minutes.

1st April 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 34: Tenerife v Cartagena

Cartagena made to look the April’s fool by plucky Tenerife

Tenerife did what few clubs could do this season, and defeat the league leader Cartagena at home, by the odd goal in seven. In a tight struggle throughout, Tenerife’s emphasis on positive, attacking play won out and their four goals were sufficient to see them collect all three points. It was the first time this season in the league that Cartagena had conceded four goals, and Señor Flatline admitted after the game that with that type of defending they did not deserve to take any points away from the match. He paid tribute to Tenerife for sticking to their guns and continuing to attack to the last minute.

Juan started the ball rolling on 24 minutes when he was the beneficiary of a beautifully flighted Edu Mora cross, the former being able to head home from point blank range with Bonnefoi completely cut out. However, Cartagena leveled the match immediately, Sívori firing home from just outside the penalty box. But Tenerife immediately took back the lead – Bonnefoi’s partial block on Aloisi’s shot after excellent interplay by the Tenerife midfielders went straight to the feet of Enric Pi, who could not miss the empty net. Five minutes before half-time, Cartagena were level, however, when Svärd was able to meet De Pedro’s excellent cross at the far post and stick it in the net.

Tenerife went back into the lead on 58 minutes when Pi flicked on Fagiani’s throw-in for the advantage of Chaib, who scored his first ever goal for Tenerife with a simple tap-in at the far post. Tenerife then made the score 4-2 in their favour when on 71 minutes, Bonnefoi again could not hold on to Aloisi’s sweetly struck drive, and it fell nicely for Kiko to prod home. Vucko made the score 4-3 on 86 minutes, converting Svärd’s curling cross, but it was not enough to salvage any points from this game for Cartagena.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disappointing to lose, of course, but it had to happen eventually. Let’s hope it doesn’t affect my side too much and we can bounce back soon enough. Missing Conget, Míchel and Chaurant, I thought we did quite well, though our defence proved to be unusually fragile. Hitherto, we’d only conceded 16 goals all season in the league, but today we leaked four goals. We need to work on that.

Tenerife (4-4-2): Kelemen; Fagiani, Belli ©, Corona, Edu Moya; Juan, Jesús Vázquez, La Paglia (Rubiales 72), Chaib (Cristo 61); Aloisi, Pi (Kiko 61).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green (Javi Paredes 58), Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Vicente; De Pedro, Stevanovic, Svärd; Sívori (Vucko 58), Matteini (Samba 70).

Final score: Tenerife 4:3 Cartagena

MoM – Juan

More bad news to come out of today’s game, with Matteini sidelined for up to a fortnight with a groin strain, while Cristian Green corked his thigh quite badly.

• 3 weeks later...

We continue strolling down around the beaches of Cartagena

11th of April 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 35: Cartagena v Melilla

We’re quickly back on to the winner’s list after a comfortable 2-0 win over relegation struggler Melilla. A brace from Croatian striker Jurica Vucko, scored in the space of six minutes late in the second half, secures us the victory. The first goal, scored on 72 minutes, is a perfect centre forward’s goal, rising highest to meet Chaurant’s cross from the left side to head past the Melilla keeper. Six minutes later, Vucko shows his predatory skills, reacting quickest to the spillage from Stevanovic’s fierce drive to knock in the rebound.

The only downside to the win is the fact that several of my players suffered knocks during the game. Hopefully we can ease them through the next few days and ensure that no serious injury is sustained.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins, Cazzola (Javi Paredes 59); Svärd; Míchel (Chaurant 59), Stevanovic, Conget © (De Pedro 86); Sívori, Vucko.

Melilla (4-4-1-1): Balbuena; Calderón, Germán (Orta 72), Jurado, Rodolfo; Pablo Niño (Irazoki 64), Abela, Flores, Yamal; Guede (Zahínos 72); Mauri ©.

Final score: Cartagena 2:0 Melilla

MoM – Jurica Vucko

I’m informed by my physiotherapist on staff that Míchel damaged a shoulder and will miss 5 days, while Javi Paredes damaged a foot and will miss a week.

12th of April 2007

Thomas Gaardsøe tells me that he is annoyed he is being continually sidelined in favour of Mullins and Corino. Details of the meeting are leaked to the local media. I’m not particularly pleased with his current attitude.

15th of April 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 36: Córdoba v Cartagena

Mark this down as a red-letter day in the history of Cartagena, as it is the day upon which, with a hard-fought 3-2 win over our opponent, we achieve promotion to the Primera Liga! icon_cool.gificon14.gif

The game itself was a tale of two halves. We were terrible in the first half and deserved to go behind to Mate Bilic’s goal on 14 minutes. The Croatian international striker was able to leap highest at the far post to meet Montenegro’s cleverly flighted cross, giving Cazzola no chance of clearing the ball and Bonnefoi no chance of saving it. But despite their domination over the pitch in the first half, Córdoba led only by that solitary goal at half-time.

Giving my troops a rocket at the break, they came out breathing fire and responded accordingly. Jurica Vucko equalized on 52 minutes he pounced on the rebound from a partially blocked Stevanovic shot to prod home into the empty net. On 53 minutes, after we took back possession thanks to a lazy pass from a Córdoba player, Vucko ultimately turned provider for Stevanovic, who slotted the ball home at the near post to put us in the lead. icon14.gif Then on 61 minutes, Vucko had his second and our third thanks to good play by Sívori and Stevanovic to make things comfortable for us – until the 88th minute when Bonnefoi gifted Córdoba a goal. He failed to hold on to Jorge Pérez’s sharp shot and it dribbled over the line, much to my annoyance. However, Córdoba couldn’t get on level terms despite the gift and we secured promotion, much to the joy of everybody involved in the club! icon_cool.gif

Córdoba (4-4-2): Toño; López Ramos, Bouzón, Berruet, Juanmi; Jorge Pérez, Francisco (Sarmiento 66), Verza, Montenegro (Sérvulo 76); Bilic ©, Villa (Armentano 66).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Carlos, Corino, Mullins, Cazzola; Svärd; Chaurant, Stevanovic (De Pedro 66), Conget ©; Sívori (Ongala 80), Vucko.

Final score: Córdoba 2:3 Cartagena

MoM – Jorge Pérez

Unfortunately, we suffered some further reductions in our available players. Stevanovic strained his knee ligaments and will miss a month of football. Sívori collected his fifth yellow card for the season and will miss the next match.

16th of April 2007

Jurica Vucko is selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

22nd of April 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 37: Cartagena v Burgos

Cartagena crowned champion

Cartagena confirmed their championship status with a comfortable 2-0 win over Burgos at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena this evening.

Goals to Davide Matteini on 29 minutes and Eduardo Conget on 69 minutes sealed the win for the host who, with five games left in the league season, lead closest rival Real Vallodolid by an insurmountable 18 points. On 29 minutes, with Burgos struggling to clear the ball out of their defensive third, Míchel picked the pocket of Hugo Grandío and flighted a fast cross into the path of Matteini, who had no problems bending the ball inside the far post. On 69 minutes, an incisive Cartagena breakaway saw the ball put into the path of Conget by Jurica Vucko, and the captain cut inside his man and placed the ball into the far corner, to the general acclaim of the home crowd faithful.

It is a real red-letter day for the new champion of the Segunda Liga, Cartagena, as manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, joined the players on the hastily erected dais to claim the trophy.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our first piece of silverware, and hopefully the first of many, if I have my way. Of immediate concern is finding sufficiently skilled players to keep us in the Primera Liga this season, but we’re definitely going to carry a lot of confidence into next season through our absolute domination of this season, which was wholly unexpected by everybody except myself. icon_wink.gif

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Svärd; Míchel (Godino 80), Chaurant (De Pedro 39), Conget ©; Matteini, Vucko (Ongala 80).

Burgos (4-1-2-1-2): Juantxo; Zubizarreta, Fanari, Raúl García, Charles; Cubillo; Ibarra (López 69), Diego Rívas (Mara 69); Corona (Vales 60); Gálvez, Hugo Grandío ©.

Final score: Cartagena 2:0 Burgos

MoM – Eduardo Conget

The win does come at some price, though, with Chaurant ruled out through concussion for 5 days, and De Pedro straining a wrist, which will keep him on the sidelines for a week.

23rd of April 2007

Míchel and Eduardo Conget are both named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

29th of April 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 38: Almería v Cartagena

Almería fightback dampens championship celebrations

Almería fought back from 2-1 down with 5 minutes to play to win a pulsating match with newly crowned champion Cartagena 3-2 as an unsettled Cartagena defence conceded two goals in the space of five minutes.

Earlier, Almería had deservedly taken the lead on 18 minutes when Javi Paredes needlessly gave the ball away inside the penalty box. Almería striker, José Ortiz pounced on the loose ball and smashed it past the surprised Bonnefoi. But Míchel came to the rescue of Cartagena, converting a free kick from about 25 yards, earned by Italian striker Davide Matteini, who was felled in range of goals.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Cartagena took the lead when Chaurant shot at goal from just outside the box and the shot took a slight deflection of an Almería defender. But the match swung in favour of Almería when Conget was forced from the field with an injury 9 minutes later, then Cartagena’s defence became unsettled when Javi Paredes went down with an injury. Jordi Ferrón was pressed into an unfamiliar left-back role.

Although Almería chose not to attack Ferrón, the Cartagena defence needed time to reorganize, and that was time they weren’t about to get, as Bonnefoi launched a directionless free kick up the field, only to see it returned, with interest, by the hosts. Eventually the ball landed at the feet of midfielder Lozano, who was all alone and unattended inside the Cartagena box. He made no mistake, leveling the game at 2-2 apiece with five minutes to play. Gálcã then won the match for the host, launching a thunderous drive from the left edge of the penalty box which Bonnefoi could not stop, much to the delight of the home fans and the bewilderment of the visitors.

A famous victory for Almería, which leaves them clinging to an outside chance of a promotion spot.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disappointing to drop all three points today. We began the game poorly and we deserved to be behind thanks to Ortiz’s opportunistic strike. But we fought our way back into the game and I was looking forward to claiming all three points when Chaurant scored on the hour mark. But those two forced substitutions upset the balance of the side, unusually fragile today with such distractions going on, and we took the eye of the ball. Kudos to Almería for striving to the final whistle, but I hope we don’t do this again in a hurry.

Almería (4-5-1): Rubio; Cervián, Aitor Ocio, Óscar Rodríguez, Acasiete (Isaac 68); Ibon Begoña (Guié-Mien 68), Gálcã, Jamelli (Torres 78), Lozano, Juanma; Ortiz ©.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Javi Paredes (Ferrón 83), Corino, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Vicente; Míchel, Chaurant, Conget © (Godino 68); Matteini, Vucko.

Final score: Almería 3:2 Cartagena

MoM – Manuel Rubio

30th of April 2007

Míchel is named in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week, for the umpteenth time

Landry Bonnefoi bleats to the national press that he wants to be paid what he’s worth. I probably wouldn’t have chosen the Monday after a game where I conceded three goals to be making claims that he isn’t being paid what he’s worth. I’ve consulted with my coaches and they are in agreement – Bonnefoi has played quite well this season but is going through a patch of ‘average form’ just presently. I think it’s best to defer any talk of improved contracts until the end of the season, when I have a better idea from the Board what resources I have at my disposal to bring in new players and on what contracts.

6th of May 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 39: Cartagena v Real Vallodolid

Cartagena held to 1-1 draw as Míchel breaks ankle

Cartagena fans were dismayed this afternoon as star midfielder Míchel was rushed to the local hospital with a suspected broken ankle in his side’s 1-1 draw with promotion hopeful Real Vallodolid.

Míchel was injured on 23 minutes in a meaty challenge from Richi and he was immediately rushed to hospital.

On 33 minutes, Cartagena earned a penalty when Vallodolid defender Boris was adjudged to have backed into Chaurant. The referee did not hesitate in pointing to the spot, and Italian striker Davide Matteini duly converted the opportunity.

Cartagena substituted Sívori as precaution against injury at half-time, replacing him with Croatian striker Jurica Vucko. Real Vallodolid, knowing that its season was on the line, came out much stronger in the second half, with the minds of Cartagena’s players no doubt dwelling on the extent of the injury to Míchel. The visitors grabbed a deserved equalizer on 82 minutes Chema flighted a superb ball through the heart of the Cartagena defence to find Richi, played on-side by Sergio Corino. Richi coolly found the back of the net, resisting the pressure being applied by the onrushing Bonnefoi. The match finished all square but honours were definitely with the visitors.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can confirm the disastrous news that Míchel will miss up to four months with a broken ankle. Thankfully, his injury occurred near the end of the season which means he will have a couple of months in the off-season to recuperate and recover from this injury. However, I’m going to find it difficult to replace Míchel, who has been so important to our cause this season and was going to be an integral part of our Primera Liga campaign next season.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (De Pedro 23), Chaurant, Godino; Sívori (Vucko 45), Matteini.

Real Vallodolid (4-4-2): Barreto; Marcos, Boris, Egemen (Rafa 70), Cristian Ãlvarez; Nando (Sánchez 70), Sousa, Javi Jiménez ©, Chema; Aduriz (Víctor 61), Richi.

Final score: Cartagena 1:1 Real Vallodolid

MoM – Alberto Marcos

Being probed by the press, I admit that Míchel’s injury is a blow, but that I believe I have players in the squad capable of covering for him. The trouble is that many of those players are also currently injured.

7th of May 2007

Sebastian Svärd is selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

13th of May 2007

Chelsea edges out Man United for EPL crown

In possibly the closest chase for championship glory, Chelsea’s superior goal difference has seen the London club secure back-to-back premierships from Manchester United. Both clubs ended up on 74 points from 21 wins, 11 draws and 6 losses in the 38-game season, but Chelsea’s 74 goals for as compared to Manchester United’s 72 goals for won the day in the end for Chelsea.

For Mr Dino Zoff, manager of Manchester United, the result was bittersweet. During the middle of the season, few gave the Red Devils any hope of catching a rampant Chelsea, as the club slipped at one point to as low as ninth on the table. But an impressive run of form over the latter stages saw Manchester United grab the lead in the race for the title, only to lose it on the final day of the season thanks to a shock 2-0 loss at Old Trafford to old rival Liverpool, while Chelsea settled for a 1-1 draw with relegated Wolves.

Speaking at a press conference at Stamford Bridge, Mr Mourinho congratulated his counterpart on a sterling chase but said that over the full season, Chelsea was the superior side and deserved to be champion.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

20th of May 2005

Segunda Liga – Game 41: Cartagena v Terrassa

Strong performance from Svärd as Cartagena put three past Terrassa

Sebastian Svärd underlined his potential in a dominant performance in midfield as Cartagena overran Terrassa at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena this evening. Stand-in captain, Hayden Mullins, put the host in front on 30 minutes, taking control of a loose ball in the Terrassa box following Godino’s corner and firing it home, thanks to a slight deflection on the way. Six minutes later, good work down the left flank by De Pedro allowed Sívori to set up Chaurant for Cartagena’s second goal, and the Venezualan international couldn’t miss from 6 yards. Svärd then stamped his authority on the game on 52 minutes when he collected a mishit clearance and bent a powerful, dipping shot from all of 30 yards into the far corner for a simply magnificent goal. It was just reward for his tireless and strong performance, anchoring the midfield and had experts salivating over the 23 year old’s talent.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A good performance by everyone today and a well-earned 3-0 win to boot. Svärd was excellent in the centre of midfield, but he wasn’t the only one deserving of praise, as everybody did their job very well indeed.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Svärd; De Pedro (Samba 61), Chaurant, Godino; Sívori, Matteini.

Terrassa (3-5-2): Morales; Navas, Bunjevcevic, David Charcos; Garrido, Luis López (Besora 67), Ismael ©, Cregg (Pirri 67), Cristian; Maikel (Maldonado 77), Uranga.

Final score: Cartagena 3:0 Terrassa

MoM – Sebastian Svärd

In the post-match press conference, I’m asked about whether I’ll be able to hold onto Svärd. Publicly, I’m confident I’ll be able to retain his services for the foreseeable future.

21st of May 2007

Understandably, Svärd is selected in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

23rd of May 2007

Just days after claiming the Primera Liga crown, Barcelona edges out old rival Real Madrid 2-1 in the Stade des Trois Tilleuls in Brussels to claim the European Champions’ League. The match seemed destined for extra-time after the teams were deadlocked at 1-1 apiece thanks to Ronaldinho (Barcelona) and Owen (Real Madrid), but Giovanni van Bronckhorst struck the winning goal in the 88th minute.

26th of May 2007

Liverpool defeats Manchester United 2-0 to claim the FA Cup, leaving Mr Dino Zoff’s men empty handed after such a promising season.

Finishing three points behind champion Juventus is not good enough for the Board of AC Milan, who dismiss Carlo Ancelotti from his position, despite the fact Signor Ancelotti won the Scudetto last season.

27th of May 2007

Segunda Liga – Game 42: Getafe v Cartagena

Our last game in this division, hopefully, ends in a 3-3 draw after both sides put a premium on attack and less emphasis on defence. In particular, the finger could be pointed to Bonnefoi for conceding two soft goals, but to be fair to the young French keeper, our defenders’ minds were elsewhere as well today, and he did make a great save to preserve the point.

We had the best possible start when, with only 13 seconds on the clock, Chaurant fires a brilliant 30 yard drive past the Getafe keeper, despite close attention from ex-Cartagena midfielder, Trobbiani. But we’re pegged back on 7 minutes when Pachón puts the ball in the path of Vivar Dorado, who casually slides the ball past Bonnefoi into the far corner. icon_frown.gif Two minutes later, Green plays the ball back towards Bonnefoi, who hesitates at the crucial moment, allowing Pachón to nip in and put the ball past Bonnefoi to grab the lead for Getafe. icon_mad.gif But Sívori plays a delightful ball through the Getafe defence for the advantage of Matteini, who uses his strength and pace to hold off the defenders and slide the ball into the far corner for the equalizer on 29 minutes. icon14.gif Shortly after half-time, Matteini puts us in the lead when he accepts Chaurant’s through-ball, rounds the keeper and taps in casually. icon_biggrin.gif But Pachón has the last laugh when he knocks in the equalizer on 71 minutes. An entertaining, but frustrating way to end the season.

Getafe (4-4-2): Sánchez Broto; Ivo, Filipescu ©, Javi Martel (Tena 62), Javi Venta; Kosowski, Trobbiani (Cotelo 71), Vivar Dorado, Miñambres (Väyrynen 62); Pachón, Míchel.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Corino, Mullins ©, Ferrón; Svärd; De Pedro (Ongala 75), Chaurant, Godino; Sívori (Vucko 75), Matteini.

Final score: Getafe 3:3 Cartagena

MoM – Davide Matteini

Well, that concludes our season, which sees us crowned as definitive champion of the Segunda Liga. In the end, we finished 16 points clear of Cádiz and Córdoba, who both pipped Real Valladolid by 2 points:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

-------------------------------------------------------------

1st C Cartagena 42 30 5 7 94 32 +62 95

2nd P Cadiz 42 24 7 11 69 42 +27 79

3rd P Cordoba 42 23 10 9 63 45 +18 79

-------------------------------------------------------------

4th Vallodolid 42 21 14 7 57 28 +29 77

5th Almeria 42 21 12 9 64 39 +25 75

6th Ejido 42 22 7 13 73 45 +28 73

7th Xerez 42 21 9 12 71 47 +24 72

8th Getafe 42 20 9 13 67 50 +17 69

9th Numancia 42 18 14 10 54 42 +12 68

10th Real Madrid B 42 17 10 15 53 66 -13 61

11th Pontevedra 42 16 12 14 56 51 +5 60

</pre>

Let’s briefly take a look at the squad of players that helped me achieve such an overwhelming victory in the Segunda Liga. We’ll start with the goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers

Landry Bonnefoi (23 y/o, FRA, GK – 40 apps, 31 conceded, 22 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.25): 40 apps, 31 conceded, 22 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.25

Iñaki (37 y/o, ESP, GK - 87 apps, 70 conceded, 43 clean sheets, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32): 4 apps, 6 conceded, 1 clean sheet, av. rating: 6.50

Bonnefoi clearly established himself as the No. 1 keeper at this club, but I’m fearful that at his age and level of experience he may struggle to adjust to the higher tempo and greater skill in the Primera Liga. Therefore, I’ll be on the look-out for a new keeper in the summer, as Iñaki is now too old for anything else other than back-up duties.

Defenders

Sergio Corino (32 y/o, ESP, SW/D C – 63 apps, 6 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38): 44 apps, 5 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32

Hayden Mullins (28 y/o, ENG, SW/D C – 36(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.41): 36(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.41

Corrado Quaresmini (20 y/o, ITA, D R – 1 app, av. rating: 6.00): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00

Thomas Gaardsøe (27 y/o, DEN 3 caps, D C – 7(1) apps, av. rating: 7.13): 7(1) apps, av. rating: 7.13

Jordi Ferrón (28 y/o, ESP, D/DM R – 16(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.39): 16(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.39

Carlos (27 y/o, ESP, D/DM RL – 45 apps, av. rating: 7.14): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00

Cristian Green (29 y/o, ARG, D/DM RL – 39 apps, av. rating: 7.23): 39 apps, av. rating: 7.23

Riccardo Cazzola (21 y/o, ITA, D/DM RC – 50(2) apps, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.02): 6(2) apps, av. rating: 6.88

Javi Paredes (24 y/o, ESP, D/DM L – 26(2) apps, av. rating: 7.21): 26(2) apps, av. ratign: 7.21

For most of the season, my defence was drawn from a pool of five players, namely, Corino, Mullins, Green, Ferrón and Paredes. The unlucky player was Paredes as Ferrón came into the side late in the season and cemented himself as a competent right back, which meant I swapped Green to the left side and therefore squeezed Paredes out. In the middle of defence, Mullins and Corino formed a solid partnership, which meant the likes of Gaardsøe, Cazzola and Alberto Merino struggled to command a place in my best eleven. However, although Corino had a good season, he will be 33 next season, and I would like somebody younger to assist Mullins marshal our defence in what is sure to be a testing season. Whether that person is Gaardsøe, Cazzola or a player not yet at this club is yet to be determined.

Midfielders

Sebastian Svärd (24 y/o, DEN, D/DM RC – 29 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.72): 29 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.72

Vicente (31 y/o, ESP, D/DM C – 16 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.25): 16 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.25

Eduardo Conget (29 y/o, ESP, DM RC – 112(5) apps, 7 goals, 22 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19): 33(2) apps, 3 goals, 9 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.17

Jordi (30 y/o, ESP, M R – 33(9) apps, 1 goal, 15 assists, av. rating: 7.24): 1(4) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.00

Sipho Nunens (25 y/o, RSA 14 caps, 1 goal, M C – 14(3) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.18): 3 apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.67

Javier Araújo (22 y/o, COL 18 caps, 2 goals, AM RLC – 36(1) apps, 11 goals, 15 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.70): 20 apps, 4 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.75 – sold on 11th of January 2007 to Villarreal

Oswaldo Chaurant (22 y/o, VEN 21 caps, 3 goals, AM RLC – 10(8) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.44): 10(8) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.44

Juan Antonio Godino (29 y/o, ESP, AM RC – 32(12) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.98): 4(8) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 7.00

Fransisco Javier De Pedro (33 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 2 goals, AM L – 10(14) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 6.75): 7(12) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 6.74

Míchel (31 y/o, ESP, AM LC – 54(2) apps, 5 goals, 32 assists, 17 MoMs, av. rating: 8.00): 34(1) apps, 3 goals, 23 assists, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.97

Dalibor Stevanovic (22 y/o, SLO 9 caps, AM C – 19(1) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.55): 19(1) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.55

I think I can safely say that we had probably the best collection of midfielders in this division this season. With either Svärd (particularly later in the season) and Vicente playing the anchor role behind a midfield trio, we had extra protection for our defence, and allowing the midfield trio to create opportunities and score goals. In particular, Míchel was superb in this role, until he was put out of action for four months with a broken ankle. I hope that I won’t miss him as we embark on our safety mission in the Primera Liga early in the season, as his creativity and distribution of the ball has been sublime since he joined in the middle of last season.

Chaurant, Stevanovic and Conget have all done good jobs, particularly Chaurant, who stepped up to the mark after the departure of excitement machine, Javier Araújo, to Villarreal during the witner transfer period. Stevanovic was purchased because he is a creative, attacking midfielder, and he comfortably adapted to the Spanish style of play in the second half of the season. Only 22, he should be capable of quite significant improvement and I hope that I can bring his full talent to the fore in the next few seasons.

Sipho Nunens has been patient and I need to work out how I can reward his patience next season. At 25, he is becoming quite a creative central midfielder and I hope that it won’t be too much longer before he is granted Spanish citizenship. At the moment, the fact he is not an EU citizen and that he is not as central to my plans as other non-EU citizen players means he is frequently on the outer – but he is too good a player not to be included in our playing squad.

Forwards

Samba (21 y/o, ENG, F RC – 0(13) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.69): 0(13) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.69

Freddy Adu (17 y/o, USA 15 caps, 1 goal, F LC – 0(4) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.00): 0(4) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.00

Kali Ongala (27 y/o, CON 9 caps, F C – 14(24) apps, 8 goals, 4 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34): 0(11) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Sívori (30 y/o, ESP, F C – 106(4) apps, 64 goals, 21 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42): 42 apps, 20 goals, 10 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.33

Davide Matteini (25 y/o, ITA, S C – 32(1) apps, 21 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.67): 32(1) apps, 21 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.67

Jurica Vucko (30 y/o, HSV 8 caps – 14(15) apps, 13 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.31): 14(15) apps, 13 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.31

Sívori and Matteini quickly struck up a very fruitful partnership and to have more 41 goals scored between them in all competitions this season is a very good return, and I hope that they can continue that form next season. Jurica Vucko was an excellent back-up either coming off the bench or in place of one of the injured strikers. He has been pushing strongly for selection in my first-choice eleven and if he can keep up his impressive form, he may displace one of the established pair if that striker loses form.

Samba and Freddy Adu are young, raw and inexperienced (although Freddy does have the benefit of playing in World Cup icon_wink.gif ) and will look to get some more experience next season.

Kali Ongala shows flashes of talent on occasion, but he is out of contract at the end of the season and I’m unlikely, at this stage, to renew it.

28th of May 2007

Oswaldo Chaurant and Davide Matteini make appearances in the Segunda Liga Team of the Week.

29th of May 2007

Landry Bonnefoi misses out on Goalkeeper of the Year honours. Ejido’s Javier Oliva takes the award, ahead of Garikoitz Basauri of Ourense and Diego Daniel Barreto of Real Vallodolid.

Busi of Real Mallorca B is the division’s leading goalscorer, with 24 goals for the season, ahead of Ejido’s Aranda and Rajko Lekic of Xerez.

2nd of June 2007

Dalibor Stevanovic was a substitute in Slovenia’s 4-0 win over the Faeroe Islands, but was not an impressive player.

7th of June 2007

Iván Kaviedes agrees to join Celta Vigo on a Bosman free transfer at the end of July.

8th of June 2007

Barcelona will be on the look-out for a new manager following the departure of Signor Frank Rikjaard to fulfil the vacancy at AC Milan.

Just for a giggle, I apply for the job. icon14.gif

11th of June 2007

I’m informed by Francisco Javier De Pedro and Italian coach Oscar Piergallini that they want to retire at the end of the season.

14th of June 2007

Davide Matteini instructs his agent to complain to the press that he feels he’s being dudded on his contract by the club. Although I’m outraged that he chose to make his feelings public in this manner, I decide to sit down with him and his agent to determine whether we have the potential to reach an amicable deal on a new contract. Unfortunately, Matteini makes it known he wants £21,500 per week, which far outstrips what I’m able to offer him. I’ll wait until the Board works out its finances for the new season, but if I can’t come to an agreement with him, I’ll cash in on him sooner rather than later.

15th of June 2007

Alberto Merino announces his decision to retire from professional football at the end of the season.

16th of June 2007

Josep Guardiola and Fran Nogueira announce their decisions to retire from professional football. Guardiola has recently completed his professional coaching course and hopes that he can fill the role that will be vacated by Oscar Piergallini shortly.

Freddy Adu is called up by Bruce Arena to the USA squad for the Confederations Cup.

17th of June 2007

Barcelona poaches Chelsea manager Mr José Mourinho to replace Signor Frank Rikjaard.

20th of June 2007

Javier Araújo earns himself a Copa del Rey winners medal after appearing as a substitute for Villarreal in their 2-0 win over Valencia.

Freddy Adu plays a full 90 minutes in the USA’s 0-0 draw with Brazil to kick off the Confederations Cup.

22nd of June 2007

Freddy plays 70 minutes in the USA’s 2-0 loss to Greece.

23rd of June 2007

Sebastian Svärd’s list of admirers grows as Mallorca, Racing Santander and Levante all show interest in the ex-Arsenal midfielder. I up my asking price to £3.5 million and tell the public he will only be sold ‘if the price is right’.

24th of June 2007

I’m informed by the Board that I have a transfer kitty of £2.7 million to play with, along with whatever I can raise from sales of players.

Somehow, my words concerning Svärd are twisted into a claim that I’ve given up hope of retaining him and that he’ll be departing sooner rather than later.

Freddy Adu plays well for the USA in their 3-0 win over Australia, setting up a goal, but lasted only 57 minutes.

26th of June 2007

Armed with a more appropriate wage budget, I’m able to come to terms with Davide Matteini, and he will remain with the club until 2010. At £15,500 per week, I hope he can deliver the goals we’ll need to stay up next season.

28th of June 2007

Despite taking Italy to a 0-0 draw at the end of 120 minutes, the USA lost a penalty shoot-out in the Confederations Cup semi-final. Freddy Adu was impressive in the 63 minutes he played.

30th of June 2007

Freddy Adu caps an impressive tournament by opening the scoring for the USA in their 2-0 win over Uruguay for third place in the Confederations Cup.

1st of July 2007

Nákor and Ricardo Sousa join the club today on Bosman free transfers.

Surprisingly, the fans are against my signing of Sousa, believing that he will upset harmony in the dressing room. We’ll have to wait and see, I suppose.

5th of July 2007

I turn down a paltry bid of £1.8 million for Oswaldo Chaurant from Barcelona. Naturally, the player is a little incensed that I deny him the opportunity to sign for such an illustrious club and makes his annoyance known to the press.

B]6th of July 2007[/b]

In the meantime, I’m negotiating with Barcelona to purchase their back-up keeper, Albert Jorquera, and Barcelona responds with a proposal that I find palatable.

7th of July 2007

I luck out with free agent goalkeeper, Matteo Sereni.

9th of July 2007

Real Zaragoza makes a more realistic offer for Chaurant, but I want the world for the Venezualan, so I bump the price up to his minimum release clause amount, which is £4.3 million.

10th of July 2007

Míchel is the Fans’ Player of the Year.

My offer for Jorquera is accepted by Barcelona, but the player informs me that he has no intention of joining my club. Recognising a futile exercise when I see one, I call off negotiations immediately.

11th of July 2007

Real Zaragoza is not prepared to pay an extra £800,000 for Chaurant and withdraws the offer for him.

12th of July 2007

I approach the Board of Directors about improving the state of the training facilities. Finally, they open their eyes to the inadequacies of the facilities and promise me that investment will be made to improve them shortly.

13th of July 2007

With my blessing, Oscar Piergallini retires from professional football a few days early.

15th of July 2007

Wigan poaches one my scouts, David Jarrett, in return for the paltry sum of £10,000 by way of compensation.

17th of July 2007

I sign little known Portuguese scout Major Santos to replace David Jarrett.

18th of July 2007

Josep Guardiola retires as a player and takes up his career as a physiotherapist. I make him an offer to join Cartagena as a physio.

26th of July 2007

With Iñaki retiring during the off-season and with only Landry Bonnefoi contracted to the club, I decide to extend Yepes’ contract by a season. He’s now 35 years old, hasn’t played for me in a competitive game, but I need goalkeeping cover, at least until I can find a new No. 1 keeper for the club, which is taking longer than expected.

1st of August 2007

We lose one striker and replace him with another. Iván Kaviedes departs the club on a Bosman free transfer for Celta Vigo, while Míchel joins the club on a Bosman free transfer from Getafe: Iván Kaviedes (29 y/o, ECU 61 caps, 12 goals, S C): 11(6) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.12

Jorge Azkoitia and Gabriel Bordi depart the club on free transfers: Jorge Azkoitia (33 y/o, ESP, AM R): 13(2) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.87; Gabriel Bordi (32 y/o, ARG, S C): 5(13) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.78

2nd of August 2007

I add Dutch midfielder Boudewijn Zenden on a free transfer to increase the depth in our midfield. At 30, with 62 international caps of experience under his belt, I hope that he can give us a lift when necessary.

3rd of August 2007

Two more Italian scouts are added to the payroll to help sort through the masses of players I want evaluated before the transfer window closes.

Friendly – Ponferradina v Cartagena

We cruise to a comfortable 3-0 win with goals to new striker Míchel (7 minutes), Sipho Nunens (54 minutes) and Davide Matteini (89 minutes). With the amount of possession we had during the game, and the number of chances we created, we probably should have had more goals by the time the final whistle was blown, but this was a good way to shake out some cobwebs and get ourselves set for the harder stuff to come. The only downside was a groin strain suffered by captain, Eduardo Conget, which will set back his pre-season by a fortnight.

Ponferradina (4-4-2): Sierra (Flores 68); Lord-Kangana (Vicente 45), Soto (Sanz 55), Chus (Annan 55), Toñín ©; Kolehmainen (Ortiz 55), Julio Hormiga, Tarradellas, Fran (Jesús Sánchez 39); Improta (Kaiku 45), Ruggeri (Gonzalo 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi (Yepes ); Javi Paredes (Green 61), Gaardsøe, Mullins (Cazzola 83), Quaresmini; Svärd (Acuña 61); Chaurant (Zenden 61), Nunens (Sousa 61), Conget © (Nákor 31); Sívori (Matteini 70), Míchel.

Final score: Ponferradina 0:3 Cartagena

MoM – Sipho Nunens

12th of August 2007

Friendly – Cartagena v Sevilla

A friendly selected for live television, our media hoodoo continues as we go down 2-0 to a much better Sevilla side. The match illustrates how far we need to improve to be considered safe from the drop this season, as two poor defensive errors cost us two goals. US international DaMarcus Beasley puts Sevilla on their way on 12 minutes, having been left with too much time and space to turn home Kahlenberg’s simple cross. Then on 72 minutes, Jesuli is able to sneak in behind my defence to blast home Bautista’s corner. icon_frown.gif In between, we manage to play some nice, attractive football, but a combination of wasteful finishing and good goalkeeping keeps the score tilted in favour of the visitors. There is definitely room for improvement, I must say.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green (Javi Paredes 73), Mullins ©, Gaardsøe (Vicente 73), Quaresmini (Cazzola 86); Svärd (Acuña 73); Chaurant (Zenden 56), Nunens (Sousa 56), Stevanovic (Nákor 56); Adu (Matteini 56), Míchel.

Sevilla (4-4-2): Esteban; Sergio Ramos (Bautista 45), Cuéllar (José 70), Rãdoi (Navarro 70), Sagnol ©; Beasley (Gilberto 59), Kahlenberg (Ricardo 70), Kléberson (Sales 59), Jesús Navas (Jesuli 59); Aranda (Pandiani 59), Júlio Baptista (Ismael 45).

Final score: Cartagena 0:2 Sevilla

MoM – DaMarcus Beasley

After the game, I’m delighted to discover that Israeli international goalkeeper Dudu Awate has agreed terms and has joined from Racing Santander for a total £2.2 million (although the bulk of it will be paid over 24 months).

15th of August 2007

I sign Udinese Swedish attacking midfielder Henok Goitom for a cut-price £425,000. The 23 year old looks to have genuine talent and was being wasted by Udinese in its reserves. He looks like a player who loves to score goals from midfield, and that is what I need, to support the strikers. The fact he is versatile enough to play on the flanks and through the middle is also exciting to me.

16th of August 2007

Goitom’s presence in the squad suddenly takes on new meaning with Oswaldo Chaurant damaging knee cartilage in a training incident this morning, ruling him out for up to a month of football. With Míchel already sidelined, this is not news I welcome.

Friendly – Vicenza v Cartagena

We take this game 2-1 thanks to goals from Sipho Nunens and Ricardo Sousa. Considering that we racked up 16 shots at Vicenza’s goal, for seven on target, it probably should have been more, and I’m not pleased that we conceded a goal from Vicenza’s only on-target shot. Nevertheless, it was an entertaining and enterprising hit-out for the club.

Vicenza (4-4-2): Avramov (Maggi 77); Ballardin (Biondini 61), Vasco Faísca © (Renard 77), Fissore (s/o 40), Ballardin (Pozza 61); Chiumiento (Gisaldi 45 (Fanasca 77)), Olivetti (Micheli 61), Ferrari (Sussi 61), Alvarez (Giacomini 82); Zenga (Leonardi 45), Ottofaro (Bonanni 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi (Yepes 72); Green © (Javi Paredes 64), Corino (Cazzola 72), Gaardsøe, Ferrón (Quaresmini 72); Svärd (Vicente 64); Goitom (Stevanovic 72), Nunens (Ricardo Sousa 64), Nákor (Godino 64); Adu (Matteini 64), Míchel.

Final score: Vicenza 1:2 Cartagena

MoM – Olivier Renard

19th of August 2007

Friendly – Conquense v Cartagena

A double strike from Davide Matteini settles the game in our favour, and as to be expected, we are too classy for our host. The only concern arising from the match is the fact that Sipho Nunens and Dalibor Stevanovic appeared to suffer injuries during the game.

Conquense (4-4-2): Gustavo (Ibarra 85); Lozano (Santos 66), Jornet, Galiano (Chufi 45), Luis; Zurdo (Sergio 61), Bengtsson (Afonso 61), Tello (Jesús 61), Lalo; Barcham (s/o 57), Alberto Alejandro © (Ibrahim 66).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green (Javi Paredes 59), Corino, Mullins, Ferrón; Svärd (Cazzola 59); Goitom (Zenden 59), Ricardo Sousa (Stevanovic 59 (Nunens 76 (Godino 90))), Conget © (Nákor 59); Adu (Sívori 59), Matteini.

Final score: Conquense 0:2 Cartagena

MoM – Davide Matteini

Fortunately, Stevanovic emerges unscathed from the game, while Sipho Nunens has a deeply gashed leg and will miss five days.

21st of August 2007

We’re quoted at 2000-1 odds to win the Primera Liga this season. In other words, the bookies think we’re going straight back down again. Well, we’ll see about that, as I remark to the journalist who approaches me about the issue.

24th of August 2007

Friendly – Cartagena v Cartagena U-18s

We comfortably prevail 4-0 over our U-18 side, with goals to Jordi Ferrón, two to Matteini, and Míchel. In the end, this was really just a glorified training exercise, but I hope it boosts the confidence of the players ahead of the real stuff, which is just around the corner, now.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom, Ricardo Sousa (Nunens 76), Conget © (Zenden 58); Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 76).

Cartegena U-18s (4-4-2): Apart from Vicente Flor and Chema, this side is composed of uncontracted youngsters.

Final score: Cartagena 4:0 Cartagena U-18s

MoM – Davide Matteini

29th of August 2007

Primera Liga – Game 1: Córdoba v Cartagena

Lucky Cartagena holds on for a scoreless draw

In an entertaining affair, Córdoba were held to a goalless draw by Primera Liga newcomer Cartagena. In total, 26 shots were attempted at the goals guarded by the two goalkeepers, though both managers will have some food for thought concerning the lack of quality finishing evident from both clubs. Córdoba probably should have won the match, however, with Jordi Ferrón adjudged to have fouled Ariel Ortega inside the box on 53 minutes. However, Montenegro sent his penalty wide of Awate’s right post to miss the crucial opportunity. Cartagena tried the long range bombardment of Toño’s goal, but in a man of the match performance, the Córdoba keeper was not to beaten. All in all, both clubs would be disappointed, yet satisfied not to commence their respective campaigns with a loss.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We played some positive football this evening, but could not hit the back of the net. I was particularly pleased with the performance of Thomas Gaardsøe, who spent last season as understudy to Sergio Corino, but has stepped up to partner Mullins as I believe Corino’s age and lack of pace may hurt us if I play him often. He worked well with Mullins and was instrumental in breaking up some of the attacks, particularly late in the game as we began to tire.

Córdoba (4-4-2): Toño; López Ramos ©, Bouzón, Berruet, David García (Maínz 72); Jorge Pérez, Vrsic (Rodríguez 72), Sarmiento, Montenegro; Diego, Ortega (Sérvulo 80).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom (Adu 81), Sousa (Nunens 59), Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 81).

Final score: Córdoba 0:0 Cartagena

MoM – Toño

30th of August 2007

Dulee Johnson turns down offers from Liverpool and Real Madrid to join Cartagena, in the winter. The 22 year old Liberian international is capable of playing up front or on the right wing, and I think he looks like a particularly talented player.

I also appoint former Verona coach, Valter Vio, to a coaching role today.

31st of August 2007

The transfer window closes for the summer, which means I can now preview my squad (although we’ve already played one competitive fixture this season). Let’s begin, as always, with the goalkeepers.

Goalkeepers

Dudu Awate (29 y/o, ISR 26 caps, GK): 1 app, 1 clean sheet, av. rating: 8.00

Landry Bonnefoi (23 y/o, FRA, GK): 40 apps, 31 conceded, 22 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.25

Juan Carlos (20 y/o, ESP, GK): 0 apps

Awate takes over from Bonnefoi as my new no. 1 keeper. The Israeli international was in and out of the team at Racing Santander and the offer of first team football on a regular basis helped sway his decision to move to the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena. My coaches weren’t sold on his ability when I asked my scouts to take a look at him, but I think he is a solid, decent keeper who should be able to do a job for us. Bonnefoi, of course, already has had one season with us and he’s probably a little miffed I’ve gone out and bought a new goalkeeper. However, I believe that Bonnefoi is probably a better long-term option for the club, but at this stage of his development, I don’t think he is quite good enough to trust with the regular job of goalkeeping in a club wanting to stay up at the end of the season. Juan Carlos is a rising keeper who is now too old for the U-18s but keeps his registration in the main squad anyway.

Defenders

Sergio Corino (32 y/o, ESP, SW/D C): 63 apps, 6 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38

Hayden Mullins (28 y/o, ENG, SW/D C): 37(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.40

Thomas Gaardsøe (27 y/o, DEN 3 caps, D C): 8(1) apps, av. rating: 7.23

Jordi Ferrón (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM R): 17(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.37

Cristian Green (29 y/o, ARG, D/DM RL): 40 apps, 7.22

Riccardo Cazzola (22 y/o, ITA, D/DM RC): 50(2) apps, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.02

Javi Paredes (25 y/o, ESP, D/DM L): 26(2) apps, av. rating: 7.21

At this stage, as pointed out above, Gaardsøe is probably the only person to come in to what was a very settled back four last season. Javi Paredes and Riccardo Cazzola will need to impress me a lot during training to force their way into the reckoning, although I’ll probably give both of them the opportunity to shine in the Copa del Rey games we’re likely to play this season. Sergio Corino will have to make do with a position as back-up to the first team now that age is beginning to weary him.

Midfielders

Sebastian Svärd (24 y/o, DEN, D/DM RC): 30 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.70):

Vicente (31 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 16 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.25

Eduardo Conget (30 y/o, ESP, DM RC): 113(5) apps, 7 goals, 22 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19

Sipho Nunens (25 y/o, RSA 14 caps, 1 goal, M C): 14(4) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.17

Oswaldo Chaurant (23 y/o, VEN 24 caps, 3 goals, AM RLC): 10(8) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.44

Juan Antonio Godino (29 y/o, ESP, AM RC): 32(12) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.98

Míchel (31 y/o, ESP, AM LC): 54(2) apps, 5 goals, 32 assists, 17 MoMs, av. rating: 8.00

Boudewijn Zenden (31 y/o, NED 62 caps, 8 goals, AM LC): 0 apps

Ricardo Sousa (28 y/o, POR, AM C): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00

Dalibor Stevanovic (22 y/o, SLO 11 caps, AM C): 19(1) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.55

Henok Goitom (23 y/o, SWE, AM/F RLC): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00

Some new faces sprinkled in with some faces with experience playing for this club. Míchel, like he did last season, I think holds the key to our success. His ability to create scoring opportunities for our forwards and midfielders is second to none at this club, and I cannot wait until he is back to full fitness, in about a month. We have some good young talent in this side, I think, with the likes of Chaurant, Stevanovic and Goitom all likely to go on and have very good careers. We also have some experience, with Zenden joining the club and Eduardo Conget remains as the captain, while Ricardo Sousa hopes that exposure in the Primera Liga will catch the eye of the Portuguese manager and he receives a call up in time for Euro 2008. Sebastian Svärd remains at the club and will be my first-choice anchor midfielder, while Sipho Nunens’ patience is rewarded with a place in my squad and the capacity to play games for us.

Forwards

Nákor (29 y/o, ESP, F RC): 0 apps

Freddy Adu (18 y/o, USA 20 caps, 2 goals, F LC): 0(5) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.00

Sívori (30 y/o, ESP, F C): 107(4) apps, 64 goals, 21 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42

Davide Matteini (25 y/o, ITA, S C): 33(1) apps, 21 goals, 8 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.65

Míchel (30 y/o, ESP, S C): 0(1) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Once again, the onus is upon Sívori and Matteini to score goals for us this season – particularly the latter, who reckons he is worth £15,500 per week. I need him to score bagfuls of goals so we can continue to pay his wages next season. Míchel is going to a handy player to come off the bench as an impact player, I think, while Adu continues to blossom as a player of some talent.

7th of September 2007

We’re paired with Córdoba for our first round match in the Copa del Rey, to be played away from home on the 24th of October 2007.

9th of September 2007

Cartagena stun Alavés

Cartagena’s first victory in the Primera Liga came in only its second game as it handed out a 4-1 threashing to Alavés this evening at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena. A combination of good finishing and poor goalkeeping allowed Cartagena the opportunity to slip four goals into the back of the visitors’ net, with Sívori, Matteini (2) and Nunens the main beneficiaries. In midfield, Swedish starlet Henok Goitom was a revelation, constantly keeping the Alavés defence on the back foot with his running and passing abilities. The finishing also was of a high quality and the Cartagena fans were more than happy with the way their team, tipped for relegation, played this afternoon. A very promising start to the season for Cartagena, while a disappointing day for the visitors.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henok Goitom played spectacularly well today, setting up two goals and only narrowly missed out on getting his own goal which would have capped off a perfect display. Matteini and Sívori were lethal in front of goal, while Nunens grabbed an opportunistic goal at the end of the game. We did blot our copybook by conceding a goal to a rather fortuitous strike by Bodipo on 51 minutes, but we quickly snuffed out any thought of a comeback. I’m very pleased with the way we played this evening.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe (inj. 90), Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom (Adu 68), Ricardo Sousa (Nunens 63), Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 68).

Alavés (4-4-2): Young-Kwang; Antonio López, Abel (Sarriegi 54), Hughes, Schröder; van der Meyde, Verón, Astudillo ©, Vallejo (Promise 67); Fran (Ãlex 45), Bodipo.

Final score: Cartagena 4:1 Alavés

MoM – Henok Goitom

10th of September 2007

Goitom is selected in the Primera Liga Team of the Week.

16th of September 2007

Primera Liga – Game 3: Cádiz v Cartagena

Against our fellow promotee, we do rather well, notching up a comfortable 3-1 win to remain undefeated in our first three games. With Gaardsøe unfit after picking up an injury late against Alavés and Sívori injuring himself in training during the week, I’m forced to make two changes – Sergio Corino and Míchel (the striker, not the midfielder) come in to replace those two players. Oswaldo Chaurant and Míchel are back to full training but I do not want to risk them just yet – they’ll come under consideration for our next game against Real Sociedad in three days.

Cádiz take the lead on 12 minutes through Jankauskas, following a misunderstanding between Conget and Corino, which gifted possession to Giacomazzi, who crossed for the benefit of the Lithuanian striker. But we equalize through Míchel on 36 minutes when he rises above Amaya to head home Svärd’s set-piece. Two minutes later, Sousa, Míchel and Matteini all play their part in setting Goitom free, and the Swede blasts us into the lead with a fierce drive that David James has no chance of stopping. icon14.gif Then, right on half-time, Giacomazzi turns villain when he inadvertently heads Goitom’s cross past James to make it 3-1. That finishes the scoring, although Cádiz do make some more chances in the second half, but Dudu Awate steps up to the plate and pulls off some good saves to preserve our lead.

Cádiz (3-5-2): James; Mario (López 72), Bréchet, Amaya; Sesma (Silva 72), Giacomazzi, Manolo Pérez ©, Cziommer, Gallardo; Jankauskas (Oli 61), Benjamin.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green (Javi Paredes 62), Mullins, Corino, Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom, Ricardo Sousa, Conget ©; Matteini (Adu 80), Míchel.

Final score: Cádiz 1:3 Cartagena

MoM – Míchel

Unfortunately, Míchel damages a shoulder late in the game and will miss five days, which rules him out of our next game, at home to Real Sociedad.

17th of September 2007

Sebastian Svärd and Míchel are selected in this week’s Primera Liga Team of the Week.

18th of September 2007

I wake up to headlines in the morning’s paper, quoting Real Sociedad manager, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer saying he felt sympathy for my position, knowing that I have a big task on my hands keeping Cartagena in the Primera Liga, but, even so, he won’t be doing me any favours when we meet tomorrow night.

Asked for a quote by Cartagena’s press officer, I respond by saying that I was pleased that my friend and colleague recognized the difficulties I face.

19th of September 2007

Primera Liga – Game 4: Cartagena v Real Sociedad

Stevanovic goal earns Cartagena a point

Dalibor Stevanovic’s first goal of the season earned the home side a point in a hotly contested match against Real Sociedad. Cartagena, expected to struggle to avoid relegation at the start of the season, went behind to Manuele Blasi on 12 minutes when the Italian was able to out-jump Jordi Ferrón and head López Rekarte’s cross past Dudu Awate. But Stevanovic, in to the side for the injured Ricardo Sousa, was afforded too much time and space inside the Real Sociedad box and was perfectly picked out by Conget. The Slovenian international did not hesitate in hitting a rasping drive past Rüstü Reçber and leveling the scores. Real Sociedad certainly made more chances than the host, but failed to capitalize in an equal second half and both sides would have been content with the point.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was certainly a well-worked move that led to our equalizer, but we were really outclassed today by a well-organised Real Sociedad outfit and we probably deserved to lose, considering that across the board stats-wise, our opponent had the better numbers. However, some good goalkeeping by Dudu Awate and some good defensive work by my back four made sure that we didn’t concede after that early goal was netted by Blasi. Up front, Goitom and Sívori looked subdued and I eventually substituted both of them. Míchel, my creative midfielder playmaker is available for our next game, away to Real Betis and I think he might come straight back into the side.

However, if you were to tell me that we would be undefeated four games into the season with 8 points already on the board, then I’d be very happy with that, and I am at the moment.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom (Adu 74), Stevanovic, Conget ©; Sívori (Nákor 74), Matteini.

Real Sociedad (4-4-2): Rüstü; Arruabarrena, André Bahia, Dellas, López Rekarte; Chun-Soo (Arteta 61), Blasi, Gabilondo © (Rossato 71), Freier; Zidan (Kovacevic 71), Nihat.

Final score: Cartagena 1:1 Real Sociedad

MoM – Jordi Ferrón

I’m informed by my physios that Awate sprained a wrist during the match and is out for up to five days. That means that Bonnefoi will be in goal for our visit to Real Betis.

23rd of September 2007

Primera Liga – Game 5: Real Betis v Cartagena

We lose our first game in the Primera Liga despite leading it at half-time. Ricardo Sousa put us ahead on 28 minutes with a piledriver of a shot from 30 yards that Pedro Contreras had no chance of stopping after Matteini led the Real Betis defence a merry dance. But Real Betis were the better side and deservedly equalized on 52 minutes when Portillo bent a cross through our penalty box for the unmarked Assunção to beat Bonnefoi at his near post. icon_frown.gif Then on 81 minutes, Edú beat two of my defenders before letting fly. The ball struck one of my players and rebounded into the path of substitute Dani who gleefully stuck it past Bonnefoi at the far post. icon_mad.gif Today, we were not good enough defensively, in my view. One positive is that Míchel made it through the match relatively unscathed, though I did substitute him in the second half.

Real Betis (4-3-3): Contreras; Rivas, Márquez, Juanito ©, Varela; Baha, Alè (Denílson 65), Assunção; Portillo (Dani 52), Fernando, Perko (Edú 52).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Adu 74), Ricardo Sousa, Conget © (Goitom 45); Sívori, Matteini.

Final score: Real Betis 2:1 Cartagena

MoM – Landry Bonnefoi

24th of September 2007

Freddy Adu out for season after damaging cruciate ligaments

USA international attacking midfielder Freddy Adu was today ruled out of football for up to eight months after tearing his cruciate ligaments during a freak training accident, sources at Cartagena confirmed. Adu was operated on in Madrid and will spend up to a week in hospital before returning to his native USA with his club’s blessing to work on a rehabilitation program devised by Cartagena physio, Josep Guardiola. Adu, who had made five appearances as substitute in Cartagena’s opening five games of the season, has already won 20 caps for the USA at the tender age of 18 and fans are hoping that he can continue his maturing as a player once he returns from this injury.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that’s very unfortunate news. I expected that Freddy Adu would be a significant part in our push to avoid relegation this season but he will be out until May 2008, at the earliest, which means that he will probably play no further part in our campaign. I just hope that the injury doesn’t curtail his career too badly and he can resume where he left off once he has returned from injury.

At least there is some good news for Bonnefoi, as he is named in the Primera Liga Team of the Week.

25th of September 2007

Davide Matteini is out of our clash with Levante on the weekend after spraining a wrist during training.

I’m informed by my press officer that Riccardo Cazzola has been speaking out of turn to the media about me leaving him out of our best eleven. Cazzola apparently used the media to put the pressure on me to play him. I’m not about to bow to that type of pressure from the 22 year old Italian.

29th of September 2007

Levante manager upbeat before clash with Cartagena

Señor Bernd Schuster told the media that his side was very confident of beating Cartagena in a clash that looks to be shaping up as an early decider for relegation spots. Cartagena’s impressive start to the season was derailed by a classier Real Betis outfit on the weekend and Señor Schuster said that Cartagena held no fears for his players who had gathered just three points from their opening 5 games of the season.

When asked for comment, Cartagena manager, Señor Dixie Flatline said that he admired his colleague for what he had achieved in the game and said that even though both clubs would be playing for the three points tomorrow, he and Señor Schuster were very good friends.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

30th of September 2007

Primera Liga – Game 6: Cartagena v Levante

Cartagena returns to winners list with comfortable 3-0 win over Levante

Cartagena bounced back from its defeat at the hands of Real Betis to record a relatively easy 3-0 win over Levante at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena this evening. Eduardo Conget and a brace to Sívori capped the scoring though truthfully, Cartagena could have had several more goals but for good goalkeeping by Cavallero. The win bolstered Cartagena’s position inside the top ten while gave food for thought to Levante manager Señor Schuster, who is staring an early battle against relegation in the face.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Conget’s goal was the product of slack marking by Levante, who left him free at the edge of the box when Míchel delivered his corner. The captain easily curling in from just inside on 33 minutes. Sívori made the game safe with a brace scored in the space of 4 minutes in the second half. On 49 minutes, Míchel knocked it to his namesake striker Míchel, who laid off to Sívori. The forward stepped past a couple of defenders before striking it nicely past Cavallero. Three minutes later, the trio combined for Sívori to again unhinge the Levante defence and making the points safe with a nice run and goal from Sívori.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 59), Ricardo Sousa (Nunens 74), Conget ©; Sívori, Míchel.

Levante (4-5-1): Cavallero; Harte, Reinhardt (Alexis 66), Steinwarth, Garrido; Bierofka, Reyna (Smertin 66), Grieneisen (Peralta 52), Enguix ©, Gera (inj 72); Congo.

Final score: Cartagena 3:0 Levante

MoM – Míchel (the striker)

1st of October 2007

Sebastian Svärd is nominated in the Primera Liga Team of the Week.

10th of October 2007

Ricardo Sousa makes his debut for Portugal in its 7-0 thrashing of the Faeroe Islands. Dalibor Stevanovic scored his first international goal for Slovenia as he converted a penalty in Slovenia’s 2-1 win over Wales.

13th of October 2007

On a late night phone-in, Real Madrid manager, Señor Vanderley Luxembergo praises me to high heaven, saying that he thinks I have the ability to save Cartagena from relegation. I’m sure that he feels quite smug about his position and believes he already has three points in the bag. But I decide to be friendly and respond in kind when asked for my opinion of my colleague.

14th of October 2007

Primera Liga – Game 7: Real Madrid v Cartagena

Well, we’re taught a football lesson by a team oozing with talent in all fields. Dudu Awate’s poor performances for Israel during the Euro Championship qualifiers leads me to decide to leave him out in favour of Bonnefoi but Davide Matteini returns at the expense of Míchel (the striker). However, neither Sívori nor Matteini really saw much of the ball as it spent most of its time in our defensive third. When we did manage to string some passes together, they were of the hit and hope variety which made it easy for Christian Chivu and Daniel Agger to deal with, which they did very effectively.

Michael Owen put us on the back foot as early as 4 minutes into the game when he dribbled with arrogant ease around Mullins before side-footing home past Bonnefoi. icon13.gif On 27 minutes, Owen drifted into an easy shooting position and tapped in Stankovic’s cross to make it 2-0 to the host and game over, effectively. Raúl bagged Real Madrid’s third goal on 80 minutes when he was afforded too much space and gave my defenders the runaround before coolly slotting in the far corner.

Real Madrid really could have crushed us this evening, with 27 shots at goal (14 on target) but they would be happy with the cruising 3-0 win they recorded. On the other hand, I can recognize that I need to get some more quality into the side in order to compete with the likes of Real Madrid.

Real Madrid (4-2-2-2): Casillas; Sergio (Roberto Carlos 61), Chivu, Agger, Míchel Salgado; Cambiasso, Iván Helguera; Robben (Sneijder 45), Stankovic; Raúl ©, Owen (Ronaldo 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 58), Ricardo Sousa (Stevanovic 80), Conget ©; Sívori (Míchel 58), Matteini.

Final score: Real Madrid 3:0 Cartagena

MoM – Dejan Stankovic

The loss drops us to ninth on the ladder after 7 games, with 11 points. We are currently 8 points clear of the relegation zone and 8 points behind the league leader Real Madrid, so we’re perfectly mid-table.

21st of October 2007

Primera Liga – Game 8: Cartagena v Mallorca

I’m a bit disappointed after this game as I believe we blew an opportunity to upset a side that looks to be riding high in the top four this season. Twice we took the lead only to be pegged back both times. Admittedly, Mallorca might also feel aggrieved as they had the better of the overall play but came away with only a point from a 2-2 draw. Against the run of play, Matteini won a penalty on 34 minutes when he was fouled by Jonathan in the box. The Italian striker duly converted and we held a 1-0 lead at half-time.

The lead evaporated on 57 minutes when Renato powered a header past Awate, despite close attention being paid to him by Mullins. However, we take the lead back with a superb display of counter-attacking football on 76 minutes when Green finds Sívori with a hurried clearance. Sívori looks up and spots the long run of Matteini through the centre of Mallorca’s defence. With so many players committed forward, Mallorca were stretched at the back and Matteini was able to gleefully go into the box and fire the ball past the Mallorca keeper to restore our lead. icon14.gif But Renato secures a point for the visitors when, despite close attention being paid to him by several of our defenders, he is able to turn in Arango’s cross on 81 minutes. icon_mad.gif

So close, yet so far.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 64), Ricardo Sousa, Conget © (Chaurant 64); Sívori, Matteini.

Mallorca (4-5-1): Gomes; Sebas (Poli 57), Iuliano, Jonathan (Niño 70), Cortés ©; Fábio Paim, Rasmussen (Arango 57), Parri, Traoré, Renato; Delibasic.

Final score: Cartagena 2:2 Mallorca

MoM – Renato

24th of October 2007

Copa del Rey – First Round: Córdoba v Cartagena

Cartagena ease into second round with comfortable 3-0 win

Cartagena showed true class this evening to breeze past a lacklustre Córdoba and waltz into the second round of the Copa del Rey. Goals to Matteini (2) and debutant Boudewijn Zenden sealed the result for Cartagena, who dominated in all facets of the game.

On the stroke of half-time, an intricate build-up featuring Zenden, Dalibor Stevanovic and Eduardo Conget freed Matteini inside the penalty box to side-foot home past the keeper for Cartagena to take a deserved 1-0 lead into half-time. Fifteen minutes into the second half, the host was reduced to ten men when Berruet was sent off for two yellow card offences, and Cartagena took full advantage. On 65 minutes, from Conget’s cross Zenden headed past the keeper to make it 2-0, while in injury time at the end of the game, Matteini was on hand to prod home the rebound from Goitom’s spilt shot to finish the scoring.

An emphatic victory and one that will give Cartagena a big boost of confidence ahead of their crunch match against Deportivo on the weekend.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that was a nice way to bounce back after the disappointment of drawing with Real Mallorca and being blown out of the water by Real Madrid. We looked very good in all aspects of the game, and Zenden in particular was keen to impress me. He is seriously under consideration for our next game. Riccardo Cazzola at right back also had a very good game and with Jordi Ferrón teetering on the edge of suspension in the league, he will come into consideration for replacing him if/when Ferrón is suspended.

Córdoba (4-4-2): Toño; Marc (Diego Maínz 60), Bouzón, Berruet © (s/o 60), David García; Jorge Pérez, Rubén Rodríguez (Serginho 65), Vrsic, Montenegro; Ortega, Sérvulo (Villa 49).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Vicente; Zenden, Stevanovic (Goitom 74), Conget ©; Sívori (Míchel 74), Matteini.

Final score: Córdoba 0:3 Cartagena

MoM – Davide Matteini

• 3 weeks later...

26th of October 2007

We can’t take a trick in the draw for the Second Round, as we’re drawn to face Levante, away from home. icon13.gif

27th of October 2007

Primera Liga – Game 9: Cartagena v Deportivo La Coruña

Sívori Super-Goal stuns Depor

A 30 yard strike from Sívori helped Cartagena upset highly fancied Deportivo La Coruña at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena this evening.

Despite having the better of the play, Depor could not find a way past the inspired Dudu Awate in goal for Cartagena, who made save after save to deny Depor the opening goal they so sorely craved.

Then the moment of truth – Davide Matteini stripped Walter Samuel of the ball and passed to Sívori, still some 35 yards from goal. The Spaniard strode forward a few yards then let fly with a dipping, swerving rocket of a shot that left Wiese without a chance of stopping. For the home fans, this was magnificent and it served to deflate the spirit of the visiting players. In the end, it was the goal that decided that match in favour of Cartagena and may go one to be contender for Goal of the Month.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very, very pleased to record this win. Everybody had us marked down to lose this and lose this comfortably, but our boys came out to play well and they did. Dudu Awate was excellent, repelling many attacks and ensuring that we were level with Depor until Sívori’s wonder-strike. A tremendous game all round.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 79), Ricardo Sousa, Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-2-3-1): Wiese; Pasanen, Samuel, Coloccini, Manuel Pablo; Duscher (Tuncay 45), Sergio ©; Guayre (Valerón 60), Júlio Baptista, Santamaría (Víctor 45); Berbatov.

Final score: Cartagena 1:0 Deportivo La Coruña

MoM – Dudu Awate

As predicted, Jordi Ferrón picks up his fifth booking of the league campaign (in just 9 games!) and is suspended for our next game.

1st of November 2007

Unfortunately, Sívori’s goal is not nominated for Goal of the Month.

4th of November 2007

On the eve of its next game, the Chairman of Alavés dismisses its manager, Señor Txetxu Rojo. I’m flattered to be linked to the vacancy and sure enough I’m approached by the Chairman to take over. Unfortunately, with only a small transfer budget and a ballooning wage budget (rumoured to be more than £400,000 over the limit) whomever takes on the role will find it difficult to lift the club out of relegation. I, for one, am not that person.

Primera Liga – Game 10: Racing Santander v Cartagena

We almost contrive to blow a precious away victory. At half-time, we were cruising to a 2-0 win, but a penalty given away by Awate on 65 minutes was converted by Marqués and then two minutes later, his poor clearance allowed Geni to stroll in and score an equalizing goal. Fortunately for Awate, substitute striker Míchel was able to score in the 80th minute what proved to be the winning goal.

But it is the other Míchel who should steal all the highlights for a gem of a game. He was involved in all our best moves. On 26 minutes, accepting Green’s short throw-in, Míchel curled a cross that seemed to almost drift over the line for a goalkick across the Racing box for Conget to nonchalantly tap in. icon14.gif Then, on 39 minutes, Mullins sends the free kick into a dangerous position, a couple of Racing defenders get muddled up and allow Sívori to sneak in and place the ball coolly in the back of the net. icon_biggrin.gif

But then Awate commits his howlers and we’re back to square one. In annoyance, I substitute the under-performing Matteini for Míchel, and it turns into an inspired move, as he starts the move that culminates in him scoring the winning goal. He sends the ball out left to Sívori, who cuts inside and crosses the ball low and hard for Míchel to score easily. icon14.gif

Apart from Awate’s poor game, a solid performance by us to mark our tenth game in the top flight.

Racing Santander (4-2-3-1): Córdoba; Rodríguez (Regragui 61), Juanma, Mora ©, Schmidt; Torrado, Matabuena; Paunovic (Geni 11), Alek, Jorge (Marqués 61); Jonathan.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Svärd; Míchel, Ricardo Sousa, Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 69).

Final score: Racing Santander 2:3 Cartagena

MoM – Míchel (the midfielder)[/b]

Here are the top ten in the League so far this season:

----------------------------------------------------------------

1st Real Madrid 10 8 2 0 29 6 +23 26

2nd Real Sociedad 10 6 3 1 18 9 +9 21

3rd Atletico Madrid 9 6 2 1 15 2 +13 20

4th Barcelona 9 6 2 1 15 3 +12 20

5th Mallorca 10 5 3 2 16 8 +8 18

6th Cartagena 10 5 3 2 18 12 +6 18

7th Villarreal 10 5 2 3 13 8 +5 17

8th Betis 10 5 1 4 15 18 -3 16

9th Deportivo 9 4 4 1 11 4 +7 16

10th Zaragoza 10 5 1 4 12 11 +1 16

</pre>

5th of November 2007

Not unsurprisingly, Míchel is named in the Primera Liga Team of the Week.

7th of November 2007

Copa del Rey – Second Round: Levante v Cartagena

It takes a double strike in the space of two minutes from Sipho Nunens to secure our progression into the third round this evening as Levante takes the lead on 10 minutes through Gaizka Saizar when he is allowed to drift in at the far post and fire the ball past Awate. icon_frown.gif However, our reward for our endeavours comes on 71 minutes when Nunens scores from just outside the box, with the aid of a somewhat fortuitous deflection off a Levante defender, to equalize the match. A couple of moments later, the South African secures our progression when he is spotted nicely by Goitom and bangs it past Cavallero in goal for Levante. icon14.gif

Levante (4-5-1): Cavallero; Harte, Alexis, Steinwarth, Lapaczinski (Pablo 62); Bierofka, Reyna (Smertin 62), Grieneisen, Enguix ©, Peralta; Gaizka Saizar (Congo 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Corino, Cazzola; Vicente; Zenden (Goitom 52), Nunens, Conget ©; Sívori (Míchel 84), Matteini.

Final score: Levante 1:2 Cartagena

MoM – Dudu Awate

The downside to our win is injuries suffered by Sívori and Cazzola. But both should be back in action within a week.

9th of November 2007

icon_mad.gif Our rotten luck with the draw for the Copa del Rey continues, as we’re drawn away from home for the third straight round this campaign to play Villarreal.

13th of November 2007

Oswaldo Chaurant has a whinge to the press that he is not being played. Unfortunately, the fans side with him – a Soccernet poll suggests that 87% of Cartagena’s fans reckon I’m wrong to leave him out.

14th of November 2007

Chaurant may have his chance to impress as Ricardo Sousa, who has been impressive for us so far this season, severely twists an ankle and will miss about a fortnight of football.

24th of November 2007

My abilities as a manager are defended by Mané, the manager of Real Zaragoza, ahead of our game tomorrow. Although privately insulted that he would play this type of mindgame, publicly, I praise my friend.

25th of November 2007

Primera Liga – Game 11: Real Zaragoza v Cartagena

Zaragoza inflicts upon us our second defeat of the season, thanks to Avalos’ 33rd minute goal. Awate surrendered possession with a poor clearance, and Luis García and Soriano played a clever interchange of passes to set up Avalos, who glanced his header past Awate to score the only goal of the game. To be truthful, though, our play across the 90 minutes probably wasn’t up to a proper standard to expect anything from this game, so the loss was deserved. Unfortunately, it sends us crashing down to tenth place, from sixth.

Real Zaragoza (4-3-2-1): Láinez; Riise (Aranzabal 60), Naldo, Ãlvaro ©, Gabri; Soriano, Ponzio, Cani; Luis García (Óscar 45), Varela; Avalos (Soldado 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 66), Chaurant (Stevanovic 82), Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 82)

Final score: Real Zaragoza 1:0 Cartagena

MoM – Fernando Soriano

28th of November 2007

Primera Liga – Game 12: Cartagena v Villarrea

We bounce back to record a good 2-0 win over Villarreal, featuring Javier Araújo. Goals in each half to Sívori and Goitom allow us to recover from our disappointing loss to Real Zaragoza on the weekend. The first goal was created on 36 minutes by some tenacity to win the ball back, then some good interchange of passing to open up the opportunity for Sívori to stroke the ball home from the edge of the box. icon14.gif Goitom secured the points for us on 82 minutes when again, some clever passing opened up the defence for the Swede, and taking advantage of Villarreal choosing not to close him down, he cut inside the box and slid the ball past the Villarreal keeper’s outstretched hand into the bottom far corner.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 74), Stevanovic (Chaurant 85), Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 85).

Villarreal (4-4-2): Reina; González, Rodríguez, Edmílson ©, Scaloni; Araújo, Depetris (Guerrero 62), Celades, Fritz (Armando 62); Elmander (Forlán 74), Marica.

Final score: Cartagena 2:0 Villarreal

MoM –Dalibor Stevanovic

1st of December 2007

The registration window opens. I drop Nákor and the injured Freddy Adu, replacing them with Cherno Samba and Jurica Vucko.

2nd of December 2007

Primera Liga – Game 13: Cartagena v Athletic Bilbao

I name an unchanged eleven for our match with Athletic, and they are parties to a cracking match which ends favourably for us. Athletic, despite being mired in a relegation battle, come out and play some positive football and keep us on the back foot. However, we’re beginning to master the quick, incisive breakaway style of football and on 32 minutes, we strike, as Sívori benefits from a lovely throughball from Matteini, who received the ball from a clever clearing header by Mullins. Sívori fends off a defender and slides the ball past the Athletic keeper to give us a 1-0 lead at half-time.

Athletic equalize on 57 minutes when Iraola, looking for a cross, ends up lobbing Awate, who is poorly positioned. icon13.gif However, we take the lead back on 71 minutes when Conget, Matteini and Chaurant, on for the injured Stevanovic, play the ball intelligently for the advantage of Sívori, who again uses his strength to shield the ball from the Athletic defence just long enough to find the back of the net. icon_smile.gif On 81 minutes, Goitom, on the for the tiring Conget, is well-positioned to take the cross from Míchel and lash it into the back of the net to basically secure us the points.

However, Athletic get a sniff of a result when a comedy of errors committed first by Chaurant and then by Awate gift Urzaiz a goal on 83 minutes to make it 3-2 and with enough time for Athletic to square the ledger. However, a fine solo effort from Goitom on 86 minutes makes the points safe this time. Picking the ball up in his own half, the Swede carried it to within the Athletic penalty box before squeezing it past the Athletic keeper into the back of the net to score his second and our fourth for the game. icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel, Stevanovic (Chaurant 45), Conget © (Goitom 73); Sívori, Matteini.

Athletic Bilbao (4-4-2): Aranzubia; Garrido (Iraola 45), Luis Prieto, Zubizarreta, Lacruz (César 57); Ezquerro, Bordas, Gurpegi, Etxeberria ©; Urzaiz, Azkorra (Lizoain 72).

Final score: Cartagena 4:2 Athletic Bilbao

MoM – Míchel

The result pushes us back into sixth place in the league, eight points behind league leader Real Madrid, and, more importantly, 18 points clear of 18th-placed Alavés and relegation.

9th of December 2007

Primera Liga – Game 14: Sevilla v Cartagena

This is a disappointing game for us, as we race to a 2-0 lead but in the end need to settle for a 2-2 draw. Sívori nets for us on 6 minutes when his shot from the edge of the area takes a slight deflection and beats the keeper into the back of the net. Sousa doubles our lead four minutes later when the exact same thing happens again – Sousa takes a shot from the edge of the area, and it deflects off the same Sevilla defender into the back of the net. icon_biggrin.gif But our good fortune is reversed early in the second half when the home side strikes twice in the space of two minutes. Navas bends a beautiful pass that cuts out my defenders and puts the ball into the path of Delgado, who does not need to break stride to pass it underneath Awate’s legs into the back of the net. icon_frown.gif Two minutes later, Delgado is fouled by Mullins, and Kahlenberg steps up to bend the ball around the wall and into the far corner of the net. icon_mad.gif Having held a comfortable 2-0 lead at half-time and to blow it in such a meek manner is intensely frustrating.

Sevilla (4-4-2): Esteban; Simunic, José, Hitchen (Ramos 66), Sagnol ©; Beasley, Fernando Sales, Kahlenberg, Jesús Navas (Israel 74); Delgado (Aranda 66), Antoñito.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Chaurant 72), Ricardo Sousa (Goitom 62), Conget ©; Sívori (Míchel 88), Matteini.

Final score: Sevilla 2:2 Cartagena

MoM – DaMarcus Beasley

16th of December 2007

Primera Liga – Game 15: Cartagena v Valencia

Again, we take the lead against a more illustrious opponent, only to be pegged back and need to settle for the draw. Things began badly for us when our captain, Eduardo Conget, was sent off on 12 minutes for a particularly nasty foul on Sissoko. However, it highlights the inconsistency of the refereeing this season, with other similar fouls committed this season receiving only a booking.

But despite the numerical disadvantage we take the lead when Matteini, played in beautifully by Ferrón, smashes the ball into the back of Valencia’s net off the post on 40 minutes! icon14.gif The plan is to hold on to the slender lead and possibly sneak another goal, but it comes undone on 57 minutes when we lose possession in midfield and following some neat interchange of passes, Sissoko is free to fire from the edge of the area, with the ball hitting our net despite the despairing dive of Dudu Awate.

Still, with the amount of possession Valencia enjoyed in the second half, a draw was a good result for us in the end.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Míchel (Goitom 37), Ricardo Sousa, Conget © (s/o 12); Sívori (Vicente 71), Matteini (Míchel 84).

Valencia (4-4-2): Cañizares; Cole, Marchena, O’Shea, Curro Torres; Xisco (Canobbio 68), Sissoko (Fiore 68), Baraja ©, Angulo; Mista (Podolski 78), Pizarro.

Final score: Cartagena 1:1 Valencia

MoM – Dudu Awate

After the game, I instruct our solicitors to lodge an official appeal with the Spanish FA over the red card offence, despite their advice that it was bound to fail.

17th of December 2007

Sure enough, the Spanish FA refuses our appeal and adds a further two matches onto Conget’s automatic one-match ban. I give him an official warning for his dismissal, which he accepts.

22nd of December 2007

Primera Liga – Game 16: Murcia v Cartagena

Our last game for the year is against a local rival, so this is a derby match the Board would like to win. We give them what they want, with a comfortable 3-1 win. Almost two minutes into injury time at the end of the first half, Ferrón strips a Murcia player of the ball and crosses invitingly for Sívori to score a rare headed goal to give us the impetus going into half-time. Matteini makes it 2-0 on 51 minutes when Goitom picks off a poor pass, finds Sívori who passes the ball to the Italian striker. Matteini turns his defender and slides the ball past the Murcia keeper into the far corner of the net. icon14.gif

But we lose concentration momentarily and allow Murcia to score. We commit too many players in midfield and lose possession. The Nigerian striker Uche gains possession of the ball and with reduced numbers in defence, he is allowed to exchange passes with Alonso before neatly finishing past Bonnefoi, in goal for the injured Awate. But we complete the job in injury time when Chaurant is left all alone on the right flank to cross for Matteini, advancing into the box, and he calmly finishes past the Murcia keeper.

A good result after a couple of frustrating draws.

Murcia (4-1-2-1-2): Olave; Lupidio, Cuadrado (Urzelai 64), Maciel, Juanma; Sosa ©; Tomás, Natxo (Pulido 51); Figueroa (Uche 64); Alonso, Karanka.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate (Bonnefoi 33); Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Zenden (Stevanovic 78), Ricardo Sousa (Chaurant 45), Goitom (inj. 82); Sívori, Matteini.

Final score: Murcia 1:3 Cartagena

MoM – Davide Matteini

Awate bruised his ribs and will miss three days. However, we have some time before our next game – a visit to Atlético Madrid on the 6th of January 2008.

6th of January 2008

Primera Liga – Game 17: Cartagena v Atlético Madrid

Again, for the third time out of four games, we have to settle for a point. This time, our visitors take the lead when on 33 minutes, Guerao finds a paddock of free space inside the box to turn in Colsa’s corner. icon_frown.gif But Matteini rescues a point for us on 53 minutes when he meets Sívori’s cross to head past the keeper. This evening was a tight struggle with chances at a premium for both sides and a draw was probably the fair result.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Zenden (Chaurant 45), Sousa (Stevanovic 69), Goitom (Cazzola 90); Sívori, Matteini.

Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Lastuvka; Maier (Nery 45), Guerao, Pinola, Jiranek; Taddei (Bystron 54), Colsa ©, Luccin, José Mari; Arizmendi (Nadson 45), Fernando Torres.

Final score: Cartagena 1:1 Atlético Madrid

MoM – Davide Matteini

9th of January 2008

Copa del Rey – Third Round, First Leg: Villarreal v Cartagena

Talk about a match of contrasting halves – in the first half, Villarreal dominated proceedings and deserved their 2-0 lead. But a double strike from Sipho Nunens rescued the tie for us and gave us a slight advantage heading into the second leg.

Martin Andresen put the host ahead on 3 minutes when he buried a free kick past Bonnefoi to open the scoring. icon_mad.gif He doubled the lead on 18 minutes when he bent the ball from around 25 yards around a group of defenders and beyond Bonnefoi’s reach into the top far corner. A fabulous strike, but it does nothing to ease my temper at the half-time break.

But Villarreal suffer a string of injuries, including to their first choice keeper. With all their substitutes used, Jonathan Spector dons the jersey and the gloves. However, he is soon called upon to pick the ball out of the net as Sívori sends the ball across goal for Nunens to tap in at the near post. icon14.gif Sívori then proceeded to have himself sent off, but that only serves to equalize the number of players each side has on the pitch. With a clever interchange of passing, the opportunity opens up for Nunens to shoot from the edge of the area, past Sorín, who had taken over from Spector after he conceded the first goal.

Villarreal (4-4-2): Reina (inj. 61); Sorín, Rodríguez, Spector, Armando; Araújo (Nowotny 14), Depetris (inj. 77), Andresen ©, Fritz (Celades 9); Elmander, Marica (Forlán 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Paredes, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Svärd; Zenden (Goitom 45), Nunens, Conget ©; Míchel, Vucko (Sívori 45 (s/o 71)).

Final score: Villarreal 2:2 Cartagena

MoM – Sipho Nunens

13th of January 2008

Primera Liga – Game 18: Barcelona v Cartagena

It’s our first trip ever to the Nou Camp to play Barcelona, who have been superbly managed by Señor José Mourinho who replaced Señor Frank Rikjaard, the latter having left to take over AC Milan.

I tried to lessen the pressure on my players by publicly praising Señor Mourinho’s work, painting ourselves as the underdogs with nothing to lose. But the ploy fails spectacularly as Samuel Eto’o scores a hat-trick in the opening 34 minutes of the game to effectively put us to the sword. The Cameroonian international’s first goal comes on 4 minutes when slick work by Ronaldinho opens us up like a tin of sardines, his pass freeing Eto’o to sidestep Gaardsøe before driving the ball into the net past Bonnefoi’s outstretched left hand. icon13.gif Four minutes later, we’re 2-0 down with the match over when Eto’o is played in behind my defence by Yeste and slips the ball past the onrushing Bonnefoi, who had contributed to the goal thanks to a poor clearance which had ignored my instructions to play it short and safe to the defenders. Eto’o completed his hat-trick on 34 minutes when he was left unmarked at a Riquelme corner by Cazzola and was able to bullet a header into our net. icon_frown.gif

Such was the dominance of Barcelona that we really could have been buried, and we only managed one off-target shot in response. Not a good night, by our standards.

Barcelona (4-3-3): Víctor Valdés; Bouma (C. Ronaldo 61), Milito, Gallas, Puyol ©; Yeste (Belletti 45), Motta, Riquelme; Ronaldinho, Eto’o, Saviola (Asamoah 45).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Ferrón; Svärd; Goitom (Míchel 58), Nunens (Ricardo Sousa 58), Chaurant; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 77).

Final score: Barcelona 3:0 Cartagena

MoM – Samuel Eto’o

16th of January 2008

Copa del Rey – Third Round, Second Leg: Cartagena v Villarreal

Holding a slight advantage from a 2-2 draw away from home, I hope we can press it home and get through to the quarter-finals for the first time in the club’s history. Two goals from Míchel on 22 and 36 minutes put us in the box seat. Some clever play by Conget and Nunens allowed Míchel a simple opportunity from 5 yards on 22 minutes. Then on 36 minutes, Vicente fired a wonderful 30 yard ball in front of Míchel who without breaking stride ran onto it and guided it into the far corner.

But we allowed complacency to dictate our play in the early stages of the second half, and Villarreal lifted. Ciprian Marica breathed life into the tie a minute into the second half when he latched on to Araújo’s superb cross and smashed it home from close range. icon_mad.gif On 77 minutes, the same combination worked a treat to bring Villarreal level on the evening and on the tie, with some help by Bonnefoi’s hesitation about coming for Araújo’s cross. icon13.gif

So the tie entered extra-time with it up for grabs. Fortunately, Matteini stepped up in the 119th minute to secure our passage through to the next round. From a partially cleared corner, Goitom found Matteini, who allowed the ball to run to perfection before striking it home without hesitation into the far corner of the net. A superb goal that won us through to the next round.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Ferrón (Svärd 68); Vicente; Míchel (Chaurant 86), Nunens (Goitom 61), Conget ©; Míchel, Matteini.

Villarreal (4-4-2): López Vallejo; Sorín ©, Rodríguez, Spector, Armando; Araújo, Depetris (Forlán 63), Celades (Javi Guerrero 63), Arrieta (Senna 63); Elmander (inj. 90), Marica.

Final score: Cartagena 3:2 Villarreal (aet)

Aggregate score: Cartagena 5:4 Villarrea

MoM – Míchel

18th of January 2008

Liberian international winger Dulee Johnson joins our club on a free transfer from Häcken.

20th of January 2008

Primera Liga – Game 19: Cartagena v Osasuna

Despite everything we throw at Osasuna this evening, we come out with only a 1-0 win thanks to Davide Matteini’s injury-time strike at the end of the game. We completely dominate proceedings, but Osasuna’s keeper plays a blinder and keeps all but one shot out. Fortunately, Osasuna have nothing going forward, so by dint of that shot, we take all three points.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi, Paredes, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Míchel, Ricardo Sousa (Goitom 64), Conget © (Chaurant 17); Sívori, Matteini.

Osasuna (3-5-2): Arenas; Miguel Flaño, Cruchaga, Paulsen Hangeland; Kruppke, Gökdeniz (Demo 61), Gerard, Alexandre Fávaro (Puñal 71), Ibarra; Maxi López ©, Pachón (Zalayeta 61).

Final score: Cartagena 1:0 Osasuna

MoM – Libis Andrés Arenas

22nd of January 2008

Cartagena pulls off transfer coup

Cartagena announced today that they will sign Italian international attacking midfielder Enzo Maresca from Fiorentina on a Bosman free transfer in the summer of 2008. Cartagena beat off a host of interested clubs, including Chelsea, Roma and Juventus to land the Italian international. The cultured Italian, who has 14 international caps and 1 international goal, commenced his career at Cagliari, before having a season at West Brom back in 1998/99, before joining Juventus. However, he could not break into Juve’s best eleven, and was farmed out on loan to Bologna and Piacenza, before joining Il Viola at the start of the 2004/05 season, earning his first cap for Italy against Chile on the 9th of February 2005.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Copa del Rey – Quarter Final, First Leg: Cartagena v Athletic Bilbao

Unfortunately, we waste our home advantage in the first leg by drawing 0-0 with Athletic. Overall, we probably have the better of the play but we seem to lack a cutting edge up front, with Matteini and Sívori subdued by their relatively lofty standards. It’s down to the midfielders to provide the cut and thrust, but despite good efforts from Goitom and Ricardo Sousa, the final score consists of doughnuts, which favours Athletic at this stage.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Bonnefoi; Paredes, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Míchel (Chaurant 68), Ricardo Sousa, Goitom; Sívori (Míchel 68), Matteini.

Athletic Bilbao (4-4-2): Aranzubia; Garrido (Lacruz 17), Karanka, Luis Prieto, Iraola; Jonan, Tiko, Bordas, Etxeberría ©; Arriaga (Azkorra 45), Ezquerro (Urzaiz 45).

Final score: Cartagena 0:0 Athletic Bilbao

MoM – Henok Goitom

25th of January 2008

I’m approached by an agent purporting to be representing Angolan international striker Mantorras, who has put together a video dossier of his performance for Angola against Liberia. Mantorras, a Benfica player who holds a Portuguese passport, scores a hat-trick and sets up another goal as Angola demolishes Liberia 5-1. From what I can see, Mantorras likes to lurk in or around the penalty box, with two of his three goals coming from about 6-10 yards from goal. The third is a nice finish from the edge of the box. I submit an enquiry to Benfica about him, but I wouldn’t be annoyed if I missed out on him.

Incidentally, Dulee Johnson played for Liberia but was fairly ineffectual as a striker.

27th of January 2008

I sign 32 year old former Brazilian international attacking midfielder Juninho from Deportivo La Coruña for an initial outlay of £50,000. The former Lyon and Vasco player lacks a yard of pace, but is still very creative and very skilful on the ball and will prove an asset as a squad player.

Primera Liga – Game 20: Alavés v Cartagena

For the second game in succession, we fail to find the back of the net despite enjoying the better part of the play. We lose Davide Matteini to injury after 13 minutes, and undoubtedly that set us back a little, but with the amount of possession we have, we should have done better than the 0-0 scoresheet, which flatters the league’s bottom club. Nevertheless, the result leaves us firmly in mid-table after 20 games, so that’s something.

Alavés (4-4-2): Young-Kwang; Ãngel, Fran (Téllez 62), Sarriegi, Hughes; Kily González, Casquero, Astudillo ©, van der Meyde (Ãlex 30); Aílton, Bruno Mezenga.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Míchel (Samba 69), Ricardo Sousa (Chaurant 65), Goitom; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 13)

Final score: Alavés 0:0 Cartagena

MoM – Sebastian Svärd

So, after 20 league games, the ladder looks like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Barcelona 21 16 3 2 52 11 +41 51

2nd Real Madrid 20 15 2 3 48 14 +34 47

3rd Deportivo 21 14 5 2 36 9 +27 47

4th Real Sociedad 21 13 4 4 35 20 +15 43

5th Mallorca 21 12 5 4 29 15 +14 41

6th Real Zaragoza 20 12 2 6 25 17 +8 38

7th Valencia 20 10 7 3 31 14 +17 37

8th Real Betis 20 12 1 7 35 32 +3 37

9th At. Madrid 21 10 5 6 39 23 +16 35

10th Cartagena 20 9 7 4 32 23 +9 34

11th Villarreal 21 9 3 9 26 25 +1 30

12th Osasuna 20 7 6 7 22 24 -2 27

13th Cadiz 20 7 3 10 20 32 -12 24

14th Sevilla 20 5 4 11 29 35 -6 19

15th Levante 20 3 3 14 13 40 -27 12

16th Cordoba 20 3 3 14 13 38 -25 12

17th Athletic 20 3 2 15 18 49 -31 11

-----------------------------------------------------------------

18th Murcia 21 3 2 16 10 37 -27 11

19th Racing 21 3 2 16 13 40 -27 11

20th Alaves 20 1 5 14 11 39 -28 8

</pre>

I’m informed by my physio that Míchel (the midfielder) tore a groin muscle and will miss a month. The media asks me whether his loss will be a cause for concern. So far this season Míchel hasn’t been our best player, and his creativity in terms of goal assists is down substantially, so while he will be missed, I think we have adequate cover for him.

One of those players might be Juninho, who officially completes his move after the Alavés game is finished.

Benfica want £9 million for Mantorras. I’m not prepared to part with such a sum for a player who while good, isn’t yet a stand-out, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

30th of January 2008

Copa del Rey – Quarter Final, Second Leg: Athletic Bilbao v Cartagena

Although Davide Matteini escaped injury against Alavés, he is unavailable to us through injury, which means that Míchel steps up to partner Sívori. With Míchel, the midfielder injured, Henok Goitom swaps flanks and Oswaldo Chaurant comes in on the right. New signing Juninho sits on the bench, along with Sipho Nunens.

Thanks to an incisive set of passes between Míchel, Chaurant and Ricardo Sousa, Sívori is given the opportunity to open the scoring on 17 minutes, and from inside the box he doesn’t miss. icon14.gif Courtesy of the forward’s goal, we hold on to an important 1-0 lead at half-time, knowing that even a 1-1 draw would secure our progress through to the semi-finals.

But just seconds into the second half, Athletic Bilbao hits back, as a poor pass from Cristian Green is picked off by Javier Garrido, who finds Jonan on the left flank. Jonan fires the ball ahead of Ezquerro, who gets to the by-line and pulls the ball back. Somewhat unfortunately for us, it strikes Gaardsøe along the way, ballooning the ball above Awate and my defenders. In the ensuing scramble, Arriaga is able to bundle the ball over the line for the equaliser.

Then Awate is somewhat at fault for the second Athletic goal, on 66 minutes. Mullins gave away a free kick within range of Tiko, who bends the ball around the wall and into the back of the net, despite Awate getting a hand to the shot. icon_mad.gif

On 72 minutes, I decide to substitute the tiring Ricardo Sousa and Chaurant for Nunens and Juninho respectively, and they manage to galvanise our side into action. However, it is Sebastian Svärd who plays the ball to the feet of Sívori who uses Nunens as a shield while he fires the ball into the far corner of the Athletic net to level the scores on 74 minutes. Then Nunens, relishing his opportunity to boss the midfield, is instrumental in creating our third goal for Míchel. The South African international exchanges passes with Goitom before setting free the striker who doesn’t miss from close range, in the process securing our progress to the semi-finals.

Athletic Bilbao (4-4-2): Aranzubia; Garrido (Zubizarreta 62), César, Luis Prieto, Iraola ©; Jonan (Orbaiz 66), Tiko, Gurpegi, Iturriaga (Azkorra 62); Arriaga, Ezquerro.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Goitom, Ricardo Sousa (Nunens 72), Chaurant (Juninho 72); Sívori, Míchel.

Final score: Athletic Bilbao 2:3 Cartagena

Aggregate score: Athletic Bilbao 2:3 Cartagena

MoM – Sívori

1st of February 2008

With the transfer and registration windows closing last night, let’s briefly look at the squad at around the half-way point of the season.

Goalkeepers

Dudu Awate (30 y/o, ISR 30 caps, GK – 18 apps, 17 conceded, 6 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.44): 18 apps, 17 conceded, 6 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.44

Landry Bonnefoi (24 y/o, FRA, GK – 48(1) apps, 44 conceded, 25 clean sheets, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.31): 8(1) apps, 13 conceded, 3 clean sheets, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.56

Although Awate is certainly experienced at international level, with 30 caps for Israel, I feel that perhaps I could have signed a better keeper during the summer. Awate is certainly good on his day, but unfortunately he shares with Bonnefoi a characteristic inconsistency which means that we concede some goals we shouldn’t. Although we have a positive goal difference in the league after 20 games and we’re through to the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey, I think I’ll be looking for a new keeper.

Bonnefoi has done alright when I’ve turned to him to cover in the absence of Awate through injury or suspension, but again, I do not think that Bonnefoi, at this stage in his career, is a player who can be trusted with the crucial position of goalkeeper in a Primera Liga side.

Defenders

Sergio Corino (33 y/o, ESP, SW/D C – 65 apps, 6 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.39): 2 apps, av. rating: 7.50

Hayden Mullins (28 y/o, ENG, SW/D C – 62(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.37): 26 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.31

Thomas Gaardsøe (28 y/o, DEN 3 caps, D C – 31(1) apps, av. rating: 7.35): 24 apps, av. rating: 7.42

Jordi Ferrón (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM R – 34(2) apps, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.39): 18 apps, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.39

Cristian Green (30 y/o, ARG, D/DM RL – 64 apps, av. rating: 7.20): 25 apps, av. rating: 7.16

Riccardo Cazzola (22 y/o, ITA, D/DM RC – 54(3) apps, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09): 4(1) apps, av. rating: 7.80

Javi Paredes (25 y/o, ESP, D/DM L – 31(3) apps, av. rating: 7.20): 5(1) apps, av. rating: 7.17

For most of the season, I’ve used a back four of Green, Mullins, Gaardsøe and Ferrón, which means that players such as Corino, Cazzola and Paredes have had limited opportunities. However, the absence through injury of Ferrón has opened a window of opportunity for Paredes to impress me and to regain his position on the left side of defence that was his before injury forced me to leave him out last season. So far, I’ve been reasonably happy with my defence, who do a good job in defending against most attacks we come up against. But the match against Barcelona was an eye-opener for me, as Eto’o used his pace and close control to really skin my defenders alive that evening. So, looking forward, I might be looking to replace some of my current crop of defenders with faster players who are capable of matching it with the quicker strikers in this division. Alas for Sergio Corino, I think his career here is drawing to a close, as his contract expires at the end of the season, and I’m not sure whether I’ll renew it.

Midfielders

Sebastian Svärd (25 y/o, DEN, D/DM RC – 52(1) apps, 5 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.57): 23(1) apps, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.38

Vicente (32 y/o, ESP, D/DM C – 19(1) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.30): 3(1) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.50

Eduardo Conget (30 y/o, ESP, DM RC – 132(5) apps, 9 goals, 29 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.16): 20 apps, 2 goals, 7 assists, av. rating: 7.00

Sipho Nunens (25 y/o, RSA 17 caps, 1 goal, M C – 18(7) apps, 9 goals, 4 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.36): 4(4) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.75

Oswaldo Chaurant (23 y/o, VEN 28 caps, 5 goals, AM RLC – 13(18) apps, 9 goals, 7 assists, av. rating: 7.22): 3(10) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.92

Juninho (33 y/o, BRA 34 caps, 2 goals, AM RLC – 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00): 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00

Míchel (32 y/o, ESP, AM LC – 69(3) apps, 5 goals, 36 assists, 19 MoMs, av. rating: 7.88): 15(1) apps, 4 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.44

Boudewijn Zenden (31 y/o, NED 62 caps, 8 goals, AM LC – 5 apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.80): 5 apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.80

Ricardo Sousa (29 y/o, POR 1 cap, AM C – 17(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.89): 17(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.89

Dalibor Stevanovic (23 y/o, SLV 14 caps, 1 goal, AM C – 23(5) apps, 9 goals, 10 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.54): 4(4) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.50

Henok Goitom (23 y/o, SWE, AM/F RLC – 10(15) apps, 4 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32): 10(15) apps, 4 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32

This season, I’ve been forced to pick a variety of players to fill the midfield roles, although Svärd, fortunately, has been just about an ever-present in my best eleven. Míchel, our star player in the Segunda Liga, began the season with an injury and he hasn’t yet recovered his best form. Indeed, he has suffered from an injury-disrupted season and I’m sure he’s feeling frustrated that he can’t get out there to weave his magic. In any event, at 32, he is beginning to slow down and I’m approaching his absence as an opportunity to try out other players in his position.

Another disappointment has been the form of Ricardo Sousa. He earned his first international cap for Portugal after a good run of form, but only 2 goals and one assist from 18 appearances means that he hasn’t been as productive as I would like him to be. On some occasions, I just couldn’t justify him in our best eleven and he’s had to sit out some matches. On the other hand, Stevanovic just hasn’t quite lived up to his raw talent and has not seized his opportunities when presented to him. Similarly, Sipho Nunens looks like a million dollars in cup games, but when I’ve tried him in league matches, he’s been very disappointing.

Eduardo Conget, like Míchel, has also suffered from a disrupted season and I’m sure the club’s captain hopes that once his current injury is behind him, he’ll be able to carry on uninterrupted until the end of the season. However, at 30 and with signs of deterioration in his general play, I might be looking for a new right winger.

Henok Goitom has been a very good player for us and I hope that he can continue his form through until the end of the season. His versatility has seen him play on the left and right and through the centre, and his ability with the ball has meant that we’ve seen something creative from him in almost every game he has played. At 23, he is still young enough to learn plenty about the game and to improve his overall performance. During the first half of the season, I was publicly questioned by the fans over my continued decision not to include Chaurant in my starting eleven. Unfortunately for the Venezuelan, I do not think he’s quite up to the mark, but through injuries and suspension, he has had his chance. He needs to continue working very hard on the training track, else he will find himself slipping down the pecking order once my preferred players become available again.

Forwards

Dulee Johnson (23 y/o, LIB 19 caps, 3 goals, FC): 0 apps

Nákor (29 y/o, ESP, F RC - 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00): 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00

Samba (22 y/o, ENG, F RC – 0(14) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.64): 0(1) app, av. rating: 6.00

Freddy Adu (18 y/o, USA 20 caps, 2 goals – 0(9) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.00): 0(5) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Sívori (31 y/o, ESP, F C – 129(5) apps, 76 goals, 27 assists, 14 MoMs, av. rating: 7.40): 23(1) apps, 12 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.33

Davide Matteini (25 y/o, ITA, S C – 55(1) apps, 33 goals, 12 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.59): 23 apps, 12 goals, 4 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.48

Míchel (30 y/o, ESP, S C – 5(13) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.39): 5(13) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.39

Jurica Vucko (31 y/o, CRO 3 caps, S C – 15(15) apps, 13 goals, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.23): 1 app, av. rating: 5.00

My main strikers of Sívori and Matteini have found things a little more difficult in the higher division, but they are still scoring goals, and with good support from Míchel, we are definitely not toothless in front of goal. Vucko is on his way out – his contract expires at the end of the season, he is a non-EU citizen and he is on the wrong side of 30. Freddy Adu would have played many more games but for his season-ending knee injury, while I made a mistake in signing Nákor – fortunately his contract also expires. Dulee Johnson and Samba have made little impact so far.

We’re drawn to play Real Betis in the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey.

3rd of February 2008

Primera Liga – Game 21: Cartagena v Cádiz

Cartagena puts four past Cádiz in confident display

Cartagena put on a display of confident football to record an easy 4-0 win in front of a parochial home crowd at the Estadio Municipal de Cartagena. All four goals came in the second half, with three coming inside the last ten minutes. Matteini put Cartagena in front on 51 minutes heading Ricardo Sousa’s setpiece past Jorquera in goal for Cádiz. Then on 81 minutes, Jorquera was sent off for a professional foul on Matteini, who picked himself up and easily converted the resulting penalty to secure the points. A man down, without a specialist keeper in the net, Cádiz folded like a deck of cards. Debutant, Dulee Johnson, was able to run free down the right wing before crossing superbly for Sívori to turn in from close range. Ricardo Sousa rounded out the scoring with a goal from a setpiece which took a deflection off the Cádiz wall, wrongfooting stand-in keeper David Alejo completely.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it’s nice to celebrate a relatively easy victory, although Cádiz certainly made us work hard to get that first goal. Sometimes, when a team goes a man down, they become ultra-defensive and it becomes even more difficult to score a goal, but Jorquera’s dismissal was the catalyst for three goals that put our stamp on the win. After grounding out some results over the past few weeks, to see this scoresheet post-match was to reflect upon a job well done by the boys.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Goitom (Juninho 73), Ricardo Sousa, Chaurant (Johnson 73); Sívori, Matteini.

Cádiz (3-5-2): Jorquera (s/o 81); Mario (López 65), Bréchet, Amaya; Sesma, Bolaños (Hollmann 65), Giacomazzi ©, Gargiulo, Gallardo; Jankauskas, Ortiz (Alejo 51).

Final score: Cartagena 4:0 Cádiz

MoM – Davide Matteini

The result lifts us into ninth place.

4th of February 2008

Three Cartagena players are named in the Primera Liga Team of the Week, being Javi Paredes, Hayden Mullins and Davide Matteini.

Luis García to join Cartagena

Cartagena will add explosive forward Luis García to its squad in the summer after the Mallorca player turned down an offer of a contract extension to sign on with Cartagena. Having been frozen out of first team calculations by Mallorca manager, Señor Antonio Maceda, García declared himself delighted to sign with such a well-supported club. The 26 year old will battle with Sívori and Matteini for a position in the first eleven, but García believes that he will prove his worth to his new manager once the new season begins.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10th of February 2008

Primera Liga – Game 22: Real Sociedad v Cartagena

The good morale in the dressing room after the Cádiz game evaporates after we put in an insipid performance against a well-drilled Real Sociedad outfit. The 2-0 scoreline in favour of our host probably flatters us to a certain extent, as we are outplayed in just about every area of the game this evening. Unfortunately, Eduardo Conget’s first start in several weeks after recovering from a groin injury coincides with a terrible dip in the level of his performance and I’m forced to substitute him at half-time. By that stage, we are already two goals down. The first came thanks to André Bahía’s goal on 20 minutes from a López Rekarte corner. icon13.gif

The second goal is conceded just moments before the referee draws the first half to a close. Igor Gabilondo, the Real Sociedad captain, streams down the left flank before neatly passing the ball to a completely wide open Nelson Haedo Valdez who has no trouble beating Awate at his near post. icon_mad.gif

This game is a write-off and undoes our good work from the previous weekend.

Real Sociedad (4-4-2): Rüstü; Arruabarrena, André Bahía, Jauregi (Kalla 62), López Rekarte; Gabilondo ©, Blasi, Aranburu, Freier; Haedo Valdez (Chun-Soo 62), Nihat (Kovacevic 72).

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Goitom, Ricardo Sousa (Johnson 76), Conget © (Juninho 45); Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 76).

Final score: Real Sociedad 2:0 Cartagena

MoM – Igor Gabilondo

13th of February 2008

Primera Liga – Game 23: Cartagena v Córdoba

We have an opportunity to go back on to the winners’ list with a match against relegation-threatened Córdoba. But unfortunately, despite the best efforts of Goitom, Sívori and Ricardo Sousa, the game remains scoreless after 90 minutes as Córdoba does a good job at defending in numbers while their goalkeeper plays a very good game.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes, Mullins, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Goitom, Ricardo Sousa, Conget ©; Sívori, Matteini.

Córdoba (4-4-2): Toño; Marc, Maínz, Iacolenna, Juanmi (Óscar Pérez 72); Jorge Pérez, Carlos (Sarmiento 62), Vrsic (Ramos 72), Montenegro; Diego ©, Sérvulo.

Final score: Cartagena 0:0 Córdoba

MoM – Toño

17th of February 2008

Primera Liga – Game 24: Cartagena v Real Betis

We will take a slight psychological edge into our Copa del Rey semi-final clash with Betis after a brace to Henok Goitom secures all three points this evening. The Swedish attacking midfielder opens the scoring four minutes before half-time when he accepts a brilliant through-ball from Sipho Nunens (in for the injured Sousa) and blazes it past the Betis keeper from a very narrow angle. icon14.gif His second goal comes on 54 minutes when he is left unmarked at a corner and is found by Svärd, the shot cannoning off an unfortunate Betis defender. Betis pulls a goal back through substitute Dani in injury time at the end of the game, but there is not sufficient time for them to grab an undeserved equalizer.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Paredes (Cazzola 70), Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Green; Svärd; Goitom, Nunens (Stevanovic 90), Johnson; Sívori, Matteini (Míchel 70).

Real Betis (4-2-3-1): Contreras; Edu, Márquez, Juanito ©, Lembo; Assunção, Alè (Dani 55); Denílson (Edú 67), Fernando, Joaquín; Portillo (Harbuzi 45).

Final score: Cartagena 2:1 Real Betis

MoM – Henok Goitom

Unfortunately, the win is soured somewhat by a severe back strain suffered by Javi Paredes in the course of the match. It will keep him out of football for 3 weeks, which opens the door for Cazzola to have a crack while Jordi Ferrón continues his recuperation from his own injury.

The win lifts us into eighth position.

18th of February 2008

Goitom is named in the Primera Liga Team of the Week for his efforts against Real Betis.

24th of February 2008

Primera Liga – Game 25: Deportivo La Coruña v Cartagena

Cartagena springs upset as Depor suffers shock home loss

Cartagena’s resurgence in the Primera Liga continued this evening with a surprise 2-0 win over Depor in front of almost 35,000 stunned fans.

On a wet and cold evening, Cartagena took the lead on 5 minutes when Baptista fouled Nunens inside the penalty area and Matteini converted the spot-kick. Baptista’s misplaced aggression then cost him his place on the pitch when he was booked for a foul on Sebastian Svärd, then shown another yellow card for dissent stemming from the first incident, after just 8 minutes.

Depor tried their hardest despite their numerical disadvantage to level the scores, but inspired keeping by Dudu Awate preserved Cartagena’s lead, then in injury time at the end of the game, Stevanovic’s fine pass from inside his own defensive third to pick out the run of Matteini allowed the big Italian striker to score his and Cartagena’s second of the game, thus securing all three points and a satisfactory result for manager Señor Dixie Flatline, who paid tribute to Matteini in the press conference following the game.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very much an unexpected result, this one. I would have been happy with a point, with Depor riding high in the league, but to come away with all three points and a clean sheet are definitely bonuses for us. Although Depor had more attempts at goal, Awate was in fine form and denied them time and again to keep us in front, and Stevanovic’s sublime pass to Matteini gifted the Italian a good goal to secure the points.

If we keep this up, then we’re looking at a definite top ten finish in our first season in the big time, but of course, I’m looking for a better result than that.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-2-3-1): Wiese; Capdevila, Samuel, Coloccini, Manuel Pablo (Pasenen 60); Dani, Sergio ©; Zidan (Castro 63), Júlio Baptista (s/o 8), Sergio (Guayre 48); Berbatov.

Cartagena (4-1-3-2): Awate; Green, Mullins ©, Gaardsøe, Cazzola; Svärd; Goitom, Nunens (Stevanovic 64), Johnson; Sívori, Matteini.

Final score: Deportivo La Coruña 0:2 Cartagena

MoM – Dudu Awate

Archived