Tillingson's Travels: In his own words

greenjonty09

Game 41

3rd April 2008

FA Cup 3rd Round

Swallows v Mamelodi Sundowns

Previous Meeting: 19th December 2007 Mamelodi Sundowns 2-2 Swallows (Game 26)

The pressure was on me. Patrice Motsepe had told me that defeat would be seen as failure and that failure wasn’t something he often tolerated. I was reasonably confident given the length of our unbeaten run that we would progress. We couldn’t have asked for a much tougher draw though. Swallows were still unbeaten at home and had only lost 3 times all season. We worked the players hard in training, making sure they hadn’t left their minds in the Seychelles.

I named an unchanged side and focused on the positives in my pre match team-talk. We were 15 unbeaten after all, I could see no reason to put unnecessary pressure on them. Happy that they were as well prepared as they could be I sent them out with roars of encouragement.

The game was pulsating. A real cup tie. Both sides really wanted to win, that was clear from the outset. Chances went begging at both ends before the deadlock was broken in controversial fashion. A cross from the right appeared to strike Daniel Kannemeyer on the shoulder. The assistant, who had a clear view of the incident immediately flagged for a penalty. The referee blew, pointed to the spot and was immediately surrounded by angry men in yellow shirts. I hadn’t seen the incident clearly, but watching replays on a monitor I was flabbergasted. Kannemeyer had kept his hands by his side and was facing away from the ball as it hit him. What else could I do but shake my head? The referee wasn’t going to change his decision. Once the fuss had died down Cheeman Petersen stepped up and sent Calvin Marlin the wrong way.

To the players’ credit the incident didn’t seem to affect them unduly. Sometimes when things like that go against you it completely knocks the stuffing out of you. Indeed, if anything we began to get on top and the equaliser, when it came, was fully warranted. Lungisani Ndlela helped Calvin Marlin’s goal kick on with a deft header into the path of Lerato Chabangu. A swift exchange of passes with Dillon Sheppard set Chabangu through on goal. As the keeper advanced, the striker shot early, neatly beating him with a low drive. All to play for in the 2nd half.

Not even the loss of Chabangu through a suspected hamstring tear 3 minutes into the 2nd half disrupted us, or indeed them. The game continued to ebb and flow, the frame of both goals were rattled and neither goalkeeper could claim boredom. As the half continued it became clearer that one more goal would probably win it. It came in the 88th minute, Petersen’s strike from 18 yards looping up off the unfortunate Michael Manzini’s boot and completely wrong footing Calvin Marlin. A heartbreaking way to lose any game, never mind a cup tie.

I could do no more post match than console the players, we were unfortunate to lose. The loss of our 15 match unbeaten run hurt. I told the lads to use this feeling to go on another 15 match unbeaten run and to take it out on the league now. All I had to do for the rest of the evening was to avoid bumping into Patrice Motsepe. He was reputedly rather angry.

Swallows 2-1 Mamelodi Sundowns

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Brent Carelse, Lerato Chabangu, Lungisani Ndlela

Sub used: Peter Ndlovu (for Brent Carelse 45), Surprise Moriri (for Lerato Chabangu 48)

Subs not used: Jorge Acuna, Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Antonio Trigo,

Goalscorers: Lerato Chabangu 33

Form Guide: WWWWWL

Game 42

6th April 2008

Premier League

Ajax Cape Town v Mamelodi Sundowns

Previous Meeting: 26th December 2007 Mamelodi Sundowns 4-0 Ajax Cape Town

It wasn’t easy to put the cup defeat out of my mind as I was bombarded with phone calls afterwards from the owner telling me how annoyed he was and that only league success would keep me in a job for next season. Great. Nothing like a bit more pressure to help ease things, keep things going along smoothly.

A trip south to Cape Town saw us take on Ajax as we returned to league action. Although we’d lost our unbeaten record in all competitions, we were still 12 games unbeaten in the league, and with 9 straight wins. This was the focus of my team talk. Forget the cup defeat and concentrate on the league.

With Lerato Chabangu ruled out for the rest of the season, Surprise Moriri and Lugnisani Ndlela took the two centre forward berths whilst the rest of the side pretty much picked itself again. It took us a little while to get going, the defeat in the cup seemed to have taken the wind out of our sales a little. Usually our sluggishness would have had me off my seat trying to cajole, shouting and directing. I didn’t this time though as I wanted to be piling the pressure on them.

We found ourselves deservedly a goal down at half time, Diyo Sibisi scoring with a diving header from 12 yards out that gave Marlin absolutely no chance whatsoever. I remained calm and tried to encourage the lads, tell them that they just needed to get the ball wide and keep probing, keep patient and they would get their reward.

As the half ticked by I was wondering whether we would get our reward. We were playing well and putting Ajax under pressure but as we approached the final 15 minutes we were still a goal down. Suddenly, a piece of magic from Surprise Moriri where he turned his marker before lumping the ball into the net from about 25 yards out. It wasn’t quite a goal out of the blue, but I couldn’t see where a goal was coming from before he scored. We went all out from there on in for the three points. Openings went begging as our final ball lacked it’s usual quality and I was just about to settle for a point.

With just seconds remaining we forced one more corner. Dillon Sheppard signaled our famous near post routine, a signal that we kept changing. He swung the ball in with pace and fierce bend, Lungisani Ndlela flashed across his marker and glanced a header just inside the far post. There wasn’t anyone on the post, if there had been the ball would have been cleared, so the ball gently nestled inside the net. Everyone in a yellow and green shirt, tracksuit or tie erupted. It was an absolutely amazing finish to a really tough game. I felt for Ajax, they didn’t deserve to lose but after the Swallows match I was absolutely delighted to get back on track.

Ajax Cape Town 1-2 Mamelodi Sundowns

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Brent Carelse, Surprise Moriri, Lungisani Ndlela

Subs not used: Jorge Acuna, Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Antonio Trigo, Peter Ndlovu, Tyren Arendse

Goalscorers: Surprise Moriri 73, Lungisani Ndlela 90

League Record: P 22 P 16 D 4 L 2 F 46 A 17 Pts 52

League Position: 2nd (No change)

Form Guide: WWWWLW

League Matches Unbeaten: 13

League Matches Won In Row: 10

Game 43

9th April 2008

Premier League

Bloem Celtic v Mamelodi Sundowns

Previous Meeting: 20th October 2007 Mamelodi Sundowns 0-0 Bloem Celtic (Game 18)

Record v Bloem Celtic: P 2 W 0 D 1 L 1 F 1 A 3

Spirit was high in the camp after the character shown in Cape Town, which meant that we approached our trip to Bloemfontein to take on Bloem Celtic in a good frame of mind. I was desperate for us to win the game not only to maintain the pressure on Kaizer Chiefs, who we were to take on at home a week later.

Once again an unchanged side took to the field with my motivational speech still ringing in the ears. I told them that they owed Bloem Celtic a defeat after the two games so far this season we’d played them in. I was hoping they’d go on to dominate the game, I wasn’t expecting the savaging that they handed out.

By the quarter hour mark we’d already pretty much won the game. Surprise Moriri opened the scoring just 4 minutes in with a smart low finish from Esram Nyandoro’s pass from just inside the penalty area. 2 minutes later, Lungisani Ndlela got on the end of Daniel Kannemeyer’s low cross at the far post and guided the ball just inside the upright to make it 2-0. Just before the quarter hour mark it was 3. Moriri getting his 2nd goal of the day with a powerful strike 12 yards out after Brent Carelse’s through ball was half cleared. We were rampant, not even the loss of Moriri after half an hour with damaged ankle ligaments could upset our rhythm.

At the break we were basking in the glory of a 5-0 lead. Dillon Sheppard netted his 9th of the season with an excellent angled 20 yard strike that arrowed into the corner 10 minutes before half time, and 4 minutes later Ndlela headed home a Sheppard corner at the near post. I’ll admit it now, half time was a relaxed affair. All I did was tell the players to keep possession, look to add one or two more goals and enjoy the feeling of being 5-0 up.

2 goals arrived in a 2nd half where we pretty much eased ourselves through the 45 minutes, making sure we were fit for the following week. Ndlela steered home a loose ball after Brent Carelse’s shot was saved to complete his hatrick midway through the period to make it 6-0 and then 4 minutes from time, Ndlela finished the scoring with a neat finish from Antonio Trigo’s pass 18 yards out.

It had been an extremely impressive performance and one that would have made Mushin Ertugal sit up and take notice. The only negative was the injury to Surprise Moriri. He would not only miss the game with Kaizer Chiefs, he wouldn’t play for me again.

Bloem Celtic 0-7 Mamelodi Sundowns

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Brent Carelse, Surprise Moriri, Lungisani Ndlela

Subs used: Peter Ndlovu (for Surprise Moriri 31), Antonio Trigo (for Brent Carelse 68), Jorge Acuna (for Esram Nyandoro 77)

Subs not used: Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Mangoba Ngwenya

Goalscorers: Surprise Moriri 2, 14, Lungisani Ndlela 6, 39, 68, 86, Dillon Sheppard 35

League Record: P 23 P 17 D 4 L 2 F 53 A 17 Pts 55

Form Guide: WWWLWW

League Matches Unbeaten: 14

League Matches Won In Row: 11

4 x Goals In a Game: Lungisani Ndlela 1

Game 44

16th April 2008

Premier League

Mamelodi Sundowns v Kaizer Chiefs

Previous Meeting: 14th November 2007: Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 Mamelodi Sundowns (Game 22)

Record v Kaizer Chiefs: P 2 W 0 D 0 L 2 F 2 A 4

The week building up to the Kaizer Chiefs match saw the media intensity cranked up to the hilt. Both sides were going into the game on a great run of form. We had won our last 11 league games, Kaizers’ had won their last 7. We had scored 53 league goals, they had scored 49. If we won, we would pull level on points and most probably go top by way of our superior goal difference. We were by far and away the best two clubs in the country. A clash of titans if not on a global scale, certainly on a national scale. There would be hundreds of thousands, if not millions glued to their TV sets. The adrenalin levels rose throughout the week.

I had to make two enforced changes. With Surprise Moriri and Lerato Chabangu out, Mangoba Ngwenya came in for his first start of the season up front. Meanwhile Brent Carelse’s booking against Bloem Celtic took him over the threshold and meant that he had to serve a 1 match ban. Peter Ndlovu took his place in the centre of midfield. I really didn’t need to stress the importance of the game to anyone in the dressing room before the game. Although nothing would be won or lost, I saw the game as an opportunity to gain a psychological edge over Ertugal’s outfit. They’d narrowly beaten us twice so far, I was sure it was our turn this time around.

As you’d expect, the game was fiercely contested, neither side wanting to give an inch. Neither game against Kaizers had been full of chances and this contest was no difference. Calvin Marlin made one good save and Mangoba Ngwenya volleyed wide from 7 or 8 yards out. It was a pretty wild effort. The deadlock was broken on 37 minutes through a bit of good fortune. Ngwenya went down pretty easily in the area under presser from his marker as he received the ball from Nyandoro with his back to goal. Crumpling in a heap he somehow persuaded the referee to put his whistle to his lips and point to the spot. The Chiefs’ defenders went absolutely spare. It had been a very soft award. I wouldn’t say that Ngwenya had dived, there had been contact, it had been minimal though. Peter Ndlovu took responsibility after the fuss had died down and coolly sent the goalkeeper the wrong way. The stadium erupted, I punched the air and Mushin Ertugal remonstrated with the 4th official.

At half time I urged the players to take advantage of that stroke of luck. They’d have to work very hard 2nd half as I had no doubt that our opponents would throw everything at us. I told the lads to begin to look at soaking up pressure and hitting them on the break. I thought that as the half went on that we’d be able to exploit any gaps that would be left as Kaizer Chiefs pushed forwards. Wishing them luck, I sent them back out where they were met by a deafening roar from the partisan crowd.

As expected, we were put under pressure from the start of the 2nd half. We defended well though and little by little took the sting out of the game, slowing it down, trying to upset their rhythm and dictate the tempo ourselves. Esram Nyandoro was outstanding in the heart of the midfield whilst the two centre halves, Oscar Ntwagae and Michael Manzini, were excellent in making sure that Marlin had little to do. A double substitution midway through the 2nd half saw Kaizer Chiefs making a renewed effort to get back into the game and again, they began to take control.

With 10 minutes to go we were under intense pressure and barely able to get out of our half. Balls kept being pumped into our box, Ntwagae and Manzini stood up to the barrage. Just 4 minutes from time our resistance cracked. The umpteenth cross was perfectly swung in between the two centre halves and Marlin. No one attacked it except for Jose Torrealba, the Kaizer Chiefs’ centre forward who glanced a header home unchallenged from 6 yards out to equalise. As their bench jumped into the air as one, I threw my water bottle onto the ground. We’d thrown away 2 points, I knew it and all through some shabby defending.

After the game I kept the players in the changing rooms for half an hour. I was furious that we’d let the lead slip. In hindsight I can now say that it wasn’t the fact that we’d conceded the equaliser, but the manner in which the goal had gone in. We had been our own worst enemies. I can accept now that my reaction was a little disproportionate considering that we were by no means out of the championship race and were still unbeaten in 15 league matches. Looking back was the beginning of the end for me in South Africa. Another harsh lesson was soon to be learnt.

Mamelodi Sundowns 1-1 Kaizer Chiefs

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Peter Ndlovu, Mangoba Ngywenya, Lungisani Ndlela

Subs not used: Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Jorge Acuna, Antonio Trigo, Bryan Aldave, Tyren Arendse

Goalscorers: Peter Ndlovu 37 (pen)

League Record: P 24 P 17 D 5 L 2 F 54 A 17 Pts 56

Form Guide: WWLWWX

League Matches Unbeaten: 15

Despite the loss against Swallows and that draw against the Chiefs, you're doing brilliantly! I haven't seen a story in this league before so it's been good to read what you've produced so far :) well done :thup:

Thanks for the kind words Offspring - Pleased you're enjoying the story so far, and yes, things have been going reasonably well for me :)

Game 45

19th April 2008

African Champions League 2nd Round 1st Leg

Mamelodi Sundowns v Al Ahly

After the rollicking I’d given the players after the Kaizer Chiefs game there was a little more tension around the training ground as we prepared for the Champions League tie with Al Ahly of Egypt, 5 times Champions League winners. It was another massive game. They’d won the competition in 2006 so were very keen to put one over us, the 2007 champions. It wasn’t a crown that I was prepared to surrender just yet.

There was one change from the side that drew with Kaizer Chiefs with Brent Carelse returning in place of Mangoba Ngwenya and taking his place in midfield. Peter Ndlovu moved up front to partner Lungisani Ndlela.

Whatever may have been said and regretted after the league game with Kaizers was swiftly forgotten as the side tore into their Egyptian opponents with a skill and verve that we had shown in our 4 2008 Champions League games up until that point. Dillon Sheppard gave us the lead after 24 minutes with a dipping, swerving free kick from 25 yards that made him the 4th player into double figures for goals for the season. Although we failed to add to our lead before half time, we were well on top and I was delighted.

I told the players to try and kill the tie off in the 2nd half, to go for the jugular. That’s what they did as well. 2 minutes after the restart Lungisani Ndlela followed up to double our lead after Ndlovu’s deft header had been well saved. With just under 20 minutes remaining, substitute Mangoba Ngwenya got his first goal of the season, lashing home a loose ball from 15 yards out before Ndlela completed the scoring with a good low finish after good work from Esram Nyandoro. It was his 38th goal of the season, and 16th in 15 Champions League matches. An outstanding effort.

I was delighted with the response of the players, there had been a few rumblings in the press of dressing room disharmony following the game 3 days previously. I was certain that this result would put those rumours firmly to bed and that we could move on and concentrate on the run in without any outside distractions.

Mamelodi Sundowns 4-0 Al Ahly

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Brent Carelse, Peter Ndlovu, Lungisani Ndlela

Sub used: Mangoba Ngwenya (for Peter Ndlovu 66)

Subs not used: Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Jorge Acuna, Antonio Trigo, Bryan Aldave, Tyren Arendse

Goalscorers: Dillon Sheppard 24, Lungisani Ndlela 47, 84, Mangoba Ngwenya 72

Form Guide: WLWWXW

Game 46

23rd April 2008

Premier League

Mamelodi Sundowns v AmaZulu

Previous Meeting: 3rd November 2007: AmaZulu 1-4 Mamelodi Sundowns (Game 20)

There was a funny atmosphere around the ground before the game as if something was permeating. The players were much quieter than usual, the crowd seemed subdued. I’d not experienced anything quite like it, it was pretty unsettling. I tried to organise the side as best I could, as if everything was normal. It plainly wasn’t, despite me not being able to put my finger on just what was going on.

Mangoba Ngwenya replaced Peter Ndlovu up front after his goal scoring substitute appearance against Al-Ahly and I impressed on him just how big a chance this was for him to impress. With Lerato Chabangu and Surprise Moriri out for the season, this was his opportunity to partner Lungisani Ndlela for the run in.

He didn’t take it. None of the players took it. The performance was beyond shocking. It was completely and utterly apathetic. Abhorrent. If I’d been pleased with one aspect of every performance in my stewardship it was the fact that we always put in 100% effort, even when things didn’t go our way. Two 2nd half goals from Japhet Zwane and Dumisani Ngwenya sealed a deserved win for our visitors. I was absolutely furious.

The worst part of it was that none of the players would look me in the eye during the post match inquest, none of them could offer up an explanation for the completely lacklustre performance. In the end I felt I had little option. I went upstairs and found Patrice Motsepe. Before he could direct his ire at me after the result, I informed him that I inexplicably appeared to have lost the dressing room and as such, my position was untenable. I was resigning.

He put up no argument. He didn’t try and talk me out of my decision. In fact, all club press releases stated that I had left by mutual consent. I’d led the side to Champions League triumph, to 2nd place in the league, to just 2 defeats in 4 and a half months and all of a sudden I had no allies. Some fans groups were shocked by the decision, others were more philosophical about my departure. It was as far from departing in a blaze of glory as I had ever imagined.

Mamelodi Sundowns 0-2 AmaZulu

Team: Calvin Marlin, Vuyo Mere, Daniel Kannemeyer, Oscar Ntwagae, Michael Manzini, Elias Ngwepe, Dillon Sheppard, Esram Nyandoro, Brent Carelse, Mangoba Ngwenya, Lungisani Ndlela

Subs not used: Brian Baloyi, Godfrey Sapula, Robyn Johannes, Jorge Acuna, Antonio Trigo, Bryan Aldave, Tyren Arendse, Peter Ndlovu

Goalscorers: None

League Record: P 25 P 17 D 5 L 3 F 55 A 19 Pts 56

Form Guide: LWWXWL

The Fall Out

So that was it, all over. From the hubbub of the training ground to 24 hours notice of eviction from the club apartment. It took a lot of reflection and a lot of brooding for me to overcome my departure from South Africa. Within 3 days I was back home in Luton with Mum and Dad, leaving my Pretorian based lawyers to try and gain some kind of recompense from Patrice Motsepe. To be honest, I didn’t hold out much hope as it had been my intention to resign.

So many questions went through my mind. Had I been too hasty? Should I have tried to fight back? Should I have slept on it? Looking back now I have no doubt whatsoever that I made the correct decision. It was clear that the players were no longer behind me for whatever reason, and that Motsepe had little faith in me either. If he had, he would have tried to talk me round and not claimed ‘mutual consent’. I had been moderately successful. I had brought Champions League success to the club and laid the foundations for their 2008 success as well. Despite a couple of ropey results we were well in the hunt for the title. I had the side playing some really attractive, attacking football as well. The club finished runners up in the Championship Play Offs, losing to Kaizer Chiefs in the final. It was to be 9 years until they finished in the top 2 again. Their loss would be someone else’s gain

By the middle of June I felt able to begin sending off my CV and applications for vacancies again. I felt ready to get back into the hot seat. As it was the close-season in Europe, I thought the summer merry-go-round would give me a great opportunity to get back into management. It was more difficult than I had imagined

Sundowns Statistical Review

Playing Record

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Premier League (H)	13	9	3	1      28       9
Premier League (A)	12	8	2	2      26      10
[b]Premier League Total	25      17	5	3      54      19[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Champs Lge 2007 (H)	4	3	1	0      	8	3
Champs Lge 2007 (A)	5	3	1	1      14      10
[b]Champs Lge 2007 Total	9	6	2	1      22      13[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Champs Lge 2008 (H)	3	3	0	0      15       0
Champs Lge 2008 (A)	2	2	0	0       7       2
[b]Champs Lge 2008 Total	5	5	0	0      22       2[/b]

[i]			[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Champs Lge All (H)	7	6	1	0      23       3
Champs Lge All (A)	7	5	1	1      21      12
[b]Champs Lge All Total	14      11	2	1      43      15[/b][/i]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Super 8 Cup (H)		1	0	0	1	1	3
[b]Super 8 Cup Total	1	0	0	1	1	3[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
League Cup (H)		1	0	0	1	0	1
[b]League Cup Total	1	0	0	1	0	1[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Club World Champ (N)	1	0	0	1	0	3
[b]Club World Champ Total	1	0	0	1	0	3[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
SA FA Cup (A)		2	1	0	1	3	2
[b]SA FA Cup Total		2	1	0	1	3	2[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
SA Charity Cup (N)	2	1	0	1	4	4
[b]SA Charity Cup Total	2	1	0	1	4	4[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
Overall Home		22      15	4	3      52      16
Overall Away		21      14	3	4      50      24
Overall Neutral		3	1	0	2	4	7
[b]Overall Total		46      30       7	9     106      47[/b]

Appearances

[b]A	S	G[/b]
Vuyo Mere		46	0	0
Dillon Sheppard		44	0      10
Lungisani Ndlela	43	1      38
Oscar Ntwagae		43	0	0
Calvin Marlin		42	0	0
Brent Carelse		41	1	2
Elias Ngwepe		39	0	4
Michael Manzini		37	1	0
Daniel Kannemeyer	36	1	0
Esram Nyandoro		34	5	7
Surprise Moriri		28	8      26
Mbulelo Mabizela	19	2	0
Peter Ndlovu		17      10	4
Lerato Chabangu		11	7      13
Jorge Acuna		10	8	0
Tyren Arendse		5	2	0
Brian Baloyi		4	0	0
Robyn Johannes		3	2	1
Jakob Legkothoane	2	3	0
Mangoba Ngwenya		2	2	1
Antonio Trigo		1	6	0
Chris Makhoba		1	1	0
Siphelele Mpangase	0	2	0
Benson Mhlongo		0	2	0

Records

[b]Biggest Win:[/b]		16th March 2008 - 7-0 v St Michel (H) (African Champions League)
		9th April 2008 - 7-0 v Bloem Celtic (A) (Premier League)

[b]Biggest Defeat:[/b]		9th December 2007 - 0-3 v America (N) (Club World Championship)

[b]Most Games Unbeaten:[/b]	15 (19th December 2007 - 30th March 2008)

[b]Most Games Won In Row:[/b]	13 (26th December 2007 - 30th March 2008)

[b]Most Games Without Win:[/b]	4 (30th November 2007 - 22nd December 2007)

[b]Most Games Lost In Row:[/b]	1 (9 occasions)

[b]Hattricks:[/b]		Lungisani Ndlela 3
		Surprise Moriri 1

[b]Sendings Off:[/b]		None

A New Korea Direction

It took me 5 months to the day from my departure from Sundowns to find new employment. After many rejected applications and a couple of job offers being rejected because I didn’t feel they were suitable for me I accepted a new position. Busan of the South Korean K-League offered me a 2 year contract to take me through to the end of their 2010 season to try and improve their fortunes. They had been a successful club in the 80s and early 90s, winning the K-League 4 times, but had fallen upon lean times. With 2 games of the season remaining they were languishing in 11th place of the 14 team league. Their 54,000 Asiad Main Stadium was only ever about 5% full and they were heavily in debt. I saw this as a great opportunity to rebuild my career. A challenge to improve their on-pitch fortunes, get more locals through the gate into the stadium and stabilise them financially. I had 5 games before my first game away to Gwangju. Time enough to meet the players, get to know them and realise just how bereft of confidence they were. A big job awaited

Good luck with Busan, jonty.

Thanks gav :) - not the most exciting of starts sadly!

Game 47 (1st Game with Busan)

K-League

28th September 2008: Gwangju v Busan

It was far from a rapturous reception. After the pressure cooker atmosphere that welcomed me to life in Africa, playing in front of 900 fans in Gwangju’s 44,000 seater Guus Hiddink Stadium (I kid you not) was something of a reality check. If that wasn’t enough, the quality of football on this evidence left a lot to be desired. With Gwangju in bottom spot and ourselves hardly pulling up trees, I suppose it was only to be expected.

Based on what I’d seen in training and from the reports I’d read on the squad I went with the trusty 4-4-2 formation that had served me reasonably well in South Africa, although I wanted the side to be more difficult to beat than they had been up until my arrival. This meant sacrificing flair and creativity for a bit more functionality, at least until I felt the players were more comfortable and able to express themselves. My side included two Brazilians, left back Thyago and target man Thon as well as the hero of South Korea’s 2002 World Cup match with Italy Ahn Jung-Hwan partnering him up front.

I told the players before the game that this was an opportunity to get off to a really good start for me. Gwangju were in an even worse state than we were and in real danger of getting relegated. A great opportunity to pick up a morale boosting win at the first time of asking right?

Wrong. The worst game of my entire career bar none. Neither side was comfortable in possession, the ball being treated like a pin-less grenade and when chances were fashioned, they were snatched at horrendously meaning that neither goalkeeper was required to make anything like a save. If I thought I had a lot to do before the game, my task looked a whole lot more daunting afterwards. The only minor positives were the collection of a point and clean sheet. Lots to work on before the trip to 3rd placed Daejeon the following week.

Gwangju 0-0 Busan

Team: Kim Ji-Hyuk, Choi Sung-Hwan, Thyago, Bae Hyo-Sung, Kim Woo-Kyung, Kim

Byung-Chae, Han Song-Jung, Cho Hee-Ho, Jeon Woo-Keun, Ahn Jung-Hwan, Thon

Subs used: Yoo Hyo-Jin (for Jeon Woo-Keun 65)

Subs not used: Jung Yoo-Suk, Choi Ki-Seok, Kim Jae-Won, Park Jang-Kwan, Jung Sung-Hoon

League Record (Season): P 25 W 7 D 8 L 10 F 31 A 34 Pts 29

League Position: 11th (No change)

League Record (Club): P 1 W 0 D 1 L 0 F 0 A 0 Pts 1

Yeah, in hindsight Tillingson should have stayed and tried to fight it out. The thing was that my players started disliking him and were slapping in transfer requests right, left and centre. My young character couldn't stand the heat so got out. Hopefully wiser for the experience.

Game 48 (2)

K-League

5th October 2008: Daejeon v Busan

We worked hard on the training pitch that week trying to improve confidence and team spirit. Training was a bit of a soul sapping affair, there was no banter flying around, people’s chins were on their chests whenever a pass was misplaced or a shot was skied. It was tough, trying cajole and encourage when what you were witnessing was little better than schoolboy.

It was with a sense of foreboding that we traveled to Daejeon. They had sealed their place in the play-offs and were looking to gain a confidence boosting win to take them towards the end of the season. Meanwhile, I laid down a little bit of a challenge to the players. With the end of the season approaching and despite having very limited funds, I wanted them to show me that they wanted to be at the club for the 2009 season. I could work on technical issues and confidence. I couldn’t work on their desire. So long as the effort was there I would be happy.

I couldn’t fault the performance. That we lost wasn’t down to a lack of effort or application, we just lost to the better side. There were definite signs of improvement though, Thon led the line well before succumbing to a hamstring strain, Kim Byung-Chae also threatened continually down the right flank. Although a couple of chances were created, our lack of confidence in front of goal was shown and they went begging.

Goals either side of half time from Park Won-Jae and Kim Jae-Won gave Daejeon the 3 points that their extra quality warranted. I was a lot less downhearted than I had been a week before however. Each and every one of the players had shown me that they wanted to be a part of Busan’s future. A similar performance in the KFA Cup Quarter Final 2 and a half weeks later would give me plenty to think about over the close season.

Daejeon 2-0 Busan

Team: Kim Ji-Hyuk, Choi Sung-Hwan, Thyago, Bae Hyo-Sung, Kim Woo-Kyung, Kim Byung-Chae, Jeon Woo-Keun, Cho Hee-Ho, Yoo Hyo-Jin, Ahn Jung-Hwan, Thon

Subs used: Jung Sung-Hoon (for Thon 37), Kim Yong Tae (for Cho Hee-Ho 74)

Subs not used: Jung Yoo-Suk, Choi Ki-Seok, Kim Jae-Won, Park Jang-Kwan

League Record (Season): P 26 W 7 D 8 L 11 F 31 A 36 Pts 29

League Position: 11th (No change)

League Record (Club): P 2 W 0 D 1 L 1 F 0 A 2 Pts 1

Games Without Win (Club): 2

Games Without Win (Personal): 3

Games Without A Goal (Club): 2

Games Without A Goal (Personal): 3 (New Record)

Game 49 (3)

KFA Cup Quarter Final

22nd October 2008: Busan v Seoul FC

Watching the K-League play offs from afar gave me something to aim for. I know that the owner Jung ****-Kyoo wanted us to be there in 2 years time, I felt that I could deliver if I was given the relevant backing. In the meantime I was able to go through an intense training programme to prepare for the last 8 of the KFA Cup. We worked on various patterns of play and slowly but surely the players began to enjoy themselves a bit more.

An enormous crowd of 1700 or thereabouts congregated in our enormous dome of a stadium, doing their level best to make themselves heard as Seoul FC arrived to contest the KFA Cup Quarter Final. Seoul had finished 5th in the league and gone out to Daejeon in the 2nd round of the play-offs. I had been impressed by them having seen them twice and knew that they would cause us problems. I was delighted to be able to bring in the strong Brazilian centre half Mineiro for the first time, but we were missing Thon through injury.

We started the game in positive fashion, trying to dictate the tempo and attack Seoul. Again, thepace and skill of Kim Byung-Chae caused a few problems and Ahn Jung-Hwan was unlucky when his angled drive rebounded back off the post just 10 minutes in. 3 minutes later we had fallen behind against the run of play. Kim Ji-Hyuk came out to claim a cross, got nowhere near it and allowed Kim Young-Kwang the opportunity to head into a completely unguarded net.

I was a little worried as to how we would react to going a goal down, but the players showed some real character. We were rocked for a few minutes, but quickly settled down. After 33 minutes we equalised. A long ball out of defence from Thyago was helped on by Jung Sung-Hoon into the path of the breaking Yoo Hyo-Jin. The midfielder skipped through a challenge before placing the ball wide of the advancing goalkeeper from the edge of the penalty area. The goal broke a 3 and a half hour goal drought for Busan and 5 and a half hour goal drought from a personal point of view. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

At half time I was chuffed to bits. I told the players they had all been excellent so far and to keep things ticking over. We were matching a decent side and could take a lot of confidence from our first half display. The 2nd half began in much the same vein. Defending well and looking good in midfield, I was feeling extremely content until the 64th minute. Cho Hee-Ho mistimed a tackle midway inside the Seoul half leaving Kim Young-Kwang in a crumpled heap. Although not malicious, the challenge probably was worth a yellow card. The problem was that Hee-Ho had already been booked in the first half for handball. He became the first player under my stewardship to be dismissed.

The dismissal prompted me to move Ahn Jung-Hwan into a more withdrawn role, unfortunately though the extra man Seoul had proved decisive. With 8 minutes remaining, Kim Young-Kwang found Hwang Ji-Soo in acres of space in the penalty area. The former Busan man had all the time in the world to pick his spot and dispatch the winner. Those in white and red shirts sank to their knees in despair. The game was lost, our season over.

I could do no more than commiserate the players on the result after the game and tell them how proud I was of their efforts. Things may well have been very different if Cho Hee-Ho hadn’t been red carded but I could have no complaints with the decision. It was one of those red cards that happens every so often.

Busan 1-2 Seoul FC

Team: Kim Ji-Hyuk, Choi Sung-Hwan, Thyago, Bae Hyo-Sung, Mineiro, Kim Byung-Chae, Jeon Woo-Keun, Cho Hee-Ho, Yoo Hyo-Jin, Ahn Jung-Hwan, Jung Sung-Hoon

Subs not used: Jung Yoo-Suk, Choi Ki-Seok, Kim Jae-Won, Park Jang-Kwan, Kim Yong-Tae, Choi Jong-Kwan, Woo Sang-Hyun

Goalscorers: Yoo Hyo-Jin 33

Sent Off: Cho Hee-Ho 64 (2nd booking)

Games Without Win (Club): 3

Games Without Win (Personal): 4 (Equal Record)

Sendings Off: Cho Hee-Ho (Busan) - 1

Close Season 2008/9

The defeat had brought the season to a climax and gave me 3 and a half months in which to consider how to take the club forward in the 2009 season. The club had already organised a couple of new signings that left me little more than about £50,000 to spend on new faces. I decided against making wholesale changes to the first team squad (although a number of youth team players were released) as I thought that the players already at the club deserved a fresh start. I couldn’t fault their attitude in the 3 or 4 weeks and thought that perhaps the close season break would provide them with time to recharge their batteries, empty their minds and be ready for the challenges ahead in the new season.

Paul Tillingson 2008 Busan Stats

Record

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
[b]K-League 2008 (A)[/b]	2	0	1	1	0	2
[b]K-League Total		2	0	1	1	0	2[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
[b]KFA Cup 2008 (H)	[/b]1	0	0	1	1	2
[b]KFA Cup Total		1	0	0	1	1	2[/b]

[b]P	W	D	L	F	A[/b]
[b]2008 Total (H)[/b]		1	0	0	1	1	2
[b]2008 Total (A)[/b]		2	0	1	1	0	2
[b]2008 Total		3	0	1	2	1	4[/b] 

Appearances

[b]A	S	G[/b]
Kim Ju-Hyuk	3	0	0
Choi Sung-Hwan	3	0	0
Thyago		3	0	0
Bae Hyo-Sung	3	0	0
Kim Byung-Chae	3	0	0
Jeon Woo-Keun	3	0	0
CHo Hee-Ho	3	0	0
Ahn Jung-Hwan	3	0	0
Yoo Hyo-Jin	2	1	1
Kim Woo-Kyung	2	0	0
Thon		2	0	0
Jung Sung-Hoon	1	1	0
Mineiro		1	0	0
Han Song-Jung	1	0	0
Kim Yong-Tae	0	1	0

New Signings Pre Season 2009

Ko Chang-Hyun from Gwangju - £90,000

One of the two new signings that had been made by the owner and his board. Ko was a right winger who could also play in the middle of midfield and came from Gwangju, who had only avoided relegation on goal difference. He had shown glimpses of quality in my first game as Busan manager and his arrival seemed to have got some of the fans buzzing. The general consensus was that it was a smart piece of business.

Shin Soo-Jin from Gwangju - Free

Shin was a 28 year old centre half who also arrived from Gwangju after not having his contract renewed. The reaction to his arrival was certainly a lot more muted than Ko’s and would have to work hard to prove to me that he was better than what I already had here. The 2nd of the signings that had already been arranged.

Han Seol from Gwangju – Nominal Fee

Han was a teenage central midfielder who was also part of the great Gwangju cull. Industrious, but inexperienced, I signed Han primarily as cover for the suspended Cho Hee-Ho and to provide a little bit of competition in midfield. Costing the club about £1,000, he was certainly not high risk.

Lucas Podadeiro from Goias - £35,000

A strange arrival. I was approached by an agent working on behalf of Brazilian club Goias who told me that they would like to offer me the chance to sign one of their players. A 23 year old centre forward called Lucas Podadeiro. He gave me a DVD (remember them?) to watch and told me that the asking price was only £40,000. I watched the DVD with a degree of caution knowing that it would be a collection of highlights. He did seem to have something about him, he was quick, skillful and looked to have a peach of a left foot. After a couple of night’s thought I decided to take a punt on him. I negotiated the price down to £35,000 and the deal was struck.

Thys Abrahams – Assistant Manager

Probably the best signing I made in my time at Busan. I’d got to know Thys in South Africa where he was a prominent coach within the community. I had worked without an assistant since my arrival until January. As soon as he applied, I knew he was the right man for the job. He proved a willing and able 2nd in command going on to become an absolute legend at the club, remaining assistant manager until his retirement nearly 30 years later.

Game 50 (4th for Busan, 1st 2009 Season)

K-League

1st March 2009: Busan v Jeonbuk

The dawn of a new season always brings a load of excitement, high expectations and fresh plans. Sometimes all those plans you will have laid down over the close season will bear signs of success and other times you’ll realise that despite your best efforts, you’re exactly where you were a few months previously. Hopes were particularly high at Busan after a very successful pre-season campaign.

Our first game of the Korean 2009 season also happened to be my 50th career match in all competitions. We invited a Jeonbuk side to the party that had finished 6th in 2008 and made the play-offs losing just 5 times in the process. I included my 4 new signings in the starting line-up and sent them out full of confidence.

90 minutes later everything was in tatters. How we only lost 2-0 I’ll never know. Two goals in the first half left us with an extremely tall mountain to scale in the 2nd period. We never honestly had a hope of making it. Credit to Jeonbuk, they were excellent on the day and fully deserved the win. We were totally listless though. Again, I couldn’t really fault the application but we were woefully lacking in quality. Of the new signings Lucas Podadeiro did well on the scraps he was fed up front and Ko Chang-Hyun showed glimpses of quality too. Han Seol was pretty anonymous in midfield whilst Shin Soo-Jin was an absolute disaster at centre back.

12 minutes into the game we went a goal down. Shin Soo-Jin under hit his back pass to Kim Ji-Hyuk to such an extent that it looked like a beautifully measured through ball for Kim Eon-Joong to run onto and bury high into the net past the exposed Ji-Hyuk. A goal up and in complete control Jeonbuk played some really nice stuff, making us chase shadows. The last thing we needed with them in such control was to gift them another goal. Step forward Shin Soo-Jin who planted a bullet header past his own goalkeeper from a cross 3 minutes before half time.

The 3 points sealed, Jeonbuk spent the 2nd half toying with us. Playing keep ball and completely dominant. The players came in exhausted at full time. It had been a real eye-opener. I told the players that we had just witnessed the level of performance that I wanted us to reach. We had such a long way to go, it was back to the drawing board for myself and Thys.

Busan 0-2 Jeonbuk

Team: Kim Ji-Hyuk, Choi Jong-Kwan, Mineiro, Shin Soo-Jin, Kim Woo-Kyung, Ko Chang-Hyun, Park Jang-Kwan, Han Seol, Kim Yong-Tae, Thon, Lucas Podadeiro

Subs used: Bae Hyo-Sung (for Shin Soo-Jin 45), Yoo Hyo-Jin (for Kim Yong-Tae 71)

Subs not used: Jung Yoo-Suk, Choi Ki-Seok, Kim Byung-Chae, Ahn Jung-Hwan

League Record 2009: P 1 W 0 D 0 L 1 F 0 A 2 Pts 0

League Position: 13th

Games Without Win (Club): 4

Games Without Win (Personal): 5 (New Record)

First 50 Games Record: P 50 W 30 D 8 L 12 F107 A 53

Win Percentage: 60%

Game 51 (5, 2)

K-League

8th March 2009: Ulsan v Busan

I spent the week in training once again trying to lift the players’ spirits. We redoubled our efforts in trying to get the basics right. Get the players confident with the ball, get them hitting the target in front of goal, work with the back 4 trying to get them defending as a unit. The players were working hard but with the language barrier still there (my Korean had made great strides in the 5 and a half months that I’d been in the country) progress was a little slower than I’d hoped.

Our 2nd game of the season saw us take on Ulsan, a club that was considering an application from me to become their manager just before I took the Busan job. Without a win in my 4 games in charge at Busan it looked as though their gain was Busan’s loss. I made three changes from the side that lost against Jeonbuk. Choi Sung-Hwan returning at right back, Bae Hyo-Sung coming in for the hapless Shin Soo-Jin and Jeon Woo-Keun coming in on the left side of midfield.

Our performance showed signs of improvement. Going forward we presented more of a danger, chances were created and the front two looked like they were beginning to form a bit of an understanding. Defensively we looked all at sea still. None of the goals were down to individual errors but collectively, we were poor. The opening goal arrived after 8 minutes, Lusinho Paulista, who I would later manage, netting from close range after we failed to clear a corner. We responded well this time though and equalised 9 minutes later when Lucas Podadeiro arrived at the far post to convert Jeon Woo-Keun’s low driven cross from the left.

At half time I was happy. We were level and playing quite well. I implored the back 4 to tighten up a little as we’d given away too many loose balls and too many chances. My advice wasn’t heeded. The back 4 went completely missing 9 minutes after the restart, allowing Lee Sang-Ho the freedom of the 18 yard box to fire past Ji-Hyuk before going further behind when Paulista rose at the far post to head home Park Joo-Sung’s left wing cross just beyond the hour mark. All of a sudden, we were chasing the game.

We chased valiantly, but had left ourselves too much to do. As we pushed forward we left gaps. A third Brazilian forward Leandrao got onto the score sheet with 14 minutes remaining to make it 4-1 on the counter attack before Podadeiro got what was no more than a consolation with 2 minutes remaining with an outstanding 25 yard strike off his left foot. Although we were well beaten again, I was pleased with the spirit shown and the two goals that Lucas Podadeiro scored. It looked as though he was going to carry a threat for us. I hoped he would, no one else looked capable of doing so.

Ulsan 4-2 Busan

Team: Kim Ji-Hyuk, Choi Sung-Hwan, Mineiro, Bae Hyo-Sung, Kim Woo-Kyung, Ko Chang-Hyun, Jeon Woo-Keun, Han Seol, Kim Yong-Tae, Thon, Lucas Podadeiro

Subs not used: Jung Yoo-Suk, Choi Ki-Seok, Kim Byung-Chae, Ahn Jung-Hwan, Shin Soo-Jin, Yoo Hyo-Jin

Goalscorers: Lucas Podadeiro 17, 88

League Record 2009: P 2 W 0 D 0 L 2 F 2 A 6 Pts 0

League Position: 13th

Games Without Win (Club): 5

Games Without Win (Personal): 6 (New Record)

Archived