FM10: Tottenham Hotspur - Come on you Spurs!

tottenhamfmo7

I've found my finances are a bit of a problem at the moment even though I'm only 7 games into season 1. I've bought Sandro for £9m and have just bought Suarez, although I arranged for him not to come until next summer as I wouldn't be able to afford him. Fingers crossed I'll be able to shift Keane and someothers in January to help with the bankroll. I managed to sell Thud but only for £5m to Liverpool.

the only other offers I got were persistend ones from Man Citeh and Man U for Bostock who I didn't let go because I think he'll be really good.

I did let Gio go to Everton on a seaosn long loan though as I wasn't sure how he would perform so decided to give him the season there. I put in the buy clause something like £20m knowing Everton wouldn't be able to afford that and if they can I'd probably accept it anyway.

So, I've basically got rid of one DM and replaced him with a better one and that's it. I've not been able to get anyone else for financial reasons and I've had no other offers. I'm not overly bothered because I don't think the squad you get needs improving that much, and I know I'm only a few games in but I'm sitting pretty at the top at the moment with 6 wins and 1 draw (damn Defoe missing a pen and numerous 1-on-1's in 0-0 away to Bolton - who are currently 4th) and only 2 goals conceeded. I was just wondering why people seem to have opened the game, decided to play as spurs and then systematically removed most players when there's not really any need? Granted the same can't be said about the backroom staff which needed replacing as soon as I saw their stats.

Also, has anyone else had major problems with Modric being covetted by other teams? I've seen it by some posters but not by all. One of my first emails was regarding him and how he felt he needed to leave for a bigger club and then ManU are bidding all the time and he's getting more and more upset. I've offered him 2 very large contracts to stay and they've not worked, I've praised his performances (when they've been good), I've given him responsibility by tutoring Bostock which he's happy with and have given him the vice captaincy. He still seems set on leaving. Did this happen to everyone and if not, how can other peoples games be different so early on?

I agree mate i think the Spurs squad can easily challenge for the title as it is. Ive made just the two signings Sandro and Marca Verrati a young Italian and sold GDS to City for 26 mill.

Im sitting in 3rd and ive just hit Feb. Chelsea on top with 54, Liverpool 2nd with 53, Myself and Everton on 52 and united on 51 lol its so tight.

About Modric one day he stunned me by saying he has to move on and requested transfer however i told him i want him to stay so Tottenham can progress or something along those lines, he backed down and has been happy ever since. He is key to any sucess Tottenham get i feel!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah not having your asst. man get fixtures for your reserves is silly.

i made modric captain first thing, and i've always told him he needs to stay and we'll match his ambitions etc. he's had a LOT of courters but noone's managed to swing his ear yet bar guardiola but he's not made a bid.

i would buy just 1 player if i started again, that'd be anthony annan. that guy is a bloody beast but i went for pricier (and frankly overrated) moussa sissoko.

i found that annan guy as i wanted another tough tackler in midfield so i could play palacios more advanced but didnt know how he would settle in.

i opted against sissoko as his stats aren't that great for a DM, tackling isnt great for a start then theres aggression and determination.

sandro looks good but i dont think i need him while i have hudd.

iv got becks coming on a free in jan, thats a pure marketing tact and iv still got 20m to spend from transfers.

but i cant seem to buy a win at the moment. cant seem to get keane or defoe to perform with crouch, iv only lost 1 in 5 to city 2-1 away, the rest were all draws.

deadline day, Corluka wants out, I want a box to box quality midfield player to partner Palacios so I throw a cheeky £10m + Corluka offer to Man City for Barry which they accept and it goes through with minutes to spare, really happy with it :thup:

we've started the season better after a poor League showing last time, coming back from behind to beat West Ham and dominating the game against Bolton and being really unlucky to only draw. Nothing to write home about but the way we are now playing looks better and now I can slot Barry into midfield to try and take hold of games :)

Re: Lennon

What instructions do you have him on? Hugging touchline? Cutting in?

Hugging Touchline. His left foot isn't really good enough to ask him to cut in, and as I play Chorlie at RB he isn't the best at getting forward so I leave Lennon to create the width on his own.

this is ********, I sign Barry as I said above but I had to submit my final player registration list at 1pm on deadline day and now I can't give him a League number and he's ineligible til January...

The more annoying thing is Corluka who went the other way somehow has a squad number and is free to play their next game, OH WHICH IS AGAINST ME!!

edit: just for the record, since when could EPL teams only register 25 players? is it a new ruling this year? it's crewed me over big time.

yes I am, I was surprised to see I've been given only 25 places (at least 8 of which have to be English grown players) in my squad a la Spain.

edit: even though it's not listed in the rules for the League...

fmregistration.th.jpg

Just another question for people who download / copy other peoples tactics and training methods.

Why do you do it? For example, it looks like iamjerome has started off doing really well and has developed a good tactic that is working well for the players he's bought in which is great. Isn't it less appealing to just use someone elses tactics and then click "continue, continue, continue, select team, play match, continue, continue" than actually win games with your own tactics, players, training etc?

Also, when you use someone elses tactics do you also buy the same players as they have bought? Again, giving an example, a lot of people on here have bought Sissoko which is fine but have they done that because someone said he was good or have they gone out and scouted themselves and decided value for money etc that's the best buy out there?

I know we all come on here for advice and to see how other people are getting along and to try and gleam ideas from as many people as possible. I've taken loads of information with regards to training as I haven't played FM for about 5 years due to ****** laptops etc but I wouldn't just copy someone elses info, I prefer to use that advise and put into my own ideas. Isn't that the point on such a brilliant game?

I'm not having a go or anything so please don't take it as such, I'm just wondering if people are maybe missing out on most of what the game is about or have they tried it before and decided they prefer to get into the nitty gritty of match days more regularly.

This wasn't actually the main issue for me, I couldn't register Barry because he signed after I had to submit my numbers which seems strange.

However, I did think that maybe the rule about having a max of 25 players was just a bug in terms of displaying it on the registration page but when I tried to ignore it and register some more players it stopped me in my tracks.

Also, my squad numbers were erased from season 1, luckily auto number pretty much put them back to what they were.

edit: I agree with you drwinston, while I do take pointers and advice from more successful managers I refuse to download anyone's tactics as it destroys the point of the game for me, it simply isn't my team anymore.

@ drwinston, are you suggesting that if i hear about a good player on the forum i should actively try and avoid signing him, that would make life very difficult seeing as this is a 'guide to good players' forum. also as far as tactics go altho i appreciate iamjeromes advice really it is a very simple tatcic which pretty much relies 100% on the new wizard, and its not a case of simply using that tactic and getting success. as iamjerome has stated whats equally important is team talks, man management and choosing when to employ a certain strategy, all this cant be copied. so i still enjoy the game despite taking helpful tips from the forums.

If you take someone else's tactic, it should be nothing more than a foundation. I honestly think with FM2010 the team is far more reactive to you as a manager whereas in the past it was easier to perhaps create a 'cheat/super' tactic that could always outsmart the AI as long as you're players were top notch.

If you take my tactic and initially play with the current squad, you will have consistent 'success'. Nothing out of this world but something more realistic. The work begins when you start signing players because the team is the moulded into the side you want and the knock-on effect is that you might have to start changing player instructions and duties etc. It's no longer my tactic at that point. And all the touchline instructions and team talks etc do influence the performance of the side.

I'm way off playing the style of football I had in FM2009. Its going to be great trying to emulate my last side in that last game.

spurscomeback.th.jpg

one of my most enjoyable results to date, really really impressive 2nd half performance, capped by a late goal by Owen picked up for next to nothing from United's reserves.

Jovetic really starting to perform this season :thup:

@ jd1882, as I stated I wasn't meant to be confrontational with my comments so I apologise if that's the way you seem to have taken them. I fully understand that there are more to the game than just "copying" someone elses tactics.

I was simply asking the question how other people play the game. I come on here more out of interest and to talk about the game when I have to unfortunately "work" when I could be playing it myself.

I think it's fair to say that there are far better players out there than Sissoko but I wonder how many people just buy him without scouting him themselves etc. I'm not saying it's the wrong way to play the game nor am I stating a correct way to play the game.

I've played one version (can't remember which but it was a long time ago) where I didn't ever change the training because I find it the most troublesome and somewhat boring part of the game. I much prefer the tactical side of things, probably just as I would if I were a real manager. This year however, I'm trying to immerse myself into every aspect of it (which is why I'm only 7 league games into the first season after nearly 20 hours of play!!!!).

Again, sorry if I caused offence. It was more of a general wonderingment (good new word there) that I had.

I am in my second week in July, I have changed most of the backroom staff and set up the training.

I also sold Dos Santos for £14.5m to Man City (lump sum).

I got Van Der Vaart for £1.5 initial loan, 80% wages and £7m buy fee.

Got a £8m bid for Sandro accepted. Bid upto £20m for M Zarate (worth £8m) but keep getting rejected!

Need to get rid of Jenas; in the game and in the real world! :)

depends on who won the FA and League Cup's, if it was teams from within the top 6 you will qualify for the Europa qualifying rounds.

I finished 7th in the first season but also won the League Cup so I didn't have this issue, good luck!

@drwinston

no confrontation. good point you've raised about the game, as i do think it is less easy to copy someones elses tactics on this years version. as for immersing myself in every tactical detail, as a result of playing older versions i was skeptical about the new wizard and fiddled endlessly with sliders and advanced settings all with very little positive outcome. My best results have now come from using the tactic wizard and pretty much ignoring advanced settings completely.

as for sissoko, there arent that many dms better than him on the game, his potential is crazy high, so dont be put off him ;)

Damn "big clubs". Modric, Gomes, Palacios,Crouch, Huddlestone is all unsettled by "bigger" clubs coming in for them. Its not good for the team morale right before second season is kicking off. After 3rd last year i was really hoping to challenge for the title.

THANK YOU! I didn't know if I was ever going to get this answered.

Are you setting him as a Winger or Wide Midfielder? Support or Attack? I'd like to use he and Lennon as Wingers that Cut Inside, but don't know if that's too much attacking in a 4-3-1-2

Depends on the game situation. Modric has scored quite a few goals for me as a wide midfielder attack. He has the skill to dribble through the defence and get a shot in, if he cant manage that he will usually play a good pass to a teammate. Give him lots of creative freedom

If i play against a very slow defence i use him as winger, use Gio on the right, both on attack and exploit flanks in the shout mode (dont remember what it is called, hope you understand). This also works, but for most games, i dont feel modric has the speed to play as a winger.

Hi guys, I have been playing as spurs the last week and i have had a lot of success. 1st season i came 2nd in the league only just losing the title to liverpool. I signed Hamsik who has been unreal, scores alot of goals and had an average rating of 7.87. I also signed Guti for 2m and sold a couple fringe players. I played 442 and only lost 3 games all season in the league. Pavlechenko, Defoe, Keane and Crouch were all superb, i rotated them and it worked perfect, all scored alot of goals. David Bentley was excellent, his crossing is second to none and got alot of assists. This season i am 2nd again half way through and in the quarters of champs league, i beat barca 4-0 over two legs. This year i signed Sakho, Zapata, Srna and the outstanding striker dzagoev. I was given a budget of 18m but after selling lennon for 15m, woodgate for 6m and and Pavluchenko for 8.5m i managed to bring in these players. I am building a team to win everything in the next 3 years. Do not let Palacios or Modric leave, they keep putting in transfer requests but keep refusing, they soon go happy again for a short while and these 2 are key to any success.

I can understand people accepting stupid amounts of money for Huddlestone from Citeh,but he has been my best player and im in Jan. 10. Now i almost accepted the bid of 18m and didnt play him till end of Sept till i got bored of Kranjcar on left and Moddle in centre mid

Huddlestone : Pld-15(2) Scored 2 Assist 8! MOM-4 Ave. 7.24

Advise playin him as a Deep Playmaker and watch him spray the ball about!!!

Well I am still waiting for that elusive Premier league title... After finishing 2nd in my first season on level points with Man City, and in my second season finishing behind Chelsea and missing out by 6 points, both years have seen my spurs team win the fa cup and league cup respectively as well as the charity shield and going out in the Champions League first round knockout stage to real madrid after picking up more injuries and suspensions then I thought possible and having to play the re-signed (again) Chimbonda! He did okay in the home leg, however in the away game he got turned over and I had no one else left to replace him. He is now on loan in the 3rd season at Leicester after I signed Rafael from Man Utd and brought Carrick back to where he should have stayed! Got a problem now as to keeping Carrick, Huddlestone and Palacios all happy in a two man midfield. Beckham is also unhappy at not being first choice, but I have found after his first season any pace he did have has gone, and he now looks really, really slow so only use him in lesser games or those that I feel I have already won. His stats are still good, and he does occasionally have a really good game. I sold Corluka to Man City, and have managed to keep Modric happy and he has just signed a 5 year contract. Defoe and Keane is my best partnership up front, however I have not been able to shift Bentley and Pav on. I thought I may have been on to a winner when Sunderland loaned Bentley last season with a view to paying £9m to make the deal permenant - however they obviously saw what I did, an average squad player who never performs when it really matters. Also sold Bale to Real Madrid for £15m and Ekotto left as well for £8m and I replaced them with Heitenga from Everton and despite not being a proper left back, he has performed excellently so far this season and leaves me money to spend on a proper left back when the right targets become available (Figuora from Wigan). Also got to agree that Huddlestone is an excellent player, always plays well and seems to always score against Liverpool for me as well.

But 3 seasons in, I am more then happy with my Spurs team, playing a basic 4-4-2 formation with control, short passing and man marking. Has served me well in FM10 so far, so no reason to change the formation.

Quick first seasons summary in pictures. Speaks for themselves. Had too restart from my first season when I made 40 million in transfer fees, but I did much better without the number of additional players.

2duxsmu.jpg

2qi8ug0.jpg

raulvc.jpg

Really pleased with the lads in the first season, considering apart from Suarez, who joined on deadline day for 17 mil over 48 months, and Di Maria who joined in Jan (and played 4 games), the First Team was unchanged from the start, with Verratti being my new Modric in the future. Disappointed losing out on the league title on goal difference, and not even being in the top 3 managers of the year, but for Spurs and the media prediction of 8th it's been a good season, obviously not the best achievement by any means but still good. Knocked out of the cups 4th round in both League and F.A cup by Man Utd, but I wasn't really bothered in my first season and it gave me time to focus on the Champions League qualification. I seemed too get complacent against lower teams, but really turn up against the top 4. I think easily I had the best record out of the top 4 playing eachother, I'm not sure if you can check a mini league table of just certain teams playing eachother, bit like the ''past games'' table, but at a guess I won 75%+ against the top 4 teams. Crouch was on fire all season, as was Modric, Lennon, Palacios, Bale and Bassong. Suarez had a good first season, scoring 14 goals in 30 games and assisting 9, scoring 7 in the last 5 games. Cracking game so far!

Quick update on how things are looking.

Coming up for the end of January and it's looking tight at the top, we have all played 23 games:

Man Utd 49pts

Man City 48pts

Arsenal 47pts

Spurs 47pts

Chelsea 46pts

After sitting in 7th at the beginning of December I've since went on an impressive 12 game unbeaten run which included a 7 game winning streak in December.

Just agonisingly been knocked out the League Cup by Man Utd, 1st leg at Old Trafford I was beaten 4-2 but matched them the whole game. 2nd leg i'm 1-0 down at half-time I say screw it and throw on Crouch and set passing to direct and pump ball into the box. 75mins we get a corner, ball comes to near post.......Crouch heads it off Rooney...1-1. 90mins ball comes out to Bale who swings it back stick...Crouch rises above Vidic.......BANG!!!! 2-1. I'm thinking we've got them here, switch to overload,quick look to see how much injury time there is, 3mins. 90+3 comes on the clock again Bale surges down the line, lofts one into the 6 yard box Crouch comes from nowhere flies above Vidic again and its 3-1. I'm screaming get in thinking i've won the game but forget there is no away goal so it's end of 90 mins. After a boring 18 mins Man U get a throw in, comes to Vidic who crosses, Gomes comes out but flaps and misses when no-one is even in the box, Huddlestone isn't looking and the ball hits him on the back of the head, ball drops and not one of my 4 players roundabout react to the ball and Rafael nips in to slip it into an empty net. Gutted, so close but yet so far.

At least i've got a fourth round FA Cup tie against Bolton coming up and some of the big teams have been drawn together so won't be so bad a draw for me if I get through. I've also still got a chance in the league although I still have Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City away so it will be tough. I've played best against the big teams though so i'm hoping I scrape through.

Got to say i'm impressed with how well i'm doing with the original team, no in's and no out's, I think it would be my biggest FM achievement ever if I won the league with this squad. Only a few days left of the winter window and i've not had a bid for Modric even though he has been unsettled and says he wants to leave. Just rejected a £22m upfront bid for Bale from Real Madrid as I had a look at the left-backs on offer and no-one is really any better than him so i'll keep him for now. He says he's unhappy I rejected the offer but screw him. Marseille have been sniffing about BAE so I offered him for for £7.25m which they have offered over 2 years. I've accepted since my balance is down to £2.1m so I really need whatever money comes in. Jankulovski of Milan is listed for £2m and Lukovic of Udinese is listed for 1.1m so i've bid for the 2 of them of 48months and both have been accepted so will do nicely as cheap replacements.

Just another question for people who download / copy other peoples tactics and training methods.

Why do you do it? For example, it looks like iamjerome has started off doing really well and has developed a good tactic that is working well for the players he's bought in which is great. Isn't it less appealing to just use someone elses tactics and then click "continue, continue, continue, select team, play match, continue, continue" than actually win games with your own tactics, players, training etc?

Also, when you use someone elses tactics do you also buy the same players as they have bought? Again, giving an example, a lot of people on here have bought Sissoko which is fine but have they done that because someone said he was good or have they gone out and scouted themselves and decided value for money etc that's the best buy out there?

I know we all come on here for advice and to see how other people are getting along and to try and gleam ideas from as many people as possible. I've taken loads of information with regards to training as I haven't played FM for about 5 years due to ****** laptops etc but I wouldn't just copy someone elses info, I prefer to use that advise and put into my own ideas. Isn't that the point on such a brilliant game?

I'm not having a go or anything so please don't take it as such, I'm just wondering if people are maybe missing out on most of what the game is about or have they tried it before and decided they prefer to get into the nitty gritty of match days more regularly.

For what it's worth, I think you represented yourself with tact and class.

For me, I look at other players' tactics with this team because I'm just not sure what to do. I skipped FM09 and am trying to acquaint myself with the tactics controls. Mostly, I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize I team that is very heavy with AMR/AML/AMC and Stirkers. There is a guy like Modric who's a stud in this game and I want to know the best way to use him. I don't want a "master key" to win the league year in/year out, I just don't want to spend a week plugging through a season only to get sacked or find out I've used the wrong tactic.

Most importantly, once I learned the importance of consistency in this game as it relates to squad happiness/performance I'm reluctant to switch up my formation/tactics while I figure it out.

I've scrapped my save game and re-started.

Spent 5 hours last night doing the usual countless bits and pieces before the first press of continue is made.

Have practically sent out most of the reserves on loan and looking at selling a number of players in addition to the ones that have gone.

Would be fun to just play with current squad, but prefer to craft out my own squad.

I'm going to stick with my tactic, but develop a more advanced version.

I've scrapped my save game and re-started.

Spent 5 hours last night doing the usual countless bits and pieces before the first press of continue is made.

Have practically sent out most of the reserves on loan and looking at selling a number of players in addition to the ones that have gone.

Would be fun to just play with current squad, but prefer to craft out my own squad.

I'm going to stick with my tactic, but develop a more advanced version.

Good luck :thup: What was your main reason for starting over again?

Although I was more than pleased with my Prem record the simple fact is, when I play FM I only ever play one or two full proper long term games. I get less time to play around on FM these days because of the blogging I do along with the fact that the other half wouldn't be too best pleased - so its vital that my save game is played out properly - even if it takes me 10 times longer to get through than other people.

So I stated over to make sure I had every loaned out, sold the players that simply do not have a future in my plans and also sign players (or attempt too) that I forgot about first time round.

I'll probably have a disaster of a season for it now !

how are people on their second seasons already? It's great to see so many spurs fans doing well in the game. I've only played 8 league games (sitting pretty on top at the moment 1 point ahead of chelsea), but I managed to get 3 games in last night and I reckon that's about a maximum.

I would love to play the game out for seasons and seasons and see youngsters develop etc but I can't see how I'll ever be able to get there? I'm sure I'd get divorced if I played the amount I'd need to. Do I just take longer to do stuff (I'm a little bit obsessive I guess) or do I just not play enough? I think my game play must've reached about 20+ hours now. How long to others take to complete a season? Work really does just get in the way.

Anyway, back onto progress report. As I said, only 8 games played but 6 wins and 2 draws from those. 17 goals scored and 4 conceeded. All existing squad apart from Sandro. I play mainly 4-4-2 or slight variant of that as 4-1-2-2-1. Pav has been outstanding in the last 4 games since I gave him a chance in the league cup. Moddle's head has been turned as it has in most peoples games but he's performing adequetly although nothing like as well as some people have managed so far. Nico has done very well and when Woody is fit he's averaging 8.10 with King high 7's and BEA and Naughton performing well. Gomes has been excellent to.

We've just come off a 2-2 away draw with Chelsea. A little gutted really because we took the lead in the 57th minute and within 15 mins we were 2-1 down due partly to some sloppy defending and partly to more attacking play by them. I switched up the tactics and we got an 85th minute equaliser that was definately deserved given the chances we created and posession we had. Happy with that though at this stage.

I've got Suarez coming to the club but only next summer. I decided I wanted to see what the strikers at the club could do. So far, Pav looks like he'll make an impact and Defoe will always score but he's been missing a lot too. Crouch again will score goals but I'm not sure if he's quite suited to the way I want to play. Keane is gone in Jan if I can find someone stupid enough to buy him. I'm sure if I could zoom in on the 3D match I'd see him running around in circles waving his arms around.

The board are thinking about expanding the ground which I think means it won't happen which is annoying because there's no real reason why it wouldn't and I've seen other people have no problems getting it increased so not quite sure why Levy has a problem. Need something to help with the finances. Fingers crossed for at least Champs League qualification so that should help (might even cheer Moddle up if Levy doesn't sell him before). COYS

Archived