FM10: Tottenham Hotspur - Come on you Spurs!

tottenhamfmo7

This all illustrate how different everybody's game is.

Pav has done nothing for me and is on his way out. For others he is a success. Everyone seems to want rid of DoS and Hudd because you could generate millions out of the transfers. I'm not going to sell DoS as I reckon he will be a superstar.

As for Hudd. Might do. Same with JJ. Can't decide.

I've got Sandro, Sissoko so dont need JJ and Hudd. I'm going to test the waters tonight and see how much I can get for them.

Bentley is another player who does well for me when he plays but can't see him being a first teamer.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm going to keep bentley for a couple of seasons until the academy product wigglesworth comes of age, i've given the kid AMR 2 starts so far in cup games and he's scored both times, i've real high hopes for him. bentley does a good job being a back up to lennon for me and offers a real good alternative dependent on who else i play, if only he was less **** irl...

yep, came through the academy in the summer - the only one worth talking and he's class too, 19 dribbling 18 crossing 15 pace/acc, nearly all other stats are under 10 though.

sevilla have just offered me a job in the start of feb, i've negotiated to ask for a 90k p/w wage(!) and to wait til end of season. not actually even remotely tempted to go though. now if barcelona came... ;)

Agreed urban, Gio will be a legend in this game, think I'll have to sell modric cause he is very unhappy and his performances have begun to slip. Got him on the bench now and gio is tearing the league apart, him and Lennon both set to wingers, with tactics set to wide and touchline instructions to expliot the flanks!! He beats his man everytime he is 1on1 and has scored 7 in his last 4(3) games!!! Somehow he scored 2 pens in my last game against hull when he is not a designated pen taker!! Lol!!

Hey Urban, A bit about Hamsik. How much did you pay? Do you play him together with Modric? (Hamsik is a bit of a van der Vaart and with VDV I feel he and Modric canceled each other out). Are you still using that 4-3-2-1 formation when playing Hamsik? :thup:

Im using modric as a supporting AML and VDV as a CM/ deep lying playmaker,in Jan now with VDV notching up 11 goals and 17 assists and modric 2 goal and 12 assists,so i wouldn't say they cancel each other out.

To those who havent decided where to play Modric: Dont play him in as a CM, his jumping/heading stats means that he will lose a lot of duels in the centre, play Kranjcar or some other player in the centre instead. I use him as LM and it works ok. Would prefer to use him as AML, but since i play 4-4-2 he has to play as LM.

THANK YOU! I didn't know if I was ever going to get this answered.

Are you setting him as a Winger or Wide Midfielder? Support or Attack? I'd like to use he and Lennon as Wingers that Cut Inside, but don't know if that's too much attacking in a 4-3-1-2

Pav is quality if you give him a chance to shine i play him and defoe as my first choice with crouch as sub

keane started for me against the scum and scored in 93rd minute to win the match but i found it impossible to score past cech even tho i had 19 shots on target grrrrr

There is alot of younger players who have the potential to become world class and Bostock is gonna be world class alongside rose and parrett who has won player of the month for 3 months running on loan at southampton

God I have all kinds of selection headaches with my team cause they are all so quality. Kranjcar is scoring in the middle of the pitch at clutch times with regularity. Simon V is amazing and is very cosisent also Wilson had some nightmares, but I gave him a proper dressing down and now he is looking like when he first signed. He is flying all over the pitch. Jenas is making nice passes and he plays well. Lennon and bentley both do well when on.

Strikers I have 5. Ruud, Defoe, Keane, Pav, and Crouch and Pav couldn't get a sniff, but I put him on in a FA cup game and he got two wonderful goals. Selection headaches man. Ruud and Keane have done really well upfront. The back four is steady with King and woody and BAE and Srna at the backs. Corluka had 2 games that were terrible. Had to bench him. Gave away three penalty's in two games. Sickening! Now he has come back and doing well.

Biggest news is Im in third behind United and Chelski and Man City close behind. Arseanl are in 7th..... lol. Liverpool are in like 6th. Everton is in 5th. Woodgate has some offers coming in from Bayern for 11.25 million US and also........... REAL MADRID for 14.25 mill us. I accepted both as its perfect cause we have so much quality and depth back there that now Bassong or Corluka can get runs in more often. Also Dawson. Life if really good right now.

Finally got the full version. Heres what im going for.

Ins: (all over 48mnths)

Moussa Sissoko 16m

Nicolas Otamendi 2.7m

Luis Suares 17.5m

Arturo Vidal 5.5m

Vincent Enyeama 250k

Total: 42m

Outs:

Defoe 12m

Bentley 11m

Huddlestone 6.5m

Obika 750k

Parrett 975k

Dervitte 825k

Cudicini 1.2m

Total: 33m

Going to attempt to play a 442 A la jamjerome, with two ball winning cms. Looking to sell woodgate and dawson to bring in zapata, if ive got time b4 transfer window shuts. Also sacked alot of staff and signed 4 more coaches. I know from the demo that bentley and defoe probably be amazing at sunderland but i feel my teams more balanced now. let you know how im getting on.

Whats happenin guys! I decided to kick off a Spurs game of my own.

Transfers In

Sandro - 9 mill

Transfers Out

GDS - 26 mill

Looking at the squad the only real place i could see that needed a new addition was the midfield and Sandro looks brilliant on this version, also been heavily linked with Spurs irl so i snapped him up.

I wasnt planning on selling GDS but City enquired i told them i want 26 mill (his min fee release clause) and to my delight they bid, so of he went. Barcelona recieved 5.25 mill due a clause in his contract.

I was happy with the squad and players i had at my disposal for the first season where my aim is to reach a cup final and qualify for Europe.

When i looked at the fixture list i couldnt believe my luck;

Tottenham 1-0 Stoke (A)

Tottenham 4-1 Hull (A)

Tottenham 3-1 Wolves (H)

Tottenham 4-1 Burnley (H)

We sit at the top of the league with maximum points :D

We also beat Palace 3-0 in the League Cup 3rd round, Liecester up next!

So a great start to the season for Spurs! Will update again around Jan!

i've been second for most of the season, then i went ahead by 2 but chelsea had a game in hand. then came a critical period of 3 very important matches, 1st vs dinamo bucharest, 2nd round CL - 2-0 win, 2nd vs chelsea i scraped a 1-0 win, going 5pts ahead, chelsea then drew with birmingham cutting it to 4 and then lost to stoke! so i'm now 4pts ahead with a game in hand. :D

28 games in.

3rd game btw, was against liverpool, League cup final. i played it once and was 2-0 ahead at half-time, threw away the lead went to penalties and it was 9-9 (we both missed 1) with reina about to take his when my ****ing laptop overheated. what a match. so i loaded it up again just now and just holidayed through it, not willing to put my nerves through it - and we won a 5-4 thriller in extra time! incredible.

so that's 4 league cup finals (2008,2009, 2010, 2011) in a row for spurs and 3 wins :)

let's see how far i can go in the CL and hopefully consolidate another league win too.

just got the game, started up as spurs of course, about 9 games into the season, lost all the games i expected to lose though, chelsea away 2-1, aston villa away 2-1 (king got sent off after 18 mins after modric put us in front after 10!! grrr). But sitting pretty in 3rd place with all other wins and a draw against man city away. All teams i've beaten though have been pretty low teams though, not big results apart from a 4 nil thrashing of everton at goodison!

Ins: Moussa Sissoko (16m) heard good things about him, but not really seen anything to show me he was worth the money, averages less than 7 rating and doesn't seem to get involved in any games, hopefully he'll improve of course!

Also brought in some young blood in Ansaldi (3m), Annan (2.8m), Otamendi (3m), Salvio (3.8m) and Areola (40k). Thiago from barce is coming in Jan for 400k too!

On the way out I sold huddlestone for 19million cash up front from city which i thought was an ace deal. Also got rid of bae to birmingham for 6million and hutton to sunderland for 6million also. Dawson also out for 3.1m to Hull and Dervitte to Conventry to 1.4m. Loaned out Bostock to ManU for 1million fee with no option to buy so hoping he can utilise their training facilities and come back a monster :) Annoyingly though united are asking to buy him and he already has Fergie as a favoured personnel so my greed may have backfired!!

Up front I'm mainly using a combo of Pav and Crouch, who are performing extremely well, with modric as an advanced playmaker support in the AML position and Lennon operating in the AMR position as an attacking winger.

2 CMs in the shape of Palacios and Sissoko (with Annan and Jenas as cover) in the form of ball winning mildfielders, both currenly to defend but i may experiment with that a bit and have one support (when jenas plays i change him to support but i dont think Sissoko is up to it yet).

At the back i've got Bale/Ansaldi, Woodgate/Bassong, King/Otamendi, Corluka/Naughton. Gomes stays in goal with Cudicini as cover.

Made a complete overhaul of the backroom staff and scouts, so all training is at least 4 stars now so hopefully stats will start getting higher.

Having problems with getting the best out of Modric though, and had to convince him to stay after he handed in transfer request to leave!!

For future, considering going for a box to box midfielder for the middle of the park, considered Hamsik but his tackling and work rate are poor, although possibly they'll improve in the future? Both 10 or less though so they won't ever be great I guess.

Well there's my starting summary over, have fun you spuds!! Will let you know how i do at january.

Finished 5th, 3 points behind Arse. Gutted.

In summer bought:

Dodo 9.5m

Sold:

Bentley (loan and fee)

Bale 10m.

Dissapointed that despite being better than Arsenal throughout the season and gaining four points from them, the jammy bar stewards still finished above me :@.

oh god, after my dissapointing 7th placed finish in season 1 (too many draws, managed to win the League Cup though) Inter have come in and unsettled Modric who has now handed in a transfer request...

He was easily my best and most consistent player last season, anyone think I should cash in or hold on to him for dear life??

Currently 3rd after 14 games, W-7 D-5 L-2, Crouch is on fire recently with 2 hat-tricks in a row, 10 goals in 13 games, Lennon has 11 assists in 14 prem games, consistantly destroying every teams wing backs which is nice too see, hoping too keep him involved as long as possible because I rate him IRL, but after a couple more seasons can see him becoming a bench player. Modric is on fire and actually happy, everything is looking good so far. I wouldnt' say this FM is the easiest, but i'm concerned with the ease some people are winning the prem or getting a champions league place in their first season...seeing as Spurs are the only team I can last playing with, it's a shame..

EDIT : Just seen the post above mine, unlucky mate but comforting too know it's not too easy..

oh god, after my dissapointing 7th placed finish in season 1 (too many draws, managed to win the League Cup though) Inter have come in and unsettled Modric who has now handed in a transfer request...

He was easily my best and most consistent player last season, anyone think I should cash in or hold on to him for dear life??

i'd hate to lose him personally, my favourite spurs player - but he is replaceable. he's been phenomenal so far for me, in apr 2011, stats of 2 seasons: 63 starts, 21 subs, 25 goals, 35 assists avging 7.37~

that goal / assist return is ridiculous imo for someone with a 'support' role as he has for me.

ridiculous CL semis in mine.

sporting 3-1 inter

me 2 - 3 wolfsburg (bloody dzeko!)

i'll be kicking myself if i go out here because i've had genuinely the easiest run in anyone could've hoped for after my group of death in the group stage: dinamo bucharest in the 1st knockout stage, espanyol in the quarters and now wolfsburg and in all likeliness, sporting in the final.

(one game away from winning the league again btw, 34 games in. :))

Anybody else really struggling to keep a hold of finances in the first season? I'm losing between £4-5.5m a month a the minute and my balance has dropped from £18m at the start of the season to £5.5m and it's only the 1st of December.

I've seen people on here getting offers of about £20m for Gio and Huddlestone, I wish I was getting offered that amount of money, actually I wish I was getting offered any money for anyone. I don't like to list players and offer them since you hardly get any money for them but the only interest i've had is an enquiry for Huddlestone from Liverpool to which I replied £7.5m even though I wouldn't have accepted that which they didn't fancy and a loan offer for Gio with a £2.5m future fee.

Because of this I haven't signed any players so i'm stuck with the original squad for now. I'm currently sitting in 6th position 2 points behind Villa who have a game in hand and 1 point infront of Evertom who also have a game in hand. I've had a memorable 2-0 win over Liverpool at WHL who are currently in a dissapointing 10th place having lost 6 games in 14 and also a narrow 1-0 against Chelsea, also at WHL. My record after 14 games is 7-3-4. One of those was a 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford in which Berbatov scored 4 but I have no idea how we lost as we played quite well, a penalty a 40 yarder and 2 mistakes meant we came away with nothing. Other poor results were a 3-0 loss to Bolton, 3 shots on target and 3 goals from a long punts over everyone summed it up that day, also had a 0-0 draw to Stoke where they parked the bus and 2-2 at 19th placed Birmingham.

I'm in the Qtr final of the League Cup and got Wigan next so i'm hopeful of getting through that and possibly winning it.

One thing I've noticed happening regularly is players making a pass to the the CB's when they are level with the 18 yard box but playing the ball behind them and the striker runs in and gets a shot at goal. It's already cost me 2 goals this season and it's happened at least another 4 times, it's really getting to me as there is nothing I can really do to stop it as it's not a tactical issue.

Please say some other people have noticed this?

i'd hate to lose him personally, my favourite spurs player - but he is replaceable. he's been phenomenal so far for me, in apr 2011, stats of 2 seasons: 63 starts, 21 subs, 25 goals, 35 assists avging 7.37~

that goal / assist return is ridiculous imo for someone with a 'support' role as he has for me.

modric.th.jpg

guess that's decided it then :(

our finances are awful so I'm not surprised this happened, was only given £2.7m for the 2nd season.

have to start looking around for replacements sharpish!

won the league, ended on 95 pts (97 first season but with a +73 GD this time instead of +57). i'm in the summer window and half of my ****ing awesome staff want to move on / and have! will post screenshots in the morning, really pleased with how the season turned out because i didn't feel we were playing as well as last season but once everyone got used to the extra aggressiveness of the tactic the goals strolled in from all over, defederico/crouch/suarez/modric/defoe/hamsik all chipping in with plenty.

but on the other hand, i've signed franck ****ing ribery on a free transfer! i got a msg saying he was being taken off my shortlist when i clicked on him to see how he was doing to notice (in july) that he was without a club! of course barcelona inter united liverpool chelsea lyon had already offered him a contract but i decided to go in heavy (£85k a week, 2.5m signing on fee) because he's, of course, bloody awesome and he actually chose me! wasn't at all expecting it. now i need to give a real think to what formation to play next season.

i'm further considering buying edin dzeko and rene adler, but peter crouch and gomes have been doing so well for me.. also need to get rid of woodgate who's really been struggling with injuries and buy another top class CB i think.

btw i looked at bayerns transfers out and they also released klose, van buyten and van bommel as well as ribery, very strange. wonder if any other top player's run his contract out and i'm missing out.

Diego is the player I would love to be able to sign. He looks immense in the game.

I'm still going strong. Top of the table clash v Chelsea ended in a draw. But lost to Arsenal away in the next game.

21 played, 2 defeats (Prem).

Interestingly, throughout the season the only touchline instructions I've been using are to instruct (standard, counter, attack, overload). I've not yet used specific instructions (i.e. exploit wings). I suppose this is a good thing relating to consistency and team structure. However, with the players I'm hoping to sign (massive Jan clear out with players off and coming in) I might have to consider changing formation to make the most of the talent I have in the squad.

Has to be 4 at the back - the conundrum I have is whether I play 1 or 2 up front. At the moment, in my dearmrlevy tactic (linked in this thread) I have 3 central mids: ball winning / box 2 box / deep lying playmaker. Hamsik is playing as a box 2 box and is simply magical. However I reckon he can do even more damage further up the field with more of an attacking duty.

I guess I'm concerned to be tinkering too much because of the success I'm having at the moment.

thing with diego is his natural fitness = 10, so he'd only be useful for every other game.

guardiola wants modric and modric wants to go - barcelona are one of his 2 favoured clubs. i'm heartbroken because i could still keep him forcibly but i really like modric and want to cater for his enjoyment too...... don't know what to do.

i do have ribery now of course as a ready made replacement, on a free no less, and if i get £30m it'd mean i could afford to upgrade to adler as well as bring sakho in getting rid of gomes and woodgate - but then that's losing 3 very vocal parts of my team and thus possibly losing a big part of it's identity.

When the game starts and other managers start to tap up my players, I offer brand new spanking contracts and the players in question accept. I'm assuming their loyalty attribute increases when that happens. Best thing to do is to start tapping up their players.

@iamjerome

what system are you playing? im most interested to know how you have set modric and lennon.

also 1 thing to note is what you set your manager experience as at the begining, i always start as the lowest - sunday league.

i have noticed in the past when i have used international footballer that it makes things easier, players respond better to your tactics and you can attract more players and staff.

that is something to take into consideration when comparing how successful different people have been in FM.

iv had a mixed set of results, in my 1st 4 games won 1, drawn 2 lost 1. havent signed anyone and just sold gio to city.

il keep an eye on ribery too, thanks for that.

edit:

sorry, i just read back through the thread and found where you described it before.

who do you play as your other ball winning midfielder? im assuming 1 is palacios.

how have you set your defence? are they on default marking or have you changed it to zonal?

i found zonal to be flawed as hell in the demo so i've been sticking with default. my ball winners are felipe melo or palacios or sissoko. i just have one as such and hamsik as box2box (or advanced playmaker if i'm playing a poor team).

i set myself to an international footballer yep, although i've been struggling to attract anyone especially noticeable until ribery just now (but then i have won the league twice).

just sold woodgate back to boro for £8m and after literally 2 months of media interaction, signed jonny evans for £17.5m who now dislikes alex ferguson as he 'hit back' at him when he signed.

couldn't get dzeko who instead moved to inter (CL winners) for a cool £36m.

my asst. manager now believes my strike force of defederico, suarez, crouch and defoe is my weak link - which sort of makes sense due to the last 2 based on reputation but they've been fantastic for me, according to overall 11 crouch has scored 67 in 75 at 7.55 and defoe 29 in 37 at 7.62. how can i dump one of them? (although i totally would've had i got dzeko).

scouts found me this 19yo regen brazilian dc/dm/mc who looks INSANE, costing me £7m and only has 3 star potential but has incredible stats in all the right areas imo for a CB and good CBs are good to get cheap and early in this game.

i've had a bid accepted of £25m for rene adler but i cancelled it because i haven't got the heart to sell gomes. modric and lennon haven't put in a transfer request either, i've had to tell them (as well as felipe melo, palacios and bassong) to stay and match their ambitions with this club just this summer though, i'm glad i've kept the core together (so far, fingers crossed).

thanks mate, thats quite useful.

im keeping an eye on melo aswell didnt think he would come to spurs. i havent brought anyone in yet as i feel we have enough squad players theres no point bringing anyone in unless they add more quality. i like keeping most of the core aswell.

modric has been unsetteled, and that unsettled his mate kranjcar and also keane, but after playing 1 game he was happy again so i offered a new contract. this is after 4 games lol. this is a bit silly as i can see him as a loyal player.

just got woodgate back from his initial injury and then he got injured in his 1st training session. clown.

im not a crouchy fan, but i may have to use him to climb up the table, does anyone show interest in him after he done so well for you?

i remember in 09 i had pav as my top scorer but still no one was interested.

nope, noone's interested in him which plays a part in having no need to upgrade from him. melo took a £85k p/w salary to bring in, which hurts. but my finances are in good shape now with WHL now upgraded to 55k (another upgrade this summer although this was just 3k). additionally CL brings a lot of money too, i got 20m from tv revenues there + 550k for every group win x 4 = £2m + 2 draws = 500k, + 2.5mx2 for winning 1st knockout / qf and anothr 2 for being in the semis, so that's 30m there which more or less negated all the money i was losing the season before monthly because of spurs' financial state in this.

balance is 29.9m atm, but i've spent 19m net on transfers + the stadium upgrade + the board cleared off all the loan debts, so now it's just the transfer clauses eg monthly installments + wages that are my expenditures.

i would buy just 1 player if i started again, that'd be anthony annan. that guy is a bloody beast but i went for pricier (and frankly overrated) moussa sissoko who hasn't impressed me really yet. rest of the squad's more than fine really, so unless you get silly bids (like i did for hudd and gio) i'd keep em all. pav i made a wrong call in selling because like crouch, his stats are quite overrated imo. although i think all strikers generally are a bit too good it seems.

that's exactly the reason i sold woody btw, he just kept getting injured and i hated being in a situation of having to put corluka in the centre. even ledley's averaged more games than him this past 2 seasons.

speaking of which i noticed a fatal flaw with the brazilian regen super 19yo.... he has a natural fitness of 10 (ledley has 8 for christs' sake!) he came to me needing a bloody rest / jaded, my coach said give him a break from the game or else it'll cost him long term damage.

i've signed another ****ing ledley!

is there any way to improve NF?

I've found my finances are a bit of a problem at the moment even though I'm only 7 games into season 1. I've bought Sandro for £9m and have just bought Suarez, although I arranged for him not to come until next summer as I wouldn't be able to afford him. Fingers crossed I'll be able to shift Keane and someothers in January to help with the bankroll. I managed to sell Thud but only for £5m to Liverpool.

the only other offers I got were persistend ones from Man Citeh and Man U for Bostock who I didn't let go because I think he'll be really good.

I did let Gio go to Everton on a seaosn long loan though as I wasn't sure how he would perform so decided to give him the season there. I put in the buy clause something like £20m knowing Everton wouldn't be able to afford that and if they can I'd probably accept it anyway.

So, I've basically got rid of one DM and replaced him with a better one and that's it. I've not been able to get anyone else for financial reasons and I've had no other offers. I'm not overly bothered because I don't think the squad you get needs improving that much, and I know I'm only a few games in but I'm sitting pretty at the top at the moment with 6 wins and 1 draw (damn Defoe missing a pen and numerous 1-on-1's in 0-0 away to Bolton - who are currently 4th) and only 2 goals conceeded. I was just wondering why people seem to have opened the game, decided to play as spurs and then systematically removed most players when there's not really any need? Granted the same can't be said about the backroom staff which needed replacing as soon as I saw their stats.

Also, has anyone else had major problems with Modric being covetted by other teams? I've seen it by some posters but not by all. One of my first emails was regarding him and how he felt he needed to leave for a bigger club and then ManU are bidding all the time and he's getting more and more upset. I've offered him 2 very large contracts to stay and they've not worked, I've praised his performances (when they've been good), I've given him responsibility by tutoring Bostock which he's happy with and have given him the vice captaincy. He still seems set on leaving. Did this happen to everyone and if not, how can other peoples games be different so early on?

Archived