FM10: Tottenham Hotspur - Come on you Spurs!

tottenhamfmo7

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished October in Season 1. We're in 6th. Sold Pav, Hutton, Jenas (loan option). Brought in Sandro and have Suarez joining us in January. All in all, things are going okay but I had tactic/positioning question related to how to use Modric.

I'm playing a 4-3-1-2 broken out as such:

Gomes

Bale / King / Woodgate / Corluka

Modric / Palacio / Lennon

Kranjcar

Keane / Crouch

I started out with Modric at the AMC spot, but he didn't take off. Since I moved him out left, he's been good and Kranjcar has been amazing. A few questions then about how to get the most out of Modric:

Should I use him as an ML or AMC? Support or Attack?

If an ML, should I have him as a Winger or Wide Midfielder? Hugging touchline? Cutting in? Moving into Channels?

I've also thought about switching to a 4-2-3-1 that would have Huddlestone and Palacio in the middle, Modric, Kranjcar, Lennon as my attacking trio and Keane/Juarez as my strikers. I felt getting Modric up on the wing might be the best use for him, but don't want to upset the cohesion of the squad mid-season.

Sorry for the long post, but I'd like to hear the best way to get the most out of Luka.

i'm going to sell jenas and dawson, and buy a class new centre mid to go alongside one of palacios/mavuba/sissoko. the centre back i've decided to chase is gamberini.

not sure who to go for, i'm looking at marchisio, momo sissoko who's insane for some reason still but only at being a ball winner - which may be just right anyway, defour, inler and a couple of others but i dunno..

also looking for a cheap back up GK but i'm struggling to find any.

finished first season and came 5th above arsenal alwaya a bonus,

gomes

corluka wooodgate bassong BAE/O hara

lennon veloso/wilson jenas modric/krancjar

crouch keane

sold gio, bale for total of 25 mil and kicked bentley out on loan and sold to celtic

got diego penny as bak up cahill, nevid(from cska moscow) loaned out defoe to newcastle and owen to pompey

After running through the demo a few times looking at players and tactics. hers what ive come up with.

sold:

Defoe Sunderland 10m

Bentley Sunderland 11m

Huddlestone Sunderland 6.25m

Dean Parrett Sunderland 1m

Jonathan Obika Stoke 900k

Pavlyuchenko Lyon (loan) 1.2m

Signed:

Hernanes Sao paulo 14.5m 48mnths

Juan Manuel Vargas Fiorentina 9m 48mnths

Luis Suarez Ajax 20m 48mnths

Nicolas Otamendi Velez 2.5m 48mnths

Formation:

Gomez

Corluka King Bassong Ekotto

Hernanes Modric

Lennon Krancjar Vargas

Suarez

Playing on the demo so it might not be to wise to get my self into that much debt once i get the full version, but im still happy with the team. Havent played any proper games yet, so we'll see how it goes. 4-0 vs westham??

summer '10 window:

sold - hutton 12m -> sunderland, kranjcar 14.25m -> galatasaray, dawson 10m -> wolves, jenas 12m -> man city.

bought - zezinho -> 2.3m, gamberini -> 15m, felipe melo -> 21m.

real madrid enquired about mavuba and lennon but i just plain ignored the initial request and for the latter, i quoted 60m at which point they withdrew and signed jesus navas for 42.5m (and anyukov for 23m and someone else too(cazorla i think) for 29m...insane.) my fans are distraught with me for selling jenas (heh) dawson and kranjcar though, getting on my back about it too - unbelievable. trust in me you *****.

i'm in mid-aug so far, beat chelsea on penalties for charity shield but i'm failing miserably with regards to finding youth products to fill up my reserves/u18 with. got a academy player through called wigglesbottom or something like that, AMR with 3 star potential so that's something at least.

i am in dire need of a prolific striker. crouch has been scoring a lot, but keane has had 7 in 22 appearances, pav has had 3 in 10, and worst of all defoe has scored 1(!!) in 18.

any suggestions? i am playing a 442 with crouch as a supporting target man.

I bought Gignac first season.. He isn`t world class but he is better than the other strikers (Well Crocuh is better of course :)).. Doesn`t cost to much either, I think I paid around 6 mill for him

It's luck. In one demo save game I could not sell anyone. In another save game I generated £30M+.

In my current game, I've now managed to sell Pav, Hutton and Keane for a combined £27M (all leaving in Jan).

Which means....hello to Sissoko and Ben Afra.

!!

I've decided to also get rid of Bentley, Jenas and possibly Dawson. Spurs might not have a lot of dosh in the bank, but there's plenty to be made in the windows.

end of my 2nd season, spurs got taken over by a consortium, as we were in a bit of debt (had only spent what i made from transfers, and nothing too large)...

so my new chairman is henrik larsson... will post images later on today

That is hilarious :) In real life he just retired so maybe he has some planes?

I've decided to also get rid of Bentley, Jenas and possibly Dawson. Spurs might not have a lot of dosh in the bank, but there's plenty to be made in the windows.

All of them are decent enough squad players but really not good enough if you want to build a title winning team... I replaced Bentley with Chindeu Obasi, so far he looks like a good signing

This financial side is a major bug bear. Spurs have always had a solid base (14th richest club in the world) and unless you over-spend there is no way the club would go bust.

I think the researchers have got it very very wrong.

Yeah I`m really working on the financial aspect...among others reduced wages with 200' p/week. This year I`m in CL so hopefully I won`t go in red. I think it`s an interesting challenge, earlier editions you always made a ton of money, now you really have to work for it. I don`t know if this is a general thing about FM10 or it`s just Tottenham...

Crap! well that didnt work. Drew 2-2 with hammers, 0-0 with Burnley and lost 1-0 to Bolton! back to the drawing board, me thinks.

Still having real trouble with the tactics, i havent been using the tactics creator at all. has anyone hear had success with it? if so have you been using balanced or fluid, and if crouch is set to tm, what shall i set suarez/keane to?

Crap! well that didnt work. Drew 2-2 with hammers, 0-0 with Burnley and lost 1-0 to Bolton! back to the drawing board, me thinks.

Still having real trouble with the tactics, i havent been using the tactics creator at all. has anyone hear had success with it? if so have you been using balanced or fluid, and if crouch is set to tm, what shall i set suarez/keane to?

i have been using fluid.

Also been following Iamjerome's advice with tactics;

"a key thing is match strategies, i always use counter when odds are against me, and standard to start a game if not moving into control or attacking or overload dependent on how the opposition starts. btw switch back to full back settings instead of wing back for DR/DL against top teams too"

I started really well (was top for a couple of games) but now it's all going downhill (although I was unlucky to lose at Stamford Bridge 2-1 just now)

I've been playing 4-4-2

Gomes

Corluka-King/Woodgate-Bassong-Bale/Ekotto

Lennon-Palacios-van der Vaart-Modric

Crouch/Keane-Defoe/van Nistelrooy

I'm thinking of altering my tactics slightly to try to turn things around (havent won in the league in 5) and am currently sitting in 7th.

I signed Jovetic for £16.75m VDVaart for £8.5m (who gets good ratings as an ADV PM but I'm not 100% convinced yet)

Also, does anyone have any pointers for getting the best out of Lennon, he started great for me and was the league's leading assist maker but he's tailed off now and his ratings are hovering around high 6's...

will try some of the things pointed out by my superior peers in this thread!

So what are you chaps doing about our staff?

They're really terrible. Bond and Sherwood in particular but no-one is really class.

Is anyone sacking and changing? Who are you bringing in? Is there someone good who is a free agent or just finishing his contract?

Anyone?

I sacked nearly all of my coaching staff, keeping only Jordan and Allen and bringing in McCoist and Kevin Taylor from Boro

I also brought in Soskjaer as my assman :D

for scouts I brought in Hamilton, Vetere, Renatinho and Oliver Bierhoff.

Edit: just used some of the tactical tips from iamjerome and a couple of others and won confortably 3-1 at Stoke, cheers guys :thup:

I had problems in the demo initially because I would create a new tactic and then tinker with the individual instructions causing chaos.

It's best to think about the type of players you have and what strengths they have and then think about a formation you want to work towards (by buying the right players for the right positions). So initially, just make the most of what you've got.

Decide on what philosophy and style you want to be responsible for. Remember - this is the essence of the game. Which is why you should not take someone else's tactic (you could study one for the sake of eduction) but create your own. Dont try anything too fancy. Get the formation and get the players (based on attributes) into the right positions and make sure there is a balance between duties. Think about how it would work in real life. Would playing Hudd and Jenas in the middle really be beneficial to you?

Also - be patient. It's football. One result might change your fortunes. It might take time for your players to bed in and what you do re: man management might influence form.

The tactic I created worked well in the demo but I did lose some games. So far in my full save game, I'm unbeaten, and second in the Prem. But I've yet to suffer a blip, so perhaps I've been lucky with form. We'll see after 38 games.

Just keep plugging away mate.

I had problems in the demo initially because I would create a new tactic and then tinker with the individual instructions causing chaos.

It's best to think about the type of players you have and what strengths they have and then think about a formation you want to work towards (by buying the right players for the right positions). So initially, just make the most of what you've got.

Decide on what philosophy and style you want to be responsible for. Remember - this is the essence of the game. Which is why you should not take someone else's tactic (you could study one for the sake of eduction) but create your own. Dont try anything too fancy. Get the formation and get the players (based on attributes) into the right positions and make sure there is a balance between duties. Think about how it would work in real life. Would playing Hudd and Jenas in the middle really be beneficial to you?

Also - be patient. It's football. One result might change your fortunes. It might take time for your players to bed in and what you do re: man management might influence form.

The tactic I created worked well in the demo but I did lose some games. So far in my full save game, I'm unbeaten, and second in the Prem. But I've yet to suffer a blip, so perhaps I've been lucky with form. We'll see after 38 games.

Just keep plugging away mate.

Great post that ^ :thup:

Hamsik as been phenomenal for me in that sort of 'right place at the right time' kinda way.

Absolute belter of a game v Burnley away (last night) saw me go 2-0 in 14 minutes. I 'touchlined' a shout to the lads asking for them to attack. 2-2 by half-time. The 3-2 in the second half. Burnley then made it 3-3. Late in, final seconds, Hamsik smacked in the winner. I went mental.

This game continues to provide immense moments, much like the real thing.

Missed out on Guti to play in Midfield... damn it! I'm happy with Palacios and Huddlestone, with Jenas (and eventually O'Hara for cover) but I'd quite like one extra. Any suggestions? I've sold Hutton for around 10mil (thank you Man City) and so have 16million to spend - any ideas?

Alternatively, I've considered using Modric in the middle and having Kranjcar out on the left. Anyone else done something similar - how have you found it's worked?

am I the only one that likes to try and keep it as realistic as possible?

I've sold THud and replaced him with Sandro and apart from that I've concentrated on backroom staff, coaching and scouting for youth. I know there is obviously a lot out there so you can basically change the entire Spurs team but I like to try and get the best out of what I've got, especially when you haven't played with these players yet.

ManUre keep trying to unsettle Modric which has been a pain so far but I've told them where they can stick their £18.75m and am hoping Modric just buckles down and performs. I guess if he doesn't then come Jan I'll have to look at replacing him but don't really want to.

I'm currently sitting top, albeit after only 14 games but have won 12 and drawn 2 and only conceeded 5 goals. I guess that's the first unrealistic thing about managing Spurs....a fairly tight defence.

One thing I find strange is how FM2010 prefers to play Palacios as a CM instead of a DM. I know he performs fine as a DM in the game but seems a little odd when Jenas is classified as a DM and not a CM or even ACM. Oh well.

I signed Sandro on loan but the money I'm making/about to make on replacing the others will allow me to sign my own players. I reckon the challenge would be to sign one player and try and push on with the squad you have. I did that in the demo (signed van der Vaart only) but I can never help myself in the full game.

Hutton, Bentley, Pav, Jenas along with 2/3 others are just not getting games so why not sale to spend?

I know what you mean urbanjunkie. Hutton/Pav rarely get a game for me. I always like to leave it until at least Jan window before I start making wholesale changes though. It's nice to see what people can do.

I don't like the fact spurs have no money though. Seems a little unrealistic but so be it.

I signed Sandro on loan but the money I'm making/about to make on replacing the others will allow me to sign my own players. I reckon the challenge would be to sign one player and try and push on with the squad you have. I did that in the demo (signed van der Vaart only) but I can never help myself in the full game.

Hutton, Bentley, Pav, Jenas along with 2/3 others are just not getting games so why not sale to spend?

I haven't tried it yet, but if I just spend the 6 or 7 million they give and sit tight for a few weeks without offering players or transfer listing them, the big boys will come and offer silly money for medium players like Pav, Hutton or Gio. It's worth a try. has anyone done that?

Alternatively, I've considered using Modric in the middle and having Kranjcar out on the left. Anyone else done something similar - how have you found it's worked?

I've raised the same issue (see my post above) - is anyone having any special success with Modric that we can utilize? To restate my earlier post, and inspired by urbanjunkie's nice summation of tactical development, I'm drawn to using Modric / Kranjcar (or Dos Santos) / Lennon as AML/AMC/AMR in a 4-5-1 (although the game defines it as a 4-3-3). It seems to best utilize their individual skills, while also allowing me to sell some STs to raise money. But is this alignment perhaps too aggressive?

this is so frustrating, Pav has played for about 2/3 time and these have all/mostly been in the Carling Cup.

So I've reached Jan and I want to sell him now to create some funds, he's listed but there's nobody even interested in him, I'm offering him out for about £4m and nobody is even looking twice...

I should be asking this on the main forum, but i like talking with fellow Spurs mates better:

How can people already be in their second or third season? I realise that people play 10 and more hours a day but they need to watch the games to see where to tweak things and make calls from the sidelines or substitutions. For that you need to see a couple of full games and then move onto extended highlights. You can't play at too high a speed either.

So how do they do it?

Archived