FM10 Portsmouth Thread

Sheer Class

Right, im going to give a real go at it at Portsmouth this time. I plan on selling a few, to reduce the wage bill, but only bring in 3 or 4 players, like Smithies and Shelvey, who obviously have great talent, and a couple of expieranced players, like Nonda and perhaps Edgar Davids for a season.

Im going to try and devise my own tactic, and hopefully finish in a respectable posistion in the first season, I shall keep you all updated :).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to actually playing football I've not had much chance to play. Five games into the season I've got five wins, I'm two points clear of Chelsea at the top and in the next round of the league cup. I'm happy with my squad, mostly young players who can hang about for a good few years so I can save on transfer funds. Finances in the black and should keep building up. Good times.

Right, I am starting a again, and with all my lonely updates.. hopefully that will get the ball rolling for others to join in, and get this thread active again! :thup:

I wont be making any signings, and if I do.. it will only be; 1. Smithies 2. Shelvey

In that order, depending if I can afford one or the other. Possibly Dickov as well, due to him being an amazing tutor, and high Determination.

Talking about Determination, there is 19 first teamers with 15 Determination or above, and 7 of them are 18 or above. So we have a very VERY determined squad, which will hopefully have the heart to battle relegation.

Unfortunately there are no updates or xml files that add the -9 points, without messing the game up in the future, so I can't set a Portsmouth challenge with the administration issues...

Looks as if I wont be signing either Smithies or Shelvey.

In fact, I wont make any signings at all, and the only players to leave the club, will be u21's looking for match experience :thup:

Want to keep this as realistic as possible.

With the transfer window closing, I hadn't bought/sold any players.. which left me exactly £99.12k in the red.

Peter Storrie as usual, is after the club... would love to have someone different for a change!

Pre-Season Results

FR        W        5-1        Havant & Waterlooville
FR        W        2-0        Bocholt
FR        W        6-0        FCN Sint-Niklaas
FR        W        1-0        Beveren
FR        W        3-0        Antwerp
FR        W        3-0        Home Farm

Shame I conceded a goal in the first game, but pretty solid results throughout!

The Tactic

Well, I have had so many Portsmouth saves over the course of FM10. I thought I would try out a formation I haven't yet used!

I have gone with the traditional 'central minded' tactic which best suits Portsmouth, just this time.. I have some width down the right which has proved difficult to handle in some of the games I have played. The AI gets confused on to where my AMR is playing, and he often or not loses his marker.

tactics.png

Belhadj completely dominates that left hand side of the pitch, and you will see him run that flank all day long! With 16 Work Rate and 17 Stamina, he is the perfect man for the position!

At AMR, Boateng/Smith can play there and I have promoted Nlundulu to the first team, who will also be rotated in.

In the middle of the park, I have a fair few players that can play there, and promoting Cuvelier from the u18s to the First Team, should mean he will get a lot of game time as well this season.

The Plan

- The first year plan is survival with the players at my disposal. Hopefully a 13/14th place finish will be in sights!

- Only buying domestic players. I will be only purchasing British players. Mainly English though!

- Win a trophy in the first 3 years. When I say a trophy I just mean, Carling Cup/FA Cup... not the Champions League!

- To be an established top 10 team in 3-5 years time. Possibly get into the Champions League with 5 seasons as well!

- To have won every competition within 10 seasons. Realistic target, World Cup can be included if I get the England job at any point.

Takeover

Thank god it collapsed! Means there is still hope that Peter Storrie wont be my new owner...

takemeover.png

I don't want a tycoon or sugar daddy. I just want an owner that can give me around £4-8m a season to spend, keep the club flowing nicely and their name isn't Storrie.

The League

James is out for 7 weeks, and that has left me putting the terrible Ashdown in goal. The man is useless.

If it wasn't for him, I would of beat Stoke. He let in such soft goals. Not a bad start to the season if you ask me though;

[font="Trebuchet MS"][b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]                        0-1                       [b] Liverpool[/b]

- [color="Red"]Tal Ben-Haim off (90+1)[/color]                                 - Dirk Kuyt (86)

[b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]                        3-0                       [b] Birmingham[/b]

- Tommy Smith (45)
- Antony Vanden Borre (54)
- Jamie O'Hara (Pen 82)

[b]Tottenham[/b]                          2-2                       [b] [color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]

- Jermaine Defoe (49)                                       - Kevin-Prince Boateng (29)
- Niko Kranjcar (90)                                          - Tommy Smith (62)

[b]Burnley[/b]                              1-2                        [b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]

- André Bikey (12)                                            - John Utaka (5, 87)

[b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]                        1-1                       [b] Sunderland[/b]

- John Utaka (4)                                               - Darren Bent (43)

[b]Stoke City[/b]                           3-2                        [b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]

- Dave Kitson (44)                                             - Antony Vanden Borre (6)
- Liam Lawrence (47)                                        - Florent Cuvelier (Pen 72)
- Tuncay Sanli (88)[/font]

The Liverpool game I did deserve to lose, they had 26 shots.. I had 3! Enough said.

We destroyed the ever losing Birmingham, and quite rightly kept a cleansheet.

Tottenham got lucky against us, both of their goals coming from former Pompey players, and even a former Spurs player scored against them! Either way, a point out of a game that I was expecting to lose, isn't bad!

I scraped a win against Burnley, it wasn't the greatest of games.

The Sunderland game was a brilliant end to end encounter, with James keeping us in it and with their keeper keeping them in it as well!

Stoke game, as said before.. we didn't deserve to lose, we deserved all 3 points. It was only down to Ashdown for us losing! If we hadn't lose James a couple days before, we would of coasted to victory.

After the opening 6 games of the Premier League, we are 9th. Won 2, Drawn 2 and Lost 2.

Not a bad start imo, it is just going to hit us hard the next few weeks with James out, the sooner we get him back, the better! United up next, Ashdown in goal.. they are in highscoring form as well... Oh great!

The Carling Cup

Well, so far so good. I really want to be getting to the Quarters or Semi-Finals.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]                        2-1                       [b] Southend[/b]

- John Utaka (64, 86)                                       - Scott Malone (69)

[b][color="Blue"]Portsmouth[/color][/b]                        4-3                       [b] Fulham[/b]

- Kevin-Prince Boateng (7, 25)                          - Danny Murphy (Pen 11, 60)
- Tommy Smith (54)                                         - Andy Johnson (86)
- John Utaka (80)
[/font]

Southend instantly bounced back when Utaka scored, which got me scared. The Nigerian then secured a brace and the match for us. Should of been a lot easier against a L1 side.

The Fulham game we absolutely dominated, we should of won it 4-1, making look a lot more convincing, but again, Ashdowns comedy moments come out and he lets in some pathetic goals. Danny Murphy's second goal was a 35 yard free kick, which in the end 'rolled in' and it was an easy save, where as Johnsons went right at him and he didn't even try to save. Poor, wish I did get Smithies at the beginning, but I had no money!

The next round we have West Ham, which could be a hard game. It is the third home game in the Carling Cup in a row though, so I could strike lucky!

You can use the 'dreaded' FMRTE. I didn't bother though.. I would prefer to not have -9, than install that crap on my laptop! :p

There is a .xml that does it, but then it takes away the 25 man registration rule. :thdn:

START AS PORTSMOUTH! :D

Hmm don't really want to install it either. I'd always be tempted to have a look at something, I'd probably turn into Polska :eek:

I can't as them now, if you read my location, but I will when I have the opportunity. Probably after exams actually. I expect you to have brought the thread back to life by then :p

Hmm don't really want to install it either. I'd always be tempted to have a look at something, I'd probably turn into Polska :eek:

I can't as them now, if you read my location, but I will when I have the opportunity. Probably after exams actually. I expect you to have brought the thread back to life by then :p

That actually made me LOL, you don't want to end up being attached to FMRTE!

I will revive this thread! :thup: I look foward to your return to the FM world.

Results have been going absolutely amazing as of late. I am so excited playing this save :D Makes it so much more worth it, when your playing with the 'actual' Pompey squad without signing anyone and stuff!

Well, I haven't sold anyone either.. So I am £100k in the red every week on wages. So until I get took over, I am leaking money everywhere! :D

I wont buy/sell anyone in the first season, I should stay up.. and then do some minor rebuilding on the squad next season.

Still only buying English though, I will be the next O'Neill rather than Redknapp.

Jesus, as soon as James returns, Ashdown is out for 4 weeks. I was nearly reduced to using a u18 keeper.. thank god! :o

Cheers CPS :) Atleast I know I am not posting to nobody!

Again, you should definitely move onto a Portsmouth save after, it is a lot of fun trust me! Especially with the financial issues.

I could also do with the company :)

I haven't had a new owner yet as well, so it is getting worse at my club!

I am nearly £6m into the red. Without a takeover, I don't know how long I get till I go into Administration, I presume it is a lot LOT more yet. £30m possibly?

I lie 9th in the table at the moment, full updates to follow :thup:

No worries, it would be fun to get a handful of the regulars on here playing with the same team. Although I quite fancy starting a game in Portugal or Holland just using a squad of unemployed Brazilians that were unearthed on that Talented Unknowns thread.

Anyhow, have to get up at at 6am so really need to go for a kip - good luck with your Pompey save and I might take up the challenge in the coming weeks :thup:

Koroma, Nlundulu and Cuvelier all in my squad. Not first teamers, but seen as I am short of cash in this save, I might as well try and develop the little talent we have :thup:

Koroma making his first start for Portsmouth after being injured for the first part of the season, against West Ham in the Carling Cup...

Nlundulu and Cuvelier already improving on a lot of attributes, but still look abysmal.

Possible new takeover now at the end of November, with us now £6.5m in the red, and still losing £100k a week.. we are in desperate need of a takeover!

The newest one is this, hopefully bringing in a new owner will make the game fresh from old saves, as I have always had Storrie!

newtakeover.png

I have also drawn Blackpool in the FA Cup 3rd Round. So I look forward to that, as it is another home fixture!

Crashed out of the Carling Cup to West Ham in the 4th Round, they beat me 1-0.

Gael Nlundulu came 3rd in the Young Player of the Month award, and then came second in the goal of the month award in a 3-1 hammering of Hull. He skinned a couple people and continued to dribble from his own half and score a beautiful effort!

His attributes have gone up a bit, but they still don't look that cracky :(

Sickening, actually made me want to punch the living crap out of my laptop!

Never been so annoyed with FM10 in my life, c'mon.. give a guy a break!

sickeing.png

Dindane 4 goals in 2 games. Not bad from him, he is finishing like a pro!

Okay... this has made me feel a lot better.

Just when I was about to beat the crap out of my laptop again for conceding late, a quick switch to 'overload' and 'get ball forward' and we have the ball back into their net within minutes, from substitute Dindane, for his 5th goal in 3 games. Soon becoming a Pompey favourite down on the South Coast :thup:

yayayx.png

We did have an earlier goal disallowed, for what... I don't know! But the ref saw something that I didn't!

Well Dindane has only played 4/5 matches since coming back from injury, and I have slotted him into the 'deep lying forward' position on support.

Alongside him, having Utaka as the poacher (attack) and then whoever at AMR, as winger (attack).

Team took a major battering last night as well :thdn: Lost 4-1 to West Ham.

It's the last day of the season and I'm tied with Man City at the top, only ahead on goal difference.

table1.png

They have been top for almost the entire season, they were 10 points ahead at one stage, but they have drawn a couple of games and I have won my last 9, allowing me to go top with a 1-0 win against Man United.

positions.png

We are both away, I have the harder tie but if we both win they have to score at least two more goals than us.

fixtures.png

You started that game on the old patch didn't you Play_Up_Pompey! if I remembe correctly?

Nice work either way :D Impressive. Glad someone else is playing as Portsmouth, but I wouldn't expect anything different with that as their username.

KUTGW :thup:

I won! :D I was a bit lucky with two Arsenal players getting sent off and then scoring a late winner. I started this game unpatched so I had Sulaimman Al-Fahim as owner at the beginning but I am on 10.2 now.

win.png

Man City won 1-0 btw.

table2.png

It's the second title in a row and the closest I've experienced on FM. I didn't think we would do it because Man City were so far ahead but our form in the second half of the season was amazing. :D

The Premiership

Quick update on the last few games I have had.

Wont do the same layout as last time, as that took a ridiculously long time to lay out, so I will revert back to my old style updates. :thup:

Portsmouth 2-1 Man Utd

O'Hara (26) Boateng (32) - Maicon (42)

SHOCK RESULT and a stupidly even game, Maicon (the young Brazilian striker) scored for United and really, he could of had a few more. That was the weakest player in United's lineup, they didn't play a weak squad or anything.. we just took our chances!

Bolton 0-1 Portsmouth

Knight own goal (78)

Bolton absolutely battered us, 22 shots I think they ended with. They lost out on the game mainly due to absolute poor finishing and a ridiculous mistake from Knight! Either way, we took the 3 points in a game we wasn't favourites to win!

Portsmouth 2-3 Fulham

Smith (50) Utaka (73) - Nevland (3) Konchesky (69) Greening (90+4)

We never looked like winning this game, having to come behind twice thanks to that clumsy idiot of a goalkeeper Ashdown. Greening grabbed a deserved winner for Fulham, even though it was past the 3 minutes that was originally added on! Hell of a goal though.

Aston Villa 0-1 Portsmouth

Piquionne (27)

Thanks Villa, they rolled over for us and just gave up as soon as Piq scored that goal. If anything we should of made it 3 or 4 in the end, but poor finishing on our behalf halted that.

Portsmouth 2-4 Arsenal

O'Hara (6) Dindane (61) - Arshavin (23, 55) van Persie (Pen 29, 39)

Arsenal ran us ragged, we struck lucky 6 minutes in with a O'Hara wonder goal, which he just loves to do. After that... Arsenal went on a rampage! We was never going to win, but we put on a good show scoring 2 goals.

Everton 3-0 Portsmouth

Cahill (61) Baines (69) Vaughan (80)

I have nothing to say about this game, except we got absolutely battered, if Vaughan could finish better, Everton could of won that 9-0, easily. Dissapointing from Wilson to just let them walk through as well.

Portsmouth 3-1 Hull City

O'Hara (7) Piquionne (23) Nlundulu (86) - Vennegoor of Hesselink (24)

Destroyed them, and comfortably. Even Nlundulu got 2nd place in the goal of the month competition with his goal. He came out of his own half, skinning a couple of players and finishing powerfully. Easy game, 3 points!

Wolves 2-2 Portsmouth

Papa (52) Edwards (74) - Hreidarsson (Pen 7) Utaka (32)

We threw away a perfectly good 2-0 lead, and saying pleased at half time never works, so why do I even listen to my assistant manager. Was worried when Hreidarsson stepped up for the penalty but it was a beautiful finish!

West Ham 3-3 Portsmouth

Cole (12, 30) Brunt (48) - Vanden Borre (31) Dindane (79, 82)

A game we didn't deserve anything out of, but who do you bring on when your 3-0 down? DINDANE! Epic stuff from him, as he comes on the 70th minute and 12 minutes later he nets his second and gets us a point! Starting to like this guy now! We may have threw away the 3 points last week, but this week.. we fought back!

Man City 3-2 Portsmouth

See above! Sickening...

Portsmouth 2-1 Wigan

Again, see above!

Portsmouth 0-2 Blackburn

Chimbonda (66) Dunn (81)

Blackburn are 2nd in the league, so I wasn't expecting a win. Chimbonda injured himself scoring the goal and Dunn's was magical, top corner from 25 yards... like watching the old David Dunn we all know and love!

That is all for now!

I currently lie 8th in the league, level on points with 7th, 9th on 25 points and 10th with 24 points, that being Chelsea! They are doing so poor this season...

Absolutely shocking.

I am now in January 2010, and the £8m debt just came out, leaving my balance crippled! Could this mean administration soon? Or just the likelyness of a takeover happening?

portsmouthdebt.png

I got this news in my Inbox. :thup:

possible.png

Although, I am not fussed about the embargo as I wasn't going to buy anyone anyway!

What I was more worried was who I was 'supposed' to be replaced with;

newmanager.png

Obviously he wont replace me, it is just funny to see who they always suggest, never a serious suggestion!

I started again, deciding to keep pretty much the same squad instead of tinkering (which I utterly failed at last time)

Kanu, Ashdown and Hughes were the only three players to leave with no replacements being brought in.

The person who took me over was poor, I was quite happy though as I'm playing as Pompey for a challenge so the last thing I wanted was a sugar daddy.

6pxqio.jpg

He proceeded to pump in 95k...

Here are my results, doing really well. I am 6th in the league and notice the 2 most recent results. :smug:

etwi2d.jpg

Heres the result against United, I was ultra chuffed.

sxp53p.jpg

Utaka has definitely been my best player, been banging in the goals.

1zch4hu.jpg

Definitely been enjoying this save more than any other.

My Portsmouth team have started to crumble.

14th in the league now, with no wins in 6 or 7 games (includes 2 draws!).

In them 6 games I have played Everton, United, Chelsea.

Think I'm going back to where I belong - a game with Portsmouth.

Will start this in a bit, thinking of using a 4-1-3-2 formation, don't think I'll sign anyone, get rid of a few players though..

I've sent out Subotic on loan; if he does well, he'll come back and maybe play on the bench.

Played 6 friendlies, won 5, drew 1, scored 16, conceded 1, not bad. Was all against poor opposition but still, good way to go into the season.

Ty, you going to the final?

I wouldn't waste your time with Subotic, very low PA. Would go with Koroma when he gets back with injury if I was you :thup:

I am not going to the final, couldn't get tickets with my family. They all got tickets, and if they got an extra 2, them 2 would be half way across Wembley. So wouldn't even be with them!

I got a consortium as well :cool: Injected £32m into the balance!

Ah right, will bare that in mind, promoted Sowah to the first team for a bit, (just to see how he does). Was on bench for my first game.

Ahhh! Unlucky mate, I went to the semi (which happened to be on my 19th birthday :p), cost me £30, same sort of seats, £85 this time!

Ah nice, hopefully I'll get one haha.

Oh, and first game vs. Arsenal at the Emirates, I have 3 shots to their 28, I win 1-0 thanks to Kanu :D, O'Hara had a goal disallowed as well, awesome defending :p

EDIT: Just lost 1-0 to Blackburn to an 87th minute goal, disappointing. Sold Cuvelier to Milan for £1.6m + 30% sell on, not bad for a 16 year old, plus he doesn't play for us anymore, so it's a bit realistic ;)

Starting one with Pompey today!! Have a feeling this is going to be a long season. Shipping out behadj and kanu currently!! Going to play the 4 5 1 formation at home and possibly change the formation away.

Into January now, 14th in the league I think. Not doing too well tbh, playing a 4-1-1-2-2, Kanu/Freddy as targetman, Dindane/Utaka as poachers, Smith on the right as an inside forward, just sold Belhadj for 9.75m to Inter as well. Only £6million in the red in January :D

Archived