FM10 : Official Reading FC Thread

SCIAG

I'm sorry but this is just a joke, got promoted to EPL and then was told there was a takeover being discussed... Good I thought, some serious money to compete with.

Turns out, SJM decided to sell the club to a bunch of fans, who barely had enough money to buy the club in the first place and have offered me no additional funds or anything. If anything, I will be in a weakened position as Madjeski was a rather wealthy Chairman, compared to these clowns, who I'm sure are more like the Glaziers.

Oh well, I still have my job at least I guess. Let's just hope my run of form can continue and I can qualify for Europe this season. Then perhaps someone with some money will come in and buy the club.

Annoyingly it says they love the club and will never leave! Saying that, I'm sat in 2nd position in the league in January, so if they dont invest some money then I will be praying for another takeover! Not sure how likely that is on FM10 once you've already had one?

• 2 weeks later...

Started a Reading save and I'm 20th after 4 games, tough matches though and I've managed to pick up some decent draws. Also a good cup win against Wycombe.

I'm playing youngsters a lot though due an early season injury crisis.

Quincy was brought in for £275K and he is great.

Just bought the game and started with Reading.

Sold Henry to Man City for 2.5m and Robson Kanu to Aston Villa for 2m.

Then bought Opare at RB from Real Madrid for 275k.

Also got Darron Gibson on loan from Man U.

Team Currently:

GK Federici

RB Opare (kelly will challenge when fit)

LB Armstrong (Bertrand)

CB O'Dea

CB Pearce (Ingimarsson will challenge when fit)

RM Macanuff (Hunt)

LM Kebe (Tabb)

CM(A) Matejovsky (Davies)

CM(S) Gibson (Karacan)

ST(A) Long

ST(S) Rasiak

Blitzed the friendlies with some great results including a 3-2 win against Villa. Beat Forest 1-0 in my first game and lost 3-1 to Newcastle in the second. Then beat Dag & Red 9-1 in the league cup!! Rasiak getting 5 goals on his debut and winning his first team place.

Ill let you know how i get on!

Great acquisition of Opare! And well done for getting something for HRK and Henry. Although I like Henry, and he has good potential, 2.5M is a good fee for him and there are plenty better out there. HRK of the other hand is useless and I wish I had been able to get something for him.

Great acquisition of Opare! And well done for getting something for HRK and Henry. Although I like Henry, and he has good potential, 2.5M is a good fee for him and there are plenty better out there. HRK of the other hand is useless and I wish I had been able to get something for him.

Yeah i was really pleased with Opare because although he's young he seems to be able to hold his own alreay. Like you said although Henry has good potential i couldnt afford to wait around for a few years, when you start with no money! Ill replace him when (if) i get promoted as McAnuff and Kebe seem capable enough in the Championship.

• 1 month later...

I got Reading promoted to the premiership without making any permenant signings :D

Player the season with a 4-2-2-2 formation

GK - Adam Federici (good solid season, a few rough games)

DR - Shaun Cummings (suprisingly solid defender, glad i got liam rosenior back though)

DC - Matt Mills (Brilliant Player, Always improving)

DC - Khalifa Cisse (Solid, Can be moved around the midfield area if injurys occur)

DL - Chris Armstrong (Good player, seemed to score a lot of goals considering his position)

MC - Marek Matejovski (Brilliant Player, he was my playmaker, tons of assists and a nice amount of goals for the season)

MC - Jay Tabb (good player, got forwards alot, scored quite a few, used in rotation with Jem Karacan)

AML - Brian Howard (Brilliant Crossing ability, scored many headed goals thanks to that man, My Captain for the season)

AMR - Jobi McAnuff (Good Player, made some skillful runs with good crosses, scored a few, in rotation with Jimmy Kebe)

ST - Shane Long (Very quick, seemed to skip past most championship defences, netted home a ton of goals for the season)

ST - Noel Hunt (Great Player, working along side shane was a great move, the best tag team in the championship by far, scored around the same amount as shane)

SUB1 - Ivar Ingimasson (Good centre back, second choice due to his age, although his performances were all solid, he was my Vice-Captain)

SUB2 - Ryan Bertrand (Armstrong picked up a few injurys in the season and he provided great cover)

SUB3 - Julian Kelly (Luckily Cummings only got one 2week injury in the whole season so kelly wasnt played much, he would be better in league one, he is only young though)

SUB4 - Jem Karacan (Great Rotated Player, him and Jay Tabb were roughly the same until the second half of the season when Tabb dominated and was a frequent MOTM)

SUB5 - Jimmy Kebe (Extremely quick, out runs most players in the championship, needs to work on crossing a bit, but rotated with Jobi McAnuff nicely)

SUB6 - James Henry (Not played as often as i had of hoped, he is a telented youngster, but due to the great form of jimmy, brian and jobi, he didnt get much game time)

SUB7 - Gregorz Rasiak (Great Target Man, Covers for strikers well, he is mainly my super sub, most times he comes on he scores)

Transfers:

Players Out: Simon Church (Loan - Wycombe Wanderers)

Nicholas Bignall (Loan - Charlton)

Brynjar Gunnarsson (Sold - 75k - Southampton)

Players In: Ishmael Miller (West Brom - From January 2010 to End of Season)

(Ishmael came to the club due to the shock injurys of Shane Long and Noel Hunt, he scored an impressive 8 goals while playing as first choice, and then scored a further 4 goals from coming off the bench, he helped my team sercure promotion, i wanted to sign him for the premiership as backup, but West Brom wanted too much money for him, great loanee non the less)

My team usually averages mid/high 7 ratings

Came 2nd in the Coca-Cola Championship and got auto promotion to the Premier League

Best Players: Noel Hunt, Shane Long, Ishmael Miller, Marek Matajovski, Matt Mills, Jay Tabb, Brian Howard

EDER what a signing from empoli was a costly 3 mill in jan but have never looked back has scored 16 in 16 appearances for me!!! him with simon church is unstoppable.....church been on suprisingly good form for me has finished the season with 25 goals.........having only taken over in january with the club languishing in a lowly 19th position ive managed to finish in 10th ive had problems woth conceding goals!! however my cb pairing both have averages of over 7.10......i also managed to get shmiechel in for 2 mill from notts county.....and sold federchi....and he has helped stable my defensive problems as for full backs i have bertrand and caddis......only signings ive made since joining are ......eder, schmeichel, and gunnarson for 2.5 has been great signing playing as box to box midfielder...need some wingers for next seasons title push any suggestions?

luckas1234: wingers, Simon Vukcevic from sporting cp is really good, definately the best player i have ever signed for Reading. I got him for 2mil, after 1st season he sometimes is transfer listed for 2mil... bargain! also wayne routledge, incredible champ player, great young prem player too :) also you should already have jimmy kebe, hes incredible on fm!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to get the best out of Shane Long i have been using him on tugs training, and he is...well...uttelry crap to be honest. I'm in my second season and newly promoted to the premiership, but would like to try and bring him on and develop him rather than just sell him.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a Reading save last night. Been quite fun so far, my old saves got stale quite quickly.

Currently sitting joint top with Leicester and Notts Forest. Kept the squad as it was really. Only brought in Spearing and Anichebe on loans, Viduka on free. Anichebe has been a revelation so far as target man (4 in 4 starts), switching with Viduka (top scorer with 6 goals, currently injured though) Hunt has been brilliant as an advanced forward, 8 assists in 8 games!

• 1 month later...

Anyone playing a Reading game at the moment? I'm still playing my original game, although I am now in the 2014/15 season. I have been a little slow due to university deadlines and exams, but now all those are done I shall make an update and kickstart my push for champions league football after winning both the FA Cup and League Cup last season and finishing a disappointing 7th, all of which cementing my position in the Europa Cup for this season.

I've gotten bored of my other Reading save in the 2019/2020 season

the AI just gets so poor and i was dominating too much domestically so i have decided to start again with the 10.3.0 patch

Reading are much improved on this patch and alot of the recommended players from the OP are no longer needed :thup:

as Bertrand is so much better and then there is Griff and Zurab on loan with others being significantly improved. Hopefully should only need some minor tweaking (just like real life).

09/10 Season Summary

I decided to keep the squad together and only add loan signings a maybe one or 2 others.

As i was only given £200K at the start i thought i would raise some cash by selling one player, which was Matejovsky to West ham for £2.7m as he was covered by the Sig.

I also sold Alex Pearce to Southampton in January for £2m

Transfers In July-Aug :

Gael kakuta (LOAN)

Fabrice Muamba (LOAN)

Igor Duljaj - £1.2m

Transfers In (Jan) :

Thiago from Man City (LOAN)

Kyle Lafferty (LOAN)

Armand Traore (LOAN

Ian Evatt - £1.2m - Blackpool

The only major outs were Matejovsky and Pearce.

I finished 2nd in the league, 4 points behind Sheff Utd and level on points with Boro in 3rd.

How did Kakuta perform for you? Highly rated IRL but doesn't seem to have had the potential in 10.2 and I haven't had a look at him in 10.3. Is he still one footed? Major downside to any player in my opinion. I won't sign a player unless they are at least reasonable with both feet.

• 1 month later...

In that season kakuta did a fairly decent job although nothing spectacular.

I started a game with Barca and then the Reading job became available and i couldn't resist :D

Currently 2nd in the Prem in Jan 2013 and i've got some good youngsters coiming through aswell.

Archived