S.T.F.C - Cosford's barmy army!

cosford

A story of the Lower League Manager, 03/04.

I’m back, this is the continuing story of my LLM fight, and I’m back, back at the club where I ‘made’ my imaginary name.

I took over at Shrewsbury town this morning. A very warm welcome from Chairman Roland Wycherley, but his news on the football front isn’t good. I’m expected to gain the Championship of this league they call the conference, and he’s given me no money to do so. I’ve been working hard today, coaches, training, players on trial, loads of things will be happening at the Gay Meadow very soon. The club is a little in debt, but nothing that can’t be wiped, but it desperately needs sorting out. And sort it out I will! That’s what I do, I take clubs like this, and I turn them around. Or that’s the plan.

Believe it or not, I have a friendly today, on my first day at the club. (It was already arranged.) Fortunately, it ties in with what I had planned; its Halesowen away.

An interesting game, which we won 3-2. Poor defensively, lacked pace and organization, but going forward looked good, with Jamie Tolley, the brightest prospect at the club, controlling the midfield, and letting Luke Rodgers, the second brightest prospect, score 2 of the goals. Colin Cramb is the other star player, he scored a few for Dutch premier league club Fortuna Sittard a few seasons ago. Pleased with the overall performance, a good first result, and the 50 or so traveling fans gave me a shout, hope they’ll still be doing so in a few months.

I’ve also signed the player the text book says is your most important; your first. Its Carl Laurie, a 21 year old midfielder who has the lot, pace, strength, passing, 2 feet, can play in 6 positions, and is a absolute blinder. Honest!

Another great signing, 33 year old Richard Smith is a experienced, fast, powerful centre back who will be our captain and will be a massive signing. He’s a favorite of mine, and I know will be one of our most important players.

We trot off down the motorway again today, to take on Rhyl. We have several (hundred?) trialists in at the moment, with varying levels of talent, who will get a run out today.

A 2-0 victory, Dave McEwen getting both, looks an excellent player, and will probably get a deal. Good performance, and Smith was (as expected commanding at the back). The board have suggested I sell players, huum, I wonder if anyone wants Rodgers?

Some fabulous players on trial, but how many will sign for me. I’ve spent the week showing various players with various amounts of talent around the club, we’re on PR overdrive! The clubs open day was a success, and we sold a few shirts!

Had a chat with Dario Gradi, and the upshot is we’ll play Crewe in a friendly at Gay Meadow near the start of the season.

Also, a huge signing, Almeira’s Butra has joined us on loan for the season, he’s a incredibly skillful forward I’ve had before, and is a absolute class act. Dave McEwen has signed a 2 year deal, which is good.

Welshpool, and our whole 22 for this friendly will be made up of trialists. Don’t be surprised if I haven’t got a clue who’s scored; err, yeah, it’s the errr….blonde bloke….yeah…hang on…that’s the goalie….

A 2-1 victory, and one or two of the players look useful, only useful mind.

Still trying to sell some players, no one seems to want the range of incredibly talented crap I’ve inherited…wonder why…

Two more players meet their new colleagues today. Tony Smith, a powerful young striker, and Gavin Kelly, a young keeper have signed contracts, two good additions.

Andrew Martin, a powerful forward has signed a contract, which means we have a few good strikers now.

Also signed Billy Gibson, who is an excellent 18 year old midfield player with massive potential. Excellent both on the ball and off it he’ll be a big part of the side this season.

Two signings today, Geoff Breslan, a midfield player with a hell of a long shot on him has arrived at sunny Shrewsbury for free, and I have a assistant, Gerry Reddy, who I have worked with before has joined me, what I hope will be the start of a very successful partnership.

We have Canvey Island away, and I’m playing the 1st team, we need to start preparing for the season proper.

Won the worst game of our season so far 2-0, Martin and McEwen with the goals. Not impressed by our defending, and things will have to be done about that!

Two more mighty players signed, Damien Maher, a excellent 28 year old centre back of Irish origin has put pen to paper, and John McMenamey, a skillful young left winger also has pledged his future to us, a wise decision?

Ian Dunbavin, one of our keepers has departed for 4k to Gloucester City, he wouldn’t have got in the team anyway.

I’m settling into the place now, redecorated my office, which nearly bankrupted the club, and I’m beginning to sort things out. The players are responding well to the training, even though quite a few of they are on the transfer list. The pre-season form is excellent, we haven’t lost, and if we can get a good result in front of our own fans against Crewe on Saturday I will be chuffed. Then comes the league, and we have a tough start, Chester and Aldershot away

Some ins and outs today. Young forward Neville Thompson has left the club for £50k to Crewe, and we play Crewe today! A big fee, and we need some big fees!

An entertaining game finished 1-1, not bad, we’re undefeated in pre-season, and this sets us up well for the upcoming season.

I’ve been priced 5-1 to get promoted, this has come as no surprise, we must go up!

Matty Hyson, a experienced 27 year old left back has arrived, hopefully a quality signing. I’m trying to get someone for the right back slot, this is a important position in the formation I intend to play, so hopefully we’ll have quality in that position.

First game, and it’s a massive one; a local derby away at Chester City. We’re lining up with 5 at the back, 3 in midfield, then Butra sitting behind a loan striker.

The team is thus; Kelly in goal, left to right, Hyson, Maher, Tinson, Smith at sweeper, who is skipper, then Laurie at right back. In midfield, Tolley, Breslan and Gibson, then Butra and Martin.

Lost a terrible game 2-0, they outplayed, outpassed and completely destroyed us. Butra wasted our best chance of the match but in truth we were awful, I think it was just that some of the players hadn’t played together very much, but we will have to desperately improve. Not a good first result, but one I hope will be quickly erased.

A chance to do so tonight, our own supporters file into our Gay meadow stadium to see us take on Aldershot, a by no means crap outfit. The side is the same, they we’re so awful, changes won’t improve it, they need to blend. I’m looking for a win, a draw is no good, we need to say right, forget that, our season starts here, get in the driving seat and stay there.

Things are going badly wrong at half time. Instead of taking the multitude of chances offered to us, we’ve cocked it up. Its 0-0, but, with us in the ascendancy, Maher decided to get himself sent off. We don’t have another centre back. So we’re on 10 men, and instead of going for 3 points, we’ll be lucky to get one.

It finished 0-0, and as we wallowed in abject crapness it was only Richard Smith that stopped a rout. Going forward we were woeful, but should have won with the chances we did create. I’m not pleased, we’re not doing the simple things, but I’ll pull them in and I’ll sort it out. We’ve the league leaders Dagenham away on Saturday, and we’re without one of our defenders, we’ll probably get massacred.

A signing, and a central defender, 30 year old Irishman Sean Riordan should be a excellent signing, until we can get someone better, he’ll go straight into the team for tomorrows game. Karl Murrey has left the club for Dover Athletic, with £8k going the other way, and Glenn Tolley, Jamie’s cousin, has gone to Canvey Island for £12k.

The coach ride down to London to take on league leaders Dagenham away, Riordan is straight in for Maher.

0-0 at the break, we’ve hit the post and caused trouble, but generally we’re on the back foot. We need to get a midfield grip, and fast.

We scored our first goal of the season just after the break, Butra taking the ball down and firing low under the keeper to give the away fans something to cheer about. It didn’t take them long to equalize however. They didn’t seem to know just how far on the back foot they’d got us, and failed to press home their advantage. We were hanging on by our finger nails, the defense looking very flexible and breakable in deed, but somehow we did hold on, and come away with a 1-1 draw. A good point, but we needed to have won on Tuesday, we’re 2nd to bottom, with 2 points, we need to get up the table.

A quality player has walked in his golden boots over the Gay Meadow ‘welcome’ doormat. Chris O’Brien (yes, that’s the one) is creative left footed 21 year old midfield player who becomes my first cash signing, having arrived from Droylsden for 2k. Hoping he will add a bit of attacking flair to the midfield. For the next match, Gibson will be dropped, and O’Brien will partner Breslan and Tolley in the centre of the park.

Halifax at home today, and we need to win, lets get really going! O’Brien comes in for Gibson, who is injured anyway, and Maher has been slapped with an extra 2 game ban, which keeps him out for today, and keeps our back 5 the same. Desperate to give our fans something to cheer about, and really show we can play, we have to win convincingly today. After 3 pathetic performances Andrew Martin’s out, Tony Smith is in, and Dave McEwen is on the bench.

Half time, and we’re playing excellently, Butra should have had a hattrick, when he’s one on one, he’s poor. However, given a chance to cross the ball, and he’s top man, he’s crossed it twice, and twice we’ve scored. Tony Smith and Jamie Tolley firing home for a 2-0 lead. Chris O’Brien has played excellently so far, his left foot has hit two stinging drives, one reverberated off the post, the other clipped it and went wide.

It finished with a plus 3 scorline. Tony Smith got his second of the game, fashioning a non-existent chance and smashing the ball home. They played well second half, and I didn’t think we tackled hard or often enough, but hopefully we’ll improve. I think Halifax had a major off day, but it was promising, and hopefully it’ll build confidence. Fans went home happy, but they’re going to expect more, so do I, so there’s something we have in common.

Stevenage away, a difficult trip made slightly easier by the fact their golden boy, Anthony Elding, is suspended. We’e one change, Hyson (injured) is replaced by Greg Rioch. The injured McEwen is replaced on the bench by Luke Rodgers.

Half time, and we’re 2-0 down, and have been since the 10th minute. Kelly saved twice, but couldn’t hold it and was tapped in, then terrible, unorganized defending let them in for a second. My sides do not defend like this, it just doesn’t happen! We’re abysmal, we’ve lost this game and we know it.

It finished 3-0, they scored minutes after we’d hit the bar. We had chances to come back, but we were woeful, the centre halves acted like a wet dishcloth, Tinson twice left his man unmarked for their goals, the full backs didn’t pay any attention to their wingers, the midfield didn’t tackle, overall, a complete disaster. One we will have to wipe from our books and put in the ‘bad day’ folder, but we looked like a poor side, a disorganized rabble that didn’t do anything professionally or made any effort to look like a team. If they think they’re going to get away with this they’ve another think coming, they’ll be run into the floor tomorrow, then made to watch the video, then we’ll take them on a nice job through the streets, let the fans in this town laugh at their pathetic non-effort.

On refection, I think we’re still bedding in, but we’re going to have to do it quick, we’re not playing how I want us at all.

The famous Accrington Stanley at home tonight, and, with Maher back, I’m looking for a good result.

Half time, and I can’t believe my eyes, I’m not sure what I’m seeing, have they put something in the tea? We’re 5-0 up! Yes 5-0! Rioch first, smashing home a penalty, then Butra, firing low under the goalie. Tony Smith extended our lead with a 20 yard piledriver. Then Butra got another, heading in after a mistake from their keeper. The best though, came last, picking up the ball 35 yards out, Chris O’Brien sidestepped his marker and curled a strike of incredible pace power and grace into the bottom corner on his left foot! What a strike!

I cannot believe it; we’ve finished 8 goals to the good! 8-0! We’ve scored so many I’ve forgotten who scored! We got another penalty, which Rioch buried, then came goal of the night no2. Surrounded by 4 players, Chris O’Brien swiveled on the corner of the box, as he turned, his left foot swung, and connected with the ball perfectly. The ball screamed high into the net and sent the supporters into raptures of delight. How many’s that? Ah yes, there was still time for Butra to get his hattrick, he rounded the last man, ran 40 yards, and buried the ball from the edge of the area past a shell-shocked keeper, who I feel distinctly sorry for.

A fabulous result, and one we must use to go on a good run, we have to charge up the table, we’ve shown people the promise is there, now we have to produce it regularly. This could be a double edged sword, lose on Saturday and people will be saying ‘they can win 8-0 but can’t beat these’, we have to show people what we can do. To be fair, break this down and it doesn’t look quite so good, 2 penalties (6-0) two wonder goals, which won’t be scored every week, (4-0) and a mistake (3-0), so break it down and it’s a good result, but nothing like what we’ve got! Can’t argue, hopefully this will eject confidence into a dressing room that was definitely down after Saturday.

It’s a Saturday, but I’m not involved. None of us are, its international weekend, which gives me a chance to reward our little lads with a few days off, aren’t I nice! Have a nice weekend off lads I shout, and their reply’s also contain ‘off’ but I can’t quite make out the rest….

We resume our program after our (rather unwanted) break with Tamworth at home today. I want a win again, 8-0 might be a bit much to ask, but we have got to win. Hyson doesn’t win his place back at left back, but does go to the bench.

Half time, we’re 2-0 up, a fabulous pass from O’Brien released Butra and he scored his 5th of the season, then Tolley tapped home after a corner was reintroduced by Maher.

We’d doubled our lead by full time, 12 goals in 2 games and non the other way! Butra got another, and Tony Smith, who had missed 2 sitters rolled home a lose back pass. Another excellent performance which O’Brien dominated, still looked a little dodgy at the back, but we’ll work on that, good going forward, and if Smith could get onto a few Butra crosses we’d be even better!

Darren Moss, a admittedly good player, has left us for Colchester, £10k comes the other way. Ryan Lowe has also agreed to leave, he’s going to Ballyclare for £0. Disappointing to have to sell these people, Lowe is a good player, but he’s on quite a bit of money.

I’ve signed Paul Challinor on a 1 year deal, he’s a huge, fast centre back who I’ve had before from Droylsden, and should be a excellent signing.

big game, Hereford away, a local derby. I think we can win, we’re in good nick, and if we’re really going to do something we need to win games like this. Lets go and do it.

Half time and our unchanged side has run the game but hasn’t scored. We should have, and if we don’t and they do, I ain’t gonna be pleased, and it’ll be a disaster.

It finished 0-0, but by the final whistle, we definitely should have won, Tony Smith missed two golden chances, and its 2 points dropped. Not completely unhappy because it was a great performance, but we might regret this. We’re 10 points behind the leaders; we need to keep winning games.

I’ve had a bid of £95k for Luke Rodgers from Hull, which means he could be on his way…

And he has gone, for said fee plus a sell on clause, Luke has gone Northwards. A quality player, and he’ll do very well.

Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute away tonight, and it should be 3 points. Same side, but Andrew Martin comes to the seat on the bench that Rodgers vacates.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Tony Smith stabbing home. Kelly has saved a penalty of theirs, but the biggest thing is that Butra has gone off injured. Please nothing is wrong just as things were starting to go right.

Just as I thought Leigh might get back into the game, we scored, Maher heading in a corner. I would say, maybe except Accrington, our best performance of the season. We showed great professionalism, and got the goals we needed. Butra by the way, is not seriously injured.

I’ve signed two players; Michael Stringfellow and Mark Hicks are a midfielder and winger/forward respectively. Stringfellow comes for free, and Hicks for 4k.

Neither of them get places in squad or bench for today’s game at home to ex-league Exeter. We’re unchanged, and looking for a win, ta very much.

Half time, we’re 2-0 up having scored 2 inside 2 first half minutes. Smith got the first from 20 yards after being set up by O’Brien, then Butra latched onto a deep swinging Laurie cross to roll home. O’Brien and Butra have caused absolute consternation, and we should have had more.

We’ve drawn 2-2! They scored two goals (the first we’ve conceded in 4 games) as we went to sleep and forgot to keep up the pace. Incredibly disappointing, but it doesn’t surprise me, I was wondering how long it would be before we threw away a lead…we’re 12 points behind, which isn’t good enough. We missed chances today, but in truth should and could have wrapped the game up, Smith missed a glorious chance in injury time, when the pressure’s on, he seems to falter. We have to recover from this, but we looked better, we played at pace (in the first half) but there’s no time to develop consistency, we’ve got to achieve it instantly, we’ve got to get out of this league.

Three pieces of transfer news, and I can announce that Leon Drysdale, and Colin Cramb, will be leaving us in January, for nothing to Caerlon and £10k to Motherwell respectively, and Sam Aiston, the clubs second highest earner (Cramb is top) has gone to Swansea for £8k. Happy about this, Cramb and Aiston command over 3,500 per week in wages, getting that millstone off my neck will be a huge boost. Drysdale I don’t have a problem with, but I’d like to see the back of him, simply because I don’t rate him as a player.

Awards for us this month, Butra has got player of the month, O’Brien young player of the month, richly deserved I might add, and O’Brien’s fabulous first curling shot against Accrington was voted goal of the month!

Northwich away, and anything less than 3 points isn’t really good enough. We’re unchanged again.

Half time in a very quiet game, its 0-0.

More bloody points thrown away, we scored through Andrew Martin, then allowed them to dance through our defense to score a undeserved goal. 1-1 the score. Very disappointing, we’re 8th, and even more points behind, the championship is going to be beyond us at Christmas if we don’t watch it. We need to start winning games, I don’t want to be a side that throws things away.

All the U19 players have signed new contracts today. Fools, they’re 9 month contracts, all of them will be on the dole this time next year.

Another Saturday we don’t have a game, flippin Euro internationals.

It has been decided that we will play 3rd division Mansfield at home in the LDV Vans first round.

And while we’re talking about cups, the town hasn’t been set on fire by the news that we’ll play non-league Colwyn Bay in the qualifying round. Important we have a good run in that really.

What is also important is that we win tonight, we have Farnborough at home, and that should be a good excuse for a win. Same team.

Lately Breslan has been showing he can hit it from range. He hasn’t scored, but this game, he has. Twice O’Brien has taken corners to the edge of the area, twice his 25 yard shots have beaten the keeper to give us a 2 goal lead. We mustn’t throw this away.

And 2-0 it finished, pleased, but again we sat off in the second half. Trouble is we’re not good enough to start retreating into a shell. Ok result, one we should have got, and did get, it wasn’t pretty, but, job done. Concentrate on this weekend now, which is a big one…

Shropshire pride rests on today, well until the return fixture. Telford away, win, the county becomes blue, lose, it becomes white. The other thing is we need the points! On form, we should win, but don’t kid yourself, it won’t be that easy…. Telford are a big, powerful, well organized professional outfit, just the sort we hate…We’ll have to be good, but we can do it. We’re unchanged.

In a evenly matched game its 0-0, we should have scored, but they’re dangerous and are doing their thing. Butra has missed a golden chance as has Smith. You get the feeling the first goal will win this, we must up the tempo.

A 1-1 draw, we took the lead through Rioch, but Lee Mills equalized with a minute to go. A minute! Another 2 points dropped, this isn’t good enough, we should be professional enough to hold these leads. We’re 7th and slipping away, we have got to win, drawing isn’t good enough! Typical Telford, crap all game then nick something, why can’t sides that play good football with honest flair and endeavor (like us!) win these games?

Mansfield at home tonight in the Vans, a win would be nice, but if not, fair enough.

Half time, and we’ve had 10 shots on target. Its 0-0. Lose this, and I won’t be happy.

On 90 minutes, its 1-1! Butra finally scored one of our 15 chances, but they equalized with their only shot of the game, being allowed the freedom of our box to roll home. Not happy. Extra time to play.

It goes to penalties, apparently 20 chances aren’t enough to win a game.

We’re useless at penalties, Rioch, Maher, Smith (who’s was really pathetic) and Butra all missed. Crap. We should have won this game easily, I hope the players are embarrassed.

A chance to put that behind us and win convincingly; we’ve Colwyn Bay at home in the F.A Cup qualifiers. Hicks and McEwen are on the bench, the only change to the starters is Gibson is in for Tolley.

Half time, its 0-0, but its only, surely, a matter of time until we score.

We eventually scored, and won 1-0, after they had a man sent off. McEwen scored a few minutes later. What is really disappointing is that the game shut down, so I’ve had to replay this game. The first time I played it, I won 4-1, this result is not as likely to entice some of the 6300 people in today back in next week. Damn game.

Our reward for beating Colwyn? Blackpool at home, which is a great draw, we could well beat them.

The first of Breslan’s goals against was named goal of the month today.

We have Scarborough at home today, and I want a win, hopefully some of the 6000 will come in to boost the crowd. Important we get a good result. Tolley is back in the middle for Gibson.

Half time, its 0-0, but Tolley, Butra and Smith are all injured, I’m going to have to sub 2 of them. It’s a terrible game, I think the first goal will decide it, I can just see us throwing this away.

A 0-0 draw, and one we should have won. Scarborough are 4th, so they’ll be chuffed, we just couldn’t get going, and we had 7 corners! 7! And not a header or shot on target from any of them. Pathetic. Oh, and they didn’t boost the crowd.

Margate away on a Tuesday night, how many of our fans will follow us? Again, the team is the same.

Half time and we’re 1-0 up following a 5th minute Rioch penalty. A terrible game on a terrible pitch, we’ve carried on the lethargic crap we’ve been showing in the previous 2 games.

We won a awful game 1-0, should have been more even though they had most of the pressure. We’ve paid for it, Breslan and Smith both getting injured. We’ve lost Breslan for 3 weeks, which is a massive blow, and Smith for a week. Both out for Blackpool then. Breslan is the driving force in midfield, and will be missed.

Well, the big game of the season, and probably the biggest game of my fledgling career. Blackpool at home in the F.A Cup. A big game, and one I know we can win, but we’re going to have to play so much better than we recently have, we’ve been lethargic and boring, we need to up the tempo and get at them today. We can do it, and I hope we can, because we need the money! Gibson is in for Breslan and McEwen is in for Smith.

Half time its 0-0, they’ve had more possession, but we’ve hit the bar, we’re not functioning to our potential though.

We can’t score at the moment, and we haven’t again, its finished 0-0. A replay. We had by far the more chances and we should have won. We went to pieces at the end, and were just smashing it out, disappointed again, we didn’t play properly, everything looks a vast effort, we’re not smooth. I think it says something though that their keeper got man of the match.

The draw for the next round was made today, who will we get if we beat Blackpool? United? Chelsea? Nope, Margate. Wow.

Southampton’s Scott Bevan has joined us on loan for the rest of the season. Not only does it allow me to decide if I want to sign him permanently at the end of the season it allows me to try and get Scott Howie’s £600 per week off the bill.

This is the replay, I’m hoping for a win, I know we can still win. We’ve had a break, and now we need to come back strong and fit, and batter these tonight, lets come away semi-giant killers. No Tolley! The Welsh U21 squad has picked him up for some crap tournament. Stringfellow makes his debut. Tony Smith is back up front.

Half time, its 1-1, they scored early on but a great move saw Tony Smith equalize. Jittery, and I think they could score at any time. We have to keep holding on.

Isn’t football cruel, just as I began to think we had a chance, Laurie headed the ball into his own net from a corner. Heads hit the floor. With minutes remaining Cosford tried the old double substitution ploy; injured Butra and Maher off, Hicks and McEwen off. As a last gasp ploy, I threw captain and colossal sweeper Richard Smith forward. He won a flick, and sent Laurie racing away towards the byline, Laurie’s cross came into the box, evaded everyone’s head, and skidded away towards the edge of the box where Chris O’Brien came sliding in to net a completely deserved equalizer! Into stoppage time, and yes, you can guess what happened, they scored. After we’d scored I had no opportunity to reorganize the team, and as we blundered, they pulled us apart and scored with only seconds left. I don’t think my players could even bring themselves to shake hands with their opponents. In truth, although we did ok, we were outclassed, how many times Smith and Kelly kept us in the game, but midfield was the real battle ground, Gibson Stringfellow and O’Brien simply are not as tough as Tolley and Breslan, they were out tackled and couldn’t find the space and time afforded to them by Breslan to hit the passes that would have told. I’d like to mention Tony Smith, he ran himself into the floor, and did beyond the call of duty tonight, well done Tony. We’ve had a good day out, made some money, and played a good match. Back to the league.

Well, as I said, back to the league, and Burton Albion at home today. I want 3 points. Laurie has picked up 5 bookings, so DC Paul Challinor makes his debut at right back. Sorry Paul. Tolley is back, and because Stringfellow had a good game Wednesday, Gibson loses his place to Tolley.

Equal at nothing at half time, we should be ahead, but both teams are playing well, must improve though lads, there’s a big crowd in today.

In front of our biggest bloody crowd of the season it’s a 0-0 draw! 9 corners! 14 shots on target! 18 shots in total! No bloody goals! Not good enough, we’re sipping out of the play off spots, and 3 of our last 5 results have been 0-0! Butra can’t score, Smith scores occasionally, we just don’t hit enough goals, every time we get a chance we hit it straight at the keeper! We’re jepordising our entire season through not scoring enough goals! Just as we get a good crowd we play crap, that 9 draws for this season, that’s not satistfactory whatsoever.

Gravesend and Northfleet at home, and if we don’t win this one, I’m going to make the players play with a square ball. I’m going for a bit more of an attacking line up, and (thank god) Laurie and Breslan return.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Smith the goal scorer.

We, and Tony, had that doubled by full time, their keeper picked the ball up, then dropped it, Smith pounced. Easy. We won a good game without being at our best, we need to continue to improve, and hopefully we’ll get better.

Forest Green away, and I think we should be aiming for 3 points again here. The team is unchanged.

Half time, we’re 1-0 down, a miss hit, half arsed shot beat Kelly with the bounce just before half time.

A 1-1 draw and for the first time in 18 games we’ve scored from a corner! Maher the recipitant to equalize for us. A top team would have won here, no mistake, but I suppose this is ok. The trouble is, we’re running out of games like this, soon we go into games against the top clubs, fail against them, and we could be midtable and without a hope on anything. We are 4th for the time being though. One bad bit of news is Chris O’Brien will be out for a few weeks with a injury. Looks like Kevin Street will be getting some games. As will Andrew Martin, Smith played a rating 2 today…

Woking away, and O’Brien is fit and keeps his place. I think we should be aiming for 3 points here.

Half time we’re 1-0 up through Butra but we’ve missed at least 3 one on ones and had 2 goals disallowed! All that will probably cost us dear if I know this team. Must keep it going, we only have a one goal lead!

A crap game enlivened only by Butra, who finally managed to get his brain working enough once he was one on one with the keeper to make a conscious decision, which was to cross onto the head of Tony Smith who scored our second, and deciding goal. I can’t help but feel we’ve escaped London having played incredibly badly (again) but winning. We didn’t really look interested today, which is incredibly dangerous, but I suppose we do have the points. Not all bad.

A massive game tonight for everyone, league leaders Barnet at home. They’re 20 points ahead of us, and haven’t lost a league game at all this season. Today is the day that will change…hopefully. We can win tonight, but its going forward, we’ve got to take our chances, when a player is one on one, he must score, and there can be no missed chances tonight. Simply, everyone will have to play to their maximum potential; it’ll have to be a blinder. We’re unchanged again. The roar of the crowd, this is massive..

Half time, and we’ve battered them, absolutely wacked them, bar twice, post, a goal disallowed and several good saves from them keeps it 0-0. Should have scored, because you know what’ll happen…

A 1-0 win! We finally got just deserts when another flowing move ended with Butra being hacked down. Rioch converted the penalty perfectly, and we were on our way, there was never a chance of them coming back into it. With a few minutes to go, Chris O’Brien hit a screamer form 30 yards which came back of the post, Butra, 6 yards out with no one to beat, missed….

The mighty Barnet are beaten!

Morecambe away, and we should be aiming for 3 points here. Tony Smith is dropped after a crap performance on Tuesday, and Martin is in.

We’ve battered them, a Chris O’Brien 25 yard thundercrack and a low finish from Butra have given us a completely assailable 2-0 lead. Must hold on.

There was no problem with that, we’re on form, and emphasized the point when we scored again. Rioch’s penalty came back off the post, and Butra tucked it away. 22 chances on goal today, really played well.

Even the chairman was impressed.

Merry Christmas lads! ‘Merry Christmas gaffer, hows about Christmas day off?’ No chance boys, training as usual, well, have a good time! Oy! What off?

Strange, a Friday night game. And it has to be Aldershot away, hopefully 3 points, but 1 might not be too bad… The battered bunch o’ boys that pile of the bus tonight are the same set of mammals that played last time. A few big games coming up, lets start off with a good win.

0-0 at half time, and I think we’ve had too much to eat over the festive period…

And 0-0 at full time, boring boring boring yawnnn….

Big transfer news, not coming in to Shrewsbury Town, but going out. Out have gone Steve Jageilka, Colin Cramb, Ryan Lowe, and Leon Drysdale all leave to supposedly finer pastures. Ok that will leave us weaker, but only one of those has actually played for us this season, and it will leave us considerable better off financially. That lot real in a hell of a lot of wages. Scott Howie might be going as well.

Also rather important for us is the local derby at home to Chester City today. Drysdale has gone, so Jake Sedgemore (who?) has to come to the bench until I can get a utility man. Other than that unchanged.

Half time and we’re 1-0 up thanks to Sean Riordan heading in from yes! A 2nd minute corner. Early goals are dangerous though, and Chester look dangerous too. Butra going off injured hasn’t helped.

A 1-1 draw, when terrible defending allowed Daryl Clare to score we were suddenly up against it, going back to our lathergic ‘come bloody on-ness’ we did all we could to defend, and Chester probably could have won it. We looked terrible, and there was no one to bring on to improve things. I need some new players, and quick!

One, or two, good things is that Butra and Breslan, both injured in the game, won’t be out long term, not even enough to affect our next game.

Scott Howie has gone to St Johnstone for £1k. Its not getting a fee, its getting rid of his wages.

Halifax away, and we could do with a nice win tonight. McEwen starts up front with Butra.

Half time joyfully we’re 2-0 up thanks to McEwen’s header and Rioch’s penalty. Must not throw this away…must not throw this away…

And 2-0 it finished, we had enough chances to win a thousand games, not really good enough, I was ripping what was left of my hair out by the end… I’ve run out of finger nail…

Big news, Cherno Samba, a striker of great quality, has joined us on loan from Millwall for the rest of the season. Hopefully he will not cease to bang in goal after match winning goal. I’ve been after him for ages, trouble is, I think it might be too late, we’re already out of the title race really. Well, its about 15 points, that’s a hell of a lead, and Kevin Keegan don’t manage Barnet.

Scott Mitchell has joined us on a season’s loan from Ipswich. Basically he’s here because he can play pretty much everywhere, he just adds some depth.

A nice little trip to Chesham today to take on their mighty 11 in the 3rd round of the F.A trophy. Chris O’Brien, who reported being tired is dropped for John McMenemy. Sean Riordan is out to give Paul Challinor a chance to impress, plus Bevan being given his debut and although the rest of the team is unchanged, once we’re (hopefully) a few goals up people like Butra will come off to save their little legs. Samba and Mitchell are on the bench.

Half time and we’re 2-0 up thanks to McEwen and a debut goal from McMenemy. We should have had more and we’re ripping them apart. Butra especially is on fire, as you would expect.

It finished 4-1 to us, they got one back just after the break, but Challinor scored from (yes!) a corner, then, after missing two easy chances, Samba converted the hardest to give us a very commendable score line. I enjoyed today, we played well, if only we could play teams like this every week. Challinor will start next game, he looked like the Challinor I’ve bought for many a team… wonder why I didn’t play him before…

Halifax at home are our next opponents on the F.A trophy ladder.

Also, all the other teams in the conference played tonight, we’re only 21 points behind the leaders!

Big game today, home to Stevenage, who are a point ahead of us in the league, it’s a must win one really. Hopefully a big crowd, a good win and everything rosy. How much do you bet it won’t turn out like that? The team has a more familiar look to it, Kelly back in goal, and Samba is up front with Butra. Got to go for a win, must win, this will give us a lift, but you know what we’re like…

1-0 up at half time, Paul Challinor heading in from, I cannot believe this, a corner of all things just before the break!

If finished a wonderfully worked massacre, just after the break Samba latched onto a pass from Challinor (who was deservedly man of the match) to fire home, then he expertly set up Butra to fire home. A good performance, during which we played excellently, I was unhappy however that we gave their keeper a chance with some shots (like a 1 on 1 on the edge of the 6 yard box) that should have easily been buried.

This should only be a set up, we have second placed Dagenham at home Wednesday night, if we can win that as well…

Dagenham at home, and a win would go a long way towards capturing the 2nd place I have now set my sights on. The title has gone off through the roof, personally, (snooty accents please) I didn’t think Barnet were that good….

The side is unchanged, which is good, and after a slightly disappointing crowd on Saturday, I’m hoping for a good one tonight.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Rioch ran 50 yards to get onto a Samba cross to head home. Samba has been very disappointing, he has literally missed a open goal, the ball was palmed to him from a long shot, 4 yards out, open goal, and missed….

Things were getting a little jittery towards the end as we held our one nil lead, then Butra scored in extra time, 2-0 to the blues! A excellent result that sees us 3 points of second spot, and only 19 off the top! These were two games we desperately needed to win, and usually we’d shoot ourselves in the foot, but not this time! What other important fixture will we have to lose to counterbalance these two?

Accrington away, they’re near the bottom, but will no doubt be eager to put memories of the 8-0 behind them. Same team.

Half time, its 1-1, but we should be out of sight. Butra has scored, and missed 3 goal-den chances, and Rioch has missed a bloody penalty. Crap!

What a game, the way we defended I’m surprised we’ve won, in fact against any other team, we wouldn’t have won! We scored just after half time, Cherno Samba heading in, but they equalized again. I was quite worried (understatement of the year) but we did score again, with 10 minutes to go Butra, provided with a empty net, managed to score his 15th of the season. Accrington weren’t going to give up, but we ended it on the break, Samba crossed, and Breslan fired home. It was a good job they were so crap at the back because we missed so many chances, 6 yards out, keeper to beat, and you put it over the bar, how do you manage that! It would be harder to miss! However, we’re up to second, and playing ok currently, we have to keep it going!

Leigh RMI at home tonight, and I want 3 points and hopefully a big crowd. This might be Jamie Tolley’s last game for us, big bids I can’t really say no to are coming in. What that might do to the club on the pitch however is as yet unknown. No changes to the blue and amber boys.

It took us 2 minutes against the bottom of the league’ers to score, Butra with goal of the month/season a 30 yard screamer that gave the keeper no chance. Also on the plus side, our left back has headed in his 8th goal of the season after a O’Brien cross! On the othr hand, my worst fears have been realized, Richard Smith has gone off injured! Please not a long one….

A 2-1 win, guilty of missing millions of chances, Butra twice one on one (I’m going to kill him!) let them get one, but we were always in control. Played Mark Hicks wide on the right for the last bit, class player out there! Which I always knew, but had never tried….

Terrible news, Richard Smith will be out for 2 months! 2 months! He has been the difference between some points and none, single handedly he’s organized us at times, and losing him will be a colossal blow, really it will. Just as we’re on a good run, just as things are starting to go ok, things like this have to happen.

Things have got worse, Damien Maher is ruled out for 3 weeks with some injury or other, we have problems, our small squad is just about to be exploited.

a 3:00 kick off forHalifax at home in the F.A Trophy, I want to win, it can only help us. Hyson and Riordan replace the two injured lads. The F.A Trophy isn’t that amazing I admit, but, if you’re in it, you might as well win it, and its big money as well if we win it, I’ll be chuffed. Got to win this game, then a few more, before we say that though.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 up, Chris O’Brien’s 5th strike of the season giving us that distinction. Need a another one really, I think we’ll be ok though.

And moments after writing that, we got it, Samba firing home just after the break. A good win, we should have had more but it was terrible conditions, and the pitch was awful, so it was ok. Money rolled in, that’s the main thing. One terrible thing is that Laurie is out for 2 weeks, that’s 3 of my first choice defense injured! If Challinor goes too, we’ve had it!

Well ain’t that nice, I’m manager of the month, and Samba’s player of the month, hope the curse doesn’t come with it.

Tamworth away, and I think we should get 3 points here, despite our buggered defense. Same team as against Halifax.

Half time, 0-0, but we’re not playing very well, our passing is absolutely terrible.

An incredibly boring game finished 0-0, disappointing as we had 5 shots on goal, they had nil. Not much else to say, so I’ll repeat the score….0-0…

Hereford at home, a big derby game we’re looking to win. They’re 3rd to bottom, and pasting them will be a big boost for us, and curtains for them. No changes.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Samba heading in, but we’ve had 11 chances on goal, and missed the lot, we’re going to pay for this…

No we’re not! The final score was incredible, 6-0! McEwen, who I have been very impressed with recently, scored just after the break, then Samba got 2 more for a superb hattrick, that was 4, but another of our loan players was about to have his say, Scottie Mitchell, playing at right wing back, twice headed in for one of our best performances of the season. Pleasing was that 3 of our goals came from corners, and we played some excellent football. On the down side, we had 23, yes 23, chances on goal, and should have had more goals really. Very pleased though!

We have drawn Runcorn away in the F.A Trophy. That should (should!) be a passport to the next round.

Also, big transfer news; in form midfielder Jamie Tolley has gone to Cheltenham Town for a un-refusable £85k. This does leave a big hole, I admit, but I couldn’t refuse such money, and we have Gibson and Stringfellow to come in. Tolley is a class player, he has great ability and should really go to a bigger club than Cheltenham, but, that’s that.

Some fabulous players coming in, I’ve signed several 14/15 year olds who will be pushing for 1st team places next season, they’re ability is frightening.

Exeter away, a tough game, but one I think we can win. Stringfellow comes in for Tolley, and Laurie is fit, but doesn’t displace Mitchell.

Half time, its 1-1, but it shouldn’t be. No, we should be about 5-0 down! They scored and then dominated the game, but a fabulous run from Butra got us a undeserved equalizer. Not that I’m complaining.

Incredibly, wonderfully, we’ve won 2-1! Hyson headed in from a corner just after the break to give us a lucky 3 points. Not a good game, and not one we deserved 3 points from, but hey, we’ve got them. Where will we have to pay? Disappointed looking at the league, we’ve drawn 12 games, if we’d won 8 of those, we’d be in contention for the title.

Runcorn away, and two young players, 15 year old Ian Hodson, and 14 year old Paul Campbell are both on the bench. The only changes are Maher in for Riordan, Laurie in for Mitchell, to get them back atoned, and Gibson is in for Stringfellow. We should win here, and that is the ask, definitely.

Half time, and we’re a easy 3-0 up. Samba got two, one from, believe it or not, a corner, and Breslan tapping in a wonderful cross by O’Brien. O’Brien sets up so many goals its unbelievable. Both the youngsters are going to have to come on at half time because of injuries to Gibson and Samba. Hodson is a midfielder and Campbell a striker.

It finished 4-0, Maher heading in from yet another corner! Campbell caused them immense trouble and should have scored, and Hodson looked neat. The future of this club is bright.

Or not, Campbell has been ruled out for 3 months with a nasty leg injury, disappointing for the lad, I was looking forward to him banging goal after goal away for the U19’s. The result we needed, keeps the run going, and we’re into the next round!

Northwich at home today, the day that our opponents for the 6th round of the F.A Trophy are announced. We have Margate at home. Gibson (injured) is out for Stringfellow, which is the only change. The two young lads are off the bench, to be replaced by their more esteemed elders. I wouldn’t put money on the outcome of a U19/1st Team head to head though…

Half time, its 0-0, we’ve had the better, but really need to get the ball in the net!

A 2-0 win, goals from Butra, then Samba after wonderful play from sub McEwen, twisting and turning in superb controlled style, gave us a good win, and puts us only 10 points behind now! If only we had won a few of those drawn games, like when Telford equalized in the last minute, oh if only….

Unfortunately, Butra will be out for a week, which is disappointing.

Farnborough away this Saturday, and I want 3 points here really. McEwen comes in for Butra. Rioch is injured, so Laurie goes to left back, and Mitchell to right back.

We’re 2 up inside 90 seconds, Scottie Mitchell and McEwen benefiting from fabulous moves to score. We must not throw this away, I know how we are, this is one we could easily cock up.

We haven’t a great professional performance sees us win 2-0. We were under the cosh, but never really let them get into us. A good performance, one we can be proud of, Barnet only drew, 8 points in it now…we have to keep going, we can’t slip up, it’s the big one V Telford next week, have to keep going…

This is the big one, Telford United at the Gay Meadow. Win, and we’ll be acclaimed, we’ll continue our run, and we’ll have had 4 points off Telford. Lose, and Telford will escape with our pride, they’ll end 21 games unbeaten…there’s only one option.

I have a new player to select, should I desire to, Roy O’Donovan is a 19 year old attacking midfielder released by Coventry. He signs a 1 year deal.

Rioch is back at left back, Laurie his opposite number on the right. Butra is back in for the unlucky McEwen. Dave has played excellently, and he’s a excellent, clever, quick thinking player, but Butra is our top scorer, and lends us so much, he wins it, just.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 up Breslan’s 5th of the season putting us ahead on 30 minutes. Bad news though, is that both O’Brien and Gibson have gone off injured, that’s upset us and we’re not playing as well as we have recently.

Yes! 1-0 it finished! Shropshire Pride is ours! A scrappy game, as all Telford’s are, which didn’t allow for many chances, and made it a midfield battle, where I think Mitchell, Hicks and Breslan just about prevailed.

Barnet won with a last minute goal, there’s 8 games left, I think we need to not lose, and win about 6 of them at least. It’ll all come down to Barnet away, second to last game of the season.

It’s the F.A Trophy again, and Margate at home. No doubt, I want to win, and I field a side with only one change, the tired Chris O’Brien rested, O’Donovan replaces him for his debut.

1-0 up at the break, Breslan with the strike early on. We’re on top, but have to get more goals, that’s important as Margate are useful. O’Donovan should have scored with a excellent chance.

And boy did we get it! Breslan made his point, and slamming the ball unstoppably home from 25 yards basically got us the points. O’Donovan made his debut perfect by heading home a Gibson corner, then Breslan again, picked up the ball, swiveled off his man, and from 30 yards out cracked a shot that raced into the bottom corner, to give Breslan a hattrick, and enforce the fact that, yes, he is on form! Butra finished the rout with a sweetly struck volley, which lodged perfectly into the bottom corner. A great performance, but to be honest, I don’t think Margate were that interested, we used it as a chance to play some excellent football, and score plenty of goals. Dispite this, I was impressed with their young centre back, Sam Sodje, he tackled well, battled hard, but eventually Butra was too much for him. That’s the thing about Butra, his mission in life is to be a all-round bloody nuisance to defenders, and he does it very well!

A big game tonight, 5th placed Scarborough away, and I want to win (of course), but we’ll have to see. ‘Boro are a tough act. O’Brien is back in midfield of course. O’Donovan is on the bench.

Half time, and things are and are not going to plan. Firstly, the bad, Cherno Samba has been sent off, for pushing, grrr, why can’t you fine loan players. Also, we’ve missed about 4 chances my granny could have put away, but on the other hand we are 1-0 up, Butra scoring his 20th of the season. Got to hold onto this.

A 1-1 draw, they equalized just after the break, a scrappy, undeserved goal, we didn’t clear a ball bouncing around our 6 yard box, and their lad rolled it home. After that it was all the home side, but we held on. Serves to say their keeper got man of the match, we should have had the game wrapped up in the first half, but with 10 men I’m happy with a point. We’re 7 points behind, but it could be 5, this is where (and why) we’re not really challenging for the title.

Lloyd Grist, a good young full back has gone to Plymouth for 10k.

Margate at home, and a repeat of the cup game would be very welcome. We’ll have to do it without Samba, who is suspended, and he’s replaced by McEwen. Apart from that it’s the same team.

Half time, and we’re 2-0 up, the 9th and 10th goals from Gregor Rioch, our left back! We’re cutting them apart, and must make sure we continue to do so.

Well would you Adam and Eve it! We have replicated our cup form! Just as I thought we were going to play out a 2-0 win, sub Tony Smith set up Butra for a great finish, then Butra, jinxing his way down the win returned the favor, and Smith headed home. Still time for Butra, cutting in along the byline he humiliated their shell shocked keeper by firing home from a impossible angle.

We are officially in the play-offs! Half way there, we’ve got to shove them for the title, we must, we can do it, we can!

Kevin Street has left us, and gone to Sheff Wed for a eventual £30k Weakening when we need to be strong maybe, but having just signed O’Donovan, we can’t keep everyone.

We have been dealt a blow by the news that Samba will be suspended for one more game, which means the big one against Chester this weekend.

I’ve won manager of the month, and Gregor Rioch’s screamer against Margate got goal of the month.

Chester at home, the F.A Trophy Semi Final first leg. We need to win, and by a big margin, no two ways about it. We are massively boosted by the return of skipper Smith, which is good, but in his absence the defense has been brilliant, its needs to be today. I think we can do it, but Chester are a very good side, we’ll need all the confidence and ability we can call on. Well not all, we need to save some for the next leg. Come on lads, we need to do the business now, now is the time lads, come on, its nearly there!

Half time, 0-0, Chester are frustrating us, and 3 of us have been booked. Must get a goal, Chester are just lurking, causing trouble, must score, and soon.

0-0. A terrible result, at their place, it will be incredibly tough. We never got going, and Chester were typical Chester, they just frustrated, us, they’re not as good a side, they just make themselves hard to break down, pathetic, sides like that shouldn’t bother, if you’re not going to try and win the game, why play?

Burton Away, and we need to win. We’ll have to do so, and for a while, without Chris O’Brien, he’s broken his collar bone, and is out for a month. O’Donovan comes in. Changes also up front, Butra is one yellow away from a ban, so McEwen and Samba start, Butra on the bench.

1-0 up at half time, a own goal from their centre half putting us, if it stays this way, within 4 points of Barnet.

3-0 The final score, Samba latching onto two perfectly judged McEwen passes to fire home, a good morale booster, and a good pro performance, get the points and get out. Recreate this on Saturday, and I’ll be chuffed. Blasted Maher got injured today, he’ll be out for Chester.

Well, to do or die today, Chester city in the return leg. Win this, and I’ll be more than pleased, but it’s a big ask, they’re a tough nut to crack. Hyson in for Maher, and Butra is back.

Half time, its 0-0, and we should be ahead, but we’re not…and that’s bad, because Chester will just nick it, I can see the script written.

Full time, and its going into the extra period. We’re on 10 men, and up against it, Cherno bloody Samba sent off for dissent. They’re lad, who was booked, hauled Butra down when one on one is still on the pitch! We’ve had 9 shots on goal, they’ve had one, guess who’ll win?

And they have, 1-0, a tap in, only their second shot on target, we had 11, their keeper got man of the match, I hate Chester! They’re just annoying, always getting in the way of teams that try to play properly, a jammy goal, a jammy game, sod them. Bunch of talentless monoliths. We deserved to win, 25 games unbeaten comes to a end, and we didn’t deserve it, Samba will be hammered, with him we would have taken it all the way.

Forest green Rovers at home tonight, and I want a nice win to take away the Chester blues. McEwen in for Samba, and Maher returns, so Hyson goes to the bench.

Forest Green came here trying to attack and have paid the price, they’re 2-0 down. Butra got the first, a great strike from 25 yards which flew like a bullet into the bottom corner, then Butra crossed for the classy McEwen to head in. I’ve grown to like McEwen, he hasn’t played many games before he came to us, but the ones he did were for Spurs and Q.P.R. Which does show his ability, he has a good touch and always seems to have space. Yes, a good player.

At full time, as the fans filed out in the rain, we had made it 3-0, Challinor headed in from a corner. Barnet got hammered at Dagenham, there is a mere point in it. We have to time it right, 4 games to go, we have to win them.

Gravesend away, and we need to win. Samba is back on the bench. A good pro performance needed, get in, get the points, get out.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 down, and we’re not showing the necessary drive and desire. We seem to think we can just stroll up and beat these teams, well Gravesend are battling, and we need to start fighting them.

A 1-1 draw, and a top draw goal from McEwen got us the points. Not good enough, Barnet won, the gap is 3 points again. We were out fought today, but still had the chances, Butra’s finishing is absolutely crap, he scores wonder goals, but when he’s one on one with the net gaping, he misses. And he did so today, with seconds left, he missed, that could cost us so much. I want this title, if we only get in the play offs we’ll be so exhausted, mentally as much as physically, from charging for the title, we won’t win, we have to take the title, we have to! But look at the table, and you can see why we’re struggling, 14 draws. Draws at Tamworth, Forest green, there are so many times we’ve not won games when we should have, and that is down to not having a striker that can just hit the target with every chance. Butra is flashy, McEwen creates chances, Samba is strong, but you wouldn’t put your house on any one of them to score 9 times out of 10 one on ones. Now its 3 wins or broke really, we, unless they lose 2 of their games and draw with us, have to beat Barnet at Barnet.

We’re at home to Woking, and guess what, we need a win. We’re a unchanged side.

Gregor Rioch missed his 4th minute penalty, but turned in the rebound. Butra missed his one on one shot, but McEwen fired home moments later. So there you are, 2-0, Barnet are winning, that Gravesend result will finish us, that’s given Barnet such a boost, they’re going to do it.

Two nil it finished, we did what we had to do. Barnet won 5-1. Says it all, they’re coming in to form, we had to win at Gravesend.

Well, this is it, the biggest game of the season. We have to win today at Barnet, and believe me, I know how tough it will be. We simply have to win, things have to go right, we just have to. Two games to go, we need to win them both, no two ways about it. We’ve beaten them before, and now we’ve got to again, it was us that beat them, and sent them on the slippery slide that has let us catch them up, now we have to screw the final nail into their coffin, we simply have to! We’re the form team, although winning 5-1 away can’t have hampered their confidence. We cannot afford for Butra to miss easy chances, we can’t afford to have crap set pieces, we can’t afford to give the ball away, miss headers, make mistakes, get dragged out of position, miss penalties, not take chances, take risks, we just, by hook or by crook, have to win, we have to win! The side is the same, I would like to have Chris O’Brien, but we haven’t. Half time, its 0-0, we’ve pummeled them, everyone is on edge….must score….

We’ve done it! We’ve won! Yessss! With half and hour to go, Challinor headed in a corner, then they went for it, they attacked and attacked and attacked, but where, in the first half, we charged forward and didn’t get anywhere, they cut us apart with precision. Somehow though, they couldn’t actually score, and we, with 11 behind the ball, eventually held on. Big time Barnet’s 21 point lead completely destroyed, us in top spot (on goal difference), and now we have to win the title, we must not let them have the satisfaction, we must take the title, we must!

Well, this is it, Morecambe at home, we have to win, our is in our hands, we just have to for fill our half of the bargin. I put the same side out, and hope they do the business, and hope whatever team Chester play beats Barnet. What more to say, know any good prayers?

Half time, its 0-0, we just can’t score, we’ve hit the post twice, Barnet are winning, we have to score, we have to!

Butra doesn’t have much in common with Roberto Carlos. He’s not left footed, he doesn’t have thunder thighs, and he doesn’t play for Real Madrid. He does however, have one similarity, no matter who I pick, he takes all the free kicks, and, unlike Roberto Carlos, he’s crap at them, today though, he got it right. On 70 minutes, with me tearing my hair out, he stepped up, and from 30 yards, curled a wonderful strike into the bottom corner, fitting he should score the goal. 5 minutes later, one of my favorites, Paul Challinor cannoned a volleyed shot high into the net to send Gay Meadow into raptures. YESSSSSSSSS! CHAMPIONS! We’ve done it, we’ve demolished, that 21 point lead, Barnet, who drew 2-2 with Chester, are humbled, we are up, we are back in the league, and I have what I wanted! Really we should have had the F.A trophy to boot, but never mind. I am chuffed, elated, over the moon!

Here then, is our record; Played 42, Won 26, Drawn 14, Lost 2, Scored 79, Conceded 18, GD +61, 91 points. Our top 5 players for appearances, were Gavin Kelly at 51 (100% record), Butra 50, Laurie 47, Maher 46. Goals, Butra 24, Samba 12, Rioch and Smith 11, Breslan 7. Assists, O’Brien 19, Butra 13, Rioch and Samba 8, and Gibson and Laurie 7. Top for average rating was Butra at 7:98, then O’Brien at 7:30, then Laurie, 7:21. Worst for discipline was Laurie with 12 yellows and no reds. As far as the league goes, Butra was 4th top scorer, and headed the average rating charts. Kelly was top of appearances, being one of only 4 players to play in every game. Gregor Rioch was top of penalties, and O’Brien of assists. Butra was also top of man of the match awards. One thing I was very pleased with was the top 6 players in the pass completion list were ours, and 3 of them were midfield players. Laurie and Rioch were top of tackles per game, and Butra (not surprisingly) topped the dribbles per game list. The team came second in the average attendance, with a disappointing 2700 or so. We easily won the ‘games without losing’ thing, with our 37!!!!(league) game unbeaten run giving us both that award and the title. We scored the 3rd most goals, and let in the least, with only 18 we were 22 ahead of Dagenham, who conceded 40! We were top of penalties with 9, and, amazingly, because I criticized them a lot, top of ‘goals from corners’, with 17! Blow me down!

Barnet, probably injured by losing the title (hahahHAHAHHA) whipped Scarborough

6-0 in the play of semi first leg.

Dagenham won the play off final, and join us in the 3rd Division. ‘Lets all laugh at Barnet, lets all laugh at Barnet…da a da da, da da da da’ ahem…

Apparently the fans were outside the ground and in the streets as we paraded the Conference Trophy around Shrewsbury today, I’m chuffed, I can really start work now, getting out of the conference was the minimum requirement last season. I’ve also been named manager of the year, and I think its deserved, to inspire ( I think) the side to whittle away another clubs 21 point lead is a hell of an achievement. I’ve also got manager of the month. Goal of the season has been announced, Gregor Rioch, for his effort against Margate, gets the top award, then an Exeter lad’s strike against us, then Butra against Forest Green not s

A story of the Lower League Manager, 03/04.

I’m back, this is the continuing story of my LLM fight, and I’m back, back at the club where I ‘made’ my imaginary name.

I took over at Shrewsbury town this morning. A very warm welcome from Chairman Roland Wycherley, but his news on the football front isn’t good. I’m expected to gain the Championship of this league they call the conference, and he’s given me no money to do so. I’ve been working hard today, coaches, training, players on trial, loads of things will be happening at the Gay Meadow very soon. The club is a little in debt, but nothing that can’t be wiped, but it desperately needs sorting out. And sort it out I will! That’s what I do, I take clubs like this, and I turn them around. Or that’s the plan.

Believe it or not, I have a friendly today, on my first day at the club. (It was already arranged.) Fortunately, it ties in with what I had planned; its Halesowen away.

An interesting game, which we won 3-2. Poor defensively, lacked pace and organization, but going forward looked good, with Jamie Tolley, the brightest prospect at the club, controlling the midfield, and letting Luke Rodgers, the second brightest prospect, score 2 of the goals. Colin Cramb is the other star player, he scored a few for Dutch premier league club Fortuna Sittard a few seasons ago. Pleased with the overall performance, a good first result, and the 50 or so traveling fans gave me a shout, hope they’ll still be doing so in a few months.

I’ve also signed the player the text book says is your most important; your first. Its Carl Laurie, a 21 year old midfielder who has the lot, pace, strength, passing, 2 feet, can play in 6 positions, and is a absolute blinder. Honest!

Another great signing, 33 year old Richard Smith is a experienced, fast, powerful centre back who will be our captain and will be a massive signing. He’s a favorite of mine, and I know will be one of our most important players.

We trot off down the motorway again today, to take on Rhyl. We have several (hundred?) trialists in at the moment, with varying levels of talent, who will get a run out today.

A 2-0 victory, Dave McEwen getting both, looks an excellent player, and will probably get a deal. Good performance, and Smith was (as expected commanding at the back). The board have suggested I sell players, huum, I wonder if anyone wants Rodgers?

Some fabulous players on trial, but how many will sign for me. I’ve spent the week showing various players with various amounts of talent around the club, we’re on PR overdrive! The clubs open day was a success, and we sold a few shirts!

Had a chat with Dario Gradi, and the upshot is we’ll play Crewe in a friendly at Gay Meadow near the start of the season.

Also, a huge signing, Almeira’s Butra has joined us on loan for the season, he’s a incredibly skillful forward I’ve had before, and is a absolute class act. Dave McEwen has signed a 2 year deal, which is good.

Welshpool, and our whole 22 for this friendly will be made up of trialists. Don’t be surprised if I haven’t got a clue who’s scored; err, yeah, it’s the errr….blonde bloke….yeah…hang on…that’s the goalie….

A 2-1 victory, and one or two of the players look useful, only useful mind.

Still trying to sell some players, no one seems to want the range of incredibly talented crap I’ve inherited…wonder why…

Two more players meet their new colleagues today. Tony Smith, a powerful young striker, and Gavin Kelly, a young keeper have signed contracts, two good additions.

Andrew Martin, a powerful forward has signed a contract, which means we have a few good strikers now.

Also signed Billy Gibson, who is an excellent 18 year old midfield player with massive potential. Excellent both on the ball and off it he’ll be a big part of the side this season.

Two signings today, Geoff Breslan, a midfield player with a hell of a long shot on him has arrived at sunny Shrewsbury for free, and I have a assistant, Gerry Reddy, who I have worked with before has joined me, what I hope will be the start of a very successful partnership.

We have Canvey Island away, and I’m playing the 1st team, we need to start preparing for the season proper.

Won the worst game of our season so far 2-0, Martin and McEwen with the goals. Not impressed by our defending, and things will have to be done about that!

Two more mighty players signed, Damien Maher, a excellent 28 year old centre back of Irish origin has put pen to paper, and John McMenamey, a skillful young left winger also has pledged his future to us, a wise decision?

Ian Dunbavin, one of our keepers has departed for 4k to Gloucester City, he wouldn’t have got in the team anyway.

I’m settling into the place now, redecorated my office, which nearly bankrupted the club, and I’m beginning to sort things out. The players are responding well to the training, even though quite a few of they are on the transfer list. The pre-season form is excellent, we haven’t lost, and if we can get a good result in front of our own fans against Crewe on Saturday I will be chuffed. Then comes the league, and we have a tough start, Chester and Aldershot away

Some ins and outs today. Young forward Neville Thompson has left the club for £50k to Crewe, and we play Crewe today! A big fee, and we need some big fees!

An entertaining game finished 1-1, not bad, we’re undefeated in pre-season, and this sets us up well for the upcoming season.

I’ve been priced 5-1 to get promoted, this has come as no surprise, we must go up!

Matty Hyson, a experienced 27 year old left back has arrived, hopefully a quality signing. I’m trying to get someone for the right back slot, this is a important position in the formation I intend to play, so hopefully we’ll have quality in that position.

First game, and it’s a massive one; a local derby away at Chester City. We’re lining up with 5 at the back, 3 in midfield, then Butra sitting behind a loan striker.

The team is thus; Kelly in goal, left to right, Hyson, Maher, Tinson, Smith at sweeper, who is skipper, then Laurie at right back. In midfield, Tolley, Breslan and Gibson, then Butra and Martin.

Lost a terrible game 2-0, they outplayed, outpassed and completely destroyed us. Butra wasted our best chance of the match but in truth we were awful, I think it was just that some of the players hadn’t played together very much, but we will have to desperately improve. Not a good first result, but one I hope will be quickly erased.

A chance to do so tonight, our own supporters file into our Gay meadow stadium to see us take on Aldershot, a by no means crap outfit. The side is the same, they we’re so awful, changes won’t improve it, they need to blend. I’m looking for a win, a draw is no good, we need to say right, forget that, our season starts here, get in the driving seat and stay there.

Things are going badly wrong at half time. Instead of taking the multitude of chances offered to us, we’ve cocked it up. Its 0-0, but, with us in the ascendancy, Maher decided to get himself sent off. We don’t have another centre back. So we’re on 10 men, and instead of going for 3 points, we’ll be lucky to get one.

It finished 0-0, and as we wallowed in abject crapness it was only Richard Smith that stopped a rout. Going forward we were woeful, but should have won with the chances we did create. I’m not pleased, we’re not doing the simple things, but I’ll pull them in and I’ll sort it out. We’ve the league leaders Dagenham away on Saturday, and we’re without one of our defenders, we’ll probably get massacred.

A signing, and a central defender, 30 year old Irishman Sean Riordan should be a excellent signing, until we can get someone better, he’ll go straight into the team for tomorrows game. Karl Murrey has left the club for Dover Athletic, with £8k going the other way, and Glenn Tolley, Jamie’s cousin, has gone to Canvey Island for £12k.

The coach ride down to London to take on league leaders Dagenham away, Riordan is straight in for Maher.

0-0 at the break, we’ve hit the post and caused trouble, but generally we’re on the back foot. We need to get a midfield grip, and fast.

We scored our first goal of the season just after the break, Butra taking the ball down and firing low under the keeper to give the away fans something to cheer about. It didn’t take them long to equalize however. They didn’t seem to know just how far on the back foot they’d got us, and failed to press home their advantage. We were hanging on by our finger nails, the defense looking very flexible and breakable in deed, but somehow we did hold on, and come away with a 1-1 draw. A good point, but we needed to have won on Tuesday, we’re 2nd to bottom, with 2 points, we need to get up the table.

A quality player has walked in his golden boots over the Gay Meadow ‘welcome’ doormat. Chris O’Brien (yes, that’s the one) is creative left footed 21 year old midfield player who becomes my first cash signing, having arrived from Droylsden for 2k. Hoping he will add a bit of attacking flair to the midfield. For the next match, Gibson will be dropped, and O’Brien will partner Breslan and Tolley in the centre of the park.

Halifax at home today, and we need to win, lets get really going! O’Brien comes in for Gibson, who is injured anyway, and Maher has been slapped with an extra 2 game ban, which keeps him out for today, and keeps our back 5 the same. Desperate to give our fans something to cheer about, and really show we can play, we have to win convincingly today. After 3 pathetic performances Andrew Martin’s out, Tony Smith is in, and Dave McEwen is on the bench.

Half time, and we’re playing excellently, Butra should have had a hattrick, when he’s one on one, he’s poor. However, given a chance to cross the ball, and he’s top man, he’s crossed it twice, and twice we’ve scored. Tony Smith and Jamie Tolley firing home for a 2-0 lead. Chris O’Brien has played excellently so far, his left foot has hit two stinging drives, one reverberated off the post, the other clipped it and went wide.

It finished with a plus 3 scorline. Tony Smith got his second of the game, fashioning a non-existent chance and smashing the ball home. They played well second half, and I didn’t think we tackled hard or often enough, but hopefully we’ll improve. I think Halifax had a major off day, but it was promising, and hopefully it’ll build confidence. Fans went home happy, but they’re going to expect more, so do I, so there’s something we have in common.

Stevenage away, a difficult trip made slightly easier by the fact their golden boy, Anthony Elding, is suspended. We’e one change, Hyson (injured) is replaced by Greg Rioch. The injured McEwen is replaced on the bench by Luke Rodgers.

Half time, and we’re 2-0 down, and have been since the 10th minute. Kelly saved twice, but couldn’t hold it and was tapped in, then terrible, unorganized defending let them in for a second. My sides do not defend like this, it just doesn’t happen! We’re abysmal, we’ve lost this game and we know it.

It finished 3-0, they scored minutes after we’d hit the bar. We had chances to come back, but we were woeful, the centre halves acted like a wet dishcloth, Tinson twice left his man unmarked for their goals, the full backs didn’t pay any attention to their wingers, the midfield didn’t tackle, overall, a complete disaster. One we will have to wipe from our books and put in the ‘bad day’ folder, but we looked like a poor side, a disorganized rabble that didn’t do anything professionally or made any effort to look like a team. If they think they’re going to get away with this they’ve another think coming, they’ll be run into the floor tomorrow, then made to watch the video, then we’ll take them on a nice job through the streets, let the fans in this town laugh at their pathetic non-effort.

On refection, I think we’re still bedding in, but we’re going to have to do it quick, we’re not playing how I want us at all.

The famous Accrington Stanley at home tonight, and, with Maher back, I’m looking for a good result.

Half time, and I can’t believe my eyes, I’m not sure what I’m seeing, have they put something in the tea? We’re 5-0 up! Yes 5-0! Rioch first, smashing home a penalty, then Butra, firing low under the goalie. Tony Smith extended our lead with a 20 yard piledriver. Then Butra got another, heading in after a mistake from their keeper. The best though, came last, picking up the ball 35 yards out, Chris O’Brien sidestepped his marker and curled a strike of incredible pace power and grace into the bottom corner on his left foot! What a strike!

I cannot believe it; we’ve finished 8 goals to the good! 8-0! We’ve scored so many I’ve forgotten who scored! We got another penalty, which Rioch buried, then came goal of the night no2. Surrounded by 4 players, Chris O’Brien swiveled on the corner of the box, as he turned, his left foot swung, and connected with the ball perfectly. The ball screamed high into the net and sent the supporters into raptures of delight. How many’s that? Ah yes, there was still time for Butra to get his hattrick, he rounded the last man, ran 40 yards, and buried the ball from the edge of the area past a shell-shocked keeper, who I feel distinctly sorry for.

A fabulous result, and one we must use to go on a good run, we have to charge up the table, we’ve shown people the promise is there, now we have to produce it regularly. This could be a double edged sword, lose on Saturday and people will be saying ‘they can win 8-0 but can’t beat these’, we have to show people what we can do. To be fair, break this down and it doesn’t look quite so good, 2 penalties (6-0) two wonder goals, which won’t be scored every week, (4-0) and a mistake (3-0), so break it down and it’s a good result, but nothing like what we’ve got! Can’t argue, hopefully this will eject confidence into a dressing room that was definitely down after Saturday.

It’s a Saturday, but I’m not involved. None of us are, its international weekend, which gives me a chance to reward our little lads with a few days off, aren’t I nice! Have a nice weekend off lads I shout, and their reply’s also contain ‘off’ but I can’t quite make out the rest….

We resume our program after our (rather unwanted) break with Tamworth at home today. I want a win again, 8-0 might be a bit much to ask, but we have got to win. Hyson doesn’t win his place back at left back, but does go to the bench.

Half time, we’re 2-0 up, a fabulous pass from O’Brien released Butra and he scored his 5th of the season, then Tolley tapped home after a corner was reintroduced by Maher.

We’d doubled our lead by full time, 12 goals in 2 games and non the other way! Butra got another, and Tony Smith, who had missed 2 sitters rolled home a lose back pass. Another excellent performance which O’Brien dominated, still looked a little dodgy at the back, but we’ll work on that, good going forward, and if Smith could get onto a few Butra crosses we’d be even better!

Darren Moss, a admittedly good player, has left us for Colchester, £10k comes the other way. Ryan Lowe has also agreed to leave, he’s going to Ballyclare for £0. Disappointing to have to sell these people, Lowe is a good player, but he’s on quite a bit of money.

I’ve signed Paul Challinor on a 1 year deal, he’s a huge, fast centre back who I’ve had before from Droylsden, and should be a excellent signing.

big game, Hereford away, a local derby. I think we can win, we’re in good nick, and if we’re really going to do something we need to win games like this. Lets go and do it.

Half time and our unchanged side has run the game but hasn’t scored. We should have, and if we don’t and they do, I ain’t gonna be pleased, and it’ll be a disaster.

It finished 0-0, but by the final whistle, we definitely should have won, Tony Smith missed two golden chances, and its 2 points dropped. Not completely unhappy because it was a great performance, but we might regret this. We’re 10 points behind the leaders; we need to keep winning games.

I’ve had a bid of £95k for Luke Rodgers from Hull, which means he could be on his way…

And he has gone, for said fee plus a sell on clause, Luke has gone Northwards. A quality player, and he’ll do very well.

Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute away tonight, and it should be 3 points. Same side, but Andrew Martin comes to the seat on the bench that Rodgers vacates.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Tony Smith stabbing home. Kelly has saved a penalty of theirs, but the biggest thing is that Butra has gone off injured. Please nothing is wrong just as things were starting to go right.

Just as I thought Leigh might get back into the game, we scored, Maher heading in a corner. I would say, maybe except Accrington, our best performance of the season. We showed great professionalism, and got the goals we needed. Butra by the way, is not seriously injured.

I’ve signed two players; Michael Stringfellow and Mark Hicks are a midfielder and winger/forward respectively. Stringfellow comes for free, and Hicks for 4k.

Neither of them get places in squad or bench for today’s game at home to ex-league Exeter. We’re unchanged, and looking for a win, ta very much.

Half time, we’re 2-0 up having scored 2 inside 2 first half minutes. Smith got the first from 20 yards after being set up by O’Brien, then Butra latched onto a deep swinging Laurie cross to roll home. O’Brien and Butra have caused absolute consternation, and we should have had more.

We’ve drawn 2-2! They scored two goals (the first we’ve conceded in 4 games) as we went to sleep and forgot to keep up the pace. Incredibly disappointing, but it doesn’t surprise me, I was wondering how long it would be before we threw away a lead…we’re 12 points behind, which isn’t good enough. We missed chances today, but in truth should and could have wrapped the game up, Smith missed a glorious chance in injury time, when the pressure’s on, he seems to falter. We have to recover from this, but we looked better, we played at pace (in the first half) but there’s no time to develop consistency, we’ve got to achieve it instantly, we’ve got to get out of this league.

Three pieces of transfer news, and I can announce that Leon Drysdale, and Colin Cramb, will be leaving us in January, for nothing to Caerlon and £10k to Motherwell respectively, and Sam Aiston, the clubs second highest earner (Cramb is top) has gone to Swansea for £8k. Happy about this, Cramb and Aiston command over 3,500 per week in wages, getting that millstone off my neck will be a huge boost. Drysdale I don’t have a problem with, but I’d like to see the back of him, simply because I don’t rate him as a player.

Awards for us this month, Butra has got player of the month, O’Brien young player of the month, richly deserved I might add, and O’Brien’s fabulous first curling shot against Accrington was voted goal of the month!

Northwich away, and anything less than 3 points isn’t really good enough. We’re unchanged again.

Half time in a very quiet game, its 0-0.

More bloody points thrown away, we scored through Andrew Martin, then allowed them to dance through our defense to score a undeserved goal. 1-1 the score. Very disappointing, we’re 8th, and even more points behind, the championship is going to be beyond us at Christmas if we don’t watch it. We need to start winning games, I don’t want to be a side that throws things away.

All the U19 players have signed new contracts today. Fools, they’re 9 month contracts, all of them will be on the dole this time next year.

Another Saturday we don’t have a game, flippin Euro internationals.

It has been decided that we will play 3rd division Mansfield at home in the LDV Vans first round.

And while we’re talking about cups, the town hasn’t been set on fire by the news that we’ll play non-league Colwyn Bay in the qualifying round. Important we have a good run in that really.

What is also important is that we win tonight, we have Farnborough at home, and that should be a good excuse for a win. Same team.

Lately Breslan has been showing he can hit it from range. He hasn’t scored, but this game, he has. Twice O’Brien has taken corners to the edge of the area, twice his 25 yard shots have beaten the keeper to give us a 2 goal lead. We mustn’t throw this away.

And 2-0 it finished, pleased, but again we sat off in the second half. Trouble is we’re not good enough to start retreating into a shell. Ok result, one we should have got, and did get, it wasn’t pretty, but, job done. Concentrate on this weekend now, which is a big one…

Shropshire pride rests on today, well until the return fixture. Telford away, win, the county becomes blue, lose, it becomes white. The other thing is we need the points! On form, we should win, but don’t kid yourself, it won’t be that easy…. Telford are a big, powerful, well organized professional outfit, just the sort we hate…We’ll have to be good, but we can do it. We’re unchanged.

In a evenly matched game its 0-0, we should have scored, but they’re dangerous and are doing their thing. Butra has missed a golden chance as has Smith. You get the feeling the first goal will win this, we must up the tempo.

A 1-1 draw, we took the lead through Rioch, but Lee Mills equalized with a minute to go. A minute! Another 2 points dropped, this isn’t good enough, we should be professional enough to hold these leads. We’re 7th and slipping away, we have got to win, drawing isn’t good enough! Typical Telford, crap all game then nick something, why can’t sides that play good football with honest flair and endeavor (like us!) win these games?

Mansfield at home tonight in the Vans, a win would be nice, but if not, fair enough.

Half time, and we’ve had 10 shots on target. Its 0-0. Lose this, and I won’t be happy.

On 90 minutes, its 1-1! Butra finally scored one of our 15 chances, but they equalized with their only shot of the game, being allowed the freedom of our box to roll home. Not happy. Extra time to play.

It goes to penalties, apparently 20 chances aren’t enough to win a game.

We’re useless at penalties, Rioch, Maher, Smith (who’s was really pathetic) and Butra all missed. Crap. We should have won this game easily, I hope the players are embarrassed.

A chance to put that behind us and win convincingly; we’ve Colwyn Bay at home in the F.A Cup qualifiers. Hicks and McEwen are on the bench, the only change to the starters is Gibson is in for Tolley.

Half time, its 0-0, but its only, surely, a matter of time until we score.

We eventually scored, and won 1-0, after they had a man sent off. McEwen scored a few minutes later. What is really disappointing is that the game shut down, so I’ve had to replay this game. The first time I played it, I won 4-1, this result is not as likely to entice some of the 6300 people in today back in next week. Damn game.

Our reward for beating Colwyn? Blackpool at home, which is a great draw, we could well beat them.

The first of Breslan’s goals against was named goal of the month today.

We have Scarborough at home today, and I want a win, hopefully some of the 6000 will come in to boost the crowd. Important we get a good result. Tolley is back in the middle for Gibson.

Half time, its 0-0, but Tolley, Butra and Smith are all injured, I’m going to have to sub 2 of them. It’s a terrible game, I think the first goal will decide it, I can just see us throwing this away.

A 0-0 draw, and one we should have won. Scarborough are 4th, so they’ll be chuffed, we just couldn’t get going, and we had 7 corners! 7! And not a header or shot on target from any of them. Pathetic. Oh, and they didn’t boost the crowd.

Margate away on a Tuesday night, how many of our fans will follow us? Again, the team is the same.

Half time and we’re 1-0 up following a 5th minute Rioch penalty. A terrible game on a terrible pitch, we’ve carried on the lethargic crap we’ve been showing in the previous 2 games.

We won a awful game 1-0, should have been more even though they had most of the pressure. We’ve paid for it, Breslan and Smith both getting injured. We’ve lost Breslan for 3 weeks, which is a massive blow, and Smith for a week. Both out for Blackpool then. Breslan is the driving force in midfield, and will be missed.

Well, the big game of the season, and probably the biggest game of my fledgling career. Blackpool at home in the F.A Cup. A big game, and one I know we can win, but we’re going to have to play so much better than we recently have, we’ve been lethargic and boring, we need to up the tempo and get at them today. We can do it, and I hope we can, because we need the money! Gibson is in for Breslan and McEwen is in for Smith.

Half time its 0-0, they’ve had more possession, but we’ve hit the bar, we’re not functioning to our potential though.

We can’t score at the moment, and we haven’t again, its finished 0-0. A replay. We had by far the more chances and we should have won. We went to pieces at the end, and were just smashing it out, disappointed again, we didn’t play properly, everything looks a vast effort, we’re not smooth. I think it says something though that their keeper got man of the match.

The draw for the next round was made today, who will we get if we beat Blackpool? United? Chelsea? Nope, Margate. Wow.

Southampton’s Scott Bevan has joined us on loan for the rest of the season. Not only does it allow me to decide if I want to sign him permanently at the end of the season it allows me to try and get Scott Howie’s £600 per week off the bill.

This is the replay, I’m hoping for a win, I know we can still win. We’ve had a break, and now we need to come back strong and fit, and batter these tonight, lets come away semi-giant killers. No Tolley! The Welsh U21 squad has picked him up for some crap tournament. Stringfellow makes his debut. Tony Smith is back up front.

Half time, its 1-1, they scored early on but a great move saw Tony Smith equalize. Jittery, and I think they could score at any time. We have to keep holding on.

Isn’t football cruel, just as I began to think we had a chance, Laurie headed the ball into his own net from a corner. Heads hit the floor. With minutes remaining Cosford tried the old double substitution ploy; injured Butra and Maher off, Hicks and McEwen off. As a last gasp ploy, I threw captain and colossal sweeper Richard Smith forward. He won a flick, and sent Laurie racing away towards the byline, Laurie’s cross came into the box, evaded everyone’s head, and skidded away towards the edge of the box where Chris O’Brien came sliding in to net a completely deserved equalizer! Into stoppage time, and yes, you can guess what happened, they scored. After we’d scored I had no opportunity to reorganize the team, and as we blundered, they pulled us apart and scored with only seconds left. I don’t think my players could even bring themselves to shake hands with their opponents. In truth, although we did ok, we were outclassed, how many times Smith and Kelly kept us in the game, but midfield was the real battle ground, Gibson Stringfellow and O’Brien simply are not as tough as Tolley and Breslan, they were out tackled and couldn’t find the space and time afforded to them by Breslan to hit the passes that would have told. I’d like to mention Tony Smith, he ran himself into the floor, and did beyond the call of duty tonight, well done Tony. We’ve had a good day out, made some money, and played a good match. Back to the league.

Well, as I said, back to the league, and Burton Albion at home today. I want 3 points. Laurie has picked up 5 bookings, so DC Paul Challinor makes his debut at right back. Sorry Paul. Tolley is back, and because Stringfellow had a good game Wednesday, Gibson loses his place to Tolley.

Equal at nothing at half time, we should be ahead, but both teams are playing well, must improve though lads, there’s a big crowd in today.

In front of our biggest bloody crowd of the season it’s a 0-0 draw! 9 corners! 14 shots on target! 18 shots in total! No bloody goals! Not good enough, we’re sipping out of the play off spots, and 3 of our last 5 results have been 0-0! Butra can’t score, Smith scores occasionally, we just don’t hit enough goals, every time we get a chance we hit it straight at the keeper! We’re jepordising our entire season through not scoring enough goals! Just as we get a good crowd we play crap, that 9 draws for this season, that’s not satistfactory whatsoever.

Gravesend and Northfleet at home, and if we don’t win this one, I’m going to make the players play with a square ball. I’m going for a bit more of an attacking line up, and (thank god) Laurie and Breslan return.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Smith the goal scorer.

We, and Tony, had that doubled by full time, their keeper picked the ball up, then dropped it, Smith pounced. Easy. We won a good game without being at our best, we need to continue to improve, and hopefully we’ll get better.

Forest Green away, and I think we should be aiming for 3 points again here. The team is unchanged.

Half time, we’re 1-0 down, a miss hit, half arsed shot beat Kelly with the bounce just before half time.

A 1-1 draw and for the first time in 18 games we’ve scored from a corner! Maher the recipitant to equalize for us. A top team would have won here, no mistake, but I suppose this is ok. The trouble is, we’re running out of games like this, soon we go into games against the top clubs, fail against them, and we could be midtable and without a hope on anything. We are 4th for the time being though. One bad bit of news is Chris O’Brien will be out for a few weeks with a injury. Looks like Kevin Street will be getting some games. As will Andrew Martin, Smith played a rating 2 today…

Woking away, and O’Brien is fit and keeps his place. I think we should be aiming for 3 points here.

Half time we’re 1-0 up through Butra but we’ve missed at least 3 one on ones and had 2 goals disallowed! All that will probably cost us dear if I know this team. Must keep it going, we only have a one goal lead!

A crap game enlivened only by Butra, who finally managed to get his brain working enough once he was one on one with the keeper to make a conscious decision, which was to cross onto the head of Tony Smith who scored our second, and deciding goal. I can’t help but feel we’ve escaped London having played incredibly badly (again) but winning. We didn’t really look interested today, which is incredibly dangerous, but I suppose we do have the points. Not all bad.

A massive game tonight for everyone, league leaders Barnet at home. They’re 20 points ahead of us, and haven’t lost a league game at all this season. Today is the day that will change…hopefully. We can win tonight, but its going forward, we’ve got to take our chances, when a player is one on one, he must score, and there can be no missed chances tonight. Simply, everyone will have to play to their maximum potential; it’ll have to be a blinder. We’re unchanged again. The roar of the crowd, this is massive..

Half time, and we’ve battered them, absolutely wacked them, bar twice, post, a goal disallowed and several good saves from them keeps it 0-0. Should have scored, because you know what’ll happen…

A 1-0 win! We finally got just deserts when another flowing move ended with Butra being hacked down. Rioch converted the penalty perfectly, and we were on our way, there was never a chance of them coming back into it. With a few minutes to go, Chris O’Brien hit a screamer form 30 yards which came back of the post, Butra, 6 yards out with no one to beat, missed….

The mighty Barnet are beaten!

Morecambe away, and we should be aiming for 3 points here. Tony Smith is dropped after a crap performance on Tuesday, and Martin is in.

We’ve battered them, a Chris O’Brien 25 yard thundercrack and a low finish from Butra have given us a completely assailable 2-0 lead. Must hold on.

There was no problem with that, we’re on form, and emphasized the point when we scored again. Rioch’s penalty came back off the post, and Butra tucked it away. 22 chances on goal today, really played well.

Even the chairman was impressed.

Merry Christmas lads! ‘Merry Christmas gaffer, hows about Christmas day off?’ No chance boys, training as usual, well, have a good time! Oy! What off?

Strange, a Friday night game. And it has to be Aldershot away, hopefully 3 points, but 1 might not be too bad… The battered bunch o’ boys that pile of the bus tonight are the same set of mammals that played last time. A few big games coming up, lets start off with a good win.

0-0 at half time, and I think we’ve had too much to eat over the festive period…

And 0-0 at full time, boring boring boring yawnnn….

Big transfer news, not coming in to Shrewsbury Town, but going out. Out have gone Steve Jageilka, Colin Cramb, Ryan Lowe, and Leon Drysdale all leave to supposedly finer pastures. Ok that will leave us weaker, but only one of those has actually played for us this season, and it will leave us considerable better off financially. That lot real in a hell of a lot of wages. Scott Howie might be going as well.

Also rather important for us is the local derby at home to Chester City today. Drysdale has gone, so Jake Sedgemore (who?) has to come to the bench until I can get a utility man. Other than that unchanged.

Half time and we’re 1-0 up thanks to Sean Riordan heading in from yes! A 2nd minute corner. Early goals are dangerous though, and Chester look dangerous too. Butra going off injured hasn’t helped.

A 1-1 draw, when terrible defending allowed Daryl Clare to score we were suddenly up against it, going back to our lathergic ‘come bloody on-ness’ we did all we could to defend, and Chester probably could have won it. We looked terrible, and there was no one to bring on to improve things. I need some new players, and quick!

One, or two, good things is that Butra and Breslan, both injured in the game, won’t be out long term, not even enough to affect our next game.

Scott Howie has gone to St Johnstone for £1k. Its not getting a fee, its getting rid of his wages.

Halifax away, and we could do with a nice win tonight. McEwen starts up front with Butra.

Half time joyfully we’re 2-0 up thanks to McEwen’s header and Rioch’s penalty. Must not throw this away…must not throw this away…

And 2-0 it finished, we had enough chances to win a thousand games, not really good enough, I was ripping what was left of my hair out by the end… I’ve run out of finger nail…

Big news, Cherno Samba, a striker of great quality, has joined us on loan from Millwall for the rest of the season. Hopefully he will not cease to bang in goal after match winning goal. I’ve been after him for ages, trouble is, I think it might be too late, we’re already out of the title race really. Well, its about 15 points, that’s a hell of a lead, and Kevin Keegan don’t manage Barnet.

Scott Mitchell has joined us on a season’s loan from Ipswich. Basically he’s here because he can play pretty much everywhere, he just adds some depth.

A nice little trip to Chesham today to take on their mighty 11 in the 3rd round of the F.A trophy. Chris O’Brien, who reported being tired is dropped for John McMenemy. Sean Riordan is out to give Paul Challinor a chance to impress, plus Bevan being given his debut and although the rest of the team is unchanged, once we’re (hopefully) a few goals up people like Butra will come off to save their little legs. Samba and Mitchell are on the bench.

Half time and we’re 2-0 up thanks to McEwen and a debut goal from McMenemy. We should have had more and we’re ripping them apart. Butra especially is on fire, as you would expect.

It finished 4-1 to us, they got one back just after the break, but Challinor scored from (yes!) a corner, then, after missing two easy chances, Samba converted the hardest to give us a very commendable score line. I enjoyed today, we played well, if only we could play teams like this every week. Challinor will start next game, he looked like the Challinor I’ve bought for many a team… wonder why I didn’t play him before…

Halifax at home are our next opponents on the F.A trophy ladder.

Also, all the other teams in the conference played tonight, we’re only 21 points behind the leaders!

Big game today, home to Stevenage, who are a point ahead of us in the league, it’s a must win one really. Hopefully a big crowd, a good win and everything rosy. How much do you bet it won’t turn out like that? The team has a more familiar look to it, Kelly back in goal, and Samba is up front with Butra. Got to go for a win, must win, this will give us a lift, but you know what we’re like…

1-0 up at half time, Paul Challinor heading in from, I cannot believe this, a corner of all things just before the break!

If finished a wonderfully worked massacre, just after the break Samba latched onto a pass from Challinor (who was deservedly man of the match) to fire home, then he expertly set up Butra to fire home. A good performance, during which we played excellently, I was unhappy however that we gave their keeper a chance with some shots (like a 1 on 1 on the edge of the 6 yard box) that should have easily been buried.

This should only be a set up, we have second placed Dagenham at home Wednesday night, if we can win that as well…

Dagenham at home, and a win would go a long way towards capturing the 2nd place I have now set my sights on. The title has gone off through the roof, personally, (snooty accents please) I didn’t think Barnet were that good….

The side is unchanged, which is good, and after a slightly disappointing crowd on Saturday, I’m hoping for a good one tonight.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Rioch ran 50 yards to get onto a Samba cross to head home. Samba has been very disappointing, he has literally missed a open goal, the ball was palmed to him from a long shot, 4 yards out, open goal, and missed….

Things were getting a little jittery towards the end as we held our one nil lead, then Butra scored in extra time, 2-0 to the blues! A excellent result that sees us 3 points of second spot, and only 19 off the top! These were two games we desperately needed to win, and usually we’d shoot ourselves in the foot, but not this time! What other important fixture will we have to lose to counterbalance these two?

Accrington away, they’re near the bottom, but will no doubt be eager to put memories of the 8-0 behind them. Same team.

Half time, its 1-1, but we should be out of sight. Butra has scored, and missed 3 goal-den chances, and Rioch has missed a bloody penalty. Crap!

What a game, the way we defended I’m surprised we’ve won, in fact against any other team, we wouldn’t have won! We scored just after half time, Cherno Samba heading in, but they equalized again. I was quite worried (understatement of the year) but we did score again, with 10 minutes to go Butra, provided with a empty net, managed to score his 15th of the season. Accrington weren’t going to give up, but we ended it on the break, Samba crossed, and Breslan fired home. It was a good job they were so crap at the back because we missed so many chances, 6 yards out, keeper to beat, and you put it over the bar, how do you manage that! It would be harder to miss! However, we’re up to second, and playing ok currently, we have to keep it going!

Leigh RMI at home tonight, and I want 3 points and hopefully a big crowd. This might be Jamie Tolley’s last game for us, big bids I can’t really say no to are coming in. What that might do to the club on the pitch however is as yet unknown. No changes to the blue and amber boys.

It took us 2 minutes against the bottom of the league’ers to score, Butra with goal of the month/season a 30 yard screamer that gave the keeper no chance. Also on the plus side, our left back has headed in his 8th goal of the season after a O’Brien cross! On the othr hand, my worst fears have been realized, Richard Smith has gone off injured! Please not a long one….

A 2-1 win, guilty of missing millions of chances, Butra twice one on one (I’m going to kill him!) let them get one, but we were always in control. Played Mark Hicks wide on the right for the last bit, class player out there! Which I always knew, but had never tried….

Terrible news, Richard Smith will be out for 2 months! 2 months! He has been the difference between some points and none, single handedly he’s organized us at times, and losing him will be a colossal blow, really it will. Just as we’re on a good run, just as things are starting to go ok, things like this have to happen.

Things have got worse, Damien Maher is ruled out for 3 weeks with some injury or other, we have problems, our small squad is just about to be exploited.

a 3:00 kick off forHalifax at home in the F.A Trophy, I want to win, it can only help us. Hyson and Riordan replace the two injured lads. The F.A Trophy isn’t that amazing I admit, but, if you’re in it, you might as well win it, and its big money as well if we win it, I’ll be chuffed. Got to win this game, then a few more, before we say that though.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 up, Chris O’Brien’s 5th strike of the season giving us that distinction. Need a another one really, I think we’ll be ok though.

And moments after writing that, we got it, Samba firing home just after the break. A good win, we should have had more but it was terrible conditions, and the pitch was awful, so it was ok. Money rolled in, that’s the main thing. One terrible thing is that Laurie is out for 2 weeks, that’s 3 of my first choice defense injured! If Challinor goes too, we’ve had it!

Well ain’t that nice, I’m manager of the month, and Samba’s player of the month, hope the curse doesn’t come with it.

Tamworth away, and I think we should get 3 points here, despite our buggered defense. Same team as against Halifax.

Half time, 0-0, but we’re not playing very well, our passing is absolutely terrible.

An incredibly boring game finished 0-0, disappointing as we had 5 shots on goal, they had nil. Not much else to say, so I’ll repeat the score….0-0…

Hereford at home, a big derby game we’re looking to win. They’re 3rd to bottom, and pasting them will be a big boost for us, and curtains for them. No changes.

Half time, we’re 1-0 up, Samba heading in, but we’ve had 11 chances on goal, and missed the lot, we’re going to pay for this…

No we’re not! The final score was incredible, 6-0! McEwen, who I have been very impressed with recently, scored just after the break, then Samba got 2 more for a superb hattrick, that was 4, but another of our loan players was about to have his say, Scottie Mitchell, playing at right wing back, twice headed in for one of our best performances of the season. Pleasing was that 3 of our goals came from corners, and we played some excellent football. On the down side, we had 23, yes 23, chances on goal, and should have had more goals really. Very pleased though!

We have drawn Runcorn away in the F.A Trophy. That should (should!) be a passport to the next round.

Also, big transfer news; in form midfielder Jamie Tolley has gone to Cheltenham Town for a un-refusable £85k. This does leave a big hole, I admit, but I couldn’t refuse such money, and we have Gibson and Stringfellow to come in. Tolley is a class player, he has great ability and should really go to a bigger club than Cheltenham, but, that’s that.

Some fabulous players coming in, I’ve signed several 14/15 year olds who will be pushing for 1st team places next season, they’re ability is frightening.

Exeter away, a tough game, but one I think we can win. Stringfellow comes in for Tolley, and Laurie is fit, but doesn’t displace Mitchell.

Half time, its 1-1, but it shouldn’t be. No, we should be about 5-0 down! They scored and then dominated the game, but a fabulous run from Butra got us a undeserved equalizer. Not that I’m complaining.

Incredibly, wonderfully, we’ve won 2-1! Hyson headed in from a corner just after the break to give us a lucky 3 points. Not a good game, and not one we deserved 3 points from, but hey, we’ve got them. Where will we have to pay? Disappointed looking at the league, we’ve drawn 12 games, if we’d won 8 of those, we’d be in contention for the title.

Runcorn away, and two young players, 15 year old Ian Hodson, and 14 year old Paul Campbell are both on the bench. The only changes are Maher in for Riordan, Laurie in for Mitchell, to get them back atoned, and Gibson is in for Stringfellow. We should win here, and that is the ask, definitely.

Half time, and we’re a easy 3-0 up. Samba got two, one from, believe it or not, a corner, and Breslan tapping in a wonderful cross by O’Brien. O’Brien sets up so many goals its unbelievable. Both the youngsters are going to have to come on at half time because of injuries to Gibson and Samba. Hodson is a midfielder and Campbell a striker.

It finished 4-0, Maher heading in from yet another corner! Campbell caused them immense trouble and should have scored, and Hodson looked neat. The future of this club is bright.

Or not, Campbell has been ruled out for 3 months with a nasty leg injury, disappointing for the lad, I was looking forward to him banging goal after goal away for the U19’s. The result we needed, keeps the run going, and we’re into the next round!

Northwich at home today, the day that our opponents for the 6th round of the F.A Trophy are announced. We have Margate at home. Gibson (injured) is out for Stringfellow, which is the only change. The two young lads are off the bench, to be replaced by their more esteemed elders. I wouldn’t put money on the outcome of a U19/1st Team head to head though…

Half time, its 0-0, we’ve had the better, but really need to get the ball in the net!

A 2-0 win, goals from Butra, then Samba after wonderful play from sub McEwen, twisting and turning in superb controlled style, gave us a good win, and puts us only 10 points behind now! If only we had won a few of those drawn games, like when Telford equalized in the last minute, oh if only….

Unfortunately, Butra will be out for a week, which is disappointing.

Farnborough away this Saturday, and I want 3 points here really. McEwen comes in for Butra. Rioch is injured, so Laurie goes to left back, and Mitchell to right back.

We’re 2 up inside 90 seconds, Scottie Mitchell and McEwen benefiting from fabulous moves to score. We must not throw this away, I know how we are, this is one we could easily cock up.

We haven’t a great professional performance sees us win 2-0. We were under the cosh, but never really let them get into us. A good performance, one we can be proud of, Barnet only drew, 8 points in it now…we have to keep going, we can’t slip up, it’s the big one V Telford next week, have to keep going…

This is the big one, Telford United at the Gay Meadow. Win, and we’ll be acclaimed, we’ll continue our run, and we’ll have had 4 points off Telford. Lose, and Telford will escape with our pride, they’ll end 21 games unbeaten…there’s only one option.

I have a new player to select, should I desire to, Roy O’Donovan is a 19 year old attacking midfielder released by Coventry. He signs a 1 year deal.

Rioch is back at left back, Laurie his opposite number on the right. Butra is back in for the unlucky McEwen. Dave has played excellently, and he’s a excellent, clever, quick thinking player, but Butra is our top scorer, and lends us so much, he wins it, just.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 up Breslan’s 5th of the season putting us ahead on 30 minutes. Bad news though, is that both O’Brien and Gibson have gone off injured, that’s upset us and we’re not playing as well as we have recently.

Yes! 1-0 it finished! Shropshire Pride is ours! A scrappy game, as all Telford’s are, which didn’t allow for many chances, and made it a midfield battle, where I think Mitchell, Hicks and Breslan just about prevailed.

Barnet won with a last minute goal, there’s 8 games left, I think we need to not lose, and win about 6 of them at least. It’ll all come down to Barnet away, second to last game of the season.

It’s the F.A Trophy again, and Margate at home. No doubt, I want to win, and I field a side with only one change, the tired Chris O’Brien rested, O’Donovan replaces him for his debut.

1-0 up at the break, Breslan with the strike early on. We’re on top, but have to get more goals, that’s important as Margate are useful. O’Donovan should have scored with a excellent chance.

And boy did we get it! Breslan made his point, and slamming the ball unstoppably home from 25 yards basically got us the points. O’Donovan made his debut perfect by heading home a Gibson corner, then Breslan again, picked up the ball, swiveled off his man, and from 30 yards out cracked a shot that raced into the bottom corner, to give Breslan a hattrick, and enforce the fact that, yes, he is on form! Butra finished the rout with a sweetly struck volley, which lodged perfectly into the bottom corner. A great performance, but to be honest, I don’t think Margate were that interested, we used it as a chance to play some excellent football, and score plenty of goals. Dispite this, I was impressed with their young centre back, Sam Sodje, he tackled well, battled hard, but eventually Butra was too much for him. That’s the thing about Butra, his mission in life is to be a all-round bloody nuisance to defenders, and he does it very well!

A big game tonight, 5th placed Scarborough away, and I want to win (of course), but we’ll have to see. ‘Boro are a tough act. O’Brien is back in midfield of course. O’Donovan is on the bench.

Half time, and things are and are not going to plan. Firstly, the bad, Cherno Samba has been sent off, for pushing, grrr, why can’t you fine loan players. Also, we’ve missed about 4 chances my granny could have put away, but on the other hand we are 1-0 up, Butra scoring his 20th of the season. Got to hold onto this.

A 1-1 draw, they equalized just after the break, a scrappy, undeserved goal, we didn’t clear a ball bouncing around our 6 yard box, and their lad rolled it home. After that it was all the home side, but we held on. Serves to say their keeper got man of the match, we should have had the game wrapped up in the first half, but with 10 men I’m happy with a point. We’re 7 points behind, but it could be 5, this is where (and why) we’re not really challenging for the title.

Lloyd Grist, a good young full back has gone to Plymouth for 10k.

Margate at home, and a repeat of the cup game would be very welcome. We’ll have to do it without Samba, who is suspended, and he’s replaced by McEwen. Apart from that it’s the same team.

Half time, and we’re 2-0 up, the 9th and 10th goals from Gregor Rioch, our left back! We’re cutting them apart, and must make sure we continue to do so.

Well would you Adam and Eve it! We have replicated our cup form! Just as I thought we were going to play out a 2-0 win, sub Tony Smith set up Butra for a great finish, then Butra, jinxing his way down the win returned the favor, and Smith headed home. Still time for Butra, cutting in along the byline he humiliated their shell shocked keeper by firing home from a impossible angle.

We are officially in the play-offs! Half way there, we’ve got to shove them for the title, we must, we can do it, we can!

Kevin Street has left us, and gone to Sheff Wed for a eventual £30k Weakening when we need to be strong maybe, but having just signed O’Donovan, we can’t keep everyone.

We have been dealt a blow by the news that Samba will be suspended for one more game, which means the big one against Chester this weekend.

I’ve won manager of the month, and Gregor Rioch’s screamer against Margate got goal of the month.

Chester at home, the F.A Trophy Semi Final first leg. We need to win, and by a big margin, no two ways about it. We are massively boosted by the return of skipper Smith, which is good, but in his absence the defense has been brilliant, its needs to be today. I think we can do it, but Chester are a very good side, we’ll need all the confidence and ability we can call on. Well not all, we need to save some for the next leg. Come on lads, we need to do the business now, now is the time lads, come on, its nearly there!

Half time, 0-0, Chester are frustrating us, and 3 of us have been booked. Must get a goal, Chester are just lurking, causing trouble, must score, and soon.

0-0. A terrible result, at their place, it will be incredibly tough. We never got going, and Chester were typical Chester, they just frustrated, us, they’re not as good a side, they just make themselves hard to break down, pathetic, sides like that shouldn’t bother, if you’re not going to try and win the game, why play?

Burton Away, and we need to win. We’ll have to do so, and for a while, without Chris O’Brien, he’s broken his collar bone, and is out for a month. O’Donovan comes in. Changes also up front, Butra is one yellow away from a ban, so McEwen and Samba start, Butra on the bench.

1-0 up at half time, a own goal from their centre half putting us, if it stays this way, within 4 points of Barnet.

3-0 The final score, Samba latching onto two perfectly judged McEwen passes to fire home, a good morale booster, and a good pro performance, get the points and get out. Recreate this on Saturday, and I’ll be chuffed. Blasted Maher got injured today, he’ll be out for Chester.

Well, to do or die today, Chester city in the return leg. Win this, and I’ll be more than pleased, but it’s a big ask, they’re a tough nut to crack. Hyson in for Maher, and Butra is back.

Half time, its 0-0, and we should be ahead, but we’re not…and that’s bad, because Chester will just nick it, I can see the script written.

Full time, and its going into the extra period. We’re on 10 men, and up against it, Cherno bloody Samba sent off for dissent. They’re lad, who was booked, hauled Butra down when one on one is still on the pitch! We’ve had 9 shots on goal, they’ve had one, guess who’ll win?

And they have, 1-0, a tap in, only their second shot on target, we had 11, their keeper got man of the match, I hate Chester! They’re just annoying, always getting in the way of teams that try to play properly, a jammy goal, a jammy game, sod them. Bunch of talentless monoliths. We deserved to win, 25 games unbeaten comes to a end, and we didn’t deserve it, Samba will be hammered, with him we would have taken it all the way.

Forest green Rovers at home tonight, and I want a nice win to take away the Chester blues. McEwen in for Samba, and Maher returns, so Hyson goes to the bench.

Forest Green came here trying to attack and have paid the price, they’re 2-0 down. Butra got the first, a great strike from 25 yards which flew like a bullet into the bottom corner, then Butra crossed for the classy McEwen to head in. I’ve grown to like McEwen, he hasn’t played many games before he came to us, but the ones he did were for Spurs and Q.P.R. Which does show his ability, he has a good touch and always seems to have space. Yes, a good player.

At full time, as the fans filed out in the rain, we had made it 3-0, Challinor headed in from a corner. Barnet got hammered at Dagenham, there is a mere point in it. We have to time it right, 4 games to go, we have to win them.

Gravesend away, and we need to win. Samba is back on the bench. A good pro performance needed, get in, get the points, get out.

Half time, and we’re 1-0 down, and we’re not showing the necessary drive and desire. We seem to think we can just stroll up and beat these teams, well Gravesend are battling, and we need to start fighting them.

A 1-1 draw, and a top draw goal from McEwen got us the points. Not good enough, Barnet won, the gap is 3 points again. We were out fought today, but still had the chances, Butra’s finishing is absolutely crap, he scores wonder goals, but when he’s one on one with the net gaping, he misses. And he did so today, with seconds left, he missed, that could cost us so much. I want this title, if we only get in the play offs we’ll be so exhausted, mentally as much as physically, from charging for the title, we won’t win, we have to take the title, we have to! But look at the table, and you can see why we’re struggling, 14 draws. Draws at Tamworth, Forest green, there are so many times we’ve not won games when we should have, and that is down to not having a striker that can just hit the target with every chance. Butra is flashy, McEwen creates chances, Samba is strong, but you wouldn’t put your house on any one of them to score 9 times out of 10 one on ones. Now its 3 wins or broke really, we, unless they lose 2 of their games and draw with us, have to beat Barnet at Barnet.

We’re at home to Woking, and guess what, we need a win. We’re a unchanged side.

Gregor Rioch missed his 4th minute penalty, but turned in the rebound. Butra missed his one on one shot, but McEwen fired home moments later. So there you are, 2-0, Barnet are winning, that Gravesend result will finish us, that’s given Barnet such a boost, they’re going to do it.

Two nil it finished, we did what we had to do. Barnet won 5-1. Says it all, they’re coming in to form, we had to win at Gravesend.

Well, this is it, the biggest game of the season. We have to win today at Barnet, and believe me, I know how tough it will be. We simply have to win, things have to go right, we just have to. Two games to go, we need to win them both, no two ways about it. We’ve beaten them before, and now we’ve got to again, it was us that beat them, and sent them on the slippery slide that has let us catch them up, now we have to screw the final nail into their coffin, we simply have to! We’re the form team, although winning 5-1 away can’t have hampered their confidence. We cannot afford for Butra to miss easy chances, we can’t afford to have crap set pieces, we can’t afford to give the ball away, miss headers, make mistakes, get dragged out of position, miss penalties, not take chances, take risks, we just, by hook or by crook, have to win, we have to win! The side is the same, I would like to have Chris O’Brien, but we haven’t. Half time, its 0-0, we’ve pummeled them, everyone is on edge….must score….

We’ve done it! We’ve won! Yessss! With half and hour to go, Challinor headed in a corner, then they went for it, they attacked and attacked and attacked, but where, in the first half, we charged forward and didn’t get anywhere, they cut us apart with precision. Somehow though, they couldn’t actually score, and we, with 11 behind the ball, eventually held on. Big time Barnet’s 21 point lead completely destroyed, us in top spot (on goal difference), and now we have to win the title, we must not let them have the satisfaction, we must take the title, we must!

Well, this is it, Morecambe at home, we have to win, our is in our hands, we just have to for fill our half of the bargin. I put the same side out, and hope they do the business, and hope whatever team Chester play beats Barnet. What more to say, know any good prayers?

Half time, its 0-0, we just can’t score, we’ve hit the post twice, Barnet are winning, we have to score, we have to!

Butra doesn’t have much in common with Roberto Carlos. He’s not left footed, he doesn’t have thunder thighs, and he doesn’t play for Real Madrid. He does however, have one similarity, no matter who I pick, he takes all the free kicks, and, unlike Roberto Carlos, he’s crap at them, today though, he got it right. On 70 minutes, with me tearing my hair out, he stepped up, and from 30 yards, curled a wonderful strike into the bottom corner, fitting he should score the goal. 5 minutes later, one of my favorites, Paul Challinor cannoned a volleyed shot high into the net to send Gay Meadow into raptures. YESSSSSSSSS! CHAMPIONS! We’ve done it, we’ve demolished, that 21 point lead, Barnet, who drew 2-2 with Chester, are humbled, we are up, we are back in the league, and I have what I wanted! Really we should have had the F.A trophy to boot, but never mind. I am chuffed, elated, over the moon!

Here then, is our record; Played 42, Won 26, Drawn 14, Lost 2, Scored 79, Conceded 18, GD +61, 91 points. Our top 5 players for appearances, were Gavin Kelly at 51 (100% record), Butra 50, Laurie 47, Maher 46. Goals, Butra 24, Samba 12, Rioch and Smith 11, Breslan 7. Assists, O’Brien 19, Butra 13, Rioch and Samba 8, and Gibson and Laurie 7. Top for average rating was Butra at 7:98, then O’Brien at 7:30, then Laurie, 7:21. Worst for discipline was Laurie with 12 yellows and no reds. As far as the league goes, Butra was 4th top scorer, and headed the average rating charts. Kelly was top of appearances, being one of only 4 players to play in every game. Gregor Rioch was top of penalties, and O’Brien of assists. Butra was also top of man of the match awards. One thing I was very pleased with was the top 6 players in the pass completion list were ours, and 3 of them were midfield players. Laurie and Rioch were top of tackles per game, and Butra (not surprisingly) topped the dribbles per game list. The team came second in the average attendance, with a disappointing 2700 or so. We easily won the ‘games without losing’ thing, with our 37!!!!(league) game unbeaten run giving us both that award and the title. We scored the 3rd most goals, and let in the least, with only 18 we were 22 ahead of Dagenham, who conceded 40! We were top of penalties with 9, and, amazingly, because I criticized them a lot, top of ‘goals from corners’, with 17! Blow me down!

Barnet, probably injured by losing the title (hahahHAHAHHA) whipped Scarborough

6-0 in the play of semi first leg.

Dagenham won the play off final, and join us in the 3rd Division. ‘Lets all laugh at Barnet, lets all laugh at Barnet…da a da da, da da da da’ ahem…

Apparently the fans were outside the ground and in the streets as we paraded the Conference Trophy around Shrewsbury today, I’m chuffed, I can really start work now, getting out of the conference was the minimum requirement last season. I’ve also been named manager of the year, and I think its deserved, to inspire ( I think) the side to whittle away another clubs 21 point lead is a hell of an achievement. I’ve also got manager of the month. Goal of the season has been announced, Gregor Rioch, for his effort against Margate, gets the top award, then an Exeter lad’s strike against us, then Butra against Forest Green not s

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cosford:

a lot here i know, sorry people, just passing and thought i'd just stick it on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grr you could break it up a bit icon_wink.gif

Archived