The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Haha I love days like this, everything just sublime. We were awesome, nothing short of it, there were some dodgy Citeh moments but on the whole, ridiculously good.

First goal, Richards should get tighter to Essien, he's a better defender than Essien is attacker and should've seen Essien wasn't coming inside. He didn't, and left him enough space to shoot. Second, Lampard played a quite exquisite through ball, easy for Didi. Third was horrible defending, there's a clear rebound and Citeh's defenders just stand around and let Didi pounce. Four, just some great midfield interplay and Cole's pace got him in. Five, another slide rule pass and the defence was caught too high, and six very similar, another glorious through ball. Way too much space between the Citeh defenders.

Cech made one superb stop, Ferreira was brilliant again (madness), Belletti was his supreme self. Mikel ran the show, Lampard had his best game in months, Joey was everywhere, Drogba was clinical. Kalou was rubbish but got a goal. Yay.

I'm so happy all the never-heard-of-Grant-but-already-declaring-he's-a-mindless-manager are in a need of a hat.

He's Israeli teams have almost always played some beautiful attractive attacking football.

It's true in the Israeli nantional team his tactics were largely anti-football, but I'm guessing it had to do with the squad of players he had in comparison to Europe's big guns.

In Chelsea he has a hell of a squad, so I'm guessing you're in for some great football displays in the future.

Originally posted by Philip Rolfe:

Haha I love days like this, everything just sublime. We were awesome, nothing short of it, there were some dodgy Citeh moments but on the whole, ridiculously good.

First goal, Richards should get tighter to Essien, he's a better defender than Essien is attacker and should've seen Essien wasn't coming inside. He didn't, and left him enough space to shoot. Second, Lampard played a quite exquisite through ball, easy for Didi. Third was horrible defending, there's a clear rebound and Citeh's defenders just stand around and let Didi pounce. Four, just some great midfield interplay and Cole's pace got him in. Five, another slide rule pass and the defence was caught too high, and six very similar, another glorious through ball. Way too much space between the Citeh defenders.

Cech made one superb stop, Ferreira was brilliant again (madness), Belletti was his supreme self. Mikel ran the show, Lampard had his best game in months, Joey was everywhere, Drogba was clinical. Kalou was rubbish but got a goal. Yay.

What was this Lampard flick cross thing they were talking about on the radio. They said if Ronaldinho did it we'd be seeing it forever, was it that good?

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Got hold of Elano early by any chance?

Not a shocking result against Chelsea's relatively injury free side tbh.

Do we get the smug version of you until someone else is top of the premiership? Because it's boring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we get the hyper sensitive version of you until Chelsea are top?

That was me crediting Chelsea fwiw.

• Administrators
What was this Lampard flick cross thing they were talking about on the radio. They said if Ronaldinho did it we'd be seeing it forever, was it that good?

Received a short pass from PF and did one of these without taking a touch, lobbed it into Kalou's path, he'd made a run into the box, 10-15 yard ball inch perfect.

Awful link, but one of those skills that's so hard to describe.

I'm not having a go now fo you smug bastard icon_biggrin.gif

Not fit, got Ballack to slot in there yet \o/

Now we're on common ground, you know i don't have a bad word to say about Ballack. The best kind of bastard, although when Lampard is Chelsea Lampard, where do you put Ballack?

Although Lampard has been playing deeper than usual from what I've seen so far this season. Mourinho couldn't fit them in together because of his defensive solidarity demands, meaning he wanted a Makelele style player, or someone close to it in the side. Maybe Avram will just be happy with Essien bossing the entirety of the midfield to give Ballack and Lampard somewhat more of a free reign than they both had under Mourinho. All I know is that Lampard is in great form at the moment (fcuk England) and if we get a working midfield containing Lampard, Ballack and Essien it would be a thing of beauty.

Just watching the re-run on Football first (have been at work and +'d it), and keep wanting to comment on stuff!!!

Lampard's passing today great. Hope he never plays for England again!!!

Mike Riley a buffoon. Johnson should've walked and should've had a penner.

Still. 6-0 ain't bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

"If Ronaldinho had done what Lampard had just done we'd be seeing it forever"

icon_cool.gif

Wasn't even shown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anybody got a youtube about this?

Why is everybody saying "Players got more freedom with Grant, they atack more. they score more goals".

Do you saw Chelsea this season from the start?They were playing amazing football.

Chelsea- Schalke wasn'rt a good game by the way.

Grant is just using whatever Mourinho did with the plus of not having to play shev.

In January will be Grant tactics and then we will see....

• Administrators
Originally posted by Walrus:

Oh and who's going to Wigan?

Me.

Leicester tomorrow night, hoping for some unexpected youngsters to get a game, but pretty much expecting this team.

Carlo

Belletti

Carvalho

Ben Haim

Bridge

Sidwell

Lampard

SWP

Sinclair

Pizarro

Shevchenko

Hutchinson probably on the bench, would like to see him get a start though, and Miro Stoch as an outsider for ten mins at the end, after his admission that he was in contention to play Hull, and we're at home this time.

Chelsea: Cudicini, Belletti, Alex, Ben-Haim (Essien 80), Ferreira (Malouda 52), Wright-Phillips, Sidwell, Lampard, Sinclair (Kalou 78), Shevchenko, Pizarro.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Obi.

Booked: Sidwell, Ben-Haim.

Goals: Lampard 20, 29, Shevchenko 87, Lampard 90.

was the team btw.

• Administrators

Gahaha what an absolutely mad night from start to end. Got off the bus and two blokes who'd never been to football before but were going tonight for the first time asked me where the ground was, and as I was going there I couldn't exactly shake them off, so we ambled to the ground, and walked into an almighty melee of police dogs, fighting, arrests, all sorts. For Leicester ffs.

Then the game. Stupid slack defending for the opener, then two Scotty assists for two Lampard goals and you think the game is in the bag. And it should've been, we just took our foot off the gas and slacked. No idea how DJ Campbell can win a header in our defence, and then the free kick for Cort's goal, HORRIFIC defending. But you knew we'd get a goal, and what a goal from Shevchenko. Magical finish.

Then the winner, I can't stop laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. Pizarro should come out with the ball from the touchline but tries to chip it back at goal, Fulop thinks it's over, it lands on the bar and comes back into play, Lampard steams in with a header that's cleared off the line but looked over, then Sidwell has all the time in the world to smack it at a gaping net and scuffs it, then Sheva bundles it in, but the lino had already given the Lampard goal I think. Kinda lost who was involved in it all.

Then on the way out I bumped into those two lads from the bus. Mad.

Not to slag off Leicester's effort or anything, and this is the way it should be really, we were the better team for the most part but we defended pathetically and Leicester took basically every chance they had. Defended alright themselves but were definitely second best in most parts of the pitch.

Yeah radio said we were second best quality-wise all night.

10 minutes from breaking that record lol.

But it wasn't supposed to be, I'm thinking we should have saved those goals for our league games as well. Probably go a month without scoring now.

Archived