The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Steven Clarke does calm me a bit. He's been at the club forever, knows everyone. Would make no sense to just hand control over to Grant. Still can't shake the ridiculous feeling of dread I have.

Was talking to my dad about this at 3am last night (even Forest fans are now Chelsea obsessed you see) and we both wondered what would happen to Clarke. Think it's absolutely vital for the players that he keeps a major role, although as you say, how happy the likes of Terry are going to be with the new fella remains to be see.

I don't mean to cause further fury in here, but i'm seriously curious about Chelsea fans' feeling towards Abramovich after this? He has brought (bought) a lot of success for the club, but all of his back room dealings and going over the manager's head (Ballack, Sheva, Grant, Arnesen, not getting a CD back in January, etc.) must not be great for the short or long term stability of the club?

I personally will miss the edge Mourinho brought to the PL. A great manager with an admirable grasp of tactics and motivational skills.

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Steven Clarke does calm me a bit. He's been at the club forever, knows everyone. Would make no sense to just hand control over to Grant. Still can't shake the ridiculous feeling of dread I have.

Was talking to my dad about this at 3am last night (even Forest fans are now Chelsea obsessed you see) and we both wondered what would happen to Clarke. Think it's absolutely vital for the players that he keeps a major role, although as you say, how happy the likes of Terry are going to be with the new fella remains to be see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed entirely. Not for the newer players, but for the likes of John Terry, Lampard, and even down to the youth setup, having someone like Clarke who's been there forever just gives of an impression of some stability, even if there is none there. I don't buy all this crap about Grant being Roman's puppet either tbh. He's now got a chance to prove himself and if I were him I'd be grabbing that with two hands rather than pandering to Abramovic's every need.

Really cant believe Mourinho has gone, thought when uncle told me he was having a laugh. When it sunk in i thought ok, at the very least we can bring in a top manager who can hopefully keep us at the top.......then i hear they appoint AVRAM GRANT?!!!?!?!? Previous experience at Israeli clubs, has done absolutely nothing but gets handed the Chelsea job.

To me it sounds like a conspiracy which started when Grant was brought in, for me there was absolutely no need to have him. Then Abramhovic seemed to be waiting for a couple of bad results so that he could get rid of him and make it look like it was the results. At the very least he could have waited a week or so but appointing Grant just a few hours after Jose leaves seems a bit suspicious to me.

Really really not happy at all.

As usual I'll get slated for saying it, but I'm not in the least bit upset José left. He was entertaining in interviews (but then, so was Ranieri) but the football was lousy and he had been on a downward slope ever since halfway through his second season when everyone worked out his tactics. Avram Grant is a dismal appointment, even short term, as I very much doubt his clashing with Mourinho will have done him any favours in winning over the squad. Wonderful that Steve Clarke is being retained, though one wonders for how long, but if we start playing the football a £200m team should be playing, I for one shan't complain.

Why would Sheva be out Jvo? Avram Grant was brought in solely to increase Sheva's happiness and productivity tbh.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but...

Copy/pasted my post from another forum

Despite all my love for Sheva - this could turn out to be the end of his career at SB. The truth is - he didn't perform as expected (despite 14 goals and 11 assists last season). And with Mourinho gone it could get worse.

Reasoning:

1. If he truly will be always playing under Grant due to the reported "bias" the club owner has for him - he can be seen as a "favourite" which won't sit well with the rest of the squad

2. The likes of Drogba, Lampard, Essien, etc obviously held Jose in very high esteem. And there is a possibility they will hold Sheva at least partially responsible for Jose leaving, as his "forced" buy unsettled the relationship between RA and TSO even more than it was before him coming to Chelsea.

If any of those 2 happen - goodbye passes, goodbye teamwork, etc. He will be starved of service and forced out of the club by his own teammates.

Really feel sorry for the man - the RA - TSO conflict really wasn't his fault

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

I don't mean to cause further fury in here, but i'm seriously curious about Chelsea fans' feeling towards Abramovich after this? He has brought (bought) a lot of success for the club, but all of his back room dealings and going over the manager's head (Ballack, Sheva, Grant, Arnesen, not getting a CD back in January, etc.) must not be great for the short or long term stability of the club?

I personally will miss the edge Mourinho brought to the PL. A great manager with an admirable grasp of tactics and motivational skills.

Near the bottom of the last page. Don't know if any Chelsea fans wants to answer? I'm genuinely curious about the question in the first paragraph.

I ignored that and will continue to do so due to you opening with not wanting to cause fury and then 2 seconds later talk about us buying the title. I assumed the rest of the post continued in a similar not-worth-my-time manner.

I think that's rubbish tbh Jvovk. They're professional players. They firstly won't hold a grudge against Sheva, even if they do think he forced Jose out, and secondly, to think that they'd refuse to pass to a team mate in any situation is ludicrous. He's been very much a team player up until now and I see no reason for that to change.

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

I don't agree with the way Abramovich treats his staff when he wants rid of them and Kenyon is still king of the c***s, but I fully concur with his expectations that we play beautiful football. I watch sport to be entertained and Mourinho's win-at-all-costs ideology was everything I despise about modern football. Abramovich could have been a little more diplomatic in the way he dealt with his displeasure, but I don't harbour any ill-feeling towards him. For the millions he's spent, he deserves to watch some real football being played and at £47 a ticket, so do the fans. In any case, the Man Utd game is going to be very interesting.

I ignored that and will continue to do so due to you opening with not wanting to cause fury and then 2 seconds later talk about us buying the title. I assumed the rest of the post continued in a similar not-worth-my-time manner.

hardly the most outlandish claim in the world ffs. and not exactly an insult unless you really want it to be as well.

He was Israeli national coach for a while and did quite well I think, he's also been manager of one of the Tel-Aviv clubs (Maccabi is the one which springs to mind, although I'm not sure). He hasn't really done a lot, but he's blatantly just a placeholder before Guus Hiddink arrives. Hopefully he'll be able to keep the ship steady with Clarke's help.

I think that's rubbish tbh Jvovk. They're professional players. They firstly won't hold a grudge against Sheva, even if they do think he forced Jose out, and secondly, to think that they'd refuse to pass to a team mate in any situation is ludicrous. He's been very much a team player up until now and I see no reason for that to change.

I sincerely hope that's the case. Just have a weird niggling feeling the players, despite being proffesionals, won't react calmly and quietly to the situation that we have at the club right now.

And Grant is hardly the person who'll have the respect from them...

Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

hardly the most outlandish claim in the world ffs. and not exactly an insult unless you really want it to be as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a claim that serves no purpose other than as an attempt to irk Chelsea fans, especially in the manner in which he posted it.

FFS, are you that uptight?

I didn't say he bought the title, but he certainly bought an entire squad and Mourinho, which in turn brought you two PL titles? I would say that in Chelsea's case in the period just before Roman, A is far more dependant upon B than vice versa.

Apart from that, I was genuinely interested in your thoughts on Roman, seeing as he seems to be an integral part of Mourinho resigning. Or do you have a theory that doesn't involve Roman in this?

Originally posted by shanyi:

I don't agree with the way Abramovich treats his staff when he wants rid of them and Kenyon is still king of the c***s, but I fully concur with his expectations that we play beautiful football. I watch sport to be entertained and Mourinho's win-at-all-costs ideology was everything I despise about modern football. Abramovich could have been a little more diplomatic in the way he dealt with his displeasure, but I don't harbour any ill-feeling towards him. For the millions he's spent, he deserves to watch some real football being played and at £47 a ticket, so do the fans. In any case, the Man Utd game is going to be very interesting.

Thanks for a serious reply icon14.gif I can see where you're coming from. I can also see that with their current squad, Chelsea have the potential to play some very entertaining football.

Sorry, Poyple, but you have to be pretty blinkered to read that and think i'm trying to irk Chelsea fans?

Wtf is it with this place? Can't anyone ask a genuine question anymore?

He has brought (bought) a lot of success for the club

Is what you said. It's just a totally unnecessary comment that you posted intending to irritate someone.

btw Abramovic can do one if he's going to turn us into Real Madrid. I'd rather be finishing in Champions League positions and improving every year without Abramovic than having no consistency with staff, a 'galacticos' way of running the club and limited success every year.

There's not a hope in hell that Chelsea would fold if Abramovic left, and so I'd rather he did before he turns us into a laughing stock by sacking the best manager we've ever had. Ironically the exact thing he's apparently trying to prevent.

Success > being able to say that the consolation goal we scored was quite pretty.

Originally posted by Ratinho:

Success > being able to say that the consolation goal we scored was quite pretty.

Sly digs at Arsenal unecessary. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrogance >> Fake Modesty.

Shanyi - You strike me as very much a new football fan who sees football as entertainment like the theatre rather than a passionate, in your blood, love that you can't get rid of. And winning is the best thing rather than playing nice football.

I would rather have Jose and a million 1-0's than fancy football and a maybe we'll win a trophy.

Football is not purely entertainment it is life. And only winners matter in life.

I think he's taken it to the extreme, but I agree with him in some ways. It doesn't matter if you play attractive football if you under achieve. It could be said that only people who are achieving what they're capable of and more matter in life, and I definitely think we were doing that pre-Abramovich.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

'only winners matter in life' strikes me as far more of a 'new fan' type of attitude. i assume you were nowhere to be seen pre-Abramovich then?

Yeah I wasn't a season ticket holder from 1988 to 2000. And I didn't go on away trips when we were in the old 2nd division.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

hardly the most outlandish claim in the world ffs. and not exactly an insult unless you really want it to be as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a claim that serves no purpose other than as an attempt to irk Chelsea fans, especially in the manner in which he posted it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

like i said, only if you want it to be. far easier to just acknowledge that "yes, roman's roubles played a significant part, but it still took an excellent manager to spend the money on the right players, knit those players into a cohesive unit, keep a large squad happy, and be tactically astute enough to see of some very good teams on his way to that silverware" etc etc. rather than just getting in a snit and letting someone ignorant think they were right because of your defensive attitude (not that i agree that the OP was being ignorant or looking to stir up trouble at all).

after all, trying to deny that money has played a significant role in your sudden status would be churlish to say the least.

Letter from the club to fans, not confirming anything we didnt already know tbh.

The Chelsea FC plc board and everyone at the club has appreciated your patience and understanding during what has been a difficult time.

It is only right that we explain the reasons behind José Mourinho leaving Chelsea and also recognise the immense contribution he has made to the club and to English football.

Early this morning we announced that Chelsea and José Mourinho had agreed to part company by mutual consent. The key phrase here is that there was mutual agreement. José did not resign and he was not sacked.

What is clear, though, is we had all reached a point where the relationship between the club and José had broken down. This was despite genuine attempts over several months by all parties to resolve certain differences.

The reason the decision has been taken is that we believed the breakdown started to impact on the performance of the team and recent results supported this view. We did not want this to continue or affect the club further.

Chelsea's long-term football objectives and ambitions remain unchanged and the appointment of Avram Grant and Steve Clarke is aimed at continuing to achieve those goals.

We also must pay tribute to the great job José did for Chelsea. He has been the most successful manager the club has known and he rightly deserves that place in our history. José has been instrumental in putting Chelsea where it is today, among the leading clubs in European and world football.

He will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge, whether as the guest of Chelsea or as the manager of another club, and he will be given the reception and respect his position in our history deserves.

Chelsea Football Club

Archived