The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

imo belletti was affg for the second. young beat him and then he just jogged 40 yards back, rather than trying to make up for his error. ok, it was the 88th minute but it was still his fault.

1st goal was either mikel or drogba. probably drogba.

shame about belletti for the second goal because I felt he had a good game. his crossing was excellent.

also loving how dangerous terry and alex looked from corners. with two real threats, I can see lots of goals from set pieces this season. assuming alex starts a few.

I am not looking forward to our encounter with you what with our inability to defend set peices and you having Alex and Terry playing for you icon_frown.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rule are still worded wrong, or I am just not getting them.

A 'club-trained player' is a player who - irrespective of his nationality and age - has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons

If that's the case then you have your 6 home grown people and sinclair could have been on the A list.

1 CECH, Petr - club

3 COLE, Ashley - assocation

4 MAKELELE, Claude - club

6 CARVALHO, Ricardo - club

8 LAMPARD, Frank - club

9 SIDWELL, Steve - assocation

10 COLE, Joe - club

11 DROGBA, Didier - club

18 BRIDGE, Wayne - club

etc

etc

So I'm not getting something, or everyone is quoting the rules wrongly (but they arn't because that's the direct rule quote from the offical champions league rules)

Under the regulations on player eligibility for the Champions League, no club may have more than 25 players on List A during the season. Six places on List A are reserved for 'locally trained players.

Chelsea have only picked 23 players for List A, meaning that Sinclair and Ballack could have been included.

However, as only 25 players can be put on the list over the course of the whole season, maybe they are saving space for potential January recruits.

There is a strong chance I might have this completely wrong and misunderstood it all.

Originally posted by bridgekings:

Chelsea have only picked 23 players for List A, meaning that Sinclair and Ballack could have been included.

Chelsea only have 23, because they dont have enough club-grown players (just Terry). Number 24 and 25 would have to be one of those, which neither Ballack or Sinclair are, which means they cant be registered.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

of course the club trained rule has this or

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

or of 36 months between the age of 15 and 21.

Which I think the confusion arrises. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Missed this, makes sense now.

Originally posted by Benoit2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridgekings:

Chelsea only have 23, because they dont have enough club-grown players (just Terry). Number 24 and 25 would have to be one of those, which neither Ballack or Sinclair are, which means they cant be registered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That made me smile btw.

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benoit2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridgekings:

Chelsea only have 23, because they dont have enough club-grown players (just Terry). Number 24 and 25 would have to be one of those, which neither Ballack or Sinclair are, which means they cant be registered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That made me smile btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it's wrong if what Francis quoted is directly from the rules, but smile away.

This is the full rule from both the chelsea site and the UEFA rules.

I know what they mean (I think), but I'm sure there should be an extra comma or something before the "between the age of 15 and 21. "

A 'club-trained player' is a player who - irrespective of his nationality and age - has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months between the age of 15 and 21.

It's not defensiveness. We don't have enough club trained players. Mainly because we sold the few that we did have, but also because we haven't produced enough. All will change in time though, that I'm sure of.

By the way, wouldn't Mikel qualify for this because I was under the impression he was on trial for two years at the club when he was younger?

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

I know what they mean (I think), but I'm sure there should be an extra comma or something before the "between the age of 15 and 21. "

A 'club-trained player' is a player who - irrespective of his nationality and age - has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or of 36 months between the age of 15 and 21.

i don't see why a comma is needed there?

not getting the confusion about this in general tbf, it seems reasonably straightforward.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

i don't see why a comma is needed there?

not getting the confusion about this in general tbf, it seems reasonably straightforward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because without the comma the bolded part seems like one section of the rule and the non bolded part seems like a different section.

i suppose there's some ambiguity there. i read it the correct way first off so couldn't really see the problem.

should really change it to "a 'club-trained player' is a player who has spent - between the ages of 15 and 21 - either three entire seasons, or 36 continuous months, with his current club"

Originally posted by Ratinho:

Lampard not trained at West Ham, and Joe Cole? And Cudicini came pre-21?

"irrespective of his nationality and age - has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons"

We all knew what they mean, but the way its written suggests that what you suggested could be their intention.

For example, let's for a second pretend pretend that was (as stupid as that may be) what they meant. Would they not write the rule in xactly the way they have?

If they actually mean 36 months between 15-21 OR 3 years would they not have phrased it exactly like:

?

icon_smile.gif

Archived