The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

Originally posted by orion318:

Diarra for me is a bad deal, we could have let him go but not to a direct rival specially because he's an excellent defensive midfielder, but he had though competition, but still it hurts a bit when you see a good player go to a direct rival.

icon14.gif

Considering the over-inflated transfer market we really should have got £7 million at least - which I very much doubt we would have got from Arsenal.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not happy about letting him go to Arsenal at all, he's gonna be a fantastic player, just no hope at all of breaking into our midfield anytime in the distant future to be fair.

Allowing him to go to Arsenal is baffling, not a fan of direcly improving a rivals squad for potentially years to come, no doubt this is going to come back and slap us at some stage.

Peace offering imo. After exchanging horrible twats between the clubs, Arsene and Jose will ahve talked this out over crumpets.

In all seriousness, we all now how good Diarra could be. However, you guys have Mikel and will probably win the title, and we probably gave you £4m~. We get Diarra. No-one loses here. I know i'm happy with it.

Allowing him to go to Arsenal is baffling, not a fan of direcly improving a rivals squad for potentially years to come, no doubt this is going to come back and slap us at some stage

tbf doesnt he have a year left on his contract of something? Dont think you really had an option.

Horrible news to come back from the pub to tbh. He's a quality player and will be for a long time, if he grows up a bit as well he's going to be amazing.

TBH he'll get sent off against us as he always gets booked and that.

Unless we got about 10 million for him it's not good. And even then - Arsenal. icon_frown.gif

I'm fairly confident that someone else would have taken him at the same price if given the oppurtunity.

Tbf though, negotiations for this have obviously been going on for a while and the best way to look at it I suppose is that is that we're willing to let a player a go, we shouldn't be worrying about where he's gone.

Well, maybe you guys lose a little considering you don't need the money.

Ofcourse we need the money, it's not a charity is it.

gutted about diarra, but it does make sense. expected him to leave in the summer anyway, so cashing in on him is probably the right thing to do. shame he's going to be fffb.

lamps icon_frown.gif

with malouda and swp playing so well and lampard and ballack injured, I wouldn't mind seeing joey slip into midfield along side essien.

btw, malouda is out for the villa game, yeah?

Molouda available dependant on if he trained today as far as I know, don't know if he did or not but was hopefull he would.

I'm looking for Joey to start either way, looked good for England.

No Lamps, still no Ricky, not sure if Alex is fit enough to start yet?

Don't like going to Villa, have not won there since 99.

Tore Andre. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chapman:

Irrelevance ftw. You don't need the money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much to point to that over the last transfer window?

Still, if we go out and spend £100 million next summer I guess it'll prove you right.

The fact you've spent 3-4 times that and Roman would quite like Jose to work with what he's spent it on would prove me right tbh.

I think that, only looking at the last six months, you could make a decent argument we're trying to run a sensible business (I don't care if we do or not btw).

Time will tell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chapman:

Irrelevance ftw. You don't need the money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never knew what ftw stood for?

It's irrelevant to you because you only look at it from a "Roman can just keep pumping more in" point of view.

The aim is to become profitable enough to produce funds that are not coming directly out of Roman's pocket and make a profit as a buisness, so in that respect, we do need the money.

This is the first summer we have spent less that we have recieved in the transfer market since the takeover, can't remember off the top of my head the last time that happened even before Roman came in.

Is Ballack still injured, or is he back, just not getting picked?

I expected better from you today, but it is your bogey team isn't it?

If I were a Chelsea fan I'd have been baffled as to why SWP was taken off. He was a big threat for you, his only problem was end product.

I didn't think Belletti did too bad either.

And I reckon you did miss Lampard a little. He's a genuine goalscoring threat, something you seemed to lack in the midfield area today.

• Administrators

Just got in from the game, more than mildly irritated because for half an hour we were really, really good. Belletti was outstanding for most of the game, in both attacking and defending capacities - people will rightfully point out Young had a good game but he never went past him and he always stood him up, which is what you do against a much, much faster player. Going forward he linked really well and his crossing was excellent. Alex was superb for the most part too, mainly in a sweeping up loose balls manner but he wasn't beaten either.

As I say, first half hour was good, we looked dangerous and likely to score. Needed the deflected Malouda attempt to go in. Just didn't get a break, but with 15 corners we need better delivery - when it's good, JT and Alex are real real threats, but they're woeful by and large. Then we went to sleep a bit and let Villa get control of things, and from then they were largely not fussed.

No AFFG for either goal, Didi was marking Knight but just lost out to a taller man. Our final ball wasn't there, we were arsing around hitting long balls to Didi/Pizarro/Alex/JT without anyone getting in and around them, and that's where Lampard is good tbf. Second goal was inevitable when you have Villa's pace against a back three at that point of Cole-Essien-Belletti.

SWP went off because his touch went to pot, nothing he touched in the second half stuck and he kept losing the ball. Had a fine first half though.

First defeats always raise questions, genuinely don't feel we were bad today, just lost to a better performance on the day, Villa so immensely hard to break down because they have such a mental strength when they want it.

yeah, you werent really that bad, you just couldnt quite find the final ball. When you looked like squeezing something through, someone got a foot it and just kept it safe for us.

All of the big 4 are going to lose games, and they're going to lose them in similar circumstances to today (United at City a couple of weeks back for starters) - its no big deal that you lost today, there's still 33 games left - 5 to play against your top 4 rivals too, so dont go slamming that panic button.

You missed Lampard as well for the reasons Phil gave - everytime there was a loose ball in our defensive third we invariably won it. 75% of Lampard's game is getting those loose balls and shooting or playing someone in. He wasnt there to get onto them, and you've no-one else who does what he does.

Malouda was awful in the second half - cant remember him touching the ball apart from spannering some set pieces.

You'll still win the title.

oh and walrus you tool, why would I change my mind about Ballack playing over Lampard when Ballack hasn't even had a chance to prove me right yet? We did miss Lampard today though.

Really not so sure about Mourinho's choice to start with Makelele today. We didn't need to play overly defensive against them and I think we could have done a lot more playing Joe Cole in the middle just behind Drogba or starting Pizarro instead of Maka.

Originally posted by beffrey:

He went with Maka because Villa are basically a team of thugs.

Oh beffrey.

Surprising Ashley Cole didn't manage to clear the ball for the first goal when he was on the goal-line. Counted as AFFG though?

Originally posted by beffrey:

He went with Maka because Villa are basically a team of thugs.

Good one icon_biggrin.gif

And Juni, Young went by Belleti quite a few times in the first half. He put some decent crosses in, but unfortunately it was only ever Lukey M in the box.

He never got past Beletti. He crossed from before him. Everytime he tried to go past Beletti invited him onto him and then either tackled him and cleared the ball, tackled him and the ball went out for a corner or forced Young out of play for a goal kick. Don't remember Young actually getting past him once.

imo belletti was affg for the second. young beat him and then he just jogged 40 yards back, rather than trying to make up for his error. ok, it was the 88th minute but it was still his fault.

1st goal was either mikel or drogba. probably drogba.

shame about belletti for the second goal because I felt he had a good game. his crossing was excellent.

also loving how dangerous terry and alex looked from corners. with two real threats, I can see lots of goals from set pieces this season. assuming alex starts a few.

Archived