The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belletti is a little underwhelming tbh. And Robben has been confirmed as going for in the region of £21m.

Robben is good business and I'm glad we've not caved in for Alves. £24m for a full back is ridiculous. Would rather struggle with Belletti and Johnson than be ripped off over Alves.

Originally posted by Walrus:

Belletti is a little underwhelming tbh. And Robben has been confirmed as going for in the region of £21m.

Robben is good business and I'm glad we've not caved in for Alves. £24m for a full back is ridiculous. Would rather struggle with Belletti and Johnson than be ripped off over Alves.

Why is money an issue- particularly when you've just gained a load for Robben?

If I were a Chelsea fan I'd have no qualms over forking out £24m for a full-back as good as Alves. Rather that than Belletti surely?

I'm not sure they would accept that for Alves, there was talk in the spanish media last week they wanted something in the £28M range.

Lassana might be the guy leaving..unfortunate cause he's a great defensive midfielder and never had a lot of space cause we have monster options there.

He'll do well where he goes. It's unfortunate to have to let theses guys leave like we did for Tiago too cause you know they'll become important for another big team soon.

Lets try and get a good price for him before the closing of the window.

And we need to give Belleti a chance. No use being on his back from the start. Might turn out to fit right in.

I'm happy at his signing rather than another shedload on a player who might turn out to not work.

When's Alves' contract up btw?

Originally posted by Walrus:

And we need to give Belleti a chance. No use being on his back from the start. Might turn out to fit right in.

I'm happy at his signing rather than another shedload on a player who might turn out to not work.

When's Alves' contract up btw?

Yeah i agree Belleti is very experienced and used to winning so he should fit in well with the group.

And he wasn't expensive at all so it might prove a good deal.

Alves i think still has 4 years left on contract, although he's now mad at the president for rejecting Chelsea.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's right we stand up to clubs trying to rip us off.

and end up getting ****ing Belletti. Listen. £24mil for Alves is a better deal than anything we paid for Belletti. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but the thing is you cant expect the russian to dig in to his own pockets forever.

Might always get him in January or next season, ala Ben Haim.

I think we've doen the right thing now, especially as Real won't go for him now, shows Seville that they can't mess around.

They've been left now with no cash and an unhappy player. He'll go in January.

I like Belletti, but it's going to be obvious to any team now where your weakness is, and if they have the players they'll exploit it.

January could be too late tbh. Balls to the holding to ransom but tbh, Alves would have complimented your team perfectly and money isn't an issue for you guys. Especially with the income from the Robben sale.

Time will tell, and as a neutral I'll enjoy watching Belletti play, but I do wonder if there is not a bit of an error made there.

Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's right we stand up to clubs trying to rip us off.

and end up getting ****ing Belletti. Listen. £24mil for Alves is a better deal than anything we paid for Belletti. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but the thing is you cant expect the russian to dig in to his own pockets forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His own Pockets? We got 24mil for Robben.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Yes but the thing is you cant expect the russian to dig in to his own pockets forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His own Pockets? We got 24mil for Robben. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not as simple as that and you know it.

And aside from all that, the whole reason Sevilla are demanding so much is because of your track record, if Roman and Chelsea want that to stop, then you have to say no to stuff like this.

Still, Belletti is a pretty bad deal... Since Roman sttoped giving actual money (except from Malouda) no really good players have signed...

Mourinho should have tried harder for Ricardo Quaresma (not that it would be easy either).

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Andy can stand under my Umbrella (Ella ella eh eh eh).....

Under my umbrella

(ella ella eh eh eh)

Under my umbrella

(ella ella eh eh eh)

Under my umbrella

(ella ella eh eh eh eh eh eh)

WTF?

No match thread?

line up:

Cech

Essien, JT, TBH, Ash

Mikel

SWP, Lamps, Malouda

DD, Pizarro

bench: Kalou, Joey, Belletti, Alex, Carlo

The fancy football line up from the start..hope it works or else not much we can change in the second half except inject pace with kalou.

Originally posted by Mr Hotspur:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no you ****, it'll be 100 times

Forget about drogba. and start concentrating on FOOLHAM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can see how Tottenham fans are totally in a position to comment.

• Administrators

He did, he made a good block from a corner where our marking went to pot.

Bit of a nothing game today, people will be quick to jump on the 'omg Chelsea back to boring 1-0's bandwagon' but that happens when your opponents are quite useful, and especially at the back they were physically very good too. Drogba worked his ******** off, almost literally after that free kick block, probably my MotM over Ashley Cole, who was again excellent and made the goalline clearance after some absolutely shambolic marking.

Best moments were involving David James, at kickoff he got a proper 'England's number one' chant, but after his mistake he got a mocking one, and then 'you're just like/worse than Robinson', which he took with good humour tbf to him.

Wouldn't call it too lucky but we could have conceded at the end..

That was the only time Pompey looked menacing when they put 4 strikers up front and we had already spent our subs so we couldn't bring Alex in.

MoM for me is Ashley too although Drogba was again superhuman in his performance.

assist for goalicon_biggrin.gifD

Clean Sheet \o/

Didier Drogba easily my man of the match for everything Juni said. Chasing every ball down, and he's so strong ffs. Held off Pompey players with ease, even held off more than one a couple of times. Nice goal from Lamps, even if it was James' fault. Pizarro had a couple of chances, he keeps getting in the positions, won't be long before he's scoring imo.

Portsmouth looking really good this season. Definitely a much better team than before. The midfield partnership they've got of Utaka and Muntari is really good, I thought Muntari was excellent yesterday and Utaka made some cutting runs.

We need a shots blocked off the line stat imo. I'm certain Ashley Cole must get at least 5 a season, he clears so much from the line.

We need a shots blocked off the line stat imo. I'm certain Ashley Cole must get at least 5 a season, he clears so much from the line.

Yes i agree, but maybe change it to "crucial challenges" or something..would be more interesting but harder to keep track off..we have already had a few from the last 2 games we would have to reanalyze.

From yesterday besides Ash off the line, there's the Ben Haim challenge on the Taylor effort too.

Too complicated i guess...off the line maybe should be it.

Archived