The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

The French international is believed to be unhappy with his lack of first-team action at Chelsea and he is well down the pecking order in Jose Mourinho's plans.

The two London rivals are understood to be in talks over a deal and the player is keen on securing a switch to North London as he searches for regular first-team football.

Yeah, good luck with that Lassana.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by orion318:

But even though it doesn't really suit the EPL i would like us to get a more creative player.

more like it doesn't suit your team's style of play mate. plenty of creative players have flourished in the Premiership when allowed to.

Originally posted by Chapman:

Always knew JT would sign, he will never leave us, ever.

only took the highest salary in world football to confirm his incredible loyalty, what a guy :*)

no need to bite on that btw, i'm just bored

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

more like it doesn't suit your team's style of play mate. plenty of creative players have flourished in the Premiership when allowed to.

Hey nick ok you might have a point...but can you bring up the names of the creative players that flourish in the EPL atm..

Only guy i remember is Scholes and tbh he's more of a out of box poacher than a real midfield maestro.

Don't remember continental style number 10s in the EPL tbh..but haven't followed you guys closely for a that many years so i might be missign some obvious ones..

Originally posted by orion318:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Hey nick ok you might have a point...but can you bring up the names of the creative players that flourish in the EPL atm..

Only guy i remember is Scholes and tbh he's more of a out of box poacher than a real midfield maestro.

Don't remember continental style number 10s in the EPL tbh..but haven't followed you guys closely for a that many years so i might be missign some obvious ones.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

completely wrong about Scholes for starters.

creative, technically gifted players flourishing in the Premiership? Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney, Fabregas, van Persie, Joe Cole, Xabi Alonso, Arteta... that's just off the top of my head in 20 seconds, and at the current time - countless other examples in the recent past. United and Arsenal have proven over the last decade that technically-gifted players not only have a place in the Premiership but can positively excel over here, as long as they have a manager who plays the right style of football to get the best out of them. don't go taking the Mourinho/Benitez cautious, safety-first approach as representative of the Premiership as a whole.

Of the mentioned closest to playmakers would be Fabregas and Arteta IMO.

No way Ronaldo, Rooney and the rest would fit the bill.

And putting Xabi Alonso in the list would have to put all midfielders in the EPL. FFS in that case even Gerard would be ahead of him

On re-reading your post Nick maybe you miss understood..i'm not talking about technical players with good pace that can create chances because of this combination, i'm talking about that classical playmaker (that even in the rest of europe is dying out), that doesn't have a lot of movement in him but because of his vision can create goal chances, with his skilled distribution.

Zidane, Rui Costa, Riquelme that sort of style of players

Like i said before they're the kind of players that i think wouldn't be able to produce much because they would get choked by the strong midfielders the EPL prefers, the box to box physical players that overwhelm the creatives.

Again you are right..Most EPL midfielders would eat up those sort of players, Fabregas, Gerrard even fat Lamps would all choke these slower dying bread of playmakers

Like they would many of the stars that play in spain.

You need too had pace to the creativity in the EPL to be any good.

And i didn't understand the laughs at Zidane being creative..he was arguably the best playmaker ever in the game.

Originally posted by Juve4EVA:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

And yeah, Zidane basically as strong as any player currently in the Prem.

yeah, ask materazzi. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? He know a lot of strong men? Possibly oiled too?

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

And i didn't understand the laughs at Zidane being creative..he was arguably the best playmaker ever in the game.

A prime example of 'gagaing' here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Zidane wasn't creative? icon_confused.gif cause if he wasn't no one really is..or just decided to go against me as usual even if it makes you look silly..

Oh f**k me sideways, are you joking or have you not actually read any of the posts?

You pigeonholed Zidane in with Rui Costa and Riquelme claiming they wouldn't be able to produce in teh Prem as they would get 'choiked' by stronger midfielders. A f**king ridiculous statement as Zidane was/is an incredibly strong midfielder.

Cretin.

And didn't understand your point Rcjuk in using my quote..many continental players don't make it in the EPL and most of the EPL stars specially english ones don't really perform on the continent.

One of the things for example are those classical strikers you guys have that last for ever. The Sheringams etc..they would be quick down the pecking order on the continent while in the EPL they seem to perform for ever..it's quite amazing!

My opinion on this is that it's down to physical conditioning that keeps them on form for that long.

Another example of the importance off physical conditioning is the EPL/LA Liga dichotomy. In england they buff up, in spain they become fat.

EPL>>>* icon14.gif

Yes ratinho he's very strong physically and his technical skill would get him out of a lot of problems but no way would he be given has much space in the EPL has they have in spain.

Zidane is a bad example of player that would get choked by oposition because he was totaly fb but i brought him up as an example of a real playmaker because of the list with ronaldo in it above.

but Riquelme and Costa are examples off players that can be choked easily by oposition (Copa America final for example) and there are others.

Don't get so upset little rat icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

It's choiked mate, choiked.

where did i post choiked? just did a search on the page and you guys wrote it not me..and english isn't my native language but the verb is to choke..so i don't get how that was brought up icon_confused.gif maybe some side joke i'm not aware of icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Juve4EVA:

Please tell me anymore names you have got?

Like i said even in the rest of the world there haven't been a lot of these players recently.

It's a dying bread because football as evolved into new paths.

The more creative players of today do the creation more from the wing like Ronaldinho.

Káka is an example of a very creative midfielder but that matches this with tremendous pace and progression on the pitch.

There have also been playmakers that prefer/ed deeper areas of the pitch like pirlo and and guardiola.

None of the above would match to the classic image of the "number 10 player"

Originally posted by Ratinho:

You couldn't upset me. I came in with no expectations from the redman of the Chelsea thread tbh.

If ubos was here we could break out the champagne and KY.

Get it done mate.

Better game there specially in the second half, but really after JM got mad and changed tactics on the 30th min.

Going to be hard to get a 4-3-3 running, team feels more at ease with 2 forwards atm.

Pizarro was great, he's getting more knowledge of Didier and seem to be linking well, Sheva doesn't have a space on this squad atm.

Also Joey doing the AMC position after lampard left was great, and he really set the game alight.

All in all good last friendly of the season.

Real deal on the weekend and if not very important hopefully we can get a result then and get our first silverware of the season. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

what was drogba's goal like?

2 goals by him

First one off a cross from Glen he jumps with the GK and heads it into the net. GK and defenders ask for a foul but basicly he takes it as it's reaching the hands and didn't do much contact with the gk...looked alright icon14.gif

Second goal was great: Joey dribbles past a guy out of nothing in the middle of the park, kicks to DD, side touch to Pizarro that without letting it drop puts it into the space behind the defender where DD was running too and then he screams it past the GK and into the back of the net.

All touches at high pace and the one two with Pizarro just perfect. icon14.gif

Chelsea site match report:

Tue, 31st Jul 2007

It was back to winning ways on Tuesday night, as Didier Drogba bagged a brace in Copenhagen.

In truth it was not the most entertaining of affairs ahead of Sunday's Community Shield showdown at Wembley, but José Mourinho will be pleased with the physical test afforded to his team by the home team.

Several of Mourinho's key men got another 90 minutes under their belt, with the likes of Frank Lampard and Pizarro impressing, not to mention two-goal Drogba, who takes his pre-season tally to three.

Just like Saturday at Ibrox, there was a fantastic atmosphere inside Brøndby Stadion well before the kick-off.

The stadium, highly reminiscent of somewhere you would find in the Premiership, was buzzing largely thanks to the terraced home supporters at one end, singing loudly and constantly, cheering their heroes' every move, considerately translating their more offensive efforts into English.

Chelsea started tentatively, and it was Brondby who registered the first effort after six minutes, with Martin Ericsson picking up a rebound and volleying wide from outside Cudicini's area.

After a quarter of an hour it was forward Morten Duncan Rasmussen's chance to scare the Blues, decked out in our new third kit for the first time.

His long drive was fisted away by Cudicini, and although we were having plenty of possession, it would be hard on our Danish hosts to suggest they weren't on top.

Our first chance came half way through the first half, as Wright-Phillips linked with Lampard before hitting a low cross shot.

It flashed across goal towards Didier Drogba, but his outstretched leg couldn't quite connect, and the ball skimmed away to safety.

Two minutes later the two England internationals combined again to release the overlapping Glen Johnson.

The pacy full back got to the ball first, and with a bouncing ball and advancing goalkeeper, he went for the lob, but his effort fell a couple of yards wide. It was though promising and showed we were capable of unlocking the home defence.

After half an hour, Mikel was forced to retire, and was replaced by Pizarro, who slotted in alongside Drogba up front, changing the formation to a 4-4-2.

By that point, with the game lacking any real tempo, the atmosphere had begun to flatten, but, inspired by the booking of Sidwell for not retreating at a free kick, the Brøndby faithful were reborn, bouncing on their terrace cacophonously.

Right at the end of the half, Pizarro and Malouda combined well, with the Peruvian beating several players before releasing a perfectly weighted ball into the Frenchman's path.

Cruelly, he was cut down right on the edge of the area, for which Rasmussen received a caution. From the resulting free kick, Drogba bent one round the wall, but it was comfortably held by goalkeeper Stephan Andersen, formerly of Charlton.

At half-time, Mourinho opted to make two changes, with Cech replacing Cudicini in goal, and Joe Cole coming on for Malouda.

Things were still disjointed though, and it took a further quarter hour before any real action, with Drogba's drive deflecting off an opponent, and up on to the roof of Andersen's net.

Two minutes later and we were in front, with Drogba adding his second of pre-season.

Pizarro had won the ball before laying off to Wright-Phillips, who waited patiently before laying into the path of the overlapping Johnson.

Johnson's cross was floated high, and as Drogba jumped with the goalkeeper many expected a free kick to be awarded, but the Ivorian's challenge was deemed to be fair, and his headed effort dribbled across the line.

The goal seemed to lift us, and we were well in control, with Johnson and Joe Cole linking well down the right flank, and Cech untested on a chilly Copenhagen evening.

Brondby began to press with time ticking down, and Kasper Lorentzen was guilty of misfiring his first-time shot at the far post, when he was unmarked with only Cech to beat.

We wrapped the game up with six minutes remaining, as Joe Cole took the ball and ran at the defence, finding the feet of Drogba who played a smart one-two with Pizarro before lashing a thunderous half volley into the net.

In the final minute Joe Cole nearly made it a third, unleashing a powerful free kick from fully 30 yards towards the top corner, but sub keeper Tørnes was equal to it.

From the resulting corner Pizarro should have scored, but again the keeper pulled off a superb save, pushing his header onto the crossbar and away.

It was a comfortable win in the end, but it didn't look so simple after a difficult opening hour, and despite the result there was still no silencing the home crowd.

By Andy Jones

Chelsea (4-3-3): Cudicini (Cech 45); Johnson, Ben-Haim, Carvalho, A Cole (Hutchinson 64); Mikel (Pizarro 29), Sidwell (Grant 78), Lampard © (Cork 82), Malouda (J Cole 45) Drogba, Wright-Phillips(Sinclair 70).

Goals Drogba 61, 84

Booked Sidwell

Brøndby (4-4-1-1): Andersen(Tørnes 67) ; Randrup, Howard, Nielsen © (Williams 78), M Rasmussen (Rytter 45); Mikkelsen (Jorgensen 45), Spelmann (Gislason 45), Daugaard (Lantz 45), Madsen (Lorentzen 45); Ericsson (Retov 45); MD Rasmussen (Katongo 64).

Goals

Booked M Rasmussen, Lantz

Note how Rasmussen has quickly changed sports icon_wink.gif

Orion, Zidane choked badly against Bayern or Man U (with all those STRONG midfielders running behind the ball) in the CL, didn’t he?

Rui Costa would have been a star in the Premiership like he was in the Italian league. The Italian League of the late 90’ >>> The Premiership.

A video of Zidane. He is so much better that those headless chickens you are talking about.

Nop i said that there aren't a lot of creative playmakers in the EPL cause it isn't the sort of player that does well here, then someone said that i was wrong, and stated ronaldo, rooney and others as an example..to which i replyed that ZZ, rui costa, Riquelme were the sort of playmakers i was reffering too...

and that these sort of players (not necesserily the one's mentioned) don't really suit the style of play in the EPL. Unless of course you build a team for the way they play.

But lets drop the subject it's been confusing.

In other news, aparently the Robben deal might go through but then JM will bring in Daniel Alves so he has another pacy wing man. icon14.gif

Arjen Robben's father has denied the Dutch winger has rejected a lucrative contract extension with Chelsea.

Hans Robben, who is also the player's agent, has confirmed his son was offered a new deal, but it was nowhere near the £90,000-a-week mentioned.

The 23-year-old could still join Spanish giants Real Madrid or see out the remaining two years of his contract at Stamford Bridge, according to Hans.

"It's been reported Arjen's been offered £90,000 a week. Maybe if it was he would have signed," he told the Daily Star.

"In fact, the new contract wasn't really a new contract. It was no good so we turned it down.

"Maybe he'll go to Madrid or maybe he'll stay and serve out his current two-year contract."

Archived