The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rcjuk:

DROGBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good win today but I expected nothing less, throw in some customary home decisions and it was standard really.

Haha, we clearly deserved the win, don't think you really have much grounds to moan about the referee.

You'll still win the title, but just pleased that we played so well, should be fine on Wednesday if we keep it up.

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

Not moaning It was just a typical home refs performance.

Happens most games at our place you just get a bit of luck on a peno or something and one for the other team is turned down.

Fair enough. The penalty we had was the right decision imo, and Kalou was a decent shout as well tbh. Didn't really see the Ronaldo incident, temporarily distracted.

Terry gets absolutely molested like Ronaldo was every corner, every week pretty much.

Absolutely delighted with that. Essien was so ****ing good it's unbelievable. Clearly one of the best players in the world. Glad to see him back on song after what wasn't a great season by the high standards he set himself. Will be livid if Grant pushes him out to right back against Liverpool.

Thought Kalou had a good game too. On the receiving end of way too much stick imo. Did well running the wing and got in a couple of decent positions. Somone just needs to drill it into his head that not every situation can be solved by just running the ball into the goal and he actually has to have a crack sometimes.

Joe Cole pretty average yet again. Didn't look confident to me. Couple of times when he was running down the centre, and on form he just sells them a cheeky dummy and then has a shot or plays a little ball through. Essien was in a perfect position both times for Cole to pass it to him but he hesitated. Loved him sticking the ball through Rio's legs so that he fell on his arse though icon_biggrin.gif

Ballack. Just icon_cool.gif theboydonegood was so right. He's **** now.

• Administrators
as I said in the match thread: some credit's due to grant?

Today, yes. Right team, right subs, right gambles. We ****ing deserved that win and he went for it, fair play.

Ryan, you can say Wiley gave us some big calls but he was shocking and his yellow cards were baffling, United had some serial offenders then he'd card Mikel or something out of nowhere. And he/his lino missed an absolutely blatantly shocking handball before the one given. Not denying you shouldn't have had one later, advantage wrongly played but that shot came off the line, would you complain if that goes in? Course not.

Ballack's not a world class player any more, we ruined him :*************************(

• Administrators

Official site today has some amazing stuff about the new kit. It really rules, best bits in bold.

Mon, 28th Apr 2008

Chelsea's players have given a unanimous vote of approval to the new home kit for next season and the inspiration behind it.

The message, 'Together, Impossible is Nothing', the look, design and feel were all aspects the players immediately felt an affinity with.

The kit will be worn for the first time by the team for the last Barclays Premier League game of the season against Bolton on May 11 at Stamford Bridge. And you can pre-order now by using this link. It is on sale to the public from May 8.

Coloured in traditional Chelsea reflex blue, the kit is a retro throwback to those of bygone years.

The thinking behind the new white polo collar came from various kits of the past while the gold trim on the collar and sleeve hems makes an immediate colour connection with the club crest.

John Terry and Didier Drogba were in agreement that the spirit of the team is summed up in the message.

Terry said: 'Yeah I think we have sort of installed that, especially with our home record over the last four years, been exceptional from the players and the fans play a large part in that as well.

'Us being a goal down a few times, never giving up, always battling until the end and the fans sing along right until the 94th, 95th minute and play a really big part of what we have done at the Bridge.'

While Drogba added: 'That is exactly the spirit Chelsea has and has had for the last few years. Not even in the last few years, but since the club was created because we waited a long long time to win the league and if we did it is because the club and the structure didn't give up.'

The Ivory Coast striker also noticed the retro look in the design as did Ashley Cole.

Drogba said: 'Well, it is different, it looks like we are getting back to the old Chelsea, with the little lines. That is not bad, this is the identity of the club so we need to bring it back.'

Cole said: 'Really nice, really comfortable and I think it is a good look from the last kit.'

You can pre-order the new kit now by using this link. It is on sale to the public from May 8.

Following a thorough review of the domestic and international markets, a joint decision has been made by Chelsea FC and adidas, our official sponsor and sportswear supplier, to change our home kit every year.

It is our belief that this will become the football norm, with several Premier League clubs already doing it, and we would prefer to be open with our fans rather than introduce this measure by stealth.

As well as demand domestically there is now a significant demand for Chelsea outside of the UK where all our main European rivals took this step several years ago.

We would like to assure our fans that the replica kits will be of the highest sporting, technology and design standards as well as offering value for money with the recommended retail price being the same as the 2007/08 season.

Chelsea takes the views of our fans seriously and we always try to balance those with the realities of our business. This has been demonstrated by our dialogue over ticket prices which has led to a freeze on non corporate ticket prices for three consecutive seasons and other discount price policies for cup matches.

To ensure full transparency, the club's Customer Charter has been amended to take into account this change and all replica shirts at retail will carry a swing tag that makes the shelf life of the shirt very clear.

As always for adidas and Chelsea, technology is at the forefront of the kit design. The shirt incorporates the world-renowned ClimaCoolâ„¢ and ForMotionâ„¢ technologies which allow heat and sweat to escape and give the athlete the freedom and movement to perform.

ClimaCoolâ„¢ mesh panels run down the side of the shirt and have been highlighted by sleek embossing to create a dynamic and powerful look to the shirt.

Mon, 28th Apr 2008

Petr Cech has a 'Warning' for all Chelsea's opponents next season, the colour of the goalkeeper's home shirt.

The new kit revealed today for the first time is the latest striking colour to feature on the Chelsea kit.

Officially the orange colour is called 'Warning' and it follows this season's very popular 'Electricity' yellow European kit.

Cech said: 'When we were talking with adidas about the new shirt for the new season, someone mentioned the orange colour because there were some studies about the orange colour and they said it is the most disturbing colour for the strikers, because they don't have much time and orange attracts everything so I hope it works.

'When I signed for Sparta Prague I heard similar so I had an orange shirt, and this was one of the best seasons I ever had.

'When I came here it was impossible because José hated bright colours for goalkeepers. But we had bright colours during this season with the yellow kit, which I think is a lot brighter than this, then I thought okay we might get back to the subject of the orange colour and in the end everybody like the idea so here we are.'

The kit will be worn for the first time by Cech for the last Barclays Premier League game of the season against Bolton on May 11 at Stamford Bridge.

And you can pre-order now by using this link. It is on sale to the public from May 8.

This stuff is all lead on our site icon_biggrin.gif

I'm nervous about Wednesday already. Fcuk me it's going to be a massive week.

Briliant on Saturay, got leathered in a pub with my liverpool supporting mate, said pub emptied to reveal we were the only two supporting Chelsea in there!!!

Not happy about a new shirt every season. Thnk most fans will go for one every other season still, as I will.

This is what it's all about. Roll on Wednesday.

P.S. Grant is still a knobber!

• Administrators
Any truth in the rumour that a Chelsea fan died the day after being attacked by Liverpool fan with a brick at the first leg?

Not officially confirmed but it does seem to be true. Got some aggro in the Cabbage Hall (?) then attacked later by a larger group and hit over the head. Hospitalised, checked himself out, died the day after.

Still not entirely believing it as it's all word of mouth, but that's the story as it goes right now.

Has the club got something in mind regarding the tickets for the CL final, should we make it of course. Just wondering as Liverpool and United seem to have released the details of how/when they are selling their potential allocation.

Would love to go but the Thomas Cook packages are very expensive for what is a day trip. Looks like im going on my own aswell so dont really fancy a trek through Eastern Europe alone should I find other routes.

Originally posted by bridgekings:

Has the club got something in mind regarding the tickets for the CL final, should we make it of course. Just wondering as Liverpool and United seem to have released the details of how/when they are selling their potential allocation.

Would love to go but the Thomas Cook packages are very expensive for what is a day trip. Looks like im going on my own aswell so dont really fancy a trek through Eastern Europe alone should I find other routes.

Assume the club aren't doing bad karma on thinking we'll get thru.

I'm gonna go, but might go via Norway and train down. Visa is going to be the big problem for everyone.

Due to concerns over the processing of visa applications, UEFA has asked Chelsea Football Club to make public as much information as possible regarding the possibility of Champions League Final participation.

This is despite the fact we have yet to complete our semi-final against Liverpool.

Chelsea FC agrees it is prudent and sensible to make these provisional plans for the UCL Final, which takes place on Wednesday 21 May in Moscow. These are clearly subject to the club being successful against Liverpool.

The following information is the first stage in this process.

Chelsea will release the sales details next week when they have been confirmed by UEFA.

Possible UEFA Champions League Final information

Wednesday 21st May 2008

Kick-off 7:45pm GMT

Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Russia

Ticket allocation and prices

We will receive approximately 21,000 tickets for the UEFA Champions League Final which takes place at Luzhniki Stadium on 21 May. Tickets will be priced at 80 Euros, 140 Euros and 200 Euros. We have been allocated tickets in the south side of the stadium.

Selling procedures (dates to be confirmed)

- Supporters on the UEFA away scheme can purchase their ticket. The best-priced tickets available will be held for supporters on the away scheme.

- 1 ticket will be sold to season-ticket holders on the highest loyalty points basis.

- Remaining tickets will go on sale 1 ticket per member on a loyalty points basis.

- For Hospitality season-ticket holders, the away loyalty scheme will apply, further details will be sent out via e-mail.

Visa and passport information

All supporters must have a valid visa and passport in order to gain entry to Russia. It is anticipated that supporters will be able to secure a visa at Stamford Bridge when they collect their ticket. Full details to follow.

Duplicate tickets and collection procedure

We regret to inform supporters there will be NO duplicate tickets available for this match.

All tickets must be collected from the Box Office only in person. Special opening times will apply in order to assist supporters collecting their tickets and securing their visa applications. Full details of opening times and collection procedure will be available once the selling dates are confirmed.

Booking fee

Please note, on this occasion the £1.50 booking fee will be waived on all purchases.

Packages with Thomas Cook Sport

Official flight packages (which will include a match ticket) will be available from Thomas Cook Sport. These packages will be on sale from the Box Office or via the Thomas Cook Sport website and call centre. Packages will also be sold in line with the club's ticketing policy. All tickets must be collected. Further information regarding visas will follow.

The standard UEFA away declaration form will need to be completed in order to collect the ticket. This will be available online to download once ticket sales commence.

All ticket sales are subject to availability.

Thats all there is so far.

• Administrators

You kind of assumed the force was with Manchester United, regardless of Saturday's result. But then you saw the way they reacted to the defeat. And you began to wonder. The reaction, in particular, to the awarding of the penalty was interestingly unhinged.

Here's a ref who has the audacity to award a penalty against a United player for handling the ball in the penalty area, and all hell breaks lose in his face. This is something our players were being accused of a couple of months ago, but on Saturday I though we saw it done properly.

And then afterwards, of course, there were the attempts to delay the penalty which, amazingly, got Van der Sar alone booked, when it seemed to me there were a few others in the queue for a carding. Certainly the sight of Silvestre chucking grass into the air, directly in front of Michael Ballack, in some kind of act of psychological warfare which possibly only the defender himself really understood, will live long in my personal memory bank of 'Unsporting Conduct I Have Witnessed'.

Ballack, of course, kept his head together. Clearly what some people mistook for indifference in him, early on in his time at Chelsea, is, in fact, extreme cool. World class cool.

But didn't United's reactions take you back? Back to March 22, I mean, when Sir Alex Ferguson came out solidly behind the new 'respect the ref' initiative.

'We had a pivotal moment some years ago,' the United manager explained to the press, 'when our players surrounded Andy D'Urso. I went off my head with them about that. I thought it was ridiculous and it never happened again. We tell them to shake the hand of the referee at the end of the game. Sometimes it's difficult, but they have to do it. The haranguing of referees is absolutely ridiculous, we know that. It's not right. We see it as an issue. Since the business with Andy D'Urso, we've not done anything like that.'

This, of course, was less than a fortnight after Ferguson himself, along with his assistant, Carlos Queiroz, had been brought up by the FA on an improper conduct charge for remarks they made about Martin Atkinson (who refereed United's FA Cup defeat by Portsmouth and 'failed' to give them a penalty), including, from Fergie, the following splendidly lit firework: 'Managers get sacked because of things like that, and he's going to referee a game next week.'

After the final whistle on Saturday, I found myself watching Fergie's white shirt barrelling across the pitch towards the referee. I actually, for one sublime moment, thought he was going to lump him, but he turned out to be on a peacekeeping mission, pulling away Van der Sar, among others. Still struggling to get that message about shaking hands across, it seems. Well, I hope he keeps up his efforts, is all I'll say.

Quite right imo.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

Nervous or excited about playing us next Monday?

which team are you going to be cheering for joey pet? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll support the Toon as always but it is one of the first times watching them that I wouldn't mind us losing icon_redface.gif.

Probably be 0-0

Originally posted by Senoj Lihp:

what do chelsea fans want to happen with grant now?

and how about if he wins the CL? or the PL? or both?

or neither ofc.

Personally I am not nor ever was a fan of grant, so I would like someone with little more experience in charge, but its hard to go against the results. He has certainly surprised me but his decision making skills on occasions were poor and his personality isnt helping his case.

Unbelievable night and a massive result of the club

Originally posted by Abramovic:

Grant hasn't showed anything this season to suggest that hes the right man for the job. I just think he is out of his depth

Originally posted by deez0r:

Grant seriously cannot be here next year.

Originally posted by Abramovic:

I never truly believed that we had a chance of winning the title this season but i'm still gutted after tonights game Frown

I just hope Grant moves upstairs or out of the club all together.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Avram's off in the summer icon_cool.gif

Too ****ing right too, not least for how he's completely frozen some players out of the team. Sweep and Sheva spring to mind immediately. Sheva's been ready for some minutes for ages. Took a late goal to get him 30s on the pitch tonight ffs.

Essien is not a ******* rightback icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by shanyi:

how delusional and unsuited to the job Avraham Grant is- if he thinks more investment is going to solve all Chelsea's problems, he's got a nasty surprise coming. Distressingly, I still get the feeling Abramovich is going to stick with him.

icon_cool.gif

After last year's penalty defeat I had a couple of tears, but tonight I had an outright cry for the first time in about 10 years, which is pretty much half my life.

I knew it would happen beforehand though, regardless of the result, and its gonna happen again in three weeks time, but it feels fecking fantastic with it being tears of euphoria \o/

So the last match of last season was the first match this season and now also the last one this season. And we know we can beat Man U, with Cole owning Ronaldo time and time again.

Originally posted by The_Fish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abramovic:

wp the_Fish icon14.gif

however I still stand by my comments icon_frown.gif

I don't really know you but I'm going to wildly guess that you're a little bit stubborn icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just a tad icon_biggrin.gif

Archived