[FM09] A Season in a night!

Superdan

Matchday 30 Fiorentina @ Artemio Franchi

Fiorentina-256x256.png VS Hellas-Verona-256x256.png

Preview

Fiorentina are a very strong side with some big names and lie only a point and a place below us in the table. Avoiding defeat here is vital if we wish to remain a strong contender for 3rd 2nd or even 1st place. Could be an interesting battle and will be looking to hold onto our 8 game unbeaten streak.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Rosales (ST)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiorentina 0-1 VERONA

Substitutions: Knudsen (On for Pateev), Esteve (On for Rosales), Holomek (On for Acapandie)

Match Review

Genuinely astonished at the rate that my team has improved. A FANTASTIC result which puts us four points clear of 5th and a point ahead of 3rd. We're now level on points with second and genuine contenders for finishing in the champions league places for the second time in three years. After a poor season last season this has really brought us back into the fray.

Match Overview

fiorentina.jpg

Player Ratings

fiorentina.jpg

Monthly Review: March/ Early April

Form

DDWWW

Results

Milan 2-2 VERONA

VERONA 1-1 Bologna

VERONA 4-1 Siena

VERONA 3-1 Lecce

Fiorentina 0-1 VERONA

Player of the month

Felipe Monteiro- Once again our captain shines through in a brilliant run of results. Fantastic month for the winger.

Top Goalscorer

Monteiro (5)

Review

Another great month (and a bit) some fantastic results against some big sides, the 2-2 draw at San Siro against champions Milan being a particular highlight. Some fantastic form has seen us become genuine contenders for the title run in and also the champions league places.

League Table

leaguee.jpg

Matchday 31 Pescara @ Adriatico

brand.gif VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Preview

Pescara are a side currently toying with the relegation zone, sat only a place and three points outside of it. This means they should be fighting for every point they can get. But we're side on form and looking to stay where we are so we are also fighting for every point we get, should be an interesting match, could be a few goals.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Rosales (ST)

Pescara 1-0 VERONA

Substitutions: Esteve (On for Rosales), Holomek (On for Acapandie), Rea (On for Monteiro)

Match Review

I had a feeling these guys could be a tough side to beat and apparantly they were. We struggled to break them down and make any real chances which meant that we could play the football we usually do. They hit us on the break and scored the winner. Bad result, very disappointing

Match Overview

pescara.jpg

Player Ratings

pescara.jpg

Matchday 32 Modena @ Bentegodi

Preview

We should be looking to bounce back from the pescara game here with a win. Modena aren't one of the stronger sides in the league and as we look to get back into the winning mentality this is an ideal game for us. Rosales really isn't pulling his weight up front so im going to give Holomek a start.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

VERONA 4-0 Modena

Substitutions: Diaz (On for Backes)

Match review

Just the response i was looking for. Buonanotte very impressive getting a hat-trick which will no end of good for his confidence. Holomek came into the side and looked fantastic one of the best players on the team and will definitely retrieve his place in the next match. 4 goals without reply is exactly what i wanted from this match, great result.

Match Overview

modena.jpg

Player Ratings

modena.jpg

Matchday 33 Genoa @ Luigi Ferraris

genoa20logo.jpg VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

A tough encounter for us here, potential banana skin. We will be looking to get off to a good start to this game and, should we take the lead, kill it off as soon as possible, we cant afford to allow teams the chance to get back into a game. Important game as we come to the climax of the season.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Rea (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

Genoa 2-4 VERONA

Substitutions: Esteve (On for Acapandie)

Review

Another fantastic result for the boys in blue. Last season this is the kind of game we would have struggled in, we're like a different side. The 4 goals we scored reflect just how much of an attacking side we have become. The fact they came from all areas of the pitch shows just hows strong a unit we are. Great result.

Match Overview

genoap.jpg

Player Ratings

genoau.jpg

Matchday 34 Roma @ Bentegodi

logo%20HellasVerona.png VS Logo+As+Roma.png

Preview

The first of two massive games for us in the run in to the end of the season. We're at the business end and games like this are pivotal to determining where we finished. With a home game against second placed Inter coming up, if we can stay within three points of them then we could possibly be looking at Veronas highest finish since they won the Scudetto back in 1985. Roma are still a very good side and a team we have to beat.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Rea (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

VERONA 2-0 Roma

Substitutions: Diaz (On for Molina), Esteve (On for Acapandie)

Review

Another fantastic result the first of the two big games. 2 goals is a good return against a strong side and to have not conceded is also a bonus. Great performance again from Buonanotte as he bags his third man of the match award in as many games.

Match Overview

romaj.jpg

Player Ratings

romaz.jpg

Matchday 35 Torino @ Stadio Olimpico

brand.gif VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Preview

A side in mid-table annonymity, much like us last season. Hopefully like us last season they will be prone to conceding. Not a team to underestimate, we've lost to worse sides this season and make no mistake this will not be an easy game for us. We will be looking to recent hero Buonanotte to take the game to Torino here. Prediction: Torino 1-2 Verona

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Rea (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Rosales (ST), Holomek (ST)

Torino 0-0 VERONA

Subsitutions: Esteve (On for Rosales)

Review

Not the most enthralling of games and not best pleased with the result. Could really have done with a win here in our pursuit for 2nd place but a draw is better than a defeat.

Match Overview

torino.jpg

Player Ratings

torino.jpg

Monthly Review: April

Form

LWWWD

Results

Pescara 1-0 VERONA

VERONA 4-0 Modena

Genoa 2-4 VERONA

VERONA 2-0 Roma

Torino 0-0 VERONA

Player of the Month

Diego Buonanotte- A fantastic month for the winger, three man of the match winning performances ensured he received this honour.

Top Goalscorer

Diego Buonanotte (6)

Review

A mixed bag of results, to start with the defeat against Pescara was disappointing but we then went on a 3 game winning streak taking in big results like the 4-2 away victory at Genoa. The Roma result was also very enjoyable. These results should stand us in good stead as we go into the last few games of a great season.

League Table

league.jpg

Matchday 36 Inter Milan @ Bentegodi

logo%20HellasVerona.png VS Inter+milan+fc.png

Preview

A massive game for us here at Bentegodi. 3 points from this game would be fantastic but at the same time i would definitely take a draw against a strong Inter side.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Prieto (MC), Rea (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Rosales (ST), Holomek (ST)

HELLAS VERONA 0-0 Inter Milan

Substitutions: Acapandie (On for Holomek), Pateev (On for Prieto)

Review

Again not an enthralling match but an important result for us. Could possibly have won this game but will definitely settle for the point, 2 games left and we're two points behind Inter which gives us a chance of securing 2nd place and a higher champions league seeding.

Overview

interc.jpg

Player Ratings

interk.jpg

Matchday 37- Ascoli @ Cino e Lillo Del Duca

Ascoli_Calcio-logo-02A22C1987-seeklogo.com.gif VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

Both these last two games are important, victory here is vital if we are to take second place from Inter. This wont be an easy game by any stretch and we will have to give our all.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (MC), Pateev (MC), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Rosales (ST), Holomek (ST)

Ascoli 0-2 VERONA

Substitutions: Acapandie (On for Holomek)

Match Review

Couldn't have asked for anymore on our part, shame Inter managed to come from behind to take victory and remain above us. Looks like its going down to the last game.

Match Overview

ascoli.jpg

Player Ratings

ascoli.jpg

Matchday 38- Napoli @ Bentegodi

logo%20HellasVerona.png VS napoli-logo.gif

Match Preview

Last game of this long season and vital to our chances of gaining second place, with Inter away at Fiorentina we have every chance of nicking second place from the Nerrazurri. However we also have to get a win ourselves to stand any chance and Napoli are a side who could cause us problems. We will need to take the game to them from the off.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Mancienne (CB), Delph (CM), Pateev (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Acapandie (ST), Holomek

VERONA 1-1 Napoli

Match Review

Not the result I was looking for, we got the early goal and couldn't kill of the game, to concede in the last minute of exta time was a killer blow. We didn't manage to take second place which means we've equalled our best placing in Serie A whilst i've been in charge. The blow was softened by the fact that Inter took victory at Fiorentina which means our result meant nothing anyway but still would have been nice to end on a winning note.

Match Overview

napoli.jpg

Player Ratings

napolix.jpg

Season Review

Managers View

Well, what a season that turned out to be! Im very happy that we've managed to regain our place in the lucrative Champions League. The squad we currently have is more than capable of doing a job for us next year both in Europe and domestically. I was particularly pleased with my wingers input, they both performed incredibly over the course of a long gruelling season. I was very disappointed by Rosales' performances and the attitude that went with it. Despite never truly being one of our top performers he constantly demanded first team football, it will be interesting to see what the summer brings for him, dont be surprised if you dont see him plying his trade at Bentegodi next year. Overall a fantastic performance from a side i believe to be amongst the strongest in the league hence the 3rd place finish! I will be looking for a similar performance next year from the boys and with a few signings to add depth could see us go far in Europe too.

Top Goalscorers

1st Felipe Monteiro (17)

2nd Vincent Acapandie (14)

3rd Diego Buonanotte (12)

King of Assists

1st Felipe Monteiro (12)

2nd= Georgi Pateev & Sven Backes (10)

3rd= Oscar Rosales, Vincent Acapandie & Diego Buonanotte (8)

Managers Player of the Season

Felipe Monteiro- I cannot begin to bestow enough honours upon this lad, hes been key to our success and revels in his role as captain.

Team of the Season (Based on Average Ratings)

teamoftheseason.jpg

Transfer Plans

Currently I have no plans to retain Oscar Rosales, though it will depend on an acceptable offer coming in. As for incoming signings I dont envisage many, i may look to get some back up for Buonanotte and Monteiro and also a couple of back-up full backs. Most of my transfer activity will be based upon whether or not i can hold onto some of my star players.

Verona Players Honoured At End Of Season Awards

Felipe Monteiro finishes 2nd in the Italian Player of the Year Award.

Sven Backes finishes 3rd in Young Player of the Year Award

Delphs Goal against Udinese is the 3rd Best Goal of the Season

I Claim 3rd place in the Manager of the Season Award

And Finally Felipe Monteiro claims a place in the League team of the year awards

Season Preview

Transfers

In: Frederic Gaillard (Free Transfer From Stade Rennais FC)

Versatile Defender/Midfielder brough in as cover for both

areas of the pitch, wont feature prominently but could

be a big signing in terms of keeping first choicers fit.

Dmytro Melnychenko (£19.5 Million from Genoa)

Full Back/Centre Half who will be competing for the left

back berth currently occupied by Ariel Molina, will also

provide cover for centre half.

Alexander Titov (£23.5 Million from Gladbach)

Due to the early departure of Rosales, I felt it

necesarry to bring in a top quality striker. £23.5

million is a lot of money but im confident this boy

can deliver.

Out: Oscar Rosales (£10 Million to Juventus)

This boy was a massive disappointment last season

and when the opportunity arose to make a profit on

a player who underperformed was too good to miss.

Kasper Schmeichel (Free Transfer)

A good servant to the club who wasn't going to get

the games he deserves.

Managers View

This is an important season for the club. We have had the luck of receiving a takeover from a wealthy norwegian, we have spent big over the summer which will mean added pressure. We're back in the Champions League after a one season absence and we will be looking to progress from the group stages this time around. We have strength in depth which should ensure we challenge on all fronts. The addition of Gaillard could prove to be pivotal to keeping players fit. I hope to maintain our european place this time around if we're lucky then we could retain our Champions League spot. It is largely the same team that finished last season so strongly so in theory with the strong additions we should be an even better side. Should be an interesting season!

Matchday 1 Torino @ Stadio Olimpico

brand.gif Vs logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

First game of the new season and im buzzing! It will be interesting to see whether we can replicate the success of last season or perhaps go one better and it all starts here, away at Torino! Theyre a decent side, boasting our former defender Ezequiel Garay who will be hard to get past, but im looking for a solid start here from the boys.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Melnychenko (CB), Al-Amoudi (CB), Delph (CM), Pateev (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Titov (ST), Esteve (ST)

Matchday 2 Ajax @ Bentegodi (Champions League Group Stage)

logo%20HellasVerona.png Vs AFC_Ajax-logo-62665934F9-seeklogo.com.gif

Preview

First game of the Champions League and its not particularly easy, Ajax are a good side with great fans. This should give us an indication of just how we're going to fare this year in the competition.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Knudsen (CB), Melnychenko (CB), Pateev (CM), Delph (CM), Buonannotte (LM), Monteiro (RM), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

VERONA 1-1 Ajax

Substitutions: Knudsen (On for Diaz), Esteve (On for Acapandie), Gaillard (On for Pateev)

Match Review

A slightly disappointing result, i hope that these two results are down to being a bit slow off the mark because im expecting a big improvement quickly.

Overview

ajax.jpg

Player Ratings

ajax.jpg

Matchday 3 Bologna @ Renato Della 'Arra (Serie A)

BolognaF.C.1909_633798075255947500.jpg VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Preview

Time to get this season on track, two disappointing results so far so will be looking for a big improvement from the boys.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Mancienne (CB), Melnychenko (CB), Delph (CM), Pateev (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Titov (ST), Acapandie (ST)

Bologna 2-0 VERONA

Substitutions: Gaillard (On for Pateev), Zlatkov (On for Mancienne)

Review

Im at a total loss for words here, another game we would have at least drawn last season has seen us losing comfortably. The last time we got into the champions league and our pitch dimensions were changed this is what happened so I am hoping that this isn't the cause.

Overview

bolognat.jpg

Player Ratings

bolognap.jpg

Matchday 4 Pescara @ Bentegodi (Serie A)

logo%20HellasVerona.png Vs Pescara_Calcio-logo-3202ABB224-seeklogo.com.gif

Preview

This game has to be won, the previous two games have been very disappointing and we need some morale boosting and a victory would be the perfect way to do it.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Diaz (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Melnychenko (CB), Buonanotte (CM), Prieto (CM), Sassi (AML), Monteiro (AMR), Titov (ST), Holomek (ST)

VERONA 3-0 Pescara

Review

This is the result I was looking for, we now have that victory under our belt that we need. Both my big summer signings managed to get on the scoresheet which is great for them and im sure will do their confidence no end of good. Great result which i hope we can now use as a platform to build on.

Overview

pescara.jpg

Player Ratings

pescara.jpg

Matchday 5 Napoli @ San Paolo, Naples

napoli-logo.gif VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

We finally got our first win under our belt against Pescara and we should be looking to do something similar here in Naples. Napoli aren't the same side they once were and look beatable even at the San Paolo.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Melnychenko (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Knudsen (CB), Buonanotte (CM), Gaillard (CM), Sassi (AML), Monteiro (AMR), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

Matchday 6 Man City @ City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester (Champions League)

manchestercity.gif VS logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

Big game for us here in the Champions League, Manchester City have become a major force after their Eastern investors provided the funds for various managers to plunge into the transfer market, beating us to a few players, so to go to the City of Manchester Stadium is no easy task, however i feel it is one we could be up to.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Melnychenko (CB), Delph (CM), Gaillard (CM), Buonanotte (AML), Monteiro (AMR), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

Man City 3-2 VERONA

Substitutions: Diaz (On for Molina '56), Esteve (On for Holomek '71)

Match Review

To say we woz robbed would be a massive understatement, to concede a goal in such a late, late time in the game is very disappointing, we thoroughly deserved at least a point but unfortunately it wasn't to be, however I think this shows we're more than capable of not only competing with Italy's big boys but also those of other countries too.

Match Overview

mancityw.jpg

Match Stats

mancityl.jpg

Player Ratings

Matchday 7 Reggina @ Bentegodi, Verona (Serie A)

logo%20HellasVerona.png VS brand.gif

Match Preview

Reggina are a side toying with the possibility of relegation and are not doing very much to steer themselves clear, i will be looking for a both a victory and a convincing scoreline from the boys in blue and yellow today.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Backes (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Melnychenko (CB), Delph (CM), Gaillard (CM), Buonanotte (AML), Monteiro (AMR), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

VERONA 5-1 Reggina

Substitutions: NONE MADE

Match Review

A convincing victory i wanted and a convincing victory i got! 5 goals is a fantastic return and im very pleased with the performance to boot. Many congratulations to the lads on a fine performance.

Match Overview

reggina.jpg

Match Stats

reggina.jpg

Player Ratings

regginan.jpg

Matchday 8 Palermo @ Renzo Barbera, Palermo (Serie A)

brand.gif Vs logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

Big game for us here, Palermo are a decent side with some good players. We should be looking for at least a draw here in reality, but we should not take this game for granted.

Starting Lineup

Riou (GK), Knudsen (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Al-Amoudi (CB), Delph (CM), Gaillard (CM), Buonanotte (AML), Monteiro (AMR), Acapandie (ST), Holomek (ST)

Palermo 1-2 VERONA

Match Review

Another good result from the boys which suggests theyre getting their acts together. Had a bit of a scare once they scored but we managed to hold onto a victory im very happy with.

Match Overview

palermo.jpg

Match Stats

palermo.jpg

Player Ratings

palermox.jpg

Matchday 9 Benfica @ Estadio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica (Champions League)

socialgroupicon_2118_1234049425.gif Vs logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

The more i look at this fixture the more i see it as a must win result, Benfica are a strong side who we must beat to have a strong chance to go through to the second round here. I think this is winnable but it will be a tough game.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Mancienne (RB), Diaz (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Gaillard (CB), Prieto (CM), Delph (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Buonanotte (AML), Holomek (ST), Acapandie (ST)

Benfica 2-3 VERONA

Substitutions: Rea (On for Holomek), Molina (On for Diaz)

Match Review

A great result for the club, however im beginning to worry about the way our fairly deep squad is being stretched beyond recognition by injuries, with Holomek joining the list today. Still a fantastic result which puts us on our way to the second round.

Match Overview

benficad.jpg

Match Stats

benfica.jpg

Player Ratings

benfica.jpg

Matchday 10 Sampdoria @ Bentegodi (Serie A)

logo%20HellasVerona.png VS brand.gif

Match Preview

This has the potential to be a toughie, we're suffering alot of injuries here and im having to play my 17 year old, untried Norwegian striker alongside Titov. Could go either way.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Mancienne (RB), Molina (LB), Zlatkov (CB), Gaillard (CB), Buonanotte (CM), Delph (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Sassi (AML), Haugen (ST), Titov (ST)

VERONA 2-2 Sampdoria

Match Review

Not the best of results, however ill be fair to the boys as we are suffering an injury crisis currently furthered today by the loss of Buonanotte. It was good to see Haugen get a goal on his debut, he could be the future of Veronas strike force.

Overview

sampdoria.jpg

Match Stats

sampdoriaz.jpg

Player Stats

sampdoria.jpg

Matchday 11 Juventus @ Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin (Serie A)

juvelogo.gif Vs logo%20HellasVerona.png

Match Preview

I don't usually look at the odds prior to the game but i decided to before this one and i was pleasantly surprised to my Verona favourites to take an away victory at Juventus! However, i know it won't be that simple and we will have to play to the best of our ability to get anything against the Turin giants.

Starting Line-up

Riou (GK), Molina (LB), Mancienne (RB), Zlatkov (CB), Gaillard (CB), Knudsen (CM), Delph (CM), Monteiro (AMR), Sassi (AML), Haugen (ST), Titov (ST)

Juventus 1-0 VERONA

Match Review

As anticipated my much weakened side suffered here against a very strong side. We suffered a further two injuries, Titov and Knudsen which leaves me with only two fit Strikers.

Match Overview

juventus.jpg

Match Stats

juventus.jpg

Player Ratings

juventus.jpg

Archived