FM2010 announcement

It's going to be 90% of the people using the preset tactics, not enough people trying their own and the experience is going to be streamlined. It's basically WWFanFM now and it's a terrible step for FM. The same problems will exist for people wanting to make their own tactics and try to play an attacking midfielder the say they see him, and I bet the ME has exactly the same problems as 09.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also- how do you plan to conduct beta testing- with everyone using these presets your going to end up with a much smaller data field than usual, and usually the bugs have been horrendous. I suppose what will happen is that the game will be super fine tuned for people using the presets and woeful for those trying to create their own tactics like in 09.

restrictive spreadsheet manager 2010.

awful step for the game- touchline instructions really dumbed down fml, made a mockery of an interesting concept, and to my horror it's been brought into the main game.

one year people at si may fix the problems of the game rather than creating more "features" they can stick on the back of the box.

I look forward to fm11 and the new "win game button" feature.

That's exactly it- you've dumbed down the game using WWfan's extremely restrictive presets rather than fix the actual problems with it to make it more of a fluid football sim.

You can still use the sliders if you want, the tactics UI is only optional in FM and I'm sure that the match enginge has improved since FM09 and even since the latest patch fro FML.

I'll be using the tactics UI as I do tend to struggle with tactics and it'll help me to get some basic cohesive tactics together that I can then modify using the sliders if I want to.

That's exactly it- you've dumbed down the game using WWfan's extremely restrictive presets rather than fix the actual problems with it to make it more of a fluid football sim.

This is what happens when people talk about stuff that they haven't read up on :D

You can have the best of both worlds, I set up a tactic using the wizard then "convert to classic view" so I can make any further adjustments using the good old/bad old sliders.

Yeah but that's not going to happen is it? A hugely increased amount of people are going to use the presets, and it's going to streamline the game until SI know less if they're making an accurate football sim and more if a certain set of presets work.

I don't even know why they bother to have a 7 step wizard. You could just make your own tactic as normal and then have a button at the end which says: "WWFan it?"

Guest roberto922

True, but if you like that side of the games you'll still get into the nitty gritty, I can't stand the current tactical system so never use it, whereas I will use the tactical wizard

restrictive spreadsheet manager 2010.

awful step for the game- touchline instructions really dumbed down fml, made a mockery of an interesting concept, and to my horror it's been brought into the main game.

one year people at si may fix the problems of the game rather than creating more "features" they can stick on the back of the box.

I look forward to fm11 and the new "win game button" feature.

Do managers in real life games not stand in the technical box shouting "push up" "play wider" etc etc?

I think you will find that they do!

Also by no means does using these instructions mean that it will work in your favour.

Yeah but that's not going to happen is it? A hugely increased amount of people are going to use the presets, and it's going to streamline the game until SI know less if they're making an accurate football sim and more if a certain set of presets work.

I don't even know why they bother to have a 7 step wizard. You could just make your own tactic as normal and then have a button at the end which says: "WWFan it?"

And many people just download plug-in-play tactics or similar tactics where they have to do little tinkering, so how is that any different? And you do know that it's supposed to streamline it? They want it to be more realistic (giving players roles, etc., shouting instructions).

Or, what we could do, is mess around with random sliders until we stumble upon a tactic that works!

I'm truly thankful that SI finally added the new league feature to this game. I've been a big adversary of this idea for several years, and I think it's the most important new feature in the game right now.

Even though I was dissapointed at several basic things not working correctly in FM 2009, I'm actually enjoy my savegame there a lot. Now I'm a bit sorry that I wouldn't wait for FM 2010, though, thinking of all the leagues I could have added. That's really the stuff of dreams, and if my friend and I ever tire of our FM 2009 game, I'll be happy to spend the 300-400 hours that I spent preparing our current game on FM 2012 or FM 2013, even though originally we have planned to keep our FM 2009 savegame going 'till we grew old.

As for the criticism concerning press conferences (which I very much agree with):

The post-match interviews available on e.g Sky Sports homepage are often as repetitive and idiotic as on FM, so I guess it's the same IRL. Managers and players get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. It doesn't mean that this section shouldn't be improved, though.

Aye, god forbid that tactical decisions be based on actual football terminology and the match engine actually look like real football.

The new tactics UI was a fantastic addition for FML and will be for FM10 also - people who like to kid themselves that they understand the sliders can carry on, the rest of us can us the wizard - or, judging by FML, we'll be able to mix and match. Everyone's a winner.

Yawn...Go away troll.

Hello SI, its been 12 days since the initial information was released, I was just wondering when the blogs on features etc. are going to begin? I'm just eager to find out about FM10. Thanks

Hello SI, its been 12 days since the initial information was released, I was just wondering when the blogs on features etc. are going to begin? I'm just eager to find out about FM10. Thanks

Hmm yeah I was wondering about this too.

Hoping the first blog is on the new tactics wizard as it sounds like it could be a very decent enhancement. But some detail is needed on how all the different options you can select interact with one another, not to mention how the touchline shouts then affect the tactics further.

Guest josh9393

Well miles said on twitter on friday that there would be 2-3 blogs next (ie. this) week, but they would not be feature ones, which will start the week after. So hopefully they'll start very soon.

Is there going to be a quick checklist or an online scan that can be done to see if FM10 will run on a particular machine ? My machine seemed ok for FM09 but was just unplayable as it was so jerky. If you could somehow scan your machine prior to purchase to see if it met the requirements that would be handy.

Aye, god forbid that tactical decisions be based on actual football terminology and the match engine actually look like real football.

The new tactics UI was a fantastic addition for FML and will be for FM10 also - people who like to kid themselves that they understand the sliders can carry on, the rest of us can us the wizard - or, judging by FML, we'll be able to mix and match. Everyone's a winner.

Not what i'm talking about. It's a good step to move away from sliders towards football terms, it just sucks that we're all going to have to use someone else's interpretation of the ME now because not doing so causes 4's all round.

Not what i'm talking about. It's a good step to move away from sliders towards football terms, it just sucks that we're all going to have to use someone else's interpretation of the ME now because not doing so causes 4's all round.

We're not using "someone else's interpretation of the match engine". It's the same people who always edit it.

I don't see what the problem is. Use the wizard to set up your overall tactic and then tweak it with the sliders. It will certainly help getting your initial formation up and running. WWFans tactical theories where never intended to be definitive, just a framework to build your own tactics around.

That's crap. All players have a "sale value" (which you can see using an editor) and it is the same for all teams, unless there's some rivalry involved. Clearly the AI is better at spotting good deals than you are and end up getting bargains while you go and pay over the odds for players that are not for sale.

its not crap the ai expects £4m for a £1m player yet will bombard you with 20 offers of £1m if the situation was reversed. If they were that desperate, theyd offer a proper amount instead of spamming you with crap offers.

It would have been far easier for them to simply go back to the logic that got so far in the past- simple things like linking passing and tempo, playing to your team's strengths and using the whole slider. Unfortunately, those things are less effective now than they were. There has been a lot of, to put it bluntly, propaganda put about, SI pandered to the propaganda, and therefore it was exaggerated, and people thought the sliders were more complicated than they should have been. Now we're told we have to use strange mentality and passing systems (we don't). If this propaganda had not crept into the real ME, then there would be no need for this wizard.

FWIW, I'll write a guide on how to use the shout buttons after the demo comes out. But I expect the new system to be very bugged for the first two incarnations at least.

Hopefully still running also with windows XP? Also is there the option for huge database? And one problem that seems to be persistent in multiplayer game. I play with my frend and we both have good and fast internet connections and prorper comnputer, but still there is bit too lag for the one player not running the server. This starts from very begining for example when opening player profile? Have you heard this form anyone else an is there anything you can do about it?

I am really looking forward to new game!!! looks magnificent!

Why have so many people been going on about system requirements - it cleary said in POST 1 there would be an announcement about then in due course....yet the majority of the that 13 pages I have had to read though are "will my PC be able to run FM10" questions - pointless, we were told they will announce it - very frustrating.

No doubt the countless "when will the Demo be out" ones will start on the main forum soon.....again even although it clearly states when it will be out again in POST 1

Then, even just in the general discusison there is loads of FM10 related threads.......dont think I'll bother coming on until at least the demo is launched, turns this place into a mad house. Also, once the Demo/game come out there will be all the "I hate this game", "when will a patch be out", "I have been conned into buying this game" - sometimes I wonder why Sports Interactive even bother with these forums at this time.

Thats my mini rant over.....no offence to the decent posters on here who probably feel the same as I.

Liniert, I think so, not exactly 100% sure, but I'm sure about 99% that you can.

What you can do, but it is extremely difficult to do, by what Miles said is making two leagues into one, like Dutch teams and Belgian teams playing in the same league. Like I said it is extremely difficult and there is some fiddling around involve in that.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly...but I think you can have teams from one country playing in another country's league in FM09. For example in the MLS you have Toronto FC..they are a Canadian team that plays in the "US" MLS league. According to their information page (in FM09) their country is Canada, they also play in the Canadian Champions cup...and the players on their reserve team that are generated by FM09 are all Canadian. So if this can be made to happen in FM09 why not in the FM10 editor?

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly...but I think you can have teams from one country playing in another country's league in FM09. For example in the MLS you have Toronto FC..they are a Canadian team that plays in the "US" MLS league. According to their information page (in FM09) their country is Canada, they also play in the Canadian Champions cup...and the players on their reserve team that are generated by FM09 are all Canadian. So if this can be made to happen in FM09 why not in the FM10 editor?

You can, but I think the league editor and the normal one are seperate programme judging by the screenshots. It's the same with Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Monaco, Vaduz etc.

as you can add new leagues etc..

is it possible to create your own club and add it into your created league or an existing league

btw, really looking forward to the new footy man and have done year on year for many years, keep up the good work

You've always been able to create new clubs in previous editors., so I don't see why not.

On the earlier topic of activation, am I alone in thinking uniloc was far superior to steam? I've just been without internet connection for two weeks and was quite happy with the ability to play the game I own, not to mention installing patches when I feel like it. Whereas with steam it would at the very least have been a lot of hassle setting it up so I could play it without, and in the past, forced to wait for it to download the hefty patches when I wanted to play, which would be nigh on impossible with the terrible internet connection I have at home, instead of later on when a faster connection is available elsewhere.

With steam though, you don't actually have to go through steam to launch it. You can just make a shortcut to the fm.exe file and run that, so no internet required, no waiting for patches to download etc. With the added benefit that you can patch automatically whenever you want.

With steam though, you don't actually have to go through steam to launch it. You can just make a shortcut to the fm.exe file and run that, so no internet required, no waiting for patches to download etc. With the added benefit that you can patch automatically whenever you want.

Ah, my bad, I'd just heard horror stories about other games that use steam, if I can play it directly without going through steam's launcher and patch when I want then I'll have no issues with it.

It's all sounds and looks great. But as we're in the middle of a recession, money is tight and with the purchase of the game not being a problem, my question or whatever you want to call it is this -

After last years game, which is still great but not perfect cos I don't have a high spec PC, what kind of SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS are we likely to expect. I know your not going to be able to officially confirm right now, but could give me some idea of what to expect so I can prepare to buy a new PC or buy other things needed to play FM2010. Please be as honest as you can. NOTE THIS QUESTION IS TO SPORTS INTERACTIVE ONLY!!!

Question about the install/authorizing of FM10

don't know if it's been posted already, but what sort of security features are there going to be required to activate the install of FM this time round??. hope you guys have come up with a way to lesson the impact of authorizing the install of FM10, unlike last year's offering which was a total pain to say the least:(

Archived