Sharpening a Rusty Blade - Book II

Amaroq

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday, 26th December, 2008. Premier League - Game 22, vs Ipswich Town.

When Dave Jones took over Ipswich Town late in the 2004/05 season, they were on their way to relegation from the Championship. He saved them from relegation that season, and in three short years built up the team which won the Championship last year with a dominant 98 points and a +40 goal differential. Obviously, the Premier League this season has been a much tougher campaign, but he has Ipswich in 16th place, clear of relegation. One good note for us: the home side has won each of our last four encounters with Ipswich by two goals. The bad news is that they won our August encounter, 2-0, and are flying high after back-to-back one-nil wins.

Trying to claw our way out of depression, I would use our top-tier lineup. The goalkeeper was Allan McGregor, with Sean Dillon at left back, Hayden Foxe and Steve Foster paired together for possibly the last time in central defense, and Keith McCormack was the right back. At defensive midfield was Mathieu Berson, with Stewart Downing on the left wing and Victor Sikora on the right. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and Joe Newell were partnered in the attacking midfield, and the striker was Peter Weatherson.

After our recent poor performances, attendance was notably down at Bramall Lane. Nobody loves you when you're losing, and the attendance was a meager 29,885 - our lowest total for a league match this season - and that despite it being on the Boxing Day holiday, with clear skies and a warm temperature for December. Right from the start, we looked a very different team than we had been. Our passes were crisper, our movements closer - perhaps it was the home crowd, perhaps the two days off for Christmas, or perhaps my tactic is just better suited to a dry pitch than a wet one.

Throughout the scoreless first half, we had the vast majority of possession, keeping it in the Ipswich half. Their tactic seemed to be 'scramble it clear, get re-set', as though they were facing Chelsea, not a team on a five game scoreless streak. We earned three corner kicks in the half, and had the ball in and around the Ipswich area numerous times, but managed only one real shot on goal.

At halftime, I made the change to our 'patient build-up' tactic, telling the lads that they were all free to join in the attack, but to keep an eye to defense. The crowd were getting restless, and that hadn't produced a real shot until the hour mark. Then Stewart Downing earned a corner kick. He and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson exchanged passes on the edge of the area, and finally Downing sent it to Joe Newell at the 18. The 19-year-old grazed the bar, and was obviously angry with himself for missing the chance.

In the 65th minute, he made amends, starting a fine move by spraying it out to the right side for Victor Sikora. The Dutchman took it to the end line, and, unchallenged, began cutting inside. Bridge-Wilkinson slipped behind the defensive line, but was kept onside by the ball itself, and Sikora put the cross to him at the six. The 29-year-old unleashed a point-blank piledriver, which was met with a great save by Ipswich keeper Paul Smith. Bridge-Wilkinson collected the rebound, and hammered it home for our first goal since the Liverpool game on the 3rd of December!

With a 1-0 lead, I ordered the lads back to the conservative counter-attack which had served us so well in the first half, knowing that Ipswich would have to begin coming forward into the teeth of our defense. Sure enough, they began to do so, and that started opening up space for our speedy counter - not that we could quite manage to take advantage of it. Ipswich always seemed to get in the one decisive touch to break up our attack.

The front men were getting tired by the 80th minute, and I again made a triple change, putting Noel Hunt and Iain Hume in the attacking midfield to replace Newell and Bridge-Wilkinson, with Laurent Robert on the left wing for Downing. Robert and Hume nearly connected on an 82nd-minute corner kick, when Ipswich left the Canadian unmarked at the top of the box. He launched a laser from 15 yards out, only to see it tipped over the bar by Smith.

In the closing minutes, the visitors earned a throw-in deep up our right sideline, and brought nine men forward to the attack. Hayden Foxe won an aerial challenge to head it clear, and Mathieu Berson sent a long ball up the left sideline for Iain Hume. Only Leigh Bromby was back to defend, and he had three attackers bearing down on him. He didn't commit to any of them, and Hume dribbled around him. Goalkeeper Smith, too, was split, and though I was hoping Hume would pass off to Weatherson, he took advantage of the keeper's hesitation to blast it home himself. It was his first ever goal for Sheffield United, and the first Premier League goal of his career!

Even better, it secured a 2-0 advantage, which gave us cause to celebrate with our first league win of the month!

Sheffield United 2, Ipswich 0

Bridge-Wilkinson 65, Hume 89; ----

MoM: Sikora

There was a definite air of relief in the clubhouse, and it was good to hear laughter again: the lads hadn't been joking with each other during our grim run. I told them how proud I was of them, especially Man of the Match Victor Sikora, who had really made that first goal with his dribble, vision, and pin-point cross.

Tuesday, 30th December, 2008.

Though there is usually a flurry of matches at the holidays - often as many as four matches in twelve days, between Boxing Day and New Year's - this year was the exception: the F.A. had provided a welcome break, with no Premiership matches scheduled from the 26th until January 7th! I'm not quite sure how it worked either, but with our League Cup Semi-Final scheduled for the 7th, it would mean a long layoff for the squad.

That was okay by me: there were a number of players who could use a bit of a break, and I'd just as soon not play in the murk and mire. We'd gone into it with a win, relieving the doom-and-gloom that had surrounded the club for most of December, and Victor Sikora would have a week to savour his selection to the Premier League Team of the Week.

On Sunday, our Under-18s beat Mansfield U-18s 4-0. Gary Thomas scored only 2:47 into the match, but left in the second half with a bruised foot. Right wing Andy Lee scored on a 25-yard free kick, Michael Harrison netted the third, and Simon Blake capped off a Man of the Match performance with a goal in stoppage time to make the final score.

Tuesday, Sheffield Reserves saw off ten-man Blackburn Reserves 2-1 at Christie Park in Morecambe. Laurent Robert scored on a brilliant free kick which showed what a talent he could have been for us, while Darren Gibson scored on a fast breakaway.

I used the time off to focus not just on the UEFA International license, but on upgrading the squad. We'd already seen where our weaknesses were: our defense couldn't hold up the top squads, and our offense was nullified by a top-class defense. I already had my big defensive signing in the works, but there was still budget left with which to address our gaping hole up front: the lack of a genuine scoring threat beyond our attacking midfielders.

A young striker from Liverpool had caught my eye in our League Cup match, and Spencer's report on him was very promising:

"You have to sign him, Ian. He's been trapped on the sidelines more from lack of opportunity than lack of talent. His confidence has suffered, sure, but I think if we can address that, he's on the verge of exploding into prominence..."

Thursday, 1st January, 2009.

"Happy New Year, and welcome to Bramall Lane," I said, shaking the hand of new signing David Marek Rozenhal. The veteran centre-back joined us from Birmingham, who had been relegated from the Premier League last season. He'd had two solid seasons in the Premiership with them, and the £3.1M I'd paid to acquire his services felt cheap on comparison.

D C David Marek Rozenhal, 28, Czech, 24 caps, 0 goals:

28 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 3 MoM, 7.21 with Birmingham (Championship):

A hard worker who is well known as a team player, Rozenhal is quick, strong, with good stamina, and excellent control in the air. The thing which impresses me the most about him is that he has absolutely no weaknesses: he's a Premier League-calibre player across the board.

I expect him to step straight into the starting lineup with Hayden Foxe, displacing Steve Foster in the regular partnership. The £3.1M price tag, however, was a club record, and almost equalled the total transfer spending outlay from last year, which had been £3.3M.

Also joining us on the training field were Graham Allen and Chris Gray, who had both resumed full training after their month of physiotherapy. With the tremendous fixture congestion of December looking to be repeated in January, I was glad to have Allen back, but he wouldn't be match ready for several weeks yet.

In the afternoon, after things had settled down and people had had chance to deal with their hangovers, I had the monthly meeting with the board.

"No, we expected the occasional dip in form," Terry Robinson told me. "We're still delighted with all that you've achieved, and honestly, for all that it was an abysmal month, we only lost once place in the table."

I hadn't realized that - and I certainly helped reassure me. Glancing over the table, I noticed that Arsenal had suffered their first defeat, a 1-0 loss away to Manchester United, but that it hadn't prevented them from overtaking Chelsea for the top of the table. It was the first time since 2006 that a team other than the wealthy Blues had occupied first place.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Pts W D L GF GA GD

1 Arsenal 55 17 4 1 52 10 +42

2 Chelsea 54 17 3 2 48 13 +35

3 Liverpool 48 15 3 4 53 20 +33

4 Manchester United 48 14 6 2 40 13 +27

5 Middlesbrough 40 11 7 4 27 18 + 9

6 Manchester City 37 10 7 5 30 24 + 6

7 Blackburn 34 9 7 6 34 28 + 6

8 Newcastle United 32 8 8 6 24 23 + 1

9 West Ham United 31 8 7 7 34 37 - 3

10 Charlton Athletic 28 7 7 8 31 33 - 2

11 Portsmouth 26 7 5 10 32 36 - 4

12 Sheffield United 26 7 5 10 20 25 - 5

13 Fulham 26 8 2 12 26 36 -10

14 Aston Villa 22 6 4 12 15 33 -18

15 Sunderland 20 4 8 10 19 31 -12

16 Crystal Palace 20 4 8 10 19 34 -15

17 Ipswich Town 19 5 4 13 16 36 -20

-----------------------------------------------------

18 Southampton 16 4 4 14 24 43 -19

19 Tottenham 14 3 5 14 25 47 -22

20 Bolton 9 1 6 15 13 42 -29</pre>

"We've still got a ten-point margin over relegation," Robinson continued, "And we love that you're still alive in the League Cup."

"Speaking of which," Derek Dooley interjected, "We wanted to speak with you about that."

I glanced from him to Robinson expectantly. Terry nodded. "Yes. Being American, you might not realize, but the winner of the League Cup qualifies for the UEFA Cup."

"That's a lot of television monies," Dooley added.

"There are only four teams left," Robinson continued. "And we beat Fulham earlier this season. Middlesbrough are obviously a challenge, but our first game with them was a one-goal game which either side could have won. Obviously, Arsenal would pose a problem in the Final, but we don't think they're going to play a full-strength lineup against Fulham."

They weren't telling me anything I didn't already know, but I could see where they were going. "So, you'd like me to play my full-strength lineup against Middlesbrough."

"Exactly," Terry said, and Derek was nodding in agreement as well.

"I'd already been planning to," I answered.

With that settled and out of the way, the discussion turned to the balance sheets. Counting the initial fee for the Rozenhal transfer (£1.6M) against the December balance sheet, we'd posted a loss of £1.0M, dropping our total profit for the season to £11.8M. Our balance had dipped just beneath twenty, at £19.4M, with £3.1M remaining in the transfer kitty if I could find a target in the open January transfer window.

If I couldn't find the right player, I was thinking I might content myself with bringing in two three-month loans: I hadn't taken a loan yet this season, and it had been a tactic I relied upon in my previous campaigns.

Friday, 2nd January, 2009.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With the addition of David Marek Rozenhal, a solid, experienced Premiership defender, something is going to have to give in the Blades' back line. Thus far this season, Ian Richards has been using a three-man rotation of Hayden Foxe, Steve Foster, and Ben Hammond. The captain's job is obviously safe, so this new signing is likely to replace one of the other two. Who that will be is anyone's guess: Foster had a poor few games in United's recent slump, and his contract is expiring in June, but he's obviously been Richards' first choice, and overall his performance has been better than the 19-year-old's this season.

Hammond, when interviewed, expressed dismay at the recent signing, but vowed to fight off the challenge of the new signing and retain his status as an integral member of the Sheffield United first team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was Gregory Tucker's article, and a well written one, in The Star yesterday morning. I responded for today's paper by refusing to comment whose job might be in jeapardy, dismissing the idea that we had too many quality central defenders, and stating that "I hope the competition for places will bring out the best in my current defenders."

Ben Hammond expressed his dismay in the evening paper, stating that he "Doesn't feel up to playing under so much pressure every week," and warned "the management of the club" that "things could go seriously wrong if this situation is allowed to continue."

I was spitting mad Friday night, and tempted to take disciplinary action for going public with a discussion which I felt should have been handled behind closed doors. Stuart McCall talked me out of it, and convinced me to declare the matter closed as far as I was concerned.

In other news, Mark Allen signed a new contract, keeping the pacey 17-year-old defender at Bramall Lane through 2011. We'd also arranged a free transfer for next summer, with attacking midfielder Bruno Cheyrou agreeing to join us from Bristol City.

Saturday, 3rd January, 2009. F.A. Cup - Third Round, at Darlington

A long-time Third Division club, Darlington had remained in the competition now known as League Two since 1992. In the past three seasons, they'd finished 6th, 22nd, and 14th, giving them experience with the playoffs and a relegation fight - experience they would need this season, as they were lingering well down the table in 21st. They hadn't won a match since the F.A. Cup Second Round back in November, and they would have numerous key players missing either through injury, suspension, or ineligibility. Their starting goalkeeper was our very own Nick McDonald, and he would be ineligible due to a clause in our loan contract with them. They also had Nicky Thomson on loan.

With the League Cup tie against Middlesbrough approaching, the majority of my starters were reserves and second-stringers. 17-year-old Adam Ryan would make his professional debut in goal. In defense, I had Danny Payne and Joe Keenan at the fullback positions, and on-the-bubble central defenders Ben Hammond and Steve Foster were paired in the middle. 16-year-old defensive midfielder Tim Barnes was making his professional debut as well, and would be the youngest player to appear for us this season. On the right wing, Darren Wrack would provide some experience, while star winger Stewart Downing should enjoy a field day on the left. The attacking midfield partnered Juan Carlos Valerón as the playmaker with Iain Hume, hot off of his first goal for us. Striker Sándor Torghelle would definitely outclass the Darlington defenders, and I hoped he could finally open his tally sheet for us.

One had to give credit to Darlington manager David Hodgson: he wasn't intimidated by the disparity in our League positions. He fielded a very attacking 4-3-3 - the same formation that had given his side the worst defense in League Two. Though we'd had a field day against similar formations with my quick counter-attack on the way up the leagues, it was definitely the home side who came out the gate strongest, keeping pressure on us throughout the first ten minutes.

They were helped by referee Nigel Miller, who was calling a strict game. Sándor Torghelle received a yellow card in the first minute for arguing a call, and Joe Keenan got one for a shirt tug in the fifth minute. When Torghelle was whistled for another foul, elbowing defender Martin Turner as they challenged for a header, he blew up at Miller. The referee would have been well within his rights to send him off, but gave him a firm warning. Remembering the red card the Hungarian had received on his debut, I immediately brought him off for Noel Hunt - less than 12 minutes gone, and I'd made my first substitute!

While I gave the Hungarian a verbal lesson about patience on the sideline, the lads got about the business of demonstrating that they were better than a League Two side. Just after the quarter-hour mark, Hunt set up Iain Hume on the eighteen, but the Canadian hooked his shot off the tee well wide of the net. Around the twenty-minute mark, Juan Carlos Valerón sliced through the defense with a flamboyant dribbled, then tried to pass laterally across the box for Hunt. He was twelve yards from goal as he swung his leg, but Darlington captain Issa Abdul Kadir was there with a great crunching tackle, bringing the Irishman to the turf but knocking the ball cleanly away. That may have rattled the big man, as he received a yellow card a few minutes later.

Just before the half hour mark, Iain Hume fed Hunt with a beautiful pass straight through the center. Hunt had position, and his shot was barely saved by 19-year-old Darlington keeper Paul Montgomery. His punt, however, went directly to Tim Barnes in the middle of the park, and less than twenty seconds later, Hume scored with a lovely 20-yard strike from the edge of the arc to put us ahead 1-0!

It remained that way through halftime, but the home side continued to pressure us, and only some fine positional defending by Steve Foster and Ben Hammond was keeping them at bay. The two under-fire central defenders each seemed determined to prove they belonged on the pitch, though their efforts were assisted by Darren Wrack's crucial tackle in the box after a Darlington corner. I made no changes, and by the early part of the second half, Wrack and Valerón had both picked up yellow cards as well. There seemed little I could do about that: I couldn't bring off all four of my cautioned players with only two subs left. Hume should have added a second goal in the 48th minute, but scuffed his left-footed shot after Keenan's cross into a crowded area.

It was still 1-0 at the hour mark, and Valerón was tiring. In the 65th minute, I brought him off, giving 20-year-old Phil Davidson his Sheffield United debut. Wrack continued to prove his worth, charging down Adam Alexander's shot from the top of the box in the 67th minute, but the home side was looking ever more dangerous. We'd let them linger with a chance, and the sold out crowd of 27,167 were urging their heroes on - they loved it when Ben Rix tried a spectacular half-volley from range, even if he did miss badly.

In the 72nd minute, Rix sent a great long ball for substitute striker Gary Gray. It was a real chance: he had slipped in behind Danny Payne, and had at least five yards on the fullback, with nobody else anywhere near. Young 'keeper Adam Ryan raced out to meet him, and made the one-on-one save about fifteen yards off his line. A Premier League striker might have chipped it over him, but Gray didn't have that sort of technical flair.

With fifteen minutes to go, I brought new signing David Marek Rozenhal on for his Blades debut. I pulled Keenan off, as he already had a yellow, and pushed Hammond out wide left. The Czech central defender played a solid game, demonstrating flawless positioning as he headed several aerial balls away from danger.

With the end drawing near, and only a goal down, Hodgson made a desperate roll of the dice, shifting to something I can only describe as a 2-3-5, though one of the midfielders was in a defensive midfield role. This, of course, left plenty of space exposed for our counterattack, and in the 87th minute Wrack found Hume with a low pass into the area. Hume had his shirt pulled halfway off by Adam Alexander, and it looked a sure penalty ..

.. but no! Though Miller gave Alexander a yellow, he set the ball right on the edge of the eighteen. Stewart Downing stepped up to take the free kick, but sailed it over.

Still, there was not enough creativity in the hosts' game to threaten Ryan's net, and the best chance in injury time came on our 5-on-3 breakaway. Wrack brought it skillfully up the right sideline, then sent a low pass for Hunt, who drew the last defender to him. With a fine pass, he picked out Davidson, who had a golden opportunity for a debut goal. He put it straight to Montgomery, however, and the deflection went to empty space, where Abdul Kadir was able to clear it away.

Moments later, the final whistle blew, and the home team were applauded off the pitch for their brave effort - but however ugly it was, we were through to the Fourth Round.

Darlington 0, Sheffield United 1

----; Hume 29

MoM: Hume

The lads were mostly in a fine space afterwards, especially Man of the Match Iain Hume, who has been on a real run of good form. I made sure to compliment the youngsters, Tim Barnes and Adam Ryan, as well.

Sándor Torghelle, on the other hand, felt aggrieved to have been pulled off so abruptly. I didn't know how to tell him I wasn't impressed with his attitude towards the referees so far. He'd only had one red card if four seasons with Crystal Palace, so I wasn't sure what was going on for him.

Considering he still hadn't broken his duck for us, it cemented my decision to pursue the Liverpool striker Spencer had recommended, and I tabled a formal bid before the end of the day.

Monday, 5th January, 2009.

There always seems to be at least one giant-killing in the F.A. Cup, and this year was no different - in fact, there were several. It was perhaps no surprise that Bolton lost, even to a Championship side like Gillingham. However, Aston Villa, still alive in the Champions League, suffered an embarrassing defeat to high-flying Championship leaders Leicester City. To be fair, the Villains didn't send out their strongest lineup, as manager Javier Clement clearly was worried about the cumulative effects of fixture congestion. Tottenham and Fulham, however, did not have that excuse, as they were downed by Championship sides Wolverhampton and Oldham Athletic, respectively. My favorite story, however, was of brave Gravesend and Northfleet, 6th in the Conference, who felled faltering Championship side Millwall, 2-0.

This morning Stuart and I gathered in the board room to watch the televised draw for the Fourth Round. I was glad to note that we'd drawn a home tie, and our opponent wasn't yet determined: we'd be facing whoever won the replay after Nottingham Forest'2 3-3 draw with Blackburn Rovers. I'd be rooting for Forest, as they're in the Championship, but with the replay to be held at the Premier League side's Ewood Park, it looked unlikely. What did seem clear was that, whichever side got through, we'd be facing a strong offense.

The mouth-watering tie of the Fourth Round would be Liverpool versus Manchester United, and I was a little disappointed that Gravesend and Northfleet weren't rewarded with a Premier League side: they'd deserved a Chelsea or an Arsenal for their efforts, and instead had drawn a home tie against Championship side Coventry City.

In news closer to home, I'd further strengthened our side with the addition of Tim Vincken, in from Feyenoord on a three month loan.

AM R Tim Vincken, 22, Holland, 22 Under-21 caps, 2 U-21 goals:

5 games, 0 goals, 0 assists with Feyenoord (Dutch 1st Division):

This young player shows some great polish and technique to his game already, despite his young age. He has a fabulous first touch, good passing, and skill with the ball at feet. I also really like his movement off the ball: his concentration and anticipation are first rate, and he's got the determination to battle on even when the chips are down. In some other ways he's a bit lacking, and worries about his strength and ability to handle the physical side of the English game would prevent me from bringing him in full-time.

With the injuries we'd suffered on the right side, however, I'd thought it prudent to bring him in. To my delight, I discovered one rules difference for Premier League sides: though I could only bring in a player on loan during the international transfer window, a player on loan from a foreign club didn't count against my loan limits.

Wednesday, 7th January, 2009. League Cup - Semi Final First Leg, vs Middlesbrough.

"I do wish you'd mentioned this on Saturday," I told Stuart with a shake of my head. I'd been planning on giving [b}David Marek Rozenhal[/b] his debut start in our League Cup semi-final against Middlesbrough. Stuart had only just informed me that he'd already played in the competition for Birmingham this season, and was therefore ineligible, cup-tied, for this match. "I'd have started him against Darlington, if you'd warned me."

It was the first of three games we'd play against Middlesbrough in a fifteen day period: they were our Premier League opponents for the upcoming weekend. The League Cup Semi-Final has a home-and-home format, with the aggregate score between both matches determining who wins the tie. Middlesbrough was currently fifth in the Premier League, well up from their fourteenth placing last season. They'd beaten us 1-0 the first time we'd faced them, but we'd been mired in a losing slump at the time, and I was confident our first team would give them a run for the money, especially at Bramall Lane.

I'd be missing Rozenhal, but, as my chairman had instructed, I had my first choice across the rest of the board. Allan McGregor was in goal, with Sean Dillon, Hayden Foxe, Steve Foster, and Keith McCormack across the back four. Matheiu Berson would marshal the midfield. On the left wing I'd chosen to start Jonathan Forte, telling Downing to stay focused on the League, but Victor Sikora would be on the right. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson was the playmaker, Joe Newell would play the sharpshooter, and our top scorer, Peter Weatherson, was up front.

A crowd of 32,973 packed Bramall Lane to cheer us on, their spirits lifted by the sunny day which had preceded our evening tie. Middlesbrough were sending their top lineup, in white shirts with dark red lettering to face our classic red-and-white striped kit. The two teams fenced cautiously in the opening exchanges, and it wasn't until the tenth minute, when Johan Elmander sent a dangerous cross into Allan McGregor's box, that either side had a clear chance. Captain Hayden Foxe was there, perfectly positioned to head it out. Franck Queudrue took the resulting corner kick, and ex-Bladesman Phil Jagielka met it with a powerful header which cannoned back off the crossbar - it was a real wake-up call for our defense.

They proved up to the challenge, and with typically solid positioning and hard work, they limited the visitors to long-range efforts for the rest of the first half. Up front, we weren't getting many chances, and it wasn't until the half-hour mark that Marc Bridge-Wilkinson forced the first save from Middlesbrough keeper Tim Wiese. The same attacker had a beautiful chance in space at the top of the arc on the 37th minute, but central defender Wilfred Bouma threw his body into the shot to knock it wide. The corner kick caromed around the box before bouncing out to Joe Newell at the top of the box. The 19-year-old drilled it back towards the far post, whistling his shot inches wide of the post.

It was still scoreless at halftime, and Boro began making some changes, putting on two subs at the half, and replacing Chris Riggott early in the second half when Peter Weatherson's crunching tackle left him writhing on the ground in pain. Later x-rays would show that he'd fractured his forearm upon hitting the ground, but at the time the visiting fans were screaming for a card: none was forthcoming. With another ninety minutes yet to come, and away goals meaningless in this competition, both teams were playing it very close to the vest, and there were few good chances for either side.

I started making my substitutions in the 65th minute, bringing on Sándor Torghelle for Weatherson, Danny Payne for Mathieu Berson, and giving Tim Vincken his debut in place of Newell, with 12 minutes left. That moved Sikora up into the attacking midfield role, but we still couldn't find a way to break through: eighty minutes came and went. An 87th minute corner kick looked promising, but Johan Elmander got back to break it up, and it looked like nil-nil would be the evening's result.

In the 89th minute, following a Middlesbrough throw-in along their left sideline, Queudrue managed to slip into the corner. Vincken was man-to-man on the winger, and partially blocked the cross, but it hung in the air over Elmander, with his back to goal at the eighteen. The Swedish forward threw his body backwards to unleash a breathtaking overhead kick, landing on his left shoulder as the ball arced into the top corner of the net.

It was the most fantastic, artistic goal I've ever had the privilege to witness, and for all that it had stunned McGregor, my defense, and the sold-out crowd, it was utterly worthy of the applause that followed, and ought to be considered the goal of the season.

With another match yet to follow, I wasn't going to throw players recklessly forward, and after three minutes of stoppage time, we'd reached the halfway point of the semi-final.

Sheffield United 0, Middlesbrough 1

----; Elmander 89

MoM: Elmander

What a goal!! Could there be any question? Johan Elmander was the obvious choice for Man of the Match.

In the changing room afterwards, I told the lads they'd played well, and had been terribly unlucky on the last goal. Only a magnificent individual effort had been able to break down their defense, and we'd just have to go out and win the second leg.

Friday, 9th January, 2009.

As though Elmander's wondergoal hadn't been enough, there was bad news waiting when I got into the office the next morning. Steve Foster had been limping a bit at the end of the match, and Tom Mitchell was in my office to give me the physio report. The central defender had twisted his ankle, and he'd miss the next two weeks of action at least. I was certainly glad we'd added Rozenhal: he'd fill in for the Premier League matches, but it meant that I'd have to start Ben Hammond in the second leg against Middlesbrough.

Darren Gibson had scored a mere 49 seconds into our Reserve match on Wednesday. The lads gave a dominant performance in the rain, but were unable to finish their chances, squandering numerous opportunities to put the match out of reach. That saw the host Birmingham Reserves come back with two late goals to beat them 2-1.

In Friday morning's papers, there was an article in which Middlesbrough manager Graeme Souness said he felt sympathy for me, knowing the magnitude of the task to keep the squad up - but that he wouldn't be doing me any favours in the weekend's game.

I scoffed it off, telling the press that I was reasonably confident our lads, sitting in 11th place with more than half the season gone, would be able to stave off the drop.

Saturday, 10th January, 2009, noon.

The striker I'd been in negotiations with Liverpool to sign was Frenchman Florent Sinama-Pongolle, and the deal was concluded Saturday morning. A hurried fax to the F.A. got him registered just in time for our Premier League rematch against Middlesbrough, and we got him fitted with a kit the same day.

S C Florent Sinama-Pongolle, 24, France, 1 cap, 0 goals:

6 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 7.17 with Liverpool:

The opportunity to secure the services of a cultured striker with 23 Premier League goals to his credit already was too tempting to pass up. The Frenchman is fast, with blistering pace and phenomenal stamina, and finishes moves with impeccable shooting from both in the box and long range. He has great technique, first touch, passing, and off the ball runs, and the composure and anticipation to make him a deadly striker.

He burst into prominence by scoring six goals for France at the 2001 European Under-16 Championship for France, and in the World Under-17 Championships later that year he set a record by scoring nine goals and was named Player of the Tournament as France won the title.

That sparked Gérard Houllier's interest, and he arranged to purchase both Sinama-Pongolle and Anthony Le Tallec in the summer of 2002. Then just 17 years of age, the diminutive Réunioniste fetched a transfer fee rumoured to be £3M.

He'd looked poised to have a breakout in the Premier League after netting 11 goals in the 2004/05 season, but had become steadily less important to Liverpool's plans as the side brought in other strikers, notably Edú and Jérémie Aliadière.

Spencer, however, was convinced that he had talent and unfulfilled potential, and despite my concerns about his age, he convinced me to splash the cash.

The £3.1M we had paid rivaled the club record we had just paid for David Rozehnal in defense, and pushed us well beyond anything the club had spent in a season before. I was betting it all, so to speak!

With the transfer announced at a press conference that same morning, I found myself answering reporter's questions less than two hours before the match as the lads prepared.

"Reports in this morning's Star said that Sándor Torghelle met with you, asking you to clarify his future at the club. He is reportedly unhappy that you're bringing in competition for his position. Can you confirm that report? And if so, what did you tell him?"

"Yes, Sándor and I met this morning when I learned we had finalized the deal. I understand his concern. There's no way I'm going to be able to keep four strikers happy in our one-striker formation, so I may find myself offloading one or two players in this transfer window."

"When will Sinama-Pongolle get his debut?"

"We're still hoping to get him registered in time for today's match; if we can get approval from the F.A., I hope to play him this afternoon."

Saturday, 10th January, 2009, Premier League - Game 23, vs Middlesbrough

For the second time in four days, we were facing the fifth place side in the Premier League. Though they're well out of touch with the leaders, 11 points back of fourth-placed Man U., Grame Souness's men had extended their unbeaten streak to 15 games with Johan Elmander's fabulous overhead kick to beat us 1-0.

The starting lineups were indicative of the different philosophies Souness and I approach the game with. Souness named almost the same lineup as he had mid-week, with Elmander front and center. There were wholesale changes in the Sheffield lineup, with nine players taking the pitch who hadn't started in the League Cup match. In net was Allan McGregor, and the addition of David Marek Rozenhal to Hayden Foxe in central defense meant his protection should be even stronger. Joe Keenan and Danny Payne were the fullbacks, with 17-year-old Steven White making his fifth start of the season at defensive midfield. Stewart Downing would provide some first-team quality on the left wing, while Dutch loanee Tim Vincken made his first start on the right. Iain Hume and Juan Carlos Valerón were partnered in the attacking midfield, while Florent Simana-Pongolle made his debut at striker.

The French signing electrified the crowd of 32,933 in the first minute, stealing the ball away from central defender Matthew Bates and taking off on a solo breakaway from the midfield stripe. He got as far as Tim Wiese's area before Sascha Riether recovered enough to put it out for a corner. Stewart Downing floated the corner to the back post, where Iain Hume had been drifting in from the eighteen. The Canadian drove a header just wide from nine yards out, and notice had been served that we weren't going to tamely concede just because the visitors had beaten us twice already this season.

In the 27th minute, Stewart Downing sent a low cross in from the left side, and Juan Carlos Valerón met it with a diving header. The Spaniard has a flair for the dramatic, and it would have been some goal, but he put it just wide of the far post.

Middlesbrough left wing Vratislav Gresko was giving Danny Payne fits along that sideline, and by the 30th minute the Slovakian international star had earned five corner kicks. With David Rozenhal and Hayden Foxe roaming the six, none had come to anything. At the other end, Sinama-Pongolle was showing great pace and motivation, which seemed to be earning him the instant respect of the Bramall Lane crowd, who surged to their feet every time he had it in possession.

In the 34th minute, he broke up the right wing to the line, and as he dribbled towards the near post, drawing defenders to him, he sent a low backpass towards the penalty spot. Perhaps at Liverpool that sort of creativity would have paid off, but none of our players read his intent, and Bates was able to clear. As halftime approached, Wiese saved Downing's wicked free kick from 21 yards out, and yet again a close match went to the intermission scoreless.

In the second half, Sinama-Pongolle continued to breathe fresh life into our offense. Just six minutes after the restart, Downing's pass to feet found him just outside the area, to the right of the arc. The Frenchman drove the most powerful shot of the season, but got a little under it and drilled it into the visiting stands with such force that it carried almost all the way up to the walkway.

He had another great chance on the hour mark when Tim Vincken played a long ball to space. The debutante clearly outpaced any of the Middlesbrough back four, chasing it down, then rounding the keeper with a beautiful move. He looked sure to score, but just as he shot a sliding Franck Queudrue got his foot in, saving the goal by conceding a corner. After all we'd done, it terrified me when Johan Elmander got possession just 12 yards from McGregor's goal, but the League Cup hero hit the side netting.

A steady diet of substitutions saw all three changes in for Middlesbrough, while Mike Flynn replaced Juan Carlos Valerón in our lineup, and Victor Sikora came on for Vincken. Eighty minutes were gone when Wilfred Bouma sent a header from the eighteen over the bar, and I signaled for my final change. Sinama-Pongolle came off to warm applause from the home crowd, while Noel Hunt replaced him with fresh legs.

With three minutes to go, Sikora and Steven White worked the right sideline off of a throw-in. Sikora whipped a cross for Stewart Downing at the far post, and he drilled a powerful header just over Wiese's net. With injury time looming, Welshman Mike Flynn tried his luck from 20 yards, but the sort of shot Newell and Bridge-Wilkinson love proved too much for the backup, and he put it wide, condemning the match to end in a scoreless draw.

Sheffield United 0, Middlesbrough 0

----; ----

MoM: McGregor

Not only had we played the top-five team even, but we'd had the better of the chances and were unlucky not to have found the net. The selection of Allan McGregor as Man of the Match seemed almost de rigeur.

Personally, I was quite happy with the debut performance of Florent Sinama-Pongolle, who had for eighty minutes looked more dangerous than Noel Hunt or Sándor Torghelle had at any point in the season.

Sunday, 11th January, 2009.

Imagine my surprise when I read The Star headline, the next day, and found Rupert Wormwood, for a change, writing an article complimentary of me and critical of somebody else!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Torghelle Apologizes Too Late?

Sándor Torghelle was clearly in an apologetic mood as he spoke to the media after yesterday's match. Perhaps the scintillating performance of new man Florent Sinama-Pongolle convinced Torghelle that if anybody was going to be on the transfer list, it would be the Hungarian, who has yet to find the net this season in any competition.

'Having given the matter some consideration,' he said, 'I now feel that my manager was right to strengthen the squad.'

Of course he was!

The current squad had reached the halfway point in the season 15th in scoring, with two strikers who had yet to find the net, and proving that they aren't Premier League quality. Manager Ian Richards was not only right to strengthen the squad, he had an obligation to the fans, the board, and the other players to do so.

When asked if he would warn or fine Torghelle, however, Richards replied, 'No, I consider the matter resolved.'

According to a source at the squad, it was a near-run thing: Assistant Manager Stuart McCall argued for an official warning, if not a fine.

The apology, however, will surely prove too little, too late, as Richards continues to seek a taker for the discontented Hungarian's salary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At Saltergate, our Under-18s battled Sheffield Wednesday U-18s, in the only renewal of the Steel City Derby we could expect this season. As befit such a rivalry, it was a hard-fought affair, and Wednesday was reduced to ten men in the 73rd minute when Chris Robertson was sent off. Neither side could find the net, however, and it ended in a scoreless draw.

Attacking midfielder Iain Hume was off to California to participate in the Gold Cup, and I jokingly told him to say hi to my Mom and Dad. With the tight-packed month we were facing, it was a bad time to be missing a key member of my rotation, but we'd have to make do.

His place on the practice pitch was taken by Chris Morgan, who had returned from his loan to Queen's Park Rangers, where the aging central defender had played exactly one competitive match. He's not likely to see more action here, with Rozehnal, Foxe, Foster, and Hammond ahead of him.

Wednesday, 14th January, 2009. Premier League - Game 24, at Manchester City.

It was just our luck to encounter another team on a strong run of form: City had a 13-game unbeaten streak in progress. They were currently sixth, occupying a European spot to the surprise of the many pundits who had publicly predicted mid-table obscurity for them, despite three consecutive seventh-place finishes in the league. Under manager Steve Bruce, they'd amassed a powerful offense, with James Beattie and Javi Guerrero knocking them in seemingly at will.

In our lineup, Allan McGregor was, of course, in goal. Left back Sean Dillon was wearing the captain's armband for the first time, as my usual captains, Foxe and Foster, were both off. Ben Hammond and David Marek Rozenhal were the central defense, with Keith McCormack at right back. Mathieu Berson was the defensive midifielder, and my first choice of Stewart Downing and Victor Sikora were on the wings. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson would be the playmaker, with 19-year-old Joe Newell as his partner, and Peter Weatherson was the lone striker.

If our offense had seemed to come alive against Middlesbrough, it was firing on all cylinders from the start of this one. In the fourth minute, Peter Weatherson and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson raced into the box together, 2-on-1 against Ian Murray and goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini, but Weatherson opted not to pass, and Murray tackled it away when he tried to round Cudicini. In the eighth minute, Bridge-Wilkinson took off on a long breakaway, but again Murray was the hero, making the tackle out wide of the box.

The City of Manchester Stadium crowd were sitting and quiet as we earned two corners in the 17th minute, forcing nearly three minutes of pressure around Cudicini's box, but nobody could find the telling shot. Though they'd had a few weak shots, it wasn't until the half hour mark that City had its first real chance, coming off a corner kick. Shaun Wright-Phillips, who had taken it, showed for Sylvain Distin, who had possession at the top of the 18. Distin's pass was directly to his feet, and the City captain let fly a great shot into the packed box. It was blocked by McCormack, and whistled inches wide of the near post after the deflection.

Eight minutes later, Bridge-Wilkinson knocked a beautiful long pass into the left-hand corner. Stewart Downing raced to keep it in bounds, catching it scant yards from the end-line. He sent his cross over Carlo Cudicini. Weatherson controlled it at the back post, and tapped it with his second touch while falling to the turf. The City crowd was stunned into silence, as we'd taken an unexpected 1-0 lead.

It could have been two-nil just minutes later, as Mathieu Berson's long ball sprang Bridge-Wilkinson through on goal. Cudicini made the one-on-one save, but Downing kept control of the rebound. His quick cross to Joe Newell gave the 19-year-old a perfect opportunity, as Cudicini had yet to get re-set, but Ludovic Magnin threw himself in front of the shot to deny the youngster.

I was quite pleased, heading to halftime: this was more like it! After the intermission, Javi Guerrero came close with a header, but Allan McGregor made a solid save. In the 54th minute, captain Sean Dillon's cross bounced loose in the City box. There was a mad scramble for it, but Cudicini dove on it just before Weatherson could put it home.

As the hour-mark came and went, City began to get more people involved in the attack. James Beattie tried his luck from the 18 after a corner, but Newell blocked it. Mathieu Berson was limping a bit, so I brought him off, putting Joe Keenan on in the defensive midfield role. He wasn't up to full intensity yet when, in the 65th minute, Guererro came oh-so-close with a header. McGregor made a diving save to push it away, but the rebound was straight to Shinji Ono. With McGregor on the ground, the Japanese international had a golden opportunity, but to my relief he blazed it over the bar.

It had been a scary moment, but spaces were really opening up in the City back line, and Bridge-Wilkinson grazed the bar with one shot, while Weatherson missed inches wide with another. With twenty minutes remaining, Wright-Phillips quick pass penetrated our perimeter, putting James Beattie into the box, but David Marek Rozenhal made a sliding tackle to deny him. The crowd was screaming for a penalty, but it was a great tackle, and referee Graham Poll waved 'play on'.

Steve Bruce made all three of his changes in the 73rd minute, bringing Beattie and Ono off and putting on Jon Macken and Gilberto. The Brazilian defensive midfielder was really getting forward. I countered with Tim Vincken for Downing, moving Victor Sikora to the left wing. In the 81st minute, Gilberto took a nice pace, and jinked around Rozenhal to shoot, but McGregor made a great save.

Everyone was getting involved in the City attack - at one point, both of their central defenders were on forward runs, but we couldn't capitalize, losing possession in midfield without getting it forward to Weatherson. In the 87th minute, Javi Guererro played a solid pass out for fullback Ludovic Magnin, who was racing up the left wing. His cross struck Keith McCormack, flipping high into the air but coming down about nine yards from goal. Gilberto connected with a diving header which just evaded McGregor's outstretched fingertips for a dramatic equalizer: it was 1-1 with three minutes to go.

The crowd of 36,003 were going absolutely crazy, and it looked certain City had extended their unbeaten run - but in injury time, we got off a 5-on-4 breakaway. There had to be somebody unmarked, and this time it was our number nine, Peter Weatherson. Newell picked him out with a low pass, and Weatherson fired from the arc...

.. but his shot didn't trouble Cudicini, who made a fine catch to prevent there from being a rebound.

Manchester City 1, Sheffield United 1

Gilberto 87; Weatherson 37

MoM: Cudicini (Man City GK)

It was a disappointing finish to a match it felt like we'd dominated. Though City had, in fact, taken more shots, we'd certainly been more of a threat to their goal than they to ours, and only a Man of the Match performance by goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini had kept us from scoring two or even three.

Still, the lads were upbeat, and on reflection, so was I: we'd weathered two matches against top-six teams and secured two points from them, which was better than we had any right to expect!

Friday, 16th January, 2009.

The Under-18 Cup quarter final was also Wednesday evening, against Newcastle U-18s. The first half was a great fight, with both teams creating chances and tackles flying around the place. Newcastle defender Les Holden was sent off for bringing down Darren Gibson in the 47th minute, and the ten-man side set up to defend. It was still scoreless after ninety minute, and remained that way through both halves of extra time, as our lads were unable to break down the determined defense. The match went to penalties, where goalkeeper Adam Ryan saved two en route to a 3-1 shootout win. Gareth Davies was named Man of the Match after a fine 120 minutes of work, and converting one of the three penalties.

It was definitely a split-squad day, as the Reserves also had a match. We didn't quite have enough full-time players to cover three matches, so a few amateurs were in the lineup, but Tom Baker, Phil Davidson, and John Melligan scored as the Sheffield Reserves beat Leeds Reserves 3-1, thanks in part to a missed penalty by visitors when the outcome was still in doubt. Phil Davidson was the Man of the Match, with either the final touch or the assist on all three of our goals.

Elsewhere, Blackburn had, as predicted, beaten Nottingham Forest, 3-0, which meant that they would be our F.A. Cup Fourth Round opponents. The F.A., in their infinite wisdom, decided to hold the game on only three days notice, displacing our away game to Bolton until Valentine's Day, and replacing its spot on the fixture list with a home tie against Rovers.

The big news Thursday morning was that Tottenham Hotspur had fired manager Jürgen Klinsmann. I found myself linked with the job - perhaps the media had gotten word of my prior application? - but I wasn't particularly interested. I had a solid team at Bramall Lane in a strong 12th place, eight points clear of relegation, while the White Hart Lane faithful were staring relegation in the face, four points behind Ipswich and safety with only 13 matches left on their schedule.

As I'd intimated might happen, I formally placed both Noel Hunt and Sándor Torghelle onto the transfer list. There was no particular interest in them.

Friday afternoon, Joe Newell fell and sprained his wrist during training. It would rule him out of both our upcoming Cup ties, and might even keep the young attacking midfielder out of our League match against Crystal Palace next weekend.

Saturday, 17th January, 2009. F.A. Cup - Fourth Round, vs Blackburn Rovers.

We continued to draw the second tier of Premier League teams, this time drawing seventh-placed Blackburn Rovers. We'd already faced them twice in the League, with a 1-1 draw in the first tie, and a 1-0 defeat in the home leg. They, at least, weren't on some extended winning streak - they'd won three of their last five, but it was nice to know that they'd struggled against Nottingham Forest. Starting keeper Brad Friedel was at the Gold Cup, which meant 21-year-old Craigh Gallagher would be in net, and though he'd kept a clean sheet in the replay against Forest, he is nowhere near as impressive as the American.

I named my 'B' lineup, resting the top guns for the League Cup second leg against Middlesbrough. Allan McGregor was in goal, with Hayden Foxe and David Marek Rozenhal in central defense, which should be a strong pairing. However, Joe Keenan and Danny Payne were the fullbacks, with Steven White at defensive midfield. Jonathan Forte and Tim Vincken were the wingers. Juan Carlos Valerón would take the playmaker role, with Welshman Mike Flynn making only his second start of the season alongside him, thanks to Newell's injury and Hume's international commitment. Noel Hunt was given his first start since November 5th against Cheltenham as the striker.

The Blackburn lineup looked exhausted after their packed January, including the Forest replay, and that seemed to be reflected in captain Paul Gallagher's first two shots, which were weak and well wide of the net. We, on the other hand, looked sharp and dangerous. Though left wing Andrea Gasbarroni was giving Danny Payne consistent trouble, the fullback was having a great game getting involved in the attack, and took a corner kick on the quarter-hour mark. The initial ball was cleared, but only as far as Steven White, who played it back to Payne on the left side. The fullback launched a cross for Noel Hunt in the six, and the big man's header struck the crossbar, rolling over it onto the roof of the net.

If that was a warning, Blackburn didn't heed it, as in the 27th minute Juan Carlos Valerón sprayed a ball out for left winger Jonathan Forte. The 22-year-old, who had led the team in assists last year, whipped it into the box, and Hunt's header from 10 yards redirected it back to the near post to give us a great 1-0 start.

That seemed to wake the visitors up, and in the 32nd minute, Jay McEveley sent a long ball ahead of Gasbarroni. He raced into the box, seemingly through on goal, but a slashing tackle by Danny Payne averted the danger. Kieron Dyer argued for a penalty, but to no avail. In the 40th minute, we had another corner kick, but this one was cleared, and Dyer launched another long ball for the speedy Gasbarroni. With Payne up to take the corner, there was nobody near the left wing, and he raced into the left corner, whipping the cross in for Paul Gallagher. Steven White proved he belonged at this level with perfect positioning to head it away - a fine job by the 17-year-old.

In the 43rd minute, referee Nigel Miller whistled a dubious foul on Hayden Foxe, who was accused of backing into Gallagher while they battled for an aerial ball. The resulting free kick was 30 yards out, but center back Brett Emerton, Foxe's regular partner in the Australian defense, fired it on net. It curled over the wall to find the top-right corner, and McGregor could do nothing but pluck it out of the net: it was 1-1 as we went to halftime.

I told the lads to continue doing what they were doing: we looked like the more dangerous side, with the exception of Gasbarroni, who would certainly tire at some point. Shortly after the restart, Valerón and Hunt were working their way up the left sideline when Hunt spotted Tim Vincken racing towards the box at the far sideline. He sent a long cross-field pass for the young Dutchman, who blasted it on target with his first touch while at full stride. It was quite impressive that he managed to put it on target, but even more impressive was the save of Chris Gallagher, who pushed it wide of the far post.

Not to be outshone, McGregor made an even better one at the far end. Blackburn had two minutes of solid pressure, starting with a long ball for Gasbarroni - of course - which McGregor came wide of his box to put out for a throw, showing great composure. After two minutes, however, it was David Marek Rozenhal who got out of position, leaving Paul Gallagher open in the box. Fullback Lucas Neill whipped it in for him, and the captain chested it down to fire from eight yards out. McGregor was magnificent, at full stretch to push it away, and he followed that up by scrambling onto the rebound before any of the blue-clad opposition could arrive.

McGregor made another great save minutes later to deny Gallagher from 14 yards, and I noticed that Rozenhal was hobbling, definitely favoring his left leg. At the ohter end, Vinken spotted Mike Flynn in the area with a bouncing pass. The Welshman tried a spinning half-volley with his right foot, but it was too tricky a move for the fairly pedestrian player, and he put it well over.

That gave me an opportunity to make the substitutions I'd been signaling for, and Rozenhal came off to see the physio, while Chris Morgan came on to make his first appearance of the season. Another veteran, Darren Wrack, replaced Vincken on the right wing, while John Melligan got a rare appearance, replacing Valerón so that I could keep the Spaniard fresh for the upcoming League Cup match.

Five minutes later, Mark Hughes made his first change, bringing the dangerous Gasbarroni off for Matt Jansen. In the 70th minute, Wrack had a beautiful chance, taking a free kick, spotted right on the eighteen and almost in the middle of the park. The crowd were on their feet, but he got it all wrong, lifting it over into the visiting stands.

Neither team was taking many chances in the closing minutes, and it looked certain to end in a draw and replay until the 87th minute, when Wrack was whistled for an innocuous offsides call. It looked a bad decision to me, and I could empathize with Chris Morgan when he began arguing the call. However, the veteran completely lost his cool when Nigel Miller showed him the yellow card. Ignoring the warning, and his captain Hayden Foxe shouting at him to calm down, he launched into a verbal tirade against Miller that could only be met with a red card.

As he trudged off to the boos of the home crowd, he had to know it would be his last appearance at Bramall Lane.

The visitors switched to a 4-2-4 to place some real pressure on us in the closing minutes, but I shifted Payne to central defense with Foxe, dropping Wrack to right back and Melligan to right wing, shouting orders to defend: we'd be full strength for the replay, and the important thing was not to concede.

It was a tense few minutes, but to my relief the final whistle blew before Blackburn could take advantage of Morgan's moment of madness.

Sheffield United 1, Blackburn 1

Hunt 27; Emerton 44

MoM: McGregor

I had sharp words for Chris Morgan afterwards, but I was pleased with the lads as a group. Allan McGregor, in particular, had acquitted himself well. We'd certainly shown we could play with, if not the best the Premier League could offer, at least we were an even match for the teams that were battling for European placings.

Sunday, 18th January, 2009.

I summoned Chris Morgan to my office the next morning. My temper had had a bit of time to cool off, but I still wanted to make a point to the entire club that arguing with the referee's call was not acceptable. I told him I was fining him a week's wages - not insignificant, on his salary - and he reacted in shock and anger, cussing me out and accusing me of trying to run him out of the club.

I told him he was already out of the club: he'd never play another match for me after the pair of outbursts.

In local news, a training accident at Bramall Lane injured the foot of promising goalkeeper Adam Ryan, which would keep him out for a week or two. That ruled him out of Sunday's Under-18 match in Liverpool, and reduced us to starting a 15-year-old amateur in goal. He was hopelessly outclassed by the Liverpool youth squad, and two penalties and a red card to our defenders didn't help matters: the final score should have been a lot worse than the 0-2 defeat wound up being, as our lads were saved only by the fact that the Liverpool youth couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn.

Word came in from California that Canada had lost their opening match, 2-0, to Brazil. Iain Hume had started on the right wing, but failed to impress despite playing all ninety minutes. In the odd Gold Cup format, where groups of three teams play two matches to determine who advances, that meant Canada would need a win or draw against Anguilla to move forward as the group's number two side.

Tuesday, 20th January, 2009.

Monday's news was even worse: defensive midfielder Steven White had torn a hamstring while running sprints. The lad had done quite well in the six matches since I'd made him a part of the rotation at the senior level, and I'd been expecting great things from him. He would have to go in for surgery, and that meant his season was over. At least I had time to look for a replacement in the twelve days before the transfer window closed!

John Melligan was also out for about a week, after twisting his knee during training. That only left me with three attacking midfielders beyond the youth corps, and it meant that some of my young attacking midfielders would at least be named on the bench for our upcoming matches.

I'd been frantically working the phones for the past week, trying to find teams that were willing to take my unwanted players off of my hands. Thus far, I'd had no luck.

Though there were no advances on the player front, I did finally find a new coach. John McLaughlin was a 45-year-old working for Partick Thistle, and he came recommended by fellow Scotsman Craig Shields, who had worked with him at a clinic a few years earlier. A slight amount of compensation to Partick - we had only £28k left in the transfer kitty, and this move cost me £9k of them - and we had finally found the coach to replace Scott Sellars.

I thanked Scott, who had been on a month-to-month contract until we could find his replacement, and told him I'd be happy to send a letter of recommendation to any prospective employer.

As expected, in Tuesday's Gold Cup match, Canada manhandled Anguilla, 3-1, to book their place in the knock-out rounds. Rob Friend scored two goals, one on an assist by our own Iain Hume.

For a League Cup Semi-Final, I doubt either side needed more motivation, but Graeme Souness tried to stir his side up in Tuesday's papers. He told the press that Middlesbrough are relishing the opportunity to test their skills against us, in what he hoped would be a cracking game.

I tried to keep it low-key, merely taking a moment to state that I thought Souness was doing a very good job at Middlesbrough, and that the Riverside Stadium fans were lucky to have him.

Wednesday, 21st January, 2009. League Cup - Semi-Final Second Leg, at Middlesbrough.

For the third time in fifteen days, we took the pitch against Middlesbrough. This would be the rubber match: they'd beaten us 1-0 in the first leg, and since this round of the competition is on aggregate goals, we'd need to score one to force extra time, or two to win outright. Against such a strong side, that didn't look too likely.

Nonetheless, I named my strongest squad. Allan McGregor was in great form in goal. Sean Dillon, Hayden Foxe, and Keith McCormack were joined by young Ben Hammond, as Foster was injured and Rozenhal cup-tied. Mathieu Berson manned the central midfield role, with Stewart Downing on the left wing and Victor Sikora on the right. In a rare pairing, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and Juan Carlos Valerón were on the field together, giving us an abundance of creativity in the attacking midfield. Leading scorer Peter Weatherson was making his sixteenth start of the season up front, eclipsing his total from last year.

It had been a subject of much discussion between Stuart McCall and I, how we wanted to start, but in the end I overruled his suggestion that we come out attacking from the get-go, and instead put the lads in the conservative counter-attack which had done well the first encounter. My players had other ideas. Less than 30 seconds into the match, Juan Carlos Valerón dribbled into the Middlesbrough area with space and a clear shot. Instead of taking the shot, he tried to get too creative, passing to Peter Weatherson, who was too close to goalkeeper Tim Wiese, and saw his shot saved.

In the second minute, Middlesbrough crowded players forward for a free kick, which was blocked by our wall. Weatherson picked up the rebound, and took off on a dribble up the left sideline. Running out of room, he squared it Stewart Downing overlapping centrally. Downing made Sascha Riether miss as he raced into the box, then slotted it back to the far post from the corner of the six to give us an early goal: a 1-0 lead, and even more important, evening the aggregate score at 1-1!

If we'd hoped that would silence the Riverside crowd of 33,588, we were mistaken: they were still in full voice as Keith McCormack's free kick in the fourth minute came to nothing. Franck Quedrue cleared with a long volley across to James Morrison on the right wing, and he played a delicous 40 yard ball over the top of the defense. Johan Elmander had slipped free of the mark of Ben Hammond, who was simply outclassed by the Swedish international. Unchallenged, Elmander raced into the box one-on-one. Allan McGregor stayed on his line, allowing Elmander to close to six yards as he lined up the shot, and the home crowd came to their feet as he laced it home, equalizizng the match at 1-1 and putting Middlesbrough ahead on aggregate.

The hosts weren't playing to defend their advantage, and forced a series of corners around the ten minute mark. The third in the succession was created when Jerko Leko tried a shot from range, which Stewart Downing blocked out. Vratislav Gresko lined up to take it, while Leko stationed himself on the near post. Gresko's ball was a low line drive, and Leko broke towards it, redirecting its flight with a nod of his head, his back to goal. He couldn't see to aim, but he had instinctive awareness of the box, and put it into the top corner right at the near post. The crowd were being treated to a goal-fest: 1-2 after just 12 minutes!

Obviously, I needed to do something, as we had to get two goals back, and now Middlesbrough looked ready to sit back and defend. I shouted orders that the lads could begin pushing forward, and asked them to slow the tempo down. At the 22nd minute mark, those instructions paid off, as Victor Sikora took a throw-in about fifteen yards from the opposition end-line on the right side. Keith McCormack trailed up behind him, and was unmarked when Sikora let him have it. With time to line up his cross, the 19-year-old drifted a beautiful floater into the six, where Peter Weatherson headed it home for the fourth goal of the game, clawing us back to 2-2.

Though we still trailed by a goal on aggregate, there was real hope now, as we held the away-goals advantage. However, Elmander's two goals against us, and the clear way in which he outclassed young Ben Hammond, caused trouble again in the 26th minute. This time, it came about as Gresko played a low pass for Benedict Vilakazi. Our defense paid altogether too much attention to Elmander, as Hayden Foxe and Mathieu Berson both drifted over to help Hammond out, leaving a huge space for Vilakazi. The South African closed to ten yards out, firing his shot just before Keith McCormack could get back to close the gap: for the third time today, the net bulged behind Allan McGregor, and Boro's 2-3 lead meant a 2-4 aggregate.

There was only half an hour gone, and the match looked nothing like my usual style, with five goals already in. The torrid pace couldn't continue, of course, and the teams began to settle down, with our shape holding solidly at the back, and Middlesbrough forcing us into a perimeter game with the occasional quick counter-attack against us.

Vilakazi's long ball for Vratislav Gresko late in the half wouldn't have been too dangerous, but the Slovakian veteran was able to win a corner off of McCormack when he tried to send a cross over. The resulting corner was only half cleared, and Morrison tracked it down on the Middlesbrough right sideline. He sent a long cross over for Gresko, the taker, who was unmarked in the box well wide of the far post. McCormack and Hammond overpursued, charging over to close him down, and their eagerness allowed him to cut a low ball to the right, past them to Vilakazi. Neither could recover to put a challenge on him, and the South African made the most of his opportunity, slamming it home from eight yards to make today's score 2-4! Worse, it gave the hosts a three-goal lead on aggregate going in to halftime, and I could see defeat written on my player's faces.

In a Cup match with a European place at stake, I had nothing to lose, and no reason - save perhaps babying McGregor's confidence - to worry about conceding another goal. I switched to the 3-5-2, taking Sean Dillon off and placing Noel Hunt on in his place, with orders to the lads to get involved in the attack at every opportunity. Graeme Souness had to know it was coming, and he brought his lads back into a defensive shell, collapsing to something which looked suspiciously like my own preferred 4-5-1, with Elmander alone up front to keep us honest. Where the first half had been full of golden opportunities, the second half saw few to none, and even though the lads dominated possession, they were unable to find a telling ball through the Middlesbrough defense.

With 12 minutes remaining, I conceded, bringing off the tiring Peter Weatherson for Joe Keenan, who would play the left back position as we returned to the 4-5-1. Valerón also gave way, for Mike Flynn, and the final minutes passed without any real threat from either side. The 2-4 final score dumped us out of the League Cup on a 2-5 aggregate, though the visiting supporters gave our lads a warm round of applause as they left the pitch.

Middlesbrough 4, Sheffield United 2

Elmander 4, Leko 12, Vilakazi 27, 44; Downing 2, Weatherson 22

MoM: Vilakazi (Middlesbrough AMC)

Middlesbrough 5, Sheffield United 2 (aggregate)

I couldn't remember any of my sides ever being involved in a match with a six-goal first half, but had to concede that the outcome hadn't been in doubt in the second. The two goals by Benedict Vilakazi had made sure of that.

I told the lads I was proud of their Cup run, and that now we'd be able to concentrate on the League. I hoped to start the same eleven, just about, against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Friday, 23rd January, 2009.

Just days after our defeat to Middlesbrough, they inexplicably sold goalkeeper Tim Wiese to Charlton Athletic. The £6.5M transfer fee would be nice, surely, but the 27-year-old German had been having a fantastic season, and was clearly a major part of the club's fine form in both Premier League and League Cup. I wondered what Graeme Souness had in mind: though he had eight keepers left on the books, they were all 20 or younger, and they had a combined experience of six competitive matches, none higher than the Conference North level.

Our Reserves, at least, had an improbable heroic finish against Nottingham Forest Reserves. Trailing 0-1 with seconds ticking away, Laurent Robert dribbled into the box, then sent a cross to substitute Chris Gray, who applied the finish at the far post to earn a 1-1 draw. Attacking midfielder Phil Davidson was named Man of the Match after a fabulous performance that just might earn him a look with the senior side, with our injury crisis at that position.

Saturday, 24th January, 2009. Premier League - Game 25, vs Crystal Palace.

With the League Cup defeat out of the way, we would return to Bramall Lane to renew our recent rivalry with Crystal Palace. The past six years, Palace had three times earned promotion from the Championship, and twice been relegated immediately back down. This season, trying to avoid the same fate, they had won only four matches, and were hovering at 17th, even with fellow former Championship side Ipswich. Though they'd swept the series with us both last year, and back in 2005, we had beaten them twice this season, 2-0 in a pre-season friendly, and 1-0 at Selhurst Park back in September. In good news for us, goalkeeper Gábor Király had strained his groin, and Palace were forced to start 20-year-old Michael Quinn, making just his second Premier League start - and he'd conceded five in his first attempt.

To face them, I had nearly my strongest lineup, save that the wingers who had put in such effort against Middlesbrough weren't really ready yet. Allan McGregor was disconsolate about his performance on Wednesday, and I hoped that if he could recover to earn a clean sheet against weaker opposition, it would help rebuild his confidence. Sean Dillon, Hayden Foxe, and Keith McCormack were joined by new central defender David Marek Rozenhal. Mathieu Berson was the defensive midfielder, while the wings were manned by second choice Jonathan Forte and loanee Tim Vincken. In the attacking midfield, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson was again partnered by Juan Carlos Valerón, though I would be surprised if both could last ninety minutes. Florent Sinama-Pongolle made his second start up front, and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do against the Palace defense, which was tied for fourth-worse in the League.

He certainly had fun - he forced a save from Palace keeper Michael Quinn in the first minute, but that seemed to get the youngster a small margin of confidence. In the 10th minute, Marc Bridge-Wilkinson tracked into the left corner, then sent a cross behind the leading edge of attackers for Mathieu Berson, who was unmarked while trailing the play. The Frenchman let fly a powerful shot from 16 yards that was blocked by fullback Nicky Hunt - that's the sort of ball that will leave a bruise tomorrow morning.

We continued to pressure them into the second quarter hour - Tim Vincken's low pass for the overlapping run of Keith McCormack put the fullback into the box, but by the time he tracked it down, he only had a tight angle. He tried it anyways, but sailed it high over the ball.

Juan Carlos Valerón was given a yellow card in the 23rd minute, but McCormack earned the ball right back, heading the free kick back upfield to Valerón. The Spaniard turned and saw the run of Florent Sinama-Pongolle, and he knocked a beautiful ball over the top. Sinama-Pongolle controlled it, and beat John Fletcher dribbling at pace to outstrip the rest of the five-man Palace back line. After a long run, he had a one-on-one with Quinn, and that was a mismatch if I've ever seen one: he hammered it home with ease for his first goal as a Blade. 1-0! The crowd, announced at 30,353, came to their feet to cheer, hoping, as I did, that it would be the first of many for his career.

In the 40th minute, Valerón fed Marc Bridge-Wilkinson in the arc. It was a golden chance, the sort he'd been banging home with aplomb before his injury in November, but he couldn't get enough on it to trouble Quinn this time. Still, it was a 1-0 lead against Palace, who hadn't managed to put a single shot on goal the entire first half. We were looking very good.

That lasted until the 54th minute, when fullback Peter Canero took a throw-in from the right sideline. Peter Hook's header at the corner of the eighteen knocked it past David Marek Rozenhal, and Alexï Smertin banged it past the sliding Hayden Foxe from 16 yards, beating Allan McGregor to the far post to equalize, 1-1.

I'd have thought that we would be able to recover from that, but after twenty minutes, we hadn't managed more than one shot, a fierce attempt which Bridge-Wilkinson had put well over the bar. Some changes were in order, and I brought Danny Payne on for Tim Vincken, pushing the versatile McCormack up to the right wing. Stewart Downing would replace Jonathan Forte on the left, only his second substitute appearance of the season, and Sándor Torghelle would try his hand in the attacking midfield, replacing Valerón. I told the lads to shift to our perimeter offense.

Still nothing. The eightieth minute passed, and then the 85th. The crowd was growing restless, as was I - as if pacing the touchline would impart my caged energy to the lads. Finally, in the 89th minute, we earned two corners in succession. The second one, Downing sent a low cross to McCormack at the near post, and he tried a flick on goal reminiscent of Jerko Leko's for Middlesbrough. Unfortunately, the youngster doesn't quite have Leko's polish, and he caught side netting.

Stoppage time was upon us, and again it was McCormack who looked dangerous, taking Sinama-Pongolle's pass up the right wing, and sending in the cross. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson hammered a spectacular volley on goal from the arc for the game-winner - but to his disbelieving eyes, 20-year-old Michael Quinn came up with the save, even holding on to it with Torghelle waiting to dispose of any rebound had he not.

Full time came all too quickly, and a draw was the result.

Sheffield United 1, Crystal Palace 1

Sinama-Pongolle 24; Smertin 54

MoM: Smertin (Palace DMC)

It had been a long, dreary stretch: what did we have, two wins since December, and one of those against lower-level Cup opposition? I was tired, and most of the lads were sitting dismally with their heads down. Where was the passion?

I couldn't really fault Allan McGregor for the problems we'd had with Middlesbrough, but in this match his defense had limited the opposition to a single shot on goal. He'd had only one save to make, and it had wound up in the back of the net. I had little sympathy for him, but to his credit he was walking the changing room, apologizing to the lads for letting them down.

Anvar - thank you! I'm glad it held your interest! And welcome to the sad, sad, world of one-match-a-day updates. icon_wink.gif

'deenn, you must mean 'keep up the good writing', 'cause I don't think I've given you guys a result in the last eight pages.

Monday, 26th January, 2008

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Another Unhappy Striker

Young Darren Gibson, who many regard as a potential star for Scotland, declared himself unhappy with the crowd of strikers between himself and a first-team place at Bramall Lane. Obviously, the addition of Florent Sinama-Pongolle, whose first goal helped the Blades to a 1-1 draw on Saturday, has excited the fans, but Gibson had been used to frequent action, at least off the bench. Its been since the 23rd of December since the 19-year-old made an appearance, and he's had only five since the end of September, primarily in games it appears Ian Richards expects his side to lose.

The 19-year-old said yesterday, "I believe I merit a place in Ian's first team, but I realize I might be forced to leave if the situation doesn't change." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I refused to comment, but did note that Sinama-Pongolle already had more goals - one - than any of my three unhappy strikers had before I made the decision to bring him in.

Playing their Gold Cup quarterfinal match at Giants Stadium, just south of New York City, Canada were upset by Honduras, 3-1. An own goal and a red card in the first half left them with lots of work to do, but Devin Johnston equalized in the 54th minute. No sooner had Canada manager Frank Yallop taken off Iain Hume, moving to a defensive box, than his side conceded two goals in rapid succession to make the final score, an embarrassing early exit. I wasn't too concerned - if anything, it meant that we might get Hume back earlier than expected, which should help out our campaign.

The biggest move of the mid-season transfer window was A.C. Milan signing 27-year-old Turkish forward Sanli Tuncay from Arsenal. He'd scored 13 in 27 matches thus far this season, putting him only three off of Alan Smith, who led all scorers with 16. However, a cheque for £39M proved too much for the Gunners to resist, and the Turk was off for Italy.

With the injury to Steven White creating a bit of a void at defensive midfielder, I recalled 19-year-old Steve Newton, who had been starting at York City. He'd been a key part of a squad that had climbed up to fourth in League One, and looked to be battling for promotion. He'd started 25 games, with 1 goal, 4 assists, and a solid 6.31 average rating. Unfortunately, I'd been letting him play Cup matches with York, so he'd be cup-tied against Blackburn.

Wednesday, 28th January, 2009. F.A. Cup - Fourth Round Replay, at Blackburn Rovers.

We'd played Blackburn three times already this season, with two 1-1 draws, including the first match of the Fourth Round, and suffered a 1-0 defeat in December. Their recent results, coupled with the ending of the hot streaks of Middlesbrough and Manchester City, had catapulted them up to fifth place in the Premier League, while we were holding steady in 12th. Not that league positions count in the F.A. Cup!

More likely to count was my weak lineup. Steve Harper was spelling McGregor in goal, as I hoped a bit of a rest to clear the mind might help my first-choice netminder. The defense saw David Marek Rozenhal joined by Joe Keenan, Danny Payne, and, wearing the captain's armband, Steve Foster, as I gave Foxe a rare night off. Youngster Gavin Atkinson made his first appearance of the season at defensive midfielder, which worried me as he doesn't really have the pace to compete with Blackburn's players. On the wings, Laurent Robert got his first start since September, while Graham Allen made his first start since straining his calf against Arsenal in December. Iain Hume had returned to the club and would be joining Mike Flynn in the attacking midfield. Noel Hunt, who had scored in the first Cup match against Blackburn, would be the striker.

It was raining sporadically, and had been for three days, when we took the pitch at Ewood Park, but the groundskeepers had done a fine job keeping the pitch in shape. Still, I was all too conscious of the weak lineup I'd fielded. There was a clear difference in attitude right from the start: Blackburn came with their first team and a clear mission to win, while our lads looked like they'd rather be inside, somewhere dry.

In the sixth minute Andrea Gasbarroni, again bedeviling Danny Payne with sheer pace, chased down a long ball in the left corner. His cross back to Matt Jansen on the eighteen looked a sure goal, but David Marek Rozenhal, who had hustled back, was impeccably positioned, and blocked the shot out. It merely staved off the inevitable, as Gasbarroni again made trouble in the eleventh minute. This time, he was out wide, marked by Graham Allen. He passed low to Jansen on the side of the box, and Payne slid in with an inch-perfect tackle. Unfortunately, he'd knocked it into space for Gasbarroni, who had left Allen in his dust. The Italian fired a fabulous striker to the far post from the side edge of the box, stunning the home fans as much as it did goalkeeper Steve Harper!

Less than 90 seconds later, Ivory Coast right winger Salomon Kalou knocked a superb ball into the right-hand corner for Peter O'Reilly. The 19-year-old, making his first start of the season, sent a cross in for Jansen, who had lost Steve Foster at the far post. The aging forward might be a far cry from his 23-goal season in 2000/01, but he hammered a wonderful volley back across the goalmouth to the near post to make it 0-2 - a two-minute double salvo from the home side that had the Ewood Park crowd of 24,684 delirious!

Their players weren't satisfied, and our midfield looked utterly unconnected: Atkinson seemed overwhelmed by the pace of the game; Allen was tentative, as though afraid of reinjuring himself; Robert looked utterly disinterested in the proceedings; Hume was jet-lagged, having arrived just the day before; and Flynn looked like he'd lost his stomach for the match after the opening salvo. Jansen nearly made it three with a free kick from the eighteen on the 20th minute, but though his shot beat the wall, it didn't beat the woodwork, cannoning back off the crossbar and into play. Blackburn kept it in play, and after a few seconds, it came back to Jansen, who shot again from the top of the box. Harper blocked the shot with his body, but it would still have trickled in had not Joe Keenan cleared it off the line.

Jansen's next effort from a free kick went over, so when Blackburn won another dangerous chance in the 27th minute, he left it for central defender Jay McEveley. The 23-year-old, in his fourth year as a starter for the Rovers, launched a curling left-footed shot from 30 yards to the far post, and it dipped in at the top corner for first goal of the season. It was an ugly 0-3, and only getting worse.

The outcome was already beyond doubt, but both the fans and the Blackburn players were thoroughly enjoying themselves. Kalou and O'Reilly connected on the right wing, with the same patter of play beating Keenan a second time. Rozenhal came rushing out, while Foster and Atkinson swarmed all over Jansen. That left a gap at the near post, which cultured midfielder Jermaine Jenas quietly slipped into. O'Reilly found him with a fine pass, and the unmarked Jenas had an easy finish from eight yards out. For O'Reilly, who'd earned the foul that led to McEveley's goal, it was his third assist of the match, a fine performance for the 19-year-old. 0-4, and only thirty minutes gone.

I'm not in the habit of making first-half changes, but we were being badly outplayed, and I felt I had to. Steve Harper hadn't even moved for the last shot, and I brought him off for Colin Hatton, who had turned 18 just two days earlier. Robert wasn't exerting himself at all, and I brought him off for determined veteran Darren Wrack, whom I could count on to at least put in the effort, even if he can't hold a candle to the Frenchman for God-given talent. Harper accepted it graciously, but Robert treated me to a venomous diatribe in French as he came to the sideline. For the second time in a week, I found myself writing a player out of my plans entirely.

Kieron Dyer could have made it five for the hosts with a volley from the top of the box shortly before the half, but he put it high. In first-half stoppage time, Noel Hunt - the Irishman, at least, was still trying - won an aerial ball, heading it out to Graham Allen on the right wing. Rather than dribbling up the sideline, as he likes to do when fit, he played it low for Iain Hume, who stroked a beautifully timed ball which let the run of Hunt break the offsides trap. Craig Gallagher came rushing out as Hunt entered the area, wide to the right of goal, and he squeezed off a chip over the young keeper. It would have been a spectacular goal, and would have struck a wonderful note for our pride, but the ball drifted wide of the post.

With a four-goal deficit, there was no point in David Marek Rozenhal risking injury, so I used my last change to bring him off in the 55th minute for young Jamie Cooper. The rain, which had been sporadic in the first half, began really coming down in the second half, and many supporters of both sides were already letting themselves out of the stadium when Steven Reid decided to test young Colin Hatton with a 30-yard free kick just after the hour mark. The youngster wasn't up to the challenge, and Reid's shot curled into bottom corner at the far post to make the final score an embarrassing 0-5.

Everyone involved, at that point, seemed to be playing to ensure that there were no injuries. Gasbarroni, O'Reilly, and Kalou came off for Blackburn - I was surprised that Mark Hughes chose the latter two rather than Jenas and Jansen, but everyone was being careful, and referee Martin Yerby played into it by signaling only sixty seconds of stoppage time. Nonetheless, an exhausted Iain Hume managed to pick up some sort of knock, and was limping as he came off for full time.

Blackburn 5, Sheffield United 0

Gasbarroni 11, Jansen 13, McEveley 27, Jenas 30, Reid 62; ----

MoM: Gasbarroni (Blackburn ML)

After one of the most comprehensive defeats of my tenure, I was not in the mood to speak to the lads, and in fact left the stadium directly without saying a word to anyone.

Thursday, 29th January, 2009.

I found Tom Mitchell's report on my desk the next day: Iain Hume had pulled his groin, and would require physiotherapy, consuming at least a month of his time. Mitchell thought perhaps he'd been overworked, having played five full matches in the last nineteen days, but however it had come to pass, we'd be missing his services.

I was glad Joe Newell was back after his sprained wrist, which at least gave us a direct replacement for Hume. Chris Sedgwick had also returned to full training after his broken arm, giving us some cover on the right wing.

The paper, of course, was damning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Time For a Change?

Though he has proven himself a promotion wizard, the Blades' recent run of poor form has finally revealed Ian Richards for what he is: an inexperienced junior manager out of his weight class in the Premiership.

Since their League Cup Quarter-Final win on the third of December, Sheffield United have played thirteen matches, with the following results:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">L 0-4 at Arsenal

D 0-0 Newcastle United

L 0-1 Blackburn

L 0-5 at Southampton

L 0-2 at Liverpool

W 2-0 Ipswich

W 1-0 at Darlington

L 0-1 Middlesbrough

D 0-0 Middlesbrough

D 1-1 at Manchester City

D 1-1 Blackburn

L 2-4 at Middlesbrough

D 1-1 Crystal Palace

L 0-5 at Blackburn</pre>

The results speak for themselves, convicting the accused without need for further argument.

Two wins, four draws, and seven defeats from thirteen matches?

More damning, perhaps, is the total goal tally: a mere 8 for the Blades against 25 conceded.

Defense, once a strength of the team, has been nonexistant, with two different goalkeepers each victimized for a five-spot.

Worse, Richards displayed a real contempt for one of England's great traditions in his squad selection for the F.A. Cup replay against Blackburn. He included just three players who have been regular starters this season. The five-nil pounding that ensued was all to predictable, and nothing more than he deserved.

The offense has been showing signs of life, admittedly, but with all four February fixtures on the road, including a trip to Stamford Bridge, expect the Blades' fortunes to get worse before they get better.

Chairman Derek Dooley has been a staunch supporter of Richards, but even he had to concede that the recent results haven't been acceptable.

"Its been a trying two months," he said, "But I have every confidence that Ian can turn it around."

He had better: just seven points separate the Blades from the drop, and should they slip much closer to the relegation battle, not even his powerful partisan on the board will be able to save the American. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Friday, 30th January, 2009.

It was a grim week, but I knew I'd done it to myself with my squad selection.

In an effort to deepen the squad a bit, I'd made a few transfer offers before the transfer window closed. Most of them were fairly minor upgrades, addressing weaknesses in the second team or third team:

D/DM RC Jackie McNamara, 35, Scotland, 33 caps, 0 goals:

41 games, 8 goals, 1 assist, 7.05 with Celtic (Scottish Premier) in 2007/08:

This veteran fullback was a long-time starter for Celtic, scoring 31 goals in thirteen seasons. Now in the twilight of his career, he'd been let go on a free by the Old Firm club, and hadn't found a side for the first half of this season. Still, his experience, determination, and understanding of the game might make up for his lack of pace and diminishing technical skills. I envisioned him playing sparingly at defensive midfield, letting me get out of the habit of playing my youngsters there.

DM C Sylvain Legwinski, 35, France, uncapped:

5 games, 0 goals, 6.40 with Nottingham Forest (Championship):

How frequently does a player go on loan from a Championship side, where he isn't seeing action, to the Premier League? Legwinski had five seasons of Premier League experience with Fulham, and, like McNamra, would bring determination and a great understanding of the game to the defensive midfield role. His pace and technique are even more degraded than the Scotsman's, and he's currently out for a week with a damaged elbow, but it seemed worth bringing him in on a three-month loan since I wasn't loaning in any other players.

AM R Jon Paul McGovern, 28, Scotland, uncapped:

2 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 5.50 with York (League One):

It was the second spell at Bramall Lane for the 28-year-old Scot. I'd really liked him at York during our two-season meteoric rise from the Conference to League One, a period in which he'd scored 5 goals and knocked in 15 assists. He was languishing on the bench now, however, with only two useless substitute appearances, and I was happy to get him out of that situation. For a mere £10k, he'd offer experience and depth for the right side, which might enable to me make good my threat to never play Laurent Robert again on the left. Still, he doesn't really have the ability to contribute at the Premier League level, and he'll languish on the bench here as well.

On the flip side, I'd had an offer from Leeds United to take Sándor Torghelle on loan for the next three months. They'd agreed to a recall clause, so I could bring him back if an injury crisis struck, and would cover 60% of his contract for the duration. It wasn't quite the sale I'd been hoping for, but it would keep the unhappy striker from disrupting training, and I was happy to see the back of him.

Just before the transfer deadline, Roma, determined to match A.C. Milan in the headlines of Gazetto dello Sport, splashed out £38M to sign attacking midfielder Arjen Robben away from Chelsea, where the pacey winger had made 13 assists for the season to date. In a tight title fight with Arsenal, it was surprising to see them concede talent for money, especially considering Roman Abramovich's obsession with winning.

Saturday, 31st January, 2009. Premier League - Game 26, vs Tottenham Hotspurs.

Our London-based opposition for the weekend was languishing in 19th place, without a manager, and were under the temporary guidance of Assistant Manager Martin Jol. They featured the worst defense in the Premier League, and looked bound for relegation unless they could work a miracle in their final eleven matches. It would help them a lot if that miracle could start against us, but we'd beaten them 2-0 in the first match, and were in the comfortable confines of Bramall Lane.

My starters had avoided the morale-sapping 5-0 defeat, and though I was still worried about Allan McGregor, he insisted he was ready to go. I let him start - it was his birthday, after all! Sean Dillon, captain Hayden Foxe, David Marek Rozehnal, and Keith McCormack would do their best in front of him. Mathieu Berson was the defensive midfielder, while Jonathan Forte and Victor Sikora started on the wings. Juan Carlos Valerón and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson were the playmakers, with Peter Weatherson at striker. I'd originally planned to start Sinama-Pongolle up front, but he bruised his chest in the pre-game warmups.

From the beginning, it was clear which side was the dominant one. Jol had his men arrayed fairly defensively right from the off, hoping to disrupt our play with hard tackling. It didn't seem to be working, and in the 5th minute Juan Carlos Valerón let loose with a wicked shot from over twenty yards, which was barely deflected wide by central defender Calum Davenport.

In the 13th minute, the Spaniard let fly again, this time a dipping curler from 25 yards out that forced a fingertip save from German goalkeeper André Zick at the near post. In the 19th minute, though, the first nail was driven into Tottenham's coffin when Jamie O'Hara brought Peter Weatherson down with a crunching tackle five yards from the eighteen. While Tom Mitchell trotted on to look at Weatherson, referee Steve Willis showed O'Hara a straight red card!

As the young midfielder trotted off to the jeers of the crowd, Martin Jol signaled to bring off striker Robbie Keane, shifting to a 4-4-1 that left Jermain Defoe all alone up top. Keane was already carrying a yellow, and I guessed Jol didn't want to chance seeing red a second time. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson took, but rather than shooting, he played it to Victor Sikora's feet. His shot from the eighteen was blocked by Argentinian Juan Carlos Mensequez.

By the 24th minute, Tottenham were clearly timewasting, trying to play the ball around their defensive four, accompanied by familiar taunts from our crowd. "Are you Wednesday in disguise?..." Sikora nipped in to force a turnover, and we were off on the counterattack. The Dutchman played it left to Valerón, who knocked a lovely ball forward to Weatherson at the corner of the arc. The 28-year-old striker demonstrated he was uninjured, striking it with fury from the eighteen to score his 12th of the season and put us ahead 1-0.

The crowd were still buzzing about that one in the 31st minute, when Petri Pasanen backed into Bridge-Wilkinson. Willis's decision to award a foul was a bit dubious, but Mathieu Berson stood over it in the center circle while our attackers laid out in the Tottenham area. Rather than launching an aerial ball into the teeth of the Tottenham defense, Berson played it right around the two-man wall to the unmarked Keith McCormack. The fullback was allowed to dribble twenty yards, and was still unchallenged when he chose to shoot from 25 yards out. It curled dangerously away from Zick, nestling into the netting at the top-left corner to make it 2-0!!

Incredible! It was the sort of strike I expected from my attacking midfielder - and for young McCormack, that magnificent goal was his first-ever for Sheffield United, and his first in the Premiership. What a way to open one's account!

Spurs had a chance to get one back on a free kick of their own in the 34th minute. Simon Davies's kick took a nasty deflection off of McCormack, which could have wrong-footed Allan McGregor easily, but the Scotsman recovered to smother it. Valerón continued to look dangerous in our attack, lining up a sure goal from 12 yards out before Menseguez tackled it out for a corner. We were still 2-0 up when the halftime whistle blew, and ten-man Tottenham really looked to have no idea how to get back into it. Jermain Defoe was having an absolutely torrid game up front, and was getting no real help from his midfield.

We started off the second half motivated to press for another, and it took Valerón less than a minute to send Weatherson into the box with a lovely through ball. The number nine was out wide to the right, but closed to a mere nine yards before firing. Zick made a fine save, but the rebound fell straight back to Weatherson, who fired it in again. A wonderful reflex save by Zick denied him a second time, and Neil French was able to clear the rebound before Bridge-Wilkinson could knock it into the open net. He put it out for a throw, which Sikora took on the right sideline. He dropped it off to Berson, who swung it left to Bridge-Wilkinson. Its a sign of how disorganized the Tottenham defense was that our greatest threat to score was left unmarked in the area, and he drilled a powerful shot to the far post. At 3-0, the outcome was surely beyond a doubt, and I hoped the goal would unblock Marc's long goalscoring drought.

It was all over, and it was clear that the visitors just wanted to pack it in and go home. I was amenable, and signaled my intentions in the 61st minute when I brought Weatherson off, letting 19-year-old Chris Gray make his Sheffield debut. Tottenham made a few changes of their own in response, and by the 70th minute all of our substitutions were complete. I'd brought off Bridge-Wilkinson and Sikora, both carrying yellows, for protection, replacing them with Phil Davidson and Tim Vincken, respectively.

From there, it was just a matter of playing out time - and making sure Allan McGregor got a clean sheet for his birthday. Our defense was determined that he would, and Tottenham didn't manage a single shot in the entire second half.

Sheffield United 3, Tottenham 0

Weatherson 24, McCormack 31, Bridge-Wilkinson 47; ----

MoM: McCormack

It was a great note to end the month on, the perfect thing to cleanse the foul taste of our Cup defeats from our palate as we focused on the final twelve games of our season. Keith McCormack's wondergoal had proved sufficient cause to give the 19-year-old Irishman the Man of the Match.

Congratulations were in order across the board, and somebody had brought a birthday cake, complete with candles and the day's final score, for Allan McGregor.

Sunday, 1st February, 2009.

"That was wonderful!" Derek Dooley exclaimed the next day, as I walked into the board room wearing my best suit.

"Just what we needed," Terry Robinson agreed, "A boost to the whole squad."

"Don't pay attention to the media," Dooley said. "Honestly. I'm delighted - heck, I'd've been happy if you'd had us where Ipswich Town are. Ten more points ought to see us safe and sound, and you've got a solid foundation in place for next year."

The board were especially happy that we hadn't dropped many points in the League despite the numerous Cup matches we'd endured. Oddly, though we'd played nine matches in a packed January, only four of them had been League ties, and we'd won one and drawn the others, which was good enough to hold on to 12th place.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Pts W D L GF GA GD GP

1 Arsenal 67 21 4 1 66 12 +54 (26)

2 Chelsea 66 21 3 2 58 14 +44 (26)

3 Liverpool 60 19 3 4 63 21 +42 (26)

4 Manchester United 55 16 7 4 47 18 +29 (27)

5 Middlesbrough 48 13 9 5 33 23 +10 (27)

6 Blackburn 45 12 9 6 41 30 +11 (27)

7 Manchester City 44 11 11 6 35 28 + 7 (28)

8 West Ham United 37 10 7 9 40 45 - 5 (26)

9 Charlton Athletic 36 9 9 9 39 36 + 3 (27)

10 Newcastle United 36 9 9 9 29 33 - 4 (27)

11 Portsmouth 35 9 8 11 41 45 - 4 (28)

12 Sheffield United 32 8 8 10 25 27 - 2 (28)

13 Fulham 32 10 2 15 36 48 -12 (27)

14 Aston Villa 27 7 6 15 16 38 -22 (28)

15 Southampton 25 7 4 17 34 55 -21 (28)

16 Ipswich Town 24 6 6 16 20 45 -25 (28)

17 Sunderland 23 4 11 12 25 41 -16 (27)

----------------------------------------------------------

18 Crystal Palace 22 4 10 13 25 46 -21 (27)

19 Tottenham 18 4 6 18 28 58 -30 (28)

20 Bolton 9 1 6 19 14 52 -38 (26)</pre>

Keith McCormack's performance for the month won him second place in the Premier League Young Player of the Month balloting, which was the only award we received for January.

Looking at the books, Terry was pleased to inform me that the gate receipts of £675,000 from the Blackburn F.A. Cup Fourth Round were a new club record, eclipsing the home tie against Manchester United four years earlier.

Despite that one nice payday, we'd lost £2.3M on the month, primarily in the down payments for David Marek Rozenhal and Florent Sinama-Pongolle. We were still showing a profit of £9.2M for the season, but spending my entire transfer budget had put a big dent in the television revenues we'd received at the start of the year. Still, the books showed a healthy balance at £16.8M, despite some increasing debt, as I'd purchased both Rozenhal and Sinama-Pongolle on a half-up-front, half-over-six-months basis.

With that, I went on a well-earned vacation: it felt like we'd had two matches a week for the last two months, and I was happy to take a few days off to see my wife.

Tuesday, 3rd February, 2009.

Escaping the cold weather, we slipped away to the south of France for a half-week at a Mediterranean resort and spa - Valentine's getaway in her mind, health and relaxation break in mine.

Stacy was, in particular, glad of an escape from the cold English winter: the quintessential desert daughter, she never has quite made the adjustment from the California warmth.

Despite the stressful run of recent matches, my cardiac recovery had been going very well, and I'd actually reached the point where mere speedwalking wasn't getting my heart rate up high enough to challenge me. I suppose I could have plateaued there, but instead, I decided to start running. By summer, I promised myself, I'd be in shape to take training with my players.

I've lost something like thirty pounds - not that I'd recommend "heart attack" to anybody who is considering losing some weight.

The highlight of the trip, in her mind, was subjecting me to a full-body mud bath, and the less said about that, the better.

I can still hear her laughing about it.

Back home, our dismantling of Spurs had put paid to Martin Jol's hopes of being named Tottenham manager. Instead, Joe Kinnear was awarded the post. I wished him luck: there is a lot of work to be done on that team, and relegation looks imminent.

In the international arena, Keith McCormack played all ninety minutes as Ireland Under-21s battled Germany U-21s to a 2-2 draw in a friendly. The young fullback continued his fine play, creating one of the Ireland goals.

Joe Newell also did quite well for England in their 2-1 win over Norway U-21s, and is making a real name for himself as a hard worker with real fire in his belly.

In other news, Port Vale may have felt that our Under-18 match against them on the 31st was decided by the officiating, but we'd been manhandling them, and even without the penalty would have had a solid lead by the time they were reduced to ten men. Winger Simon Blake had opened the scoring, and Tim Barnes converted from the spot. Defender Chris Holland added a third before a frustrated Matthew Chambers was sent off. Gareth Davies was named Man of the Match in the 3-0 victory.

Wednesday, 4th February, 2009.

Wednesday was a senior international date, and most national teams had a friendly of some sort scheduled. The biggest news back home, of course, was the England match: Manchester United forward Alan Smith scored the only goal as England beat Norway 1-0 in Oslo.

However, I was more interested in the four of our players who made international appearances:

Hayden Foxe played a dominant match as Australia beat Hong Kong 3-0 at Causeway Bay. He had the assist on Mark Viduka's goal which opened the scoring, and lasted 67 minutes before being substituted.

In Dublin, Ireland battled to a 1-1 draw with Germany. Noel Hunt came on as a substitute for the final twenty five minutes, earning his 13th international cap for the Irish, who had led at halftime before conceding the equalizer in the 53rd minute.

David Marek Rozehnal played well in a half-hour appearance as his ten-man Czech Republic side held Austria to a 0-0 draw despite the dismissal of Tomas Hübschman. Even a man down, the home side dominated proceedings, outshooting Austria 16-3, but were unable to find the winner.

In Switzerland, Sándor Torghelle made his 38th international appearance, playing well without truly excelling as Hungary beat Swizterland, 2-1.

There was one competitive set of fixtures which I cared about: the CONCACAF qualifiers. My birth nation, the U.S.A., got off to a solid start with a 3-1 away win over Honduras. Canada, bereft of the injured Iain Hume, did well enough at Edmonton against Trinidad & Tobago, with Devin Johnston netting twice in the first half to give them a 2-0 victory. Mexico and Jamaica fought a 1-1 draw in Mexico City.

Wednesday night, our Reserves beat Bolton Reserves, 3-1, at Saltergate. It was the first appearance in red and white for Jon Paul McGovern and Jackie McNamara, who came on as subs in the 62nd minute, and McGovern earned an assist on his noncompetitive debut. Mike Flynn won the Man of the Match honours for his third-minute goal. Fullback Danny Payne scored the second on a free kick, and youngster Paul Preston capped off the scoring after Bolton had clawed one back late.

Archived