[FM09] Dartford F.C. - Light at the End of the Tunnel

dafuge

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations mate. I live about 15 minutes from Princes Park, quality stadium for a team that far down the divisions. This was a really good read, an amazing feat, brilliant KIU

Although Princes Park sounds great in real life, it has caused me no ends of grief in this game :(

Switzerland - European Championship - 2028

We were fairly lucky getting to this tournament thanks to a generous playoff draw against Belarus, but we faced an uphill struggle as we were drawn in a group with Ireland, Portugal and Spain.

Things got off to a bad start weeks before the tournament started as star player Patrick Keil got injured playing for me in the CL final, almost definitely ruling him out of the group stage.

Switzerland vs Spain (group stage)

While we were not completely dominated, the class difference was obvious as poor defending accounted for all three goals.

Switzerland vs Ireland (group stage)

A fantastic win thanks to a brace from Fabian Kraus. Results elsewhere mean that Spain have already qualified, Ireland can't and we will play Portugal in a match to decide the other qualifying spot.

Portugal vs Switzerland (group stage)

Because of the goal difference, we had to beat them, a draw was no good. We started brightly but the Lopes goal killed us off completely, we just couldn't come back.

Final Group Table

I'm actually fairly pleased with this performance, I was expecting three big defeats.

International Career Overview

Season     Country       Competition                   Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2025       Brazil        Confederations Cup            Winners
2026       Brazil        FIFA World Cup                Winners
2027       Brazil        Copa America                  Quarter finalists
2028       Switzerland   European Championship         Group stage

Next Season

I'm going to wait for the verdict from the Swiss FA at the end of this tournament but I'm pretty certain I will quit and look for a new country to take to the next World Cup in 2030. The Poland job is available but I'm not interested in that.

just read all your updates dude. Makes me annoyed that I couldn't get into FM09. I tried hard, but couldn't achieve success at any capacity. Well done on finally getting the new stadium..!! Even though it will be 5 months late :(

Amazed at just how fast you moved up the divisions, and then the fact that you won the Prem at the 3rd attempts. Great stuff. Great read.

just read all your updates dude. Makes me annoyed that I couldn't get into FM09. I tried hard, but couldn't achieve success at any capacity. Well done on finally getting the new stadium..!! Even though it will be 5 months late :(

Amazed at just how fast you moved up the divisions, and then the fact that you won the Prem at the 3rd attempts. Great stuff. Great read.

This was second attempt at something like this (first is here), so I had a bit more experience which I think helped to get me there a bit faster, although there were a couple of big similarities. In both games I made easy work of League 1 and 2 (apart from two playoff losses) then got stuck in the Championship for 4/5 years. Something else you've pointed out which I've never noticed is that I won the PL in the third season in both games, weird.

haha, yeah, thats odd. I attempted your challenge on 3 occasions this year, and in my most recent, got to League 2 after about 8 or 9 seasons IIRC. The first two attempts, I don't even recall getting out of the Conference N/S

A great career you've got going here. Do you plan on carrying it on for a while, or are you looking to change clubs / games.

haha, yeah, thats odd. I attempted your challenge on 3 occasions this year, and in my most recent, got to League 2 after about 8 or 9 seasons IIRC. The first two attempts, I don't even recall getting out of the Conference N/S

A great career you've got going here. Do you plan on carrying it on for a while, or are you looking to change clubs / games.

I'm looking to get a few more seasons done with this game although I'll probably run out of time when FM10 is released. I got to 2060 with FM06 and I'd love to do something similar here if possible.

I'm yet to see any players through their whole career yet so I'd like to be able to do that, just a shame my youth system isn't really producing many decent players I could do it with. That's the big difference with this game compared to the last. With FCUM I had half my team come through my youth system, with Dartford I still haven't had a single player become a regular.

Dartford FC - Barclays Premier League - 2028/29

The season got off to a disastrous start as our new stadium was delayed.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a good start but then suffered a really bad run of draws that dropped us down to 4th and six points behind Man City. Luckily we regained our form and for the second half of the season we were playing some of the best football we have ever done. Man City started dropping points and we eventually claimed the title quite easily.

Community Shield - we were playing well and taking our chances, the scoreline was little flattering though.

UEFA Super Cup - same two teams and very nearly the same result.

Club World Cup - the goals took a while to come as we dominated them.

Carling Cup - this was a massive shock to get knocked out in the quarter finals since we had made the last four finals winning three of them. We were a bit unlucky and made a good attempt at coming back but we just couldn't.

FA Cup - Man City must hate us.

UEFA Champions League - a fantastic display as we dominated them.

Transfers - the squad was trimmed and a few players were loaned out. A 15 year old left back was the only signing.

Squad - the squad is seriously strong right now and I'm struggling to find any players that can improve it.

Key Player Profiles:

Oswaldo Even - our hero. Not quite reaching a goal a game but making the 50 mark is an achievement for him in his best season ever.

Jerome Russell - to score that many goals alongside Even is some achievement. Leeds must be gutted they let him go for just £5m.

Ryan Caddis - another highly productive season from our second star.

Steve Larkin - he eventually won the right back battle with Patrik Ahlqvist and had a stunning season.

Sean Forster - our youth goalie who I am hoping will one day replace Bannister. He also spent 3 months on loan at Burnley making 10 appearances.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009/10   Blue Square South        1st         BSS Champions, promoted
2010/11   Blue Square Premier      1st         BSP Champions, Setanta Shield and FA Trophy winners
2011/12   Coca-Cola League 2       2nd         Promoted
2012/13   Coca-Cola League 1       5th         Lost in playoff final
2013/14   Coca-Cola League 1       3rd         Lost in playoff final
2014/15   Coca-Cola League 1       2nd         Promoted
2015/16   Coca-Cola Championship   14th
2016/17   Coca-Cola Championship   5th         Lost in playoff semi
2017/18   Coca-Cola Championship   8th
2018/19   Coca-Cola Championship   2nd         Promoted
2019/20   Barclays Premier League  15th
2020/21   Barclays Premier League  7th         Carling Cup winners
2021/22   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions and Europa League winners
2022/23   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions
2023/24   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions and Champions League winners
2024/25   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2025/26   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions, World Club and CL winners
2026/27   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2027/28   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, World Club and CL winners

Next Season

I was worried we were going backwards half way through this season but if we carry on as we did in the second half we could have our best ever season next year.

The youth player progress is going slowly, Forster is looking good and Stevens is out on loan at Liverpool but Clements is pretty awful. Looks like I'm still going to have to wait to get a youth player capable of making the first team.

The new stadium is being filled regularly and although the board don't agree, I think an expansion would be good idea.

England - Confederations Cup - 2029

I must admit, I didn't even realise we were going to be in this competition when I took the job so it was a nice surprise to have a competition this summer.

Honduras vs England (group stage)

A dominant display yet a modest scoreline. Honduras were really lucky to avoid a hammering here, which could have been useful for us.

England vs Brazil (group stage)

This was a big one as we went up against the nation that sacked me a year ago. It was a highly eventful first half and a great result for us.

Japan vs England (group stage)

We had already qualified so a lot of players were rested, they still managed a decent result though. In hindsight, I had a chance to knock Brazil out of the tournament by 'losing' this match but I think we did the right thing.

Final Group Table

Quite pleased to top the group, we'll play USA in the semi final.

England vs USA (semi final)

Another solid display a another good result. This sets up what should be another great game against Brazil.

England vs Brazil (final)

It wasn't as good as our previous meeting but it was still an interesting match. We scored early thanks to a thunderbolt from Gavin Johnston, a player I had previously sold which was a big mistake. Brazil pushed hard late on and even their goalie managed a shot on target from a late corner but they just couldn't break us down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2029       England       Confederations Cup            Winners

Next Season

The England job was not one I was ever really that interested in but I intend to stay to try and take them to the World Cup next year before moving on. Qualification is still in our hands although a shock defeat to Turkey at Wembley means we are going to have to work hard for it.

The son is the one thing I want to happen more than anything else. Unfortunately it is the one thing I have no control over, it seems to be just down to luck. Every year I get excited when the new youth players arrive and every year I am disappointed when they are rubbish and have no sign of my son.

Dartford FC - Barclays Premier League - 2029/30

With a new stadium and years of dominance I was expecting another dominant season.

League Table

League Positions Graph

It looked like it would be the same old story with Man City taking advantage of the games in hand but we had a six game win-less streak which made things interesting. We lost our penultimate game which would have secured the title for us so the last day meant we needed just a draw away at Chelsea. We won 2-1 while Man City lost to West Ham.

Community Shield - pretty lucky to come away with the shield.

UEFA Super Cup - utterly dominant, poor finishing kept the scoreline respectable.

Club World Cup - another dominant display.

Carling Cup - with an early exit last year I wanted to make an impression this time, so when drawn against our biggest rivals I put out our strongest team. Things didn't work out as we lost a close game.

FA Cup - this was a huge shock as Championship Stoke knocked us out of the FA Cup. The first match was hugely one sided as we had 11 shots to their 1, the replay wasn't as one sided but we were still the better team. This ended our run of making five consecutive finals with four wins.

UEFA Champions League - Dartford vs Real Madrid for the third time in a row and the same result yet again. Things were far too easy for us yet again.

Transfers - a few unneeded players were sold for a massive profit. Clifford was a great wonderkid but with Caddis in the team and another younger wonderkid in his position that bid was just too good to turn down.

Squad - my efforts to introduce youth players are failing miserably, they are just not good enough. As a number of players reach their thirties I am starting to worry that they will not be replaced unless I get aggressive in the transfer market again.

Key Player Profiles:

Oswaldo Even - injuries ruled him out for a few weeks so he wasn't as prolific as usual.

Jerome Russell - like Even, he missed a few games but maintained his great goalscoring record.

Ryan Caddis - probably his greatest season yet, he is pure genius.

Nicolas Monaco - with the injuries to our best strikers Nicolas had the chance to shine once again.

Saifallah Zitouni - sadly I think this is the end of a legend. Zitouni has pretty much run this club for a number of years and we have suffered from a dip in his form. Along with Patrik Keil, I think he is an older player that may need replacing.

Career Overview

2010/11   Blue Square Premier      1st         BSP Champions, Setanta Shield and FA Trophy winners
2021/22   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions and Europa League winners
2023/24   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions and Champions League winners
2024/25   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2025/26   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions, World Club and CL winners
2026/27   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2027/28   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, Carling Cup, World Club and CL winners
2028/29   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, FA Cup, World Club and CL winners
2029/30   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, World Club and CL winners

Next Season

Despite seven consecutive PL/CL doubles, this was a disappointing season. The squad is starting to age and I just don't have the players to replace them. Drastic changes are needed and I need to decide whether to spend big or give the young players a chance to replace their mentors.

Superb News - I've been asking for it all season with no luck but this will take our capacity up to 65000.

England - World Cup - 2030

I took this job with the intention of qualifying for the World Cup in the USA (turnips ahoy!) and hopefully winning it. Qualification went fairly smoothly, although a defeat to Turkey at Wembley put a little bit of doubt in our minds.

The group draw put us with Chile, Japan and ... Turkey. It looks like an easy group but all three teams are capable of an upset.

Turkey vs England (group stage)

We had revenge on our minds but Turkey had the better start. In the end it took a very late goal to give us the result we deserved.

England vs Japan (group stage)

It looked like a shock was on the cards as we left it late to grab the win. This win secured qualification from the group.

Chile vs England (group stage)

We were already through but I wanted to keep the momentum going, I sent the best team out possible and two Dartford boys got the goals.

Final Group Table

Things went to plan and we meet Cameroon in the next round.

England vs Cameroon (2nd round)

We made really hard work of a game that should have been easy, we got the result in the end though. We draw Australia in the quarter final.

Australia vs England (quarter final)

It took a while but once the breakthrough came we were well in control. We meet hosts USA in the next round.

USA vs England (semi final)

We were missing five players but no one expected this. Following the match I resigned.

2030       England       FIFA World Cup                Semi finalists

Next Season

Following my resignation from England and after they had won the third placed playoff I got offered the chance to return, I rejected it. I applied for the Spanish, Argentinian and German jobs and jumped at the chance when Spain offered me the job.

My first task will be to qualify for Euro 2032, our qualification group looks fairly straight forward so I hope to improve on my last performance in the European Championships.

Just catching up with this. Wow, that is one painful result with England there Dafuge. :(

Regards,

C.

This makes things so much worse:

I wanted a job with France, Spain, Argentina or any other attractive sounding nation in with a chance of doing well in the World Cup.

I quit the Swiss job then went looking for my new nation, the only two options were England and Scotland :(

I applied for both and only one came back, England. Not my ideal job but the fact they haven't yet won a World Cup makes it an interesting prospect. I also don't need to worry too much about favouring my youth, the few I have are in the squads already and look like the natural successors to the older players in the team.

The qualifying group looks fairly decent so hopefully I can take them to a World Cup before moving on in two years time.

I then said this:

England are ranked 4th, Scotland are 1st, they also have Ryan Caddis.

Should be interesting, hopefully it will come down to a meeting at the World Cup.

Here was the final. Gutted :(

Wow. Football in the year 2030 is just wrong! :D

I'd probably have to give up FM for a week if that had just happened to me. :mad:

I remember managing England on FM07. I took them to a World Cup Semi-final and I was absolutely devastated to lose. Next up was the European Championships Qualifying campaign. Walked it without losing a single game. Went to the Championship and got beaten three times in the group stages! :eek: Of course, I immediately resigned through the shame of it. I couldn't play FM for at least a week afterwards! Knowing that I had blown my chance of winning something with England in my career was just awful.

Has that perhaps just made you even more depressed! Sorry. :p

Time to go and win something with Spain to make up for it!

Regards,

C.

Dartford FC - Barclays Premier League - 2030/31

Last season was a turning point for my team as some of the stars started to age and I needed to decide whether to replace them with big money stars or to go for youth from my own academy. I decided to go for youth in an attempt to bring a local feel to the side.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Same story as last season, Man City came out strong and led for a lot of the season but we eventually caught them up and left them for dead. The goal difference says it all, we were the best team in the league by a mile but we just couldn't seem to turn the draws into wins.

Community Shield - one advantage with getting knocked out last year is that we had an easy game here.

UEFA Super Cup - an easy victory.

Club World Cup - another easy victory.

Carling Cup - it has been three years since we have made a final in this competition so it was great to have such a convincing win.

FA Cup - it was a tough draw but it was a horrible loss in a game we really should have won.

UEFA Champions League - seven in a row have made this our competition but there was a twist in the tale this year. Semi leg 1 - a shock lucky defeat, I was still confident of going through though. Semi leg 2 - another shock lucky defeat, completely gutted.

Transfers - minimal transfers as youth was given the chance over big money signings. Possibly a mistake.

Squad - My transfer policy of previous years is just isn't working, by trying to replace ageing stars with talented youngsters over time I think we are actually failing.

Key Player Profiles:

Oswaldo Even - possibly his best season yet.

Jerome Russell - a step down from last season, which is a shame.

Ryan Caddis - another big player who's contribution has dropped.

Georgi Chernev - I was intent on bringing though a youth goalie but I signed this wonderkid who has real talent.

Ruben Dario Lunghitano - he's getting on a bit and he may want a new challenge in the future so he could be on his way out. This was a great way to end what could be his last game for the club.

Career Overview

2029/30   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, World Club and CL winners
2030/31   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, World Club and Carling Cup winners

Next Season

Not winning the Champions League was a massive blow to us this season. I'm going to be looking to spending a bit of money to make sure this doesn't happen again.

okeyy then, thanks for replying :)

If anything, I don't think it would benefit you. Throughout my career it has always been a case of finding the best players that fit my system, I'm not sure it would work for someone else since they did not create that system.

Spain - Euro 2032 Qualifying

After the huge disappointment with England it was time for a new challenge and it came in the form of Spain. I was expecting a world class team with a real chance of competing for major honours.

Squad

It was a long way off what I was expecting, defensively they were quite strong but they lacked any real fire power up front. On the positive side though, the squad features five of my former Dartford players, so I know we have a bit of strength even if it is not world class.

Qualifying Group

We had a shocker of a game at home to Norway which put our qualification in doubt but they managed to blow their lead by losing to Poland. As I expected, our strong defence saw us through but we are really going to need to score more goals if we are going to do anything at the tournament.

Dartford FC - Barclays Premier League - 2031/32

It might sound a bit silly, but not winning the Champions League last year was a disaster. After seven consecutive CL titles, going out in the semi finals was just not acceptable.

League Table

League Positions Graph

The league was pretty much the same old story. We took the lead, Man City overtook us when we lost form then we overtook them to win the title. This must be the 4th consecutive year that this has happened.

Community Shield - Arsenal are not the force they were, but this was still a good win.

Carling Cup - we were taking this seriously and got to the final without conceding a goal. Things just didn't go our way though.

FA Cup - bit of a shock as we got outplayed in the semi by struggling Newcastle.

UEFA Champions League - back to where we belong, with yet another convincing win over Real Madrid in the final. We got our revenge over Valencia as faced them in the group stage. If you think that draw against Ajax looks dodgy, it was, I quite enjoyed doing that.

Transfers - my plan to bring through the youth players clearly wasn't working so I went a bit crazy and splashed out some big money on some new players.

Squad - the age balance is not one I'm used to, with a number of players beyond their peak. I'm going to have to dump them and replace them at some point.

Key Player Profiles:

William Esposito - he was co-owned so came at a price but I couldn't resist signing this youngster. He plays in a weak position of ours so I'm hoping to make him a first team regular soon.

Marco Emonts - I've been trying to sign him for a while and eventually I gave in spending a whopping £75m on him. The price was extortionate but I badly needed a player in his position, AMC.

James Jacobs - signed to replace the ageing Zitouni, he struggled at first but soon settled in well. Cost £25m.

Nuno Real - I saw him as a proper left back, which we didn't have. Can't say he's set the world alight. Cost £20m.

Harrison Uzoma - my scout raved about him and he seemed to have good attributes in the right places. £35.5m was a bit much for a backup striker but he has been pretty decent.

Ryan Caddis - possibly his worst season for a while, but he's still quality.

Oswaldo Even - he breaks the goal a game barrier for the first time in a superb season.

Georgi Chernev - I'd not seen a wonderkid goalie before, so I am amazed at how good he is. His value is astonishing.

Career Overview

2030/31   Barclays Premier League  1st         PL champions, World Club and Carling Cup winners
2031/32   Barclays Premier League  1st         Premier League champions and Champions League winners

Next Season

Honestly, I'm not sure what to aim for. Retaining the CL would be great, but I really want to set myself a new challenge, like building the youth team. The problem with that is that it almost failed us, it is a difficult situation.

Spain - European Championships - 2032

Qualification was fairly simple, but the home defeat to Norway came as a bit of a blow. Luckily they lost away in Poland which sent us through.

Spain vs Austria (group stage)

This should have been the easy game but we were pretty awful in a dire game.

Holland vs Spain (group stage)

It looked like yet another dull game but it had a twist. Thankfully the results elsewhere mean a win against Sweden will see us through.

Spain vs Sweden (group stage)

Shocking. We blew our chance with the penalty but we still should have won this one.

Final Group Table

I thought it would be an easy group but it was far from it. Following the last match I was quite rightly sacked, I would have resigned anyway.

2030       England       FIFA World Cup                Semi finalists
2032       Spain         European Championship         Group stage

Next Season

It seems that the European Championship is my bogey tournament. Immediately after this tournament ends I will be looking for a new job.

Congratulations on the career! How many hours is this save? How do you find so much time to play it?

It is on 21 days at the moment. This game has been played during the quiet part of the year for me which includes a 6 week holiday from work, unfortunately it will probably grind to a halt next month.

After my time with Spain ended in disaster, I have found myself out of an international job for some time. My ideal job in France became available so I applied but I was surprisingly unsuccessful as they opted for the Romanian Lyon manager instead. I then got offered the Holland job, which I turned down as it was not quite what I was looking for.

Then this turned up :cool:

Qualification for the World Cup looks an almost impossible task so my main aim is a reasonable performance in the 2033 Gold Cup.

The squad looks utterly terrible, but at least we have enough real players.

Nice challenge for you there Dafuge! Good luck.

It's certainly going to be different for me. I have 3 or 4 players who are PL/CCC standard but the rest of them are mostly L2/BS standard. Should be quite nice playing as the underdog once again.

Dafuge, which countries do you load all players from? Fm 2009 dosen't work on my computer so I'm on 08 and can't use the DDT.

I just load all the English leagues and use a ddt file to retain the players from the three feeder league to the BSN/S, I don't retain any other players.

Quality career you've had. Are you using facegen in your manager photo? as I didnt know that was possible.

Any plans to leave Dartford?

I've just added a manager picture using one of the images provided by duccio in this thread.

No plans at all to leave Dartford, this will be played out at just the one club.

Jamaica - World Cup 2034 Qualifying

This was the situation I faced in qualifying, it really did look like mission impossible.

Trinidad & Tobago vs Jamaica

In my first game in charge we had a great result in a match we deserved to win. Considering this lot beat us at home this was a great turnaround.

Jamaica vs Panama

They beat us 4-0 away so this was a fantastic result in a freakishly even game.

Costa Rica vs Jamaica

We went into this game needing a win to secure qualification to the next phase. Things looked good early on as we took a shock lead but as we desperately tried to hang on, they took control and lead the game. We came back strong but a late goal put our qualification in the balance. Things really went our way as this result came in from Panama City, it meant that a draw was enough.

Second Phase Group Table

The turnaround was something special as we went from three defeats to two wins and a draw. There's no doubt that we were very lucky, but I honestly though that we were the best team in this group.

Phase 3 qualification looks like this. I'm expecting to beat El Salvador and Honduras and to lose to USA and Mexico, so this is really looking like a two way battle for the last automatic spot, with a playoff game against the South Americans for the loser.

I think I really need to get the results against Costa Rica, I really don't fancy my chances going against a South American team.

I love that qualification, came so close with Canada only to be stuffed by Peru, you will need to stay away from that play-off.

Archived