One touch football - can it work?

I'm managing Arsenal and i'd like to play in a similar way tacticwise. Quick short passes and free flowing attack. The ball should move quickly in our own rows from player to player. Ideally this leads to one touch football where every player passes the ball on immediately.

However, all tactics i created and tried (especially the "beautiful football") didn't quite work. I always end up in the low midfield of the table. Problems are especially low ball possession, creating clearcut chances but just not scoring and often loosing when playing away.

Since a quick passing style in the game necessarily seems to lead to very low ball possession (also at home) i'm wondering if such a tactic can work at all? Is a very quick passing style a no-go in FM09 even for top teams?

no you can play one touch football, but you must require good passers of the ball. Like arsenal.

settings.

passing - 1

tempo - 17-20

time wasting - 5

width - 15-20

that is fast, one touch football ;)

no you can play one touch football, but you must require good passers of the ball. Like arsenal.

settings.

passing - 1

tempo - 17-20

time wasting - 5

width - 15-20

I'd recommend a narrow pitch so that the passes have less distance to travel.

Not just good passers; they need to have excellent mental attributes - decisions, anticipation, off the ball etc.

Tempo - 20

Timewasting - 1

Passing Style - 1

D Line - 20

Closing Down - 5

Width - 5

Reasons:

Having a high tempo and short passing style will means that your players will pass the ball quickly and play shorter passes. Also having low timewasting means the ballers will disperse the ball as quickly as possible but this could result in pass completion lowering.

Having a high D-line means defenders can become more involved in the passing as they'e higher up the field and having a narrow width (and a narrow pitch) will give the player with the ball more short passing options.

Because of the high tempo employing too much closing down will result in the players becoming fatigued which will make there performance levels drop and making them becoming prone to injuries. So you'll have to use low closing down.

Statistic Results:

Possession - 50-50: You will lose the ball a lot due to high tempo and low timewasting and it'll take longer to win the ball back because of low timewasting.

Pass Completion - 70%: Your pass completion will be average as your playing short passes which means it'll go up but because of low timewasting you'll lose the ball more.

Shots on Target - less than half of your total shots: High tempo and low timewasting means that the players will take less time over a shot resulting in less shots on target.

There are many negatives in using this tactic and the results wont be brilliant but it's all about the football being played. And if you manage to pull together a world class team with high passing and creativty attributes then the football can be magical and brilliant to watch.

Interesting considerations TigerJoe. You will need fast defenders and play the offside trap with such a high D Line. Probably heighten the timewasting to 10-15 could save you some possession and lead to better results? However your comment sounds like your giving away a lot (shots on target, possession, defensive stability) when playing too fast even with a worldclass team. One needs to be a lot better than the opponents to do that just for aesthetics, basically

i made a perfect tactic and it made me beat tottenham 5-1 and united 3-0 and all goals were scored in the first half.

Heres what i did:

Time wasting:14

closing down:15

passing:2

tempo:11

width:14

All players ave short passing except for my 2 cms, one is a playmaker with HUB and Free Role.

While the other is like the iniesta type,more going forward to break the opposition.

And then theres my pure destroyer dm.

My wingers have high creative freedom and one of them has free role,while my striker is of the fast type that can run with the ball.

Then the most important thing you have to do is to make the mentalities as the following:

wingers:12

striker:15

MC'S:12

DM:10

FB:12

CB:8

I am planning on posting the tactic in about 30 mins so please tell me whats your view on it, also both cms have high creative freedom.

Even two touch football is very fast in the modern game. Make sure all of your players have passing options when doing this, or you will misplace lots of short passes because they have to be too precise to find a player.

I would actually lower the mentality of your striker so that he can drop and be involved in passing triangles and 'give and go's'.

I believe the key to this tactic is passing options, and players having excellent mental and passing attributes to pull it off.

Also remember, IRL, sometimes teams like Arsenal play a slow, slow, quick style against opponents who have come to 'park the bus'. This means they aim to retain possession, until they can prise open the opposition defence with a brilliant through ball, or quick passing triangle. In FM this means you might have to lower the tempo and increase the width at home, or you will lose the ball too trying to play 1 tough stuff through the middle of packed defences.

settings.

passing - 1

tempo - 17-20

time wasting - 5

width - 15-20

i have had my team set up like that for about three seasons, i havent lost a league match for over two seasons, so yes it can work!

It goes without saying that you need some very good players.

i would recommend having a high defensive line.

i tried something like this, but can someone tell me if making RWB setting for all players on rarely?

i was set up with an attacking 442, with wingers in the aml/r positions.

i gave my wingers high creative freedom and rwb- this helps to generate a bit of the unexpected

i would let anyone cross the ball often though

Interesting considerations TigerJoe. You will need fast defenders and play the offside trap with such a high D Line. Probably heighten the timewasting to 10-15 could save you some possession and lead to better results? However your comment sounds like your giving away a lot (shots on target, possession, defensive stability) when playing too fast even with a worldclass team. One needs to be a lot better than the opponents to do that just for aesthetics, basically

Highering timewasting would boost pass completion, shots on target and possession but would change the way the football is played.

i was set up with an attacking 442, with wingers in the aml/r positions.

i gave my wingers high creative freedom and rwb- this helps to generate a bit of the unexpected

i would let anyone cross the ball often though

So it's a 4222, counter attacking tactic?

I am always under the impression that so called one touch, fast tempo football is basically counter attacking where you win possession, then two or three passes later put the forwards through with a killer ball. Basically you don't have much choice but to give up possession numbers if you choose to play thsi way. The AI is masterful at closing down in the midfield so it's very hard, almost impossible to set up your tactic in a Barca/Arsenal style where you keep passing rings around the opposition.

I think having a 4 man diamond midfield would help. When I've played like this there's always an available man, wingers usually have limited passing options, so if you want to play one touch, they'll only have one or two options maybe.

So it's a 4222, counter attacking tactic?

I am always under the impression that so called one touch, fast tempo football is basically counter attacking where you win possession, then two or three passes later put the forwards through with a killer ball. Basically you don't have much choice but to give up possession numbers if you choose to play thsi way. The AI is masterful at closing down in the midfield so it's very hard, almost impossible to set up your tactic in a Barca/Arsenal style where you keep passing rings around the opposition.

it is not a counter attacking approach. The majority of play is in the apponents half, the tactic is more about constant pressure.

the lack of counter attacking is one of the drawbacks for me, visually at least

I have some of the best quick forwards in the game (agureo, torres, bojan etc), but I rarely see them use their pace, things are compressed in the opponents half and there is therfore less space to run into. Conversely I found Dean Ashton (slow striker) did v well with this tactic, because his lack of pace was not an issue.

It's that magical football I'm after. My players, well at least midfield and attack, are technically up to the task (good first touch and off the ball stats). And still I didn't succeed to set up a tactic that does create such a magical style of play. Is anybody willing to share his tactic as a starting point which then could be discussed and improved as far as possible?

Here's my barca one touch football tactic.. Made me win at home against MArseille with 7-0. Only tried it with barca because they had great passers.. Won the league.. and I don't remember how it went in the champions league, but I think I won it too... I got the save left tho, but im to tired to check it out. I had one signing.. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (because I'm a swede), and I actually sold both etoo and Hleb hehe...

The LINK:

http://www.zshare.net/download/6344374498d00f9a/

Feedback would be nice :-D

Here's my barca one touch football tactic.. Made me win at home against MArseille with 7-0. Only tried it with barca because they had great passers.. Won the league.. and I don't remember how it went in the champions league, but I think I won it too... I got the save left tho, but im to tired to check it out. I had one signing.. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (because I'm a swede), and I actually sold both etoo and Hleb hehe...

The LINK:

http://www.zshare.net/download/6344374498d00f9a/

Feedback would be nice :-D

Looks nice! :)

I'll have a go.

ps. FMS-användare va? :p använde din taktik förut på fms, den med _massa_ pilar.

Looks nice! :)

I'll have a go.

ps. FMS-användare va? :p använde din taktik förut på fms, den med _massa_ pilar.

Okey...

Short swedish message - sorry:

Haha.. men den är ju femtioelva gånger bättre, en så kallad diablo.. en djävla skillnad.: detta är bara ett försök jag gjorde för längesen, tror bara den funkar med riktigt bra lag. Finns ju inga sådana där invincible taktiker nå mera.

I got really surprised today, because in my Man City save I have been playing really good And I should lead the league, but Arsenal is leading and Have won every match, they are up to 85 points after 29 games, and that means 28 wins and one lost game, against me. So I looked up this tac grab thing, and Guess what, arsenal was playing one touch football (passing 1, Tempo 18). What surprised me the most was that they dont have the players to play one touch, but still they do (Im in the year 2015, so they played a total different midfield only fabregas with passing over 16.)

I havent tried their tactic myself, but I sure will.

If they've used that tactic for a long time then the players will have adapted really well to the tactic and will not need perfect attributes to make the tactic effective.

Yeah, had that in mind too, but they have won the league now. Only Loosing one game, all other victories. The game becomes kind a boring when a AI team is dominating so much. I played against them once again in the Cl final, losing 5-0, after they defeated Juventus in the semis with 7-1 in total.. And my team should at least play a tie, or maybe loose in a tight game; Not 5-0.

Okey.. I have tweaked the super tactic Arsenal uses in my 2017 save. And Boy, its working like a sharm with my arsenal team. I'm leading the premiership and I have saved som PKM matches that you can download below. Its pretty amazing result. Defeating Man U with 4-1 (but they didnt have ROnaldo or Tevez because its a tweaked database by some german guy). And another victory with 5-2. The football is very entertaining if you ask me, and It looks like arsenal on television. Here's the PKM. Maybe I will upload the tactic if there are any interests:

http://www.zshare.net/download/639746649fb0aab4/

One touch football has nothing to do with Passing Style. Get that out of your head straight away.

One touch football is premised upon three tactical instructions: Tempo, Creative Freedom and Time Wasting. It is premised upon the following player attributes: Anticipation, Composure, Creativity and Technique.

Passing style will only inhibit natural choices or ideal targets. If you play a narrow formation then your players should already have the mental ability to play it short and quick, likewise if you play wide then your players should be able to spot, attempt and hit the wide target. Messing around with passing style while aiming for one touch football will only help when your players are composed and stupid, which probably means your entire short passing strategy is fail anyway.

One touch football has nothing to do with Passing Style. Get that out of your head straight away.

One touch football is premised upon three tactical instructions: Tempo, Creative Freedom and Time Wasting. It is premised upon the following player attributes: Anticipation, Composure, Creativity and Technique.

Passing style will only inhibit natural choices or ideal targets. If you play a narrow formation then your players should already have the mental ability to play it short and quick, likewise if you play wide then your players should be able to spot, attempt and hit the wide target. Messing around with passing style while aiming for one touch football will only help when your players are composed and stupid, which probably means your entire short passing strategy is fail anyway.

I agree with you regarding tempo and time wasting, of course high tempo and very low time wasting will encourage your players to develop first time football, not so sure about creative freedom.

While a narrow formation could help less skilled players to play first touch football (of course not like a top class team) a wider one would need player more gifted technically.

Now, first time football is often (not always) defined as a series of intricate and short passes (like brazilian or portuguese teams), if you set your players to perform long passes, that setting won't let them to perform first touch football.

• 3 weeks later...
Okey.. I have tweaked the super tactic Arsenal uses in my 2017 save. And Boy, its working like a sharm with my arsenal team. I'm leading the premiership and I have saved som PKM matches that you can download below. Its pretty amazing result. Defeating Man U with 4-1 (but they didnt have ROnaldo or Tevez because its a tweaked database by some german guy). And another victory with 5-2. The football is very entertaining if you ask me, and It looks like arsenal on television. Here's the PKM. Maybe I will upload the tactic if there are any interests:

http://www.zshare.net/download/639746649fb0aab4/

Hi, please would you be able to upload this tactic i would be really gratefull, Thanks.

Archived