I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - David Trezeguet (Juventus)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Oliver Kahn (FC Bayern)

European Defender of the Year - Fabio Cannavaro (Inter)

European Midfielder of the Year - Oliver Neuville (Leverkusen)

European Striker of the Year - David Trezeguet (Juventus)

The Varese fans chose Christian Santi as their player of last season. Damn right as well icon_smile.gif

As ever, today sees the release of the Serie C Cup fixtures, our group as follows

Group C

Alessandria

Legnano

Pro Vercelli

Valenzana

VARESE

Again we are drawn against Alessandra and Valenzana. I'll reserve judgment on our chances this time icon_biggrin.gif

I eagerly await the fax of the new seasons fixtures, released today. Here they come... icon_smile.gif

We start away to Spal, before returning home for the visit from Alessandria, and then away to Pisa. I'll not say that's easy, because every game in the division is hard. It looks tricky though.

Today sees the transfer deadline lifted, and I complete deals for Welsh striker Neil Roberts from Wigan, and Simone Loria on a permanent basis. One hat falls through, and I'm thoroughly annoyed, is the one for Lucas Maximillian Cantoro. The board think £26,000 is too much to pay for a player of his ability. Over 60 goals - he's a bargain, and I WILL talk them around it. icon_mad.gif

Later in the day my deal for Alessandro Sbrizzo is completed. I have a bargain here, as this guy is very highly rated in his aggression, bravery, balance, determination, and his stamina. He is a tremendous addition to the squad. icon_smile.gif

a boring month rolls through...with very little happening in July. Big transfers around, but very little news as you'd expect. I concentrate on preparing the team for our first Cup game, again against Alessandria icon_redface.gif

Negotiations are ongoing with Lucas Cantoro, who my board don't think is worth £26k icon_mad.gif I'm trying to entice him, and a rather well known Argentinian hitman here on loan. But who?

Next Up: Our match against Alessandria to Kick Off Season Three, and you may just see who the mystery man is icon_smile.gif

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quality reports.I really know what you mean about the Italian leagues being frustrating. I've almost had enough (playing with Igea Virtus in C2/C)Good luck anyway. Hope you get your signings. Look forward to the next installment.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shawng1:

Junichi,

I find it interesting you spend so much time scouting English players. I think you'd have a much better chance drawing players from Eastern Europe--and the quality there is cheaper.

FWIW.

KUTGW<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers for the advice - I generally stay away from Eastern Europe due to Work Permits, and with Varese I have no money, so I'm open to suggestions icon_smile.gif

and thanks for the comments jimbokav icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

finally I return icon_biggrin.gif

Back to action, in a competition we've hardly excelled in recently. Alessandria will be no pushovers, but Sbrizzo and Roberts are given debuts icon_smile.gif

Varese 0

Alessandria 1

Melzi 3

We played far better than we have at previous Serie C Cup games. They just hit us cold very early on, no doubt a tactical inspiration from boss Dino Pagliari. Melzi's header was the deciding factor icon_frown.gif We were very creative, but Paez couldn't find the net, and Roberts didn't have the chances the Spaniard did. Late on, I thought we had taken a justified point, as Neil Roberts drove in for a debut goal, only to be ruled out for offside - a decision not given by referee Spreafico, but by his assistant. Still, We were very secure in defence, which is a good sign, yet we lost 1-0 again icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Gascoigne (Rinaldini 66), Nielsen, Sergio Paez, Roberts

Quite how I've done this I'm not sure, but today we have signed Gabriel Batistuta on a Free Transfer icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif The man is a goalscoring legend in this country, and Roma released him in the summer. I started the deal off just by playing around with his agent, toying with the idea, but he seemed genuinely interested. We talked, and he agreed to a role, month by month to start, as Player/Assistant Manager icon_cool.gif He is an amazing aquisition, not only for his goals, but for the way others will play off him. What a coup!

Apparently Legnano are a poor side, and we should beat them. :/ They have a nasty lilac kit, as Batistuta gets his debut. So does promising keeper Sergio Girardi.

Legnano 1

Bonomi 64

Varese 0

I'm not happy, but that's our Cup fortunes for you. We're always dismal in this competition, and today was no exception. The only bright point was Batistuta's game - he just didn't have the luck, but it will come, as he's only been back in full training for 2 days. Still, the home side with the nasty kit took a deserved win as Mauro Bonomi placed a header past debutant keeper Girardi. Still, I consider the cup as a training tournament for when the real business begins. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Ragatzu (Rinaldini 78), Nielsen, Sergio Paez (Brognoli 77), Batistuta

Pro Vercelli are bound to be tricky for us, as Batistuta makes his home debut icon_smile.gif Dei comes back in goal ahead of Girardi, and Jesus gets the right wing spot.

Varese 1

Nielsen 11

Pro Vercelli 1

Andorno 16

The fact we can't qualify, again, means little. A draw is a good way to start turning some form around. We took the lead as Brognoli and Batistuta combined to set up Anders Nielsen, who's returned from a cruciate injury a totally new player icon_smile.gif The visitors came back and equalised via an Andorno header, but that was it from them. They did pretty well to shackle Batistuta, limited to just one shot. Still, I'm not worried he hasn't scored yet - one goal will get them flowing. Still, not a bad draw icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Fuoco, Jesus, Nielsen, Brognoli, Batistuta

• Administrators

Valenzana are top, qualified, and haven't conceded. I use the game to try a third option alongside Batistuta, Neil Roberts this time. I continue to rest Santi, as he'll be important for the start of the League season.

Valenzana 0

Varese 2

Plaquet 39

Roberts 89

Bandirali injured 20

icon_cool.gif We showed that we are capable of performing. I've always known this, only I need to figure out how to get them doing it regularly. Maybe the strikeforce can lead by example. Batistuta and Roberts literally worked their socks off up front, and were rewarded. The home side came out very sharp, and Dei needed to be alert to prevent Sala scoring. Fuoco came close, then Plaquet scored the opening goal. The French winger (who I like to call a poor man's Laurent Robert icon_biggrin.gif ) scored from the edge of the area following a long pass from Gorini icon_smile.gif They pushed on, but our back 3 made sure that they didn't have much joy. Rizzioli came close twice, most notably on 80 minutes as he flashed a header over. We secured a very good win late on, as Jesus, in his new winger role, crossed to 'Batigol', who headed towards goal. His header was saved by Braga, but Neil Roberts was on hand to score icon_smile.gif The strikers impressed me very much, and they'll start together in 11 days away at Spal icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali (Loria 20), Rinaldini, Plaquet, Fuoco, Jesus, Nielsen, Roberts, Batistuta

Spal are a team we are yet to lose to, and once again we can go into the start of the season with no fear or trepidation.

Spal 2

Cropano 11

Altomare 88

Varese 1

Batistuta 37

Heartbreaking, this one icon_frown.gif Spal lead early through a chance Cropano could not miss if he tried, but we were dominating. Finally we got something back, as Batistuta crashed in from 25 yards for his first goal icon_smile.gif Hopefully the first of many. Pasquale Gatti was great for the home side, stopping most of what we tried. A draw was looking likely until Luca Altomare took the points icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Jesus, Nielsen, Roberts, Batistuta

After the game I agree to take Marco Agatino Alberio on loan icon_smile.gif I looked at the striker from Igea Virtus, and the provincial side accepted icon_smile.gif He may start alongside Batistuta at home next week.

Roberto D'Auria comes in on loan from Sampdoria for the season. They rate him highly in Genoa, and although he's quite raw and inexperienced, I feel he can do us a job. That should be all the strikers we need, now I have 6 to pick from icon_smile.gif

Alessandria have become something of a bogey side for us, and the season opening of our home campaign sees them visit. I decide upon starting D'Auria up front with Batistuta, and Gazza in the midfield.

Varese 1

Fuoco 17

Sbrizzo sent off 37

Alessandria 1

Lombardini 14

We really did deserve to win the game. The visitors had more attempts, but we were far superior everywhere else. Alessandria were gifted a lead as Gorini slipped and Lombardini took advantage. Soon enough we were level, as Fuoco cracked in his first for a while icon_smile.gif Batistuta was well shackled throughout, the closest he came was on 75 minutes, as he punced on a loose ball, but Tiziano Ramon in the goal was brave. Alessandro Sbrizzo was sent off for a nasty lunge, reuniting a strong defensive unit, which worked well once more icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Gascoigne, Nielsen, D'Auria (Loria 37), Batistuta

I know I said I had enough strikers, but I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse today. Siena knew I was interested in Marcello Campolonghi, and because they had too many attackers, they offered me him for the rest of the season. I will start him at Pisa, as he is a very dangerous striker.

• Administrators

Pisa away, as we've started the season very evenly. Campolonghi gets the start alongside Gabriel Batistuta, and things are expected of him icon_smile.gif

Pisa 2

Pomini 18

Sisti 72

Varese 0

We were very poor in all areas. Campolonghi was appaling, just didn't do a thing icon_mad.gif Dei was very poor in goal, and we deserved to lose in every feasible manner. Pomini's header and Sisti's stab were enough to give a very fair win to the Nerazzurri. Changes may be needed now.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Gascoigne, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

All week I've been working on a way to get us into some form. Tactics may be the key, so we line up today in a more orthodox shape against Reggiana, who will be a tough game, as all are at this level icon_smile.gif And I persist with Campolonghi.

Varese 5

Campolonghi 6, 33, 69, 77

Batistuta 11

Plaquet injured 77

Reggiana 1

Minetti 63

Bloody Hell! icon_eek.gif (apologies for blaspheming). I hoped to turn our fortunes around, but this took me by surprise icon_biggrin.gif Not that I'm not happy - we were lethally brilliant. The fun started early, as Campolonghi showed last match was a blip, collecting a loose ball from a blocked Batistuta shot to drive home for 1-0. 5 minutes later, we scored again in a goal that encapsulated what Varese is all about. Teenage sensation Santi collected the ball 25 yards out, but wide, and sent in a demon of a cross that Batistuta feeds from. The Argentinian crashed in the header to make it 2-0. By now Campolonghi and Batistuta were linking nicely. 27 minutes saw them combine to almost give Batistuta a 2nd, but it was over. 3-0 came just after the half hour, as Bandirali found Nielsen, who in turn picked out Campolonghi, and the loanee finished comprehensively. icon_smile.gif The players were obviously jubilant at the break, but nonetheless I told them of the need to focus and continue for the win, and not to become complacent. And my words were justified, as Massimo Minetti picked up the ball from De Flandra, and tucked home to make things interesting. Or so I thought. Campolonghi felt he had to justify his selection after his debut horror show, and completed a fine hat-trick barely 5 minutes after Minetti's consolation by hitting a bouncing ball past the keeper, leaving him rooted to the spot. icon_biggrin.gif He wasn't finished. Batistuta found himself surrounded 20 yards out. The thing is, Campolonghi had lots of space. Batistuta found him, and he placed home for his 4th and our 5th icon_cool.gif My biggest win as manager too icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet (Gascoigne 77), Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Quite a result icon_biggrin.gif - scared me a bit too icon_biggrin.gif

Plaquet damaged his ligaments in his knee, but not seriously. He just needs a good month of rest.

After the euphoria of the last match, we come down to earth with a trip to Livorno. Being an away game I'm not expecting the fireworks of last game. However, I do demand we don't lose.

Livorno 0

Varese 0

Gascoigne sent off 25

Maybe a tad disappointing, but at least we didn't concede or lose. Batistuta may not be as prolific as just about *everyone* is expecting, but he's doing a sterling job occupying the defence. Campolonghi had the best shot of the game, as he latched onto a volley with the ball behind him, only for it to shave the bar. Livorno were defensive throughout, and Roberto Donadoni's side got the point they wanted. Gascoigne was stupidly sent off for a petulant tackle (but hey, what's new) and I won't appeal.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Ternana can be considered as highly dangerous, but I'm confident we can maybe play well enough to shade it at home.

Varese 1

Rinaldini 51

Ternana 4

Zaniolo 4

Frezza 17

Frick 61, 69

How can the same players who won 5-1 a week ago lose 4-1 today? icon_mad.gif Zaniolo started the downfall with an early header, after Batistuta had a header saved after one minute. Frezza made it 2 very comfortably, and we should have been further behind, if Frick's finishing had been better. Rinaldini got forward to reduce the deficit after half time, but Frick took over and struck twice in 8 minutes to take the points away with them icon_frown.gif Sure, they're a good team, but we're going nowhere if we're going to do this all the time. Fair enough, we dominated too, just our goalkeeper was very poor today, and he'll know about it too icon_mad.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Rinaldini, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

• Administrators

After the shambles of last week we travel to Lucca to face Gianfranco Zola's top of the table Lucchese, willing to defend their 100% record. We'll stay unchanged.

Lucchese 1

Carruezzo 48

Varese 1

Campolonghi 22

I consider this one point gained rather than two points lost, even though we lead, purely because we became the first side to take a point from Lucchese this season, and it's a massive improvement over the shock horror that was the game against Ternana. We even outplayed our opponents for much of the match. The early going was good, as Rinaldini and Batistuta came close, but Memmo came closer for the home side. Campolonghi found the net again on 22 minutes, for the 5th time this season - receiving the ball from Batigol and pushing it past the keeper icon_smile.gif Gazzoli then made a wonderful stop from Campolonghi to keep Zola's men in it, but we were in front as the ref blew for half time. Soon after the restart, Eurpremio Carruezzo beat Dei to the ball to score an equaliser. He obviously likes playing us - it was his 3rd goal in 5 games against us (5 games we haven't beaten them in icon_frown.gif ) But I am relatively happy with the draw icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Rinaldini, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Still, we've only won one out of the first seven - not the start I was looking for.

Laurent Plaquet can return and add some much needed balance to the side for the visit of struggling Sangiovannese. I'll be looking for a 2nd win of the season.

Varese 6

Campolonghi 16, 29, 32, 62

Plaquet 17

Gorini 55 pen

Sangiovannese 0

Sennese sent off 54

It's very strange that our only two wins this season are 5-1 and now 6-0 icon_cool.gificon_redface.gif To be honest my scouts reckoned it would be an 'easier' game - but we've struggled against lower opposition before. The early goal was crucial, and we got it as Campolonghi took the ball under control and drove home off the bar. Less than a minute later the advantage was doubled, thankfully, by Plaquet on his return from injury. He was found unmarked at the back post to slide in the 2nd. Before half an hour was passed we made it 3, as Campolonghi showed he is a real predator, taking the ball from Batistuta and running unchallenged before hitting home a shot that nearly took the net with it icon_biggrin.gif And his 2nd hat-trick of the season was complete 3 minutes later; as Plaquet chipped the cross in, Campolonghi met it on the half volley and made it 4-0, which is how it stayed until the break. Ten minutes after the changing of ends we made it 5, as Campolonghi was clear, he rounded Alessandro Senesi, but was brought down by the Sangiovannese keeper. The referee sent off the keeper, making his debut one he'll want to forget, and Gorini took the captain's duty of dispatching the penalty and making it 5-0. Only one more arrived, as Campolonghi grabbed his 2nd four goal haul in a matter of weeks, running past Capecchi and beating the substitute keeper to make it Varese 6, Sangiovannese 0. icon_cool.gif The only disappointment I could possibly have is the fact that Batistuta didn't make the scoresheet, but 2 assists and an involvement in making a 3rd is still a major contribution in a game I can otherwise find no criticism whatsoever with icon_smile.gif We just need to do this more often now!

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Cremonese are as yet without a win, but they've drawn almost all their games. We go into the match with confidence high after last time's win, and an unchanged team icon_smile.gif

Varese 1

Campolonghi 56

Cremonese 1

Carli 85

Another draw for the visitors, and although we were better, I somehow think they deserved a point. Cremonese had an early appeal for a penalty turned down by Ettore Fanesi, as Rossi was tripped by Loria. The action was generally even in the first 45, with our best hop stemming from Batistuta, but a couple of wild swings saw it all come to nothing. 56 minutes was when we took the lead, as a great move involving Gorini, Fuoco and Santi lead to Campolonghi heading in his 10th of the season icon_smile.gif Nielsen was sooooo close to winning it on a number of occasions; a 75th minute header was tipped over amazingly by Bianchi, and 3 minutes later he turned a Nielsen drive wide. With just 5 minutes to go young striker Ciro Carli, on as a sub, scored his first ever career goal as we failed to notice his presence. Nielsen was again close in injury time, but we drew again.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

We're still perilously close to the relegation playoffs, without being too far off the promotion playoffs. 2 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats from the first 9 games isn't too bad, but we can do better.

• Administrators

Spezia have made a good start to the season, as they sit comfortably in 4th awaiting our visit. I choose an unchanged side again.

Spezia 2

Troiano 6

Grabinsky 77

Pagano missed pen 16

Varese 7

Batistuta 5, 23, 57, 70, 81

Campolonghi 33, 45

I am quite speechless icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif I simply cannot put into words the shock (albeit nice shock) that I'm in after seeing this win. Things looked good early doors, as Batistuta scored at the 2nd attempt after his first shot was saved. Immediately I told the players to keep their nerve and hold this for as long as possible. A minute later it was level - Alessandro Troiano headed home to even proceedings. On 15 minutes the referee gave the home side a penalty, as Loria fouled Grabinsky challenging for a header. I had little complaints, but things got better as Dei saved Pagano's spot kick icon_smile.gif And we took full advantage, as on 23 Santi found Batistuta away on the right. The Argentinian hitman took the ball on before volleying into the far corner past Amelia, who didn't see it. Not to be outdone, Campolonghi found the net soon after, meeting Nielsen's cross to beat Amelia to the ball and find the unguarded goal. On the stroke of half time Santi found Plaquet, who whipped in a ball that Campolonghi headed in to make it a shock scoreline of 4-1 at the break. icon_eek.gif It wasn't even the half of it. Presotto went running just short of the hour, all the way down the right, before crossing to the near post, where Batistuta met it for his hat-trick icon_cool.gif Still we pushed on, as Spezia looked utterly scared. 70 minutes had passed when Batistuta was again allowed time and space to collect the ball, pick a spot, and crash past Amelia to make it 6-1 and his 4th. Grabinsky scored a 2nd consolation with 13 left on the clock, outjumping Loria (who had a poor game), but the game was up. Nielsen's cross on 81 found, yep, Batistuta, who headed in the 7th and his 5th. 7-2 - away from home icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif Quite breathtaking and brilliant!

Campolonghi and Batistuta played very very well today - all 7 goals between them, but Santi was brilliant as well - given 10 out of 10 in some places - he made 2 and was involved in the build up or 3 more. I'm still quite speechless at this icon_biggrin.gif

Sambenedettese are possibly the longest named team I've ever had to play. They're another team struggling, but up front they have Negri and Kanyengele who we'll have to watch closely. Why would I change the team after last game?

Varese 1

Batistuta 39

Sambenedettese 0

In many ways this is just as impressive as the 7-2 win last week, as it's the first time we've strung 2 wins together this season. We thoroughly deserved it too, as our 16 shots and 55% of possession warrant. Try as he might, Campolonghi just couldn't find a way through - 7 shots he had, 5 forced the keeper into action. Loria hit the bar on 36, and Campolonghi's rebound was magically stopped by Giacomo Kevin Boranga in goal. icon_frown.gif But we got the lead 3 minutes later, as Batistuta picked up the loose ball and finished as we've come to expect from him icon_smile.gif I'm not disappointed at that being the only goal, as we forced the issue and could have had more against a poorer defence. There was a 4 minute spell in the second half (54-58 mins) where we had so many shots on goal, but a number of factors stopped them going in - great saves and inaccurate finishing in the main. Gorini was colossal in defence when needed, and the win was just as satisfying as any of ours this season. icon_smile.gif

Today we make the visit to Alto Adige - a team that have equipped themselves very well since promotion. They're 5th as we go to their ground, looking to gain ground on them.

Alto Adige 3

Lomi 21

Noselli 57

Gragnaniello 64

Varese 1

Brognoli 59 pen

Nielsen injured 55

Bah, we hadn't a chance. 2 wins in a row had given us a boost, but we're back to earth with a bump against a side who I fancy to suprise a lot of people. They're defensively strong, and have a good attack. We found this out early as Nielsen was stopped by the keeper, and then he put a 2nd chance high and wide. 21 minutes saw Lomi hit a snapshot at goal that eluded Dei to put us behind icon_frown.gif Batistuta and Gragnaniello both came close before the break, but we were still in with a shout. Anders Nielsen then went off injured, and it doesn't look good. He's torn his groin muscle, and that should mean 3 months out. It's a real blow for the Dane, who made such a good comeback from cruciate ligament damage icon_frown.gif Whilst we reshaped as Brognoli came on wide right, Noselli smacked in the 2nd from close range. We were back in it 2 minutes later, as Batistuta won a penalty, and Brognoli took it, being the senior spot kick taker, to reduce the arrears. Gragnaniello's solo goal was the final straw that we couldn't recover from, and we lost, even though we played well. Go figure icon_confused.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Nielsen (Brognoli 55), Campolonghi, Batistuta

• Administrators

Pro Sesto seem resigned to another relegation battle, being bottom and in a crisis. If we can find our shooting boots we should be fine. I bring Rinaldini in for Nielsen and put Santi out on the right, in an experimental change.

Varese 1

Fuoco 90

Pro Sesto 1

Grassi 28

Phew, that was very close icon_redface.gif We were utterly dominant - 16 shots on goal, just Davide Accialini was in fine form in goal. Batistuta had numerous headers put over or saved well, and Campolonghi just couldn't find the corners. I fell into shock on 24 minutes, as Grassi finished a fine move as Pro Sesto scored from their first attack of the game icon_frown.gif It still wouldn't come. Shy of the hour, Batistuta had a shot desperately cleared off the line from Palmieri. Plaquet forced a world class save. It wasn't going in - one of those days icon_mad.gif But then it happened - a situation where we've lost time and again, only this time Marco Fuoco FINALLY found the net, after Accialini saved once again, but on this occasion his defence failed to back him up, and Fuoco slammed in to steal a precious draw. The clock read 94:32 and we'd escaped a match we should have won with a draw. Just. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Rinaldini (Jesus 45), Campolonghi, Batistuta

Treviso are another team extremely well placed, 2nd in the table. This will be one of our hardest games of the season.

Treviso 3

Chiappara 13

De Ascentis 31, 67

Varese 0

We weren't at the races again today, as Elio Gustinetti's side were rampant without trying. Roberto Chiappara opened the scoring with a low drive short of the quarter hour, and the lead was doubled on 31 as Diego De Ascentis, on loan from Torino, headed past Loria and Dei after they'd wasted so many chances. The fact they have De Ascentis - clearly a Serie A player - is just an example of the quality they have. Gascoigne came close just after the break, as he mi**** a pass and nearly lobbed Doardo. De Ascentis scored a 2nd for himself and Treviso's 3rd with expert control, touch, and shooting to leave Dei without a hope. We need to get some form going again before we waste our good work.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Gascoigne, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Once again we face a team higher than us in the League. Albinoleffe are 4th, and in form. Last time, they stuffed us like a turkey, doing so 5-1. To add some much needed balance I decide to try Stefano Del Grande on the right wing. A product of the academy, he gets his chance after 3 years in the reserves, doing quite well.

Varese 1

Batistuta 43

Albinoleffe 0

The 3 points today came from battle, gritt, and determination. It was a very tight match, most of which was fought in the midfield, where Santi was brilliant - misplacing only 3 passes and making 15 successful tackles. icon_cool.gif Batistuta's goal was the only action of the first half. Campolonghi was tackled, but Batigol picked it up, went past Colombo, and kept his cool to take the win icon_smile.gif Gusmini came close twice in a matter of minutes, first shooting wide and then, when he found the target, Dei was equal. Our build up play was fine, as Plaquet, Fuoco, Campolonghi and Batistuta all combined well on a number of occasions only for the attack to be broken up.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Del Grande, Campolonghi, Batistuta

If we can beat Cittadella at the Euganeo we'll move above them. I choose to start the same team from last week's game against Albinoleffe, as I hope to win what is considered a derby.

Cittadella 3

Macelloni 47

De Gasperi 60

Rigoni 66 pen

Varese 2

Batistuta 23

Campolonghi 74

I feel cheated. icon_frown.gif It's one of those inexplicable situations where you do everything right, but don't get what you deserve. Batistuta opened the goalscoring with his 10th of the season, volleying in off the bar. 10 goals is great, but 5 came in one game, which means he's scored 5 in 18 otherwise. Still, he's playing out of his skin. We fully deserved our lead at the break, but we surrendered too easily once the 2nd period started. Macelloni was allowed to run at us, and he took the gift with a bullet right footed shot. De Gasperi gave them the lead when he slipped past Bandirali and shot low to Dei's right. The game was won 6 minutes later, when Rigoni dispatched a penalty, given for shirt pulling by Bandirali. It was a soft decision to say the least. Campolonghi scored a corker from 20 yards off the outside of his right foot. Del Grande cam inches away from getting us a point, but Caserta made a stunning stop in injury time from his header.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Del Grande, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Now we have an 18 day break until the visit of Fermana. It'll be very useful indeed.

• Administrators

New Year starts with some interesting transfer activity. I contact Verona about loaning winger Luca Matteassi until the end of this season. Seeing as he's on £17k a week, and they're struggling financially, they accept the deal as good for all parties. Matteassi is very quick - lightning - and can put a mean cross in. In Nielsen's absence, he's a gem. icon_smile.gif

I also terminate Roberto D'Auria's loan spell early, as he's not playing for us regularly, and it'll suit him better to go back to Sampdoria.

I bring in another loan signing from the other Veronese club. Chievo centre back Nicola Legrottaglie joins until the season finishes, and I really hope he can sort our defensive errors. He's experienced at all levels, and I think he could be an asset icon_smile.gif

In the afternoon Fermana come to town, sitting pretty in the playoffs. Gorini is injured, so Sbrizzo is in. Legrottaglie makes a hurried debut instead of Loria, and Matteassi gets the right wing berth.

Varese 0

Fermana 0

A real battle was seen here today, as both sides eventually fell in stalemate. Batistuta had the first clear opening, heading quite a way over though icon_frown.gif He came closer 5 minutes later, as the keeper just stopped it hitting the top corner. Mastronunzio was always a threat, but Legrottaglie was a rock in defence today, which pleased me icon_smile.gif It was Batistuta and Mastronunzio who continually threatened, but both defences were admirable in their mental and physical strength. Campolonghi forced a great save from the impressive Chiodini, who kept us out on numerous occasions, but a draw was nonetheless satisfying.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Bandirali©, Legrottaglie, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

After a 10 day break we resume with the visit of Spal. Christian Santi is suspended today, so I make the sole change in bringing Rinaldini in for him.

Varese 4

Campolonghi 19, 80

Matteassi 45

Fuoco 55

Spal 4

Cropano 36

Temelin 40

Gatti 49

Pirri 69

I'm far from happy with the defending, but we came back from behind on 3 occasions, which showed we are no soft team. The 8 goal thriller started with Campolonghi heading home a Plaquet cross past Alessandro Quarta. Cropano levelled it up by heading home a cross delivered by Pirri. Spal took a lead shortly after as Temelin scored at the 2nd attempt after Dei saved his first shot. We weren't behind at laf time, as Luca Matteassi was put clear by Campolonghi, and the winger kept his calm to slot home the 4th goal, and it became 2-2. Pirri got involved again, crossing for Gatti to head Spal into the lead again. But the game went topsy turvy again, as Fuoco found time and space to make it 3-3. But Alessio Pirri, involved in everything, took a run and unleashed a shot into the top corner to give them another lead, a lead which they again surrendered as Campolonghi fiercly dispatched Plaquet's cross for his 15th of the season, and to take a share of the points.

Team: Dei, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Bandirali© (Loria 44), Legrottaglie, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

About time I showed you a table...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie C1/A - Sunday 18th January 2004

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2003/4 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Lucchese 18 7 2 1 16 8 5 0 3 12 11 38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Treviso 18 8 0 0 22 2 2 5 3 12 13 35

3rd Alto Adige 18 6 1 3 19 11 5 1 2 15 8 35

4th Albinoleffe 18 5 2 1 13 8 5 2 3 17 10 34

5th Fermana 18 3 3 2 11 8 6 4 0 14 6 34

6th Ternana 18 5 4 1 14 10 3 3 2 15 13 31

7th Reggiana 18 6 0 2 19 11 3 1 6 14 22 28

8th Spal 18 4 3 1 10 7 3 3 4 17 21 27

9th Cittadella 18 5 1 2 17 11 2 4 4 14 18 26

10th Spezia 18 3 2 5 13 22 4 2 2 12 7 25

11th Cremonese 18 3 5 2 14 16 2 4 2 10 11 24

12th Pisa 18 4 1 3 18 13 2 4 4 15 15 23

13th VARESE 18 4 5 1 21 12 1 2 5 12 16 22

14th Alessandria 18 1 4 3 9 12 2 5 3 11 12 18

15th Livorno 18 3 2 4 13 11 1 0 8 11 23 14

16th Sambenedettese 18 3 4 3 13 12 0 1 7 5 21 14

17th Pro Sesto 18 0 2 7 10 18 1 2 6 5 15 7

18th Sangiovannese 18 1 3 6 11 25 0 1 7 6 21 7

</pre>

I'm disappointed, as we've scored plenty, but forgotten how to stop conceding icon_frown.gif We should be better placed.

Nicola Legrottaglie will be out for a month with a damaged neck. He's played well in his 2 games so far, and we really will miss him icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

Today's game at Alessandria will be very important, as they'll gain ground on us if we lose, but we can move away from any trouble with a win. A defensive crisis sees Legrottaglie and Bandirali out, to be replaced by Loria, and returning captain Gorini. Santi also comes back in.

Alessandria 1

Modesti 42

Varese 2

Matteassi 11

Campolonghi 62

Loria sent off 4

I'm proud of my 10 men after a great display to fight back from an early blow to win these vital 3 points. Just 4 minutes in, and referee Stefano Cassarà sent Simone Loria off for a professional foul. It was dubious and I will definitely appeal against the decision. But it was we who took the lead after a defensive reshuffle, as Luca Matteassi found the net again. He'd already linked well with Batistuta which nearly produced the goods, but the man on loan from Verona took actions into his own hands, or rather feet, reaching Campolonghi's pass, and taking his time to beat D'Amico. The number difference soon started to take over, and Modesti was only stopped by an in-form Dei. icon_smile.gif He did find the net just short of half time, heading in Garzon's header. We concede far too many goals in the 5 minutes before, and after half time. Work is needed on that. Work isn't needed on Marcello Campolonghi's finishing. He may waste some, but his header on 62 minutes to take the points back home with us was right our of the top drawer. Matteassi supplied the cross, and the impressive winger never stopped running, passing, crossing - he was great. Alessandria's left back Paolo Bravo must be having nightmares from now on - he was terrorised. A good win in the end. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Loria, Gorini©, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco (Caddedu 4), Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Caddedu's first appearance of the season was highly impressive - the way he and Gorini worked together was promising. icon_smile.gif

Reports are rife in Italy today that AC Milan are putting together a world record bid of £50m for Arsenal's Patrick Vieira. As usual, no-one is saying anything from either party.

February starts with a visit from Pisa. A win will take us above at least them, and maybe others. Caddedu starts alongside Gorini in defence.

Varese 2

Batistuta 10, 14

Pisa 2

Constantino 46

Ambrosi 87

This is the reason we're 12th in the table. With a win we'd be 8th, it's that close. Batistuta gave us the perfect start by scoring twice in a couple of minutes, one headed, one left foot strike. We were extremely comfortable too, although Pisa almost scored on the stroke of 45. With a 2-0 lead at halfway you'd expect us to go on and seal the win. But no icon_mad.gif Constantino pulled back one, heading home a deep Frati cross. We were still holding on though, until Ambrosi volleyed in a late, late equaliser icon_frown.gif We should have sealed this, but we didn't - will we come to regret it? icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Caddedu, Gorini©, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Being my Assistant Manager, I've been talking to Gabriel Batistuta about young goalkeeper Sergio Girardi. Batistuta thinks I should play him today against Reggiana, but Emiliano Dei has been in fine form. Still, anything to stop conceding, I listen to Batistuta and play the young keeper this afternoon, in the only neccessary change.

Reggiana 0

Varese 1

Campolonghi 43

Girardi is amazing! icon_biggrin.gif 12 shots Reggiana had - 6 on target - and Girardi was simply unbeatable. He was big, commanding, and composed for an 18 year old. We were under pressure for a lot of the game, but we came through with a great 1-0 win icon_smile.gif Miftah, Minetti and Archetti all tested my young keeper in the first half an hour, but Girardi was equal to everything. Batistuta had a goal disallowed on 37 minutes, Camplonghi found him in an offside position, but he still put it past Mikael Fabre. And the psychological barrier of being beaten now broken, we took the lead on 43 minutes, as Campolonghi found Fuoco's cross to head home yet another headed goal. That was all we needed icon_smile.gif . We were far more assertive in the second half, putting together some fabulous play, but not scoring. Girardi hadn't much to do in the second half, but was still alert enough to prevent an equaliser. The win takes us to 8th icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Caddedu, Gorini©, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Remember Paolo Bravo - the Alessandria left back terrorised by Luca Matteassi? He broke his leg today, and will be out for 6 months icon_redface.gificon_frown.gif

• Administrators

We look to carry on some decent form with the visit from lowly Livorno. I'm able to partner Gorini and Legrottaglie in central defence at last, as the defender on loan from Chievo returns from a neck injury icon_smile.gif

Varese 4

Fuoco 32

Campolonghi 47, 60

Matteassi 68

Livorno 0

We were way too comfortable to be hugely delighted, but we can be pleased with ourselves for making it easy. icon_smile.gif It was a pretty simple game for the first half hour, as we were content with the play, and took the lead on 32 minutes, Santi supplying Fuoco to slot past Luca Formica. We held the lead until 47 minutes, when we strengthened it, as Fuoco turned maker this time, giving the ball to Campolonghi, who used skill and strength to beat off Saverino before rifling in. He scored again 13 minutes later, this time tapping into an open goal after Matteassi's shot was saved to make it 19 for the season. Matteassi got in on the act himself a bit later, finding Fuoco's pass before crashing a shot past Formica to complete a comfortable yet comprehensive 4-0 victory. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie, Gorini©, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

The win gives us a nice boost of 6 games unbeaten, and a cushion in the table as we prepare to face Ternana and Lucchese - two of the toughest sides in the league.

Ternana outclassed us at home, but we're back in some form, and may be more of a test for them. Unchanged.

Ternana 2

Giampà 80

Frezza 86

Varese 1

Campolonghi 18

Santi injured 25

We woz robbed I tell ya! icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif We outplayed Ternana and defended for all we were worth, and without Santi, the glue holding the side together, for a lot of the game. It was us who started brighter, and we got a deserved lead as Campolonghi took a 1 on 1 chance to score his 20th of the season icon_smile.gif Santi then went off with a knee injury, and Loria played very well in midfield as his replacement. Ternana pressurised for a goal, but couldn't get it as Girardi was great in goal. But then they equalised, as Giampà slid home an equaliser. The home side smelt victory, and Cacia found an unmarked Frezza to score a heartbreaking winner. My team were so despondant in the changing room afterwards, they really felt they had it won. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie, Gorini©, Santi (Loria 25), Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Santi's out for 2 weeks. We have to pick ourselves up for the game against Lucchese next week. I think we have a good chance to win, but luck has to come our way this time as well.

We are yet to beat Lucchese in 5 games against them. Today is probably our best chance against Franco Zola's side, as we're playing pretty well. Rinaldini is in for Santi.

Varese 0

Legrottaglie injured 7

Gorini sent off 45

Lucchese 0

This was a very well earned draw if you consider the fact we lost our first choice centreback pairing by half time. Inside just 7 minutes Legrottaglie picked up another injury - a nasty cut on his leg which will keep him out for a week or two. Loria came on again and was marvellous. We attacked more effieciently, but Campolonghi couldn't score. The closest he came was a header on 42 minutes that beat Gazzoli (who had a great game) but hit the angle of post and bar before looping over. Right on half time captain Edoardo Gorini was dismissed by Salvatore Evacic for bringing down Carruezzo, adjudged as being clear on goal. After studying video evidence I might appeal. Bandirali came on for Fuoco and he and Loria were like rocks - unbeatable. icon_smile.gif Lucchese dominated with the extra man, but couldn't score. When we tried, Batistuta and Campolonghi were stopped by the irrepressible David Bianchini. Not bad at all overall though.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie (Loria 7), Gorini©, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Fuoco (Bandirali 45), Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

We're still well placed to go into games against Sangiovannese, Cremonese, Spezia and Sambenedettese - which I think we could fare rather well in icon_smile.gif

We stuffed Sangiovannese 6-0 earlier in the season, with such ease. Giuseppe Sannino's side are stuck to the bottom of the table as we go to the Fedini. We have got to win.

Sangiovannese 2

F.Vianello 5

Cappelli 70

Varese 3

Batistuta 29

Campolonghi 43, 72

Sbrizzo sent off 68

We were very close to not taking anything today, which would have been totally unacceptable. The home side shocked us as Vianello drove in on 5 minutes to give an absolute shock lead for themselves icon_eek.gif But as expected, we were dominating the game, and Matteassi's cross on 29 minutes gave Batistuta a chance to head in the equaliser. He obliged with his 13th goal of the season. I was particularly happy with a half time lead, given to us by Campolonghi - heading home another Matteassi cross icon_smile.gif We were comfortable for the majority of the second half, until Sbrizzo was sent off for a hard tackle on Proietti. Whilst I pondered a tactical switch Capelli headed home to make the scoreline embarrasing once again. But we went straight back to the other end and scored what was the eventual winner - Matteassi setting it up again - for Campolonghi to head home. We narrowly took this one on face value, but deserved it overall icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Loria, Rinaldini, Plaquet (Molinaro 70), Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta ©

• Administrators

Cremonese are still in touch with those in safety, and to be fair they look like a hard task today. I've always had bad luck against Cremonese, even in the days of playing CM at home icon_frown.gif Now I'm into management properly I'm looking for that to change.

Cremonese 3

Mangia 32

Recchi 82

Forlani 89

Varese 1

Campolonghi 13

You know, I think it's the nasty grey and red of Cremonese's kit that brings me bad luck against them. We could and probably should have won, but 3-1 flattered the home team. Marcello Campolonghi's right foot hooked effort gave us the lead, as the hitman scored his 23rd of the season icon_smile.gif Andrea Mangia found the net for the equaliser, beating a despairing dive from Girardi. Try as we might, we couldn't get the lead again, and with 8 minutes to go substitute Carmine Recchi scored a header from Fusco's free kick to give them a lead. Cremonese scored again late on, when captain Christian Forlani drive home from range. As I said, the scoreline flattered them, and we should have got at least a draw.

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Amazingly we beat Spezia 7-2 away earlier this season. A win today would see us climb higher above them into 7th place, but similarly a defeat would see an end to much hope of a late dash towards the playoffs. Legrottaglie and Sbrizzo can return to the defensive fold.

Varese 0

Presotto sent off 34

Spezia 1

Grabinsky 74

The referees are against us icon_mad.gif We are not a dirty side, but Presotto became our 6th red card of the season, and believe me when I say I am appalled at Pierluigi Latella's decision to send my man off. It was a disgraceful show of playacting by Lonzar to get Presotto dismissed, a decision which ultimately cost us the game and realistically ended our season icon_mad.gif We had a ton of chances, but a mixture of bad luck/finishing and great saves kept us at bay. Cesar Grabinksy stole in with a header to give the visitors all the points, but I am going to voice my opinion about the officiating to everyone, even if I get into trouble icon_mad.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco (Molinaro 34), Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Guess what? My appeals fall on flat ears icon_mad.gif - shocking. Still, Presotto is injured for a month and Sbrizzo for a week, making a defensice reshuffle necessary for the big game at Sambenedettese.

• Administrators

April starts for us with a trip to the nice Riviera delle Palme to play Sambenedettese. Their tough strike force of Negri and Kanyengele must fancy it against a slightly weaker defence and a side out of form. An away win then, as it's these type of games we usually excel in icon_biggrin.gif

Sambenedettese 1

Kanyengele 41

Varese 2

Fuoco 50

Campolonghi 68

We were extremely lucky to only be 1-0 down at half time. Kanyengele's header just on the stroke gave Stefano Colantuono's team a much deserved lead. Marco Negri had a goal disallowed, and it was all the home side. Girardi was a hero in goal, as Gorini and Legrottaglie weren't playing half as good as they can. I told them to switch around at half time, to take players more suited to their strengths, and to get the ball to Santi and Matteassi, the creative sparks. Oh how we obliged. We were a different side in the 2nd half. Just 5 minutes in, Santi gave the bouncing ball to Fuoco, who still had much to do. He let it drop before firing in an unstoppable half volley from 25 yards - a goal of the season contender icon_cool.gif Shy of 20 minutes later, another Santi cross was this time headed home by the heading expert Campolonghi to take the lead. We decided to play out time, and took a nice 2-1 win to stop the rot for a while icon_smile.gif Christian Santi was immense - back to his brilliant best after a poor-ish spell. icon_cool.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Loria, Legrottaglie, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

No rest for the wicked, as we are given hardly any time to prepare for the visit of Alto Adige - recently knocked off the top of the table - meaning a toughie. Sbrizzo is called back early in the absence of any left backs.

Varese 3

Campolonghi 22, 48

Batistuta 62

Legrottaglie injured 4

Alto Adige 0

How we won with such ease was surprising, but still, I'll take it icon_smile.gif We lost Legrottaglie to another injury, but Bandirali came in, and played a textbook game. He and Gorini were excellent. Bandirali is very underrated - he always produces the goods when needed. Campolonghi scored an inevitable header on 22 minutes, guiding Plaquet's missile of a cross past Riato to score what was his 25th of a prolific season. He made it 26 three minutes after half time, with yet another header, climbing high to finish an exquisite move comprising Fuoco, Sbrizzo, and another rapier cross from Plaquet. Campolonghi suits our style of wings so well. As does Batistuta, although his goal was a volley from 20 yards, after being set up by Man of the Match Sbrizzo. A fine win over usually tough opposition icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Legrottaglie (Bandirali 4), Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Legrottaglie twisted his ankle, meaning yet another month out icon_frown.gif He's only played 8 games for us.

I'm expecting a win at lowly Pro Sesto today. They've struggled for the best part of 2 seasons, and we're back on the right track. Got to win.

Pro Sesto 1

Putelli 87

Varese 3

Campolonghi 32, 35, 66

Marcello Campolonghi scored his 3rd hat-trick of the season to make an easy game on paper transfer to reality. He and Batistuta came close on a number of occasions before the loanman got on the scoresheet with a nudge past the keeper to get to Batistuta's tame shot first. Quickly afterwards, he scored again, this time with the normal headed goal from a Santi free kick. He completed a 'proper' hat-trick on 66 minutes, unleashing a viscious right footed volley to go with his header and a left footer. Clinical. He's scored 29 goals in 28 games for us icon_cool.gif Putelli scored a consolation, but this was no more than a stroll in the park. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

Next Up: A visit from Treviso...

• Administrators

We are visited today by Treviso, who are looking good for a promotion playoff place. Luca Matteassi damaged his knee in the week and will need to miss today's game. Anders Nielsen gets a recall.

Varese 1

Campolonghi 33

Treviso 0

Marcello Campolonghi reached 30 goals for the season with a glancing header from a Plaquet cross on 33 minutes to give us a deserved all 3 points. We were the more potent attacking force, and Gorini was the rock around which the defence were extremely solid. Treviso strikers Lombardi and Lorenzini had absolutely no way through, but when called upon, Girardi produced the goods icon_smile.gif I'm very pleased with this game icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Nielsen, Campolonghi, Batistuta

A win away at 3rd placed Albinoleffe will give us a biger chance of making a shock late run towards a playoff spot. I decide to gamble on Matteassi's fitness.

Albinoleffe 1

Araboni 35

Varese 2

Campolonghi 16, 67

Molinaro sent off 41

We may not have deserved this win, but we still got it, which is what we've been doing recently icon_smile.gif 2 more goals from Campolonghi gave us a win that keeps us in with a shout of a promotion playoff place. His first on 16 minutes was a simple rebound after Acerbis failed to hold Plaquet's attempt. Fuoco and Bandirali forced good saves from Acerbis before a neat turn and shot from Araboni gave Albinoleffe an equaliser. Cristian Molinaro then made a very stupid lunging tackle that he deserved to be sent off for. icon_frown.gif But amazingly, against the odds, and the white and blue tide that came our way, we stole a goal that gave us the points. Fuoco spread the play wide, Matteassi crossed, and Campolonghi headed in yet another goal icon_smile.gif A very vital win.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

A win against Cittadella will keep up our good run, and keep us in the race for promotion. But if results don't go our way we can't do anything about it, as we reach the penultimate round of the season.

Varese 2

Fuoco 13, 80

Cittadella 1

Rigoni 57

Just when we needed a hero, Marco Fuoco turned up right on cue. icon_smile.gif A great passing move lead to him giving us the lead with a simple, nonchalent finish. We could have had even more, but Batistuta couldn't beat Fabrizio Caserta, and Campolonghi was strangely out of sorts. Mario Rigoni was their potent threat, and he equalised on 57 with a run and a shot from exactly the same spot that Fuoco opened the scoring from. With time running out Santi swung over a deep corner, met by Fuoco's head, beating Caserta, and we took the vital win. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

However, Houssine Kharja's 53rd minute goal for Ternana over Alessandria gave them a 1-0 win to mean we cannot make the playoffs any more. icon_frown.gif Still, it's not like we lost this one icon_biggrin.gif .

Today saw a few new Club Records made. The attendance of 9287 is a new high, as were the £60, 764 in gate receipts icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

cheers Shawn icon_smile.gif

Fermana is the last stop on the season's agenda. They've already sorted a playoff place, and we will be in a tough match.

Fermana 2

Mastronunzio 11

Marra 13 pen

Varese 1

Bandirali 65

Presotto injured 85

Bah well, our 6 game winning streak ended today, although after a very slow start we could have taken a share of the points. Salvatore Mastronunzio scored his 15th of the season, and Francesco Marra scored 2 minutes later to give them a solid lead. But when we woke up, we came good, but Batistuta, Campolonghi and company couldn't find a way past Chiodini. It was eventually Roberto Bandirali who found the net, with a thumping header from a Santi corner - it was his first of the season icon_smile.gif Campolonghi hit the bar, but our attacks were in vain as we lost.

Team: Girardi, Presotto (Nielsen 85), Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Plaquet, Fuoco, Matteassi, Campolonghi, Batistuta

The Final Table is below..

Italian Serie C1/A - Sunday 9th May 2004

2003/4 Table

1st C Alto Adige 34 12 2 3 33 14 8 4 5 33 28 66

2nd Pl Lucchese 34 13 3 1 30 14 7 3 7 22 24 66

3rd Pl Fermana 34 10 4 3 33 18 8 7 2 25 15 65

4th Pl Albinoleffe 34 12 3 2 27 12 7 3 7 27 24 63

5th Pl Ternana 34 9 6 2 28 21 7 5 5 33 26 59

6th Treviso 34 12 4 1 40 12 3 9 5 18 21 58

7th VARESE 34 8 7 2 33 16 7 2 8 28 29 54

8th Reggiana 34 11 0 6 31 21 5 5 7 22 29 53

9th Spezia 34 7 4 6 29 29 7 5 5 27 20 51

10th Pisa 34 8 4 5 31 19 4 8 5 28 23 48

11th Cittadella 34 8 4 5 32 24 4 4 9 22 27 44

12th Spal 34 7 7 3 19 17 4 4 9 21 32 44

13th Cremonese 34 5 8 4 28 30 5 5 7 17 24 43

14th Pl Alessandria 34 4 6 7 19 29 2 5 10 14 31 29

15th Pl Sambenedettese 34 5 7 5 24 20 1 3 13 12 36 28

16th Pl Livorno 34 5 4 8 24 29 2 1 14 15 41 26

17th Pl Pro Sesto 34 2 3 12 17 31 4 4 9 22 30 25

18th R Sangiovannese 34 4 3 10 20 39 0 2 15 9 38 17

</pre>

A much better season 3rd time around, as we have improved again. 7th place is great stuff, considering our situation. icon_smile.gif

Our improvement can clearly be seen in the stats below;

Season Finish Pld Won Draw Lost For Ag Pts

2003/4 7th 34 15 9 10 61 45 54

2002/3 9th 34 12 7 15 41 45 43

2001/2 14th 34 12 4 18 45 55 40

</pre>

We finished our highest yet, won more games, scored more goals, and gained more points. icon_smile.gif We still concede - turn that around, and we're there.

Out of the 61 goals, Marcello Campolonghi scored over half - 32, in just 32 games. A fabulous record, but he's back to Siena soon as his loan finishes. I'm going to stretch this club to it's limits to bring him in permanently. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Season Review

As I have already said, it's the best season we've had under my guidance. The emergence of Sergio Girardi in goal was a nice boost, as he looks like being a key component in the team for a while. The defence was stil a bit shaky - Alessandro Sbrizzo came good about halfway through the season, and although Gorini and Bandirali performed very well, we are still prone to conceding - once we've solved that we're going places. Nicola Legrottaglie disappointed, as he was injured for so long during his loan spell icon_frown.gif This, again, is the key area to fix

Midfield saw another solid and creative season. Christian Santi has evolved into a solid and consistent defensive midfielder, alongside Marco Fuoco, who chips in with a few goals here and there. The loan acquisition of Luca Matteassi was huge for the club, as his tireless tirades along the right wing were amazingly beneficial. Unfortunately, we have no hope of a permanent deal as his wages are astronomical for a club our size. The midfield needs hardly any tampering, except maybe some quality cover.

For a change, the strikeforce was very prolific. Without a doubt, the pre-season signing of Gabriel Batistuta raised the club's profile to a degree never seen before. The legendary international may have only scored 14 goals (which I consider good for a 35 year old) but he contributed 7 assists, and was generally a very good partner for Marcello Campolonghi. Ah yes, Campolonghi - the king of the header. He scored a goal a game this season - 32 goals is a fantastic achievement, but he's only on loan icon_frown.gif although my aim is to secure this man permanently from Siena - or else negotiate a deal where he comes back next season.

Overall, another season of progression. If we can sort out the minor imbalances, we should be fit for a really good year in 2004/5. icon_smile.gif

What's been happening around Europe....

AC Milan won a dramatic last day Scudetto in Italy, holding off the challenge of fierce rivals Inter. The two Rome teams are next in line, Lazio and Roma take the remaining ECL spots. Torino, Empoli, Venezia and Chievo all return to familiar territory in the shape of Serie B. Promoted from B are Sampdoria, Salernitana, Udinese, and Fiorentina. Serie A will once again be blessed with the Viola and Blucerchiati of Florence and Genoa.

Manchester nited won the English Premiership by a huge margin - romping home 13 points clear of Liverpool. Goalscoring from Van Nistelrooy (20) and Seba Veron (15) gave Ferguson's men a 7th Premiership crown. Gillingham finally succumbed to relegation, where they'll be joined by Charlton, and amazingly Everton - after so long in the top flight they exit in a poor showing. Millwall come up as Champions of Division One, breaking the 100 points and goals barrier to romp home. Newcastle join them in promotion and the 100 goals club - Alan Shearer scoring 42 in the League and 46 in all competitions for Steve Evans' men. Birmingham join them via the playoffs.

Once again, in Spain, no surprises as Barcelona took another comprehensive League title, 12 points clear of Betis, woth Real Marid a further 9 points down. In a strangely 'normal' season in La Liga, Salamanca, Murcia, and Levante all found the top flight too testing, as they will swap with promoted sides Oviedo, Cordoba, and Rayo.

Lens won their first French crown in 6 years under the guidance of the legendary Joel Muller, who lead them to a last day title by 1 point over Lille. PSG and Bordeaux finished disppointingly low, but not as low as Nimes, Bastia and Cannes, who all gained over 40 points but are still relegated - Le Havre, Niort, and Saint Ettiene replace them.

Finally to Germany, where the title was decided in effect 1 game before the end, as Dortmund crushed Bayern Munich 4-0 at the Westfalenstadion. Goals from Frings, Amoroso (2) and Koller gave the Dortmunder an advantage they never lost. Lubeck, Mannheim, and Frankfurt are relegated, to be replaced by Nuremburg, Cottbus, and MGB.

I agree a few deals today. Polish striker Mateusz Dobek *should* arrive in July, depending on our financial situation, but Marijan Buljat will arrive on the right wing. They both look quite good from the evidence I have icon_smile.gif

It's the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

World Footballer of the Year - Ilhan Mansiz (Galatasaray)

Italian Serie C1/A Manager of the Year - Alberto Zaccheroni (Fiorentina)

Serie A Player of the Year - Filippo Inzagi (AC MIlan)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Giuseppe Colucci (Bologna)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Ivan Cordoba (Inter)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Christian Vieri (Inter, 20 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Zissis Vryzas (Perugia)

Serie B Player of the Year - Zlatan Muslimovic (Ascoli)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Andrea Cossu (Verona, 32 goals)

Serie C1/A Player of the Year - Mario Frick (Ternana/Ipswich)

Serie C1/A Top Goalscorer - Marcello Campolonghi (Varese, 32 goals)

Campolonghi and Batistuta are named amongst the subs for the Team of the Season. The cheek icon_mad.gif - they should have been starters. icon_biggrin.gif

Stefano Brognoli is out of contract and has decided to leave icon_frown.gif He had a great first season, but hasn't done much since. Batistuta and Campolonghi are far more effective.

....but I've persuaded him to sign a new contract icon_biggrin.gif Brognoli will rejoin - he is a decent striker anyway, and always useful in a crisis icon_cool.gif

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

European Defender of the Year - Francesco Coco (Inter)

European Midfielder of the Year - Andrea Pirlo (Milan)

European Striker of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

Gabriel Batistuta is voted Fans Player of the Year icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

lots to catch up on

Once again, the Serie C Cup Groups are drawn....

Group D

Biellese

Meda

Torres

Valenzana

VARESE

Valenzana again icon_redface.gif Every year we play them in the Cup.

And it's time to view the new fixtures icon_smile.gif

We open up away at Pisa, before the home campaign starts against Treviso. Then we're off to Triestina. We have to get off to a good start this time around - it cost us last year.

Holland won their 2nd European Championship today, beating Germany 1-0 in Lisbon. David Mendes Da Silva scored a crucial last gasp, 89th minute goal to give Advocaat's side the glory to add to the 1988 victory.

Dejan Simac, Marijan Buljat and Saso Jakomin all join up with us today, and are immediately looking quit good. The board stop me signing a prolific striker *again* icon_mad.gif as they veto the deal for Mateusz Dobek icon_frown.gif I'm still trying though

All attempts at getting Dobek are cancelled, as his club Elana now want more money icon_frown.gif I have however brough back Marco Alberio from Igea Virtus on another season's loan. He scored 19 for my reserves last season, and I might have to give him a full chance in the first team.

I've also brought in ex-Arsenal youngster Steven Sidwell in on a monthly contract icon_smile.gif

Stefano Brognoli tore his groin muscle this afternoon and will be out of action for 3 months. icon_frown.gif

Our pre-season warmup starts today as Meda visit in the Serie C Cup. I choose to debut Buljat, Simac, Alberio, and Sidwell alongside Santi in a tough midfield.

Varese 3

Batistuta 2

Alberio 28, 87

Meda 3

Nino 14

Goisis 32

Magliocco 88

I'm happy that we can still score goals, even without last season's top scorer Campolonghi any more. The first shot of the day was Batistuta's siding effort to convert Fuoco's cross icon_smile.gif But Meda hit back, Nino collecting a loose ball before stroking home. Alberio was given a chance to score on his full debut for us, and took Sidwell's flick on before flicking home. But Goisis levelled for Meda again, tapping in a rebound from a shot Girardi couldn't hold. Whilst we didn't score we were OK, but 3 minutes left on the clock we were gifted an apparent winner. Schiavone dropped the cross, and Alberio was there to tap in icon_smile.gif But it wasn't a winner icon_frown.gif as Magliocco rifled home a 30 yard cracker to steal a point. We need to work on the defence as a unit.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Simac, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Batistuta

I bring in another loan signing as they are the best for a side like us with no money. Brescia have kindly allowed me to take Dario Manzoni on loan for the rest of the season. He's a decent centre back, hopefully he can stop the gap in the middle of our defence, where at the moment a bus could drive through.

• Administrators

Manzoni is immediately drafted in alongside Gorini to improve the defence for the trip to Torres. Plaquet also starts in place of Fuoco.

Torres 1

Rey 40

Varese 1

Alberio 18

Santi sent off 28

This was a real end to end match that was probably a fair result eventually. In just the 8th minute Molinaro had a header cleared off the line icon_frown.gif and a minute later Buljat hit the post. But on 18 a fine move down the left saw Sbrizzo give Plaquet the chance to feed Alberio, who controlled before smashing in icon_smile.gif Christian Santi was then given 2 yellow cards, for shirt pulling and then a mistimed slide. Whilst we were still reshuffling, Torres dangerman Emiliano Rey went on a run and clipped over Girardi. icon_frown.gif From then on it was end to end, as Batistuta and Alberio, and Rey and Udassi were kept out repeatedly by Zana and Girardi respectively. A draw was eventually fair, and we were a lot better defensively.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Batistuta

After the game Nicola Legrottaglie agrees to return here after a moderately good loan spell last season. We'll have him unitl June icon_smile.gif and he will be a very crucial part of the defence icon_smile.gif But he can't play for 2 weeks through injury icon_frown.gif

One change is required as Biellese are next up - Christian Santi is suspended, and Fuoco comes in icon_smile.gif

Varese 2

Alberio 32

Batistuta 90

Biellese 0

Comfortably if not easy, but it's a confidence giving win. The first half hour was all about Alberio. He came close on a few occasions, but finally found his range on 32 minutes, as Plaquet bravely flicked on for Alberio to take the ball clear and leave the keeper flailing. icon_smile.gif To be fair, our visitors did cause us some problems in the 2nd half, Ligori and Bettarini giving us something to think over. But we were more dangerous, as first Buljat and later Batistuta showed. Batigol scored his second of this season in injury time, heading past Alessandro Roncone to secure us a very good 2-0 win icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Batistuta

Graham Allner of Cheltenham contacts me today with news that he is prepared to bid £120,000 for Neil Roberts. I snap his hand off, so to speak. We really need the money, so I give him permission to talk to my unhappy striker icon_smile.gif

We go to Valenzana for the last of our Serie C Cup games - Santi returns for Fuoco.

Valenzana 0

Varese 3

Alberio 12, 77

Biagetti own goal 62

We finish a Serie C Cup Group Phase unbeaten icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif But other results mean we fall one point behind qualifiers Biellese. icon_frown.gif Still, we were never tested today, as Marco Alberio showed he can produce the goods when required. His first today was a fabulous diving header from Santi's cross. His 2nd was after sub Alessio Biagetti had headed past his own keeper to give us a 2-0 advantage icon_smile.gif Alberio grabbed the 3rd with a volley from a Stevie Sidwell assist. Another comfortable win, but are we making it comfortable, or are the opposition?

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Batistuta

• Administrators

Neil Roberts left today to join Cheltenham for the nice fee of £120k - money that keeps us in a nice balance financially.

A very tough game starts our league season away at Pisa. Santi and Molinaro are carrying suspensions from last season, so Fuoco and Presotto get calls.

Pisa 0

Varese 0

This was one of the games we would have lost in previous years, but a new character is evolving. My side battled today - it may not always have been pretty, but dammit we worked for our point. Defences were much on top, and the first half saw little goal action to talk of, bar Alberio's poor finishing and Furiani's dipping volley that was athletically pushed over by Girardi icon_smile.gif The 2nd half was livelier, as first Anacliero and then Alberio tested the woodwork, but to no avail. A draw was again probably fair, and we worked so hard to stay unbeaten, and to record our 3rd clean sheet in a row icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Batistuta

Treviso will be a tough proposition for our first home game this season. Molinaro and Santi are available again, and I will gamble on Bastituta's fitness after he had a bad chest all week.

Varese 3

Alberio 38

Plaquet 40

Buljat 45

Plaquet sent off 55

Batistuta injured 64

Alberio injured 79

Treviso 1

Foggia 69

So we got the win, which was very nice, but at what price? A tight first half suddenly exploded at the tail end of proceedings, as Alberio found a way past the hapless Domenico Doardo from Plaquet's cross to trouble the scorers. Just 2 minutes later Plaquet met Batistuta's pass full on and executed a bullet into the bottom corner - and then we made it three icon_biggrin.gif Sidwell crossed, and Alberio couldn't quite glance the ball home, but Buljat followed in for his first ever goal for the club icon_cool.gif We had a very comfortable lead and looked like we could extend it, but things started to change. Laurent Plaquet had a strange rush of blood which made him inexplicably thump Mattia Pazzi in the face. He had to go, and he has to be punished by myself and the FA - no way will any appeal be heard. Injuries started to set in, as Batistuta couldn't carry on, as his injury was badly affecting his performance. He may need 2 weeks to recover fully. Pasquale Foggia broke our defence 5 minutes later with a header that Girardi couldn't stop - the only thing he couldn't stop today - the youngster was excellent icon_smile.gif Then the bad news - prolific striker Alberio was hurt badly in an aerial challenge, and went off with broken ribs - 2 months out apparently icon_frown.gif But we won and are still unbeaten.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio (Fuoco 79), Batistuta (Jakomin 64)

I need to find a striker capable of scoring prolifically enough to replace Alberio for a short term - Jakomin has promised in training, and it's only fair I try him at Triestina :/

To my surprise, we are entered in the 2nd round draw for the Serie C Cup icon_eek.gif Apparently 2nd place was good enough to progress icon_smile.gif

We are drawn at home against C1/B side Brindisi. The game will be played over 2 legs, witho ourselves at home first.

• Administrators

Laurent Plaquet had had his suspension extended to 8 games for a dismissal last match, and probably deserved too. His actions were better off in a boxing ring. Still, we'll miss his pinpoint crossing.

I get another player on loan, and another we had last season. Luca Matteassi comes in until the end of the season, and he is going to be a very key player if we are to do anything this season. He was instrumental in our 'success' last season, and it's great he's back icon_smile.gif

A new look strike force lines up away at Triestina today. In the absence of Alberio and Batistuta, Saso Jakomin starts for the first time, and Luca Matteassi is given a more attacking role up front.

Triestina 1

Lardieri 37

Varese 3

Buljat 13, 38

Gorini 30

Obviously Marijan Buljat wants to earn his right wing berth with the news that I've brought back Matteassi. The Croatian winger was immense today, as he opened the scoring on 13 minutes with a header from a Matteassi cross icon_smile.gif As ever, 1-0 isn't strong enough, but 2-0 is better, and captain Edoardo Gorini crashed a header past Matteo Apuzzo from Santi's right wing corner. Triestina halved the deficit 7 minutes later when Lardieri just about found the net from a rebound after Girardi stopped M'Hadhbi's shot. But straight down the other end we went, as Matteassi went at the defence at real speed. When he was tackled, Buljat picked it up and drove in the final goal icon_smile.gif We were never in danger of relinquishing the lead, in fact we were more dangerous throughout. And impressive too icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Matteassi, Jakomin

Spal come to the Franco Ossola today. Both of us have had good starts to the season, so it'll be tough. It finished 4-4 last season icon_biggrin.gif a clean sheet will be a marked improvement,

Varese 0

Spal 0

And a clean sheet it was icon_smile.gif We tried and tried, but Spal's house was too strong to break down. Luca Matteassi showed our intentions early, as a mazy run ended in a drive over, and then a hooked volley hit the post. Spal keeper Simone Del Mestre was great, as anything we got through the back 2 was saved very well. Our defence was strong too, as it has been this season, a real plus point. Girardi made some good saves, and Manzoni and Sbrizzo were getting stuck in icon_smile.gif A positive result again, as we remain in a very good position.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Matteassi, Jakomin

Some bad injury news icon_frown.gif Fuoco is out for 3 weeks, but that's not half of it. Batistuta has a torn groin muscle, and will miss 2 months icon_frown.gif Still, we've done OK so far without him. But he makes a hell of a difference when he plays.

• Administrators

Pistoiese are another tough proposition today, and with our weaker side it becomes even harder. Anders Nielsen gets a start on the left.

Pistoiese 1

Ferro 16

Varese 1

Jakomin 15

Not a bad performance, but after we scored we probably could have held on for longer than we did. It was Christian Santi who put Saso Jakomin away, and the striker - called up to the Slovenia squad last week - buried his first for the club icon_smile.gif But immediately the opposition drew level, as Ferro scored his 50th career goal. The referee was a little card happy, booking Santi, Nielsen, Buljat, and Sidwell - all 4 of my midfielders. Still, we can be considered lucky to have got anything, and to remain unbeaten is a benefit.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Nielsen, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Matteassi, Jakomin

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I am forced to blood 15 year old Gianluca Cinquetti into first team action against Ciro Ferrara's Ancona.

Varese 1

Matteassi 19

Sbrizzo injured 62

Buljat injured 62

Ancona 1

Maini 69

Injuries - oh how I despise you icon_mad.gif A draw was again a great result considering all things. Luca Matteassi glanced a header into the far corner to give us a goal lead, which we bravely held onto until the break in the face of some strong attacking. After the hour though, we were struck down with a double blow. Sbrizzo and Buljat collided at a corner, and both ended up needing to go off. Sbrizzo will be back soon enough, but Buljat twisted his knee and will be out for 3 weeks icon_frown.gif But we still lead - now for long though, as experienced veteran Giampiero Maini scored an equaliser. Both fans will claim their side deserved it, and it was another fair draw in this manager's opinion. And we remain unbeaten. Still icon_biggrin.gif the only side in the division to be!

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo (Loria 62), Nielsen, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat (Sergio Paez 52), Matteassi, Cinquetti

I have to field an almost reserve side at home to Brindisi in the Cup tonight. Santi, Fuoco, Sbrizzo, Buljat, Batistuta and Alberio are all out, but Plaquet isn't suspended for the Cup, so he returns on the left.

Varese 0

Brindisi 1

Canosa 71

OK, so we lost the unbeaten run, but at least it wasn't a league game. I'm far from happy with referee Sandro Katanec, who refused us two clear penalties in the first half. Brindisi keeper Adami clipped Matteassi's feet on 29, but nothing given. Then, 3 minutes later, exactly the same happened icon_mad.gif And to top it all, Adami had an inspired game, keeping Matteassi and Jakomin at bay, as we couldn't break them down. Just short of 20 minutes from time ex-Deportivo reserve Canosa stabbed in the only goal of the game. Horrendous conditions didn't help our cause, and I can only hope it's a minor setback. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Legrottaglie, Nielsen, Santi, Sidwell, Plaquet, Matteassi, Jakomin

Next 2 games are against Fermana and Padova - the two best sides in the league - and here we are with a depleted squad icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

cheers ghostwriter icon_smile.gif

----------

For the trip to Fermana I have to drop Matteassi into midfield and give Sergio Paez a first start in an absolute age. Sbrizzo can return at left back as well.

Fermana 1

Scotti 13

Varese 2

Sergio Paez 16

Matteassi 34

This was a great result if you consider everything against us. Fermana came out very aggressively and got the early goal they looked for when Luigi Scotti bundled in Luca Lacrimini's cross. It was imperative we got level quickly, and we did, through, to my surprise, Sergio Paez icon_redface.gif He may have been missing for ages, but he hasn't forgotten where the net is, as just 3 minutes after falling behind the Spaniard headed in a darting cross from Sidwell. icon_smile.gif On the half hour Luca Matteassi had a goal disallowed for offside (debatable) and I thought "Here we go again icon_rolleyes.gif referees against us" but Matteassi got his revenge - just 4 minutes later Paez hit the post, and Matteassi hit a missile of a rebound into the corner past Mauro Chiodini. My message at half time was to get a 3rd - I was desperate, because Fermana are a dangerous attacking side. We took a fair old beating in the 2nd half, but Girardi, Manzoni and Gorini in particular were stunning, as we held on for another famous victory icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Nielsen, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Sergio Paez, Jakomin

Padova next - they're top, and have only lost once.

Padova are going to be our hardest task yet - but we're a bit stronger for the return of Fuoco. But Manzoni misses out, allowing Legrottaglie to start.

Varese 2

Sergio Paez 31

Fuoco 56

Padova 1

Paschetta 1

icon_biggrin.gif \o/ we won! We did what I though wasn't possible, and beat a Padova side stronger than what I was able to put out. We couldn't have made it any harder, as inside the first 30 seconds Ruggiu went running, and his cutback was converted with unmarked ease by Giovanni Paschetta icon_frown.gif Ominous, yet we were still in it, as Sergio Paez mis-hit a scissors kick - but we were creating. Half an hour after we went behind, we levelled things up. A great chance fell to Jakomin, who forced a good save from Andrea Armellini, but there was Sergio Paez to bury the rebound icon_smile.gif Girardi made an excellent 52nd minute save from a speculative strike by Ruggiu, and then we struck again. Sbrizzo lined up a free kick. An exocet missile was unleashed, something Roberto Carlos would have been proud of, that Armellini could only parry. There was Fuoco, who scored his first of the season. Girardi was strong and commanding when needed, and we maintained the unbeaten league record with a win against the leaders icon_cool.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Sergio Paez, Jakomin

I could do without a trip to Biellese in the Cup, as it will only serve to deplete our squad. Fuoco maintains a starting place ahead of Plaquet.

Biellese 2

D'Amble 19

Francioso 56

Varese 1

Gorini 29 pen

I'm not happy at the loss, the elimination, or the officiating. icon_mad.gif The hosts were clearly better prepared, as D'Amble's 19th minute header was the fruition of hard pressure. But we drew level, as a controversial decision to give a penalty for a trip on Santi saw Gorini convert from 12 yards. The referee's whistle brought an end to the madness of the first half, but Francioso drove in an eventual winner on 56. We then survived Balducci hitting the post. 15 minutes left, and Sergio Paez equalised! But no, he was adjudged to have impeded Calabro icon_rolleyes.gif It's been a while since I had a rant at officials, but it's here now. I'll give the usual excuse - we can focus on the league, but I can't hide my disappointment.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Fuoco (Plaquet 45), Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Sergio Paez, Jakomin

[This message was edited by Junichi Inamoto on 05 February 2003 at 18:42.]

• Administrators

The team I take to Reggiana resembles a stronger side, as Buljat and Manzoni can return.

Reggiana 1

Minetti 39

Varese 0

The last unbeaten record in the league goes icon_frown.gif We tried sooo hard, but our lack of firepower is becoming apparent. Teams are wising up to that, and become more confident. Massimo Minetti's header was the highlight of a dour game, as he beat Girardi to inflict our first defeat in the League. I blame Biellese - beating us in the Cup twice icon_mad.gif How dare they icon_mad.gif The sooner I can get Alberio and/or Batistuta back playing, the better.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Sergio Paez, Matteassi

FINALLY I can pick Marco Alberio to start a game. Batistuta will return soon, but for now Alberio partners Luca Matteassi in attack as Cremonese come to try and improve a struggling season.

Varese 4

Matteassi 22, 42

Buljat 48

Fuoco 59

Cremonese 1

Gallina 4

He may not have scored, but the fact Alberio played meant that the opponents have to pay special attention to him, and therefore others are left with more space. But it was us who left Imerio Gallina in too much space to head in a 4th minute free kick. Fearing a shock, I urged my team to level as soon as possible, and we did. Molinaro hit a searching cross into the area, and Alberio was lurking. It never reached him - Matteassi hit the ball like an express train to equalise icon_smile.gif On 42 minutes makeshift striker Matteassi took Alberio's header, before delicately yet delightfully executing a chip over Bianchi to score a goal which would grace the top level. He almost repeated the feat 2 minutes later, but Bianchi denied him a hat-trick with a superb agile fingertip save. But another tremendous goal gave us a stronger lead soon after the restart. Santi clipped a corner to the back post, where Marijan Buljat hit a full-blooded volley on the full, past a shellshocked Bianchi. By now we were in total control, and Fuoco extended the lead after Manzoni's header was spilled. Cremonese tried to gain some respectability, but stood no chance in the face of an angry team, unleashing revenge after 2 defeats. A great result and performance icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Matteassi

For the first time I am able to field my strongest and most preferred eleven, as Batistuta comes in for Buljat and Matteassi slots into the right wing for the visit to Monza.

Monza 1

Piccioni 90

Manzoni inured 69

Varese 1

Alberio 41

Words cannot describe how gutted I am, that Marco Piccioni headed Monza's equaliser with the last touch of the match, a match we deserved to win. Marco Alberio found the goal trail again 4 minutes before half time with a simple left footed finish. On the hour came a moment I knew we'd rue - Batistuta missed a complete sitter of a chance that would have given us a win. And we regretted it badly as Piccioni levelled it up late, late in the day. But we're still pretty well placed in the League.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni (Legrottaglie 69), Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Santi, Sidwell, Buljat, Alberio, Matteassi

Dario Manzoni badly hurt his ankle, and he could be out for 2-4 weeks.

• Administrators

Next opponents are bottom of the league Albinoleffe. They've taken 3 points from 33 so far, a humiliation for Daniele Marino's side, who are usually pushing for success. Legrottaglie comes in for the injured Manzoni.

Varese 4

Legrottaglie 3

Santi 26

Batistuta 30

Alberio 35

Batistuta injured 48

Albinoleffe 1

Pellegris 58

This was over in the first 3 minutes. Once Nicola Legrottaglie's thumping header put us ahead - the defender's first goal for us, and first for 3 seasons - we were always going to be comfortable. The only suprise was that it took us so long to get a 2nd - Christian Santi scored only his 2nd ever career goal, as Molinaro put him clear, and he finished like a true striker. icon_smile.gif By now Santi was having the game of his life, and 4 minutes later he threaded a pass to Batistuta, who caressed the ball past the hapless Achille Coser to make it 3-0. Santi claimed another assist 5 minutes later, passing for Alberio to put any result beyond doubt. Batistuta was forced off shortly after the restart with a bad cut on the knee, but it needs a bit of rest. Manuel Pellegris pulled back a consolation as Albinoleffe came back better in the 2nd half, but we move into 2nd place with the impressive result.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta (Buljat 48)

Santi was back to his stupifying best today, scoring one and making 2 others, but running the show at the same time. He and Stevie Sidwell are producing an impressive partnership in the midfield. icon_smile.gif

The game away at Pro Patria can be seen as a must win - they're top, but a win for us would significantly shorten the gap. Sergio Paez is in for the injured Batistuta.

Pro Patria 2

Matteini 16

Ruopolo 72

Varese 1

Sergio Paez 61

Legrottaglie injured 48

Only our 2nd defeat of the season, and although they shaded it, I feel that we could have taken something out of the match. The first goal was the important one, and unfortunately it went to the leaders, as Matteini headed in Sgrigna's cross icon_frown.gif But we were far from being shamed, and we finally got some reward a little after the hour, as Sergio Paez broke away on the right, and blasted the shot into the corner to level up proceedings icon_smile.gif But we were just not good enough to hold out, as Sgrigna corssed again for Ruopolo to head past the flailing arms of Girardi to take the win icon_frown.gif Still, we are in a strong enough posotion to rebuild again.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Legrottaglie (Simac 48), Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Sergio Paez

Legrottaglie is out for 2 months with a very bad hamstring tear icon_frown.gif

Gubbio are a mid table side who visit today, and without being complacent I'm kind of confident. Simac is required at centre back.

Varese 0

Gubbio 0

Luck wasn't on our side today, especially the first half. 4 minutes in Marco Alberio crashed a shot off the crossbar, and Sergio Paez did the same on 21 minutes with a volley. On 29 minutes, Paez did it again - the 3rd time we hit the bar icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif Domenico Cecere had an outstanding match between the sticks for Gubbio, as time and again he turned us away. Still, a bonus clean sheet, and whilst we're slightly falling, we are still much in touch.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Simac, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Sergio Paez

• Administrators

Gabi Batistuta returns to action on the ground he scored 5 on last season - at Spezia.

Spezia 1

Torino 62

Varese 1

Alberio 22

Our loss of form worries me somewhat. OK, we drew, but our good work earlier in the season could be going downhill if we don't register a win soon. Alberio moved into double figures on 22 minutes, heading in Laurent Plaquet's cross. icon_smile.gif Our defence was as solid as ever, but we weren't making enough presence in midfield in Santi's absence. Prolific frontman Vittorio Torino finally levelled for Spezia after some woeful shooting, and the points were shared. We're playing well enough to warrant a higher place, but 7th isn't bad - but 2nd was better 3 games ago. icon_frown.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Simac, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

Our last game of the year sees us face Alessandria at home. The visitors are struggling, whilst we are embroiled in a 7 team battle for top spot. For the first time in a while I am able to name the side I would pick every game, because Manzoni is now fit, and Santi returns from suspension. icon_smile.gif

Varese 2

Alberio 45

Batistuta 70

Alessandria 1

Arrais 60

2-1 flattered Alessandria just a little bit. They were under the cosh throughout, and it surprised me a little that it took so long to break down Dino Pagliari's men. Tiziano Ramon kept us out for as long as physically possible, before Alberio broke their resolve in first half stoppage time, sweeping in Gorini's cross with nonchalent ease. icon_smile.gif It was the perfect time to score, but we failed to capitalise on it. As the hour arrived, cue Carlo Arrais to meet Paolo Bravo's corner to head in his first goal for Alessandria, and level up. I felt we always had another goal in us, and sure enough, Gabi Batistuta scored the winner by striking a loose ball like a scud missile into the bottom corner. We can play better, but we end the year with a nice win.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

We now have an 18 day Christmas and New Year break, which, as ever, should give the squad time to rid themselves of any niggling injuries and the like. They musn't pick up any new injuries, however. icon_biggrin.gif

Another calender year at the helm at Varese starts with a 'local' derby against Cittadella. Most injuries have gone - but Presotto has to come in for Cristian Molinaro, who's twisted his knee.

Varese 2

Alberio 19, 63

Cittadella 0

The 'gulf' in form and quality showed today, as it was us who forced the issue, and got what we deserved. After 'testing the water' so to say, we made a breakthrough on 19 minutes, heading in an unplayable cross from Sbrizzo. icon_smile.gif . The closest Cittadella came was on 54 minutes, through Stefano Dell'Acqua, who hit the post with a header. But once Siwell gave Alberio the chance to make it 2-0 with a double for the striker and increase his tally to 13, the points were ours. Batistuta could, probably should, have made it 3-0, but blazed over. We're back into the playoff zone icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

evidence of which is seen in the league table

Italian Serie C1/A - Thursday 6th January 2005

2004/5 Table

1st Pro Patria 17 6 1 2 19 13 4 3 1 17 11 34

2nd Pisa 17 6 2 0 16 6 3 4 2 18 13 33

3rd Spal 17 6 0 2 13 10 4 2 3 14 9 32

4th Padova 17 6 1 2 18 9 3 3 2 14 10 31

5th VARESE 17 6 3 0 18 6 2 4 2 9 8 31

6th Triestina 17 4 3 1 15 8 5 1 3 19 22 31

7th Fermana 17 4 3 1 14 8 4 3 2 17 13 30

8th Reggiana 17 6 3 0 17 8 2 0 6 6 16 27

9th Spezia 17 4 4 1 19 10 3 0 5 14 15 25

10th Gubbio 17 5 1 3 20 15 2 2 4 7 10 24

11th Treviso 17 5 1 2 15 10 2 2 5 12 18 24

12th Pistoiese 17 3 3 2 15 12 2 3 4 13 16 21

13th Ancona 17 2 2 4 15 16 3 3 3 11 13 20

14th Cittadella 17 1 3 4 14 17 3 0 6 13 21 15

15th Monza 17 1 2 6 7 16 2 3 3 9 10 14

16th Alessandria 17 2 1 5 10 12 1 3 5 8 16 13

17th Cremonese 17 2 4 3 11 14 0 1 7 4 17 11

18th Albinoleffe 17 2 0 7 9 22 0 0 8 7 27 6

</pre>

• Administrators

Marco Alberio misses out for the game against Pisa. It's a battle between two of the better placed teams, and avoiding defeat will put us in a very nice position. Sergio Paez comes on for Alberio.

Varese 1

Batistuta 81

Pisa 1

Constantino 16

It looked for an awful long time as if Pisa were going to get away with a 1-0 win that they didn't truly play well enough for. Undoubtedly we missed Alberio's ability to put almost anu chance in the net, as although Sergio Paez played very well, he couldn't turn the play into goals. Raffaele Constantino put the Nerazzurri ahead with a lovely strike from Anaclerio's delivery. We did well not to fall further behind, as Pisa looked to strengthen their grip on the game, as Constantino really should have had a 2nd. From then on it was all us. Batistuta (thrice), Gorini, Sergio Paez (twice), and Manzoni were all denied by bad finishing or great goalkeeping. It would not go our way, not for the first time. Matteassi hit a header centimetres wide, Santi misplaced a header - and then we finally got one. The central combination of Sidwell and Santi combined to give Batistuta a chance, which he took with glee to calm a few nerves, and clinch a deserved but unlikely point, keeping us very much in the hunt. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Presotto, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Sergio Paez, Batistuta

We visit a managerless Treviso side today. They sacked Elio Gustinetti in midweek, after a season that has seen promotion hopes turn into mid table obscurity. My record against teams without managers is poor, and caretaker Francesco Baggio will have his side pumped for the game. Molinaro returns at right back.

Treviso 0

Bianco sent off 30

Varese 4

Sergio Paez 14

Batistuta 37

Manzoni 64

Plaquet 90

Easy. Treviso hardly threatened at all, and their defence was the proverbial rabbit in the face of the headlights that was our attack. It took 14 minutes to get a goal, through Sergio Paez, who has been going through a good spell recently. The Spaniard kept up his purple patch by rifling home a ball no-one wanted to take control of. It wasn't hard to get the 2nd we needed, with Batistuta found the net again, with a header from Luca Matteassi's cross. The goals sandwiched Paolo Bianco's red card for holding Sergio Paez back from a 1 on 1 chance. Harsh yes, but we've had our fair share against us. Dario Manzoni was involved quite often in attacking situations today, and the centre back scored his first for us on 64, tapping in his own rebound from a header that was saved. 3 became 4 in injury time through Laurent Plaquet's 30 yard blockbuster, capping a wonderful performance icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Sergio Paez, Batistuta

I'm half reluctant to play Alberio today. He's back to full fitness, and ordinarily would be first choice, but Sergio Paez has been playing very well, and Batistuta's been feeding off him. I'll play Alberio.

Varese 2

Alberio 40, 43

Triestina 1

Lanzellotto 25

And what a good decision it was to play Alberio icon_biggrin.gif Triestina shocked me, and the 5000 or so fans who turned up, by taking the lead much against the run of things when Stefano Lanzellotto headed home his 2nd of the season. Batistuta grazed the crossbar 5 minutes later, but our next foray forwards gave us the all important equaliser. Manzoni ran one way, and chipped in a pass the other way, where it was met by Alberio's left foot to volley past Matteo Apuzzo's right handed sprawl. Just 3 minutes later a swift counter attack from Sidwell to Santi to Matteassi and finally to Alberio saw the hitman claim his 15th of the season through a powerful header. Alberio nearly completed a treble on 81, but his sliding shot went a couple of feet wide. Stevie Sidwell's passing was a delight to behold today, as we carry on fine recent form icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

• Administrators

The 14 day break we've just had could work 2 ways - give us time to rest, or take some impetus away from our form. Unchanged away to Spal.

Spal 1

Zanoncelli 54 pen

Varese 0

Only a penalty sperated us today, and although it was a dubious decision, Spal deserved to win icon_frown.gif Zanoncelii dispatched the kick on 54 minutes as the only highlight of a poor game. Matteassi had our best chance 5 minutes from time, but balzed over. What makes it more painful is that if we had won, we would be top, as Fermana beat Pro Patria 3-0. Instead the honour goes to Fermana themselves, as we are shunted down into 4th. Not the best of days.

We must get back to winning as soon as possible, and the visit of Pistoiese gives a perfect chance to do so. Simone Loria comes in for the suspended Sbrizzo.

Varese 3

Gorini 29

Santi 33

Matteassi 90

Pistoiese 1

Agostinelli 45

It wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline makes out. It took some hard battling to get the lead, and in a very rare way. The ball was cleared from a corner, but only to Edoardo Gorini, who hit a 25 yard corker into the top corner icon_biggrin.gif for his 3rd of the season - his most prolific season for 6 years. 4 minutes later Christian Santi doubled the advantage, finishing an open goal from a spillage after Batistuta shot. It was his 2nd of the season and 3rd of his career icon_smile.gif But Gianmarco Agostinelli made things complicated on half time with a well placed right footed shot. The visitors then took over, attacking whilst we did all we could to defend stoutly. On 70 minutes I thought it was over as Marco Ferro headed past Girardi, but he was about a foot offside, noticed by the referee's assistant. In injury time we got the important 3rd, Luca Matteassi's 5th of the campaign from 20 yards into the top corner. We're back in 2nd - 2 points off Padova. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Loria, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

The next 3 games are absolutely pivotal to our fortunes, starting with the easier of them away at Ancona. That said, it'll be a tough sort of game against a side battling for their lives, managed by Ciro Ferrara - one of the best battlers.

Ancona 1

Degano 2

Scarpi sent off 16

Varese 3

Alberio 3, 24

Batistuta 48

Alberio missed pen 16

The first 15 minutes of this match are amongst the weirdest in my experiences. The shock arrived 2 minutes in when Daniele Degano ran through unchallenged to score. But my intensive drilling of scoring very quickly after conceding is starting to pay off, as we went back and scored immediately, Alberio smashing the ball into the net icon_smile.gif It then got interesting. Batistuta ran through and was sent tumbling by Alessio Scarpi. Referee Pierluigi Latella sent the home goalkeeper off, and I expected to take the lead. But Alberio took the kick ahead of Edoardo Gorini, which surprised me a little, and had it saved by substitute Domenico Pace, who ended up playing a blinder. Our disappointment was relieved soon enough, when Alberio made amends, as Batistuta and Matteassi found space for the prolific striker to add another notch. Batistuta got in on the act rapidly after the restart, linking well with Plaquet before finishing the clinching strike.

• Administrators

The next 3 games couldn't be harder - Fermana at home, Padova away, Reggiana at home. Our title credentials will be tested to their fullest.

After the game I am told that Saso Jakomin has retired from football with immediate effect and gone home to Slovenia icon_eek.gif What am I meant to do now? icon_eek.gif Totally shaken me.

Part one of the toughness - Fermana at home. I name an unchanged side for the clash.

Varese 2

Plaquet 42

Alberio 57

Fermana 2

Marra 45, 68

I'm seething icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif And all will be explained. A tight first half exploded at the end, as firstly we took the lead through a clean strike by Laurent Plaquet at the near post. Then the first outrage - Francesco Marra headed in the equaliser 5 minutes into first half injury time - where the hell that time came from I'll never know. Into the 2nd half, and we regained the lead, as Alberio made amends for some misses with a tidy one on one finish. Then the 2nd outrage - Batistuta had a goal disallowed for an offside decision against Alberio, who assisted him. He was nowhere near off icon_mad.gif To make it worse, Marra headed in the 2nd equaliser straight away icon_frown.gif Fermana proceeded to sit back, and we surged onwards for a winner. And we got it, only for Fermana to be given yet another reprieve. Alberio rammed the ball home in injury time, but was adjudged to have fouled his marker icon_mad.gif A draw is still good, but a win (which we deserved) would have put us top.

I file my match report as part of my serious complaint to the Italian FA complaining about Davide Mihoci's performance. Grievances include;

+ the unfair disallowing of 2 goals

+ adding extensive first half stoppage time in which Fermana scored

+ The booking of 2 of my players, 1 unfairly, and 1 leading to suspension in a crucial match

+ The result could eventually affect our league placing

I don't expect anything to happen as a result of this poor excuse for a referee. I'm in such a rage at this moment icon_mad.gif

The 2nd leg of our 3 match run which is so important takes us to Padova. Hopefully we'll have a better referee than the shameful excuse for one last match, which meant Christian Santi is suspended today.

Padova 1

Mosson 26

Varese 1

Gorini 60

Thankfully we had a better referee today, and also a top class defence, which turned into attack for one crucial moment. Padova are a very good side, and it wouldn't surprise me if they were one of the two to get promoted at the end (just as long as we're the other icon_biggrin.gif ). They attacked for a majority of the game, and took the lead on 26 minutes through prolific midfielder Alifie Mosson. The stats will tell you we had 13 shots apiece, and we did have our fair share of dominance. Alberio hit the post in first half injury time, which happened shortly after Sbrizzo was lucky to escape a penalty shout against him. On the hour the best player on the field plundered a header into the top corner. Edoardo Gorini's thumping header might just be the most crucial goal we score this season. It keeps us very much in touch with matters at the top, and my captain was simply irresistable today.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

• Administrators

Reggiana are the final game of our run against the top three, and the one I'm more confident about. Santi returns for the newly suspended Sidwell.

Varese 1

Alberio 67

Reggiana 0

The horrible wet March conditions made this match worse to watch and harder to play, and the outcome depended on which team made the best of a bad situation. As it turned out it was us. icon_smile.gif We had the better of the attacking play, but when called upon the whole team worked as a unit and defended for their lives. Most of our first half attacks ended in poor misplaced passes, mainly due to the swirling wind. Things got better in the second half, as Matteassi showed hope was there with a skidding 30 yard shot wide of the near post. 10 minutes later Alberio drove over the crossbar, but we were getting closer. The winner was very lucky. Batistuta cut inside and hit a shot which Alberio ran in front of, and it hit him and deflected in icon_smile.gif And this result means for the first time this season - we're top icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo (Loria 77), Plaquet, Santi, Fuoco, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

The next 3 games could see us consolidate the top spot with matches at Cremonese and Albinoleffe sandwiched around a visit from Monza. All 3 teams are battling the drop, but they could prove to be just as hard as the previous 3 games.

Cremonese away - from the top to the bottom. I know this is a must win match, and it makes it better that our central midfield combo of Santi and Sidwell are back together. Sbrizzo is injured, and is replaced by Loria.

Cremonese 2

Cammarota 24

Tabbiani 51

Varese 3

Alberio 7, 35, 70

Batistuta injured 43

A very tight match, as I thought it would be, but all that matters is that we got the 3 points to keep us top icon_smile.gif Alberio struck his 20th of the season in the opening exchanges with a 20 yard drive into the top of the goal. I was hoping for a 2nd, but it never came before Andrea Cammarota sent in his 3rd of the season. But Alberio gave us the lead again with a lovely turn and curling shot past Lorini's palm icon_smile.gif Yet Cremonese came back again soon into the second half. Tabbiani headed in to end a good move. It was getting desperate by now, as Cremonese were a clear threat, and without Batistuta we were less offensively potent. But not Alberio. He completed his hat-trick, possibly the most vital of his career (in my eyes anyway) with a header from Sidwell's cross after losing his marker. I knew it would be tough, but I couldn't care how badly we play if we can get the points.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Loria, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta (Sergio Paez 43)

The defeat sees Cremonese drop into the relegation playoffs in C1/A. No such luck for us gaining a promotion playoff spot quite yet, as only 6 points seperate us from 6th place. 7 games are left, I figure we need 16 points at least. But I don't like making targets - anything can happen in games, as was shown today.

Monza at home is a match I hope can be a home banker. Sergio Paez is replacing Batistuta, as we should beat the strugglers.

Varese 0

Monza 0

An unfortunate day for us, as we stay top, but the gap is now down to a solitary point after a battle today in a match we should have won, and would have of Sergio Paez's header had not been disallowed for offside. Alberio was again very dangerous, only his finishing let him down rather badly. Plaquet was good on the wing, and almost scored himself late in the day, but Luca Righi produced a number of fine stops today, meaning we draw.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Loria, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Sergio Paez

• Administrators

3 days between games is tough at the business end of the season, and a trip to Albinoleffe is harder than you may think. Pietro Vierchowod has turned them around to an extent, but they are in the relegation dogfight. Sbrizzo is back at left back.

Albinoleffe 1

Pellegris 26

Varese 1

Plaquet 37

Again, I'm disappointed with a draw, considering a little bit of luck could have gone a long way. 6 minutes in Sergio Paez came very close, but wasted from 9 yards. Albinoleffe went in front on 26 minutes thanks to Roberto Pellegris' volley past Girardi. We then should have had a penalty. Alberio was sent tumbling, and the linesman flagged - however, the referee chose to overrule his assistant icon_frown.gif Not to despair badly though, as Laurent Plaquet went on a fine solo burst before dinking a shot over Monterastelli. We had much of the 2nd half, but things are not going our way too much. The lead is now only on goal diffeence over Padova - making a win next time out imperative.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Sergio Paez

3 games in 7 days! icon_mad.gif I don't like it, and Pro Patria will be another hard propostion, made harder by the absence of Manzoni through suspension. I gamble on Batistuta, who's only about 80% fit.

Varese 1

Santi 34

Pro Patria 1

Arioli 68

3 draws in a row, and another we could have won, yet lost at the same time. Just 4 minutes in Ruopolo had a header chalked off for a foul, which saw a combined sigh of relief from the Franco Ossola tifosi. Once Christian Santi had put us into the lead on 34 minutes with a solid shot from Plaquet's assist I thought there was no way back for our guests. I was wrong. Giovanni Arioli beat Sergio Girardi on 68 minutes to take a share of the spoils. Thankfully Padova could only draw as well, meaning we still maintain top spot with 4 games to go. However, if Reggiana win their game in hand we will be involved in a 3 way tie on 55 points at the top. No more slip ups.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Legrottaglie, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

Our last 4 games;

Gubbio (a)

Spezia (h)

Alessandria (a)

Cittadella (a)

3 away games. It's a hard run in, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Administrators

Reggiana could only draw the game in hand away at Pisa. Still, the top is very tight

in fact, the top six couldn't be tighter

Italian Serie C1/A - Wednesday 13th April 2005

1st Varese 30 9 7 0 28 12 5 6 3 21 14 55

2nd Padova 30 11 2 2 31 16 5 5 5 26 24 55

3rd Spezia 30 9 5 2 35 18 7 1 6 26 21 54

4th Fermana 30 7 6 1 25 12 6 8 2 32 25 53

5th Reggiana 30 10 3 2 25 12 6 2 7 24 25 53

6th Spal 30 10 2 3 24 17 6 3 6 20 17 53

</pre>

Everyone is right in the mix, but we're in the best position. Being top however doesn't give us the chance to slip up and stay top. It's going right to the wire - but who will come out on top?

• Administrators

Today is the make or break. I have a feeling, a gut instinct, that the game away at Gubbio is one that has to be won, or we have to face the consequences. I choose to put Bandirali in at left back in place of the suspended Alessandro Sbrizzo. It's the 33 year old's first game of the season.

Gubbio 0

Varese 3

Alberio 27, 62

Batistuta 49

In a time of need you find those people who are there to stand up and be counted. Fortunately, I have a team full of them. icon_smile.gif Gorini, Sidwell and Alberio in particular were outstanding in today's win, which ended up looking easier than it was. Again, the opposition came forwards early, as they tend to do against us, but it suited us. When we sensed a weakness, it was exploited with ruthless clinicalism. Primary example - Alberio's opener. After a long time soaking up pressure, Steven Sidwell went running, crossed the ball, to be met my Alberio's head. Another header gave us a 2-0 lead, and breathing space. Alberio turned provider this time for Batistuta to send in another vital goal. The relief I felt was nothing compared to when Alberio turned in number 3, and clinched some very vital points. We now have a 1 point lead, but not over Padova, Reggiana, nor Fermana. Spezia jumo into 2nd as others slip. Just by coincidence, they're next for us. How pivitol will that be....

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Bandirali, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

Top vs Second. Varese vs Spezia. Make or Break. I have to go unchanged after the last match, meaning Bandirali is slected ahead of Sbrizzo.

Varese 2

Batistuta 19

Alberio 34

Santi 16

Spezia 2

Pastrello 28

Torino 75

What a match. It literally had everything. End to end attacking football from arguably the two best sides in the league, and a draw was probably the right result. Christian Santi went off injured very early, which was not good at all, and his injury could keep him out of the run in icon_frown.gif Three minutes after his injury, Gabi Batistuta scored the opening goal, sending Plaquet's cross past Amelia with a superb volley. We didn't hold on long, because Pastrello equalised with just as nice a volley. But the character was there again, as Marco Agatino Alberio struck gold with his 25th of the season, as he watched the ball fall over his shoulder before rifling to the corner. icon_smile.gif Spezia proceeded to lay seige to the goal. They had no less than 18 attempts on our goal. Vittorio Torino's header on 75 minutes was one attempt too many icon_frown.gif We just couldn't hold on that long. But we are still at the summit of C1/A. Fermana have tied us on points. A win away at Alessandria next Sunday will confirm a playoff spot, but we must claim all 6 points from the last 2 games to keep fate in our own hands.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Manzoni, Bandirali, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

The run ins;

Varese: Alessandria(a), Cittadella(a)

Fermana: Padova(a), Reggiana(h)

Spezia: Cittadella(h), Pisa(a)

Spal: Monza(a), Albinoleffe(h)

Padova: Fermana(h), Alessandria(a)

Reggiana: Pistoise(a), Ancona(h), Fermana(a)

I don't know what effect the fact that so many of the teams have to play each other might mean, but the draw has been kind to ourselves and Spal. Still, it means nothing on paper. We must win both games. Do that, and we're all but champions.

• Administrators

May commences with a trip to Alessandria. They used to cause us no end of problems, but we've had the recent upper hand, unbeaten in three against them. It must become four today. Sbrizzo is back, but Bandirali stays, moving inside as cover for the injured Manzoni. Santi misses out, Fuoco deputises.

Alessandria 1

Omoduemuke 59

Varese 2

Alberio 22, 28

One down, one to go. Alberio turned it on when it really mattered, with 2 goals in an 8 minute burst. The first came on 22 minutes after Castagnone couldn't hold Batistuta's drive, and Alberio swept up. He doubled the lead with a powerful run and shot unleashed into the top corner. icon_smile.gif Alessandria worried us no end in the 2nd period, not least because we couldn't score a third, which would have ended up being more important after Peter Omoduekume headed home to reduce the deficit. But thankfully we were able to hold on, desperately at times, for 3 crucial points.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta

The result guarantees a playoff spot for promotion. We have a 1 point lead again, meaning nothing, as the last game will be a cup final - everything goes out of the window against Cittadella. Gorini, however, is suspended icon_frown.gif

Massimiliano Vieri broke his leg today and will be out for 6 months. Why is that relevant? Because I've agreed to sign him on a Bosman Free icon_frown.gif I signed the deal two months ago, and now he's out until November. Dammit icon_mad.gif

Our day of destiny. A win away at Cittadella will mean we will take the Serie C1/A Title, and gain promotion. Manzoni returns as cover for Gorini, and we have no choice but to win.

Cittadella 1

Macelloni 86

Varese 2

Alberio 14

Matteassi 62

Batistuta injured 19

We've done it! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif The culmination of our 13 match unbeaten end to the season sees ourselves take a very deserved title - the club's highest ever achievement. Alberio's 28th of a successful season gave us the lead with a tap in from Sbrizzo's cross shot. Batistuta then went off injured, giving Stevie Sidwell the chance to captain us for the first time. The Englishman didn't let us down, he was strong as anything throughout. when Luca Matteassi swept home number two 17 minutes into the second half it was time to relax, but not take the champagne off ice. Stefano Macelloni headed in 4 minutes from time to make things tense, but when Davide Mihoci blew for full time, it was pandemonium. We brought 3000 fans to the Euganeo today, and what noise they made as Edoardo Gorini lifted the Championship Trophy to cap a wonderful season! We finally did it!

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Manzoni, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Fuoco, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Batistuta© (Sergio Paez 19)

• Administrators

The final table makes great reading

Italian Serie C1/A - Sunday 8th May 2005

2004/5 Table

1st C Varese 34 9 8 0 30 14 8 6 3 28 16 65

2nd Pl Spezia 34 10 5 2 37 19 9 2 6 33 24 64

3rd Pl Spal 34 12 2 3 27 17 6 5 6 23 20 61

4th Pl Padova 34 12 3 2 34 17 5 6 6 28 27 60

5th Pl Fermana 33 9 6 1 28 12 6 8 3 32 27 59

6th Reggiana 33 10 4 3 26 17 6 3 7 25 26 55

7th Pistoiese 34 7 6 4 28 22 7 5 5 27 25 53

8th Pisa 34 9 4 4 26 17 5 6 6 28 25 52

9th Pro Patria 34 9 4 4 37 26 5 4 8 24 32 50

10th Triestina 34 6 6 5 27 23 7 3 7 34 36 48

11th Treviso 34 8 5 4 31 23 4 6 7 22 28 47

12th Gubbio 34 7 3 7 35 34 7 2 8 27 28 47

13th Cittadella 34 6 4 7 32 28 7 2 8 25 32 45

14th Pl Ancona 34 7 3 7 26 27 5 4 8 22 29 43

15th Pl Monza 34 3 3 11 20 31 3 7 7 16 20 28

16th Pl Alessandria 34 5 4 8 22 28 1 5 11 12 30 27

17th Pl Albinoleffe 34 4 2 11 21 39 1 2 14 14 43 19

18th R Cremonese 34 2 6 9 22 35 0 2 15 9 41 14

</pre>

• Administrators

cheers Nick and Spooky icon_smile.gif

--------------------

As winners of C1/A we are obliged to play the winners of C1/B in the C1 Super Cup. That means a game at the Franco Ossola against Chieti today. Santi and Gorini return.

Varese 2

Alberio 69, 83

Chieti 0

The difference in quality was evident, as we swamped Chieti with ease. Alberio reached 30 goals with a brace to give us another trophy for Gorini to lift icon_smile.gif It took a while to come, but Alberio found the net with a rebound into an open goal. The second was later, but it merely put the cherry on top of the icing on the cake of our season. Sidwell sent him clear, and he chipped the advancing Landolfo to give us the spoils. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Manzoni, Gorini©, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Santi, Sidwell, Matteassi, Alberio, Sergio Paez

What's been going on in Europe?

Here on the Italian peninsula Inter won their first scudetto for 16 years by a comprehensive 5 point margin from Lazio. The 27 goal partnership of Crespo and Vieri was too much for the Serie A defences to handle. Roma end up in 3rd place, followed by Parma, Milan and Juventus. Making the drop to Serie B are Fiorentina, Udinese, Como, and Reggina. Returning to the top flight are Verona, Torino, Chievo, and Venezia.

England saw Liverpool win the Barclaycard Premiership by just as comprehensive a margin, 9 points from Manchester United's grasp. Just 15 goals conceded led to Hyypia and Henchoz receiving 1st and 2nd place in the Footballer of the Year prizes. Leeds take 3rd and Chelsea 4th, with Sunderland in 5th place - their best Premiership finish. Three big sides experienced relegation, as Man City, West Ham and Tottenham all found the 38 games too tough. Achieving promotion from Division One are Nottingham Forest as Champions, Everton as runners up, and Watford through the playoffs.

Barcelona continue to dominate in Spain, taking the title crown by a whopping 22 points, leaving Betis floundering in second spot. Van Gaal's men are simply unstoppable, as the Catalan club took a 3rd consecutive top spot. Athletic Bilbao achieved 3rd place, with Real Madrid just pipping neighbours Atletico into 4th. Cordoba, Rayo and Oviedo all go straight down after one season of return, replaced by Salamanca, Las Palmas and Recreativo Huelva.

Lyon won their first French title in 4 seasons with a dramatic draw at Marseille on the penultimate game. Alberto Luque's last minute strike gave them the title, as one of an amazing 40 goals for the ex Mallorca attacker. Bordeaux finish in 3rd place behind Lyon and Marseille, whilt PSG disappoint in 8th. The relegated side are Sedan, Nancy, and Niort. Their replacements will be three sides used to top level French football - Metz, Bastia and Cannes.

And in Germany Dortmund continued their recent success with a 2nd successive Bundesliga title. A 3 point margin over Leverkusen allowed Sammer's men to even lose the final game. Schalke and Hertha occupy the next two places, meaning Bayern Munchen are way back in 5th. Werder Bremen as one of the relegated sides is a huge shock, but MGB and Cottbus joining them aren't. The sides gaining promotion are also surprising; seeing Unterhaching, Osnabruck, and Union Berlin finishing above the dotted line.

• Administrators

And the Varese manager's (me icon_biggrin.gif ) season review.

Well, we finally did it. At the 4th time of trying we escaped from the hellhole that is Serie C1/A. It's been hard, but now we can look forward to a testing but not over-awing Serie B campaign for the first time in decades for the club. That itself speaks volumes of the players who have made this possible. Sergio Girardi only conceded 30 goals in his 34 league games, which shows just how improved the defence was. Also a contributing factor is that for most of the season my back four were intact and playing well regularly. Alessandro Sbrizzo was regularly great at left back, and Cristian Molinaro made the right back spot his own, linking well down the wing. My centre backs were outstanding. My captain Edoardo Gorini finally got his hands on some silverware, and nobody deserves that more than he does. He was immense when needed, and 4 vital goals signalled his best ever goalscoring season. His new coaching role alongside his playing obligations will help improve the club. And young loanee from Brescia, Dario Manzoni, made the defence so much more solid, and watertight, as he and Gorini built up a tight understanding. Special mention to the backup - Legrottaglie, Bandirali, and Loria, who all performed brilliantly when needed.

The midfield has, for a long time, been the best part of the side. But one addition last summer, in my opinion, helped this club no end in achieving these feats. When Stevie Sidwell signed for free from Arsenal, I knew we had a bargain. He and Christian Santi have a partnership which would not look out of place in Serie A. And hopefully they'll get the chance to prove it. They kept the side in shape, a key feature for a team playing the type of football we do. That involves wingers, and I had two of the better ones. Laurent Plaquet and Luca Matteassi contributed 10 goals and 15 assists between them, showing how important they are. Matteassi will go back to Verona, but if I can get him back for a 3rd season I will. Marijan Buljat and Marco Fuoco

scored at important times during the injury crisis, a spell we came through unscathed because of this.

And then the attack. For the second season in a row a striker scored a goal per game. Following in Marcello Campolonghi's wake, Marco Agatino Alberio scored 30 goals in 30 games, and through his firepower we stormed to the top of the league and didn't look back. Gabi Batistuta chipped in with 9 goals, but the role he plays is far more important. But they were regularly injured, so Sergio Paez is also worthy of praise for his 4 goals, again a majority of them vital.

And so we won the League. We have to remember that it is only C1/A, not Serie A, but it's still an achievement. Survival in Serie B is next on the agenda, but also to enjoy it. I have a few signings to reveal, but not quite yet icon_wink.gif And with those we could have a real chance of consolidating in Serie B. But for now we'll enjoy the euphoria around the Franco Ossola! icon_biggrin.gif

It's once again the time where Awards are given out icon_smile.gif

FIFA World Player of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

World Footballer of the Year - Giovane Elber (Bayern Munchen)

Italian Serie C1/A Manager of the Year - Philip Rolfe (Varese) icon_cool.gif

Serie A Player of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Adriano (Parma)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan, 16 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Christian Vieri (Inter)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

Serie B Player of the Year - Cristiano Lucarelli (Torino)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Adailton (Verona, 28 goals)

Serie C1/A Player of the Year - Fabio Ciccola (Fermana)

Serie C1/A Top Goalscorer - Vittorio Torino (Spezia, 23 goals)

Sergio Girardi was named in goal for Team of the Season, and Sbrizzo and Goroni are named amongst the substitutes icon_smile.gif

Another deal is agreed today, but not to be revealed just yet icon_biggrin.gif

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Oliver Kahn (Bayern Munchen)

European Defender of the Year - Fabio Cannavaro (Inter)

European Midfielder of the Year - Luis Figo (Roma)

European Striker of the Year - Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Man Utd)

Gabi Batistuta wins the Fans Player of the Year Award again icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

The draw for a Cup competition comes around today, only it's not the Serie C Cup anymore. We are entered into the Group Phase of the Italian Cup in Group A, alongside Fermana, Vicenza and Piacenza. Hard, but not impossible.

Later in the day the Serie B Fixture list is published. We are handed a hard start home to Fiorentina, before travelling to Catania and then visited by Pescara. Time will tell how equipped we are for them icon_smile.gif

I can reveal my signings now. As the transfer deadline lifted today, I have brought in a number of players, mainly attacking. First up is ex-Liverpool youngster Neil Mellor, who has the quality to shine in Serie B. Two prolific young strikers join Mellor, as we finally sign Mateusz Dobek, the Polish striker from Elana, and Sebastian Conti from Lavagnese. Both could be important in the future season, as they've showed they can score. But scoring is nothing without a defence, and Greek 18 year old Nikolaos Tobros joins, all 4 on a Bosman Free. Tobros is very talented, and we're all excited at his arrival. icon_smile.gif

Another defender is brought in today by myself, as Tajikistan international Igor Tcherevchenko joins for free. He is an experienced international, able to play at right or centre back. He's a strong tackler, and a very determined individual, all qualities that we'll need to succeed.

My summer shopping should be finished now, as I finally, after about 3 weeks of trying, am able to complete the signing of Tunisian winger Selim Benachour. He is an extremely talented youngster, released by PSG last season. He can dribble, sprint, cross and has a mean shot. Undoubtedly he will be a major asset, especially as he's a right winger. icon_smile.gif

For the first time I have to choose squad numbers for my squad icon_smile.gif The players are quite excited, some of them having never had their name on the back of a shirt in competitive action. Batistuta gets the number 9 shirt, whilst the apparently 'unlucky' number 17 belongs to Simone Cocco. Another positive is the merchandising possibilities - which means money icon_smile.gif

Next Up: Italian Cup icon_smile.gif

Congratulations on the club's promotion to Serie B, Junichi! icon_smile.gif Hopefully the gradual evolution of the club's playing resources and your concentration particularly on tightening the defence will pay off in terms of the club's survival in a higher league, and hopefully soon we'll be reading Varese's adventures in Serie A and Europe! icon_smile.gif

Keep up the good work, mate! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie

• Administrators

Cheers Dixie - that's my aim - slow but steady wins the race icon_biggrin.gif

Spooky - I'm glad you like it icon_smile.gif

---------------------

Lets get this one moving again!

The trip to the Leonardo Garilli stadium in Piacenza will show how far the team has come, and how we may fare in the coming season. Piacenza were a regular side in Serie A, up against world class players weekly. Now we share a division with them, but play them first in the Coppa Italia, as our season opens. Debuts are given to Tobros, Tcherevchenko, Benachour, and Mellor.

Piacenza 1

Tibussi 61

Varese 2

Batistuta 48

Mellor 58

You can throw around the arguments that teams don't take the Coppa Italia seriously, but it won't take anything away from a great win icon_smile.gif The pressure we were under in the first half was immense, yet we escaped unscathed. Girardi made a few saves of top drawer quality, and the new look defence stood up well. The 2nd half started badly, as Riccio curled into the top corner. Unfortunately for him, he was offside. Whilst Piacenza were busy complaining, we got on with business, and put a move together which was finished by Gabriel Batistuta. icon_smile.gif The Argentine headed in Sidwell's cross. Ten minutes later we extended the advantage, through Englishman Neil Mellor, heading in a Sidwell free kick. icon_smile.gif Sidwell was brilliant - deserved his man of the match award. Piacenza sub Michele Tibussi finished Montano's good approach play to give us something to think about for the last half an hour, but we got what we deserved - a win.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Plaquet, Benachour, Mellor, Batistuta

San Marino International Raffaele Moroni has joined on loan from Venezia until the end of the season. Spotter's badge to anyone who notices I tried to sign him 3 years ago icon_smile.gif He's a gifted left winger, and goes into the side for the visit of our old friends, Fermana.

Varese 0

Fermana 0

So, we have identical records, bar goal difference, and that's what keeps them top of the group. Not the best of games, but we were far from outclassed, and showed more encouraging signs. Our attack was limited to probing efforts from distance by way of Benachour and Batistuta, but we didn't get a goal. The defence again was top notch, Gorini and Tobros starting to build a real understanding. As for Moroni, he slotted in seamlessly, made a lot of passes, and tested Mauro Chiodini in the Fermana goal. A promising result, as we are starting to show that the forthcoming Serie B season may be very positive.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Mellor, Batistuta

The League season starts next weekend, and then the final Cup group game against Vicenza is played icon_smile.gif

The league season starts on my birthday icon_smile.gif Fiorentina are going to be one hell of a hard opening game. Internationals are everywhere on the park, and then some on the bench too.

Varese 0

Tcherevchenko sent off 60

Fiorentina 2

Emerson 22

Filippini 52

Gera missed pen 60

We won't have a harder game this season. Fiorentina are on another level, and totally deserved to win, but the fact we worried them on numerous occasions shows that maybe we have something to show people. Young striker Emerson was always a potent threat, and his curling effort from 15 yards opened the scoring icon_frown.gif Batistuta, against his old club, was poor, and it showed in our lack of attacking threat. Emanuele Filippini doubled the advantage with a volley from a Gera corner, and it could have even been worse. Igor Tcherevchenko was sent off for a lunge, and as the last man he had to go. But Girardi saved Zoltan Gera's spot kick to keep us in with a glimmer of hope. I made a few switches, and Mellor, and late on Mateusz Dobek, were quite impressive and showed some talent. A loss isn't the best way to start the season, but the performance was OK.

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour (Dobek 73), Mellor, Batistuta (Molinaro 60)

• Administrators

I bring Dobek in for a full debut in place of Batistuta for 2 reasons. Batigol is 36, and can't go on forever, so I have to consider my options. Also, since the Italian Cup is least of my priorities, I can experiment against Vicenza.

Varese 1

Dal Canto og 51

Vicenza 2

Colacone 53

Verlato 85

Again, I'm disappointed in defeat, but we played well. The lead we took on 51 minutes was fully deserved, as Dal Canto sent Morini's free kick past his own keeper. We weren't ahead for long, because Robero Colacone headed home almost straight away icon_frown.gif Alessio Verlato had already had a goal chalked off before he stole in for a winner late on, but we didn't deserve to lose. Dobek was average at best, he needs acclimatisation. We need a goalscorer, like Alberio and Campolonghi before him. Have I got one, or do I go to the transfer market?

Team: Girardi, Tcherevchenko, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Mellor, Dobek

I found someone icon_smile.gif Andorran striker Yuri Rodriguez comes in on loan from Milan until the end of the season. He's a top class addition, and someone who can score a goal or two. Result!

The match away to Catania has positives and negatives; on the bad side we miss Tobros, Dobek and Rodriguez to international duty, and Tcherevchenko to suspension, but conversely the match is live on TV icon_smile.gif

Catania 1

Donato 44

Varese 4

Batistuta 60

Moroni 63, 67

Gorini 72

A real match of two halves icon_biggrin.gif We were outclassed in the first half, as we looked a real shambles. And when Salvatore Donato converted on the stroke of half time, Catania had just reward. I didn't change anything at half time, instead I berated the team for the performance - something I don't like, or normally do. It had an effect though. We were a different side for a period in the second half. Out of nowhere we blitzed four goals in 12 minutes. It started with Moroni's square pass to Batistuta, who showed he still has what it takes with a clinical shot. Moroni then came into his own. Three minutes later Mellor rolled him a pass, and he struck the ball off the outside of his left boot into the far corner past Marchetti for an absolute wonder goal icon_smile.gif He scored again just 4 minutes later, as he went dribbling before shooting low to the keeper's right. Then a fourth, to my disbelief, as Moroni crossed a free kick to be headed in by Gorini. A great return to form, and on TV too, so hopefully people will start talking about us. Moroni was irresistable - 2 goals and 2 assists - not much better than that icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Mellor, Batistuta

In their 6-1 defeat to the Netherlands, Andorra also dealt me a blow, in that Yuri Rodrigues picked up an injury and is out for three weeks, Thanks a lot icon_mad.gif

After a nine day rest, we can come back refreshed for the tough visit of Pescara. It won't be esy - Iaquinta and and Artico are a dangerous pairing for Francesco Monaco's side, and my defence will have a job on their hands keeping them out.

Varese 1

Marchionni og 66

Pescara 1

Bertani 39

A draw is my no means a bad result. Again, we were outplayed for most of the first half, but played better in the second. Early goals are the key to our game - get one and we're in good stead to get something. Cristian Bertani opened the scoring on 39 minutes with a salmon-like leap to head high over Girardi's hand. It was what they deserved in truth - we were far from firing on all cylinders. But we did improve, and Mellor tested Concetti on two occasions with headers. Christian Santi struck a few sighters that rarely hit the target, but we did eventually equalise, through Fabrizio Marchionni's own goal. Moroni delivered a free kick, and the defender sent it past his own goalkeeper to give us a share of the spoils. Not bad, but we can do better.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Bandirali, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Mellor, Batistuta

• Administrators

Vicenza have already done us over in the Cup, and have made a good start to the season. They are an even tougher outfit at the Romeo Menti, and without Rodriguez and now Santi it becomes harder. Plaquet comes in for Santi.

Vicenza 3

Rivalta 52

Colacone 57 pen

Warley 78

Varese 1

Batistuta 3

3-1 is a little harsh on us. Vicenza dominated again, and we missed Santi's control in the centre of the park. Batistuta gave us a shock early lead when Sidwell put him away and clear, and he obliged by driving past Da Re. icon_smile.gif But Vicenza wouldn't stop attacking - we were strong enough to hold out until half time, but then we collapsed. First, Claudio Rivalta sent a shot spinning into the roof of the net to equalise, then Colacone was brought down by Tobros. He got up, dusted himself down, and scored the penalty. Warley was dangerous throughout, and he deserved the goal he scored, a fine spin and venomous shot, to clinch the game. We need Rodriguez now, but he's still not fit.

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Plaquet, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Mellor, Batistuta

Ascoli are likely to be another hard game away from the Franco Ossola. Sebastian Conti, my Argentinian/Italian acquisition in the summer, replaces Mellor to give us some balance up front, and a natural left foot to partner Batistuta. Fuoco replaces Plaquet as well. Oh, it's also on TV icon_cool.gif

Ascoli 2

Montesano 50

Lavecchia 61

Varese 2

Gorini 13

Conti 71

I consider this an achievement - 1 point gained rather than 2 lost. Once again we went ahead in an away game, as Moroni's free kick ended up at the feet of Gorini, and my captain stabbed in the opener. Similarly to the game against Vicenza, Ascoli were a very aggressive and dangerous force, but we still held out to half time, through luck and good judgement. But as ever, we conceded early in the second half, as first Cataldo Montesano scored the equaliser from Piludu's cross, and then Luigi Lavecchia beat Girardi to La Vista's cross to put Ascoli ahead. Tobros was struggling in defence, so Bandirali came on, and we scored almost straight away - Conti firing into an empty net on his debut to score the goal which gave us a point, and preserve our unbeaten TV record. icon_smile.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros (Bandirali 63), Sbrizzo, Fuoco, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Conti, Batistuta

Our home game against Messina is televised, maybe as the media are aware that Yuri Rodriguez is finally fit to play his first game since joining on loan from Milan. The return of Santi enables me to name a full strength eleven.

Varese 4

Benachour 5 pen

Rodriguez 22, 44

Tobros 78

Messina 0

Cremaschini sent off 5

Another win on live TV, and a very comprehensive one, aided in particular by Yuri Rodriguez's brilliance, but also the early dismissal of Alessandro Cremaschini for Messina. Rodriguez used some brilliant trickery to evade everyone, until Cremaschini was left as the last man. A small trip was definitely a penalty, but not sure about the red card too. Still, Selim Benachour took the responsibility, and slotted into the bottom corner to give us the lead. Rodriguez was proving a revelation, and his first goal for the club was fantastic. Santi and Batistuta linked well, before the Andorran went dribbling again before unleashing a spectacular shot that left Manitta dumbfounded. His 2nd wasn't bad either, as he collected Santi's header and drove across the goal and in off the post with a venomous effort icon_smile.gif It was over by now, and we simply consolidated in the second half, all the while probing for another goal. It came 12 minutes from time, as Moroni claimed another assist - Tobros heading in his corner kick. I'm happy enough with this icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Girardi, Molinaro, Gorini©, Tobros, Sbrizzo, Santi, Sidwell, Moroni, Benachour, Rodriguez, Batistuta

Archived