I can't believe I thought it would be easy (the Italian Job challenge)

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

"...news reports just coming into us here at RAI suggest that Massimo Morales, manager of small Serie C club side Varese, has been kidnapped by an Italian gang claiming that they have had 'rather a lot of gold' stolen from them around 25 years ago by 'some Englishmen in minis' and are demanding the return of it all before Morales' release. A spokesman for Varese said "Signor Morales has indeed sadly been kidnapped and held hostage. Obviously we cannot disrupt the footballing calender, so we have taken the unprecedented decision to employ Englishman Philip Rolfe as our manager for the period Morales is...well, unavailable."

So, I came to manage this small side in the middle of a hostage situation. icon_biggrin.gif Still, I wasn't complaining, it was always my dream to manage a football club, even this small, and even if I hadn't heard of them before. Even if it was very strange that Varese chose me.....maybe it had something to do with those brown envelopes.....

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

"...news reports just coming into us here at RAI suggest that Massimo Morales, manager of small Serie C club side Varese, has been kidnapped by an Italian gang claiming that they have had 'rather a lot of gold' stolen from them around 25 years ago by 'some Englishmen in minis' and are demanding the return of it all before Morales' release. A spokesman for Varese said "Signor Morales has indeed sadly been kidnapped and held hostage. Obviously we cannot disrupt the footballing calender, so we have taken the unprecedented decision to employ Englishman Philip Rolfe as our manager for the period Morales is...well, unavailable."

So, I came to manage this small side in the middle of a hostage situation. icon_biggrin.gif Still, I wasn't complaining, it was always my dream to manage a football club, even this small, and even if I hadn't heard of them before. Even if it was very strange that Varese chose me.....maybe it had something to do with those brown envelopes.....

• Administrators

Anyway, lets get the introductions out of the way.

On the 22nd of March 1910 Varese Football Club was born. The biancorossi, as they are affectionately known by their passionate tifosi, had their golden age in the 1920's, before falling into the depths of Italian calcio due to bankruptcy. They flirted with Serie B in the 60's, but ultimately have been down in the lower reaches for some time.

The Stadio Franco Ossola has a 15000 capacity, quite sufficient for a club our size, and has a homely atmosphere.

Stadio Franco Ossola

Situated in Lombardy, it is in the shadows of the Giuseppe Meazza, San Siro, home of the Milan giants.

Time to have a look at the misfits and hopefuls I inherit, known as my Squad.

Goalkeepers

Gioacchino Cavaliere (Age 20) - not too special, likely sub keeper

Emiliano Dei (30) - most likely first choice keeper, good enough for this level

Defenders

Edoardo Gorini (27) - experienced centre back, first choice and club captain

Lennart Lynge Larsen (26) - very good for Serie C, hard working left sided player, should be a regular

Giacomo Nincheri (28) - looks like he'll struggle to displace Larsen from the left side of the team, but able deputy when required

Roberto Bandirali (29) - Another player who regularly plays at this level, and could be a regular starting central defender

Stefano Presotto (18) - right back in his first professional season. With luck and hard work could be a real star

Jean-Toussant Moretti (21) - another left sided defender, again, looks like he'll struggle to get ahead of Larsen

Salvatore Avallone (31) - not the most special of players, but good enough to cover in defence or midfield

Midfielders

Anders Nielsen (28) - Well travelled versatile midfielder, one of the most talented in the squad, and one I'll be looking for to chip in with goals

Gabriele Cecchetto (19) - another one of our youngsters who's not too good now, but in time could be useful

Srdjan Novkovic (19) - Yugoslav import from Red Star, decent passer, puts in a lot of effort.

Mattia Rinaldini (21) - ex-Milan youth prospect, could do well here in a holding defensive midfield role

Zlatko Zebic (22) - anther Yugoslav, has a lot of flair for a younsgter, should be good company for fellow Yugoslav Novkovic

Michele Di Simone (24) - decent centre mid, nothing too special

Piero Ferraresso (30) - moderately talented attacking midfielder, scored a few goals last season for Pro Patria, something similar should suffice.

Forwards

Mauro Ragatzu (18) - Debut season for young striker. Looks sharp enough to get a few goals in our push for promotion

Alfred Santos de Jesus (21) - much like Ragatzu, Brazilian youngster looks at home here, and may grab a goal or two.

Rosario Majella (21) - very determined young man, likes to drop off the front, rated highly here.

Stefano Brognoli (18) - Will lead the line for us.Very little experience but is a fantastic header of the ball, and anticipates very well.

Fortunately I have a quite able coaching staff to back me up as well. icon_smile.gif

I decide I need to delve into the transfer market. A quick word with the General Manager tells me I have the best part of £170k to spend. Before I know it I've enquired about Abel Balbo, Amado Guevara, and approached Milan of the possibility of loaning Marco Boriello. They all send me away with a no. Seems like it'll be hard attracting players here icon_frown.gificon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Attacker Mauro Ragatzu injures his neck in training and will be out for 10 days.

My first match in charge is a home game in the Serie C Cup. I'm not too concerned about winning it, as I'd prefer to find out who's good and who's not. An experimental formation of 4-3-1-2 with attacking wingbacks is named as we try and hit Torres with a quick attacking playing style.

Serie C Cup Group C Opening Match

Varese 1

Majella 60

Torres 2

Frau 90

Cazzaro 90

Oh dear icon_frown.gif Not the best start in terms of results, but the performance was great. A tight first half was dominated by ourselves, and it was Majella who came closest for us. On the hour we took the lead with a great striker by Majella after Nielsen and Larsen had combined well to free the youngster in the area. A 2nd was disallowed by the linesman in the 75th minute, as Ragatzu was adjudged offside. Into injury time we went, and a long range free kick by Alessandro Frau eluded everyone and bounced in over Dei's outstretched arm. I thought "well, a draw isn'y so bad" but I hadn't reckoned on Michele Carrazo, whose header was saved by Dei, but he sroked home the rebound on 93 minutes to steal the points for Dario Pardi's men. Still, not a bad performance, and we now know we need to focus 100% on everything.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Novkovic, Majella, Ragatzu, Jesus

"......it has been announced today that Serie C1 side Varese have agreed a deal to sign English legend Paul Gascoigne on a free transfer. Gascoigne has been without a club since the end of last season, and Varese moved quickly to beat Blackpool and Pistoise to his signature. Gazza has reportedly signed a 3 year deal with the club."

A great signing for us, he could be the catalyst we need to get promoted. even at 34. Now I'm on the lookout for someone to finish his creativity.

After the unlucky defeat last time out we go to Valenza to meet Valenzana in the 2nd group game. I shuffle the pack slightly in hope of a win.

Serie C Cup Group C

Valenzana 3

Viola 31, 40, 77

Varese 0

Larsen s/o 38

icon_mad.gif I'm not happy. We were dire and we have some changes to make if we're going to make an impression in the League. A scorcher of a day in Valenza was summed up by a hattrick by ex-Juve youngster Alessandro Viola - and our defenders did very little to stop him as he made his way into the headlines. I was very diappointed in the dismissal of Laursen so early, and so I lodge an appeal immediately after the game. Not even the debut of Gascoigne could change our fortunes, nor the first start of the season for Brognoli up front. Not the best start here eh?

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne, Majella, Ragatzu, Brognoli

I now know we need a goalscorer, but a more secure defence.

• Administrators

I make enquiries to the representatives of veteran defender Richard Gough and 34 year old Bosnian Meho Kodro about their wishes to join us here. They both give me details of their requirements, and now I'll see what the club can do.

Meanwhile, the FIGC (Italian FA) get back to me saying that my appeal against Larsen's dismissal is not upheld.

Another chance to improve today, as I change the shape to a flat back 4, with all defenders having been drilled last week in training to keep a solid line. The midfield has more of an attacking look, and I instruct Ragatzu to drop off whenever to assist Majella in supplying Brognoli.

Serie C Cup Group C

Varese 4

Majella 2

Brognoli 5, 79

Nielsen 12

Ragatzu injured 71

Savona 1

Doria 76

That's more like it! icon_smile.gif Tactics were spot on today. Majella got us going very early after Gazza had headed down. He spun and beat Ghizzardi in the opposition goal with ease. Before I could catch breath we had another. Majella this time claimed the assist, feeding Brognoli after collecting Ghizzardi's poor goal kick. Anders Nielsen completed the win after only 12 minutes, picking up on a loose ball after Gazza was dispossed, and drove home from 18 yards. Doria claimed a consolation for the visitors, but we had the final word as Brognoli completed a comprehensive win with his 2nd from Nielsen's fine approach play.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Moretti, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne, Majella, Ragatzu (Jesus 71), Brognoli

The diagnosis of Ragatzu's injury was that his achilles tendon is damaged and 2 months is the expected recovery time icon_frown.gif

Just the two changes, one enforced, Larsen replaces Moretti, and the injured Ragatzu is replaced by Jesus, as we aim to build on that 4-1 win.

Serie C Cup Group C

Legnano 2

Bonomi 74 pen

Shala 86

Varese 3

Jesus 6

Brognoli 13

Zebic 46

More enouragement with a close yet emphatic win. The 1 goal margin deserved to be more, and all we need to do is focus late on and we'll be fine icon_smile.gif Jesus gave us a lead with his first career goal, with a speculative strike from 20 yards. We further silenced the Giovani Mari crowd when Gascoigne created an opening for Brognoli, who continued his fine spell of scoring. More dominance followed, but we only transferred it to the scoresheet when Zebic was put through by Gazza, creative as ever, to make it 3-0. Youngster Matteo Bonomi converted a 74th minute penalty after Bandirali was harshly adjudged to have handled a corner, and it became more nervous when Shala headed home at the near post. But we played out the time and secured another win icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne, Majella, Jesus , Brognoli

However, we miss out on further qualification as we only finish 3rd of 5 in the group. Still, we've had a decent start icon_smile.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Group C

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Q Torres 4 1 1 0 5 2 1 0 1 2 3 7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Valenzana 4 2 0 0 5 0 0 0 2 0 4 6

3rd VARESE 4 1 0 1 5 3 1 0 1 3 5 6

4th Legnano 4 1 0 1 5 3 0 2 0 2 2 5

5th Savona 4 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 2 1 7 4

</pre>

Next up. An important game in 4 days, as we start a league campaign against Prato.

• Administrators

Our Serie C1/A campaign starts in earnest today, with a visit from Prato. No changes required from the last match.

Varese 4

Nielsen 10

Jesus 30, 90

Gascoigne 89

Prato 1

Isolini 39

Seems like they're finally playing like I wanted them to icon_biggrin.gif Nielsen opened the league season with a towering header from a Gascoigne corner, leaving Sarti standing. Jesus scored a fantastic 2nd, receiving Zebic's pass and turning in one movement before drilling home at the near post. Isolini finished clinically at the other end to reduce the deficit, and it was 2-1 at the break. Gascoigne controlled the second half, his majestic play just couldn't be finished, as hard as Brognoli and Jesus tried. So he took it upon himself to score the crucial winner - taking a pass from Brognoli and unleashing an unstoppable drive past Sarti. Prato were in shock, and Jesus took further advantage with a lovely lofted shot over the keeper to seal a great day in the searing September heat.

We take 2nd place in the League because Cittadella outdid us, with a thumping 6-1 win over Treviso. A first half Mihail Baicu hat-trick did the damage.

Off to Carrara to meet the Gialloblu known as Carrarese in these parts. Again, no need to change the team.

Carrarese 2

Venturini 49

Ferreri 55 pen

Varese 2

Jesus 35, 48

Not a bad performance at all, in fact the first half was very promising. Both Jesus' goals were well taken after some fine creativity by Zebic, but Gianpaolo Pinna did well in the opposition goal. They pulled one back when venturini finished a devastating Colusso cross, and they pegged level when Gorini pushed Colusso and Ferreri dispatched the spot kick. Two games in, and we're 4th - not bad so far icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne, Majella, Jesus , Brognoli

Jesus damages his shoulder in 5-a-side this morning, and should miss 2 weeks of action icon_frown.gif - shame, he's in fine form.

Reggiana come to the Franco Ossola today, in another match we must win in order to keep up our fine start to the season. In the only change needed, the injured Jesus is replaced by Novkovic

Varese 2

Majella 29

Brognoli 82

Gascoigne injured 80

Reggiana 1

Minetti 5

The game started badly for us, as Massimo Minetti headed home his 3rd of the season to send us behind for the first time in the League. But it wasn't long until we were on terms, as Rosario Majella cracked home from another Gascoigne assist. But a quiet match was soured for us by the injury to Paul Gascoigne. He overstretched trying to reach a pass, and ended up tearing his hamstring, meaning a 3 month absence icon_frown.gif But all was not bad, as Brognoli made it 4 in 6, pouncing on Nuzzo's fumble to keep up our unbeaten run icon_smile.gif and put us top icon_cool.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne (Di Michele 80), Majella, Novkovic , Brognoli

Our injury crisis deepens as I learn Stefano Brognoli needs three weeks off with a groin strain. Our thin squad is down to the bare bones.

• Administrators

Albinoleffe are currently 9th in the League, and are our next opposition. I need to shuffle my pack, bringing in Rinaldi for Gascoigne and Jesus for Brognoli - Jesus is not fully fit, so it's a little risky.

Albinoleffe 3

Araboni 3

Pellegris 79

Poloni 82

Varese 0

Our barest of bare bones couldn't handle the heat in the stadium and from the opposition. Clearly, Elio Gustinetti had his men come out to us with a quick and harassing style, as we weren't allowed time on the ball, and they scored an early lead with Araboni heading past Dei. We actually played quite well from then on, but we missed the creativity of Gazza and the finishing of Brognoli in such a way we had no breakthrough. As is common with us now, we conceded two late goals, from Pellegris and Poloni, which shunts us all the way down to 9th in the League. But all isn't lost, it's only been 4 games.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Rinaldi, Majella, Novkovic , Jesus

I agree a deal with Benevento to take 18 year old Alessandro Bruno on loan until the end of the season to beef up the squad a little. He's needed moreso now as Zlatko Zebic is the latest casualty, 10 days with a rib injury.

The fixture list pits us against Lumezzane today, and again we have a real struggle to put eleven fit players out. Bruno makes his debut in midfield, and Gabriele Cecchetto is drafted in for Zebic.

Varese 1

Bruno 87

Lumezzane 1

Cipolla 71 pen

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Cecchetto, Bruno, Majella, Novkovic , Jesus

I'm beginning to think the refs in Italy are against me. That's the third penalty given against us this season, and this was again quite a dubious decision, as Bandirali again was adjudged to have impeded Cortellini. Cipolla stuck the kick home, and it looked as if we were about to lose again, when a draw was fair. But young debutant loanee Bruno took it upon himself to equalise, as he went on a marauding run before sliding past Man of the Match Luca Brignoli to level late on. Not the worst end to the month.

The table looks like this as October starts

************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie C1/A - Monday 1st October 2001

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2001/2 Table

================================================================================================

1st Cittadella 5 3 0 0 11 2 1 0 1 2 2 12

2nd Spal 5 1 2 0 3 2 2 0 0 6 2 11

3rd Pro Patria 5 2 0 0 5 1 1 1 1 3 3 10

4th Albinoleffe 5 2 0 0 4 0 1 1 1 3 4 10

5th Arezzo 5 3 0 0 9 6 0 0 2 1 7 9

6th Spezia 5 2 0 0 5 2 0 2 1 1 2 8

7th VARESE 5 2 1 0 7 3 0 1 1 2 5 8

8th Lucchese 5 1 1 1 3 2 1 0 1 5 2 7

9th Alzano 5 2 0 0 4 0 0 1 2 3 8 7

10th Lumezzane 5 1 0 1 2 5 1 1 1 4 4 7

11th Cesena 5 2 0 1 8 3 0 0 2 0 2 6

12th Carrarese 5 0 1 1 3 4 1 2 0 3 2 6

13th Reggiana 5 2 0 0 4 2 0 0 3 4 8 6

14th Treviso 5 1 1 0 3 0 0 1 2 3 9 5

15th Padova 5 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 3 3 9 4

16th Prato 5 1 1 1 7 9 0 0 2 1 7 4

17th Pisa 5 0 2 1 4 5 0 0 2 1 3 2

18th Pistoiese 5 0 1 2 1 3 0 1 1 4 5 2

</pre>

• Administrators

Our injury crisis is clearing, after Ragaztu and Zebic were passed fit for tomorrow's clash at 3rd place Pro Patria.

The two players returning are back into the lineup today, as they replace Novkovic and Cecchetto.

Pro Patria 2

Ruopolo 20

Romano 80

Varese 1

Majella 6

Pro Patria go top, and today I saw why Carlo Muraro's men are favourites for the title. We started very well, and Majella, back in his role in the hole, scored again to give us a surprising lead. We even outplayed them for the first 15 minutes, but Ruopolo equalised with a header. My defenders must learn to defend aerially as well, as a lot of goals scored against us are headers. Romano's winner wasn't, it was a fine left foot volley past Dei, who was outstanding in goal. Statistically, we outplayed the leaders in their own back yard, so I have few worries now - when the squad is fit again we should start moving.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Majella, Ragatzu , Jesus

Gazzetta Dello Sport reports this morning that after surgery to cure a very serious ankle ligament injury, Atalanta's Fausto Rossini may not be back playing for 2 years. icon_redface.gif - Very harsh on one of Italy's brightest young hopes.

Stefano Brognoli makes his return in place of Jesus as Padova come to our home. Hopefully Brognoli's return will see a return to form.

Varese 2

Brognoli 41, 84

Brognoli m/pen 55

Majella injured 70

Padova 1

Ginestra 32

The wet season in Italy makes it very hard for passing games, and so this game was affected horribly by the dreadful weather. Early on Padova had the advantage of the swirling wind, and lead after 32 minutes from Ginestra's simple finish. But Brognoli made an impact on his return from injury, with a sweet curling effort 4 minutes before the break. That gave us a vital way back into it, and so did referee Ettori Fanesi when he gave us a penalty 10 mins after half time. But Brognoli had his attempt saved icon_frown.gif and hit the post with the rebound icon_frown.gif . However, he made up for it with the winner 6 minutes from time, picking up a loose ball and driving in. We got another injury, as Rosario Majella sprained his ankle, and will miss the trip to Alazano.

We are only 4 points off the top, not a bad place to be at all, considering Aniello Manganelli, Director of Football, wanted the team to avoid relegation primarily.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Majella (Jesus 70), Ragatzu , Brognoli

Another important clash in the early battle for the playoff places, as 5th placed Alzano meet ourselved, sitting in 8th. Another change, Jesus for Majella. An added spice is the fact it's a local Lombard derby.

Alzano 2

Torri 34

Marchini 51

Varese 3

Jesus 16

Brognoli 69

Zebic 77

We're starting to show character. A typical bullet-like finish by Jesus early-ish gave us a lead that never looked in peril until Omar Torri converted Solimeno's cross. Just after half time it was Solimeno again who crossed for Marchini to head home. But Brognoli just can't be kept down, as his header from Zebic's corner was his 7th in 8 games this season. Zebic scored the winner with his 2nd of the campaign from Bruno's chip. Zebic was the difference out there today, an absolute gem for us. He may be homesick, but it's not showing. We're just on the brink of the playoffs at the moment, just the right place to be, as if we break too early, we may peak too early and regret it later in the season. Looking at the big picture, we're just great. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Jesus, Ragatzu , Brognoli

Today saw the first sacking of the season in Italy. Lodigiani's Ubaldo Righetti was given his P45 after a defeat to Nocerina was too much for Chairman Elio Giulivi, leaving the side 2nd bottom of Serie C2/C.

• Administrators

Rosario Majella was passed fit this morning before the match against Spezia, which was a nice boost. He comes in for Ragatzu.

Varese 0

Majella sent off 84

Presotto injured 45

Spezia 1

Sanguinetti 70

One goal was always going to win this one, and unfortunately it was Mauricio Sanguinetti who stole in 20 minutes from time to take the points back to La Spezia with them icon_frown.gif We weren' t very good, but we weren't bad either. It was one of those games. Majella was passed fit, but a stupid show of petulance saw him dismissed 5 mins from time. He'll find an official club warning waiting in the morning, and Stefano Presotto is injured for 2 weeks with strained ligaments in his knee.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Pressoto (Avallone 45), Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Jesus, Majella , Brognoli

Arezzo are 3rd in the table as we prepare for our afternoon clash at the Comunale. I am forced into two changes; youngster Cristiano Molinaro gets a debut at right back, and Ragatzu returns in place of the suspended Majella.

Arezzo 2

Bianchini 16

Pinamonte 58

Varese 5

Jesus 13, 61

Brognoli 45, 74

Zebic 90

We saw a fantastic performance today, both by the home team and ourselves. Both sides gave it all from the off, and we struck the first blow when Jesus rounded the keeper to put it to 1-0. A lovely free kick by Bianchini levelled matters, but Brognoli scored another header to put us ahead at the break. Lorenzo Pinamonte continued a prolific run with a 2nd equaliser, and the Arezzo tried to take control. But Jesus was set up by Nielsen to score his 8th of the season, and soon after Brognoli was also set up by Nielsen to score his 9th of the season and give us breathing space. The 7 goal thriller was complete when Zebic completed a great team move involving Bruno, Gorini, Ragatzu, Larsen and Jesus before the Yugoslav buried past a shellshocked Proietti, who had only previously conceded 5 goals all season. icon_biggrin.gif The win takes us into the playoff zone again, 4th spot, just above Arezzo.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

I can name an unchanged team for the visit from a Pisa side improving after a poor start.

Varese 0

Pisa 2

Varricchio 34, 73

It amazes me that we can beat Arezzo, a very good team, so emphatically, but can lose to a Pisa side which has only won twice this season :/ But they were more hungry than us, and a brace from Massimiliano Varricchio sent us tumbling down to 7th icon_frown.gif Varricchio was great - he never gave our defence a moment's peace. His first was a header (again) and the 2nd an unstoppable crashing left foot shot that I don't even think Dei saw.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Jesus, Ragatzu (Majella 74), Brognoli

Paul Gascoigne's recovery is coming along nicely. Head physio Fabio D'Angelo reckons he's at 90% fitness, and first team football is about 2 weeks away. I might shove him into a reserve game to get him back playing. D'Angelo also tells me that Stefano Presotto has aggravated an ankle injury and needs three more weeks out icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

We travel down to Cesena for another tough match, and a feeling I have inside me, call it a hunch, tells me that something won't go our way today.

Cesena 5

Cesari 9 pen

Groppi 45

Meloni 46

Bettoni 55

Paganin 66

Varese 1

Brognoli 17

Dei sent off 9

icon_frown.gif I am furious with the referee. How he didn't see that Damiani dived to get a penalty I'll never know, but to send Dei off as well icon_mad.gif Our game plan was ruined then, and thier extra man gave them such an advantage we never looked like coming back from. Goal after goal went past sub keeper Cavaliere, and our defending was at times abysmal. The team deserve a lock-in after that match, and they got one as I told them in no uncertain terms that things would have to pick up or else. Lets hope they've listened icon_mad.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno, Jesus, Majella (Cavaliere 6), Brognoli

A visit from Lucchese gives the team a chance to see if they can rectify the situation we were left in after the shocking display at Cesena. Cavaliere has to play in goal, and it's because of that I fear for us.

Varese 0

Bandirali sent off 54

Lucchese 3

Carruezo 8

Deflorio 36

Memmo 64

I can't even talk about this match. Lets just say we were pathetic, and so was Bandirali for being sent off for a two footed lunge on Memmo. Even the introduction of Gazza at half time did nothing. We're sliding down the table now icon_frown.gif

Team: Cavaliere, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Bruno (Gascoigne 45), Jesus, Ragatzu (Moretti 54), Brognoli

Our next opponents, bottom of the table Treviso, today announced the sacking of Aldo Luigi Ammazzalorso. Player/Assistant Manager Diego Bortoluzzi will take charge against us.

December starts with that game against Treviso. It's a must win, and so Dei, Gascoigne, Moretti, Majella and Avallone all come in in hope of turning around our fortunes.

Treviso 2

Lombardi 29

Lorenzini 84

Varese 1

Brognoli 50

Nielsen injured 64

My patience is really being tested. After a great run we are in dire straits. Today, we were much better, but still got nothing out of it. Treviso have picked up under Bortoluzzi's guidance, and they moved off the bottom and closer to us, now we're 12th icon_frown.gif . Brognoli may have scored another, but something drastic needs to be done to stop the slide.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Avallone, Moretti, Larsen, Nielsen (Bruno 64), Zebic, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

Nielsen's injury means a 3 week period out.

Next up: a trip to bottom placed Pistoiese

• Administrators

Another game against the bottom team, and a few tactical adjustments preceed the match against Pistoiese.

Pistoiese 1

Agostinelli 86

Varese 0

Avallone injured 41

A 5th straight defeat, and embarrasingly Pistoiese comprehensively outplayed us, as we fall into the relegation playoff zone just 5 games after being in the top 5. Agostinelli's late strike may have been a heartbreaker for us, but the only player who showed a fight was Dei in goal. I'm lost now, I can't understand our loss of form. Something needs to be done before the visit of highflying Cittadella.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Avallone (Rinaldini 42), Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Zebic, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

2nd placed Cittadella must fancy their chances against us, seeing as we've had 5 straight defeats. I make a slight tactical switch, in the vain hope of securing a win. I take a quite bold decision to drop the in-form Zebic in favour of a more defensive minded Rinaldini

Varese 2

Bruno 20, 45

Cittadella 1

Amore 3

We were slow out of the blocks, and it certainly wasn't Amore for us as Enrico scored following a solo burst. But we started to come back. Brognoli shaved the post on 8 minutes, before we got level as Alessandro Bruno was on hand to fire past Pavesi. The game then took a slower feel, as if both sides were happy with their lot. But it was Bruno, who hasn't impressed like i'd have hoped, who grabbed the eventual winner, tapping into an unguarded goal as Majella rolled him in. Even though we lead, the slenderness always made me feel that Rolando Maran's men would sneak back into it, but we managed to hold on and claim our first win in 6, as Rinaldini was brilliant in the holding role icon_smile.gif Hopefully our bad run is over, we'll find out in 18 days against 3rd placed Spal.

The 18 day Christmas break will be a godsend, as hopefully our injuies will clear up, and we'll be back to something like full strength.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Molinaro, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

As the year ends, lets take a look at the situation in the major European Leagues...

Starting here in Italy, and Roma lead the way on 35 points, 2 clear of Milan, but the Giallorossi also have a game in hand over the Rossoneri. At the bottom, Modena seem lost already, claiming just 2 wins from the first 15. Udinese, Brescia and Como are also in trouble, as Empoli and Chievo just sit on the right side of the dotted relegation line. Moving over to Spain and we find the surprise joint leaders are Recreativo and Valladolid. Both teams surprisingly lead the way, each a point clear of Celta and Atletico Madrid. Real Madrid and Barcelona can be found floundering in mid table, and Deportivo are struggling to stay out of the relegation zone, which is currently occupied by Alaves, Betis (surprisingly) and rock bottom Rayo, whose win over Malaga on Nov 25th is their only one to date.

In England Chelsea lead Arsenal 47 points to 45, but the Gunners have a game in hand, against Aston Villa, who lay adrift at the bottom - 14 points from safety. Newcastle and Southampton are also in a spot of bother. Chasing a place in the top flight are Ipswich, who lead Division One by a point from the season's surprise package Gillingham. Lille lead the way in France, but only by 3 points over Bordeaux, who have played one less. Montpellier, Bastia, Guingamp and Lorient all look to battle it out to avoid the 2 relegation places. And finally to Germany, Dortmund lead the way from 1860 Munich by two points. FC Bayern are back in 4th.

• Administrators

Happy New Year, or as they say here, Buon Anno!

One change is needed for the visit to Spal; Bandirali returns from suspension in place of Molinaro, who's got a damaged wrist. Nielsen also returns from injury, but only takes a place on the bench due to poor form.

Spal 0

Varese 2

Brognoli 8

Larsen 31

There's little doubt Walter de Vecchi has a better squad, and has more to pick from, but our reversal in fortune carried on at the Paolo Mazza stadium. Stefano Brognoli carried on a fine season by converting a header from Bruno's cross. Aurelio then hit the bar for the opposition, before Lennart Lynge Larsen scored a long overdue first of the season. He went on a virtuouso run past Zago and Morello before leaving Pierobon with no chance. We then took control of the game, making Spal play at our pace, which I was really pleased at. We've beaten 2nd and 3rd in the last 2 games, which is a very encouraging sign icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> ************************************************************************************************

Italian Serie C1/A - Thursday 3rd January 2002

2001/2 Table

1st Pro Patria 17 7 0 2 19 9 4 2 2 11 7 35

2nd Cittadella 17 7 1 1 24 9 3 0 5 9 12 31

3rd Carrarese 17 5 2 2 17 8 3 2 3 8 8 28

4th Spezia 17 5 2 1 15 9 2 4 3 10 10 27

5th Albinoleffe 17 6 1 2 12 5 2 2 4 10 14 27

6th Spal 17 2 5 2 10 11 4 3 1 15 8 26

7th Alzano 17 6 0 2 14 6 2 2 5 9 18 26

8th Padova 17 5 1 2 11 7 3 0 6 12 20 25

9th Cesena 17 6 0 2 21 10 1 2 6 9 17 23

10th VARESE 17 4 1 3 11 11 3 1 5 15 19 23

11th Arezzo 17 3 2 3 20 24 3 3 3 13 17 23

12th Lumezzane 17 5 1 3 14 15 1 2 5 9 16 21

13th Reggiana 17 3 2 4 13 15 3 0 5 13 15 20

14th Lucchese 17 2 3 3 7 8 2 4 3 12 9 19

15th Treviso 17 3 3 3 15 12 2 1 5 9 18 19

16th Pisa 17 1 4 3 7 9 3 2 4 9 9 18

17th Pistoiese 17 3 2 3 10 9 2 1 6 13 20 18

18th Prato 17 3 3 3 14 17 1 2 5 8 17 17

</pre>

not the worst position to be in, considering our bad run.

• Administrators

The last 2 days sees a whole host of managerial casualties. Paterno, Thiene, Aglianese and Fano all part company with their managers, and it's only a matter of days before Vicenza lose their boss.

We travel the fair distance to Prato, knowing they're bottom, and also knowing our recent form against teams who've been bottom. No changes are needed following the last 2 wins.

Prato 1

Padoin 69

Varese 4

Brognoli 38, 49

Gascoigne 77

Bruno 87

Presotto injured 67

I felt this was a thoroughly professional performance. We bid our time in the first half, knowing a goal would come at some point, and 7 minutes before half time that teenage sensation Stefano Brognoli followed in a rebound from Presotto's attempt to give us a just lead. Shortly after the break, he doubled his total in the match with a 2nd following Gascoigne and Bruno's build up. Porro then had a goal disallowed for offside for the home side, before Nicola Padoin finished a fine team move to bring the home side back into it. But our run of form has coincided with the return of Paul Gascoigne, who made it safe with the 3rd on 77. Alessandro Bruno signalled his fine form is continuing with the 4th late on, as Prato looked down and out.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto (Moretti 67), Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

Presotto twisted his knee in the 2nd half and will miss 3 weeks.

The local newspaper today send a reporter to do some work on the club. The journalist has some nice comments about Stefano Brognoli, saying that he feels he could be a full Italian international if he takes the right path. I can't do anything but agree, he's a talented player.

Carrarese are 2nd in the league, but we've shown some good character and spirit recently, and with that, we should get something, considering our home record is good. Molinaro comes in for the injured Presotto.

Varese 2

Jesus 16

Brognoli 70

Carrarese 0

Di Giorgio sent off 72

The luck was certainly on our side today, but we played well enough to deserve some. Jesus found his shooting boots again after a barren run on 16 minutes, but only after Alberti had a header disallowed for offside. The visitors then had a 2nd disallowed, as Rubinho was harshly adjudged to have fouled Bandirali. But we continued to bombard their goal, having a total of 16 shots on goal, as Alejandro Saccone was a brilliant last line of defence. But Brognoli showed his difference in class 20 mins from time, expertly lobbing Saccone from the edge of the box to secure the points. Carrarese's luck was really out when Vito Di Giorgio pushed Jesus, and was dismissed rather harshly. But we make our own luck, and things are looking up again icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

21/1/02

Reggiana sack their manager Adriano Cadregari after their poor league performances left them 3 places from bottom. Just like Treviso before, we play them next game. I'll make sure we're not complacent against them.

Mauro Ragatzu sprained his wrist at home yesterday, God knows how icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif - anyway, he needs a week off of full training.

And so to Reggiana, with an unchanged team, as we look to break back into the playoffs.

Reggiana 3

Catanese 28

Ekong 72

Eliakwu 74

Varese 2

Brognoli 2

Gascoigne 30

Jesus injured 70

We looked so comfortable after Brognoli gave us an early lead with a sublime finish. Catanese may have levelled, but Gascoigne put us ahead and we looked comfortable. But the turning point was the injury to Jesus. Nielsen came on, and acted like a kinx for us. Within 5 minutes the teenage Nigerian duo of Ekong and Eliakwu turned the game in their favour, and our winning run ended icon_frown.gif But I'm not too angry, as I'm sure they raised their game for their caretaker manager. But we need to get back winning ASAP.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Molinaro, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus (Nielsen 70), Majella, Brognoli

• Administrators

Injuries dictate my team for the game at home to Albinoleffe. Ragatzu's in for Jesus, and Moretti comes in for Larsen, who injured his jaw. Presotto returns in place of Molinaro.

Varese 0

Albinoleffe 3

Araboni 32, 36, 85

They're not 2nd by luck. Albinoleffe are a talented side, with a very decent squad if you consider the level we're at. Araboni took his chances today, and we didn't icon_frown.gif Hopefully this won't take us on another downhill run like last time. Maybe when everyone is back fit it'll pick up, but 2 defeats in a row and I'm not happy.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Moretti, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Majella, Brognoli

Larsen and Jesus are able to return today, so let's see if my theory that my fully fit first XI are good enough to beat Lummezane away and get back to winning ways.

Lummezane 0

Varese 2

Gascoigne 12

Jesus 36

Looking at the statistics the match was very close, but statistics count for nothing at the end of the day, so it was important we took the points. Gascoigne has been an inspired signing, and he opened the scoring with his 4th of the season as Brognoli put him in acres of space to score. Alfred Santos de Jesus made double figures in his debut season with the 2nd, a typically furious shot past Tosti in the home goal. From then on they never looked too dangerous, although Scazzola came pretty close on the hour.

Even throughout our indifferent form, we are 2 points off the playoff zone with 13 games to go - a very nice position to be in at this very moment icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

Pro Patria are top and looking far good for the division. I name an unchanged side for their visit.

Varese 1

Brognoli 60

Pro Patria 2

Pennacchioni 32

Manicone 83

An unfortunate end to a game which showed why Patria are top. A very even match was split on the half hour as Emanuele Pennacchioni finished nicely. Stefano Brognoli levelled on the hour with a pick up and shot from a loose ball. But veteran Antonio Manicone stole the points late on icon_frown.gif just as we looked quite likely to get a draw. Still, a good performance, but the results need to pick up.

Stefano Brognoli is in line for more praise from a major newspaper this time, the Corriere Dello Sport. They suggest he is far too good for this level and surely will look for success at a higher plateau. I agree that he is a wonderdul talent, but that any immediate success he could have will be here at Varese, as I cannot afford to let my main goalscorer go as we push for promotion.

• Administrators

Padova will be another really tough game for us, and away as well. If we don't win I see mid table mediocrity beckoning icon_frown.gif

Padova 2

Ferronato 12

Ginestra 32

Varese 1

Brognoli 3

The praise and attention for Brognoli obviously spurred him on to open the scoring and hit his 18th of the season early on. The lead lasted barely 10 minutes however, as Alessandro Ferronato drove in from the right and finished sweetly past Dei's left. Ciro Ginestra's header proved to be the deciding goal, but in the last 5 minutes we bombarded their goal, as sub Novkovic caused havoc, but the ball wouldn't go in icon_frown.gif As I have said before, the performance pleases me, but the result doesn't, and we're 6 points off Treviso, the nearest playoff contenders. We can catch Alzano if we beat them next week.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Majella (Novkovic 82), Brognoli

A defeat today would almost see the end of any promotion push we have. Novkovic is back in for Majella after a fine performance late last time.

Varese 0

Alzano 1

Piccinelli 53

It just would not go in icon_mad.gif We hit the bar 3 times, through Larsen (twice) and Jesus, and set up camp in front of their goal, But it wasn't going in, as Violini played a blinder in goal. Just about their only attempt of the match went in, as Fabio Piccinelli scored his first ever goal. It's all over as far as I'm concerned - 27 points are still available, but I think our chances of promotion are gone icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne (Zebic 45), Jesus (Majella 80), Novkovic, Brognoli

Spezia are 4th, and we're in such a dismal run of form I can't see a win for us icon_frown.gif

Spezia 2

Caverzan 12

Stojkov 53

Caverzan m/pen 45

Varese 1

Jesus 21

All of a sudden we're only 2 points from the relegation playoffs icon_frown.gif Again today we played well, but no result. Caverzan scored first with a free header, before Jesus scored an equaliser as he scored for the 11th time this campaign. Caverzan then missed a penalty on the stroke of half time, and things looked up. But a wonder goal from fully 35 yards by Aiko Stojkov kept his prolific run and our poor run going icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Bruno, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

• Administrators

Arezzo are way down the other end of the table, and so now this could be billed as a relegation 6 pointer. I know the board want me to avoid relegation, but I won't be happy unless we show some desire to reach the playoffs, no matter how hard it now is. Nielsen gets a recall in favour of the out of touch Bruno.

Varese 2

Gascoigne 52

Brognoli 88

Arezzo 0

Finally, a win after playing poorly. Arezzo dominated the first half, and we were lucky not to be behind to the dangerous but wasteful Lorenzo Pinamonte. Second half, and a change in our fortunes. 52 minutes. A free kick. 25 yards out. Gazza steps up....and scores icon_biggrin.gif From then on we were under pressure, until very late on Brognoli took another step towards 20 goals with an unmarked opportunity which he snapped up. The win leaves us 9 points from a playoff place, but at least our 2nd bad run of the season is over.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

Taking a look at our run in, I realise 3 of the teams are directly above us in the league, and the other 4 battling against relegation. The future now lies in our hands - a few wins strung together and you never know.

Away to Pisa, who shocked us with an 2-0 win at the Franco Ossola earlier this season. We go to their stadium today aiming to avoid defeat, as I name a team the same as the win over Arezzo

Pisa 0

Varese 0

A 2nd successive clean sheet is the bright point to this match, and the fact we didn't lose. Pisa had more shots than we did - we only mustered 3 in what must have been a horrible match for the 10670 who turned up at the Arena Garibaldi. The closest they came was 4 minutes from time, as ei saved well from Furiani. Our best chance fell to Ragatzu, whose 70th minute header was just wide. I can take satisfaction from only our 3rd draw of the season, and a clean sheet too.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

Next Up: A visit from Cesena

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shawng1:

Good story. You shouldn't be shocked that Italia is a land for managerial sackings. Good to see you've kept yourself free so far. I'll keep an eye on this.

KUTGW!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers - I'm not safe yet icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Not much time between matches, as Cesena visit us with a 3 point gap between us and them directly above us. Gorini misses his first match of the season through injury, so Avallone comes in and Nielsen gets the captaincy.

Varese 0

Cesena 2

Meloni 43, 70

Baws icon_frown.gif They did us 5-1 earlier this season, and Meloni scored a brace to take the points and leave us stuck in mid table, where we will end up. We didn't have a shot on goal, so we were never going to win. Meloni poked in two low crosses to give them a double over us, which I don't like but Giuseppe Iachini obviously did as manager of the opposition.

Team: Dei, Avallone, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen©, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

Pro Patria won the C1/A title with a draw at Reggiana. Marco Asara's first half strike, his 8th of the season, was enough to give them the point they needed.

We are, however, just 2 points from the relegation playoffs. That's the perils of this division - if you're not in the playoffs, you're fighting relegation. Mid table is very rarely a solid place to be.

I make some more tactical changes for the visit to Lucchese. A more balanced attacking and defensive shape, and Gorini returns for Avallone.

Lucchese 0

Varese 0

For the 2nd successive match we were absolutely annihilated - the home side struck 17 shots at our goal, but Emiliano Dei and the defence were as strong as I've seen them. Our only shot came 3 minutes from time, as Gascoigne wasted a free kick. Carruezzo and Stefani came so close for Piraccini's side, but it's very encouraging that we didn't concede, therefore not losing. We just have to score. The result also means we can no longer get into the playoffs.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen, Rinaldini (Novkovic 84), Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu, Brognoli

Treviso have turned their fortunes around since they beat us, and they'll be looking to continue some fine form recently as we look to stop the rot (again). Majella returns for Ragatzu.

Varese 0

Treviso 2

Gallo 21

Lorenzini 80 pen

It sounds the same every game but we really deserved something today. Fabio Gallo took an opportunistic chance to put them up, and even then it was lucky. We came back at them, and almost scored through Majella. 15 minutes from time Bandirali almost headed home, and then the linesman made a catastophic error. He adjudged Dei to have fouled Lorenzini, which the ref didn't immediately agree with. Still, the kick was given, and Lorenzini picked himslef up to strike the winner. Bandirali and then Zebic hit the bar, but it wouldn't happen. As soon as the season finishes I'll be happy, as it's not been the best start to my time here, and I can then rebuild. But now we seriously have to look at the position below us - 1 point from the relegation playoffs.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne (Novkovic 70), Jesus (Ragatzu 45), Majella, Brognoli

• Administrators

A vital relegation 6 pointer today. If we lose we fall into the relegation playoff zone, which I really don't need. Bruno's in for Majella.

Varese 0

Pistoiese 2

Ferro 17

Agostinelli 88

Oh no icon_frown.gif We fall into the lower reaches with this defeat, and it's time to be very concerned as we haven't scored in 5 games now icon_redface.gif We were again so poor today, I don't know what to do. Every tactical adjustment I try just fails with this team. Something drastic has to be done now because Cittadella and Spal will not be an easy final 2 games. Pistoiese found it far too easy today, and I'm gutted.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Presotto, Larsen, Nielsen, Zebic, Gascoigne, Jesus, Bruno, Brognoli

People in the press are saying that Gazza should know now is the time to retire. I put them in their place and tell them he is a legend who will help everyone here no end. I get a personal thank you from Gazza, and he hopes to repay me in his performance in the must win match against Cittadella.

I really fear for the side if we lose today. I abandon all hope and line up 442 for the first time this season. A number of changes are made, in the vain hope we can win.

Cittadella 3

Zanon 6 pen

Baicu 13, 54

Varese 1

Majella 45

Nincheri s/o 5

I am livid at referee Mastropasqua, and at my side. 5 minutes in the so called 'referee' sent my left back off for a foul. Sure a foul, but never a red card. From the moment that happened my game plan was down the pan, and Cittadella had it easy. Mihail Baicu proved he can score on day one, and 2 today left me ruing coming to this club. We finally scored, but it's going to be a hell of a hard game against Spal on the final day, we must win.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Nincheri, Molinaro, Gascoigne, Rinaldini, Nielsen, Zebic, Majella, Brognoli

Shockingly bad news for us today. Anders Nielsen has damaged his cruciate ligaments and requires at least 10 months out icon_frown.gif He's not been as good as I wanted, but he remains one of the best here, and my plans are further scuppered.

I find that the FIGC have banned Nincheri for a further 7 games icon_eek.gif for a show of petulance after his dismissal. I feel someone has it in for us icon_mad.gif

• Administrators

Injuries mean our vital game is a lot harder. Gascoigne and Nielsen are both unavailable, and Nincheri is suspended. It is an absolute must win, no doubts.

Varese 3

Jesus 70

Brognoli 78

Zebic 80

Spal 2

Artico 42, 52

What a comeback. This was a true performance of grit and determination, and of some bad luck. 20 minutes in, and Brognoli had a goal disallowed. He may just have been offside, but I've yet to see it properly. Then Artico struck. Twice. We were in a horrible situation, and we just couldn't score. But Jesus finally found the net, and it was back on. Brognoli finally scored his 20th of the season after ages of trying and failing, and Zebic scored a great winner from range. A great victory, about time, but we finished level on points with Cittadella, and inside the relegation playoff zone icon_frown.gif Because of that, we have to play Arezzo in 2 legs to stay up. The 2nd leg is at our place, which helps, but I didn't want this situation. Still, we'll make a fist of it.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Larsen, Molinaro, Cecchetto, Rinaldini, Zebic, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

In our 2 games against Arezzo we've won 5-2 and 2-0, so form is in our favour. But that all goes out the window when league status is at stake.

Gascoigne is in line for more criticism from the local press, and my response is the same as before - we'd be in a far worse situation without him.

An Italian team claimed Euro glory tonight as Stephane Dalmat's 16th minute goal gave Inter a 1-0 victory over Leverkusen at Parken, Copenhagen.

Some bad news, goalkeeper Emiliano Dei is out of both playoff clashes with a bad neck. The last time he didn't play we lost, so it doesn't bode well icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

The first leg of the playoffs away to Arezzo. Dei is replaced by reserve team keeper Nicolas Cinalli, but we're otherwise unchanged in a game we can't lose - it can't happen.

Arezzo 0

Varese 0

A draw is a fine result away from home, even though an away goal to build on would have been great. Cinalli played well enough in goal, but Bandirali was exceptional in defence. Man of the Match went to Proietti in the opposition goal, as time and again he kept us out, notably from Brognoli on 11 and again on 38. But we didn't score. All is not lost, as in a week it is the 2nd leg at our place, where things *should* pick up. Mustn't.Be.Complacent.

Team: Cinalli, Gorini©, Bandirali, Larsen, Molinaro, Cecchetto, Rinaldini, Zebic, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

Gascoigne is passed fit for the clash on Sunday, but whether I play him or not is another thing. I don't want to break up the team that has worked hard in the last 2 not to lose.

Second Leg, and it's definitely going to be high drama today. Gazza starts on the bench as we go unchanged.

Varese 1

Jesus 6

Arezzo 1

Aglieti 90 pen

Oh the tension and drama I went through today. This was an amazing game, all action, end to end, the way I expected a relegation dogfight to be played. The first chance lead to a goal. Brognoli lofted the ball over, Larsen flicked on, and Jesus nudged past the onrushing Proietti for 1-0 icon_biggrin.gif Aglieti and then Zebic went close as it swung each way. Brognoli hit the bar on 45 as both sides had 6 shots at goal in the first half. My half time team talk just talked about solidity, focus, and the need to take a chance that came our way. 54 minutes, and Jesus was a whisker away from 2-0, as his turning effort shaved the post. A minute later, and Larsen hit the bar with a header from a Molinaro cross. 64 minutes, and we hit the woodwork again icon_mad.gif as Jesus' volley crashed off Proietti's bar - the keeper may have fingertipped it onto the frame. Arezzo pushed on, but Cinalli handled most things well. They pushed on in injury time, and then it happened. 4 minutes of injury time were scheduled, and on 93 Bricca intercepted a Cecchetto header. Larsen went shoulder to shoulder to guide him out of play, and Brica fell over. Referee Pasquale Nappi pointed to the spot icon_redface.gificon_frown.gif . My team went mad - they couldn't believe it. I was crestfallen as Aglietti stroked home. By virtue of that penalty Arezzo had an away goal and stood to stay up and relegate us........

• Administrators

..........or so I thought. Just as I had given up, my Assistant Manager Antonello Sartorel told me not to be down, that we were safe unless they scored. How, I wondered? They had the advantage. Sartorel explained that currently we were above them in the table, and this would mean that we were safe and they weren't. icon_biggrin.gif I knew I should have brushed up on the rules of Italian football. With that, the final whistle blew, and the great escape was complete. We'd survived, and the 4000 who'd cheered us on surged onto the field in delight. All a bit too much considering we shouldn't have been there, but who cares now icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Cinalli, Gorini©, Bandirali, Larsen, Molinaro, Cecchetto, Rinaldini, Zebic, Jesus, Majella, Brognoli

The Final Table

Italian Serie C1/A - Sunday 2nd June 2002

2001/2 Table

1st C Pro Patria 34 14 0 3 40 16 11 3 3 35 14 78

2nd Pl Spezia 34 11 4 2 33 18 6 5 6 21 18 60

3rd Pl Padova 34 12 2 3 32 13 6 3 8 21 31 59

4th Albinoleffe 34 10 3 4 23 13 7 3 7 27 27 57

5th Alzano 34 10 3 4 28 18 7 2 8 24 29 56

6th Treviso 34 9 3 5 33 21 7 3 7 27 31 54

7th Carrarese 34 9 3 5 28 18 6 4 7 22 24 52

8th Cesena 34 10 3 4 37 24 4 4 9 21 27 49

9th Spal 34 5 9 3 23 18 6 6 5 32 27 48

10th Pisa 34 7 5 5 25 17 6 2 9 17 20 46

11th Reggiana 34 8 4 5 26 24 4 3 10 21 30 43

12th Lucchese 34 7 6 4 22 15 3 6 8 18 23 42

13th Cittadella 34 9 3 5 37 28 3 1 13 20 35 40

14th VARESE 34 7 1 9 19 25 5 3 9 26 30 40

15th Pistoiese 34 6 4 7 27 26 4 4 9 22 34 38

16th R Lumezzane 34 8 2 7 23 28 2 4 11 18 36 36

17th R Arezzo 34 5 4 8 35 43 4 4 9 20 34 35

18th R Prato 34 4 4 9 21 39 1 3 13 12 42 22

</pre>

how lucky were we icon_redface.gif

• Administrators

Lets take a look at the way things finished on the continent.

Roma clinched their 4th Scudetto with a final day 2-0 win over Perugia at the Olimpico. A Vincenzo Montella double gave them the points they needed to stave off 2nd place Bologna, who did very well to come ahead of the big guns. Juventus and Inter complete the top 4, as Milan and Parma take UEFA Cup spots. Como, Udinese, Brescia and Modena all make the journey down to Serie B, where they will replace runaway champions Lecce, Palermo, Siena, and Ascoli, who make the big time at last.

In England Man Utd made a late break to win their 9th Premiership title, a Diego Forlan strike away at Sunderland enough to give them the 1 point difference to clear Arsenal. West London duo Chelsea and Fulham pick up 3rd and 4th, and with it Champions League qualifying spots - a major achievement for the latter. West Brom, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa all experience relegation, as despite WBA's 3-0 away win on the last day, West Ham beat already relegated Aston Villa 3-1 to stay up. Ipswich ran away with Division One to return to the top flight, where they will be joined by Gillingham, and playoff winners Crystal Palace, who beat Portsmouth 3-2 in Cardiff.

Spain saw Barcelona make a late second half of the season break to win their 17th League title, 2 points clear of Mallorca. The day came before the end, as Mallorca's 3-3 home draw with Valencia allowed Barcelona to seal the title at Huelva, and even lose to Valladolid on the last day. Real Madrid come 3rd, whilst Valladolid maintained a good start by finishing 4th, ahead of Sociedad by virtue of better results. Sevilla, Rayo, and Osasuna all found the top flight too tough again, all relegated long before the end. 3 of Zaragoza, Murcia, Oviedo and Elche will come up to the Primera Liga, as the two latter meet each other, meaning Cordoba may sneak in.

Lille won their first ever league title in France, by 4 points from Bordeaux. Metz suprise all to finish 3rd, one spot above Lyon. Bastia and Guingamp go down, as Marseille avoid the drop by the skin of their teeth, as Guingamp came so close to catching them.

Leverkusen finally won a League title in Germany, as they clinched the Bundesliga comfortably, opening a 6 point gap back to 2nd placed Dortmund. The two Munich sides are 3rd and 4th - FC Bayern and 1860 in that order. MGB, Nurnberg and Bielefeld will switch with Freiburg, Lubeck, and Mannheim next season.

Barcelona won the European Cup with a penalty kicks win over FC Bayern at Hampden. Scholl, Ballack and Bergkamp all missed their spot kicks, leaving Bonano as the hero. And Inter won the UEFA Cup with a 1-0 win over Leverkusen.

Next Up: A review of my first season at Varese

• Administrators

My season review

I knew very little about Varese, but it didn't stop me from coming here in confidence. A poor start was changed early, and we looked a talented bunch. But it went downhill and we escaped with a final minute reprieve in one of the most dramatic matches I've ever been involved in. The squad was generally good this season - Emiliano Dei saved us numerous times in goal, and whilst orginal backup Cavaliere was poor, Cinalli came in late and performed great. In defence, captain Edoardo Gorini only missed one game, and was consistent throughout, if not a little disappointing he didn't score. His partner in the middle Bandirali may have conceded the odd penalty, and failed to score, but was superior in the ratings to Gorini, so I'm pleased there. I'm very disappoined with left back Larsen, whose one goal and one assist were too little for my liking - he could have done more. Rotational right backs Cristiano Molinaro and Stefano Presotto played well enough.

Zlatko Zebic was one of the better players in our midfield, scoring and assisting a handy half dozen or so. Anders Nielsen played well in fits and spurts before cruelly being ruled out for 9 months. Gascoigne was mercurial at times, but didn't do it too often, which maybe shows the signs of age. Young loanee Alessandro Bruno surprised me with some good games, and 4 goals to boot. Gabriele Cecchetto, Srdjan Novkovic, and Matteo Rinaldini all played well when called upon, especially the latter, who played 20 games, some of which very well.

The attack will grab the plaudits, most of which surely will head to Stefano Brognoli. 20 goals in his debut season, alongside an average rating of 7.50 is brilliant from a teenager with a very bright future ahead of him. Without his goals we would have gone down. Alfred Santos de Jesus scored 13 in his first season, which I was again pleased with, but he sometimes disappointed as he tended to drift in and out of games. Mauro Ragatzu and Rosario Majella generally played off the front, without much impression, as the former failed to hit the net. All of my strikers were without experience before this season, and now with a full season behind them they may have a much better 2nd season.

So, overall I'm delighted we stayed up, and now we can look forward to a full pre-season together, where I can scour the market for some bargains as we are fresh out of money icon_frown.gif , all part of my plan to dominate Italy with the English....oops, I shouldn't have said that much icon_redface.gif

I meet with Sergio Paez and his associates about a deal to move here. He's just been released by Cordoba after 5 goals in 3 games. He is very humble, asking for little, and it looks like he may be an addition here.

It's Awards day in World Football. A selection below;

FIFA World Player of the Year - Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

World Footballer of the Year - Javier Saviola (Barcelona)

Italian Serie C1/A Manager of the Year - Carlo Muraro (Pro Patria)

Serie A Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Adrian Mutu

Serie A Defender of the Year - Trianos Dellas (Roma)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan, 23 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Claudio Bellucci (Bologna)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko

Serie B Player of the Year - Zlatan Muslimovic (Ascoli)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Pippo Maniero (Palermo, 27 goals)

Serie C1/A Player of the Year - Luca Salvalaggio (Pro Patria)

Serie C1/A Top Goalscorer - Gianmarco Agostinelli (Pistoiese, 19 goals)

Lots to mull over there icon_smile.gif

My first signing of the summer is already complete. Midfielder Marco Fuoco will join from Lodigiani on a free transfer. He looks talented enough to play here - Lodigiani didn't see what I have.

The World Cup Kicked off today in Japan as France narrowly beat Senegal 1-0 by way of a Thierry Henry goal.

Today also sees the agreement of the deal to sign striker Sergio Paez on a free. Spaniards have rarely done well in Italy, but he looks a gem. Could be a good partner for Brognoli.

• Administrators

More Awards;

European Footballer of the Year - Simone Inzaghi (Lazio)

European Goalkeeper of the Year - Oliver Kahn (FC Bayern)

European Defender of the Year - Mark Iuliano (Juventus)

European Midfielder of the Year - Luis Enrique (Barcelona)

European Striker of the Year - Simone Inzaghi (Lazio)

The Supporters Club announce their decision to award Stefano Brognoli as their Player of the Year. Well deserved too icon_smile.gif

Mohammad Zaaboub comes in for a two week trial so I can assess the Frenchman's abilities. He may be a decent left back in time.

Some large transfer fees change hands in Spain today. First, Barcelona pay Arsenal £23m for the services of Robert Pires, and part with £6.75m for Marco Di Vaio. Deportivo pay £17m to buy Luis Figo and take him to his third La Liga club. And Real Madrid, not to be outdone, pay nearly £11m for winger Victor, as part of the deal taking Figo to Galicia.

My 2 Yugoslavs, Zebic and Novkovic, are allowed to return home to Yugoslavia for 2 weeks, as they've expressed feelings of homesickness recently. Hopefully they'll return happier.

I met with the Board this morning to talk about the coming season. They all agreed that a similar result - ie Varese staying afloat in this division - would be the main aim. Anything beyond that would be brilliant.

The FIGC fax through the draw for the Serie C Cup Groups;

Group C

Alessandria

Novara

Saronno

Valenzana

VARESE

this group gives me a little hope that maybe we can get a little run in the Cup going - I think they're all beatable, if we play well consistently.

My transfer dealings have not, as yet, come to much fruition. Paez and Ruoco will join soon, but other than that I'll be looking for a bargain deal, and a couple of loans from big clubs.

• Administrators

I was alerted by the chief scout, Mario Ceccarelli, this morning, that talented San Marino player Raffaele Moroni will be able to leave his C2/B club for a bargain £26k as they failed to reach promotion. I get onto their Director of Football, Alfio Pelliccioni, as quick as I can to see if we can thrash out a deal for the multi-talented youngster.

The new fixture list is faxed through in the afternoon, much to my eager anticipation. I find our opening game will be a tough one, at home to Cittadella. That is followed by a trip to newly promoted Alessandria, then a home game against promotion favourites Florentia Viola. A hard start :/ I also see we have Pistoiese on the last day - who knows what that may bring.

Scout Ceccarelli tells me to contact Greek Lower Division club Chania ASAP over a player named Anastasios Skalidis. I research a little, and discover this guy scored 58 goals in 36 games last season icon_cool.gif I contact them immediately, explaining our financial situation, and ask what they'll require for him. To my surprise they only want £30,000 icon_redface.gif - I tell them not to consider any bid other than ours, whilst I pester the board for the funds to acquire the man who will give our promotion push a huge boost.

I get young keeper Nicolas Cinalli to sign a new deal here, as he played well at the end of last season. The youngster may play a lot more this coming year.

My bid for Skalidis was accepted icon_smile.gif but the player rejects the move over fears of coming to Italy at such an early stage in his career. I will try my hardest to convince him it's the right deal for both parties.

Whilst enquiring about any funds I may have, I discover we have a debt of around £1.5m icon_eek.gif - this club has to go places just to survive - and without funding that's going to be very hard.

I am granted permission to discuss a contract with Raffaele Moroni. His demands are a little over what I can budget, but all my hopes are to get this deal put together no matter what.

I do seal a deal today, to bring in centre back Antonio Cadeddu from Terracina on a free (what else?). The 28 year old is a fine presence in the air and should provide cover and competition for the current crop. One more defender should arrive in the next few days.

My plans for Moroni look to be scuppered. Venezia of Serie B have offered him a deal, which is surely more attractive than ours. That's what's wrong in football - big clubs not looking out for smaller ones icon_mad.gif

My 2nd defender is signed and sealed (I hope). 22 year old Spaniard Edwin should arrive from Tenerife soon, which may be good company for the other new Spaniard. I've heard mixed views on this guy - just have to wait and see I guess - although being at Tenerife means you must have some quality.

As I thought, Moroni's joined Venezia icon_frown.gif Shame, he'd have done wonders here.

The board inject £1.1m to help the club stay afloat icon_smile.gif

All my new signings arrive today, and in a quick training session I discover some are better than others. Spaniard Sergio Paez looks a natural finisher, quite a good one too icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Zahboub leaves following his trial, having not impressed. Skalidis still won't consider moving to Italy, and I approach Valenciennes about winger Laurent Plaquet. He's on a free, and myself and his agent talk a deal, which should be acceptable.

I offer a trial to versatile Spanish defender Dioli, just to see whether he is worth buying.

Oh, and only one of my Yugoslavs returned icon_redface.gif Novkovic has taken it upon himself to stay at home and refuse to play for us icon_mad.gif I immediately issue him available for transfer - if he doesn't want to be here, he won't be. He will also be fined a weeks wages for the act.

Salvatore Avallone retired today after announcing he would last season. He wouldn't have played much anyway, but I wish him a good retirement.

Dioni arrives, and looks a good player. We talk figures, and he may stay here permanently.

Laurent Plaquet signs for Varese today, the left winger could be key player this season, as could a few of my signings. He's a pacy French winger, who can pass very well.

Dioni becomes our third Spanish signing of the summer. He isn't at full potential yet, but given time he could develop nicely. I think a goalkeeper is about the only thing I need now icon_smile.gif

France finish 3rd in the World Cup with a 2-1 win over hosts Japan. Philippe Mexes and Thierry Henry both scored in Yokohama.

Italy clinched their 4th World Cup with a 2-1 win over Spain in Tokyo this afternoon. Rome-based players Simone Inzaghi and Christian Panucci scored either side of the break to give Trapattoni's men the win.

15 year old defensive midfielder Christian Santi has been the player chosen by those running the youth academy to be promoted to the first team squad, after my discussion with them about promising youngsters. At 15 he may be too young to dive straight in, but from what I've seen he can pass accurately and consistently, and also has a good awareness of the rest of the game going on. A few reserve games should give me the scope of how he'll do.

Srdjan Novkovic returned today, to my surprise, and wants to play again. He isn't the most popular player amongst our team at the moment, and I'll give it a while before I take him off the list - see if he's truly sorry.

And England replaced Sven Goran Eriksson with.............Terry Venables icon_biggrin.gif after their dismal World Cup showing.

Next Up: I look to sign a veteran but prolific striker, and our first game of the season in the Cup at Alessandria.

• Administrators

Alessandria are the first team to play us this season. It may be a Cup match, but I want to do well in the competition. I decide on giving debuts to Edwin, Fuoco, Plaquet, and Sergio Paez.

Varese 0

Alessandria 2

Spader 56

Tacconelli 66

They're a lot better than I gave them credit for, which in hindsight was a poor decision by myself to underestimate a side we've never played. We started bright enough for my liking, as good link up between Paez and Brognoli just didn't lead to a goal. Giulio Spader scored 15 goals last season, and a great goal from long range gave them the lead before the hour. 10 minutes later Tacconelli's header gave them the win, as we lost the first game I really didn't want to lose.

Team: Cinalli, Edwin (Bandirali 77), Gorini, Molinaro, Larsen, Rinaldini, Cecchetto (Gascoigne 77), Fuoco, Plaquet, Paez, Brognoli (Majella 77)

This morning I go on a major hunt for anyone and everyone available for loan, and bid for a load of them in the hope of getting some of them.

My first agreement icon_smile.gif Caglairi defender Simone Loria comes in until the end of the season - which is nice as he's better than most at this level icon_smile.gif Just waiting on more responses from home and abroad...

We travel to C2 club Novara with one change - Loria in for Edwin - and renewed optimism - something we need to keep for much of the season.

Novara 3

Palombo 9, 45

Brizzi 11

Varese 3

Brognoli 26 pen, 30

Sergio Paez 33

A game packed with action, tactics, and some fine spirit (no, not alcohol icon_biggrin.gif ) We were shocking early on - two down in 11 minutes as the two Massimiliano's - Palombo and Brizzi - both scored headers past the hapless Cinalli. But I decided a tactical switch was the only way we would get back in the game - and I moved to an attacking formation. Plaquet was fouled from a Cecchetto cross, and Brognoli sent Bini the wrong way. Shortly after, he scored again, after an assist from Rinaldini. The amazing turnaround came just 7 minutes after we got 1 back - as Sergio Paez headed home his first goal for the club. But we fell asleep, and Palombo headed home again for 3-3. At half time I was angry at Cinalli, who I replaced with Dei. Dei had an absolutely brilliant and inspired second half - nothing beat him. Loria, Larsen and Gorini all helped keep them at bay. A draw still isn't good enough, as I look for that style that suits us.

Team: Cinalli (Dei 45), Loria, Gorini, Molinaro, Larsen, Rinaldini, Cecchetto, Fuoco, Plaquet, Paez, Brognoli

Valenzana beat us in the Cup last season, and we're not in the best of ways to beat them now. Dei in for Cinalli

Varese 1

Jesus 63

Gorini sent off 71

Valenzana 5

Foglia 21, 29, 70, 78, 90

Deary me icon_frown.gif Felice Foglia grabbed all 5 goals as we were as dismal as we've ever been, and it's driven me to the brink of quitting, as I can't do any more icon_frown.gif The same team that drew 3-3 last time were well and truly stuffed - and it was deserved. Jesus' goal was the only bright moment, but Gorini getting sent off was stupid. One more defeat and I will probably go.

Team: Dei, Loria, Gorini, Molinaro (Cadeddu 45), Larsen, Rinaldini (Jesus 62), Cecchetto (Gascoigne 62), Fuoco, Plaquet, Paez, Brognoli

Saronno are apparently a mediocre team, according to my scouts. Well, lets see if we can at least beat them. A guest in todays crowd it Anastasios Skalidis, who finally agreed to talk contracts yesterday. If we can put on a show for him it may persuade him to come. icon_smile.gif Gascoigne starts for Cecchetto, and Edwin for the suspended Gorini.

Saronno 1

Di Stasio 59

Varese 0

Oh.My.God. If we lost to these we stand little chance of staying up. icon_frown.gif Acampora in goal was brilliant for the home side, as everything we tried just did not go in. They deserved the win, as they had one disallowed before Di Stasio's winner. If we ever needed a striker the quality of Skalidis, it's now icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Loria, Gorini, Molinaro, Larsen, Rinaldini (Cecchetto 59), Gascoigne, Fuoco, Plaquet, Paez, Brognoli

Next match is against Cittadella as we try to open our league campaign with a reversal in fortune. Resignation is in my mind...

• Administrators

Former absentee Novkovic injured a thigh this afternoon, and should be out for around a month.

First game of the League season will be a hard one, as Cittadella come to the Franco Ossola knowing we're on the back of poor form. A few changes are made, again tactical, to get a win.

Varese 1

Sergio Paez 14

Cittadella 0

8274 fans turned out on a scorching hot day in Lombardy to watch us do an amazing 180 and actually win for the first time since late May icon_smile.gif Little early action was seen, but the game exploded on 14 minutes, as Gascoigne showed glimpses of old, as he marauded away, found Plaquet, who put Paez a chance on a plate - the Spaniard buried the half volley to give us the lead icon_smile.gif End to end it went, as both keepers were fabulous to keep so many great attempts out. Brognoli and Paez showed a great understanding, very promising indeed, but Paez was forced off with an injury - a twisted ankle may keep him sidelined for a month icon_frown.gif Still, we played as a unit, which was good to see, and the front men were linking nicely.

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco, Plaquet, Sergio Paez (Jesus 69), Brognoli

Alessandria beat us rather easily in the Serie C Cup a month ago. A good scope of our progression will be what happens as we visit the Giuseppe Moccagatta today. Jesus replaces the injured Paez.

Alessandria 1

Tacconelli 10

Varese 1

Majella 82

The signs are all there that we're on the way to another improvement - consistency will be key, as we did this at the start of the last season. Alessandria stole a lead when Andrea Tacconelli scored against us again, but my players didn't panic, we played some good football and made chances. Just 10 minutes after the goal a long ball from Fuoco was almost finished by Jesus, who although lively, is very wasteful. He proved this 3 or 4 times today, as we missed chance after chance after chance. Tiziano Ramon in the home goal played his part too, putting together a string of fine saves. As time ran out, I took a gamble and threw on Majella up front, as he's better in the air and Andrea Da Rold was winning everything with his head. It worked. Immediately Fuoco hit a long searching diagonal ball, which hit Majella's head perfectly, and it flew in icon_smile.gif We got the point we deserved, and continued impressing. Please, keep it up!

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Rinaldini, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco, Plaquet, Jesus (Majella 80) , Brognoli

Fiorentina come here, and we know that they have a squad talented enough for Serie A. This season they boast Richard Knopper, Kim Nam-Il, Ciccio Grabbi, Mohammad Gargo, and others. I, meanwhile, have to replace the injured Mattea Rinaldini with 16 year old debutant Christian Santi.

Varese 0

Fiorentina 2

Possanzini 13

Grabbi 66

The good thing about today is that we played well against by far the best team in the League. Sure, we lost, but we matched and/or bettered them in most areas. Possanzini's tap in and Grabbi's volley were the difference in the end, but Fiorentina's defence was brilliant. Our attack wasn't firing though icon_frown.gif The greatest thing is the performance of 16 year old Santi - he played a blinder, up against experienced internationals Paulo Sousa annd Richard Knopper, and he made Knopper look ordinary. He passed well, tackled brilliantly, and won most of the headers he challenged. There's again enough there to be happy with.

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu (Ferraresso 82), Fuoco, Plaquet, Jesus (Majella 82) , Brognoli

Triestina are another team who belong in a bigger league. They are top, 100% record, and haven't conceded. Their stadium, the Nereo Rocco is a 30000 all seater, and we visit today. Knowing the quality of their centre backs, and their pace, I play the taller and more aerially proficient Majella ahead of Jesus.

Triestina 0

Varese 1

Gascoigne 69

In my eyes this is the best result and performance since I came here icon_smile.gif Ragatzu could have had a 6th minute penalty, but ref D'Aguanno turned it down. Naturally, being top, the home side came at us hard, but got very few shots away, as Gorini was a mountain for us. 5 minutes after half time, Gigena headed home, but only for it to be removed. We took our reprieve with both hands, as we came forward again, with renewed spirit, as Loria almost smashed in. 20 minutes from time, Fuoco, who was magical today, sent a cross in, which was guided home by Gascoigne icon_smile.gif the first goal they'd conceded this season. They pressurised so much, but we held on for a brilliant 1-0. Fuoco was brilliant, passing and crossing like magic. Santi contested 17 tackles, winning over half, and received more plaudits, and my tactics to play Majella worked - Bega was hopeless today, after a good season to date. Overall I'm delighted. icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco, Plaquet, Majella, Brognoli

• Administrators

Cesena are near the bottom of the table, but are a potent threat whilst Germàn Denis plays. He will be a threat to the back 3 of my side, which remains unchanged.

Varese 0

Majella sent off

Cesena 0

They put 8 past us last season, but none today, as our defence gets stronger. Denis had their 2 shots at goal, both of which tested Dei, but we could have won, but some poor finishing let us down. Ragatzu's 62nd minute header was the best we had, as he stretched but put the ball wide, at the end of some brilliant play. Pasquale Nappi then sent off Majella for a tame push on Damiani, who sold it worse than the Undertaker icon_wink.gif I will appeal. A 90th minute free kick from Gazza hit the bar and over for a goal kick, which showed we weren't going to win. Still, just 3 conceded in 5 - good stuff. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco, Plaquet, Majella, Brognoli

Santi played his 3rd blinder, only mislaying 3 passes, and again keeping things flowing icon_smile.gif

Majella's red card will stand icon_frown.gif and it seems likely the FIGC will hand out an extended ban for violent conduct.

Sergio Paez comes back from injury to partner Brognoli, who looks to return to his prolific best away to Carrarese.

Carrarese 1

Alberti 88

Varese 1

Fuoco 27

Harsh and unfair. We played well enough to deserve a win, as Paez and Brognoli linked well again, both just missing various opportunities. 27 minutes though, and we lead through a bullet shot by Fuoco, who's improved recently. Ex-River keeper Saccone played amazing in goal, as we couldn't build on the lead. 2 minutes from time, and Alberti stole an undeserved leveller to steal a point. But we're going pretty well icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Livorno are slightly ahead of us in the table, and I go unchanged again to keep the team playing well consistently.

Varese 3

Ragatzu 3

Gascoigne 45

Brognoli 52

Livorno 1

Nonis 21

Such an impressive performance, it runs the win in Trieste close. 3 minutes in, and the moment everyone's been waiting for, especially Ragatzu, as he scored his first goal for the club after 2 seasons - tapping home a rebound icon_smile.gif He's been great on the wing this season, but nothing compared to Laurent Plaquet today - his crosses were dynamic. Hugo Enyinnaya came very close on 9, hitting the bar, but we shackled the dangerous Nigerian pretty well. But Renzo Nonis scored a good equaliser, running and hitting home off the outside of his foot. Sergio Paez then hit the bar on 43, before a goal on half time changed the match. Paul Gacoigne made a Paul Scholes-like break through the midfield, and scored his 2nd of the season. 53 minutes, and one of Plaquet's pinpoint crosses found Brognoli's head, and he finished in his usual emphatic style before setting off on celebration of his 3rd of the season. Even then we came forward more, as Livorno just fouled us to stop our flow. This is the consistency we need, and we look to be developing ruthless tendencies icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Fuoco (Rinaldini 68), Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Marco Fuoso was forced off late in the 2nd half, and damaged ankle ligaments means 3 weeks out for the impressing midfielder. Someone who is also impressing, yet isn't injured is 16 year old Santi, who played astoundingly again. He is worth his spot in the team on pure merit at the moment.

On transfer deadline day I bring in another loanee - Jermaine McSporran from Wycombe. He's quick - very quick, and I fancy he can terrorise some of the defenders at this level. He joins until the end of the season, and goes straight into the squad for the trip to Spal.

• Administrators

Spal are proudly in 3rd place after a good start to the season. McSporran sits on the bench as he only arrived 2 days ago, whilst Rinaldini replaces the injured Fuoco in midfield.

Spal 0

Varese 1

Brognoli 64 pen

The way the midfield and strikeforce link together is great to watch currently. Early on, Gascoigne and Rinaldini linked to put Paez away, but he wasted a good chance. 22 minutes, and the two former combined for Gascogne to score, only the ref ruled it out for offside against Brognoli. The home sides best spell was around half time, as Dei was forced into saves from Gatti twice. Shortly after the hour Colle was adjusged to have pushed Sergio Paez in the area, and Brognoli had a chance to score the penalty, which he did with aplomb. The result was never in doubt from then on, as Pierobon was by far the busier keeper. McSporran got on for a minute or two at the end, but a win and another clean sheet keeps me happy. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne, Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Sergio Paez (McSporran 90), Brognoli

The local TV are raving about Christian Santi. The 16 year old was voted Man of the Match today, passing and tackling with such ease for a schoolboy. He won 9 out of 9 tackles today, 5 of them key as they either broke up or started an attack. He's getting better, but I don't want him burned out.

I'm not sure what to expect from Spezia - they're a team like us - good one moment, poor the next. McSporran starts up front, and Gascoigne is rested as Di Simone plays his first of the season.

Varese 0

Gorini sent off 45

Spezia 3

Caverzan 6, 45 pen

Agazzone 53

Our 5 match unbeaten run ended in strange circumstances. In one way we deserved to lose, but not by 3 goals. Andrea Caverzan scored against us again to give them an early lead, but we were never out of it until half time. Gorini made a wreckless challenge in the area, and Caverzan made it 2 whilst Gorini trudged off. The red card changed the game plan, and we only conceded one more, from Agazzone, as the result was certain by now. It could have been more but for the brilliance of Dei, Rinaldini, and again Santi icon_smile.gif Di Simone was very disappointing - may not start next time.

Team: Dei, Gorini ©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Di Simone (Ferraresso 81), Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, McSporran (Edwin 45), Brognoli

From Fermana I'm expecting a similar team to the one that Spezia were like. Gorini is suspended for 3 games, so Edwin covers. Gascoigne and Paez return.

Fermana 4

Mastronunzio 17

Marra 29, 50, 88 pen

Varese 3

Plaquet 9

Gascoigne 36

Rinaldini 74

Gascoigne sent off 87

icon_frown.gif This match didn't deserve a winner, as both teams showed amazing courage and brilliant football. It so happened that the referee spoilt the game for me with a poor decision at a crucial time. We took the lead when Plaquet volleyed home his first goal for the club. Mastronunzio levelled with a fine strike, before Francesco Marra gave them the lead with a header. Gascoigne tied it up again with a tap in to make it 2-2 at the break. Marra struck again after half time to make it 3-2, and we were struggling. But with a quarter of an hour left, Mattia Rinaldini struck a beautiful 30 yard piledriver to make it 3-3. A draw was the right result, but with just 2 minutes to go, Andrea Zin was persuaded to give a penalty to the home side by a dive from Rocco. He then gave Gazza a 2nd yellow and sent him off icon_frown.gif Marra completed the hat-trick, and we lost. 7 goals conceded in 2 games, but without our captain at the back we're worse off.

Team: Dei, Edwin, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Gascoigne©, Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli (McSporran 69)

• Administrators

Albinoleffe will be the 3rd team we face with a weaker team than I'd like, and they'll be looking to take advantage of it.

Varese 0

Albinoleffe 1

Araboni 42

The game, statistically, was even. Nothing seperated us in a poor excuse for a match, except a header from Araboni just before half time. A makeshift defence did well in my opinion, and the return of Fuoco was a bright side, but 3 defeats in a row. Sure, we only deserved to lose 1, but is the run well and truly over, or is it only because of bad luck. The result leaves us firmly in mid table, not bad, but we can do better.

Team: Dei, Cadeddu, Bandirali©, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, Sergio Paez (McSporran 82), Brognoli

The midfield I want is back together today, as Gazza and Fuoco can return to the startibng XI at Reggiana.

Reggiana 1

Pizzi 36

Varese 0

For the 3rd straight game the result went against what I felt was deserved. Fausto Pizzi's 36th minute strike was the dividing factor in the game, but we played well enough to deserve, again, at least a draw. McSporran came close on a number of occasions, forcing saves from the keeper, and cracking the crossbar. I may have to do something, even if I don't want to change our tactics, as we've lost 4 straight now, and the next two games are against teams 2nd and 3rd. The defence played well enough, but Gorini's influence and experience is needed badly. Thank God his suspension finished today.

Team: Dei, Cadeddu, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne©, Plaquet, McSporran, Brognoli

For the first time in a couple of months, my first choice starting XI can be played against Treviso, 3rd in the table. See if my theory is proven right...

Varese 4

Gascoigne 34

Ragatzu 39

Rinaldini 68, 83

Treviso 1

Chiappara 45

I knew it!!! icon_biggrin.gif The best team I can put out managed to do this, beat a very good team 4-1 icon_smile.gif A tight opening to the match was smashed apart in the space of 5 minutes, as first Gascoigne and then Ragatzu scored right footed strikes to give us clear daylight icon_smile.gif On the stroke of half time Chiappara scored, and I thought it would be the spark they needed to come back, and I was almost right, as Gallo almost headed home a Dundjerski cross shortly into the second half. Gascoigne was forced off injured, and Rinaldini came on. I thought we'd have to sit back, but we surged onwards, and Rinaldini amazingly scored 2 in 15 minutes - the same amount as he'd previosuly scored in the rest of his career of 5 seasons. icon_biggrin.gif His first was a sidefoot pass into the roof of the net from a Plaquet pass, and Fuoco made his 2nd, which he drove low into the corner icon_smile.gif Once again, Santi was sheer class, Man of the Match again, and as ever his passing and tackling was on the spot from the first minute. Are we back? icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne (Rinaldini 49), Plaquet, McSporran, Brognoli

Gascoigne will be out for 3 weeks icon_frown.gif

Anders Nielsen started some light training today after some 6 months of physiotherapy. He's still months away from a return though.

• Administrators

Lucchese are 2nd in the table, and will prove to be a very hard game for us. But a 4-1 win last time out should give us confidence. Rinaldini comes in for the injured Gazza.

Lucchese 1

Pessotto 40

Varese 0

The match was tight and dominated by the midfield. Fuoco came close on 6 minutes, his shot always rising though. Dei was then forced into a fingertip save from Paradiso's free kick, and again form Memmo after. Vanni Pessotto's goal ened up being the winner, as he got to a loose ball first, and drove past Dei icon_frown.gif Ragatzu and Brognoli combined for the closest we came in normal time, alhough in injury time Plaquet clipped the post, as we just went down 1-0 icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, McSporran, Brognoli

Lots of managerial change-arounds today. Pisa, Pescara and Novara all sacked their managers today after poor results, and Brescello appointed a new boss. Oh, and we play Pisa next icon_biggrin.gif

Our record against teams who have just sacked their manager is poor enough, and without a full strength side I'm not too confident about the clash with Pisa.

Varese 1

Brognoli 42 pen

Gorini injured 13

Pisa 2

Ambrosi 3

Pomini 39

Pomini sent off 42

Obbedio sent off 42

That old inconsistency has come back again, in a match where again the luck didn't go my way, and the result ended up against us. An Ambrosi header gave the visitors a lead, and just short of the quarter hour we were weakened when captain Gorini was forced off with injury icon_frown.gif Pomini made it 2 and we were in a bad way. But then things looked up. Goalscrer Pomini hacked sown McSporran, and referee Didato sent him off. Brognoli halved the deficit, and on the way back to the halfway line to restart, Obbedio punched Rinaldini flush in the face icon_redface.gif and was dismissed. My team talk at the break was not to panic, that the goal would come. Oh how wrong I was. Brognoli and Ragatzu both hit the bar, the latter in the last minute, and Paez had one cleared off the line, as it just would not happen icon_mad.gif We were poor early on, but their keeper played brilliantly. Santi was however voted man of the match again icon_smile.gif , but a 4th yellow card means a 1 game ban. Gorini is injured for 2 weeks.

Team: Dei, Gorini© (Edwin 13), Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Rinaldini, Plaquet, McSporran (Sergio Paez 81), Brognoli

After the match against struggling Pro Sesto we have a near 3 week break, where the squad can recover and play at full strength icon_smile.gif

As I said, Pro Sesto are low in the table, just off the bottom, but in the current form we're in I don't think we can win, not without absentees Santi and Gorini.

Pro Sesto 3

Putelli 1, 47

Mauro 59

Varese 1

Plaquet 24

Merry Christmas icon_mad.gif Just 19 seconds in Roberto Putelli headed home to make a potentially bad day worse icon_frown.gif Laurent Plaquet levelled up proceedings with a good volley, but 1-1 at the break against a poor team is not what I wanted. Putelli went on to add another, then Mauro finished us off on a day I really want to forget. Yes, we hit the bar twice, again icon_mad.gif but we didn't deserve a win. Changes must be made now, as we've only taken 3 points out of 24, and will be dragged into the relegation playoff zone again icon_frown.gif

Team: Dei, Edwin, Bandirali, Loria, Rinaldini, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne©, Plaquet, McSporran (Sergio Paez 46), Brognoli

As the year changes a digit again, we'll look at the situation in the major European leagues....

Domestically here in Italy Milan lead from Juventus, both on 29 points but the Rossoneri have a game in hand. Lazio and Roma are above Bologna, who've slipped after a good start. The promoted teams make most of the relegation zone, as Ascoli, Palermo and Siena are all struggling, along with Chievo. Como, Napoli and Brescia look good to make a swift retun to the big time.

England sees Leeds leading the way from Liverpool by a point, but the real shock is Gillingham in third place over halfway through. Rodney Wallace has been their hero, along with Nikos Dabizas. Man Utd are way back in 12th. Birmingham, Charlton and Palace are all in the mire, although Newcastle and Fulham are in peril.

To Spain and Atletico Madrid lead the way by 5 points from Zaragoza and Betis. In Fernando Torres and Jose Reyes the leaders have 2 of the best young players in the world, and that's why they lead. The big surprise is Valencia rock bottom at Christmas, only winning one game in 16. Malaga, Alaves, Sociedad and Huelva are also in a spot of bother.

Lorient may be top in France but Marseille are well placed to overtake them, being 1 point behind them with a game in hand. Perhaps the best placed of all though is Monaco - 6 points off the lead but with 3 games over the rest of the chasing pack. In the new league structure, Niort, Sochaux and Metz are in the wrong place.

Finally to Germany, as the Bundesliga is lead by Hertha Berlin, with a narrow one point gap from Bayern Munich and Kaiserslautern. Cottbus are struggling at the bottom.

Lazio also signed Rivaldo today for £17m.

• Administrators

The New Year's Table

Italian Serie C1/A - Thursday 2nd January 2003

2002/3 Table

1st Fiorentina 16 8 0 0 22 1 6 1 1 19 11 43

2nd Lucchese 16 6 2 0 15 5 4 2 2 12 6 34

3rd Triestina 16 5 1 2 17 9 5 1 2 15 7 32

4th Spezia 16 6 1 1 18 7 4 0 4 18 11 31

5th Treviso 16 6 1 1 15 8 4 0 4 11 12 31

6th Spal 16 3 4 1 13 10 5 1 2 16 12 29

7th Albinoleffe 16 6 0 2 21 12 2 2 4 12 16 26

8th Fermana 16 4 2 2 11 8 3 3 2 11 10 26

9th Livorno 16 2 3 3 10 10 3 1 4 14 14 19

10th Cittadella 16 3 1 4 17 18 2 3 3 12 16 19

11th VARESE 16 3 1 4 9 10 2 2 4 8 11 18

12th Pistoiese 16 3 1 4 13 13 2 2 4 9 14 18

13th Pisa 16 3 1 4 9 13 2 2 4 7 11 18

14th Alessandria 16 2 2 4 16 17 2 2 4 11 17 16

15th Reggiana 16 4 0 4 8 10 0 4 4 5 13 16

16th Pro Sesto 16 3 1 4 11 19 1 1 6 8 24 14

17th Carrarese 16 1 5 2 11 12 1 0 7 8 21 11

18th Cesena 16 0 2 6 5 16 0 1 7 2 15 3

</pre>

not bad in my opinion, mid table is a good place for us to be at this time. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

Luca D'Amato joins on loan from Lazio until the end of the season. He'll provide decent defensive cover/competition. icon_smile.gif

Pistoise are level on points with us, which makes the first clash back after the winter break all the more important to win. My first team is back fit and ready.

Pistoiese 0

Varese 1

Loria 16

Bandirali injured 30

The win was important, as we fought tooth and nail to get a vital 3 points. Pistoiese played well, probably better than us, but we were solid, moreso than the last few weeks. Simone Loria's first goal for the club was a timely one - hopefully he'll get some more now he's agreed to join us permamently icon_smile.gif A bullet header from a Gascoigne corner gave us the points. Another good point was D'Amato's debut - he came on for the injured Bandirali and slotted in seamlessly. icon_smile.gif Negro Frer almost stole an undeserved point (or more) for the home side, but we won, and about time too. The important thing is to keep this going.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali (D'Amato 30), Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Bandirali played through with an injury, but aggravated the hamstring and now misses a month.

The game against Cittadella is one I feel could go either way. D'Amato makes his full debut, as does youngster Roberto Padovani on the left wing for injured Plaquet.

Cittadella 1

Zanon 73

Varese 0

It took one moment of magic to divide us two midtable sides, but it wasn't from us. icon_frown.gif Davide Zanon's beautifully flighted free kick was his first goal of the season, and enough to seperate the sides in a match they dominated - we played pathetically, bar Dei and Santi, who gave it their all. I'm disappointed, and again it's another 1-0 defeat. If we could get a goal early then we can win, I'm sure. Brognoli hasn't produced this season like last, but so far all loan deals for strikers have collapsed.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, D'Amato, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne, Padovani (McSporran 76), Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Our 3rd game of the season against Alessandria, who are in the relegation playoffs, but a win will take them above us - that's how tight it can be. McSporran gets a chance on the left wing in the continued absence of Plaquet.

Varese 1

Gorini 21

Alessandria 0

One of the tensest matches I've ever had the (mis)fortune to be involved in, but what a result! The early exchanges were tepid at best, but on 17 minutes the visitors had a goal disallowed, as Tacconelli thought he'd kept up his record of scoring in every game against us, only to be ruled offside. Soon enough, we took the advantage given to us. Gascoigne curled in a corner, and captain Edoardo Gorini met it hard. It nearly took the net with it, as his first goal for the club whilst I've been here gave us the lead. icon_smile.gif Gascoigne and Bravo dominated the play for either team, but the chances that fell to Garzon, Paez and others ended up not being converted. Dino Pagliari's men surged forwards in the final stages, and out us under immense pressure. I can't find the words to describe the way Dei, Loria, Gorini, D'Amato and Santi held up - they were stunning. The result could be the one that keeps us up eventuall, even though there's still a long way to go.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, D'Amato, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu, Gascoigne, McSporran, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Christian Santi was again showing incredible class for a 16 year old. Again voted MotM, his passing got us moving, and his tough tackling won many admirers again. But he's not a dirty player - he is a class act, and should be for years.

The win highlighted another fact. In 19 games we've scored just 19 goals - by far the worst in the top half of the league. We need a striker soon, but my negotiations with Poggibonsi's Lucas Cantoro have been scuppered by the Argentinian demanding a lot of money.

I decide to take Mariano Cordaro on loan from Pro Favara, a lower league club. He is very raw, but showed me he can score goals, which we'll need for the trip to Fiorentina - miles clear at the top.

• Administrators

Fiorentina, under the guidance of Alberto Zaccheroni, are top of the League and looking ever more likely to gain a 2nd successive promotion. The out of form Brognoli is dropped in place of debutant Cordaro. Plaquet returns on the wing.

Fiorentina 1

Possanzini 31 pen

Varese 0

The fact we were overwhelmed is not the point today. The home side had 16 shots to our goal, and we had none. Therefore we were never going to win. But Possanzini's 31st minute penalty was a controversial way for I Viola to win the game. Turchetta quite clearly dived in the area to win the penalty, but it wasn't seen that way by referee Ettore Fanesi icon_frown.gif Th ex-Roma winger scored the winner, and although we lost 1-0 again icon_mad.gif we played quite solidly, which against Fiorentina is a good thing icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu (Nielsen 69), Gascoigne, Plaquet (McSporran 69), Sergio Paez, Cordaro (Brognoli 69)

The game saw Anders Nielsen make a 20 minute appearance after returning from a cruciates injury. He may get into the team soon, but not yet. The only other positive I can take is that Christian Santi was a rock for us - he contested an unbelievable 21 tackles icon_redface.gif and won 14 icon_cool.gif

Earlier in the season we pulled out the best performance I've seen in a long time with the 1-0 win at Triestina. They, however, are still in a good position as they come to us today. Gascoigne is suspended so Rinaldini replaces him, and Bandirali and Brognoli return.

Varese 2

Gorini 21

Brognoli 71 pen

Triestina 2

Gubellini 46, 56

Not the worst result, and we showed good fight again, and scored a couple icon_smile.gif The lead went to us, as Fuoco's corner was buried by Gorini, for his 2nd home goal in succession. But Triestina captain Mirco Gubellini had 22 goals before today, and was always going to be a threat. Two powerful headers early in the 2nd half gave them a lead, which they obviously thought was secure. But we came on, and as Paez's header was handled by Venturelli, Brognoli was able to put the spot kick away, and give us a share of the points. Santi continued upon his glowing reputation, as he was given a 9/10 rating for the 3rd match in succession by the local press icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Ragatzu (Nielsen 90), Rinaldini, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Cesena have only 6 points this season, one of which came against us at home. I won't be satisfied unless we win this away clash against a side resigned to relegation.

Cesena 1

Simoni 56

Varese 3

Brognoli 6, 61, 64

It was about time! Stefano Brognoli was a star last season, but had struggled for goals this campaign. His hat-trick today were his first goals from open play since October, and also the first hat-trick for anyone since I arrived icon_smile.gif He gave them a warning on 5 minutes, shooting wide, but a minute later he found his mark, heading home a Plaquet cross. Not much of note continued until after half time. 56 minutes saw winger Diego Simoni score his first goal for Cesena with a low drive. I was looking for someone to take to the fore, take the game into their hands. That was Brognoli. 5 minutes later he received a lofty pass from Paez, drove on past Melina, and sent a shot into the roof of the net icon_smile.gif He completed the treble shortly after, heading home a Gascoigne corner icon_smile.gif Fuoco hit the post 2 mins later twice in the same attack, as his drive hit the post, and from the following cross he volleyed off the inside of the post and away icon_frown.gif We had a penalty claim turned down and missed a number of chances afterwards, but we were very comfortable today, and maybe, with 4 in 2 games, Brognoli's back icon_biggrin.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Gascoigne, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Other good things of note: Anders Nielsen came through the game unscathed, as he completed his first 90 minutes in almost a year. He saus he feels great at the moment, no reactions at all. And again, Santi amazes me with the way he can play so well so often - another 9 rating icon_cool.gif

With 12 games left we are in 10th place, quite a nice position - a bit too far from the playoff promotion zone, but with a 7 point cushion over the teams in the relegation playoffs. Consistency should see us comfortably safe icon_smile.gif

March kicks off with a home game against Carrarese, in the relegation dogfight themselves. After a fine win last time we stay unchanged.

Varese 3

Sergio Paez 6, 88

Brognoli 9

Brognoli sent off 63

Carrarese 0

The strikeforce looked lethal and sharp today, which was bound to happen - the more they play together, the better they'll get. 6 minutes was enough for Paez to find the back of the net with a header, and barely 180 seconds later Brognoli signalled his intentions with a run and shot off the outside of the right foot into the top corner to put us right in the ascendancy icon_smile.gif Half an hour later Paez had a header disallowed for a marginal offside decision, but we were still well in control. The sour note arrived as Brognoli was sent off for a push on Ferreri - not much wrong with anything from what I saw, but I will appeal, as he's in great form and to lose him would be a blow. Sergio Paez wrapped up a good day with another goal, this time with the right foot, as we've finally discovered how to score icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali, Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Gascoigne, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

Paez steals the plaudits, but a 5th consecutive 9 rating for Santi is quite magnificent icon_smile.gif

Two pieces of news; firstly Brognoli's 1 match ban will stand, and he'l miss the trip to Livorno.

Secondly, I agree the transfer of Lucas Maximillian Cantoro, to go through in July. £26,000 is a bargain for a player who's scored 56 goals in 32 games for Poggibonsi so far this season. Hopefully the club will let me have the cash to complete the deal icon_smile.gif Unfortunately, Anastasios Skalidis has agreed a move to Ionikos icon_frown.gif

• Administrators

Livorno are directly below us in the table, but too far back to leapfrog us today. Still, I'd like to maintain the gap we have. Cordaro is Brognoli's replacement.

Livorno 2

Saverino 19

Danilevicius 45

Varese 2

Plaquet 63

Sergio Paez 81

Bandirali injured 41

We showed some real determination today, as we managed to preserve some good form by avoiding defeat. As usual, when my first choice XI is disrupted, we struggle, and Davide Saverino slid home at the back post to convert his chance for 1-0. On the stroke of half time we lost Bandirali to injury, and went further down as Lithuanian Tomas Danilevicius volleyed past Dei to make it 2. Jesus was brought on at half time, but it was Gascoigne who got us going, supplying a ball for Plaquet to hook past the keeper to get something back. Late on, Sergio Paez showed he's starting to learn how to score, sidefooting home his 5th of the season and 3rd in 2 games to take an unlikely but deserved point away from the Armando Picchi.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Bandirali (D'Amato 41), Loria, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Gascoigne, Plaquet, Sergio Paez, Cordaro (Jesus 45)

Bandirali's foot injury means he may miss 3 weeks, including the next game against Spal.

The 3rd game in a week sees Spal, just on the coat-tails of the playoffs for promotion, come to town. Brognoli returns up front, and D'Amato is in for Bandirali.

Varese 2

Jesus 30

Sergio Paez 64

Brognoli injured 24

Fuoco injured 78

Spal 1

Pisani 67

We continued our stanglehold against the lot from Ferrara, as we notched up our 4th straight win against them. icon_smile.gif Another bright start was not productive enough, and the amount of games recently took it's toll, starting with Brognoli, forced off early on with what looked to be a very bad ankle injury icon_frown.gif Early reports suggested a month out. Still, Jesus got a rare chance to shine, and headed home the opener with only 6 minutes of action. It was his first goal since August. We looked for another, knowing the visitors had the potent threat of Aurelio to call upon. It nearly never came, but Sergio Paez scored his 4th in 3 games, another fine finish after Fuoco nearly got it himself. The goal was vital, as almost in immediate response Pisani pulled one back. But that was it for them, Jesus hit the bar, and Fuoco was also forced off injured, another foot injury, only a shorter rest period. More goals icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, D'Amato, Loria, Santi, Fuoco (Rinaldini 74), Nielsen, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Sergio Paez, Brognoli (Jesus 24)

The trip to Spezia is marred by injuries. Bandirali, Brognoli, Fuoco, and now Jesus all miss out due to some form of injury icon_frown.gif

Spezia 1

Mingazzini 59

Varese 0

Santi sent off 57

Loria injured 72

The crisis deepens. Not in terms of results, but 2 more names were added to the list headed 'absent'. The first half was fine in my opinion, we managed to hold out, and almost score a couple of times. The start of the 2nd period much the same. Bu then it went wrong. Santi, so good this season, was sent from the field for 2 yellows, rather harshly too. The change I made was a defensive one, and as we tried to re-shape, Mingazzini stole in for the winner icon_frown.gif Undeserved too, as we came close with a very weak team. Loria was also forced off injured, with a nasty gash on his leg, and he's out of the next match. The result isn't the end of the world because we are without some real quality players.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, D'Amato, Loria (Caddedu 72), Santi,Rinaldini, Nielsen, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Sergio Paez, McSporran (Ragatzu 57)

I can't appeal against Santi's ban as it's 2 yellows, and a 2 match ban for the total of cautions he's picked up.

Looking at my unavailable list, it reads thus;

Loria

Bandirali

Santi

Fuoco

Jesus

Brognoli

5 of my regular side, and a decent cover as well, all out, as we play Fermana next week, in a game that if we win, we may have a late chance to break for the playoffs. It all depends on how my backups play. Rinaldini, McSporran and co. do well enough, but not to the level Santi and Brognoli can.

• Administrators

The injury crisis means the visit from Fermana is going to be so much harder. Cadeddu, Ragatzu, Rinaldini all play, and Jesus makes it through the pain barrier.

Varese 0

Gorini injured 45

Sergio Paez injured 63

Fermana 1

Montoan 53

The crisis turned into a horror show, as we picked up 2 more injuries to make our squad resemble a hopsital list rather than a football team. We showed some mettle as wee almost scored through first Ragatzu, then Jesus, as the latter hit the inside of the post. Gorini had to come off injured at half time with a twisted knee icon_frown.gif then Fermana's Enrico Montoan stabbed in the winning goal, to shade the win, and maintain their good position. The injuries weren't over, as Paez was taken off with a bad cut on his leg. More injuries, more problems.

Team: Dei, Gorini© (Edwin 45), D'Amato, Caddedu, Rinaldini, Ragatzu, Nielsen, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Sergio Paez (McSporran 63), Jesus

Albinoleffe have a 4 point advantage over us going into the clash at the Carlo Martinelli. Some of the team are back, but we're still horribly weakened.

Albinoleffe 5

Del Prato 2

Araboni 5

Pellegris 12

Biava 37

Regonesi 79

Varese 1

Ragatzu 50

Pathetic icon_frown.gif We were 3 down inside 12 minutes, and Albinoleffe had another disallowed at 2-0 up. Del Prato opened the floodgates, and Araboni's header made the rout possible. 23 seconds later Colombo had a header ruled out, but Pellegris added the 3rd anyway. Biava tapped in the 4th, and we had lost already. I made a change at the break, and we played better, scoring through our first attempt - a Ragatzu header. But even then we couldn't score, Gascoigne came close, but Regonesi's first goal for his club completed a dismal day for us icon_frown.gif We haven't got the squad to go up yet, but with performances like today, we don't deserve to go up.

Team: Dei, Cadeddu (Edwin 45), D'Amato, Bandirali, Rinaldini, Fuoco, Nielsen©, Plaquet, Gascoigne, McSporran, Jesus (Ragatzu 45)

Reggiana are next, and again we're not at full strength, with a weakened defence and a totally different attack to the regular one.

Varese 0

Reggiana 0

De Vezze sent off 29

Not bad at all, considering we were thumped last time. A draw is good for me considering we're so stretched, and a clean sheet a nice bonus. I wonder how much that has to do with the return of Santi to hold the team together. He was MotM again with the passing and tackling that has served us so well this season. Very little action to talk about, the best opportunity fell to Gascoigne shortly after half time. We had a couple of half hearted penalty appeals turned down at the end, and the visitors had De Vezze sent off for a push. Not the most inspiring of games, but we got a good point. icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Edwin, D'Amato, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen©, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu

Nezt Up: A tough visit to Treviso

• Administrators

Lets try to get to the end of the season... icon_smile.gif

Treviso can be considered top of the League, as Fiorentina have run away ahead of them. It won't be easy, but it helps that the first choice back 3 are re-united at last.

Treviso 2

Dundjerski 27

Lanzara 50

Varese 2

Nielsen 5

Gascoigne 35

The only gripe I have with the game is that twice we surrendered a lead. Early doors, the first attack of the game lead to Anders Nielsen running in unmarked at the back post to score his first goal since returning to action icon_smile.gif As expected, Treviso began to get on top, and the pressure told as former Atalanta winger Dundjerski crashed in a drive to level. But we got ahead again, as Gascoigne found the net from close range, as Plaquet's crosses were again dangerous. The final goal came early into the second half, as Lanzara volleyed in his 1st of the season at this late stage in the campaign. I would have taken a point with both hands if offered before kick off, and we took it, although Gascoigne could have scored again late on.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Jesus, Ragatzu

Gascoigne played injured, and now faces a 2 week lay off.

Things look like getting back to normal as 3rd placed Lucchese try to gain a playoff place. Gascoigne is replaced by Ragatzu, and Sergio Paez returns to lead the line.

Varese 2

Sergio Paez 21

Ragatzu 45

Lucchese 3

Carruezzo 28

Binho 41

Stefani 68

Once again we've lost a game that could have gone any one of 3 ways. We took the deserved lead as Paez marked his return with a right footed volley past Gazzoli. Soon enough though, Carruezzo headed in the equaliser off the crossbar, and another header, this one from Binho, gave them a lead. But Ragatzu can header as well, as he showed when he equalised in first half stoppage time. The 2nd half was forgettable, as Stefani's headed winner was the only action noteworthy. We showed today that we can live with the better sides with what's close to our strongest side, and if we can get everyone fit regularly we can do better than our current 10th place.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Plaquet, Ragatzu, Sergio Paez, Jesus

The last 3 games we have the three P's - Pisa, Pro Sesto, and Pistoiese.

Finally, Brognoli is able to return, as we visit Pisa, sitting on top of us in the table. My strongest team (minus Gazza) is now available.

Pisa 2

Capuano 23

Loria 85 og

Varese 1

Sergio Paez 26

Brognoli injured 43

We couldn't have lost in a more cruel fashion. Pisa dominated from start to finish, and scored first as Capuano blasted home past Dei. But we pegged back into it straight away, Paez scoring to continue his run of finding the onion bag icon_smile.gif The home side pushed on with unbelievable pressure, but we held on for so long, until late on, as Constantino's header hit Loria's head, and took the ball over Dei to hit us with a cruel defeat icon_frown.gif The only solice we can take is the fact that because of other results, we are now safe from any battle against relegation icon_smile.gif

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Plaquet, Ragatzu, Sergio Paez, Brognoli (Jesus 43)

Brognoli hurt his thigh but it's not a big problem. The press, however, have decided to criticise his lacklustre attitude and performances. I tell them to look at his form before his injury, then make a judgment. The cheek! icon_mad.gif

Pro Sesto have had a bad season, and they're already confined to the playoffs for relegation. We, however, have nothing to play for. Gascoigne can return in place of Ragatzu.

Varese 3

Jesus 31

Gascoigne 48

Santi 60

Pro Sesto 2

Colombo 50

Putelli 81

A quite good game to watch, this was. Just a shade under 20 degrees in April, both sides played some good football. We took the lead after half an hour as Gascoigne drove in a viscious cross that Jesus only had to guide past Aciallini. We held the lead until after half time, after which we doubled the advantage as Gascoigne clipped in from range, a shot that nearly blew the net off icon_biggrin.gif And we needed that, as Colombo found a way past Dei two minutes later to get Pro Sesto back in it. We needed a cushion to play more comfortably with, and we got it through the 16 year old sensation Santi's first goal in his career. A loose ball fell to him, he feigned to shoot first time, went around Gobba, and unleashed a shot that Aciallini never saw icon_smile.gif Roberto Putelli headed in another goal to make the last 10 minutes less comfortable, but we claimed our 11th win of the season, and one of the more satisfying ones too.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Nielsen, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Sergio Paez, Jesus

• Administrators

The last day of the season is greeted by glorius sunshine, 32 degrees in Northern Italy, as already condemned Pistoiese come to play. For the first time in a while, and maybe last, my strongest side is selected, as I tell the team to enjoy the game, but to make sure we win.

Varese 1

Sergio Paez 32

Pistoiese 0

The lack of pressure on us meant that we played freely and lucidly, and got rewards too. Sergio Paez had 5 shots - all in the first half, and got the goal his work deserved on the half hour, as he was found unmarked to beat the goalie. To be fair, the visitors attacked their fair share, but the defence, especially Loria, played very well. icon_smile.gif We didn't score again, but we didn't need to, as the win ended up comfortable.

Team: Dei, Gorini©, Loria, Bandirali, Santi, Fuoco, Plaquet, Gascoigne, Nielsen, Sergio Paez, Brognoli

And the Final Table

Italian Serie C1/A - Sunday 4th May 2003

2002/3 Table

1st C Fiorentina 34 15 2 0 39 5 10 1 6 34 23 78

2nd Pl Triestina 34 12 3 2 38 17 11 3 3 36 20 75

3rd Pl Treviso 34 14 2 1 33 13 7 5 5 25 23 70

4th Pl Lucchese 34 11 5 1 30 11 8 6 3 26 16 68

5th Pl Spezia 34 9 4 4 31 16 10 2 5 34 18 63

6th Fermana 34 8 5 4 25 20 6 6 5 21 22 53

7th Spal 34 6 7 4 22 21 6 6 5 28 26 49

8th Albinoleffe 34 8 2 7 34 26 5 4 8 25 31 45

9th VARESE 34 8 3 6 23 19 4 4 9 18 26 43

10th Pisa 34 6 4 7 20 26 6 3 8 21 26 43

11th Livorno 34 7 5 5 25 21 4 4 9 17 25 42

12th Reggiana 34 9 2 6 24 21 1 9 7 12 23 41

13th Cittadella 34 7 3 7 34 32 4 3 10 21 35 39

14th Pl Carrarese 34 4 8 5 26 26 4 1 12 20 38 33

15th Pl Pistoiese 34 7 1 9 25 24 2 2 13 13 36 30

16th Pl Alessandria 34 4 3 10 27 35 3 4 10 18 33 28

17th Pl Pro Sesto 34 7 2 8 22 31 1 1 15 15 47 27

18th R Cesena 34 2 4 11 21 37 5 1 11 17 31 26

</pre>

I think 9th place is a very impressive finish for us this season, after last season's relegation battle. We are absolutely in the middle of the table, and showed some real ability this season. The progression was good, and we can go on this summer and prepare for a real assault on promotion, if the money situation sorts itself. icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

We are in need of money, so I decide to take a look at our cumulative squad and judge who we don't need that is a) taking up too much space on the wage bill, and b) we can get decent return for. I decide the only real business to be made is to transfer list Lennart Lynge Larsen, who played all of my first season but none in the second.

Within a few hours I receive a bid from Kalmar FF of £140k icon_smile.gif Of course, payable over 6 months, but still, I accept the large sum. Larsen may want to move.

Chesterfield, Hull, and Orgryrte all bid for Larsen, £130k each, but all up front icon_smile.gif I accept them all and inform each other of each others interest, in the hope one will stump up more cash to get their man.

Later in the afternoon Larsen agrees terms with the Icelandic side Orgryte. £130k will be our shortly, a much needed windfall.

Lets take the annual look at how things finished in Europe....

Starting in Italy, and Lazio took the Serie A title convincingly, by 5 points after all was done. Nobody stood out as a star, but the teams unity and all round ability gave them their 3rd Scudetto. Milan took second place, ahead of 3rd placed Juventus, and Roma back in fourth. 3 of the 4 sides relegated were promoted this time last season, as Ascoli, Siena, and Palermo were all joined on the trip to Serie B by Piacenza. Going in the other direction to the promised land are Como, Napoli, Brescia and Venezia - 3 of the 4 were relegated last season. Oh how times change...

Spain once again saw Barcelona take the La Liga title after a great 2nd half to the season. Saviola and Kluivert led Van Gaal's assault on the title, and they won it very comfortably in the end, 8 clear of Atletico. Deportivo are one further back in 3rd, and Racing Santander stole ahead of Real Madrid into the last ECL spot. Valencia made an amazing recovery to avoid relegation at the expence of Recreativo, who slide along with Malaga and Alaves, two sides who, after fairytale years, hit reality with a bang. Salamanca, Levante, and Sevilla (just) make it up to La Liga, leaving Rayo ruing missed opportunities.

Liverpool took the English Premiership Crown by a solitary point from Arsene Wenger's Arsenal. Gillingham, top for so long, ended up down in 8th. The real surprise saw Newcastle relegated from the top flight after a decade there. They drop down with Birmingham and Crystal Palace, and to be replaced by Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, and finally Portsmouth, who clinched a playoff win over Wolves.

In France it was Lorient who clinched their first ever League Championship, by a huge margin of 7 points from runners up Rennes. Patrice Loko's 33 goals gave them the title that no-one expected them to last for. Marseille turned their fortunes around by steering into 3rd spot. Sochaux, Niort, and Metz went down, the latter only on goal difference from Nimes. Caen, Bastia, and Champions Cannes go up to the First Division.

Finally to Germany, and Hertha Berlin won their first Bundesliga crown for 72 years, despite crashing 3-0 at home to Werder Bremen on the last day, as it was Leverkusen's win at Bayern Munich that sent them into second and gave Hertha the title with a 1-0 win at Bochum. As expected, Hannover, Cottbus and Bochum all drop out of the top flight, and they'll be replaced by Koln, Frankfurt, and St.Pauli.

It's Annual Awards time, as those who've impressed in the last year are recognised;

FIFA World Player of the Year - Fabio Cannavaro (Inter)

World Footballer of the Year - Javier Saviola (Barcelona)

Italian Serie C1/A Manager of the Year - Alberto Zaccheroni (Fiorentina)

Serie A Player of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Young Player of the Year - Andrea Barzagli (Ascoli)

Serie A Defender of the Year - Walter Samuel (Roma)

Serie A Top Goalscorer - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan, 18 goals)

Serie A Italian Player of the Year - Roberto Muzzi (Parma)

Serie A Foreign Player of the Year - Andriy Shevchenko (Milan)

Serie B Player of the Year - Stephan Appiah (Brescia)

Serie B Top Goalscorer - Mario Frick (Ternana, 26 goals)

Serie C1/A Player of the Year - Mirco Gubellini (Triestina)

Serie C1/A Top Goalscorer - Mirco Gubellini (Triestina, 32 goals)

And...Christian Santi was voted into the Serie C1/A Team of the Season, which is a great feat for a 16 year old in his first season icon_smile.gif He deserves it too.

• Administrators

I'll give my annual review of the season. It was a far better campaign than last year, as we consolidated ourselves in mid table, found out a bit more about ourselves, and put ourselves into a decent position to challenge. Inconsistency was again the same old problem, but at times we showed that we are capable of grinding out a result, or snatching something we never deserved. We could have done with scoring a few more goals, but that can be worked on.

The defence was far better this season, as Dei, Bandirali, Gorini and Loria started to respond as a team. They'll hopefully be together next season too, allowing us a base to build on. The emergence of teenage sensation Christian Santi was the highlight of the season. For a 16 year old to average 8.00 over 30 games is brilliant, and he held the defence and midfield together in a far more compact and rigid form.

The midfieders also did more this season. The 12 assists from Laurent Plaquet on the left far exceeded my expectations icon_smile.gif and he chipped in with goals. Marco Fuoco, Paul Gascoigne and Mauro Ragatzu all performed beyond themselves at times, and when Anders Nielsen returned from a years layoff he slotted in perfectly icon_smile.gif The backup wasn't bad either, as Rinaldini again fulfilled his role.

Up front we were at times lightweight. Stefano Brognoli struck 10 goals, half his tally last year, but he did suffer badly from injury. Sergio Paez took time to acclimatise, and found his feet nearer the end, scoring with regularity. The backup - Jesus, Majella and co. all gave their best, and were rewarded at times.

A prosperous summer for the club and the squad may again see a third season of improvement, especially if we can continue in our current ways, and avoid injuries.

Next: The summer break icon_smile.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flipsix3:

Looing good Juni, hope you've got yourself settled in for the long haul icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've actually sidetracked the challenge, and gone with Varese for Serie A icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

seriously, everyone else who's picked a team in C1/A, I've only seen Varese battling against the drop, so I'm kinda happy :/ icon_smile.gif

Archived