*OFFICIAL* FMS 2006 Challenge #2 - We Were One Great by JackSouth

Peacemaker7

We Were Once Great

Database requirement- English League: League Two and Above

Stage 1- Return to Glory

The days of the yo-yo club are all but faded, and ex premiership clubs litter the championship and the leagues below. Man City have famously gone down two leagues only to come back up and under Stuart Pearce guidance nearly made into Europe.

Take a former Premiership club (Derby, Sheffield United, Coventry, Barnsley, Oldham, etc) back to the Holy ground and stay there for two seasons.

Note: If sacked during Stage 1 repeat with another club.

Stage 2- The Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow

Promotion to the Premiership is big for any club but especially to those who have not tasted it before. Teams like Barnsley, Wolves have tasted it only to go back down, Blackburn on the other hand won it and Wigan aren’t doing bad either.

Take a club who have not played in the premiership (Plymouth, Crewe, etc) to the top flight and qualify for Europe

Stage 3- From Massive to Just Big

Although the Premiership is the place to be some teams have been unable to recapture their former domestic glories. Their fans still wait and all at premium prices.

Take a Premiership side who has not won the League (Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, etc) and win the League, the league cup, the FA Cup and the charity shield, whilst staying in the Premiership

Note: If they have won the league during the game you may NOT manage them

Stage 4- The Best League, but not the best clubs?

The Premiership is without a doubt the best league in the world (Note: No, it isn't), so why aren’t we dominating the European Stage like we did back in the day. Liverpool proved that we can still do it.

Win either the UFEA Cup or the European Cup with any British Club.

Stage 5- Great Clubs, Crap Country

Brazil’s dominance is fading as is France. Greece surprise win the Euro Champs rocked the International scene to it foundation. But what of the countries that have gone so agonizing close but have nothing to show for it.

Take charge of a Country have not won the World Cup and take them to Glory in either competition

Stage 6-Practise those penalties for God’s sake

We gave them football, taught them the rules and then sat back as they kicked our bum all over the pitch. But Football has got to come home sometime. Hasn’t it?

Win The World Cup with England.

Bonus Stage- The First Great Team

The First Great Team was Preston North End first completing the double at the end of the 19th Century. Now there just Crap!

Return Preston North End to their past glory and Win the Double

Notes:

*A stage can only be counted as complete if you were managing the club at the start of the season (no club jumping in May!)

*If sacked at any time during Stages 1-5 just repeat with another club

*If a side has accomplished promotion/Won the League/won the World Cup during game play you may not take over them.

*Stages 3 and 4 may be done at the same time, with the same team but both must be completed before moving on to Stage 5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We Were Once Great

Database requirement- English League: League Two and Above

Stage 1- Return to Glory

The days of the yo-yo club are all but faded, and ex premiership clubs litter the championship and the leagues below. Man City have famously gone down two leagues only to come back up and under Stuart Pearce guidance nearly made into Europe.

Take a former Premiership club (Derby, Sheffield United, Coventry, Barnsley, Oldham, etc) back to the Holy ground and stay there for two seasons.

Note: If sacked during Stage 1 repeat with another club.

Stage 2- The Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow

Promotion to the Premiership is big for any club but especially to those who have not tasted it before. Teams like Barnsley, Wolves have tasted it only to go back down, Blackburn on the other hand won it and Wigan aren’t doing bad either.

Take a club who have not played in the premiership (Plymouth, Crewe, etc) to the top flight and qualify for Europe

Stage 3- From Massive to Just Big

Although the Premiership is the place to be some teams have been unable to recapture their former domestic glories. Their fans still wait and all at premium prices.

Take a Premiership side who has not won the League (Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, etc) and win the League, the league cup, the FA Cup and the charity shield, whilst staying in the Premiership

Note: If they have won the league during the game you may NOT manage them

Stage 4- The Best League, but not the best clubs?

The Premiership is without a doubt the best league in the world (Note: No, it isn't), so why aren’t we dominating the European Stage like we did back in the day. Liverpool proved that we can still do it.

Win either the UFEA Cup or the European Cup with any British Club.

Stage 5- Great Clubs, Crap Country

Brazil’s dominance is fading as is France. Greece surprise win the Euro Champs rocked the International scene to it foundation. But what of the countries that have gone so agonizing close but have nothing to show for it.

Take charge of a Country have not won the World Cup and take them to Glory in either competition

Stage 6-Practise those penalties for God’s sake

We gave them football, taught them the rules and then sat back as they kicked our bum all over the pitch. But Football has got to come home sometime. Hasn’t it?

Win The World Cup with England.

Bonus Stage- The First Great Team

The First Great Team was Preston North End first completing the double at the end of the 19th Century. Now there just Crap!

Return Preston North End to their past glory and Win the Double

Notes:

*A stage can only be counted as complete if you were managing the club at the start of the season (no club jumping in May!)

*If sacked at any time during Stages 1-5 just repeat with another club

*If a side has accomplished promotion/Won the League/won the World Cup during game play you may not take over them.

*Stages 3 and 4 may be done at the same time, with the same team but both must be completed before moving on to Stage 5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

This was my favourite challenge. I reckon that I'll have a go at it soon icon_biggrin.gif

Good job there Jack South icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine too icon_smile.gif

Although it pains me greatly to write about most of the teams eligible for this challenge, I've gone for the closest to home (ignoring the f*wls - you'd have to kidnap my family to get me to play as them on FM icon_mad.gif)

So I bring you: What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? NOW!

May it sail safely on the seas of FMS.

Good point, Nadessico.

As posted by mavericktango in the off topic thread:

For those of you wishing to do this challenge, there are 19 clubs which qualify for Stage one (or possibly 18)

Crystal Palace – relegated in 92/93, 97/98, 04/05

Notts Forest – relegated in 92/93, 96/97, 98/99

Sheffield United – relegated in 93/94

Oldham Athletic – relegated in 93/94

Swindon Town – relegated in 93/94

Norwich City – relegated in 94/95, 04/05

Leicester City – relegated – 94/95, 01/02, o3/04,

Ipswich Town – relegated in 94/95, o1/02

Queens Park Rangers – relegated in 95/96

Barnsley – relegated in 97/98

Watford - relegated in 99/00

Sheffield Wednesday – relegated in 99/00

Wimbledon - relegated in 99/00

Bradford City - relegated in 00/01

Coventry City – relegated in 00/01

Derby County - relegated in o1/02

Leeds United - relegated in o3/04

Wolverhampton - relegated in o3/04

Southampton – relegated in o4/05

2002/2003 is the only year that all three teams returned to stay in the premier league

Wimbledon – if anyone wanted to do the challenge with them, I suppose Jack South would have to rule if MK Dons or a editor swapped into EC (south) AFC Wimbledon would be acceptable. *Note: Jack has indicated that either of these options would be acceptable*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Would Sunderland qualify for Stage 1 as they were relegated in 03/04 I think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put the years each team was relegated because of the different editions of CM / FM that people are using. But we need a ruling of whether it is out of the premier in your version of CM/FM or out of the premier now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mavericktango:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Would Sunderland qualify for Stage 1 as they were relegated in 03/04 I think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put the years each team was relegated because of the different editions of CM / FM that people are using. But we need a ruling of whether it is out of the premier in your version of CM/FM or out of the premier now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, exactly. Jack - a decision please icon_wink.gif

If your version of Football manager/

Championship manager starts with Sunderland outside the top flight you may pick them for stage 1. But only if the version is after Sunderland have been relegated from the premiership.

So FM05-Yes

FM06-No

The only way you can play as sunderland is if they get relegated and you are sacked from your job.

The above goes for any other team you can think of that have yo yo between divison

God this decision lark tiring, but please don't be afraid to ask icon_smile.gif

As many poeple are now started this challenge i decided that it might be worthwhile keeping a log (at this time) of where everyone is with links

SO

Stage 1

Myself(obviously)(swindon)

Blast from the Past

Ell and Back (MK Dons)You might call me Crazy but we're all crazy

Mavericktango (unknown icon_confused.gif)You Rrrrrrr's

poyplemonkeys BarnsleyThe tale of a true Yorkshire pudding

Gricehead Sheffield UnitedWhat do we want? when do we want it! When do we want it NOW!

Nadessico Leeds UnitedBack to the future part XII

I'll try to update this as often as necessary, but to make my job easier can all new challenger please post a link on this thread

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nadessico:

hmmm i'm not sure if its good or bad that i'm the only person to get to the actual season matches so far :s </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true Gricehead is well into his first season with the Blades and going from strength to strength after a patchy start.

Myself on the other hand am only at the end of July as writing the start to my story as taken longer than i've spent playing so far. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack South:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nadessico:

hmmm i'm not sure if its good or bad that i'm the only person to get to the actual season matches so far :s </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true Gricehead is well into his first season with the Blades and going from strength to strength after a patchy start.

Myself on the other hand am only at the end of July as writing the start to my story as taken longer than i've spent playing so far. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. And we've just taken our first Premiership scalp \o/

Oh, and you might want to check the title of my story in the log, Jack, it's not quite right. Not that it really matters.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

Would Stoke City count as a valid team in this challenge. After all, they used to be in the old 1st division and caused me to support Liverpool when they lost 3-5 to the Reds at home. That was back in the early seventies though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing as Jack talks about Liverpool being one of the sides never to have won the leauge (18 times) I assume this is purely Premiership based, so Stoke wouldn't qualify.

Archived