[FM09] An Anfield Adventure, that started in a Geordie Nightmare

PaulHartman71

Team Started With:Newcastle United

Game Used : FM09

Version: 9.0.3

Edits: N/A

Leagues Loaded: England (BSS/N and above), France (National and above), Germany (Third Division and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Holland (Eredivisie only), N.Ireland (Second Division and above), Portugal (Liga Sagres only), Scotland (Third Division and above) and Spain (LIGA Adelante and above)

As you may have guessed, I have started my long and most probably highly un-successful managerial career at Newcastle United. This was a 'random' pick using the random club generator when making my profile. I was pleased with Newcastle, they've got a decent reputation, nice facilities and stadium, bit of cash and some crap players I can sell. I have no real aims or expectations for my short time at Newcastle, I only plan to stay for a season and then see what other jobs are available to me. I intend to spend this first season relaxing whilst establishing a bit of a reputation for myself, trying to keep Michael Owen fit, get Shola Ameobi to score at least one goal, getting Joey Barton out of the club at all costs and trying to keep Dennis Wise as far away from the club as humanly possible. This, is Newcastle United Football Club!

Original Squad

Goalkeepers - Steve Harper, Tim Krul & Ole Soderberg

Summary - With Shay Given having left for Manchester City in the summer, Newcastle's new 'number one' was naturally Steve Harper, who's been at Newcastle as a 'back-up' Goalkeeper for almost ten years. I intend to use him as my first choice keeper this season. Tim Krul and Ole Soderberg are not good enough for the team, and although I appreciate they could be good in the future, I'd much rather cash in on them and bring in a more experienced player to act as back-up or rotation to Steve Harper.

Defenders - Fabricio Coloccini, Sebastien Bassong, Cacapa, Steven Taylor, Ryan Taylor, Jose Enrique & Habib Beye

Summary - I'm fairly content with the defenders already at the club to be perfectly honest. None of the players stick out as being particularly crap, yet if offers were to come in I wouldn't turn them down as I could probably bring in a more versatile player, as well as someone with some more experience. Habib Beye is reportedly wanted by numerous other Premier League clubs, so he could well be one of the first players out of St James Park this summer if the right offer comes in.

Midfielders - Danny Guthrie, Jonas, Damien Duff, Ignacio Gonzalez, Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Nicky Butt & Geremi

Summary - Midfield is probably our worst area. There are a couple of good players who I intend to hang onto, but changes will definitely come to our midfield. Joey Barton is a definite sell, a disruptive player that will inevitably cause us no end of problems. Alan Smith will also be on his way out, an average player in my opinion that I have no real intention of involving in first team duties. Nicky Butt is another player that could go, he's pretty much past it in my opinion, whilst Geremi could also be leaving as he isn't really in my plans either.

Strikers - Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi, Xisco & Obafemi Martins

Summary - Another place that could do with improving. Michael Owen will definitely be staying, despite his injury proneness I received a lovely brochure from his agent, which I was very impressed with. I also doubt I'd be able to find a decent replacement for him, especially since if he's fit, he's quite lethal. Shola Ameobi will also be staying, mainly to annoy Geordie's, but also because it'd be quite good if he did score a couple. Xisco will also be staying, mainly because he's just got here and nobody would buy him, but he could also be decent rotation or back-up. However Martins will be going, he's got the potential to be good, but I'd rather cash in on him than become disappointed when he lets us all down by not scoring, unlike Ameobi who we all know is crap and don't expect to score, as well as the fact I wouldn't really be able to cash in on him.

-

I will be providing a few updates each season, most likely one every end of August, pre-January, end of January, end of season and then a pre-season one. These wont all be really long, but the end of August one will probably involve showing all the players I've signed, what I expect. Pre-January showing how we're doing, where I want to spend money in the transfer window. End of January showing who, if anyone that I've signed. End of season is well, obviously explaining the whole season, my plans for next season etc. Then the pre-season will be showing where I'm going next, if I'm staying at whatever club I'm at etc.

This will be intersting indeed!! Will Paul Hartman be the next Joe Kinnear or the next Kevin Keegan (Early Stint!) I feel in my opinion that Alan Smith can also be played as a striker or attacking midfielder.

End of August 2008 Update

So, the first transfer window of the season is now officially over and I can reveal to you all of the in's and out's. We'll start with the players that have left the club, saving arguably the best bit until last. The first player to leave the club was David Edgar, who left on a season-long loan to Dundee. Alan Smith joined Sunderland for the season on loan for 200K, however they can purchase him for something like 2M at anytime during the loan spell. Jonny Godsmark and Darren Lough left the club for 20K each, the former leaving for Blackpool, with the latter leaving for Dunfermline. Trouble maker Joey Barton was next to leave the club, German side Hoffenheim payed 2.5M for his 'services'. Nicky Butt and Habib Beye have both joined Fulham, the former joined on a season long loan for 90K, whilst the latter permanently left the club for 3M. Obafemi Martins completed a 5M switch for Blackburn, I probably could have got more, but I'm not that bothered. Geremi has also joined Fulham, he went for 2.5M. Ben Tozer was deemed not needed, and has left to play for Crewe, who payed 250K for him. Goalkeeper Tim Krul was the final player to leave the club, joining Villareal on a season long loan for 80K.

Now for the players that have joined the club. The first bit of business was to bring in experienced Villareal Goalkeeper Sebastian Viera for just 825K, the Uruguayan will probably be my first choice ahead of Steve Harper. Fernando Llorente was the second player to join the club, the Spanish striker arriving from Athletic for 3.8M. Experienced ex-Arsenal player Freddie Ljungberg joined us from Seattle, costing us just 2M. Petri Pasanen then joined us from Werder Bremen, the versatile defender cost us a total of 4.3M, a decent price for him. Mark Wilson was another defender joining us, he cost us a fee of 2.1M from Scottish side Celtic. My final transfer was the most expensive one, at 5M I made a massive statement by signing none other than David Beckham. Will he and Owen re-launch their career's and become key players in the English National side, or will they have to hope for freebie transfer to Man United next summer when the Toon are relegated?

Transfer in and outs

Hmmm, a few risky transfers there in Beckham and Ljungberg totalling £7m. Let's hope they can reproduce some of their form when they were in the prime of their career and get the Toon up the league! Excellent read so far :thup:

Bit Off Topic here but do Newcastle do well premier league 1st season as AI manager? they are 5th on my game and i've seen another in 4th! If this is anything to go by. Your looking to have a good season!

Bit Off Topic here but do Newcastle do well premier league 1st season as AI manager? they are 5th on my game and i've seen another in 4th! If this is anything to go by. Your looking to have a good season!

You'll find out in the next weeks;)

Some good transfers there and hopefully the more matured lads put in some decent performances for you.:thup:

Archived