Wanting to address violent behaviour - but I can't!

One of my players lashed out and kicked an opponent when the ball was out of bounds. The offender only received a yellow card and I promptly pulled him off, fearing further incidents. Afterwards I wanted to make a point by disciplining him but the game doesn't give me the option. Now, if he'd (deservedly) received a red I would have been able to make it clear that his actions were unacceptable. However, as he only received a yellow I cannot do anything. The FA remain silent. It's all water under the bridge.

I should be able to punish him - and severely, too. Why are these incidents included if managers are stripped of any sort of authority that might serve to counter future episodes? I think it sets a bad precedent. Crime shouldn't pay.

My plead to SI is to give the manager the proper tools to handle these hopeless incidents.

One of my players lashed out and kicked an opponent when the ball was out of bounds. The offender only received a yellow card and I promptly pulled him off, fearing further incidents. Afterwards I wanted to make a point by disciplining him but the game doesn't give me the option. Now, if he'd (deservedly) received a red I would have been able to make it clear that his actions were unacceptable. However, as he only received a yellow I cannot do anything. The FA remain silent. It's all water under the bridge.

I should be able to punish him - and severely, too. Why are these incidents included if managers are stripped of any sort of authority that might serve to counter future episodes? I think it sets a bad precedent. Crime shouldn't pay.

My plead to SI is to give the manager the proper tools to handle these hopeless incidents.

Good point, I feel that my hands are tied with the new disciplinary system. I also find it frustrating when you can't issue a warning to a player you have on loan.

To be honest, I'd love to see SI attempt to overhaul the way you communicate with players. Disciplining a player is one of the very few ways in which you actually get to communicate with a player directly, and I definitely agree with the OP that you should have more freedom to take issue with a player when he has done something you disapprove of but not received a red card for it.

But as well as this, overall player interaction needs to make it much easier to communicate directly with your players. As things stand, you have to do almost everything through the media. I'm fairly sure that Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Cristiano Ronaldo to his face tonnes of times this season, and not solely through the media, for example. But we can't do that. We would have to go to the media. Similarly, when a player has a concern, we have absolutely no way of communicating with him about it.

I just think it would improve the game even more if there was a focus on implementing a greater ability to engage in direct interaction with your players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

To be honest, I'd love to see SI attempt to overhaul the way you communicate with players. Disciplining a player is one of the very few ways in which you actually get to communicate with a player directly, and I definitely agree with the OP that you should have more freedom to take issue with a player when he has done something you disapprove of but not received a red card for it.

But as well as this, overall player interaction needs to make it much easier to communicate directly with your players. As things stand, you have to do almost everything through the media. I'm fairly sure that Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Cristiano Ronaldo to his face tonnes of times this season, and not solely through the media, for example. But we can't do that. We would have to go to the media. Similarly, when a player has a concern, we have absolutely no way of communicating with him about it.

I just think it would improve the game even more if there was a focus on implementing a greater ability to engage in direct interaction with your players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. The way you communicate with players has been highly unrealistic for a long time now, and they made it worse by limiting the times you can discipline a player. It is necessary to vastly improve communication with not only players, but the board for FM2009.

Mike makes some good points. It would be exceedingly nice to get to know your players better. I fully agree that direct communication would seem more natural. Informing players of their performance is problematic at best. I hate the fact you can't address poor performances until 5 matches into the season. Players can under-perform all they want and you can't voice your discontent! Likewise, players must feature in consecutive matches for praise or criticism to be dished out. Potentially it means that you have to reselect an under-performing player just to get the chance to convey your displeasure with him. It doesn't make sense.

Archived