Is It Time For "voice' commentary?

The only thing I miss in FM is the announcer of the stadium. Just a plain:

"One-nil to Manchester United, scored by Wayne Rooney!"

Followed by some cheering and chanting of the crowd. That would add to the realism as managers do hear the announcers obviously.

Another thing I miss in FM are the songs from the crowd. I would get goosebumps if I would here "You'll Never Walk Alone" as if sang by the Kop while playing at Anfield. Or "Glory Glory Man United" while playing at Old Trafford for that matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schotsmannetje:

The only thing I miss in FM is the announcer of the stadium. Just a plain:

"One-nil to Manchester United, scored by Wayne Rooney!"

Followed by some cheering and chanting of the crowd. That would add to the realism as managers do hear the announcers obviously.

Another thing I miss in FM are the songs from the crowd. I would get goosebumps if I would here "You'll Never Walk Alone" as if sang by the Kop while playing at Anfield. Or "Glory Glory Man United" while playing at Old Trafford for that matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree, skip commentary and have more fan chants, like liverpool's you'll never walk alone. Or my favourite team that sings "Ã… vi e AIK" when the players enter the pitch.

(Ã… vi e aik)

Not so sure about the announcer though, like the commentary it would get rather repetive after some games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tottenham2k7:

i dont do it now...

but when i was a bit younger i used to make my own commentry up as i played (sad maybe?) but i believed it was a big part of the fun of playing icon_wink.gif

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

and pretend your john motson icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still do this....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tottenham2k7:

i dont do it now...

but when i was a bit younger i used to make my own commentry up as i played (sad maybe?) but i believed it was a big part of the fun of playing icon_wink.gif

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

I still do this.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I give exclusive 'post-match interviews' and 'season commentaries' to the mirror in the kitchen when I slip downstairs from the study to get a drink or have a smoke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

i dont do it now...

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

I give exclusive 'post-match interviews' and 'season commentaries' to the mirror in the kitchen when I slip downstairs from the study to get a drink or have a smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif Classic.

I do the odd interview with myself now and then, but usually during browsing the forums.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 442to445:

i dont do it now...

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

I give exclusive 'post-match interviews' and 'season commentaries' to the mirror in the kitchen when I slip downstairs from the study to get a drink or have a smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do the odd interview with myself now and then, but usually during browsing the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sad thing is, I wish I was joking! :thud:

A couple of years ago when I had to have some surgery and I get nervous about anaesthetics, I was put under pondering the advantages of 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3 and I remember the first words I spoke after coming round were 'defensive fullbacks!'

My two month old niece often gets tactical lectures when I'm babysitting her. Earlier tonight when her parents were out at a Chinese meal and I had the pleasure of her company we were 'discussing' whether Torres would thrive better in my game if I gave him a target man upfront rather than a small Croatian playmaker seeing as teams are now sitting very deep and reluctant to be drawn out.

She provided some good advice 22 goals in 18 games can't be wrong.

i dont do it now...

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

I do the odd interview with myself now and then, but usually during browsing the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple of years ago when I had to have some surgery and I get nervous about anaesthetics, I was put under pondering the advantages of 4-4-2 vs 4-3-3 and I remember the first words I spoke after coming round were 'defensive fullbacks!'

My two month old niece often gets tactical lectures when I'm babysitting her. Earlier tonight when her parents were out at a Chinese meal and I had the pleasure of her company we were 'discussing' whether Torres would thrive better in my game if I gave him a target man upfront rather than a small Croatian playmaker seeing as teams are now sitting very deep and reluctant to be drawn out.

She provided some good advice 22 goals in 18 games can't be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

i dont do it now...

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

She provided some good advice 22 goals in 18 games can't be wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah...totally with you all on this one, sad as it may be. i spent my entire car journey to seven a side the other night talking to football focus about my surprisingly successful first 10 games in charge of newcastle...

Like some others I can admit that I give my own commentary, I don't do it every match, or set up my own little microphone but just when I'm bored.

I think it would be a nice feature, but if you could turn it off on the preferences screen as it dose get rather repetetive.

i dont do it now...

so sit back

get fat

wear a big wooly hat

classic. no. disturbing. yes icon_biggrin.gif

i like the 'exclusive' part of the post match interview too icon_smile.gif

i make my own commentary up because the words get repetitive and it's just easier to cycle whats happening and the actual words commentary in my head and expand on it.

I would also like to add, I play with the match engine sounds off, usually because I'm listening to music or have the TV on in the background.

Suffice to say though, no match engine sounds could ever compare to me 'Ooooooh!'-ing and 'Ahhh-ing!' when the team goes close - or the sheer amount of swearing that goes on when we go behind or just can't break a team down.

Personally, I disapprove of the 'new-fangled' voice tech.

Being of the 'old-skool' (read: just old) I grew up actually having to be able to read correct English and I dislike voice acting as I find it stilted and usually very poor. CM2 was blinding but the commentary got very tiresome very, very quickly and was probably the least attractive and most unnecessary feature.

Personally, I edit my own commentary files - I have been doing since CM2, to give them greater variation and make them feel far more personalisation and like something I would expect to hear during a game either on the radio or TV.

The one thing I would like to have would be a 'co-commentator' a la Lauro for example so you get a bit of a tactical overlay and feedback if a player is really exposing the opposition. True, you wouldn't get the banter, but it would offer a bit more of an insight and drag FM a tad closer to realism than 'listening' to what seems to be a monologue.

But anyway, if you have an imagination and a pair of eyes(and use the 2D engine) the current commentary is perfect for the job it does and anything else would be unnecessary fluff to pander to people who like gimmicks. And like most gimmicks it would be very superficial, very pointless and very tedious and unnecessary.

Archived