If you receive an error message stating that ‘Steam is already’ running, open up your Task Manager and check if a process of FM is already open. If there is, click on it and select [End Task] to close it. If there are multiple instances of Football Manager 2020 being open, please close them all. Once this is done, try re-launching the game.
If you still continue to have problems, please read the troubleshooting techniques below to resolve the issue.
First of all, please see this 'Steam is already running' topic for instructions - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8787-wyil-1543
Sometimes, if you launch the game too quickly after shutting it down, or get impatient after double-clicking the shortcut, you can get this when your system senses the game is running in two instances. If this is the case, do the following:
- Right-click on your Windows Taskbar (normally found at the bottom)
- Click on 'Task Manager'
- Go to the tab 'Processes'
- Sort alphabetically by clicking 'Image Name'
- Find fm.exe or any app
- Click so it's selected, then click the 'End Process' button in the bottom-right hand corner
- Do this for any fm.exe instance or any Football Manager 2020 app
- Once this is done, close the Taskbar and launch the game normally - be patient when it attempts to load