Sports Interactive Community
  • PC

33 questions in this category

1. I’ve encountered a crash dump on launching the game

(This FAQ entry is for users on PC. If you're on a Mac, please read THIS FAQ Entry instead for assistance) If you receive a crash dump on game launch, please bear in mind a crash dump is the generic response for any type of crash – deleting the crash dump file will not help. There are a few troubleshooting techniques we suggest you undertake in order to get the game running. Normally a crash dump on game start is related to a system or conflicting error, so we suggest the following steps t
    2. When I try to launch the game, nothing happens

(This FAQ entry is for users on PC. If you're on a Mac, please read THIS FAQ Entry instead for assistance) If you receive a crash dump on game launch, please bear in mind a crash dump is the generic response for any type of crash – deleting the crash dump file will not help. There are a few troubleshooting techniques we suggest you undertake in order to get the game running. Normally a crash dump on game start is related to a system or conflicting error, so we suggest the following steps t
    3. The game is stuck on the loading screen

If you launch the game and find it’s stuck on the loading screen, there are a few troubleshooting steps we suggest undertaking in order to get it to work. First of all, remove any Workshop files like custom graphics and logos you may have added in preparation of launching the game. This can occasionally interfere or slowdown the game when launching. Once you’ve done this, we would suggest deleting your cache and preferences, then reverifying the game cache via Steam. Details on how to do t
    4. I’m encountering a Steam error message when launching the game

If you receive any kind of Steam error message when first starting the game (such as certain Error numbers) there are a few troubleshooting steps we suggest undertaking in order to get it to work. - Make sure your Graphics Card drivers and installed and fully up to date - If running on a laptop with dual graphics cards, make sure they are configured for the correct card to run with FM - Make sure your Anti-Virus isn’t interfering with Steam or FM as this can cause problems when instal
    5. I’ve encountered a crash dump message whilst processing the game

If you’ve encountered a crash dump whilst continuing or the game processing whilst playing Football Manager 2017 please bear in mind a crash dump is the generic response for any type of crash – deleting the crash dump file will not help. Instead please try the following troubleshooting techniques in order to try and resolve the issue. Delete Cache Delete Preference Reverify Cache Once you’ve done this, re-launch the game and try again.  If it still crashes at exactly the same point, ple
    6. I’ve encountered a crash dump message at random points within the game

If you encounter crashes happening seemingly at random whilst playing Football Manager 2017 please bear in mind a crash dump is the generic response for any type of crash – deleting the crash dump file will not help. Instead please try the following troubleshooting techniques in order to try and resolve the issue. First of all, if you're running any custom graphics/logos/skins or any other add-ons, try removing them for the time-being and see if you encounter the same issue. If it no longer
    7. I’ve encountered a crash dump clicking on something in-game

If you’ve encountered a crash dump whilst clicking a particular screen or link whilst playing Football Manager 2017 please bear in mind a crash dump is the generic response for any type of crash – deleting the crash dump file will not help. Instead please try the following troubleshooting techniques in order to try and resolve the issue. First remove any custom graphics logos/skins etc from your Graphics folder so they no longer appear in game Delete Cache Delete Preference Reverify Cache
    8. I’ve encountered a message stating the game has run out of memory

If you receive an error message stating the game has run out of memory whilst the game is loading, it may mean you save file is corrupted, please read here in regards to Save Games no longer loading If you receive an out of memory message at any point of the game, please follow the troubleshooting steps listed below: - First of all, if you’re running any custom graphics, logos, skins or other add-ons, please remove these for the time-being.  - Delete Cache - Delete Preference - Re
    9. I’ve encountered a message stating Football Manager has stopped responding

If you’ve encountered a Football Manager has stopped responding message whilst playing Football Manager 2017 please try the following troubleshooting techniques in order to try and resolve the issue. Delete Cache Delete Preference Reverify Cache If this still hasn’t resolved the issue, it may well be a conflicting issue with your Anti-virus How to Configure your Anti-Virus to have no problems with FM Once you’ve done this, re-launch the game and try again.  If it still crashes at ex
    10. My game has frozen and won’t respond or Shuts my system down entirely

If the game becomes frozen during playing Football Manager 2017 try the following troubleshooting techniques in order to try and resolve the issue. Delete Cache Delete Preference Reverify Cache Uninstall the game reinstall.  Once you’ve done this, re-launch the game and try again.  If this still hasn’t resolved the issue or you find your system is shutting down when FM is open, it could well be an overheating issue, especially if the problem occurred whilst playing a 3D match. To det
    11. You receive a "Warning: failed to find a default database to use. Please make sure your installation is not corrupt"

Go to the following location - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017 On Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 - When you have the FM.exe right-clicking on the shortcut link and go to 'properties'.  - Within that screen select the 'compatibility' tab and select compatibility mode by selecting the checkbox.  - Select the system you’re running on to (i.e. on Windows 7 select Windows 7).  On Windows 10 If you’re on Windows 10, right click on the FM shortcut link
    12. I’ve received a ‘Unable to find Essential Data’ message

If you experience this message when attempting to start the game, configure the compatibility mode for Steam using these steps: On Windows Vista, 7 and 8.1 - Close Steam - Right click on Steam shortcut - Click "Properties" - Choose the "Compatibility" tab - Uncheck the box "Run in Compatibility mode for" - Click on "OK" and then start Steam using the same shortcut - You can now try the game On Windows 10 - Close Steam - Right click on Steam shortcut - Select ‘Troubleshoot
    13. I’ve just upgraded to Windows 10 and the game no longer works

Problems with Launching the game: First of all manually uninstall anything Graphics Card related (Intel, nVidia and AMD) using Windows Control Panel -> Program and Features. Once uninstalled, restart your system then install the latest drivers, making sure the latest version was successfully installed. These drivers can be found via the Graphics Card Drivers website: Intel – https://downloadcenter.intel.com Nvidia – http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us AMD - http:
    14. When attempting to install the game, receive error message 'An error has occurred while installing Football Manager 17 (missing app configuration)'

If you’ve encountered a message which states ‘An error has occurred while installing Football Manager 17 (missing app configuration)' when attempting to install Football Manager 2017, please shut down Steam and delete this file located at the following location: C:\Program Files\Steam\appcache\appinfo.vdf Once you’ve completed this, launch Steam and attempt to reinstall and run the game.  
    15. User receives ‘Game Unavailable Message’ or game has updated and no longer launches

This is most likely due to the game encountering an incomplete install or update. To combat this, please verify your Steam cache. This can be done by following the instructions below: Verify Game Cache: - Load Steam - From the 'Library' section, right-click on the game and select 'Properties' from the menu. - Select the 'Local Files' tab and click the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' button. - Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes. This will al
    16. I receive a ‘Steam’ or ‘Football Manager is already running’ message

If you receive an error message stating that ‘Steam is already’ running, open up your Task Manager and check if a process of FM is already open. If there is, click on it and select [End Task] to close it. If there are multiple instances of Football Manager 2017 being open, please close them all. Once this is done, try re-launching the game. If you still continue to have problems, please read the troubleshooting techniques below to resolve the issue. First of all, please see this 'Steam i
    17. My save game no longer loads

If your system shut down or crashed mid-save then the file will be corrupted and cannot be fixed.  Likewise if you game has been force closed for any reason there is a chance of save game corruption.  The only opportunity to get the save back is to try and use Windows ‘Restore Previous Versions’ function. This will not always be on by default so may only work for some users. To use this functionality, first go into your 'Documents' folder. Within there should be a Sports Interactive Fol
    18. You get a DEP or Data Execution Prevention error message

- Go to ‘Start’ > ‘Control Panel’ > ‘System’ > ‘Advanced’ > ‘Performance’ > ‘Data Execution Prevention’. - Select ‘Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select’. - Select ‘Add’, navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam (or your default Steam directory), and add Steam.exe to the exception list. Additionally, you will need to add the FM.exe using the same process as above The FM.exe file can be located here by default - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\
    19. The screen appears unusual when starting the game and/or I’m unable to click any buttons within the game

If you start the game and find you’re having issues being able to click buttons, please try the following troubleshooting techniques to resolve the problem: Delete Cache Delete Preference Reverify Cache If this still does not resolve the issue, please try changing the game from GPU Rendering Mode to Software Rendering mode.  You can change this when first launching the game on the splash screens by pressing and briefly holding: ALT + SHIFT + F10 all at the same time. If you’re sti
    20. The game appears slow when I’m clicking between screens

If your game appears to be running slowly, we suggest the following troubleshooting techniques listed below: First remove any custom logos/graphics/skins etc to see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't, try the following below in the order listed:-  - Delete Cache - Delete Preference - Reverify Cache - Make sure your Anti-Virus isn’t interfering with Steam or FM as this can cause problems with the speed of the game If after doing the troubleshooting listed above you’re stil
    21. I'm warned that the fm.exe contains a virus or unwanted program 

If you receive a message on game launch that ‘fm.exe contains a virus’, this is a false-positive by the anti-virus program and can be ignored. You may want to update your virus definition software which may help, but until the anti-virus software developers update their software you may encounter this message. There is no virus contained within the FM.exe. If you are unable to launch the game because of this message, go into your Anti-Virus program and add the FM.exe to your exceptions. If
    22. The game not launching on systems with unsupported resolutions such as Netbooks

Bear in mind if you are running on a resolution which is under the minimum resolution of Football Manager 2017 you are not officially supported and the game was not tested under these conditions. For example, if you are using a Netbook, the minimum resolution requirements for FM2017 (1024 x 768) will not be met, as the screen resolution of your computer is 1024 x 600. You can boot the game (avoiding the 'game is already running message') by following these steps: - Open Steam and access
    23. I’m trying to save to the cloud, but there’s no option to do so within the game?

- Make sure that Steam is connected and running Online, and not in Offline mode. - Click on ‘Steam’ from the header and select ‘Settings’ - From the ‘Cloud’ tab make sure ‘Enable SteamCloud synchronization for application which support it’ is ticked This should now allow you to save to Cloud.
    24. I receive an XML Error on Game Launch.docx

If you receive an XML error message upon launching the game, we would suggest completing the following troubleshooting steps: First of all, make sure the game is closed before you proceed. For Windows Vista and Windows 7: - Click ‘Start’ - Select ‘Computer’ - From the header, select ‘Organize’ dropdown - Select ‘Folder and Search Options’ - Within here, select the ‘View’ tab and make sure ‘Show Hidden Files and Folders’ is selected - Navigate to C:\Users\[Your Windows Username]\A
    25. Game Freezes or Goes into Black Screen on Launch

If you find your game freezes indefinitely or is stuck on a black screen on launch, please do the following: - Go to the following location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017 - Right-Click on the FM.exe  -  Click 'Run as Administrator' If that doesn't help, move onto the steps below: If you're running a Nvidia graphics card, try turning off the GeForce Experience in-game overlay as shown here - http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_i
    Sign in to follow this