• Retina Display Overheat on Mac

JamieLavery
    • Public Status: Info Provided Files Uploaded: None

Im playing on Mac. Each year I turn off Retina display to stop the over heating & constant fan while I play. However, this year the ability to "Open in low resolution" mode through library/applicationsupport/steam/steamapp/common/footballmanager then pressing get info on the icon. Get info doesnt give the "Open in low resolution." 

It doesnt seem to be moved into the game either. Any ideas?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

I've hidden the second image just because there is what appears to be a personal picture visible plus some other info. QA can still see it should they need it however. 

Is FM causing this overheating issue with the display given that you've loaded it up and haven't been able to disable it as in the past?

Yes. With past FM versions the same issue existed, but turning off retina display which changed to the out of game, open in low resolution always fixed it. Now there doesn't appear to be a way to do either. 

• Administrators
    52 minutes ago, JamieLavery said:

Yes. With past FM versions the same issue existed, but turning off retina display which changed to the out of game, open in low resolution always fixed it. Now there doesn't appear to be a way to do either. 

Have you changed or upgraded OS since playing the past versions? 

What OS are you on now? And what Mac do you have?

Your system information file will help us get a better idea of your system: https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997195057553-How-to-find-my-system-DxDiag-system-information-for-Football-Manager-support-#text

There is one potential workaround you can use, which is to install RDM (Retina Display Monitor), which can put your screen resolution into a forced lower mode, like 1080p, but it does change everything on your desktop that way. 

You can get that utility here: https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM (See 'install binary package' at the bottom)

Even if you choose that option, if you can provide what info you can to what I asked above, that will help us looking into it and we can see what we can do. Thanks. 

Here a similar problem. The match goes in spurts no matter how low i set everything and which resolution i choose, if im running it 3d or 2d. it makes the game quite unplayable.

9 hours ago, Lucas said:

Have you changed or upgraded OS since playing the past versions? 

What OS are you on now? And what Mac do you have?

Your system information file will help us get a better idea of your system: https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997195057553-How-to-find-my-system-DxDiag-system-information-for-Football-Manager-support-#text

There is one potential workaround you can use, which is to install RDM (Retina Display Monitor), which can put your screen resolution into a forced lower mode, like 1080p, but it does change everything on your desktop that way. 

You can get that utility here: https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM (See 'install binary package' at the bottom)

Even if you choose that option, if you can provide what info you can to what I asked above, that will help us looking into it and we can see what we can do. Thanks. 

I was playing FM22 the day before with no issues on this system. I uninstalled it and then installed FM23. I always go to the retina stuff first because on every version there is an issue with the overheat & retina. But this is the first there isnt an option to turn it off.

It used to turned off from within the Game preferences. Then it changed to outside the game. Anyway to make it in game again?

I have attached the system details. 

Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 10.05.36.png

8 hours ago, menne said:

Here a similar problem. The match goes in spurts no matter how low i set everything and which resolution i choose, if im running it 3d or 2d. it makes the game quite unplayable.

Yes. I am used to that problem at the start, but always knew how to fix it. A bit stumped now. 

• Administrators
    47 minutes ago, JamieLavery said:

I was playing FM22 the day before with no issues on this system. I uninstalled it and then installed FM23. I always go to the retina stuff first because on every version there is an issue with the overheat & retina. But this is the first there isnt an option to turn it off.

In my last post I provided a interim workaround - The RDM tool - which you may find useful to run the game in lower resolution in another way, for now.

48 minutes ago, JamieLavery said:

It used to turned off from within the Game preferences. Then it changed to outside the game. Anyway to make it in game again?

We will investigate. I am not too familiar how the option on the Finder 'Info' works and why it would show for one program and not another, so please bear with me while we look into that.

Ive done a bit of digging and it might be that I installed FM22 on the old system and then upgrade later, so I didnt have the issues.

It seems apple have removed the retina display off option. There seems to a work around for other apps. But I dont understand coding enough. Would anyone at SI understanding coding enough to tell me how to do this on Mac for FM

For example in terminal type:

sudo nano /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/Info.plist

Then you can change the following key to false:

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>          <true/>

should now be

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>          <false/>

from this thread

• Administrators
    2 minutes ago, JamieLavery said:

Ive done a bit of digging and it might be that I installed FM22 on the old system and then upgrade later, so I didnt have the issues.

It seems apple have removed the retina display off option. There seems to a work around for other apps. But I dont understand coding enough. Would anyone at SI understanding coding enough to tell me how to do this on Mac for FM

For example in terminal type:

sudo nano /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/Info.plist

Then you can change the following key to false:

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>          <true/>

should now be

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>          <false/>

from this thread

Not at a Mac right now but if it is just a case of changing the plist then that's easy to try, but unfortunately, if you hack a plist file and do it wrong, then the program may not run at all. It's also not something we currently support.

But as I have said in the thread twice now, you can install a program that can put your screen into low resolution mode so you don't have to try this.

I would recommend that:

On 21/10/2022 at 00:08, Lucas said:

It's the .dmg that you want. Download it, run it, and the program will appear in the menubar at the top right of the screen. 

If your screen resolution is something like: 

3840x2160 (1920*1080 x2 for retina), then you can put your resolution down to actual 1920*1080

Best way to decide what resolution there works best for you is go to Displays on your Mac, and where you change resolution, take note of the text that says something like "Looks like 1280x800" or similar. 

You can use that to decide which resolution in RDM you should put your screen in.

You can then use RDM to change resolution without hacking individual plist files for every app that doesn't support low res mode.

• Administrators

No worries, that should work for you and help somewhat. I can appreciate it might make things look a little blurry though for other apps. Let me know if you get that to work OK. The main page I linked you to should show you some instructions on how to change resolution. 

Hope it helps :)