• [23.2.2] Defensive movement and decisions

Sunstrikuuu
    • Public Status: Known Issue Files Uploaded: None

14:49 -- Where the HELL is the left back Robinson going?  

23:38 -- How is my defense going from here:

image.png.ee67e55a103d39e5c6d4b8a2875772ce.png

to here: 

image.png.0f00cbdf9e52457458c5cc727156155e.png

Why in the world is the centerback just not sprinting back?  How is a 70 CA midfielder playing a curled outside-of-the-boot chipped through ball on the move through two defenders?  

67:00 -- Why THE [FORK] is my centerback trying to close down THEIR centerback 45 yards away?  Why does it take my defensive midfielder two seconds and 20 feet of separation to turn around and start running?

71:23 -- WHY IS THE RIGHT-BACK TRYING TO SLIDE-TACKLE A BALL TO HIS FEET JUST [FORKING] KICK IT

73:33 -- Why is Paylor moving infield and not tracking his man?    Why does the goalkeeper just run out with his arms at his sides?  He doesn't even try to save the shot!

91:49 -- WEHAT THE ACUTAL HELL IS PAYLOR DOING HE DUCKS UNDER A WAIST-HIGH CROSS

I'm sorry, guys, but when people complain that your game is scripted, this kind of stuff is what they're talking about.  Why in the hell is a 6'3 central defender bending down to head a ball at his knees when it's going to hit him in the chest?  Why is a left back running 15 yards upfield when his team doesn't have the ball?  This crap is unplayable!  There's nothing I can do to fix this tactically!  There's no 'please don't slide-tackle a ball that's played straight to your feet in the penalty area' button I can press tactically! 

Somehow my goalkeeper, who has conceded seven goals from 2.5 xG, has a 6.3 rating.  James Paylor, who is in four of those ejaculations above, has a 6.6 rating despite a yellow card and being the captain of a defense that just conceded seven goals.  He attempted one tackle and was unsuccessful!  But also he has a key tackle.  What your statistical output is telling me doesn't match what I'm seeing on the pitch at all.  It's a complete waste of time.

this game sucks.pkm

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

34:30 -- How are we going from the first screenshot to the second one?  What do I have to do to make my players actually run?

image.png.966eccd3b50987ba56cb310fd91ba2ca.png

image.png.8fc9ec8cc1c732052a25a27b3d2f3f81.png

That's four players who look like they're trying to close down the guy with the ball, and one who's literally just stood still for five seconds, while three players waltz through the middle of the pitch.  And the one defender who's back?  When the cross comes in, he gets out of the way.

Vauxhall Motors v Whitchurch Alport.pkm

62:17 -- We have a long pass from back to front.  For some reason the left centerback cross-matches with the left attacker, leaving the right of the two attackers with a free run.  When the attacker wins the header, flicking it on to the left channel, the right centerback takes like three steps to the right, putting himself out of position and further opening the channel.  And to add insult to injury, the left centerback jumps under the long pass, which is how the attacker wins it in the first place.  Yay.

66:02 -- No seriously what is going on, Wilson jumps to head this pass that is twelve feet over his head.  Then he doesn't try clearing the ball when it's loose.  

69:45 -- Both centerbacks are marking the attacker in the center, no one goes with the guy on the far post, and the right back, whose man it is, is jogging in midfield.  What do I have to do to make these players run?

Workington v Vauxhall Motors.pkm

27:11 -- Roscoe needs to drop back rather than watching the ball sail over his head.

56:46 -- Wilson is assigned to mark Garner.  There is an instruction to always press Garner.  Wilson is standing off Garner, sort of marking Grewal.  I don't understand how this defensive position develops:

image.png.b6c1aaae544826505eb76e21688d1358.png

That's my centerback closing down their right winger, who's super narrow for some reason.  My central midfielder (the blond guy in the top left corner) is standing still as his man makes a run.  My DLP (Kamara, the player at the top of the center circle) is also moving to close down the right winger for some reason.  That develops into this position:

image.png.e75788fcaeeaf15f6a0ce59bb0aa2b38.png

why how what who I don't understand what is happening!!!!!!  My centerback hasn't moved from his position in the center circle! 

85:33 -- hey speaking of which this is Paylor kicking Garner directly in the balls because he's tried to clear a ball with his foot which is over his head.  Do players in FM23 have binocular vision?  Can they perceive depth?

image.png.84fa33e7b4e9dc5cce858cd91480187d.png

This is also CD Roscoe standing in place as a ball goes over his head, letting someone run past him.  This is also an attacking move where a player with 7 First Touch and 6 Technique takes a ball down out of the air and juggles it twice before it touches the ground without breaking stride.  

86:12 -- This corner drags on as multiple players refuse to engage attackers who have the ball.

Workington v Vauxhall Motors -2.pkm