• Screen Scaling Issues

Some Guy!
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

When I launch the game, it appears stretched vertically, and the image on screen does not match what I can click. It's very apparent that where I can click, etc, is where it's meant to be, but the image of the screen is stretched. 

This appears to be a screen scaling issue, and I can resolve it by setting my screen scaling from 150% back to 100% in windows settings (Windows 10). This setting, however, allows my computer to be useable, and has never caused an issue with previous Football Manager games. 

Is there any way of fixing this. There does not seem to be any means to set scaling just for the game. Is there something I can do in game to fix this? 

• Steps To Reproduce:
      Open game on Windows 10 with 150% scaling set.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Administrators

We are looking into this. The game will respond to the system scaling settings you have set. 

Have you got multiple monitors connected at all with different scaling settings?

I only have one monitor connected, though it is actually a TV that I've repurposed. I had a second monitor connected a while back (about 1 year back at this point), but it's scaling and settings were identical. 

• Administrators

Just to check, have you tried reading and following the instructions from our FAQ here? - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409237815697-The-screen-appears-unusual-when-starting-the-game-and-or-I-m-unable-to-click-any-buttons-within-the-game

If that doesn't help, please do post a screenshot image of how the game looks for you and please confirm:

- The resolution you have the game set to in-game via the in-game preferences
    - Your System Resolution (you can see this here - https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Screen-Resolution

Thanks. 

Yes, I've done the works, cache cleared, preference deleted, verified, etc. screen.thumb.png.c4ff4039dbe62bd07986e017103157b0.png

I've attached a screenshot. You'll notice the bottom of the screen is cutoff, which while it doesn't obstruct the view of the majestic specimen of a manager there, it does remove above about a button's width along the bottom. I'm hovering over the clickable quit button with my mouse, which is about a button and a half above the actually quit button. 

In game is  Full Screen 1920 x 1080

System is 1920 x 1080

Using '-small_screen -windowed' does resolve the issue, much as turning off screen scaling does. 

Weirdly, setting the game to fullscreen 1920 x 1080 after starting using the small_screen windowed setting actually resolves the issue. It doesn't stay this way after restarting of course, even if I remove the setting there inbetween. I'm not sure if that helps, but it would seem to suggest that things are working there somewhere, but something weird is happening on game startup specifically. 

MoreScreen.thumb.png.238b573f61386004fad37d24f5836202.png

I've included a screen of the game changed to 1920 x 1080 after startup, as described above. 

• Administrators

When looking at your System Display settings (in Windows) what are the Zoom settings? Is it anything above 100%? May be worth lowering it and see if that helps.

Let us know. Thanks. 

Just now, Neil Brock said:

When looking at your System Display settings (in Windows) what are the Zoom settings? Is it anything above 100%? May be worth lowering it and see if that helps.

Let us know. Thanks. 

As noted in the original post, the setting is 150%, and the issue is resolved by setting it to 100%. Also as noted, this isn't really a fix, as my computer is made usable by this setting, and there isn't really a reasonable way to set it by application. 

It seems that this scaling does indeed lead to the problem, but it appears to be a game startup based issue, as starting it with those windowed settings, then going fullscreen resolves the issue. So it seems that everything works once going, it's just that the game can't do it from startup at this time. 

• Administrators
    1 hour ago, Some Guy! said:

As noted in the original post, the setting is 150%, and the issue is resolved by setting it to 100%. Also as noted, this isn't really a fix, as my computer is made usable by this setting, and there isn't really a reasonable way to set it by application. 

It seems that this scaling does indeed lead to the problem, but it appears to be a game startup based issue, as starting it with those windowed settings, then going fullscreen resolves the issue. So it seems that everything works once going, it's just that the game can't do it from startup at this time. 

Sorry, wasn't entirely clear whether you meant the zooming scale set within Windows or the zooming scale set within the game itself via the in-game preferences. Appreciate the info you've provided, it's an issue we've replicated internally and are investigating. 

7 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Sorry, wasn't entirely clear whether you meant the zooming scale set within Windows or the zooming scale set within the game itself via the in-game preferences. Appreciate the info you've provided, it's an issue we've replicated internally and are investigating. 

Cheers Neil. Good to hear it's been replicated. 

It's annoying, but looking at how it works when the issue doesn't happen, ie started windowed, then changing, it seems that it'll be a welcome change. Bugs are annoying, but you're all always quick to squash them. 

Best of luck with these beta weeks.