• Saving files onto local doesn't work properly

iRobSch
    • Public Status: Need More Info Files Uploaded: None

I have been trying to save a save file that was created on the Cloud onto my 'local' save tab so I can drag it from my Documents folder onto my back-ups folder like I always do. However, when I save it to my 'local' tab, it doesn't save it onto there but instead saves it back onto the Cloud. 
    For further investigation I tried to do this on FM21 to make sure that it wasn't an issue with my PC. However, this worked perfectly which means that it is indeed an issue on FM22.

#1: save files on my Cloud before saving any new files.
    #2: proof that it is indeed put on 'local' before clicking on 'save'. 
    #3: my Cloud space after saving it onto my local files.
    #4: my local files space after saving it onto my local files.

CNMPENr.png

rUuS3FI.png

31wfigC.png

31wfigC.png

• Steps To Reproduce:
      Save a file onto the cloud -> save another version of that save file with 'save game as' onto the local tab -> look at the results

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, John Kendall-Torry said:

Hi @iRobSch

In the last screen shot you provided its still selected as cloud, when you click on local is the save there?

Thanks 

My apologies, it appears I selected the wrong screenshot! 

P42h61R.png

Edited by iRobSch

• SI Staff

Hi @iRobSch

Thanks for the update, when you click on load game and select local do you see the save file "Beta save test" in there. If you don't see it click on browse and make sure the folder the game is saved to is showing?

Thanks 

Just now, John Kendall-Torry said:

Hi @iRobSch

Thanks for the update, when you click on load game and select local do you see the save file "Beta save test" in there. If you don't see it click on browse and make sure the folder the game is saved to is showing?

Thanks 

Regarding the first part, no, I don't see the "Beta Save Test" in my local directory. Regarding the 'browse' part, are you referring to the selection in the image below? If so, it is indeed properly set to the right folder on my PC.

nbzxGMy.png

• Administrators

Hi, it sounds like you had turned on Controlled Folder Access in your Windows 10 settings. 

Press Start and enter "Controlled Folder Access"

In these settings you can turn off the feature or "Allow an App through Controlled Folder Access" to enable FM to save in the Documents folder. 

Let me now how you get on, thanks

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Hi, it sounds like you had turned on Controlled Folder Access in your Windows 10 settings. 

Press Start and enter "Controlled Folder Access"

In these settings you can turn off the feature or "Allow an App through Controlled Folder Access" to enable FM to save in the Documents folder. 

Let me now how you get on, thanks

I just checked in my settings and this option has already been disabled. I already checked to see if this issue occurred on FM21, but it doesn't, so it seems to be an issue that only affects FM22. 
    My apologies for the late response, btw - I was limited from posting any new comments for 24 hours for some reason. Is there a way to avoid that for next time? 

• Administrators
    15 hours ago, iRobSch said:

I just checked in my settings and this option has already been disabled. I already checked to see if this issue occurred on FM21, but it doesn't, so it seems to be an issue that only affects FM22. 

Have you changed the user data folder (where the save files are kept) in your preferences? 

Is the account used on your computer to play the game an administrator? 

Typically a reason why you can't save the file in a folder (other than disk space) will be permissions related so it will be related to your system in some way

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Have you changed the user data folder (where the save files are kept) in your preferences? 

Is the account used on your computer to play the game an administrator? 

Typically a reason why you can't save the file in a folder (other than disk space) will be permissions related so it will be related to your system in some way

Regarding the first one - yes, I just checked and it's set to documents/FM22/games in my preferences.

Regarding the second - I'm using an account that plays the game as an administrator, which can already be confirmed since this works perfectly fine on any other version of FM, it's just FM22 that this saving issue appears on. 

Edited by iRobSch

• Administrators
    6 hours ago, iRobSch said:

Regarding the first one - yes, I just checked and it's set to documents/FM22/games in my preferences.

Regarding the second - I'm using an account that plays the game as an administrator, which can already be confirmed since this works perfectly fine on any other version of FM, it's just FM22 that this saving issue appears on. 

Just to check, where are your document exactly? 

Mine are as follows - C:\Users\Your Windows Username\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

Are yours exactly the same? 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to check, where are your document exactly? 

Mine are as follows - C:\Users\Your Windows Username\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

Are yours exactly the same? 

Mine are as follows - D:\Users\<myname>\OneDrive\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

Edited by iRobSch

• Administrators
    21 minutes ago, iRobSch said:

Mine are as follows - D:\Users\<myname>\OneDrive\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

Okay, it looked like this is due to the OneDrive being used. 

If you were to change the user data folder in preferences to something like: 

D:\Users\<myname>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

That should solve your issue. 

Let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Okay, it looked like this is due to the OneDrive being used. 

If you were to change the user data folder in preferences to something like: 

D:\Users\<myname>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

That should solve your issue. 

Let us know how you get on.

Hey, 

Thanks for the reply. However, the way my documents are set up there is no documents folder outside of the Onedrive directory.  Yet again, the issue mentioned above doesn't affect FM21, which is in the same directory - D:\User\<>\OneDrive\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2021\games
    So this means that it works on FM21 but doesn't on FM22. 

Another thing is that the issue is not saving a file onto my local folder, since that works when I create a new save file, but the issue appears when I try to save an already existing file from my cloud onto my local files. 

Edited by iRobSch

• Administrators
    3 minutes ago, Abdul2604 said:

Afternoon guys, hope you don't mind me chiming in here but I'm also having the exact same issue.

Please post your own thread for your own issue so we can help you directly, thanks

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Please post your own thread for your own issue so we can help you directly, thanks

:thup: will do.

Apologies as I didn't realize everyone had to have separate threads as I was having the same issue as the person who started the thread.

• Administrators
    5 minutes ago, Abdul2604 said:

Apologies as I didn't realize everyone had to have separate threads as I was having the same issue as the person who started the thread.

This has a tendency to confuse issues, unfortunately when some resolution works for one person, and not another -- that's why we'd rather separate threads per person. This way, we can give you tailored help. Thanks.

Hey, any updates here perhaps? I'm still experiencing this issue and it's now also affecting new save files meaning I can no longer save files onto my local folders and transport them through a USB stick. This is a really urgent issue as this seems to be an issue with FM22 and I to make sure this is solved before the full release and I'm stuck with it until the next update. 

• Administrators
    14 hours ago, iRobSch said:

Hey, any updates here perhaps? I'm still experiencing this issue and it's now also affecting new save files meaning I can no longer save files onto my local folders and transport them through a USB stick. This is a really urgent issue as this seems to be an issue with FM22 and I to make sure this is solved before the full release and I'm stuck with it until the next update. 

These instructions are for an older FM, but should work for FM22 and allow you to manually set the location outside of the OneDrive which should fix the problem - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r855/

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

On 30/10/2021 at 11:53, Neil Brock said:

These instructions are for an older FM, but should work for FM22 and allow you to manually set the location outside of the OneDrive which should fix the problem - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r855/

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

As mentioned above, I'm not going to save my save files outside of the Onedrive since there are no folders outside of it - that'd mean I would have to completely change my PC's set up just for FM22. The issue doesn't appear on FM21 which is also saved onto the Onedrive documents folder, so this is an issue solely occurring on FM22. 

Some more evidence that this is an issue with FM22: I am currently on my old laptop for the weekend as I'm not at home. I tried to do the exact same thing as above, so saving a file saved on my cloud onto my local files, and it didn't work yet again. The files on this laptop are saved to: C:\Users\Data Impact\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

• Administrators
    On 01/11/2021 at 10:59, iRobSch said:

As mentioned above, I'm not going to save my save files outside of the Onedrive since there are no folders outside of it - that'd mean I would have to completely change my PC's set up just for FM22. The issue doesn't appear on FM21 which is also saved onto the Onedrive documents folder, so this is an issue solely occurring on FM22. 

Some more evidence that this is an issue with FM22: I am currently on my old laptop for the weekend as I'm not at home. I tried to do the exact same thing as above, so saving a file saved on my cloud onto my local files, and it didn't work yet again. The files on this laptop are saved to: C:\Users\Data Impact\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\games

Saving outside of OneDrive is the only way if your system has configured itself to use OneDrive primarily for the purpose of your User Documents folder.

Windows as an operating system restricts access to programs saving in certain places if the permissions are not enabled for read/write access. 

Another potential alternative you can use is to modify the folders' security settings to allow "Everyone" on your system read and write permission to the folders.

18 hours ago, Lucas said:

Saving outside of OneDrive is the only way if your system has configured itself to use OneDrive primarily for the purpose of your User Documents folder.

Windows as an operating system restricts access to programs saving in certain places if the permissions are not enabled for read/write access. 

Another potential alternative you can use is to modify the folders' security settings to allow "Everyone" on your system read and write permission to the folders.

Lucas, I don't mean to sound rude, but it's obvious now that this isn't an issue with my PC, my setup, Onedrive, or whatever. The same issue occurs on my laptop, which only occurs on FM22, which doesn't occur on any other FM, clearly showing that it's an issue on FM22's side and not whatever is to blame on mine. 

To just show yet again what the setup on my laptop is like: C:\Users\Data Impact\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022, clearly showing there's no Onedrive connection here, but even though there isn't, the same issue occurs, and only on FM22. 

• Administrators
    1 hour ago, iRobSch said:

Lucas, I don't mean to sound rude, but it's obvious now that this isn't an issue with my PC, my setup, Onedrive, or whatever. The same issue occurs on my laptop, which only occurs on FM22, which doesn't occur on any other FM, clearly showing that it's an issue on FM22's side and not whatever is to blame on mine. 

To just show yet again what the setup on my laptop is like: C:\Users\Data Impact\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022, clearly showing there's no Onedrive connection here, but even though there isn't, the same issue occurs, and only on FM22. 

The issue really is, there's very few other people who have contacted us with this same issue, so it's clearly something related to the specific way you've set up your systems or a program you have installed on both machines. 

It may be this is a problem related to FM22, but it's one that only occurs with a very specific user configuration. We would suggest providing Belarc documents from both systems for comparison and analysis - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409225992209

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The issue really is, there's very few other people who have contacted us with this same issue, so it's clearly something related to the specific way you've set up your systems or a program you have installed on both machines. 

It may be this is a problem related to FM22, but it's one that only occurs with a very specific user configuration. We would suggest providing Belarc documents from both systems for comparison and analysis - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409225992209

Thanks. 

And may I ask what may be wrong with the 'setup' of my machines? First it was an issue with the Onedrive, but now that I've shown that it also doesn't work on a laptop that doesn't have it on Onedrive it's suddenly a very vague issue with my setup which can't be clarified? Also, your reasoning for why this is 'clearly' my issue isn't very strong either, considering the game's been out for two weeks and moving files from the Cloud to local isn't something everyone does daily. Several people have reported this and it doesn't work on either of my machines, has this been tested internally perhaps to see if it affects the SI staff's machines as well? 

Regarding "or a program you have installed on both machines", I can already tell you this isn't an issue since the PC is brand new and only has a select few files and programs installed onto it.