• Freeze between highlights

Asen Donchev
    • Public Status: Resolved Files Uploaded: None

The game freeze for 10-11 between every highlight. For example even between "text highlights" it will stay on any minute/second and will say "waiting for next highlight". It does that for 10-11 seconds and then move on. It's the same before and after "Key" highlight. It does it every time. Playing just one match takes about 15-17 minutes vs 4-5 minutes with the same settings and same machine on FM21. I'm using maximum "fastest" during "text only highlights" and "fastest" between "highlight", faster during key highlights

• Steps To Reproduce:
      Just play any footballl match

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm also seeing freezes in games.

• Verified local files in steam.
    • I removed all my custom graphics.
    • Deleted "%localAppdata%\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2022\Caches"
    • Made sure I have the latest GPU drivers
    • Tried 2D classic view.
    • Created a brand new career game.

The freezing still ocurred. Attached graphics config.txt from %localAppdata%\Sports Interactive\Footbal Manager 2022\Logs and one of the games where it was happening. Also uploaded a savegame to the ownCloud called "Oscar Busk - Arsenal.fm"

graphics config.txt Halmstads BK v Malmö FF.pkm

I am also experiencing this exact same issue. I am not running any custom graphics. Please advise on solutions steps, at the moment the game is essentially unplayable.

graphics config.txt

Edited by cde90
    adding attachment

I've verified that this behaviour is not present on my other machine.

To try to explain the issue. Each highlight plays fine, nice framerate, no stutter or such, then when the highlight comes to an end, the game, with UI and everything, completely freezes for maybe 5-10 seconds. And then it countinues. Same kind of thing happens even if I have full match on. It doesn't seem to be a graphical issue, but instead looks like some kind of processing issue that occurs between each highlight.

I've also attached a DxDiag for the machine with the freezing issue, in case it is GPU related anyway.

DxDiag.txt

I speculated that it something to do with the "nvidia optimus" feature on my razer blade 15. since that feature means it toggles the graphics between the iGPU and the GPU, and maybe stopping the 3d engine for each highlight would cause it? But that doesn't seem to be the case. I switched to only use the GPU and it's still the same.

I did learn one thing however; the freeze does not seem to occur when rewatching highlights of a previous game, only when playing an active game?

• Administrators
    On 13/11/2021 at 22:31, BullDozzer said:

I speculated that it something to do with the "nvidia optimus" feature on my razer blade 15. since that feature means it toggles the graphics between the iGPU and the GPU, and maybe stopping the 3d engine for each highlight would cause it? But that doesn't seem to be the case. I switched to only use the GPU and it's still the same.

I did learn one thing however; the freeze does not seem to occur when rewatching highlights of a previous game, only when playing an active game?

Sounds like it's more of a calculation problem rather than a physical display problem - are you running any other programs in the background at the same time? 

Anti-virus can sometimes interfere with the performance of games, so may be worth trying this and seeing if it help -  https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409234325137

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Sounds like it's more of a calculation problem rather than a physical display problem - are you running any other programs in the background at the same time? 

Anti-virus can sometimes interfere with the performance of games, so may be worth trying this and seeing if it help -  https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4409234325137

That seems to be exactly it actually. Added the fm.exe file as an exception to Windows Defender and it seems to play fine! Removed the exception and played again, and the freezes are there again. Had a look at task manager while the game was playing to see if it showed, and with every freeze, Antimalware Service Executable stepped up to 10-14%, equal to FM. It's not saturating the cores or anything, a single core is fluctuating near 90%, rest are idling.

I wonder what kind of activity the game does that causes antimalware to scan it? Is the game writing to any cache or something which would cause lot's of file writes or something?