• Full Match Engine (FME) and Quick Match Engine (QME) Statistics

mhaffy
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

For players who like immersion and use statistics when scouting/comparing players it is vital that the FME and QME give similar results so that such searches are not rendered useless.(I doubt if many people have computers powerful enough to be able to set the detail level such that the FME is used for their whole database; thus ensuring that all their statistics based player searches/comparison are consistent.)

I ran a full season test of the Premier League using the FME and then using the QME on the same base file. The Detailed Team Statistics for each team plus certain Player Statistics, only available for 20 players, were then collated in a spreadsheet for comparison purposes with "Real World" equivalents added where possible. I ran similar tests for FM21 to highlight discrepancies. . The spreadsheet results are shown below with FME versus QME comments shown in Blue and comments relating to "Real World" equivalents shown in Green. For game purposes it is the output of FME versus QME that matters with close alignment to the "Real World" equivalents being the icing on the cake.

The changes to this years FME and QME, as per the Beta, have improved things in lots of areas versus the situation in FM21, including versus "Real World" equivalents but there are still areas that need addressing.

Main areas FME versus QME are:

1) Headers Won % - I would expect the average Headers Won % to be 50% as in real world stats; if someone wins a header then someone else has lost the header. The average Headers Won % shown by FM22 FME for 21/22 season was 66% with the poorest team in Premier League winning 60% of their headers. For the QME spread was very similar with an average of 66% and the poorest team in the Premier League winning 62% of their headers. This surely has to be an error that presumably may have knock on effect to players stats....

2) The average Possession Lost for both FME and QME is significantly higher than the average Possession Won : FME 3,195 vs 2,799 and QME 4,452 versus 3,576. Seems strange, should they be the same (like headers won % should average 50%)? Difference possibly correct/intended and reflects teams losing possession unchallenged.....? Even if the difference is correct/intended the FME and QME are producing very different results and spreads.

3) Passes Completed and Passes spread (difference between Max and Min) are too low in the QME

4) Average Possession not 50% in QME but probably just rounding.

5) FME Average Crosses are too high versus QME (both far too high versus "Real World")

6) Tackles too low in QME

7) Clearances and Interceptions very different (all too high versus "Real World", particularly FME)

8) Player Key Passes and Key Passes/90 Mins very different

Adding Manager (to Chelsea) and doing advanced player search confirmed FME players have more Key Passes/90 Mins  

Players apppearing
                in Search
    Key Passes/90 mins FME QME
    at Least 4   7 3
    at Least 3   25 9
    at Least 2   169 118
    at Least 1   1416 1407

Similar result for Passes Completed/90

Players apppearing
                in Search
    Passes Comp/90 mins FME QME
    at Least 70 5 0
    at Least 60 29 3
    at Least 50 212 205
    at Least 40 1205 1188

9) Doing similar player searches to above for Interceptions/90 mins, Tackles/game, Headers Won/90 mins showed FME and QME to give consistent results, so no apparent issues re these stats for comparison purposes.

Many thanks to FM staff for the work on improving a lot of the stats issues that were reported in FM21; looking forward to further strides and improved consistency/comparability in the full game release.

The following pkm files, on which the test is based, have been uploaded : BetaStatsFME.fm   BetaStatsQME.fm

The collated stats extracts are and follows, with the spreadsheet also attached:

image.thumb.jpeg.6956f7d841c84d238b2cc324bbc07c93.jpeg

FM22_FMEvQMETest_Beta.xlsx

• Steps To Reproduce:
      For players search re 8) and 9) above you need to first add manager. Use existing profile which defaults to manageng Chelsea. Then go to player search and set appropriate advanced condition search to see players found.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Administrators

A couple of these aren't bugs:
    - Header won % is a bit higher because it counts uncontested headers in the box, where there's a win but no loss.
    - Possession won is lower than loss because there's ways to lose possession unforced e.g. putting a pass out of play.

Other issues have been noted and will be reviewed by the QA team but are fairly minor on the whole.

QME will never be 100% same as FME I'm afraid to say. 

Hopefully that's cleared it up for you, really appreciate the detail you went into. 

@mhaffy slightly off topic but just want to add that you dont need QME and FME values to be the same to make scouting effective. You should only be comparing a player to the league he is in and the quality of the league he is in compared to yours and thankfully when scouting players they give a octagon graph comparison of a player to the rest of their league.

Even in real life stats vary widely between leagues so you have to look at how a player compares to the rest of the league they are in and take into account the quality of their league.

Obvs the FME and QME being more consistent would be very good but just remember that your scouting based on stats can still be effective.

1 hour ago, Platinum said:

@mhaffy slightly off topic but just want to add that you dont need QME and FME values to be the same to make scouting effective. You should only be comparing a player to the league he is in and the quality of the league he is in compared to yours and thankfully when scouting players they give a octagon graph comparison of a player to the rest of their league.

Even in real life stats vary widely between leagues so you have to look at how a player compares to the rest of the league they are in and take into account the quality of their league.

Obvs the FME and QME being more consistent would be very good but just remember that your scouting based on stats can still be effective.

I agree with what you say and scouting on stats can still be effective. The point I was trying to convey is that significant differences between stats produced by FME Vs QME will limit the players that appear (based on your search criteria) who you may then decide to scout further. By way of example, at end of my 21/22 season at Chelsea Pulisic topped Key passes/90 with 4.29 and Callum Hudson Odoi was 2nd with 3.09. Their respective Passes Completed/90 stats were 30.99 and 33.78 based upon FME. If as part of a search for players with similar stats I set Key Passes/90 to be at least 3 and Passes Completed/90 to be at least 30 then only 31 players appeared that met these criteria for possible further scouting. However, only 7 of these 31 possibles were from QME leagues - consistent with my observations at 8) in initial post.

If the FME/QME stats for Key Passes/90 and Passes Completed/90 were more closely aligned then my search would have produced a larger selection of possibles for me to look into further.

6 hours ago, mhaffy said:

I agree with what you say and scouting on stats can still be effective. The point I was trying to convey is that significant differences between stats produced by FME Vs QME will limit the players that appear (based on your search criteria) who you may then decide to scout further. By way of example, at end of my 21/22 season at Chelsea Pulisic topped Key passes/90 with 4.29 and Callum Hudson Odoi was 2nd with 3.09. Their respective Passes Completed/90 stats were 30.99 and 33.78 based upon FME. If as part of a search for players with similar stats I set Key Passes/90 to be at least 3 and Passes Completed/90 to be at least 30 then only 31 players appeared that met these criteria for possible further scouting. However, only 7 of these 31 possibles were from QME leagues - consistent with my observations at 8) in initial post.

If the FME/QME stats for Key Passes/90 and Passes Completed/90 were more closely aligned then my search would have produced a larger selection of possibles for me to look into further.

Yeah that's a really good point, i didnt think of that

Thanks for doing this analysis. I'm glad they fixed dribbles in the QME. I quit playing FM21 when I noticed some of the stats, like dribbles, were so inaccurate.

On 27/10/2021 at 05:46, Rosey Palmer said:

Thanks for doing this analysis. I'm glad they fixed dribbles in the QME. I quit playing FM21 when I noticed some of the stats, like dribbles, were so inaccurate.

Agreed re dribbling; pleased too that improvements also made by SI since FM21 to other areas. Hopefully there will be progress in some of the areas that still need addressing when the full game is released.

Passing % completion being too high (particularly for poorer teams with lots of passes being made between DC etc) has been flagged in several Bug Tracker threads and, like this thread, are flagged as being "Under Review" This is consistent with stats from my tests with the Pass Completion % spread (between Best and Worst teams) being too narrow, versus Real World, for both FME and QME.