• Player becoming upset with squad depth seems unresolvable

kiwityke1983
    • Public Status: Resolved Save Game: Barnsleysquaddepthissue Files Uploaded: Save Game

Managing Barnsley with the Real world game option towards the end of the summer transfer window I noticed that my captain Jordan Williams was unhappy and loads of the squad supported him, which bemused me as nobody had come to me with an issue.

Clicking on his profile I quickly found out he was upset with the quality of depth in goal.

No problem he probably has a point we only had Roberts at 3.5* then Ben Killip at 1.5* and a youngster whose name I forget who isn't even 1*.

Maybe a week passes and the whole squad noq request a meeting, I promised to strengthen the goalkeeping department.

Which I did bringing in Brandon Austin from Spurs on a permanent deal. He's 2.5* current ability and 3.5* potential ability. So IMO a perfectly good backup goalkeeper for a club such as Barnsley. Very capable of playing in L1 our current league if required and has potential to get better.

This was not enough apparently and Williams decides he can no longer talk to me.

Fast forward to November and the media are saying I've lost the dressing room (laughable as we are top of the league having not lost a game at that point), so I look at the dynamics and yep its the good old I didn't strengthen the goalie department issue thats the cause, even though I did.

I'd chalk this up to bad luck but I've seen about 10 people on reddit and in the feedback thread complaining about this exact same issue. Exact same entire squad unhappy about the squad depth without anyone making a complaint then strengthening the squad and they are still upset.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It gets even sillier. At the end of November the problem has now resolved with Barry Cotter saying he no longer wishes to leave as the squad depth is fine...great except it was Jordan Williams who wanted to leave not Barry Cotter in the first place!

This thing just happened to me too. I managed Liverpool and M.Salah bring up lack of defends in squad-depth. He instantly become Unhappy without coming to me first with an issue. 

• SI Staff

Hello, the 'lost the dressing room' issue is known issue to do with manager rep, we should be resolved in a future update.

We've tried getting the lack of depth issue to reproduce internally but had no luck, do you have a save file from before players get unhappy?

The reason for change in unhappy players is Williams would have dropped the 'unh' but another player took over as the 'spokesman' for the unhappy players, and now the group unhappy has been dropped.

@NO ADJUST we will need a save game from before Salah gets unhappy, if there's enough players supporting a 'group' issue then there won't be a 1-1 meeting, it'll be a group meeting, so that's expected behaviour.

This problem is in the game for few years now but it rarely occurs thankfully...

Playing Napoli in beta. Juan Jesus in my backup CD, and around November first season he wants to leave (at time valued around 6m which is a joke for player with his attributes) and i say i will let him go at the first transfer window. Then i see that he is of course unhappy and there are few players supporting him. So, 1 january comes and i can barely sell him for 4m, and the just like that all players are unhappy since we dont have a CD squad depth (even though i have 4 CD and 2 of them are playing every 4th game since Serie A is easy and 2 starting CD's dont get tired). So now i have to buy another CD which will not be playing.... and every at least 3 star players is valued 30-40m+. My Ostigard that is also very good squad players with more that decent attributes is valued 11m.... Sometimes i have a felling that im not managing a professional football players rather the kindergarden children....

Played Inter Milan few years ago and Miranda(CD) was around 33 years old, and he wants to leave to finish his career in Brasil. So I let him do it and sell him to Gremio (i think). Next Icardi comes nagging why did i let good player and team leader go. In chat i did not have the option: BEACUSE HE WANTED TO GO and Icardi becomes mad (at that moment he had 2 years on his contract left). Year have passed and he is still pissed. Then out of nowhere he wants a new contract from me because he became a better player that he was before. So, happy me that he finally got over the anger and wants to renew his contract, when i want to give him one it says that he is mad at me (still because Miranda) and dont want to renew his contract. One week later he says i broke a promise cause i sad that i will give him a new contract and didnt.....ffs this doesnt happen very ofter but when you loose player like Icardi few years ago....as i big lover of FM and football in general i felt like someone tore my heart out :)     

Yeah had same issue, unhappy about lack of CD (had 3 good cbs and one 2 star), signed another 3 star and the promise was seen as unfulfilled. Am i supposed to have 6/7/8 CBs?

This is getting better by the minute.... sold Juan Jesus 2 star CD for 4 m, bought Caleb Okoli 2 star CD for 10m + 10m in bonuses and squad (and captain) are very upset because i didnt do my promise..... and bonus story, when all this is happening Bayern Munich offered 10m for Ostigard which i refused cause evidently we lack the depth in back, now some of the players are mad because i didnt want to give him a chance to play in stronger club.....he is not playing regularly in Napoli but he will in Bayern.... all this while we are on 20 unbeaten match streak.....won all 6 matches in Champion league and 19 in serie A without a defeat.... i wonder what would happen if we sucked... 

10 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, the 'lost the dressing room' issue is known issue to do with manager rep, we should be resolved in a future update.

We've tried getting the lack of depth issue to reproduce internally but had no luck, do you have a save file from before players get unhappy?

The reason for change in unhappy players is Williams would have dropped the 'unh' but another player took over as the 'spokesman' for the unhappy players, and now the group unhappy has been dropped.

@NO ADJUST we will need a save game from before Salah gets unhappy, if there's enough players supporting a 'group' issue then there won't be a 1-1 meeting, it'll be a group meeting, so that's expected behaviour.

Sadly I don't have a save file before the player became unhappy.

My reputation shouldn't be a problem as I used the recommended qualifications and experience for the club at the start of the game.

So I should be good enough for the club.

Yeah I'e encountered the same issues while playing with Union Berlin and Wrexham. How does it make sense that the whole squad is unhappy with the squad depth? Firstly the clubs are broke, secondly if they are unhappy with the squad depth then it means they are saying they themselves are crappy players? :idiot: It really sucked because nothing I say is okay for them, we're off to a good first couple of games but due to this dumb nonsense morale sank and results tanked.

15 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hi, I have uploaded my save named M.Salah become Unhappy cause lack of squad-depth.fm on the SI cloud. Yes it's a group meeting so you say this is normal? You mean players instanly become unhappy on your first month of management at the club is normal? Even when I actually manage to finish on top of the table with Liverpool first season after that? I have played FM since it's CM and players becoming unhappy at you because you lost 5-6 games in row  is "Normal" but players becoming unhappy at the start of the save with their reason "Lack of defends" while I got 4 players who can play at CB isn't.

Look at my image uploaded below. This is normal for the start of your every saves?

Screenshot 2023-10-22 133450.png

Edited by NO ADJUST

22 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

I have the exact same issue again! 

I have two save files for this one before the bristol rovers match where nobody is upset and one after when the entire squad has lost their minds and demanded a team meeting. (but I can not for the life of me find where to upload these)!

I'm amazed you can't replicate this internally I've seen so many people have the issue and I've had it twice I'm in January of the first season!

I think I've worked out what caused it this time.

I let McCart go back to Rotherham cancelling his loan as he'd barely played and their manager was complaining and I sold Robbie Cundy again because he'd barely played. I also signed Brooklyn-Lyons from Spurs as he's a good L1 player with Championship potential.

The squad were unhappy about our depth at central defence but accepted I'm trying to give youth a chance as we have a number of good defensive prospects once we had the meeting. 

Either way this seems a massive over reaction from the squad to call a team meeting within a single day because we'd done a few transfers out and one in...at least give it a week or two!

Edited by kiwityke1983

I've experienced the same issue.

• Started a save at Bayern, in the first transfer window T.Müller got unhappy because of lacking depth at center back.
    • bought a 3-4 star central defender, which did not resolve his issue
    • issue resolved itself after the transfer window (it said hes happy with the depth now, even though the window was long closed)
    • winter transfer window and T,Müller is unhappy again, same reason as before.

Might be of note: one of my centre backs is currently on international duty (Asian Nations Cup). maybe that is affecting it?

I've uploaded a save before Müller got unhappy - "Bayern - Müller happy.fm" and one after the issue - "Bayern - Müller unhappy.fm"

As general feedback, in the conversation a simple "we don't have budget for that" option is missing for me. I'm not gonna be able to get squad depth with 700k transfer budget.

I'm facing such issues with Wrexham now. I have made some transfers and brought in League One/Championship quality players midway through my League Two campaign, I'm top of the table by 14 points after 28 games, we're in great form AND yes FM24 has to choose to throw a spanner like this that doesn't even make sense! Why do I need to bring in players when what I have is enough, and when I tell them that many are still unhappy! 

And how can the WHOLE squad be unhappy about lack of squad depth? Should I replace ALL of them since they are implying that they are not good enough for the club? Stop making things more difficult for NO REASON. Do we need to have a full squad of 45 star players?

And there is nothing wrong with my profile as I mentioned in another thread, my mentals are 18 across the board and I'm a Global level international for a League Two side. 

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

• SI Staff

Thank you for the examples and save games @kiwityke1983 & @NO ADJUST, we have reproduced this internally and now have under investigation.

To answer your questions @NO ADJUST - Yes, a group meeting is normal behaviour for this as it's a group issue. Players are unhappy at this point as transfer window is due to close in just over a week, so they're giving you warning they expect more depth. This doesn't happen with 'every save', and when the group of players is concerned there's not enough depth yes, there will be a large group of players supporting the spokesperson of the group.

In previous FMs, we were able to speak to them about dropping their concerns or speak to the captain to try to get them to resolve it. FM 24 no longer gives us that option and that is pitiful. A player left because they really wanted to. Their teammate got upset and I told them that we had depth there. The replacement is playing well but the upset player won't drop their concern.

Players run clubs now apparently.

If they dont like something the boss does, then they constantly complain.  Even though we have made improvements, or we are slowly rebuilding the squad. 

This is not realistic.  I wouldnt run my dressing room like this or my team like this.  If I am manager, I am the  boss.  What I say goes.  As a player your job is to play football.  My job is to help you win matches by putting together a team and tactics that do so.   Players dont dictate who comes and goes from clubs.  While they may have opinions, its not healthy to a team.  I dont think Sir Alex would appreciate this part of this game at all.  its simply unrealistic and should have the option to turn off, which of course in the editor we can edit morale.  But still, this seems to be a bit overkill.

• SI Staff

Hi @pokeboy_808

Can you please create a new thread and provide a save game, because internally and externally the option for the captain or user or agent to speak to the player is still there, so we need to see that specific example showing your issue, thank you.

Have the same issue with Real Madrid. Transfers in first period turned off, but moved Castillia players to first squad. Still a lot of players complain about a lack of CB's. At the moment I have 6(!) CB's in the first squad (7 with injured Militao).

So, do existing defenders also complain about the lack of defenders, or do their team mates just have total lack of respect towards existing defenders in the team?

Then, in a month, the old CB complains about the lack of play time, and then they'll support him for being right for wanting more play time, despite it being a consequence of them asking you to bring in more defenders?

It's just mind boggling.

Is there an option to say "don't you trust your existing team mate to do a good job? Did you look him in the eye and told him "Mate, I'll go ask coach to replace you tomorrow"?"