• Space collision between strikers and attacking mezzala or cm in the 3-5-2

avenger22
    • Public Status: Open Screenshot: PKM / REC File: IntervJuventus.pkm Files Uploaded: Screenshot, PKM / REC File

After playing Football Manager for years, I've encountered a persistent issue. Despite the improvements in positional play, especially in terms of fixing positional problems and space congestion in the latest version, a particular problem remains. For instance, in a 3-5-2 DM WB formation, the two central midfielders CM(A) or MEZZ(A) exhibit excellent box-attacking behavior. However, the problem lies in their tendency to collide and congest the space with the two strikers, who play as Advanced Forwards (AF).

In reality, the ideal scenario is that when the midfielders advance into the box, the strikers should adjust by becoming more narrow and shifting towards each other. This allows the advancing midfielder to exploit the half-space. Unfortunately, in the game, both the strikers and the midfielders seem to occupy the same space simultaneously, appearing as if they are about to collide shoulder to shoulder.

In real-life scenarios, the AF would notice the midfielder's advance, becoming slightly more narrow and leaving the half-space for the advancing midfielder in a 3-5-2 DM WB formation. However, in the game, they often share the same space, creating a less-than-ideal visual and spatial representation.

Upon reviewing a specific match, illustrated in the provided PKM file, several instances highlight this issue.
    For example, at 18:37, Barella becomes more narrow than the strikers when the ball is on the left, while the striker remains wide, seeking the half-space. This should be the reverse the strikers narrowing while the midfielders attack the half-space.

At 20:10, there's a collision and shared space between the MEZZ and the AF, obstructing each other's paths. The striker should be narrower, attacking the center-back, while the MEZZ occupies the available space and attack the channels. The positional play should ensure that each player has a distinct channel, but in these cases, both players occupy the same space, limiting my ability to influence the situation and is something which mentality, player and team instruction doesn't influence and is something regarding the ME not tactical choices.

At 22:00 and 22:09, it's evident that the MEZZ of Juventus and their strikers share the same space, resulting in collisions. In this PKM, which features two teams playing a 3-5-2 WB DM with two CMs, there are numerous instances of collision. This issue has persisted for quite some time and needs attention.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I can provide more info and more PKM if it is needed, also the screenshoots are related to the timestamps and it is in 2D so the space congestion can be seen better, thanks in advance.