• Set Piece Coach A.I needs improving

The About Average Jake
    • Public Status: Open Files Uploaded: None

3rd season with City.

Up to now I've controlled the set plays and was successful and scoring and defending corners. 

I've since signed a very good set piece coach and decided to let the A.I take over to see if it could improve an already decent attacking/defensive play.

Short answer... It can't.

What is the point in set piece coaches? The A.I make some really weird decisions with both attacking and defending. 

Since I've let him take over we've conceded a goal in roughly a quatre of our games, surely a good coach would make us water tight at the back and dangerous up top.

He's just made us worse and to top it off he has Rico Lewis (smallest man on earth) attacking the 6 yard box! 

It makes me wonder what other aspects of coaching aren't working as they should.

Football Manager Screenshot 2023.11.24 - 21.32.54.41.png

Football Manager Screenshot 2023.11.24 - 21.35.48.38.png

Football Manager Screenshot 2023.11.24 - 21.39.19.95.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's beyond a joke now. Can't score from set plays and  have conceded a goal from a corner in  close to 50% of my league matches.

What are the set piece coaches for? 

Football Manager Screenshot 2023.11.24 - 23.36.35.42.png

Edited by The About Average Jake

Do agree with this, think its more in the players they select for certain roles.

If you put it back to normal you'll see why with the attributes it weights for the various roles for example for counters from corners it will choose pacy players, so if you have a fast DM or Wingback then the AI will put him up top over a slightly slower striker.

It has some logic in it once you look into it but would be good if the AI set piece coach also considered players roles when setting up counters and never put defensive or midfield players up on the halfway line over attacking players as I can get here with Udogie:

image.png.5505798951eee02cfbce31451e14c7ac.png

Seems that pace overrules dribbling and finishing, and that my strikers who are taller than Maddison end up staying back, Udogie with this lineup stays back as he is tall:

image.png.222f95d9b2fee43c2952c7173fe94d9e.png

Something that is new and will likely improve with feedback Id hope. Perhaps if he could assign by roles first then attributes then we'd get a better setup.

Edited by dunk105