• Extremely high GPU usage during matches for absolutely no reason.

GunmaN1905
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Posted in the general topic, was told to make a topic here, hopefully as many people as possible post, so we can get to the bottom of this.

Anyhow, here it goes.

I've got a 5700XT and in way more intensive GPU games I won't approach anywhere near 80% usage. Even AAA titles will hover around 70 to 80%, because I get CPU bottlenecked (i7-7740x). In less GPU demanding games, like for example CSGO, I won't go above 40% usage while outputting consistent 350fps+. That game is obviously not GPU demanding, either, but is a good benchmark and is obviously way more demanding than FM's ME. Just using it as a reference, it's around 40% usage, while running both twitch and youtube at 1080p at the same time on secondary monitors. Just to put things into perspective.

In FM23 , it's instant and permanent 90%+ as soon as the match starts, even when highlights are not being shown. On maxed out settings, as the game itself obviously recommends. It never, ever drops below 90% and it's pretty much a recipe to burn out the GPU.

This is what it looks like as soon as ME is active. Doesn't drop off even when there's nothing happening, but the match is just processing until the next highlight. Changing to 2D makes no difference, either. So it's not a graphical issue, but the ME's resource usage. Not an expert, but that's easy to figure out.

Untitled.thumb.png.b1712eed16196cceaf0d5a2ee79a3e6f.png

As you can see, it instantly maxes out the card at 2000 MHz and 100% usage. It's an 8GB card, so it's using 4GB, which is not right.

Tried several driver versions, despite everything working perfectly in other games, tried with default and custom performance settings. Not the issue. Even if I disable secondary monitors and just use the main one.

Even if I put everything down to low and use 60fps, which is ridiculous, considering I've got a high refersh rate monitor, it's still going to be at ~50% usage.

2.thumb.png.6362b1d2a62786ee9f5cb48bb4073e5a.png

Second screenshot is with absolutely everything very low or off, 30fps limited, 25% render scale. So even with lowest possible settings, that should be able to run decently on a toaster, the game is using my relatively high end card at 50%.

Both those screenshots are with all other apps closed, even basic stuff. Pretty much nothing except for essential windows stuff, steam and FM.

As soon as I'm out of the match, GPU usage doesn't go over 5% if I've got all other apps turned off. ME for some reason takes all the resources it doesn't need at all.

Again, it's most definitely not my system, because this issue doesn't happen in a single other game. I'll gladly help out, I just don't know which diagnostic tools could help you, GPU-Z and HWMonitor have nothing to record live performace as far as I know. Uploading a video is also pointless, because there are no glitches in the game, it just uses way too much GPU resources. Meanwhile, CPU is fine, usage as expected.

Uploading my save would be pointless, either. Tried it with small database, only a couple of leagues loaded, still the same. It's just the ME.

Even when I try to watch a match between two AI teams, it's the same.

Some other posters said they're experiencing the same thing, even worse (or better, depending on how you look at it) with nvidia cards, which eliminates the possibility of my card or drivers being the issue.

For me personally, this didn't happen when the beta was just released, but I didn't play after the first week of beta up until some days ago. I thought it would go away with full release, but it's still the same.

I only figured it out because I've got the fancurve set up so fans go to high speed at max GPU usage, which never happened and as soon as I heard them being so loud, I knew something was going on.

Hopefully you guys can get to the bottom of this, I'll post this topic in the main forum, I hope everyone who has issues gives some input on how it affects their GPU usage and we figure this out.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm having the same issue. I played the BETA until the last day and didn't have any issues. Since the full release it's been a big issue.

I had same when i go to play on MK DONS stadium, before on little stadiums in 6th league it was not problem.

few days ago nVidia upgraded drivers

BTW i have same problem now in 6th English league too... but i thought it is cause i play on full live matches processing from all leagues in game (123+ leagues)

Firstly on MK DONS stadium helped me disabled shadows

Edited by myfunnygame

Same problem here and I have an Nvidia card (3060 Ti). The situation gets exceptionally bad right after a match ends, where the GPU usage is over 90% and I can even hit 75 degrees Celsius. The usage starts coming down once I get back to the inbox, but it's clear that there's a problem (either because of Nvidia or because of SI).

• Administrators

GPUs are able to run at much higher temps than that so that isn't really a sign of an issue. The game is designed to maximise graphical performance using the card.

Just to be clear is the match engine still appearing on screen at the point when it's running high? Does it increase beyond levels it's already at from the match when it's playing out? 

Hey! I have almost the same problem, but when I start to run the game. It's lagging and I can hear weird noise from GPU (3070 ti). After that, I found out that my video card is 90-100 per cent loaded when I start the game. After I load my career, lags disappear but I can hear this noise and gpu load gets higher while I'm moving my cursor. I fixed it once somehow (just waited for the loading screen to pass and loaded my save) and I didn't experience any problems until today.  I don't think this error is related to the video card drivers because when I first experienced this problem I had a new version of the driver installed. 

UPD: --disable_flip_discard  launch option fixed it.

Edited by iceezze

• Administrators
    13 hours ago, iceezze said:

Hey! I have almost the same problem, but when I start to run the game. It's lagging and I can hear weird noise from GPU (3070 ti). After that, I found out that my video card is 90-100 per cent loaded when I start the game. After I load my career, lags disappear but I can hear this noise and gpu load gets higher while I'm moving my cursor. I fixed it once somehow (just waited for the loading screen to pass and loaded my save) and I didn't experience any problems until today.  I don't think this error is related to the video card drivers because when I first experienced this problem I had a new version of the driver installed. 

UPD: --disable_flip_discard  launch option fixed it.

Thanks for clarifying the --disable_flip_discard resolved your issue. Could you please post your DxDiag so we have a better picture of a machine which was affected by this?

Details on how to do so here - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997195057553

Thanks. 

On 29/12/2022 at 21:52, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for clarifying the --disable_flip_discard resolved your issue. Could you please post your DxDiag so we have a better picture of a machine which was affected by this?

Details on how to do so here - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997195057553

Thanks. 

It doesnt resolve the issue at all . It just disables it . Please get your terminology correct . 

• Administrators
    36 minutes ago, alian62 said:

It doesnt resolve the issue at all . It just disables it . Please get your terminology correct . 

Just to be clear, the user came back and confirmed that by using the launch option it fixed their issue. 

Yes by running the launch option is disables certain code in game, but the issue itself is resolved for them being disabling this code.