• "He has no interest in working alongside you as a childrens entertainer"

StephenCronin
    • Public Status: Resolved Files Uploaded: None

Hi, I saw someone say they got this message in game (but they didn't have a screenshot), so I took a look and found the string in languages\english.ltc:

image.png.e5a7279c24dca38478fbb8ed412d9545.png

There is another instance of "childrens entertainer" a few lines below in a slightly different message. I have no idea under what conditions that will be actually used, but it doesn't look right!

Looking at the messages around it, there is one for assistant manager, physio, scout, but not one for coach... So I guess it should be coach?

This is the WinterDB version I'm looking at, inside the patch.1303270531.com.sega.soccer.manager.obb file. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• Administrators

Hi, thanks for raising this issue.

Do you know the person who raised this issue initially? Ideally, we would need a save game to investigate this further.

If you happen to have a save game showing this string, please upload the file to OwnCloud and let us know the name of the save.

Let us know how you get on, please? Thanks.

11 hours ago, Jimmy Wong said:

Hi, thanks for raising this issue.

Do you know the person who raised this issue initially? Ideally, we would need a save game to investigate this further.

If you happen to have a save game showing this string, please upload the file to OwnCloud and let us know the name of the save.

Let us know how you get on, please? Thanks.

Sorry, the person who said that wasn't on here. I think they were in the 3rd party Discord server and I can't remember who they were.

However, you don't need the save. I realise that is standard operating procedure for support, but as I've screenshotted above, the phrase is in the languages\english.ltc file in the patch.1303270531.com.sega.soccer.manager.obb file. SI Games generates this file as part of building the distributable app submitted to Google Play, so you already have access to this somewhere in your organisation.  I've attached it for you just in case though.

My guess is that it should say "He has no interest in working alongside you as a coach" rather than "as a childrens entertainer". 

I understand the save would help you work out how the message was triggered, but in the absence of that, I think you can probably try to answer why that sentence exists for "physio", "scout", "assistant manager" and "childrens entertainer", but not for "coach"... :)

english.ltc

• SI Staff

There is code to display coach-related strings here so it's going to be something other than the string being wrong, this string is present as a fail-safe in the case of a serious error condition. A save would be needed to track this down really.

8 hours ago, Alari Naylor said:

There is code to display coach-related strings here so it's going to be something other than the string being wrong, this string is present as a fail-safe in the case of a serious error condition. A save would be needed to track this down really.

Ah, okay, thanks... As I said though, it didn't happen for me, it was someone else and I'm not even sure who. And it was 5 weeks ago, so the chances of getting a save for this are pretty much nil...

I'd still argue that the fallback string should be coach and not children's entertainer. Or you could go the other way and change assistant manager to head babysitter! :D 

• SI Staff

Hello @StephenCronin. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately without a save game where the message is occurring we cannot investigate the issue any further at this time. If anyone does encounter this message in the future please let us know and send us a save file and we can look into it further.

4 minutes ago, Ewan Aiton said:

Hello @StephenCronin. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately without a save game where the message is occurring we cannot investigate the issue any further at this time. If anyone does encounter this message in the future please let us know and send us a save file and we can look into it further.

@Ewan Aiton I'm a bit lost for words to be honest. You don't need a save file to fix the string in the language file. Even if it is just a fail safe as @Alari Naylor pointed out, leaving it as children's entertainer instead of changing it to coach (which it clearly should be) seems... Well I don't have a polite term for it. Maybe "lazy" is the nicest word. Or "asking for trouble".

Unless it's an Easter egg or an in joke for the development team? Maybe I could understand that! 

But taking it at face value, it does make me regret taking the time to search through the obb file to find where in the installation files the term came from. I thought pointing you to the exact file and location that needed to be fixed was being helpful, but I guess it was a waste of time...

• SI Staff

What we would ideally want to do is to identify and fix the error condition that would cause the failsafe string to display, rather than hide the error by changing the string. An error of this sort has the potential to cause instability further into a savegame, so an error message that would motivate someone to report the issue is the idea here. We could potentially reword it into something else that would still be reportable but less weird.

8 hours ago, Alari Naylor said:

What we would ideally want to do is to identify and fix the error condition that would cause the failsafe string to display, rather than hide the error by changing the string. An error of this sort has the potential to cause instability further into a savegame, so an error message that would motivate someone to report the issue is the idea here. We could potentially reword it into something else that would still be reportable but less weird.

Sorry, I was a little frustrated with my last message! I normally try not to be one of those users, but just couldn't understand it - so thanks for explaining it. 

• SI Staff

It's me btw who puts these weird strings in - they're only for race conditions which should NEVER occur and intended to get us save games/attention when there is an issue in the game which we might otherwise not become aware of.

In the instance you describe here the person has an invalid job set - this means that the game doesn't know what data is valid for him and how it should behave, thus your indication that it should just say 'coach' would be confusing if the person in question was say a 'physio' and all the game can do at this point is guess.

The way it works is the game repairs itself when this occurs but display the string in the hope that someone reports it so we can figure out what is happening and ensure its properly fixed (as I would prefer bugs not to be present in the game). 

On 20/07/2022 at 08:57, Marc Vaughan said:

It's me btw who puts these weird strings in - they're only for race conditions which should NEVER occur and intended to get us save games/attention when there is an issue in the game which we might otherwise not become aware of.

In the instance you describe here the person has an invalid job set - this means that the game doesn't know what data is valid for him and how it should behave, thus your indication that it should just say 'coach' would be confusing if the person in question was say a 'physio' and all the game can do at this point is guess.

The way it works is the game repairs itself when this occurs but display the string in the hope that someone reports it so we can figure out what is happening and ensure its properly fixed (as I would prefer bugs not to be present in the game). 

A bit slow to respond sorry, but thanks for the thorough explanation Marc.

On 15/06/2022 at 13:28, Ewan Aiton said:

If you want the save game I have one Screenshot_20231023_040202_FM23Mobile.thumb.jpg.af0b847012f5656985731560cb767911.jpg

8 hours ago, Ewan Aiton said:

Hello @joshuap. If you have a save for this that you could upload that that would be fantastic.

I tried to and it says the file size is too large

I could send it over something like discord